Fishing and Cooking(Poll)

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fishing be a profession or a skill?

2. 2. Should Cooking be a profession or a skill?

Fishing and Cooking were more of a subskill/subprofession. Asuna had the cooking skill but she didn't made dishes that gave buffs, at least none from what I read of anyway. And Kirito was fishing just to get ingredients or for sport, again no buffs. I think they should stay like they are. You should be able to fish in a gathering topic and only get mats that way, that is until we will get a permanent material list that can be used in each profession to craft, like specific mat names for each profession. 

So here's how it works in SAO according to cannon

Professions ARE skills. You have a limited number of skill slots, and and multiple slots would we be taken up by a profession to the detriment of your combat skills. For example being table to set up shop to trade people was a skill, being able to appraise an item was a skill. Being able to crafty heavy or light armor was a skill. Being able to refine raw minerals into an ingot was a skill. It was no different from straight sword/curved sword, battle healing, searching, hiding, etc... You started out with 2 skills for free (Straight Sword and Curved Sword), and 2 unassigned skill slots. You then got 1 new skill slot somewhere along the lines of one every 5-10 levels.

Here it has been determined that it's better to have a profession system, than force people to level up 2 characters so that we can have PC crafters.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that cooking should be kept a profession due to the fact that it can offer some very good buffs. However, I have not really seen any fisherman on here (except from maybe 1 or 2). Also, the fisherman seems to depend (on my opinion) onto the cooking profession due to this quote following almost any type of capture except a monster fish:

They are generally used in cooking for...

So in my sense, it would seem as if being a fisherman has absolutely no motive at all as it would take away your chance of getting a profession that has more use (currently).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Meokka

Be cool if rarer fish scales could be used in armor or bone for swords. In the game Dark Cloud on the ps2 if you catch one of the legendary fish when you open locked chests it'll tell you if it's trapped. Just a thought. Maybe there'll be some cool fishing quests or festivals to come for it. That'd be nice.

Be cool if rarer fish scales could be used in armor or bone for swords. In the game Dark Cloud on the ps2 if you catch one of the legendary fish when you open locked chests it'll tell you if it's trapped. Just a thought. Maybe there'll be some cool fishing quests or festivals to come for it. That'd be nice.

That would be pretty cool. Profession or skill, IDC either way. Meokka's idea for armor and swords would be pretty awesome to be put into practice and it would probably draw people like me (I.e. combat oriented mostly) towards fishing.
Guest Meokka

I wouldn't mind gathering skills to be honest. Such as....

Mining

Gardening/Herbology/gathering?

Fishing

Cooking

Skinning

relic hunter/archaeology (Cause Indiana Jones!)

Then professions

Smith - best to have mining?

Alchemist/Doctor - best to have relic hunter or gardening

Chef - Fishing or cooking depending gardening

Guard - you have to have certain stats for this in attack or defense and it'd give you an attack or def bounce maybe a bit of cole?

Bartender - cooking or herbology? (how is booz made again >> I feel stupid but it's almost 3am here so yeah derp)

Tailor - skinning or fishing

Artisan - mining (for jewels man!) relic hunter? or fishing (pearls?)

Gambler - required to have high evasion lots of cole

Singer/Entertainer: Gardening (Wood for instruments?) or relic hunter for inspiration for singing? no idea >> sorry.

Permits for the following

Houses

Shops - I never thought merchants would be a sub thing.

Then again in SAO it seemed you were allowed to have ALL professions. Yet it took A LOT OF TIME. Considering we have can only craft 2 times a day ect. People would have to be picky about what they craft. What happens once you max out a craft. I'll be honest I'd get bored and learn a new trade but I'm crazy when it comes to professions. Maybe what would be nice is once you've maxed out a profession you can get a permit to have another profession and keep learning new things but only after you have your max 9 skills. This would then put this into end game extra things to do, or for people who are really high in level right now. Give them a little something to do. Scatchy idea. Though I like my original idea still haha.

or maybe have a max of 3 of all of the above? Hm....