Light and Heavy Armor (POLL)

Armor Classes  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like light and heavy armor?

• Light armor is created by tailors, heavy is created by blacksmiths
    • Light and heavy armor can be created by both tailors and blacksmiths

Hello players; Head GM Oske here.

It has come to the team's attention that many of you are unhappy with the new enhancement guide. Slight changes and the final update are coming soon, but before that, we'd like your input!

We are planning to have a difference between the two armor classes--light and heavy. Light will have evasion, while heavy will have damage mitigation. New enhancements will also be coming out. However, before we do so, we'd like to know what you want. Please vote on the poll, and if you so wish you may comment with your reasoning below. 

I finally like how we are finally trying to differentiate between the two types of armour. In the past, it was more or less the case, if a tailor or blacksmith was available between them. As much as I would like to separate both classes (heavy by armour and light by tailors), I do think that will create a massive problem when everyone re-evaluates their items (again!). As for the 3rd option, it really feels it goes against balancing the professions, as Blacksmiths could also make weapons, and both types of armour, while tailors can only make one - unless there is something to balance in the planning stages.

By the way, do you also plan on soft reset of the "light/heavy armour" skill, since this would disrupt the balance if players had all light armour with mitigation, and needed to change to heavy armour, since I do agree that both of them are "blurred" at the moment.

I think that this is a good idea, I for one, agree with the third one, because it doesn't make sense for a Tailor to make heavy style gear. They deal with Leather, and clothing armor, if anything, if they were to make heavy it would be heavy leather, like Padded leather or studded leather armor. Heavy deals with Heavy Plate Armor, like Full plate, and Splint plate armor. But also I should point out, that LIght armor isn't only just leather, there is something called Light metal armor, these are like comparing a buckler to a kite shield and tower shield. Bucklers are light metal and weight less. If they were to stick with Light Armor, such as they have been doing then specifiy that they can craft not only Leather armor but also Light metal armor, like a Chain Shirt. Or even a light plated leather battle coat.

I do agree that the armors are in need of differentation, but giving blacksmiths access to both types while granting tailors to a single type would really be tipping the already unbalanced scales in the favor of the former. Blacksmiths would then be able to make weapons, heavy armor, light armor and shields. This means they're responsible for creating every sort of weapon, both varieties of armor and likely the most popular choice for a third equippable item (with the alternative of charms going to Artisans).

Meanwhile, tailors would be able to create light armor alone. They'd be at a 4:1 disadvantage here.

And about light metal armor vs heavy metal armor (\m/), let it be said that flak jackets were created during the modern era and weight in at over twenty pounds. Now maybe that doesn't sound like much, but consider that SAO is based in medieval times, and this 20 pounds would likely be even heavier. Metal armor doesn't exactly feel like a thick coat, haha.

So that being said, I support option one, on the basis that even the heaviest of cloth armors will never approach the lightest of metal armors. It also gives tailors a niche that seems to be popular enough to sustain the profession.

Maybe the system could be made so that there could be a modified version of the 3rd option. For example, running around in metal armor (regardless of its status as heavy or light) isn't going to make you fast, I mean steel. iron, etc. are pretty heavy compared to just clothes. So, maybe we could have heavy and light armor doing +DM but -EVA from blacksmiths and small amounts (probably +1 at the max for each stat) of +DM without the -EVA penalty created by tailors.

So to put it simply:

Light/heavy = Blacksmiths = +DM & -EVA

Light = Tailor = +DM

I am so vehemently against blacksmiths making light armor, it's almost ridiculous.

There's no way to make 'light metal armor' unless you're doing chainmaille. It's freakin' metal. I'm glad we're getting some differentiation, otherwise, nobody would need/be a tailor. There was no distinct 'reasoning' to go with a particular trade due to the fact they can all make the same thing. Now, people will have to go to (    ) shop for Mitigation, and (    ) shop for their evasion. I don't think it makes any sense to add light to blacksmith. There's still no separation between them that way, and nothing changes except stifling the tailor trade. 

Hell, i'm one of the top blacksmiths in the trade and I don't want us to be able to make light armor, even though my shop wouldn't hurt at all from it. I've laughed my butt off about it since i've seen people doing it. I refuse, and will still refuse to make 'anything' light, as you can't just wear metal like you could anything else. Chainmaille is freaking heavy, trust me. 

I completely agree, Tyger. Basically, unless your character's armor is made out of recycled aluminum cans and about as thin, then your "light metal armor" will only be light compared to regular metal armor. This is roughly the same thing as trying to pass off your pet elephant as small because he was the runt of litter. Sure, maybe he's three standard deviations away from your average elephant in size, but he's still going to be the elephant in the room regardless.

Everyone in this thread against blacksmith's making light armor. Let me pose another question for thought, who is actually going to want to wear heavy armor for increased damage mit, instead of simply wearing light armor for increased evasion? Not many I'd wager.

Anyone who uses a shield, because you can't have Evasion and Block, they don't stack.

Anyone who uses a shield, because you can't have Evasion and Block, they don't stack.

Unless I'm just using a shield for the Damage Mit and not at all worried about using it with the block skill. Then I'm pretty set. Especially if I pack +3 damage mit with a shield, armor allowing evasion (light armor skill presumably allowing evasion), and a sword for damage. This is actually how my current build is planned to be, only with a charm instead of the armor for evasion, and the armor would be non-enchanted to just get the light armor skill damage mit.

Why is it there are people voting 3?, Blacksmith should not be able to make light armor, even if its a light metal its still heavy armor.

Chain shirt is basically a light armor but if you made Blacksmiths able to make light armors why would anyone be Tailors?. so stop this nonsense and let Blacksmith work with metal and tailors with leather and cloth.

Option 3 is grossly unfair; it puts the advantage into blacksmiths and I honestly feel it never should have been part of the poll in the first place;
luckily it seems a majority of the votes belong to alternative accounts; which will only count as one vote across the lot of them.

Unless I'm just using a shield for the Damage Mit and not at all worried about using it with the block skill. Then I'm pretty set. Especially if I pack +3 damage mit with a shield, armor allowing evasion (light armor skill presumably allowing evasion), and a sword for damage. This is actually how my current build is planned to be, only with a charm instead of the armor for evasion, and the armor would be non-enchanted to just get the light armor skill damage mit.

I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is. You have a limit number of enhancement options, but a potentially unlimited number of skill points. If you're using a shield but not the block skill and enchanting something with evasion, you're wasting your potential enhancement. At low level when SP are more scarce that's understandable, but after a few quests, it doesn't make sense.