Paglikha's Journal

Username: Paglikha <<Damaged Soul>>
Height: 5’7”
Profession: N/A

About: History/personality
Kaluluwa stood at the gates of his high school waiting for one of his friends, looking towards the sakura tree that loomed above him while listening to the music he is listening to. One of the old ones, for sure, but one that gives him a change of scenery. All he sees is a vast grassland, one that he couldn’t see the end of, except it was different this time. Usually everything would be gone, everything should’ve been wiped out, but it wasn’t. The sakura tree stayed in his vision until he heard his friend call out to him, taking out his earbuds and then continuing walking side by side.

Kaluluwa wasn’t Japanese. In fact, he sometimes wasn'’t even considered Asian. He was usually considered as a Pacific Islander, a Filipino. He was considerably darker than most people that was at his high school, and even had a Filipino accent that would resurface on occasion. The reason why he was in Japan instead of his home country is a long story, one that he remembers very clearly and vividly. His memories either rushes to him at once, or is painstakingly long letting him process each thought. The memories always shifts about, some getting clearer while others got blurry but they always comes back without fail:

Kaluluwa was by no means a manly man or the perfect person. He knew there was no such thing early to begin with. His earliest memory was of his father drinking beer after a long day in the rice farms and his mother already sleeping. His stomach continued to hurt and he started to complain to his father, asking why they didn’t have food. The response echoed throughout the wooden shack, “I need to sell the rice that we grow to sustain myself so we can grow more rice.” Kaluluwa was too young to realize that this was just an excuse.

In reality however, his father used it to bet on rooster fights that he’d have on the rice farm and just to buy alcohol for Kaluluwa’s mother and himself. Whenever Kaluluwa had the time to, he’d ask his friends from school who were raised on some banana plantations to teach him how to climb a tree. The bananas he’d get from these trees eventually became one of the only foods he’d eat. In fact, after his parents had caught him with them, it became their food. Once every few months, he had to learn how to get a new food: pili nuts near the volcano they lived, the rice from the farm he had started to participate in, and the pompano and bangos he’d catch just so he could keep food to himself once in a while. It had become a routine for himself and eventually became second nature.

Sometime within his lifetime, however, his parents had gotten into an argument. The reason why was simple, Kaluluwa had the opportunity to go to Japan for education. The “special student that was elected.” He knew by that time his parents were abusive compared to others, but kept it to himself. The response that had become the status quo for “what do your parents do” or “can I come over to your house” was that his parents were sleeping. It was normal for them to be hungover. However, it didn’t appear to be that case for his mother this time. His mother seemed to be sober, or as sober as she’d ever be, and argued with his father that Kaluluwa could become better than the two of them, that he would have a better life. However, the only argument that could be given by his father was, “Then we’d have no more food and no more alcohol”, as if those two material objects were the most important things in the world.

The bell rung, waking himself up from his memories without letting him finish the scene where he’d end up running away from his parents while they were arguing about his fate. He knew he needed to slip away but he didn’t want to say “goodbye” as he was afraid they might make him stay. The Philippines was a place where the truth was valued being mostly Catholic, so all he needed to say was that his parents had agreed. He was then off to Japan the next day, at the age of 10, where everything was already prepared for him and where he’d spend the rest of his life if he chose so.

The rest of the day blurred by, his schoolwork and his homework were just things that kept him busy. And then there was the object that was sitting in the back of the room. Every month or so, he'd send part of his money that he'd receive from the exchange program to one of his friends in the Philippines to buy Kaluluwa's parents food. However, the other part he was able to spare was kept to buy himself something special. He looked to the object in the back of his room, the present from last year. A guitar that he'd been playing almost non-stop during his free time.

This year, it was going to be what his friends had all talked about. A "virtual reality" game called Sword Art Online. They said it was going to be released today and the leaked cost was confirmed just a few weeks ago with it being just within his range. He quickly sent off the money to his parents and sighed, wondering why he still supports them after what they had put him through.Just one of those things, I guess. They'd probably be starving without this. He put on a shirt and hurried up to the store to grab the game, SAO for short, and the NerveGear... Let's see if it's as awesome as people make it out to be...

Virtues:
Wise: Kaluluwa has spent many hours debating on why he was alive and why he continued to exist in this world. He spent time wondering why human nature was cruel, and why God, if there was even an entity that watched over him, let it happen without consequence. After many hours of meticulous thinking, he decided two things: pain is a way life prepares you for what is to come and that you cannot stop it from happening.

Compassionate: Along the way of his life, he has helped out others. After hearing the stories that they had to share, he was surprised that they had somewhat similar stories, although none had the same severity as his own. He realized that the world wasn’t just full of his problems, so he decided to help out as many others as he can.

Aesthete: Kaluluwa is always listening to music that speaks to him which was usually alternative rock because it spoke for him. Music has helped him get through his entire life and even bought a guitar a year before the "SAO incident" occurred. Music will probably be the one of the few centers of himself that he can find in SAO.

Flaws:
Finifugal: He believes that there shouldn’t be any reason for an ending. Whether it be a relationship with someone, a story, or a journey, he dislikes the ending (only if the experience was good). He will usually try to prolong the event, just so that he can savor the moment longer.

Damaged: Due to the terrible upbringings that he has had, Kaluluwa experienced things most people that he has met could never imagine happening to themselves. His parents' eyes showed absolutely no emotion towards anyone or anything, and, despite his best wishes, followed suit. Whenever he looks in the mirror, the only thing looking back at him are eyes full of solemnity and a husk of a being devoid of emotion. Despite his appearance, the only thing racing through his mind are emotions aplenty supplying the same question, "Why am I like this?"

Ghosts of his past: His past is hard for him to forget. It is no uncommon for him to have a dream about his past or have a quick flashback of multiple memories (sometimes in succession). He cannot stop this from happening because he does not knows why, how, or when they will happen. However, he prefers neither receiving the dream or the flashbacks for the dream is too long, as to let him remember it vividly, and the flashbacks let are to quick making him feel every emotion that he had in his memories come back at once.

Quirks:
Filipino Accent: Although not completely obvious, he has a sort of accent where some parts of the word is more emphasized than they are supposed to be. Also, he commonly mistakes the letters "f" with "p", "ih" with "ee", and "t" with "d" (in Roman letterings for clarity).

Skills (9/14 SP):
Non-combat:

»

Passive:
»

Combat:
»

Weapon skills:
» Novice Two-Handed Assault Spear (Rank 1 | 5 SP Invested)

Inventory:
Weapons/Tools:
> One-Handed Basic Dagger

Vanities:
> N/A

Misc:
> 20 Mats

Col: 1510

Edited by Paglikha
Changes

Roleplays/Story Thus Far:

Entry #0:
I just picked up the NerveGear and the game called SAO from the shop, I barely was able to get in place for it and it was packed. I'm sort of glad that a few people in front of me decided that the line wasn't worth it and left. I was on the verge of leaving myself until I was able to get inside and buy it. In my little abode, I'll set up the game and then calibrate the NerveGear like how they taught me, hopefully I'll be able to find some people to help me fieldtest my skills.

Entry #0.5 (( Starting City )):
I had looked at my phone one last time to see that I was not the only one to get the game out of my friends. My friend named Juhmer has also gotten the game and I didn't respond as I wanted to surprise him by finding him. However, my plan backfired because as soon as I entered, the cloaked man came out of nowhere and announced he was Kayaba. That everyone was trapped, that everyone would die in real life if they died in the game, and the only way they could get out was to defeat all of Aincrad. The mirror that soon appeared in my inventory let me look exactly like how I did in real life, and allowed me to find my friend Juhmer even easier. Sadly though, I was swept away with the panicking crowds only to catch a glimpse of him with his back to a pillar looking defeated. I hope I can see him.

Entry #1 (( [OP-F1] First Steps | COMPLETE )):
So, probably one of the first times I've ever interacted with players in SAO in a long time. Needless to say, it wasn't all that great. I've found out that gamers will be gamers and will always swarm a female, especially now that we're trapped here. I met a few people and learned a thing or two. I found out that no one has seen my friend, but I also found out that you can still attack people in safezones but cannot hurt them. There was a guild named the Crimson Blades and quite a few players that I cannot name of, but there was an interesting offer that the blacksmith, Mack, gave me.
<<+1 SP; +50 Col>>

Entry #2 (( [SP-F1] Fate of the Fallen | COMPLETE )):
My first time exiting Starting City had more downs than there was ups. First off, I was starting to appreciate Aincrad although it was a death game. I hope I did not develop slow-working Stockholm Syndrome. After that, I was getting fought with a boar until I made my way into the forest. In the forest, I had a battle with a wolf, but weakness overcame me. I saw a tree with a message carved into it. One I can never forget, one probably left by my friend. After finishing off the boar, I had a one-sided conversation with the tree (I must have looked really dumb) or more importantly Juhmer. I left the tree after leaving some offerings, but coming back to the safezone, I realized something. This is a new prison for me, but one I cannot escape.
<<+1 SP; +435 Col; +2 Mats>>

Entry #3 (( [PP-F1] Start of a Journey | COMPLETE )):
I wanted to kind of serve as a type of body guard for new players and a couple that seemed like they weren't viscous (especially with the way they spoke). Their names were Benoit and Saizou and were an interesting pair and I'll probably remember them by the fact that they called the boar "piggy" for most of the hunt. Even though they were nice people and that we had an easy hunt for boars, I couldn't bring myself to stay with them longer. The only things that I could think of was, what if they died, how would I know, and what would I end up doing. I had already lost one friend to the things of Aincrad. I was selfish for pulling myself away from them, but there is always the threat that one of us would end up dying anyways. I was more afraid to lose another friend than lose someone that I had just met.
<<+1 SP; +425 Col; +1 Mat>>

Entry #4 (( [OP-F3] Troubled Times | COMPLETE )):
I met a couple other players today on my first venture in Delilah Village of the third floor.

One of them was Macradon, a very strong person that is part of the front liners. My first one that I've met in person and an overall kind person. The second one is Itzal, a scout that is trying to catch up to people like Macradon's level (about halfway there I guess). Both of them feel somewhat devoted to helping lower leveled players as well. Then there is Mina and Rin. I don't know what's wrong with Mina, something happened and she scared Rin who was already somewhat troubled in the beginning. I tried to give them advice but before I knew it, Rin ran away and I chased after her but couldn't find her. Everyone dispersed as well after I tried to go back, where... Where did they go.

I... I don't know what to do. I didn't want to end like this. I don't know what to do. I don't know. I need to find them.
<<+2 SP; +200 Col>>

Entry #5 (( [SP-F1] Capturing Sounds of the Quiet <<Earning a Living>> | COMPLETE )):
I found an NPC offering a job as a performer as long as I completed a certain quest. It was largely uneventful with me just trying to find inspiration to create music in many places, and often times failing. However, during my time traveling, I attempted to make peace with what I have done and what I have not done. In the end, I'm still grieving over the loss of my friend, confirmed by my visitng of the Monument of Life, but I'm ready to move forward in his name. I showed emotion for the first times since my broken childhood. Now, I'm opening up my new shop named Tahimik and will create songs for other players to listen to and hear.

<<+2 SP; +400 Col; +17 Tier 1 Materials>>

Entry #6 (( [OP-F4] The Rising Dawn (Guild Recruitment) | COMPLETE )):
I decided to join a guild. I have a feeling my friend never joined one, he never did seem proactive or even active in the first place. I thought it would be a good place to start. I met a couple people, mainly a girl named Eatos and another girl named Saphira, the former of which was the co-leader of my guild, the New Guardians of the Dawn. Currently, I'm just a fledgling member, but I hope I can help out the others, both in the guild and outside of it.

<<+2 SP>>

• 4 weeks later...

Relationships:

<<Axios ((Juhmer))>> Believes to be a friend from the real world. Finding a tree with a message in the forest of the first floor, he decided to believe it was his friend Juhmer as he has never met someone more emotional than him.

Edited by Paglikha
Relationships edit