[PP-F1] Lost (Mari)

Pepper could hear Ma talking to her, but she was too focused. She stabbed down and killed the boar, sending it into a shattering mess before it disappeared. She received 45 Col and 1 boar meat, which she had no use for. With a cocky smile, she looked up. At first, she saw the feet of two players, and she could hear someone talking to Oske. Did Ma make a new friend?

Pepper’s eyes rose to the red tag. Her heart fell into her stomach, and her eyes flashed with the images of her mother shattering before her eyes and the player with the axe smiling as his label became orange. A PKer. Someone who had murdered someone, taking them out of the world forever.

Pepper was no better.

She killed someone.

With her mind and body overloaded with emotion, Pepper collapsed on the ground, shaking as she hugged her own knees and began to sob.

ID: 10231

BD: 7 (1dmg + 2swordskill = 3dmg)

Mob: 9 (1dmg+ 1 crit = 2 dmg)

LD: 15 (Health x 5 = col)

Pepper: 11/13 

Boar: 0/7 DEAD

Reward: 45 Col, 1 boar meat

• 2 weeks later...

"You know, she's pretty strong." Mari commented toward Oske, watching as Pepper had managed to fall a boar. The young girl seemed adamant, poised and well composed. "Guess it's a good thing she has you to fall back on mmm?" Mari asked, turning her blue eyes to Oske. Her voice, managing to soften. It was endearing to see such a relationship between the two.

Mari turned her eyes back to Pepper, only to notice that the girl had completely changed; no longer was the child an image of strength and confidence. She was curled up into a ball in the fetal position. Legs tightly pressed against her chest, hands against her head - and the faint sound of sobbing. Mari - for an instant, forgot about Oske, and her relationship with Pepper, instead - Mari rushed forward.

Skidding to a halt beside Pepper Mari fell to her knees, in one quick motion she had bought up her HUD; pulling out a champagne coloured blanket and wrapping it around Peppers shoulders. "Hey, hey are you ok?" Mari asked, voice riddled with concern.

Oske watched in horror as Pepper completely shut down. She rushed over with Mari as the pink haired woman gave her daughter a blanket... yet the presence of Mari seemed to be making the little girl shake even more. She wasn’t responding. “Pepper, it’s okay,†she stuttered. She glanced at Mari before speaking again. “It seems she has trauma relating to PKers; she hasn’t told me yet what happened but whenever she sees the orange tag she has a panic attack.â€

Oske gently set her hands on Pepper’s shoulders, rubbing her adopted daughter’s arms in hopes to calm her down. She kissed the little girl’s forehead and pat her head. Pepper still wasn’t responding. "Pepper, it's okay... shhh..." As Oske's voice faded into a hushed whisper, Pepper's shaking seemed to slow down a little bit, but she was still crying and not responding. "Shhhhh....."

It seemed that Mari's presence only made it worse. Mari sat back, removing her arms from Pepper's back. Mari had assumed that the sudden outburst had something to do with the boar, but she was wrong. Oske whisked in to comfort Pepper - and had a much more effective time in doing so. Oske explained the scenario. Whenever Pepper saw an orange tag, she'd go into this reclusive panic attack mode. 

Mari shuffled back, then stood up. Mari, dusting herself off cleared her throat. "Then it's simple." She muttered with a downcast gaze. "You get rid of the problem." Mari shrugged as she stepped around the huddled ball that was Pepper, and her adoptive mother, Oske. "Later." Mari gave Oske a small wave as she chose to move away from the two.

It was a scenario she was used to; being a PKer - still, Mari felt more bothered than usual by the current predicament. "Perhaps I should start actin' the way everyone treats me." She muttered under her breath.

As the PKer slowly began to walk away, Pepper faded back to reality. There was a blanket around her shoulders. The pink haired woman was walking away, and she knew Oske didn't have that blanket to begin with. Pulling her hands up, she wrapped the blanket around herself a little tighter. How could she treat the PKer that way? Pepper was in almost the same situation, just with no label. She rose to her feet, to Oske's surprise, and ran over to the woman.

"Thank you f-for your blanket, m-miss," Pepper stuttered, holding out the blanket to return it as Oske slowly began to walk toward the two.

Mari stopped when she was interrupted; Pepper - the dark skinned blonde girl had ran in front of Mari, and Mari had to take a few steps back to stop herself from stepping all over the young girl. Mari blinked as she tried to hold the blanket up to Mari. "Keep it." Mari said as she picked it up, and dropped it over Pepper's head so it completely covered the girl, in a literal blanket of darkness.

"You look like you may need it more than I do."

Oske smiled slightly.

It was true that this woman--this PKer--Mari, had been a little rude to begin with... well, a lot rude. She made Oske feel like complete crap, and yet Oske enjoyed her presence. It was like Mari was an older version of Pepper. Even Pepper, who was usually terrified of PKers and often times was a jerk, warmed up pretty damn quick to the woman. Oske pulled up her menu. "Hey, I know you probably don't like me that much, but... I was wondering if maybe you and I could be friends. I know it's stupid, but... In all honesty, I don't have many friends that are girls right now, and I'd love to be a part of your life... and not an annoying part."

Mari turned away from Oske as the brunette offered her a smile, "The hell are you smiling at?" Mari muttered, as she scratched her cheek with her nail, placing one hand on her hip. "I just made yer daughter cry." She added. It was only as Oske suggested that they be friends did Mari turn to look at her, a look of both shock and confusion on her face.

"Excuse me?" She asked, her tone surprised rather than bitter or angry. Why on earth would this woman want to befriend Mari? Mari stared at the be-speckled woman for a few silent moments before giving her head a slight shake. "You misjudge me for someone who gives a damn." Mari muttered coldy as she walked away; pausing just long enough to turn her head over her shoulder; offering Oske more words.

"Better off not doing that; Safer for you-" Mari glanced down to Pepper, "And her." 

With those words Mari left the two to their own devices.

Friend? Who needed those?

-Mari Leaves the RP -