[OP-F1] To fight, or not to fight? (COMPLETE)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lunged over to a toad and slashed it across the side, dealing a good third to it's health. Mono...Sam, was in a battle of his own, but I didn't worry for him. He wasn't the timid fighter from the town anymore. But there were so many monsters, and it was a cave with only so much light. And the possibility of death...

Just as I thought that, I felt the small tension in my chest, my only warning for...

Oh no...

I turned, hoping to escape, but the place was sealed off. No exits, no corners to hide. The stress of battle had become to much for me. My heart exploded with sharp, agonizing pain, and I fell to the ground, barely able to breath. I cried out as I lay on the cold rocky floor, seeing the shadow of a Nepent loom over me, ready to strike.

Daeron was fighting the monsters over on the side as he watched Sterling fall down. Damn, heart attack?! he knew he couldn't let him die. Daeron ran towards the monster ready to strike with two monsters behind him.

Odd - Hit the nepent away

Even - Take the hit for Sterling

Unable to keep up with the monsters, Daeron was struck by three monsters. He watched as his health drop, but refused to give in. He had to save Sterling or die trying.

Daeron 14/17

Sterling 11/11

Monochromatic 9/9

Nepent1 4/5

Nepent2 5/5

Scav. Toads 7/7

Scab. Toad2 4/5

Sam was focused on fighting the toad, when he heard a thud behind him. It was Sterling. He was on the floor and in an instant Daeron was by him, saving him. Then, it got ugly. Three monsters started wailing on Daeron, and he took a lot of hits. Sam had to do something. "I-I'll draw it's attention! Don't worry, I've got your back!" Sam drew and threw a shuriken at the second Nepent, hoping to get it to aggro on him, and then focused on defending from any oncoming attacks.

I need to get a grip!

The stress had triggered intense pain, but I had to push past it, or risk getting someone killed because of my fault.

Nobody would die because of me!

My mind in that instant, was clear. The stress of the situation around me vanished, for that no longer matter. Blind to the possibility of death, I searched my menu and equipped my last resort. The double hooked cutlass .

I had only one shot to even the odds, or the durability would be too low, and any more use would shatter the fragile blade. I lept forward, activating the charge move .

(1) Miss

(2-3) One creature goes down

(4-6) Two creatures go down

(7-9) Three creatures go down

(10) All creatures go down

Daeron was taking the beating of a lifetime. The three monsters fighting him had just gone down. He looked at Sterling who seemed to have a grin on his face. Quickly remembering, Daeron turned towards Sam who was still fighting the last monster. Daeron ran over to aid him, and cut the monster in half.

The room had turned back to its blue hue. Daeron went over to Sterling to see if he was okay. While all of this going on, in the background the door was opening back up to exit from a room. He thought Sterling wasn't going to make it. Had that happened, Daeron would have never forgiven himself. Are you alright? Both of you?

Sam took a few deep breaths, that was a pretty tough fight. Luckily, Sterling had pulled through in the end and saved everyone. Sam relaxed, the group no longer being in any immediate danger. To be honest, he was fairly sure they would pull through, but, he was still worried about Sterling. Daeron asked if he was alright, to which he responded, "Yeah, I'm alright. If anything we should be worrying about our savior over here." He motioned over to Sterling and chuckled to himself, smiling, he was just glad they had all pulled through.

There was no time to lose.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's only stress pain..."

I bolted to the chest, opened it, grabbed the golden scale from the menu, and turned to the two who had stood by me for the last couple of hours.

"Sorry guys, but this is where we part. Don't worry about me, you can have all the gold."

I brought out a teleport crystal and held it up, speaking the command words. But at the last second...

"Sorry we can't be friends yet, and watch out for..." I never got to finish. The blue light enveloped my vision, and I found myself back in the courtyard to the starting city.

"...the exit trap." I ended.

But why do you care? They proved they could survive without you.

I brought my coat collar up, and wandered into the crowds, disappearing through the many throngs of bustling people.

Daeron looked at the flash of blue and as Sterling just left them. Somehow Daeron should have known. He looked over at Sam with a confused face. "What just happened? Exit trap?" he wasn't sure what had just happened, but he watched as Sterling's health gauge disappeard from the party menu. It was now only two names. "Monochromatic" and "Daeron"

Sam's smile immediately dropped. "D-Did he really, just...?" His finger pointed at the spot where Sterling had just been. "Th-That little rat! How could he leave us now?!" Sam's face filled with rage. He'd only come for the loot! That scumbag! Angrily, Sam stomped over to the chest to see how much of the loot Sterling had took.

Daeron looked over at Sam who seemed to be rather ticked about this. "You can any of the loot he has left for "us" I can always go to one of the higher level floors for the Col" Daeron said as he was rather confused at the event that had just happened. He looked over at the exit to see what type of trap Sterling could have meant. Never had he known about exit traps... only anti-crystal chambers.

Sam took a few breaths and calmed himself. He would have time when they were out of there. Quickly he pulled out his teleport crystal. No dice. "We aren't getting out of this room using our crystals. Sterling must have triggered something when he opened the chest, but he got out before it was in effect." Sam glanced around the room, there didn't seem to be any immediate threat, so what could the real trap be? Sam took a moment to gather the items in the chest and put them into his inventory - he didn't have the time to look at them right now. As he turned back to his friend, a sudden rumbling noise erupted in the room. Following this, a few stones fell down from the ceiling, making a loud echoing sound as it hit the floor. Sam's eyes widened and he yelled to Bryan, "I-Is the place coming down around us?!"

Daeron should have suspected Sterling after all. He told them about the trap though, why would he warn them? There wasn't any time to think about that. Daeron quickly grabbed Sam and began running out of the cave, while dodging a falling projectile here and there. As Daeron was running he saw a large boulder begin falling down. Daeron then threw Sam past it and tried to make it in time to get past it himself.

[Odds] - Daeron manages to pass the rock without any scratches.

[Evens] - Daeron gets injured in the process of trying to get past the rock. -4 HP

Sam hastily clambered to his feet, Daeron appearing alongside him - he had moved pretty quick to get past that boulder, he had also got Sam past it first too. As the pair continued running back the way they came, the exit appeared in front of them. Unfortunately for them, a fairly large boulder was falling right in front of it. If it blocked the way out, the chances of escaping were extremely slim. Sam couldn't let that happen, while his "friend" Hunter may have abandoned him, Bryan still stayed true, and he wasn't willing to let him die. Picking up the speed, Sam headed straight for the exit, making it there before the boulder. Stopping, he braced himself for the impact of the boulder; they were getting out of there.

1-6: Sam stops the boulder and is able to hold it up, but cannot move it over. -5HP

7-10: Sam stops the boulder and manages to toss it to the side, opening the exit completely. -2HP

Daeron saw that Sam was holding the boulder where it was. Daeron saw him get hurt. He was lower leveled, he couldn't take many more hits. He remembered how he only had 9 HP at level 3. He saw the bar of his partner go down to approximately 4 HP left. Daeron ran in to help his partner.

"Get out of here! I'll be fine!" Daeron took over holding the boulder open.

The place was ready to fully crumble any second. They needed to get out now. There were particles falling around more and more.

Daeron quickly pushed Sam out and was struggling to get out himself.

[Odds] - Makes it out before any other particles can hit him or crush him.

[Evens] - Makes it out but the boulder closes in on him injuring him some more. - 10 HP

Sam laid down on the grass, gasping for air. The loud sounds of the rest of the cave crumbling could be heard, it was almost deafening and then after a moment, there was nothing. Silence. Sam climbed back onto his feet, still breathing deeply. "Bryan, Y-You're such...An idiot." He took a few more breaths, and then laughed. "But, th-thanks. A lot. Seriously, I owe you my life." He smiled at Bryan, somehow, they had managed to pull through, and had escaped the cave. He had never been more scared in his life, but at the same time, he was more happy than ever, too.

Daeron let out a laugh.

"I believe it was because of my idiot-like acts that we both came out of here alive. Am I right?"

He got back up dusting himself off and offered a hand to help Sam up. To think that they both had made it out a live as if nothing happened. No. Something did happen. Sterling backstabbed them. He will not forgive him ever again. In fact he will kill Sterling. For his act of treason and betrayal.

"Sterling.... I'm going to.... kill him." Daeron could barely get the words out of his mouth because they were so unusual.

He knew that Sterling was a low level, but such an act was only punishable by death. There will be a fight. He almost let them die. No. Sam die. He didn't care about himself, he cared about Sam. Had he died in there, it would have been Daeron's fault for failing to save him.

Sam glanced away for a moment, thinking to himself. Kill Sterling? He had betrayed them, but...It didn't seem right, but at the same time, what if he did it to others? "Bryan...I...Want to know why he did it. Sam scratched the back of his neck. "If he had a good reason, then, we can't just..." Sam glanced away, he knew that if he didn't have a good reason, he would have to die. But, all the same, he didn't want to have to kill anyone. The players were supposed to be in this together.