[PP-F1: Calrex] Thoughts of Family [Complete]

The safe zone; silver eyes strained out in the long distance of the grasslands where Lindow stood and watched the battles from the side lines. A hulking massive great sword on his back made of deep ebony sat unsheathed as he looked out, how did all these players just run out and fight without so much as a worry of dying? A big hand reached up as he scratched the peppered beard on his face. He forgot for a moment that his avatar was changed to match his real life image, a scruffy older gentleman with black and greying hair. Though he was close to middle age, it didn't mean his mind was getting any older. Still though...he looked out and envied what these people could do. He wore basic plain black clothing, all that was given in the game. He would have to hunt eventually and no one was going to hold his hand and just give stuff willy nilly. 

He shook his head, and placed his mighty hand on the hilt of his massive blade and unsheathed it. He took a step out of the safe zone and into the rolling green grass that made up the knoll. He looked for a secluded area to call his own, a spot that appealed to him was in light as he embarked in that direction. Toting his massive blade behind him, he walked briskly and waited for the mob to spawn. His eyes followed the direction of the rolling emerald grass, he would make his first strike count. 

A brown and dusty looking boar appeared as it spawned in his hunting area. The beady red eyes and dirty ivory tusks seemed to grow angry of his presence. Uplifting the massive blade with both hands over his head, he would destroy this creature with one blow, or be forever lost in the game. Soon the battle was to begin...

Edited by Lindow
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's certainly been a while since I came to the first floor. With Oikawa's strange disappearance there hasn't been as much reason for me to come down here other than the occasional gathering trip or visit to the Starlight Cafe."

Calrex gave a small sigh as he made his way through the streets of the Starting City. Due to his time within SAO, he had begun to navigate the various passages almost as if he knew the layout of the settlement like the back of his hand. This time he was clad in the Grand Dragoon armor, rather than his usual deep-sea blue full body armor, the Grand Chariot. In addition he bore the Amethyst Charm and Ocean's Defense accessories. However, he did not have any particular sword of pair of gauntlets equipped.

After arriving at the exit out into the fields he looked to see something he had not experienced in a while. It was a man, significantly older than he was, exiting out into the fields with a massive two-handed sword strapped to his back, "Geezes, I guess Ssendom isn't the only one that carries a two-handed sword now. However...he's only Level 1. There's no way that's a safe plan to go out into the fields alone. I'd best keep and eye and see if he needs any assistance."

It was not long before Calrex's suspicions were realized as one of the lower-level boars had spawned, focusing on the player as its target. Clenching his fist Calrex gave a calming breath before quickly devising his strategy. "Rushing in and striking the boar gives the chance that I might miss and it will still hit its target. The best option would be to have it focus on me."

Using his <<Sprint>> ability he quickly dashed forward, stopping a few paces in front of the older man before slamming his fists together, activating his <<Howl>> skill as the resonating slam of his fists echoed through the air, grabbing the boar's attention.

Looking over at the other player Calrex gave a nod, "Sorry for cutting in, but this battle seemed a bit too close for comfort. I'll draw it attention, so go ahead and focus on attacking."

HP List
(Hate: 3) Calrex: 93/93
(Hate: 0) Lindow: 5/5

Enemies:
Boar: 5/5

Edited by Calrex

Like the presence of the wind, there was a swiftness in the air. His hands clutched the might blade high above his head ready to crash down upon the boar, but alas he was jostled by the timely matter of warrior clad in hues of the sea. His old eyes watched as he set off some sort of ability to call forth the attention of the boar. "What was that? Who is this?" 

Little time for introductions, he allowed the veteran player the right to tactically plan the assault of the lower grunt. Someone of his stature seemed to know what he was doing, and Lindow taking the back seat of the coordinated attack. Flashing a nod, he gripped the beastly weapon over his head once more to charge his downstrike attack. His leather clothing, dark as it was, shifted with his weight and he would cut down. As he predicted, he would cut this boar down to size dealing the maximum output of his basic greatsword. 

==

ID: 27342 || BD: 7 

HP List
(Hate: 0) Lindow: 5/5

Enemies:
Boar: 3/5 [-2]

==

The boar was ripped asunder by the fierce contact of his lethal sword.The movement of his arms stopped when the blade dropped on the boar and the war cry escaped Lindow's lips. There was a grunt from the beast as it struggled to get up to its stubby little feet. There was no change in expression from the older player as his massive blade swung around and dropped to his front as he gripped it in both hands. Tightening the grip, he looked to the new player, "Lindow. Thanks for the help, Kid."  

ID: 27343
Battle Dice: 1 (Accuracy +3) = 4
Mob Dice: 4 (Evasion -2) = 2

"Lindow? Nice to meet you. I'm Calrex."

"Kid?...I think that's the first time anyone has ever called me that in this game. Heh, I guess that means I've finally met someone older than me by a decent amount."

Watching as his new teammate ripped a deep cut into the boar he gave a nod of approval as a small smirk came across his face for a second before he gave a quick calming exhale to focus. Since he was on the defensive he refrained from attacking as the boar began a mad charge as him, aiming to gore him with its tusks. However, as it got into striking range he quickly moved as he twisted his body to the side, sidestepping out of the way of the creature as it dashed past him, "Well that is certainly a familiar move. I certainly have not been able to do something so simple against the larger enemies of the higher floors."

"Alright go for it!"

"Going from the amount of damage he dealt on his previous strike if he managed to land a critical hit the blow should be enough to finish off this creature."

HP List
(Hate: 1) Lindow: 5/5

Enemies:
Boar: 3/5

Edited by Calrex

The weighty instrument of destruction was lifted up and placed on his shoulder with both hands while he bent his knees. The flaps of his black leather tunic shifted as he pressed into an attack stance. His long legs made stride for the boar as the newcomer who introduced himself as Calrex, still held the attention of the boar and dodged it easily with a quick thrust of his foot into the grass and to the side he came to a halt. Given the signal, Lindow charged from behind the enemy, his sword dragging behind him cutting up the grass as the blade was lifted upwards and swung around. Stopping abruptly in front of the boar, he used the momentum to turn slightly as his massive doom bringer looked to seek wrath down on the low level enemy. 

His sword was drawn over the boar, over shooting his target by a long shot. It was a critical miss and error in judgment on the Deputy Chief. The boar wasn't even phased by the crash of the wind from the blade as it swung back around. Lindow's expression was stoic, he quickly got into a defensive posture with his thick blade and took a deep breath in. 

"Is there a way to increase the accuracy of attacks for beginners? I think I hurt the grass more than I did the boar." He sought advice from the veteran player, there had to be some form of augmentation in the game for weapons. He could swing all day long and be as powerful as he wanted, but if he couldn't land his strike, what matter did it have?

===

ID: 27349 || BD: 1 

HP List
(Hate: 2) Lindow: 5/5

Enemies:

===

ID: 27371
Battle Dice: 1 (Accuracy +3) = 4
Mob Dice: 6 (Evasion +2) = 4

"Heh, that's not exactly uncommon at the lower levels. There are ways to increase your accuracy, both skill and item-wise. But let's save the technical talk for after this battle. It'll be easier to take in without Bacon over here focused on us."

Watching Lindow's attack miss reminded Calrex of his first battle ever in SAO. Back then he was fighting alongside Oikawa and Teayre, which was good, because he was unable to score a single hit on the boar they were fighting back then. As the creature rushed at him once again he quickly sidestepped once again, this time the creature's tusk coming slightly closer than last time. If he moved a little bit slower it was likely he might have taken a hit. "Guess that boost to evasion really does come in handy."

HP List

Enemies: 

Edited by Calrex

Lindow nodded, this was not the time to talk about it as Calrex had previously stated. The light crystalline eyes of his focused on the bigger picture here and it was to take out the Boar. His large hands gripped the blade hilt and spread his hands apart to get a better grip. He slid into stance, his feet breaking apart blades of grass as he sprung forward. He charged once more, the massive blade dragging once more cutting up the foliage of the ground as he targeted the boar, his stoic expression changed slightly into a half cross smirk and the bonecrushing anthem swung into the air over his head. His peppered black and white hair moved with the gust of wind he created as he slammed down on the boar directly into its ugly face. The boar met the massive blade head on as it whipped the creature around like a rag doll. The full momentum of the blade had crushed the Boar that it went skidding several feet away before blowing up into matter. 

==

ID: 27377 || BD: 9 [Critical Success]

HP List

Enemies: 
Boar: 0/5 [-3]

==

Erecting himself from his stance, he twirled the blade in his hand and sheathed it on his back and then dusted his hands clean of the battle. He turned to Calrex and nodded his head and gave...a thumbs up? Does anyone actually do that anymore? Thinking on it for a moment, his age was probably showing. He walked to his partner and stopped a foot away, "Seems like that was the last of that one. I can only imagine they get harder from here on. It could use some work..." he said lastly, holding the hilt of the blade behind him, referencing that it could be better, both his swordsmanship and the blade itself. 

There was silence for a moment, his eyes flickered in the sun, "You fight unarmed. Either that's really gutsy or you are a martial artist."

As Calrex had suspected a single critical strike from Lindow was more than enough to fell the boar as he lowered his arms and gave a small sigh of relief as the brief battle's end. He lowered his arms before placing them back into his pockets as he gave a nod and a friendly smile, taking note of the fellow player's thumbs up. It wasn't exactly something he had seen as prominent nowadays, but nonetheless he recognized the gesture and gave one of his own. 

"Yeah, these guys don't tend to spawn very often unless you actively go seeking them out, which is good, because I believe it is possible to have more than one come after you if they detect you within their AI's range. As for your weapon and swordplay, those will likely come with time. SAO seems to replicate a weapon's weight, but as you increase your weapon skill it reflects in your weapon's ability to do damage."

Upon hearing Lindow's comment on his unarmed combat abilities Calrex put a hand behind his head as he gave a small nod, "Well, I actually am able to fight both unarmed and with a sword. It's just that since I don't visit this floor as often anymore, it seemed like a good place to keep up my martial arts techniques. It's usually only on more serious fights that I opt to use my blade, at least so far."

"On this floor?" That's right, there was a hundred of them consisting of the world of Aincrad and there were bosses on each of these floors. Lindow was a bit skeptical of this guy, he was giving very little info on himself, but it was disrespectful to ask for the information. It was none of his business, he just needed to do his part in all of this. Giving a nod to the kid, he folded his arms and seemed to tower over him. In the game, he replicated his height to match his real world self, that was no longer necessary after looking into that Mirror when the GM appeared in the Starting City. It was just one thing or another, on the upside he was glad he was stuck in this game and not his daughter. He wasn't sure what would have happened if he found out she was stuck. His eyes turned away from Calrex, "The sooner this ends, the better. I need to get stronger faster." he placed his fists on his hips and leaned down lightly with a smirk, the stoic expression leaving.

"And you are going to help me, kid, er Calrex..." he then placed his hands together and bowed lower, "Please." It was a dire situation, perhaps he would show his soft side to this player and that could be shown as a weakness, but right now, he needed direction, tutelage, and knowledge. 

"I can't offer anything right now, but I will be able to pay you back sooner or later. I have a wife and daughter at home...Waiting for me to come back..." the wind blew across his face, his peppered hair swaying lightly in the breeze, "If there is anything you can help me with about how this game works. I would be greatly appreciated. I just need the direction," his usual deep tonal voice changed to a more softer sound. The old man pleading, just for a chance to see them again, "Do you have anyone waiting for you back home?"

Calrex felt a bead of sweat form on the side of his head for a second as the older and significantly taller man bow and ask for his help, "Geezes now I really am feeling short on the average height of guys in this game."

"Please there's no need for that at all. I understand that there pretty much everyone in this game has someone waiting for them on the other side. It's no trouble at all. I've lent a hand to other starting players in the past, so hopefully my explanations will prove helpful."

Giving a calming breath after his response Calrex assumed his usual calm persona as he affirmed his statement with a nod, "In any case once again it is a pleasure to meet you Lindow. Don't worry about paying me back or anything like that. The only thing I wish to see is that as many players survive this game as possible. I'll do my best to give you all of the information I have learned from this game so that you can make it to the end and see your family again. I've got others, both inside and outside of the game, that I would like to see again."

Taking a breath he continued, "In any case, it seems like you've already gotten acquainted to some level with the combat system. Normally I actually reserve that for last during my 'tutorials', but in this case it proves helpful, because most of everything else takes place within the safety of the city. I tend to avoid combat if possible, because actively seeking out also constantly keeps you at risk. So for now."

He directed them back towards the gates of the city as the two began to head back inside, "I understand you're trying to get stronger quickly, and technically speaking there are two ways to go about that. There is your level, and your skills. In terms of your level, that directly converts over into your total health, so of course the higher level you are the more hits you can take. However, if you wish to hit more often with more power, that relates over to skills. There are multiple skills available in this game, but only a few directly relate to your combat stats. Those are broken down into Damage, Accuracy, Evasion, and Mitigation. Damage, of course, is how much damage to deal on a successful hit. Accuracy, as you had inquired before, relates to how accurate your strikes area. Evasion increases your speed and agility, making it easier to avoid incoming enemy blows. Finally, Mitigation is how much damage you can absorb without taking a hit to your health."

The detail of his explanation was thorough to say in the least, rubbing the back of his head; Lindow nodded lightly, "So in other words, nothing like Pong?" Rhetorical question and once more he scratched his scruffy beard with his broad hands as he followed Calrex back to the city. There was certainly more to the game than he thought and it would take a lot of work. Right now he had the basics of the sword play down, his armor will get better with time as soon as he gets Col. As far as he gathered, it didn’t seem like weapons and armor scaled with weapons. So if he could get his hands on a few good pieces of equipment, he might be able to raid higher tier bosses at lower levels, dangerous to say in the least.

“I am familiar with the fundamentals of class roles, we did this sort of thing when I was a kid too, we played table top game called Dungeons and Dragons. Though this game is much more high stakes. I’m not too concerned with damage right now; I am more interested in actually hitting my target. So as you explained, I’ll need my Accuracy to go up. That’ll be my first task, then.”

Lindow nodded in approval to his own suggestion, anyone can do damage…but if you can’t back it up with hitting your opponent, then there is nothing to show but a fancy strike to the air. As he continued to walk into the city with his new found…Partner? Friend? What did those kids call them…”Sempai?” he noted to himself, but barely making the world audible. He highlighted the menu and selected the bottle of water from the menu, “Starter equipment; a basic weapon of your choice, some bread and some water, and some clothing, that’s all you need. A few potions would come in handy after starting this Death Game, don’t you think? Perhaps he has little mercy for the pawns he puts into play.” There was slight agitation in his voice, Lindow didn’t get mad, if ever, but to do this to people. It was sick.  

"Hm? I swore I thought I heard Lindow refer to me as senpai just now? That wouldn't make sense, heh, at least if we're going by age. He's certainly got seniority over me there."

Calrex gave a friendly smile as he nodded, "Please, Calrex, or even Cal is fine. A lot of people seem to refer to me by that name now. Heh, but you're right, SAO is nothing like Pong, but it does seem to share some similarities to Dungeons and Dragons, although slightly more simplified. As for combat stats, it is possible to gain enhancements to them through items and equipment as well. In fact, in relation to Mitigation, you're not able to have that naturally. It requires you to have at least some form of armor in order to make use of it. However, if you are focusing on Accuracy skills like Precision might be something of interest."

"Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say the designer of this game is 'merciful'. I've heard of quite a few players going out into the fields, much like you did just now, and ended up meeting their doom when their blows failed to connect with their target, while their enemy wailed on them until their health ran out. I'd like to avoid that happening on a consistent basis, but of course I'm only one person. I tend to treat adventuring in this game less of a multiplayer online game and closer to a survival themed type of environment. That way mentally I don't go putting myself out farther than I can handle. It seems to have kept me alive so far."

"Potions huh? Maybe I should keep with what I have done in the past and head towards the merchant district first."

"If you're looking for potions let's head for the merchant district first. That's an important place to know, because most of the shops in SAO have currently taken up residence there. Basically it's a one-stop shop for almost all of your equipment and adventuring needs. Over there I can also nab you a basic health potion from a merchant shop for usage later on.

The explanations continued and he understood a good deal of what was being said, perhaps venturing out into the wild was not the greatest of ideas. He could have lost his life there, but how did so many others go about it? Perhaps they partied up, that would be wise, and there was greater safety in numbers. He scratched his beard again side to side, a common trademark gesture when he was thinking.

“Thank you, Cal. I honestly would have been a deer in headlights for a while if you didn’t show up. Plus learning all this on my own would have taken a greater deal of time—“

He said the merchant district, he had been here only one other time and that was to window shop for a better weapon. The items looked great but way out of his price range perhaps that was what stemmed most of this up, the monster loot and the currency of this world. He sighed when he offered Lindow a basic potion, indeed, that would be more than generous he thought.

“You help a lot of people, don’t you Cal? You care a lot about them. I too wish to help as many people as I can while I am here, so I hope instead of just one…we are now two, helping the greater cause. But I can’t say I am a perfect man. Since I have been here, I have difficulty adjusting to my offline morality issue. Not that I don’t care about people, but…I don’t know. It sounds selfish, but I can’t die. I won’t die. And I won’t let people stand in my way of seeing my family again.” There was a solemn look in his eyes as he adverted away as they continued walking.

To break the tension, he gave a slight cough, “My daughter loved shopping…She wouldn’t be able to afford anything, but somehow she made out like a bandit. I’d give her money for school books; she comes back with a new blouse. Kids…” he silently laughed to himself, “Do you have any children, Cal?”  

"Heh, you're most welcome. I can't really say I've helped a lot of people, but since I just became strong enough to fight on the frontlines I hope that whatever progress I make there benefits everyone as a whole. That and helping to train those that are beginning to find their way in this game is about the most that I can do without stretching myself too thin. But as you said, I'm not perfect or some kind of saint. Should it come down to it I feel like I won't hesitate to cut down anything that tries to keep me from leaving here alive, or harming those I call friends and allies within this game. Normally I try to avoid making enemies to prevent that, but in the end that tends to be more on the other person's emotions and mindset than mine."

As Lindow began to speak about his daughter Calrex gave a friendly smile as he listened intently, "She certainly seems to have quite the wit about her, heh. As for me, well actually no. It's never really been something that's come to mind for me so far. Possibly in the future I might, but it's not really been something I have been preparing myself for."

"It certainly is different talking to Lindow compared to the others I've met in this game so far. Oikawa, Teayre, and all of the others I have met are young enough that I wouldn't expect them to have a family already started, plus most of them were not even in relationships before SAO. From what I remember Lindow is the first person I have met to have a family of his own on the other side. Hopefully his wife and daughter are doing alright."

After a few more steps Calrex looked ahead to see the familiar stacks of smoke rising from the blacksmith forges and other player and NPC-run shops, "Alright, looks like we're here. This area is full of various shops to suit your every need. If you're in need of weapons, shields, or heavy armor, blacksmith forges are one of the most prominent stores in SAO so far. As for various types of potions, both healing and status enhancing alike, alchemists would be the one to go for. There are actually a couple also on the tenth and fourth floors, but I wouldn't worry about that for now. If you prefer light armor or some form of knitted accessory, tailors would be the ones to go to. One of the current top tailors is actually on the fourth floor, but there's another on this floor that's working it's way up as well, although I think he's currently closed for restocking his inventory. Following that are the artisans, who specialize in various types of accessories specifically."

Taking a breath Calrex continued, "However, most of these require some form of payment that might currently be out of your budget, but very soon you should have enough to purchase higher rank weaponry and the like. Weapons and other equipment in the game can have various ranks, going up to Perfect, which can have three enhancements on it. Most people seem to focus on damage, so their weapons bear a +3 to their damage stat. However, if you're focusing on Accuracy that can go up to a +2 with items, with an additional coming from either the Precision skill or a familiar. As for right now you can actually gain an Uncommon rank piece of armor and weaponry from two different basic level quests. One is the Secret Medicine of the Forest, which gives you a +1 weapon, while the other is Worn Out Welcome, which depending on the type of armor you get grants a particular +1 enhancement."

Lindow shook his head, a slight smile on his face when the young man Cal had said he hasn’t prepared himself for it, “Well, I was certainly not prepared for it when the little one came into this world. It’s rewarding as a father. You see yourself in their eyes, and it’s something you helped make. And that creation then grows up and matures. Its precious, the time you spend with them.” He cleared his throat turning his head back looking away for a brief moment. They were coming upon the shop district it seemed.

The dark billows of clouds that manifested over chimneys, the highly detailed signs and window panes. Everything from armor to weaponry, to salves and tools were located here. There was another explanation coming from the veteran warrior as he told Lindow about the district and gave a few pieces of helpful information on where to find the choice selection, on top of that giving hints on some quests where he could score some decent gear. Lindow stood marveling at the top end pieces of gear at one shop, his eyes reflecting back from the blade, “I was never a big fantasy buff, but the NerveGear was actually for my daughter’s birthday. I tried it out just to see if it was safe, didn’t imagine this to happen…” Lindow continued to exam the different items in the window’s shops as they passed by. It seemed like every other shop was a blacksmith, alchemist or basic merchant with very little of the others in between. Perhaps he could find a niche in something else rather than to take business from these hard working laborers.

“Thank you for the low down on those game mechanics. By the way, do you own a shop?” 

"Yeah, I don't think anyone was expecting something this out of the ordinary for sure."

Calrex gave a small smile as he watched the older player begin to inspect each of the pieces of equipment they passed by, much like one would eye a particularly exquisite pearl or other piece of jewelry. It was certainly something Calrex had not seen very commonly done by other players, most likely because they were for the most part more concerned about the game attributes of the item over the appearance. However, there certainly was some importance to the look. He certainly wouldn't want to be swinging a simple stick, even if it had maximum enhancements on it. Course, there probably would be some entertainment to be had out of doing something as odd as that.

"Me? Well, actualy no. I decided to go a more unorthodox route. None of the shops appealed to me, so my profession, so to speak, is gathering materials for the shops almost like a volunteer act. I originally did so to keep shops in operation so they did not run out of materials for crafting, but it turns out that some of them have decided to find other ways to compensate for it. One of my good friend's decided to give me a huge discount on any pieces of equipment I commissioned from him, while another occasionally gives me a couple of potions for free."

He scratched the front of his nose as he continued speaking, "It just kind of turned out that way. I never intended to get anything out of it. As long as the shops can stay running, that meant items for the players, which increases their chance of surviving. Were you thinking about opening a shop?"

Lindow, the man who was learning to find his way, nodded to Calrex. Calrex seemed like a very decent individual, took good care of himself and was looking out for players who were just getting their feet. It took a real man to do what he has been doing for the people of this game, there was honesty and sincerity in every approach to a question and an answer, "That has to be a dangerous living, going out and hunting for materials. But I suppose if you can handle the task, better to do it yourself..." he trailed giving the statement some thought. 

"Just as you are helping them, they are helping you. It is a fair trade off if you ask me." the tan Swordsman scratched at his beard once more, and ran his fingers through his peppered hair, "I was thinking about taking up fishing. I don't see a lot of their shops in the area, and I could possibly help keep the restaurants and the like equally stocked. I always told myself, once I retire, I am going to be one of those lazy bastards that likes to fish all day. There is something appealing about it, the patience one gets for waiting for that special catch. Besides, my wife Crystal, she is pretty handy around the kitchen. Smoked Salmon, stuffed cabbage rolls, salad...I tell you..." he traveled off thinking about those home cooked meals he would not have for awhile.

"Once I get around to it, I am sure I will be able to get some nice big fish grilled up. Will need a chef for that, but I am sure they would oblige," The voice of the older male trailed off once more, "Oh nice. I can see myself swinging something like that around one day...HardEdge," he said pointing to an exotic looking two handed blade, the tip was sawed off and had a rectangular shape. 

"Heh, well, it's not exactly as dangerous as everyone thinks. It is true that you can gather material by hunting monsters, but actually you are also capable of collecting materials from the environment itself. For me it tends to take less time than fighting, and with my Search and Detect skill at Rank 2 I'm able to gather them at a decent speed. However, I'm sure that a person that can mow through monsters like nothing might be able to do it faster, as they always drop a material when they seem to be of an appropriate level in proportion to your own."

Calrex gave a small nod as Lindow spoke about his relationship to the shop owners before stating his possible future profession, "Fishing is definitely one of the least common jobs at the moment. From what I remember in the entirety of my time adventuring within SAO there has only been one fishing shop, but the owner is current MIA at the moment. Although it seems like your wife certainly was a wealth of knowledge in terms of cooking. I'm sure her dishes were delicious."

He listened intently before responding once again, "It's a fairly underrated profession, but definitely one that has a lot of potential uses. There are a handful of active cooks on the floors of Aincrad at the moment, so I'm sure that more than one would be happy to grill up some of your fish. In fact there's one particular spot that actualy specializes in grilled food and other things on the ninth floor, but I think he's currently busy gathering more materials at the moment."

After speaking he quickly observed the sword that Lindow had deemed HardEdge. It was certainly a unique sword, one more likely oriented towards games. It looked more like a slab of metal than a sword, as there was no point and seemed much like a metal paddle or oar. It was certainly hefty and large in size, suitable for a two-handed sword, and one he would likely not want to be clocked across the face with. If there was a knockaway ability in SAO, then that sword would definitely be worthy of it, "Definitely a threatening looking blade, even with the lack of a stabbing tip. I would not want to be on the receiving end of that sword, edge of flat side. Although if you were looking to get something like that soon there is the Blade of Dreams quest, where you can actually have your own custom sword made. It's a +1 weapon, just like the one from the Secret Medicine of the Forest, but in that case you get your own custom sword."

Folding his arms and looking at the weapons in the windows, Lindow nodded his head at Calrex once more, "A custom sword, huh? Sounds more than enticing. And something to call my very own," his voice trailed off. The pool of knowledge his friend had shared with him seemed to stay in the forefront of his mind. He made a mental note of the name of the quest and caught up to his friend with a short jog to catch up.

Arms swaying casually as he walked down the path, his eyes were looking over the structures of shops, each one articulate and inspiring. Perhaps one day he would own one as well, the thought made a smile creep onto his face as he rubbed his scruffy chin, "The shopping district seems very lively right now..." he said dodging a few players running by, "Everyone is so very excited, it seems. I suppose after awhile, you get used to living here. I have found that to be true with myself as well. It can be comfortable but there is always something that makes it even more uncomfortable; surviving, life, death. Not to mention the rumor of murderers." 

Lindow stopped walking, he stared straight ahead of himself looking through the crowds of all the people that seem to pass by him. His cloudy eyes focused on nothing in particular, he remembered it was his job to put that kind of scum in jail and there were worse kinds. The look on his face had become stoic once more, even when he was angry, there was always calmness and a solitude about him, "Hey Cal, I'm sorry to break the subject so quickly. But I understand there are teams of people who do things together. I don't recall what the in game name is, umm clans? Guilds! That's the one, guilds. Are you part of one? I was thinking it might be safer than playing this solo. I mean well, I don't know what I mean. My family is important, so me surviving is important as well. The are greater chances of surviving with numbers on your side, right?"

"Yeah, that is possible. We have been here for quite a significant amount of time. Everyone seems to have adapted fairly well to the situation, although I guess the length of time definitely was a strong contributing factor in that."

"Even Teayre, Lowenthal, and Kiru had their birthdays while within the game. I'm happy for them, but it also feels like a reminder of just how long we have been trapped here. If possible I'd like to celebrate their yearly progression outside of this game's borders, back in the real world. In any case that's someting for another time."

Listening he heard Lindow make a comment on the rumor of murderers. He gave a small calming exhale as he understood exactly what he was referring to. The group that had been under a lot of scrutiny ever since the beginning of SAO: Player-Killers. "Well, those rumors are actually confirmed. If you ever are out in the fields and see someone with an orange crystal above their head, that is the symbol that they had killed someone within the game. They're referred to as Player-Killer or PKers. However, there's still a lot of factors that go into that mark. Unfortunately some people I know have done so out of defense, and now it serves almost like a stigma. Just like in the real world, that kind of stuff if always going to be complicated. Fortunately enough, at least to my knowledge, there aren't any malicious ones active within the game."

Dropping the subject when Lindow redirected the conversation Calrex nodded to confirm his suspicions of the existence of guilds within the game, "Yeah, you're correct. There's actually a handful of guild that are active currently within Aincrad. I actually was a part of two in the past, one being the Azure Brigade, which was disbanded and recently reformed. The second is the new disbanded Absolute Pin, which was made up of a few stragglers from the Brigade, as well as a few people the heads of it decided were good candidates. Right now I've decided to remain as a solo player, but if you're looking for someplace with people of like mind or with similar goals, guilds are certainly a good fit."

"Yeah, I got out of guilds after some time because I was a part of both ends of it: a simple member and a member of a council. In the end I figured there was too much politics and jerking people around left and right to be of any personal benefit to me. Besides, I'd rather not have to rely on others if I can afford to. I don't want to put them at risk."

"In all honesty though, if you're just looking for some people to have your back that you can be certain will help you out if your life is on the line, it's not a true necessity to be a part of a guild. For me, just forging strong bonds and good relationships with other seems to have worked out so far."

Edited by Calrex