[PP-F2] ' Unconventional Methods

ID: 22014    LD: 19 + 2 =21 

Mari was not in her usual attire. She was wearing her 'latex swimsuit' that she had gotten from Lowenthal, and over that, she had the white Phoenix cape, draped over her shoulders. She didn't have her arms draped through the arms of the cloak. She simply had them hanging loosely at her side. It was a....unconventional look, to say the least. She wore her usual boots; Knee high black heels - and if one didn't know better they'd assume she had just stepped off of a raunchy flick.

She was walking on the outskirts of Urbus, how long had it been since she had trekked to this godforsaken floor? Still...Mari needed Materials. She knealt down, pulling out some roots from a white flower. She pocketed them in her inventory and continued on her way.

Materials: 1

Base Stat Totals for thread

â—Š Damage Total: 10 â—Š Evasion Total: 2 â—Š Damage Mitigation Total: 5 â—Š Accuracy Total: 3 â—Š Charge Total: 4â—Š Loot Die Total: + 2

It was the smaller towns on the fringes of the second floor, they said. Potion shops in the actual City of Urbus had the basic, exorbitantly priced healing salves that would probably keep him alive but burn holes through his pockets. Instead, he set out from the large, urban settlement and exited the safe zone against his better judgment. He still felt his level might be too low for some of the trials the second floor had to offer, but if he stayed the course, he might just get to where he needed to go safely.

"And without any potions," he added, his voice a bit irritated. The fact that no one was selling potions at an affordable price on the first floor seemed ridiculous. That, coupled with several requests from other aspiring players to bring back some migratory potions promised him a nice influx of coin. He might even have a future as a merchant. "This will definitely be fun," he groaned.

Once he exited Urbus, he started down the path and looked along the roadside to see what sort of enemies grazed in the fields nearby. "Bigger and meaner looking than boars, for sure," he muttered as the more exotic creatures seemed to pay him little mind. "I'll just try not to piss them off, I guess."

He directed his attention forward, toward a strangely clad woman leaning down to pluck a flower delicately from the ground. Her attire was... strange, to say the least, but she smacked of a definite familiarity even before Arc managed to see her face.

"Mari," he whispered softly, a thoughtful look on his face. "For a higher level character, she sure does frequent the lower floors," he observed.

He continued to walk as she rose from her gathering and returned his attention toward the path. She had no obligation to keep him alive, now, and he didn't know how little it might take to set her in a killing mood. Russian roulette was not at the top of his to do list for the day.

ID:22019 LD 19 + 2 =21

After pocketing the first root, she attempted to pull up a second. After being successful a second time, she smirked. "Good." She muttered. She really needed to stock up on materials to start her crafting again, she ordered a bunch from Calrex but had yet to hear anything back from him. It looks like Lowenthal's...suit....whilst...a little on the adventurous side of fashion - had its uses. The 20% increase in chance to gain loot was well worth the provocative wear. 

Her cursor would keep away any lecherous men and women. She glanced over as someone was walking the path; away from the town - it was a familiar face. Arc.

"What? No hello?" Mari chided, "Rude." She added with a wry grin. Clearly she was in higher spirits than their previous encounter.

Materials: 2

â—Š Damage Total: 10 â—Š Evasion Total: 2 â—Š Damage Mitigation Total: 5 â—Š Accuracy Total: 3 â—Š Charge Total: 4â—Š Loot Die Total: + 2

"Ah," he started when she appeared to see him, and went as far as to call him rude. "I doubted you'd be interested in pleasantries after our previous encounter. And... erm... you're hardly dressed appropriately for entertaining guests."

At least, he mused silently, not the sort of guests who came around in broad daylight.

The enigmatic woman seemed content to indulge her flower fetish as they spoke, and she had even managed to stop him in his tracks. Arc wrinkled his nose a bit as he realized that he got roped into conversation, and he sighed audibly.

"Look, I've got to follow a lead back to some potions," he told her, "the first floor has a severe lack of proper suppliers and I have a few folks waiting intently for me to come back with a decent stock."

ID: 22021 LD: 9+2 = 11 FAIL

Arc voiced that he didn't think Mari was one for small talk, and she replied with her usual brutal honesty. "I don't, but I can't pass up the chance to give someone sh*t." Her smile widened as Arc's eyes travelled down to the skin-tight latex she wore. Stating that she was not dressed appropriately for entertaining guests. "No - guess not. Maybe if it was just the one person?" She added with a smirk and a wink. Turning back and leaning down - on purposefully bending her back. Just for his comment.

Mari tried to pull out a root but to no avail. She sighed as she stood back up, dusting her hands. 

"Potions?" Mari scoffed. "The hell do you want those for? You do realize Crystals are far more effective. And wouldn't ya know - I make 'em." Mari said, before gesturing toward the dried flowers she was picking. "See that there? Alchemical ingredients. I'm outta materials. So am down on the lower floors to collect some. Mobs don't get in the way as often here."

Mari paused, musing to herself. "Aight. How about this - you help me collect materials - and I'll give you a few crystals; you can sell them at a higher profit- and I'll be able to craft at a quicker rate. Tis a win/win. No?" It was the second time a form of business transaction had been offered between the two.

"I suppose I don't mind helping," he said with his arms folded across his chest, raising his right hand and gesturing toward her emphatically. His gaze pointedly overlooked her provacative posturing, eyes now affixed on her facial features at all times. He was markedly well disciplined, it seemed. "But I'm not actually doing it for a huge profit margin. Admittedly, I can't work for free, that's true- but I'm trying to make healing items more accessible to weaker players, and potions seem to be the easiest commodity to acquire in bulk. That's why they asked for them instead of crystals." His answer was honest and to the point, but he then added, "I could certainly use the crystals as an incentive for those people to continue doing business with me, though. That might be a really good marketing strategy."

His budding work as a Mercenary in a world devoid of them seemed to overlap with Mercantilism in a way that was nothing short of profitable. Arc knew Mari didn't really care about what he was saying, because all the woman cared about was the proposition she had already laid out. "Sure," he started over, "I think we can help each other a bit."

He assumed she wanted him to simply help harvest materials, but he would hardly be as good at it as she was. "I don't have a profession," he told her, "I've never really had to collect materials before."

As he spoke, he glanced down at a strange blossom and tilted his head. He knelt down and reached for it, but it withered the instant he attempted to pluck it. "Damn," he cursed, "it's harder than it looks."

[iD: 22022, LD: 6/FAIL]

Arc's words said one thing, but his stance said another. His crossed arms over his chest and somewhat gruff demanor stated that he didn't really want anything to do with Mari. The woman couldn't blame him. He mentioned the potions again, and whilst he was talking Mari was absently scrolling through her HUD. Recalling that she had some left over from when she was a novice Alchemist. "mmmhmmm..." It almost seemed like she was paying him no mind. 

That was, until a trade window popped up. She was offering Arc 3 X Health Potion I  (Heal 5 HP takes 1 post to use) 

"They're useless to me." She said with a small wave, as though the gesture meant nothing to her. In reality, it sort of did. She didn't care about the potions, and would just has readily throw them on the ground then have them waste space.

Mari sighed. "Well yes but...hang on...Look here..." She, not really caring too much about personal space lightly grabbed his wrist, guiding him down toward another, very similar blossom. "You can't just pick things willy nilly. Each little thing has a certain way you have to handle it, some - like this wither blossoms , you need to handle carefully." She guided his hand around the base of the blossom and plucked it gently from the ground. It was a success. Mari let go of his hand and took a step back.

"See - ain't that hard. Like with your sword - you just have to find the right sort of momentum." 

LD: 18 + 2=20

Materials: 3

"Err, if you say so," he commented offhand as she let go of his hand. He pulled away more slowly than he would have liked, but offending Mari would not help him in the long run if he wanted to get her help with the healing items. She had traded him three potions quickly as if they were nothing, and he pocketed them swiftly. 5 HP restoration wasn't much on the upper floors, but on the first floor it could save a life.

When she moved away from him, Arc knelt down next to another flower and reached gently toward the bottom of the stem, like she had demonstrated moments before. "Trying this again," he muttered to himself.

As he pulled it free, the item gently split away from its roots and added itself to his inventory. "Looks like it really isn't all that difficult, when you do it right," he commented. Arc was not one for small talk, but since he was still learning aspects of the game, it helped to confirm his understanding of small things.

Of course, that didn't mean he liked the conversation. Sometimes people just couldn't get away with avoiding others.

[iD: 22161, LD: 16/Success]

Materials: 4

Mari sighed, feeling frustrated - and slightly jaded. She had attempted to be nice to him and he just outright shot her down. She  bit her tongue, choosing not to say any barbed words to him. Arguing with someone who said they'd help her gather materials wouldn't get her anywhere. The look on her face may have betrayed her - small eyebrows furrowed down, and full lips turned down into a pout. 

She watched as he mimicked her action, this time on his own. Muttering words to himself that were lost to Mari. He successfully harvested the material. Commenting virtually the same thing she had told him moments before. "mmhmmm..." Mari made a small sound of affirmation. "Tis clear you don't want to be here - if you're that off put by me go. I don't need to keep you from your duties." Mari stated. Once again coming off much more colder than intended.

"Really." Mari continued. "You don't look very....content with my company." She shrugged. "I don't blame ya. It's no skin of my nose." 

"I don't really feel much toward anyone," he told her, "it's not my business to like them, or judge them, or hate them. I didn't log into this game for that sort of thing. Originally, it was intended as an escape from the reality where I really didn't have any friends and nothing going for me."

He ignored her obvious attempt to be rid of him, as if she loathed herself so much she had to get rid of anyone who made her reflect on the fact. "People who can't get past their own weaknesses won't ever grow." He shrugged as he made a move for another flower. "For me, identifying the weakness and becoming aware of it changed the way I saw things. So it doesn't matter how uncomfortable I am with something-

"We had a deal."

He plucked the flower deftly and stood upright, holding it out to her. "Now, buck up and let's get back to work."

[iD: 22171, LD: 14/success]

Materials: 5

Arc said he didn't really feel anything for anyone. "Least we have that in common." She muttered. "So, out of one reality- and into another?" Mari mused. "If you wanted to escape from such isolation why thrust yourself into it here too?" Mari asked. bending down to pick up another blossom. She almost had enough. "3 more..." She muttered to herself. Then she would need to move onto the next area.

Arc made an offhanded comment about weakness, and how people can't grow. Mari scoffed, and flicked him on the back of the head. Muttering 'Jerk' under her breath. She turned her eyes down to the ground, her bare knees pressed into the unkind dirt. She didn't let that sort of thing bother her - she had been through worse - much worse.

Arc handed her the flower stem and she begrudgingly accepted it. "It's an odd sentiment to have." She mumbled quietly. Not looking up to face his stoic stare. 

ID:22173  LD: 16+ 2 = 18

Materials: 5

He felt the impact, but not the pain that should have come with it. When she called him a jerk, he could hardly disagree. Few people were so brutally honest as he had grown to be. "It's because in a world like this, where nothing is certain and everything fades, people don't feel a compelling need to stay true to who they are."

Arc deftly reached down and plucked another material as she took the first from him, and he clutched it in his free hand. A few more and they would be done, according to what she said. "Got another one," he mumbled.

"That's the problem, and I guess maybe I haven't seen as much as you, and I don't have the same experiences," Arc stood and glanced around for another material to harvest, "but if more people realized that the past can't change, we would have a lot more forward mentalities."

He stopped and glanced at her, with her eyes downcast. "That's why you're still alive, right? You have some kind of hidden hope that even if the past doesn't change, the future can?"

With a shrug, he deferred the need for response. He knew she would get defense about the question. "Nevermind," he said, "it's none of my business. Just something that I think about, sometimes. You said there's no reason to hope, but if you really believed that, you'd already be dead. That's what I think.

"I just want to be stronger, so I can fight."

[iD: 22185, LD: 14/Success]

Materials: 6

"I think you're wrong." Mari said, when he mentioned that people could not stay true to who they were. "I think it's not that - Human's are very adaptive creatures; but at the same time - we can struggle when times of great stress and difficulty are presented to us. People don't always have that choice - sometimes, who they are simply changes. Or they loose sight of themselves." Mari added, unusually complacent with their conversation.

Mari turned to the side of the path, carefully picking another wither flower. "I need one more of these before I have to -" She paused, throwing a worried glance toward the forest. She didn't want to go there; she hated it, she hated the 2nd floor, but some of the materials she needed - she could only find here. "go to the forest." Mari muttered with disdain.

"I don't know your past; nor do I know your strengths and weaknesses - but you can't expect people to accept the past with such finality. It's what shapes us, and our future - so its only natural people will reflect often on the past. I am alive because I am a stubborn b**ch who can't decide what she wants. Parts of me want to watch the world around me burn, other parts - want to get out of here so I can see if he really is gone, and if he is - to make sure his grandmother is ok." Mari said, not caring to elaborate on the matter.

"You're right, it isn't. I'm not one to throw myself off the edge of Aincrad. That's all." 

LD: 14 + 2 = 16  SUCCESS
Materials: 7

"Yeah," he spoke softly as she finished and collected another material skillfully, as if no stress in th world could deter her. "Well." Arc shifted uncomfortably at the probability that she meant someone who died in the game; it explained why she remained so distant from other players, at least. Part of him wanted to point out how selfish it was to hang on to feelings like that, but it seemed like something that would not help matters. "At least there's that. Can't do any good dead."

He plucked at another flower, but it dissolved instantly beneath the weight of his touch. "Bah," he muttered, "can't get 'em all, I guess."

It felt uncomfortable to further speak on matters that they disagreed upon. Mari probably already despised him, so he was disinclined to test her patience beyond a certain point. "Almost done," he stated.

Inwardly, he hoped this pit stop would ultimately pay off for the people who asked him to go up to the second floor. Mari seemed like the type would could go either way on her word, back and forth in her emotions and thoughts.

[iD: 22314, LD:3/Fail]

She twitched at his next sentence, a statement that said no one was useful dead. The stem of the Wither Flower broke in her hands. Mari was silent for a long time. Her blue eyes focused on the floor. Her face was expressionless, not giving Arc any hints as to what thoughts were drifting through her mind at that point. Even to Mari, they were nothing more than fleeting notions. Mari stood. Eyes still focused on the ground. "You're wrong." She said quietly. 

"No good being dead?" She shut her eyes, giving her head a small shake. "So wrong. That spits on the memory of those who have died. Someone may be dead, but their vision lives on, so does their dreams and sometimes even their ideals - it all lives on through the life they've lead. Sometimes, a death sparks a war- a revolution. One could die, and their donated organs could save countless lives. The dead are not with us, but it does not mean they don't do good."

Mari's words were oddly hopeful - despite her sullen and cold demeanour. 

"I need one more." She said, finally turning to look at him.

ID:22315  LD:3 + 2 = 5 FAIL

Materials: 7

"Maybe," Arc replied, "but I'm not going to do anyone any good dead." He wondered, they way she secluded herself, if there was anyone Mari would inspire in death. He knew the loss of his own life wouldn't spur emotion in many people. "That's all that really matters. I can do more with a sword in my hands."

He swiped a hand across toward the last of the materials Mari needed. With a quick and gratifying motion, he jerked the stem free from the dirt and extended his arm out toward her. "See? More efficient breathing."

He didn't wait for the trade to be accepted as he turned away from her and glanced toward the golden sun high above them on the second floor. "Anyway..."

He rolled his shoulders as he waited for Mari to tell him they were done.

[iD: 22379, LD: 19/Success]

Materials: 8

"That's what you think." Mari mused, "To assume you would be useless after death? No memories left behind? That's saddening, and kinda pathetic. Even by my standards."

She shrugged - "still if you feel you are more useful alive, then the answers simple. Don't die."

He spoke about the efficiency of battle again, it wasn't hard to deduce this guy was, in a matter of speaking - a complete loner. A do-gooder type to boot."mm?" Mari glanced down at his extended hand, grabbing the stem.

"S'pose you are." She gave him a small smirk as she started walking toward the forest, "Anyway- I need sap from a tree that only seems to grow in the forest here - I would really rather not go, but- if you want those crystals it's our next stop."

Materials: 8

Arc shrugged. "Whatever you think, Pink," he responded to her assertion that he was pitiful and saddening with anticipated apathy. "I'm not here to conform to your idea of what I should be. I'm just doing a job."

When she expressed her sentiment about not dying, however, Arc snorted at her nonchalance. He didn't bother to give her a look in response, or to even verbalize the humor he found in her words. Instead, he just nodded at her next words.

"Right. Sap." It made no sense to him, but then, he was no alchemist. He assumed that was her profession, anyway. The fact that she did not want to go made him wonder if he were strong enough for the area, but he knew didn't seem like it would get any more dangerous than it was already.

"Let's go," he uttered a reflection of her exuberance. "I need those crystals."

"Well, aren't you just a bubbling ball of joy?" Mari muttered under her breath. Pocketing the materials that they had collected. He didn't pay her words much heed, barely acknowledging them with a nod. Mari sighed, running her hand through her fringe. Why did she bother talking to him? He was worse than a wet blanket. Horrible at conversation, and he had a stick jammed so far up his a** that he was more like a puppet than a person.

When she expressed her sentiment about not dying, however, Arc snorted at her nonchalance. He didn't bother to give her a look in response, or to even verbalize the humor he found in her words. Instead, he just nodded at her next words. She made her way into the forest; with Arc in tow. It wasn't far from where they were, Floor 2 did not have many mobs either; it seemed that most had been farmed.  

"No mobs makes this easier.." Mari muttered. "In and out, quickly as possible. I don't really want to-" she paused, as they came into a clearing, "...great..." She muttered. Before them, lay what looked to be a large clearing, the tree opposite them had a deep gash in it - and below that were two sticks that were fashioned into a makeshift cross. The ground was littered with dried flowers - that crunched as Mari walked over them. It was clear that this, was a grave site - and to those who knew Mari, knew exactly who it belonged to.

"Let's just get this sap and go." Mari said, clearly agitated.

It did not take a lot to figure out what they had stumbled upon.

Arc stared down at the elaborate rendition of a roadside memorial. The makeshift grave rotted away like it would have in real life, save that it remained in place despite inclimate weather. Arc saw Mari visibly effected by her proximity to it, so he knew instantly that it was somehow linked to her.

Arc would have bothered to ask if he did not anticipate a blunt or stressed answer. "Lead the way," he told her as she indicated that she wanted to hurry and finish finding the sap. He stopped himself from making a witty remark about how there were literally trees everywhere.

He spared another glance at the grave marker and bowed his head slightly. It was humbling to think that he stood on ground tainted by the death of another player. He stood in a place where someone had died, yet he lived on. In that way, he was reminded of both his humanity and his plight. The words he said in silence were for no one but the deceased, a solemn sentiment for the forgotten.

Mari already left him in the dust when he glanced up, but Arc had little trouble catching up. The woman was not moving very quickly. Emotional turmoil visibly wracked her from the moment she got her bearings. "You gonna be ok to collect this sap?" he asked, the closest he'd ever come to true human compassion with her. "I can go ahead without you if you need a minute. You know," he quickly caught himself seeming thoughtful, "I don't need you slowing me down, I mean."

He said it in a softer voice than usual, and he looked away when he said it. The expression on his face gave away the fact that his heart was not in the words, if she even bothered to glance at him. "Whatever you want."