PPF10 "Starry Eyed Illusion"

The 10th floor was shrouded in darkness, few even now bothered to venture into it's depths - even now the floor remained mostly, uncharted. The new system update meant even fewer people held the Night Vision skill - and with Mari disappearing from the public eye, her shop was visited less and less, until - it was naught but an illuminated speck amongst the dark blanket that covered the floor.

Mari's tent was illuminated by the dull glow of fireflies dancing in jars hanging overhead, it's floor strewn with the usual large pillows and luxious rugs. The Alchemical table at the back had various different equipment set up along it, it looked as though it had been used repeatedly - but had not seen a thorough clean, and little care had been taken in her most recent crafts. 

Closer to the entrance, propped up against a locked cabinet filled with an array of powerful crystals - was Mari. She sat on the floor, legs and arms limp either side of her, and around her - empty vials. Her hair was dishevelled, and her eyes dark from night after night of nightmares, and little sleep, they were puffy and bloodshot, from tears that could no longer fall. 

Her brilliant blue eyes had faded, and were covered by a starry mist - as though there was a galaxy within them. Her eyes fluttered along the floor, as a small sigh escaped her lips. 

Ssendom found himself on the tenth floor as he was about to traverse through the depths of Tartarus once again, He had always noticed a small little tent as he exited the town of Yomi. Everytime he looked inside there was no one to be found, it became tradition up to this point to see who was the owner of the tent as his curiosity would get the better of him. A vast array of alchemical creations spread about the entirety of the tables and pillows that also littered the ground as well.

This time was far different than the multiple times he found himself here in Yomi, for the first time there was a person who sat inside the little shack and to his surprise it was actually quite the attractive woman to say in the least. Still clad in his Ebony Armor, Unique Shoulder Pads, Unique Hydra Skull and Unique curved Greatsword upon his back he motioned himself forward then stopped and swiftly took note that the woman was in quite the bad situation in a health standpoint.

He didn't question the laws of the game, he assumed that the woman was being consumed by disease or something of the sort. He stepped on empty vials shattering them under the weight of himself and his massive armor, swiftly maneuvering through the insignificant items that stood in his way until he reached the woman who seemed as if she weren't even of this world anymore.

The woman lifted her head, noting that someone had entered. She'd have to deal with people sooner or later, the figure aproached- crunching empty vials beneath his feet. Mari rose, not bothering to look. "Starry Eyed Illusion." Mari breathed, holding her hand up to read the label of her own creation. She twirled the galaxian filled vial delicately between her thumb and forefinger. "Whomever drinks this will find themselves staring at their hearts desire..."

She had been under the influence of it numerous times, most recently, all self inflicted - but the first time.... the first time...She had seen Alkor, his visage and voice super imposed on another, whom was all too willing to play the part - just to tear at Mari. Not that the woman could hold such actions against him. A part of her wanted that again, to see him. To see Alkor - but..potion after potion, empty vial after empty vial - it all seemed for naught. She pryed open the cork. It popped off and bounced uselessly onto the floor, Mari downed the entire contents and allowed the vial to drop to the carpeted ground with a soft 'thud' 

Finally she rose her eyes to meet those of Ssendom. She had met him a few times before, but the two never really held a conversation. 

Her issue wasn't exactly with the man himself, but what she saw.

It was difficult to describe in words, her eyes - hazy and awash with a twirling galaxy danced over Ssendom's form, from his Hydra mask, to his broad shoulders, then down his torso and up again. Every so often, images would blur and she'd see parts of Alkor - a glimmer of amber eyes, the quirk that his mouth held when he was amused. The way her former lover wore his hair. But such things were fleeting at best. Other images imposed themself over Ssendom. His stoic features bloodied, and his concerned eyes bulged and rolled into the back of his head. His armour ripped to shreds, as angry red lines appeared over his body. 

"Their hearts desire eh?" Mari muttered bitterly. She wasn't sure what she wanted anymore. She sighed, turning her back on Ssendom, stumbling back toward her low set table, carelessly pushing the tools to the side as she fell onto its hard surface. "Why do you have that." She asked, pointing toward the Hydra Skull mask. An item that Zelrius once held, her finger faltered - as once again images danced - switching between Alkor and an undead Ssendom. 

The woman seemed to be having hallucinations or something, as she was acting very strange. She read something outloud, it was the flavor text of the potion and it immediately dawned on Dom exactly what the potion was. A drug to take ones mind to another location, but it seemed to be doing the exact opposite. Instead of bringing the woman happiness, it was bringing her great agony. The Berserker couldn't figure out exactly what was torturing the woman's soul that she constantly saw, so he wouldn't pry as to avoid making the situation worse.

"I should prepare a Normalcy Steak that I keep on hand just in case, best keep paying attention to her actions for now.' He thought to himself as the woman finally came to her feet then met her eyes with his. All that resided within colors of her eyes were the same galaxian pattern that were in the filled bottle she drank. She dropped the potion then stumbled away from him, for the first time in it's entirety, Dom hadn't a single clue of what to do while in the presence of another person.

She finally addressed him, but it wasn't one of the twenty different things he had thought she might say or do. The first thing she said to him was a question regarding the black hydra skull that was adorned upon his head. He dropped his finger and set the parameters of his helm to invisible, revealing his ruby red eyes. He looked up at her who was on a table after shoving all the contents on it away after she had stumbled to it. He crossed his overly heavy armored arms, "It was given to me by that blonde haired boy, Zelrius." He responded.

After saying his name, he immediately remembered who it was he was actually talking to. "What happened to you Mari?" he asked. The two of them had only briefly seen each other a couple of times. He walked forward and slowly sat himself on the low set table that Mari was resting her body on. He wasn't usually one to pry for information, but since he was already in the situation he decided to ask away after originally thinking to keep from doing so. That and his curiosity was beginning to nag at him, someone whose strength was spoken of as if she were a living legend was distraught beyond anyone's possible belief.

Potion effects 8/10 posts remaining

The cursor above Ssendom was an angry colour, the mark of a PKer - but Mari wasn't sure if that was true, or if it was just the illusions that the potion allowed to dance in front of her eyes. Mari gave a heavy sigh, closing them and rubbing them. It wouldn't matter, the effects would still last, despite her attempts, for all she knew - he wasn't even standing here. He could just be another figment of her imagination. Still, for Ssendom of all people to be here, it didn't make sense. So, logically, he was indeed here. 

"I'm too old for this..." She muttered, opening her eyes again to catch a blur of ruby and amber eyes. Her eyes narrowed, as she attempted to focus on the man before her - fighting her own mind, which screamed at her, which screamed that Alkor was standing right there, in front of her. Mari fought with herself, and the potions effects, which seemed to tighten their hold around her conscious mind. Mari clenched her hands into tiny shaking fists. 

"Ah. I still haven't forgiven him for that." Mari muttered, leaning back to the point where she fell to rest on her back - "For stealing that final blow from under me against the Hydra, for taking it's head, an item I deserve Especially after Alk..." She paused, Alkor didn't die, he was right there wasn't he? Who was she talking to again? Mari sat up, warily eying the man in front of her - his image still shifting. "I was so close." Her words were deadpan, as she stared at a bloodied Ssendom. 

"Me? I got bored. I left." Was all she said. Turning her gaze up toward the fireflies buzzing around in the hanging jars. "What's the point of being around people? You're all as good as dead. Just look at you." 

(OOC: Normalcy Steak removes ALL RP effects. Up to you to eat it or destroy or whatnot.)

Ssendom carefully watched her actions, constantly taking note of body language and other hints of sorts. What he could somewhat garner from all her actions was that she was fighting against the potion she had consumed to stay in reality, but part of her wanted to be lost in the fantasy that the potion brought. He sighed, and dropped his finger opening his inventory. He selected his Normalcy steak, which caused it to appear on a plate right next to the Pinked Haired tortured woman, 'I don't know if she'll even eat it, I can't tell what she is seeing when she looks at it.' He thought to himself.

He heard her comment saying something regarding her age, "Well, if you're hungry. There is a steak that'll help you feel better." He mentioned motioning his hand right over it. He then watched as she showed clear reason she was completely fighting against the potion, her clenched hands and facial expressions made it clear as day. But he wasn't going to attempt to force feed someone who was literally going through a schizophrenic induced trip by the potion she had consumed.

She then started to open up a bit for some odd reason in regards to what he said about it being a gift. He looked at her completely with a turned head and listened to her intently. He wasn't too interested in what she was saying, but he decided to listen to her anyways since he had nothing truly better to do and he felt it wrong to leave someone who was having such an issue at the moment. But, the second she said especially with great emphasis which took his interest level from meaningless to the forefront of his mind. The reason and answer he was looking for as to why she would torment herself became clearer than a transparent window. She had lost someone close to her, and it had to have been someone who truly mattered to her since she already had a history of killing people.

She turned her gaze up to the fireflies which in turn caused him to do the same as he was interested in anything and everything she said or did at this point, "We're all as good as dead? I guess that tells me a bit of what you're seeing at the moment." He looked over at her again, "Who cares if we're all dead anyways? Why continue walking, talking, or doing anything when our bodies will inevitably fail us anyways." He laughed for a second, "The moment we're born, we're strapped with a timeline. We're walking doomed anyways, yet we're still here in this world Fighting monsters to hold back something that happens anyways." He turned his head back to the fireflies, "Because. It's to prove your stronger than anything life can throw at you."

"I'm not hungry." Mari said, shying away from the steak. Frankly, the smell made her feel nauseous. She hadn't really eaten that day, and hadn't planned to. A part of her knew he was simply trying to be nice, but she wasn't having any of it. She didn't trust it. She didn't trust that the steak was actually there, or that his words were even his own. Mari took a deep breath, closing her eyes. The shaking of her fists seemed to lessen. 

The two sat in silence for a few moments, and only the sounds of the fireflies above, hitting against the glass could be heard. There wasn't much to say. Mari wasn't sure what to say, her head felt increasingly heavy - before it began to lighten. Her body seemed to visibly relax as she began to feel the warmth of the potion run its course. Mari was no stranger to her own concoctions, and the sensations they would bring. How could she send her devious potions out to the world without ensuring they worked?

Then, he spoke. No longer did he hold his own voice, but the lulling presence of a long forgotten one. Alkor. "You spout the same nonsense you always do, Alkor." Mari mused with a heavy sigh. She opened her eyes to come face to face with him - his visage twisted and torn. His once brilliant amber eyes were a milky white, his skin the ashen colour of death. His clothes torn and burnt. It was as though, after his untimely death with the Hydra, he simply stood up and walked away. Mari knew this wasn't true - and that, this wasn't Alkor standing in front of her - however, she seemed to conveniently forget that Ssendom was the one standing before her - and that the man she was speaking to was more than just illusion and figments of a twisted imagination. 

"The only monsters I've seen lately are human beings. Twisted, decrepit creatures." Mari mused rather calmly. "I'm looking at you, Alkor. But you are dead. I watched you die, because Zelrius, because your team were too selfish to heal you. Instead, they all wanted that final blow - that rare item. Tch.." Mari glanced away, now tugging at a strand of pink hair. "I watched as another died, because her group, my group, did not listen - and did not heal her. Her health was too low, and my attempt alone was not enough. I watched, as with my own two hands - I killed my own daughter, then, a pleading child, and a confused - crying boy. We claim we are fighting for the good. To be free, but here, in this virtual prison - we are more free than we ever were before. Free to act on our own selfish desires, free to do such sordid acts with nary a repurcussion."

Mari stood, pressing the strand of hair behind her ear as she approached 'Alkor' galaxian eyes wandering over his burnt, torn and scarred facial features. She lifted a hand to tenderly trace his scars before allowing it to gently cup his cheek. "This potion, allows the one it intoxicates to see their hearts desire, I wanted to see you again. As you were- but here you stand before me, bloodied and beaten. I wonder what that says about my desires?"

The woman was becoming increasingly more delirious, and it was starting to enter the troublesome side of things. She wouldn't do an assortment of actions since she couldn't differentiate what was real, or what was fantasy. She was lost in a world that Dom couldn't begin to fathom at the current moment, he was unable to help her if she wouldn't eat the steak. He knew it would cure her of these effects, but just how much did she want to be out of this state of mind was the true question. Then it seemed as if she finally succumbed to the effects of the drug, as she let go her clenched fists.

"Alkor, I have never met anyone by the na-" He thought to himself, but immediately interrupted his own train of thought. He closed his eyes realizing just who this Alkor was, the person Mari lost that had placed her in such a traumatic state of mind. Unsure of if he were to play the part of the man known as Alkor, or if he should try to level with her and try to bring her back to reality. He stood up and walked a slight distance away from the woman to try and ponder in thought. He definitely couldn't leave the woman who was having a troubled time taking control of herself, he needed to think of what to do.

Ssendom didn't have the chance, or time to start thinking of what to do as the Pinked Hair Player Killer began to share information that she had probably kept secret for the year and some odd extra time they had been trapped in this death game. His eyes opened wide to learn about the woman's deep dark secret of the people she had murdered, everything was beginning to make sense now. The reason she was in such a state wasn't just in Alkor alone, but through all the acts she had done and dealt with. Ultimately, Alkor was just the final straw in a pile that had chunks taken out in quick succession.

His situation in dealing with her were becoming more and more of an issue as she approached him, or 'Alkor' as he was being referred to by her. She cupped his bare cheek, then thoroughly explained the effects of the potion. And she was right to question her own mind and what she wanted, she wanted to be with the fallen man though she couldn't see past his death. He could even begin to think of what she had possibly been looking at. He, as Alkor reached his hand up and grabbed hers, then he tried to play as Alkor for more information, "Explain to me what happened, it's all a bit hazy." He didn't attempt to change his voice as he expected the potion to do the work in that regard for him.

(may edit when i get on pc lter)

'Alkor' didn't answer her question, instead - he stepped away from her. His image distorted with each step, as though his being was phasing in and out of existence. Mari sighed, her hand still hanging in the air. A part of her knew this wasn't too real, that something was wrong - the effects of the Starry Eyed Illusion, they were't meant to be this...fragmented, this distorted. Maybe she was just too far gone, for even her own Alchemical creations to work. Mari clenched her fist, before slowly lowering it, watching 'Alkor' galaxian eyes focused on the mid of his back. 

Then, he turned - approached her and grabbed her tiny hand in his, fingers clasping around her cold fist. Her skin leeched at the warmth of his, but she did not feel it. He asked her to explain what happened. Mari's head drooped. How many times had she explained this? How many...? Didn't she just tell him what had happened? Was he playing her for a fool. This was pathetic. Not only for him, but for her - to play such a foolish dance with lucid dreams.

'tch'

She gritted her teeth together, yanking her hand away from his. This wasn't what she wanted. This wasn't what she desired. Why was that so hard to see until now? "You're dead." Her words were barely above a whisper, but spoken with such vitriol, the anger dripped from the words as Mari slowly rose her head to lock eyes with his. If anyone had any reason to be scared of Mari, the look in her eyes would be as good of a reason as any. Despite the dark lines that surrounded them, and the clouded galaxy that swirled within her irises one could not deny it. She was looking at 'Alkor' with a look of absolute animosity. She repeated the phrase, pratically spitting it at him, "You're Dead." With a violent shove - she pushed him to the ground - as he landed. It seemed that his image disappeared, and she was staring at nothing. She couldn't see Ssendom, nor Alkor, nor the bloodied remains of her past. She simply saw an absence of anything.

"So you were just an illusion." She muttered quietly, the anger she had felt bubbled up had already quickly began to dissipate - it was typical of Mari to have such mood swings. "ahahaha...." Mari gave a bitter laugh as she hugged herself. Now believing herself to be alone. "so that's my desire -nothing. Of course. That makes sense." Mari took a few deep breaths, attempting to calm her shivering form, repeating the words as though it was some sort of twisted mantra that bought her comfort.

"Nothing, nothing..... Nothing...." 

Mari fell silent after a few minutes, then - with a seemingly new found resolve. She began to silently clean the mess that had been left - picking up the crushed vials. Mari's chest felt heavy with this revelation, but it made sense. She did leave everyone after all, and only now was she beginning to make some sort of appearance again - she almost enjoyed how her name was merely a whisper among those that remembered her. That the other players, who were slowly climbing the ranks wouldn't have a clue who the pink haired girl was. 

Mari headed toward her table, disposing of the shards - they'd burst in an array of polygons soon enough, really clearing them was just busy work, she began musing to herself - believing to be over the effects of the potion. "I saw bloodied figures, then nothing - maybe Life was right." She muttered to herself as she collapsed into a particularly large cushion, staring at her hands as she slowly turned them over and over. "I've become so depraved, do I enjoy killing and just not realize it?" She asked herself...

That couldn't be the case...could it? Her face flashed with a look of concern, as she clenched then unclenched her hands. "No..." She whispered. "I just don't like people. That's it....right?"

Her mental stability was breaking more and more by the minute, it was almost astonishing to see. Someone so feared by the mass populace for her transgressions against players, and at the same time so admired by amongst all the same people for her strength she posses and what she had done amongst the frontliners. Practically soloing the Orochi since she did almost eighty percent of damage necessary to defeat the beast. But nothing made him realize exactly how down to her she had truly come, she was digging herself grave larger than she could personally handle. What was worse was she needed a hand to get out of her hole, but there was nothing Dom could do to reach her.

He slowly rose back to his feet after having been shoved down by the woman in a frail state of mind. It seemed like Mari lost sight of what was truly real, he looked at bottle she had dropped on the ground that had the contents of the galaxy she had consumed. He scratched the back of his head not knowing exactly how volatile the potion truly was. He didn't try to say anything, for the most part due to how little he thought it would matter. Dom wasn't even sure if the woman would be able to hear him anyways.

He sighed, it was hard to hold his tongue to a woman who was theoretically killing herself on the inside. It somewhat pulled at Dom's heartstrings since he knew what it was like to be alone for so long, though he somewhat knew what it was like losing someone whom one truly cared about. But unfortunately Mari would never feel the sweet reprieve of the thing you lost having been found again, regardless of how the end result came out between the two. Knowing Meokka was alive was all that mattered to the Berserker, "So is this what you're going to do to yourself then?" He asked after having caved in to his own curiosity.

(on phone short post: potion wearing off now)

The two had sat there, in silence for a long time - Mari - awash in her own concerns, pondering if she had become something she hated. Not once, did she ever kill for fun, yet the potion had given her an insight to her own 'hearts desire' and all that she saw was a wash of blood stained memories - followed by an unrelenting emptiness. She knew that this was a pathetic state to be in, but it didn't exactly matter - she was working on herself.

If someone had walked in on her...

And they had, what would they think?

Mari began to speak, feeling a little more clear headed - she couldn't see Ssendom, but the effects were wearing off - and she had a suspicion that he was still present. "It's not all bad." She muttered, shifting her weight so she was more comfortable, sinking deeper into the pillow. "It looks like I've lost myself to some maddening addiction -but really - It's all just..." She trailed off, trying to find the correct word, her head was cloudy so she wasn't able to find what she was looking for, instead she added - "Experimentation, I guess...? I make concoctions that push the limits of this game, at least I'd assume so - they give you the same effect as some illicit drugs in reality - I pawn them off to unsuspecting players without a second thought, nor care. They all have warning labels, they all are aware of the repurcussions. Still, I subject myself to some of them." 

Her head fell back as she tilted it toward the ceiling. This was the most she had spoken in a long time, "A morbid curisoity I guess? Maybe I am just bored with myself, or am trying to find out exactly who I am these days." She closed her eyes, and once again fell silent.

That is, until she heard Ssendom speak, asking if this is what she was doing to herself. With her eyes still closed she gave a small smirk. "Still here." She opened her eyes and lifted herself so she was facing him. "You didn't need to see that. You simply wandered in at a bad time. Call it soul searching, call it self-pitying, call it a depraved punishment." She muttered, "I really don't give a damn. I was just sorting through a few things. IF you think that's all I have been doing during my time away you're dumber than you look. Now..." 

Mari stood, albeit with a bit of effort - and dusted herself off. Her eyes no longer swirling with the effects of the galaxian liquid. She was still dealing with things, the uncertainty of her actions, of who she was becoming. her total lack of empathy for herself or others, it may at that point have shown on her face, Mari wasn't infalible, she couldn't hide everything she felt.

"Why did you come here?"

Ssendom laughed at the accusations the pink haired killer was making towards him, "Those are some high claims to make. Look, I don't know what exactly you went through, nor will I try and pick your brain to learn more about it. It is truly not my issue to deal with-" He continued as he grabbed the Hydra Skull and returned it into his inventory, he returned his gaze back onto Mari, "And no, that's not all I think you do. I don't exactly know what you truly do here in the world of Sword Art Online. Nor is it my place to ask what you do in Aincrad in general. You haven't been on the front lines since you killed the Orochi, and the true reason I came here is to wonder why you have ceased coming to the front lines. But I learned there is more to it than I originally had thought." He confessed.

He walked over to the Pink Haired woman, not exactly sure if she could still see him or not or how she would react to him getting closer to her, "Instead of pawning these off on those that are unsuspecting. How about you make me some of those Galaxian Potions you just consumed. Instead of the original purpose of why I came here, let's change the subject and not talk about it. Unless that is what you actually want." He chuckled as he towered over her in height, he wasn't doing so in an intimidating standpoint. Just close enough that he could possibly shake her hand and make a deal out of this.

He stood there staring wondering what he would experience if he actually took the potion that she had, the thought of if she would even make such a deal hadn't even crossed his mind. There were many things that ran through his head, many demons and skeletons he hadn't yet made an attempt to face. Even though he kept a straight face, with what she had just experienced he actually was somewhat afraid of what he would see and what would happen to him. But the thought of standing around and never getting closure in what it might be bothered him far more than what he might possibly witness, "What do you say?" He asked.

Mari didn't take too kindly to his laughter, or stating that she had some high claims of him. She was simply repeating what he had said earlier, did he already forget his own words? Mari was beginning to be less and less impressed with the other man's ashen company. He stated his true reason was to find out why she wasn't going to the front lines any more, but Mari wasn't going to give him any form of satisfactory answer. She stared back, lips pressed into a thin red line.

As Ssendom approached, asking about the potions, she simply pointed to the table behind him - where numerous bottles of it sat. "It's for sale right there. If you want to purchase them, bring them to me and I will tally up the price." She said in a deadpan tone, "Now get the f**k out of my personal space." She muttered, "Either go buy what you need or piss off, that's what I think."

• 1 month later...

Dom mulled over her words and and chuckled with a sense of carelessness, "Nah, I really don't feel like getting the f**k out of your personal space. I am more interested in these potions." He grabbed one of the potions and pulled it up to read what the capabilities to the potion are, "It is true, I have been interested in why you're not apart of the front lines. But to be frank, it truly doesn't matter whether or not you've been fighting in the front or not." He moved his eye to look at her directly, "But you don't need to mutter to me, you can hate me directly. I find life easier that way." He chuckled again, his lack of empathy and apathy toward the world around him and himself was obviously.

He was intentionally trying to irritating the woman known as the pink death, to be completely honest he hadn't the slightest bit of fear. He was a realist, and he knew she was one of the very few people who could actually manage to slay him where he stood. But he didn't care, he liked the idea of pushing the buttons of the woman who was trying to cause her own self pain. He wasn't going to try to change her, she was who she wanted to be, but what he could do is know more about the enigmatic woman. And one of the few ways to get someone to talk was to piss them right the f**k off.