I'm a new member to this forum so I apologize if this has been suggested before. Reading over the current avaible quests I was looking for something with lots of opportunity for dialog and interaction. That's when I came up with the idea of a murder mystery quest.

The quest would start out with the player randomly receiving an invitation to a strange dinner party. Shortly upon arrival to the party one of the guests will be murdered. In a detailed 21 posts or more, the player will have to search the house, and talk to the other guests to try and figure out who the murder is. The player will use the basic loot rules already implemented to determine their succsus in looking for various clues, 1-14 fail, 15+ succsus. For the purpose of the quest the players BD will determine their succsus when questioning the party guests. 1-5 fail, 6-10 succsus, all buffs to the BD will be negated for this quest.

In order to finish the quest the player must call all the party quests together and present their case. In order for them to be successful the player must determine a motivation for the murder, the true manor in which the victim was killed, and provided two additional pieces of evidence that would point to their suspect being the murderer. Once the murderer has been called out, they will attack the player(the murder will have the same amount of health as the highest lvl player in the party). Once the player has defeated the murderer the quest will end.

I'm not sure what the rewards would be, but I think it would be cool if the player was granted a title like detective or investigator in addition to any other rewards.

Feedback is always appreciated! Let me know what you think!

This sounds too complex to be a quest, perhaps it could be a GM run event. Either way, I actually kind of like it. I'm always interested in story-based rather than combat-based quests. Not 100% sure we could implement it into the system though. For example--in SAO, there isn't wounds or blood to a murder. They get hit and poof, they're gone. It also is very similar to a canon episode. I do like the concept though, it's just that it wouldn't fit in our system as is.

This actually also reminds me of an episode of one of my favorite shows, Psych :P

I was actually thinking about getting several players together to start some site wide events and mysteries once I had an idea nailed down. I think combat lends itself very well to a quest centric format, though you can certainly do some very interesting things with it.

I think you could do a player event, where OOC it's a quest, but IC it's not. These could be some interesting social situations. To be different, they would require GM interaction, however, just like with quests, you could set up some pre-requisites. 

You could do, say, notable world events. Say a starter quest would be how your character responded to Kayaba gathering everyone in the town of beginnings to reveal what was really going on. The quest requirement would be a series of bullet points that need to be hit.

<<Welcome To SAO>>

Quest type: World event (non-combat)

Prerequisite: Character level 1 (time travel/flashback mode OK)

Story-requirements:

2 Pages long

What was your character doing before being summoned

How did your character's appearance change before and after IRL appearances were set

How did your character respond to the new of people really being able to die

How did your character cope with the panic after the players were set free

What did your character do immediately following the announcement and before they left the Town of Beginnings

(etc...)

I like the direction in which you are going, like i said in the post above. I think it would be cool to have some quests/events that would encourage more dialog and interaction rather then just combat dialog. I especially like the idea of trying to extract information to meet a goal, the anime had players who operated as information brokers. It would be awesome to incorporate something like that here.

I agree with you, that it would be nice to have some "flavor quests" that aren't just combat related.

I had had this idea for trying to discover the floor boss. In lore, the dungeon for the 10th floor is the "Thousand Snake Castle" or Dungeon. I can't remember.

My idea was that there was a quest someone could take, and each completed quest would drop a "map fragment." Once the community had gathered X amount of these fragments, they could discover the location of the boss room. I really like the idea of community collaboration events as well. Get everyone together and working towards a common goal.

I could see something like this for quests as well, something that requires players to get together, but for non-combat related tasks. Or have a quest with certain requirements, but maybe only the first people to complete it get the reward? The GM's could post some clues, and some benchmark-requirements, and the first crew to complete it got a clue, or some piece of the puzzle.

Hey now!
I am a GM too!

Haha.

There was a discussion about a few ideas in the skype chat today which I will probably be implementing into a future quest.

I like my quests to have more to them rather than just battling, as some may have noticed with guardian of fire - where you have to travel 2 days, have harsh environments and so on and so forth.

I'm a new member to this forum so I apologize if this has been suggested before. Reading over the current avaible quests I was looking for something with lots of opportunity for dialog and interaction. That's when I came up with the idea of a murder mystery quest.

The quest would start out with the player randomly receiving an invitation to a strange dinner party. Shortly upon arrival to the party one of the guests will be murdered. In a detailed 21 posts or more, the player will have to search the house, and talk to the other guests to try and figure out who the murder is. The player will use the basic loot rules already implemented to determine their succsus in looking for various clues, 1-14 fail, 15+ succsus. For the purpose of the quest the players BD will determine their succsus when questioning the party guests. 1-5 fail, 6-10 succsus, all buffs to the BD will be negated for this quest.

In order to finish the quest the player must call all the party quests together and present their case. In order for them to be successful the player must determine a motivation for the murder, the true manor in which the victim was killed, and provided two additional pieces of evidence that would point to their suspect being the murderer. Once the murderer has been called out, they will attack the player(the murder will have the same amount of health as the highest lvl player in the party). Once the player has defeated the murderer the quest will end.

I'm not sure what the rewards would be, but I think it would be cool if the player was granted a title like detective or investigator in addition to any other rewards.

Feedback is always appreciated! Let me know what you think!

That is a nice idea, but as Baldur said, the murder would become a orange player. I was all excited for the quest until I saw that Baldur had posted that. :(

Hey now!

I am a GM too!

Haha.

There was a discussion about a few ideas in the skype chat today which I will probably be implementing into a future quest.

I like my quests to have more to them rather than just battling, as some may have noticed with guardian of fire - where you have to travel 2 days, have harsh environments and so on and so forth.

I do really like the quest, but I am curious how you can take 2 days to travel anywhere in Aincrad, considering the largest floor is 10 kilometers (6.2 miles for us uncultured Americans) in diameter. I'm going to be hiking through the Andes and we go further than that  in a day :P

I actually think this is all a good Idea. I thought about making a big event and running it by you guys. Like how SAO had different things based on the Holidays why don't we have a month long event? I was thinking since this month is Saint Patrick's Day we can hold a riddle and luck Festival.

A GM can give 10 Riddles to whoever ask for this (has to make sure they cannot be answered by the computer online). The first 20 who answer can be placed into a pool. With that pool four numbers (like the clover) will be chosen at random to go on the mission. The quest must be 3 pages long with a boss fought at the end (for the ones who like to fight) named Demon Saint Patrick an evil leprechaun. The hero of the four who lands the finishing blow can get an Item called The Four Leaf Ribbon. A one time use Item that adds plus 5 damage to one attack ignoring mitigation defense. I know this may sound like an overpowered item but I thought to give something powerful to someone that would go through all that. I know I may be a noob and have no place saying this, but something has to be done to increase and keep the players up.

I actually think this is all a good Idea. I thought about making a big event and running it by you guys. Like how SAO had different things based on the Holidays why don't we have a month long event? I was thinking since this month is Saint Patrick's Day we can hold a riddle and luck Festival.

A GM can give 10 Riddles to whoever ask for this (has to make sure they cannot be answered by the computer online). The first 20 who answer can be placed into a pool. With that pool four numbers (like the clover) will be chosen at random to go on the mission. The quest must be 3 pages long with a boss fought at the end (for the ones who like to fight) named Demon Saint Patrick an evil leprechaun. The hero of the four who lands the finishing blow can get an Item called The Four Leaf Ribbon. A one time use Item that adds plus 5 damage to one attack ignoring mitigation defense. I know this may sound like an overpowered item but I thought to give something powerful to someone that would go through all that. I know I may be a noob and have no place saying this, but something has to be done to increase and keep the players up.

Shhhhhh. Leave my monthly event boss out of this... I mean... Mari think of something snappy to say!