[PP-F1] Worn Out Welcome (Hydra)

@Hydra

Ethereal would be making his way around the rabbit warren of streets that was Floor One. It had been so long since he'd been down here that everything seemed as overwhelming as it did when he first joined this death game. Admiring the artwork on the stores' signs as he passed by, the warrior's gaze lands upon a small but prominent blacksmiths right on the main street. He would literally laugh in shock, passers by looking at him like he was mad. Regaining control of himself, Eth wipes a tear from his eye. There is was - Griswold's Armorsmith - complete with the clusters of aspiring front liners gathered around it like ducks surrounding bread.

"I never thought I'd see this again.." the front-liner mutters as he stands before it in his top-end armor and takes a second. "Hey! You're from the Knights of Blood! And that cloak.. you're part of the Strike Force!" one excited kid would babble in front of him. The bearded man would ruffle the kid's hair with a kind smile and look over for anyone who seemed like they needed some help.

Edited by Ethereal

"Hey, Wait up!" Hydra came panting up behind Ethereal. "I wanted to apologize about before.. again, you know about the tree thing" Hydra said with a weary smile on his face. "Truth be told, im a little lost, I have been since I arrived here, and well I am now in short supply of bread and was wondering if you could teach me the basics of fighting so I can look after myself a little better". Hydra suddenly becoming aware of his surroundings notices the towns villagers glancing at the man he met early that day. He looks up into the deep azure sky and clenches his fist as though trying to grasp something, *dammit he thinks to himself, if only I didn't zone out so much in my first days here, then maybe I could of made something better of myself like this man here* 

He glances at the stranger, wondering if he will get a response, becoming slightly anxious with all the townsfolk surrounding him. 

Edited by Hydra

Ethereal chuckles as he notices the stranger dash over to him, instantly recognising him from the day before. As the apology came tumbling out, the bearded man would raise two hands and move them in a dismissive gesture. "Don't worry about it. I was as hopeless in my first few days trying to get out there." As the new arrival mentioned a lack of food, Eth raises an eyebrow, surprised. "Well, I've got to help you out now - I can't exactly let you starve now can I?"

With a friendly smile he tilts his head casually towards the Armorsmiths, hair swaying slightly to one side. "See that place over there? That's one of the best places to start out and earn some supplies. You actually get an Uncommon item made to order and some Col - that should get you sorted out." Tapping two of his gauntlet-covered fingers together on his right hand he adds after a couple of seconds; "Truth be told I feel like redoing this quest. Sorta for nostalgia's sake y'know?" With a deft swipe of the hand, Ethereal would open his menu and check the time, then nods. "Let's do it together - I'll make sure you learn the mechanics and all. Been a while since I mentored anyone."

Hydra was a little taken aback by the adventurers generosity. "Wow, are you sure that would be okay? I don't want to place a burden on you, after all it's my fault I've ended up in the current situation I'm in now." Hydra stretched his arm behind his back, and glanced towards the armoury the man pointed out, the armour was by no means breathtaking to Hydra but it looked like a warming establishment, Hydra looked back at the man. "In any case, I won't ignore your valuable advice, if you do decide you have the time though I will meet you here tommorow at noon, I have to get some preparations done". "Oh and one last thing before I go, what was your name again?" 

Edited by Hydra

The man would nod, "My name is Ethereal but people call me Eth or Ether." Checking his menu once more, he notes how he could probably use the time before the next noon to prepare for the upcoming boss battle. He'd need all the prep time he could get.. "Sure, midday tomorrow. Sounds good." Taking one last look at the store, the frontliner turns and begins making his way down the street, rubbing the back of his neck absentmindedly. Turning his head to the side, he asks over his shoulder, "Oh right, what's yours?"

Hydra, stood in the centre of the street, things had quieted down a little and people had continued to get along with their daily chores. A brief moment of silence hung in the air, Hydra zoned out shortly,  before calling back about 10 seconds after, "My name is Hydra, if that's a little too tedious to say then why not call me..." Hydra paused again "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..." for another 5 seconds Hydra seemed to go into a deep slumber standing in the bustling street. A confused villager watching him called out to Ethereal "Ahh, most people call him by the name daydreamer, or day for short. If you can't tell why then you must as be as stupid as he is slow." The villager roared chuckling to himself. Hydra suddenly sparked back to life "Alright! See you tomorrow then" Hydra began walking away from the town into the forest, forgetting completely about the whole naming conversation, but in anycase he was smiling as he left.

Edited by Hydra

Ethereal smiled to the villager, "I'll bear it in mind, thanks." He would wave back to Day as his feet echoed on the cobbled footpath, the sun set silhouetting him as he went.

A day passes, Eth groans as he wakes up on Floor 8, getting out of his bed inside the store and plodding downstairs. Brewing what was the SAO equivalent of coffee on a bunsen burner and scratching his beard, the man gets ready and makes his way to the center of town. Stepping into the portal with a grunt, the swordsman is surrounded by dancing light and after a moment is on Floor 1. Looking around for the street they were at yesterday, he wanders for a couple of hours, waving to people who he recognised until midday came. Tossing a coin in the air, he would be leaning against a red brick wall nearby the Armorsmith sighing as he awaited the arrival of the Daydreamer.

Hydra paced down the street to where he met Ethereal yesterday. Slightly panicked, the spear man had spent half the day dozing at what he called the shimmering lake. The only reason he didn't run was because he didn't like averting the locals attention onto him. "Nearly there.." he mumbled to himself with half a breath. As he turned round the corner he spotted Ethereal. *Thank goodness*, A wave of relief passed as he approached his acquaintance who stood outside the armor smiths. "Sorry, I could make up loads of excuses but for the sake of what you have done for me, I shall be honest with you", There was a brief pause as Hydra decided his wording.. "I guess I got so nervous about this quest, that I thought a short break with nature would help calm me down, in the short of it, it turned into a longer break than expected." (Hydra bows to show his apology). 

Edited by Hydra

Ethereal laughs a little, shaking his head, "No worries, you don't need to bow. Not like I've got anything else to do this time of day. Shall we get going on this quest then?" The swordsman takes a few steps to the noticeboard outside the Armorsmiths, pressing a few times he would open up the quest menu. It would read "DO YOU WISH TO ACCEPT THE QUEST: "WORN OUT WELCOME?"" to which the bearded man presses the blue "O" that denoted accept in this death game. A moment after he flicks up the party interface and shoots an invite to the Daydreamer. "Let's get this show on the road then - we've wasted enough time."

Hydra wasn't sure if it was fear or excitement that surged through his body as the message appeared but he had gone too far to turn back now. A light smile spread across his face, "Aye, lets", he lifted his finger and tapped the invite "O". A few seconds passed and the spear man then looked at Eth, "I am very grateful for what you have done. If I ever get the chance to repay your deed know that I am willing to assists you in any way I can." He gripped the shaft of his spear tightly, and lifted it up at Ethereal, the sun reflected of the silver metal tip, making it glare brightly, "When this is over I'd like to buy you a drink, I owe you at least that." He said as his smile grew friendlier, "Now let's be on our way."

Edited by Hydra

Eth grinned back at the wannabe warrior, waving a hand dismissively - "Jeez, you're making me out to be a Saint. I appreciate the willingness to help me out if I need it but we need to get you to survive this first battle." The swordsman regards the shining blade, it was almost the direct opposite to his own; his weapon was dark and made of bone where this one seemed to radiate almost like it had been blessed by some god. Nodding once, he equips and draws his huge greatsword, the matt-black jagged blade absorbing the sins rays as it rasped from its sheath. "Let's go." He speaks simply, leading them to the edge of town where a blackened patch of field could be seen.

Hydra remained silent and focused as they walked, the field opened up ahead. The spear man had not been to this area before, quite frankly he was glad. The field seemed withered and lacking in beauty, it was the complete opposite to the lake he had uncovered in his early days of SAO. It seemed to match well with Eth, there was something dark about him, a blood lust that most people would fail to see. *no* he thought to himself, Hydra shook his head *Now is not the time to be doubting other's*.. The silence hung for a moment, "So what kind of creatures will we find here?" The spear man looked at Eth, who was walking a few paces in front.

Edited by Hydra

Ethereal glances over his shoulder at the new player, humming to himself as they went. "Probably a few boars or the usual, but there should be an event mob called "Dark Elf" that ya need to kill for this quest." He went back to humming a tune that sounds very different than the usual Japanese songs, feet crunching a little on the slightly muddy hill as they reached its peak. Surveying the land with one hand sheltering his eyes the swordman points with the other to a black figure a few hundred meters away. "That's what you need to defeat - good luck. I'll be right beside you to back you up if you need it." The pair then begin their descent towards the enemy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hydra was ready, he didn't want to seem weak to Eth so he dived into battle, spinning his spear around in his left hand as he sized the enemy up, waiting for the best opportunity to strike. The Dark Elf lunged for Hydra and at no better time, the sun caught his trinket making it shine and glaring the opponent, not only did he miss his attack but provided a great opportunity for Hydra. He lifted up his spear in two quick successions <<Snake Bite>> aiming at the Dark Elf's chest. The spear pierced his body twice, doing enough to wound the elf badly.

ID# 51635 results: DMG = [1+1+1(2x1)] = [6 damage]

Battle: 9 (crit)

MOB: 6 (-3) = 3 (fail)

Dark Elf 6/12 HP | 0 MIT | 9 DMG

Hydra 20/20 HP | 0 MIT | 3 EVA | 3/5 Energy | 2 DMG

Edited by Hydra

Ethereal makes his way up to the closest mound of earth nearby the combat area, stepping onto the small raised position he surveys the duel taking place before him. Hydra had managed to take the enemy down to almost half health in one attack. Not bad for a newbie. Not bad at all. Taking his greatsword from its position on his back, Eth twirls it as if it was nothing heavier than a stick, whistling as the serrated metal windmilled. If Hydra didn't land his next attack and managed to get cut up the Blade was poised to charge in. For now, the Daydreamer seemed to be doing a good enough job.

Hydra noticed Eth had decided to sit and watch, he felt inspired by this. Withdrawing his spear, he didn't give the Dark Elf the chance to retreat. He stuck his spear through the neck of the mob this time and ripped it upward with all his strength. The spearman gasped for breath as he fell to the floor, looking up the hill he smiled with a bit of strain going down his neck. The sound of the health bar reaching 0 behind him was music to his ears, the Dark Elf shattered and Hydra had won. He lifted up his spear in victory and pointed it towards the sky. 

ID# 51636 results: DMG = [1+1+1(2x1)] = [6 damage] - Sword Art Used <<Snake Bite>>

Battle: 9 (crit)

Loot: 9+2 = 11

MOB: 3 - 3 = (fail)

Dark Elf 0/12 HP | 0 MIT | 9 DMG

Hydra 20/20 HP | 0 MIT | 3 EVA | 2/5 Energy | 2 DMG

Edited by Hydra

Applause could be heard from Eth's position, greatsword now buried slightly by the tip in the ground. The Knight was fairly impressed at how efficiently the Daydreamer had dispatched what was actually a fairly challenging foe - it didn't even have the time to land a hit. He trudged over the loose dirt to Hydra and slapped him on the back enthusiastically with a "Well done lad! Good job!" Little did he realise that there was enough force behind his blow to possibly damage the young man. Spending as much time as he did on the frontlines had made him a little sloppy when it came to containing power.

ID# 51825 results:

Battle: 2 (+3 = 5)

Luckily enough, despite all this that pat would probably be received as gentle and friendly. "Whatcha say we go get a drink? I know a good bar..?"

Edited by Ethereal

Hydra flew face down into the dirt as Ethereal smacked him. "Ow..." The spearman sat up and rubbed his head but was still smiling. "Alright a drink sounds good, let's head back into town. In the meantime I can decide on heavy or light armour". It wasn't exactly a hard choice for the player, he was rather small and favored mobility and evasion more than taking hits like a brick a wall. The player stood up, "Okay let's head to the armory first then I'll get you that drink I promised". The two returned to the town, leaving the fields behind them.

Edited by Hydra

"Alright let's head for the forge". Eth examined his fellow friend trying to help him decide what the better armor would be to pick. "I think going for the lighter armor would be best, you are rather small and I can't seem to running around with hundreds of pounds of steel on your back". There was a brief pause as the pair walked. Ethereal waited for a response of his comrade who seemed deep in thought. 

Hydra accepted Eth's advice, he had already made his mind up. Walking into the shop Hydra bowed to the NPC behind the counter and handed over proof that the dark elf had been slain. "I'd like to request the leather armor please. With a preference of damage mitigation over thorns". After several minutes of hearing sounds in the back of the shop, the seller emerged and handed him his new armour. Despire it being classed as light it was still rather heavy, the design he liked though. It was a deep blue and grey colour, with a hood protruding from the back. The player quickly slipped on the leather coat and walked back out onto the dusty streets of the town of beginnings. "Hey Eth how do I look?" He said smiling.

+ 1 Leather coat , with 1 slot in mitigation.