[PP-NK-F1] What's a King to a God? (Endilix)

Though it had been some time since The Faint had taken residence in his tavern of choice, the place had remained unchanged. Dust still blanketed the tables and the drinks were still overpriced for their quality; however, he didn't come to this tavern to indulge in a lavish setting but rather he searched for a comfortable setting to put his mind at ease.

Sodden wood marked the frequent placing of his glass as he brought the cup of sweet muddy liquid to his lips and indulged. Thoughts dashed through his head as his gaze seemingly pierced the un-moving wall of drinks located behind the counter before him. That said, one topic occupied seemingly more cars than the rest of his train of musings and its one he didn't wish to divulge into. Yet as usual, thinking on it was inevitable. 

Where do I stand in this world now? Me, a man of few titles yet known for far more than he wished to admit. Where do I stand in a realm where my peers can just as easily become my enemies? Where do I stand in realm where I am that peer that became an enemy and threat to his friends? Where do I stand and am I worthy of standing there?

Soft rattling sounded as the cup returned to the pool of condensation it had conjured from before.

Empty? Hmph..

"Waiter, another please."

A knight's duty is never done. Not truly, Endilix thought as he walked back into the town of beginnings. He watched as a couple of children, the young ones trapped in a world that even adults found horrifying, scurried off. And yet, despite it all, they still smiled. Endilix had spent the day letting the little ones stab at some boars, leveling them up so that they could take on this world with less fear. It was the least Endilix could do in times like these, times where even the most trusted of veterans turned on those who were supposed to be saving children like them.

As these thoughts passed him, Endilix's body slowed, and his armor felt heavy. The day had been long, and teaching children how to survive in a world where a simple boar meant the end of their life was far more taxing than generally anticipated. In a flash, Endilix switched his armor and shield out for a simple tunic and pants, and suddenly he felt free. The breeze blew through his clothes, carrying with it the exhaustion he had felt. A spring found his step, and Endilix made his way to a tavern for a drink or two.

It was a pleasant atmosphere, one full of life and energy, guilds toasting, people comparing skills, armor, and weapons, and even just people relaxing after a hard day of living in a world nobody expected to be forced to live in. The corners of Endilix's mouth turned upward, as he found his way to one of the few lonely patrons in the room and eased his way onto the stool next to him. Endilix slapped his hand on the bar, "Bartender! A good strong drink for me, and..." Endilix's eyes caught that the man next to him was running on empty, "one for my partner here as well. He looks like he's had a rough day."

Endilix flashed his token smile at the blonde man searching for answers at the bottom of his glass, "The name is Endilix, a pleasure to meet you."

A brow raised as a man positioned himself right next Oikawa. The complacent look of un-interest remained fixated upon his features, despite the generosity the crimson haired lad attempted to display. Refilled, his glass was once again whisked away as he his gaze drifted to the man in question.

"Endilix, your hospitality is appreciated. Oikawa is my name and the pleasure is my own."

Setting the glass back down, he gave a slight turn to Endilix. His lips fixed to bother the lad with a question but making no effort to make it audible to the young man. Typically players of his caliber and crystal color were avoided, yet, the fellow beside him ignored these factors. Surely even in his most casual of clothing, the aura he emitted surely resonated with the him that he was a force far beyond his capabilities. Puzzling, maybe I'm not nearly as intimidating as I thought. Perhaps, I'm considered little more than just another player with an orange crystal in his eyes. Curiosity beckoned to him, he wanted to know why the man even bothered. What reason did he have to be so kind and generous to a fellow who was branded a murderer?

"Do you know who I am? Even if so, why the generous offer of drinks?" His intentions weren't to be ungrateful, but things like this tend to bother him. How some could be so nice tot hose who have done so much wrong. He wondered why someone would even bother with a person like himself.

Endilix thanked the bartender and transferred the sufficient Col amount to the man for his service, before taking a good swig with a satisfying, "AH!" as he placed the cup down on the counter, half empty in an instant. However, it was quickly forgotten as the crimson haired man searched his newfound companion, emerald eyes looking into those on the other end of the space between them. Endilix had hardly paid much attention, as was commonplace for the man, to his status, and only just now recognized the orange crystal floating above the man's head. The smile flickered, albeit momentarily, as Endilix remembered the words of his old companion, "What if I had to become orange defending someone I love? Huh!? Then what? I would defend the one I love no matter what. Not everyone is equal in my eyes. Not everyone is worthy of the same treatment, if that was the case the people you love are no more special than strangers."

Endilix gave a heavy sigh, as the man's own status was obviously a point of contention. However, Endilix's smile grew wider, "No, it seems unfortunate, but I don't know you Oikawa. But I can tell when someone has had a long day, or a long week. For some of us, it has been much longer than that, both in actual time and with how heavy our hearts have become in light of what Aincrad is, and what it will be as we move forward." Endilix slapped the bar from his somber words, and gave a light chuckle, "But that's when we get a drink, and we keep going, right? Obviously no matter who you are, you've had a rough time of it. But you kept going. That's more than some people can say. So drink up, and keep going! It's a long road, but you look like you'll keep walking."

Endilix grabbed his drink and downed the remainder, before slamming it down on the bar, ice rattling violently in the clamor. "Another!" he shouted, to get the attention of the bartender over the general din of the tavern, before resuming where he left of with the somber blonde, "Did you do it for the right reason?"

A soul unfamiliar with my name and what it prompts. Such people seem rare these days. Even more exclusive are the ideals he seems to hold. Though he's surely noticed my crystal by now, the indication of what it implies seems to be irrelevant to him. Whether that should be taken as an insult or an act of kindness depends on my pride I suppose. Hmm a guy like him would normally irritate me yet he captivates me more than anything. 

Another swig was taken as the glass returned to the counter. Beads of condensation racing down the mug to add to the already expanding pool of water beneath it. Crimson eyes soon met emerald ones as the man spoke of how the blonde was doing better off than most. Though Endilix asked more than one question, Oikawa felt only one had enough merit behind it to answer. Eyeing his near empty glass, he chuckled before responding to his companion of sorts.

"Did I do it for the right reason," he echoed. "While one would be inclined to give a yes or no answer, neither of those truly fit the reasoning behind this," he mentioned; pointing to the crystal hovering above him. "The right reason could be defined differently for you than it could be for me. It could very well be the wrong reason for earning the cursor or not reason enough at all. It's all dependent on your way of viewing things I suppose. So I ask you, Endilix-Man of Hospitality, what would be the right reason to earn an orange crystal?"

This time, Endilix didn't notice the bartender bring his new glass. He didn't notice the trade window pop up, until the bartender gave a gruff, "Oy. You wanted my attention, now I can't even get yours." Endilix uttered a brief apology as the smile had faded in light of what the man next to him had asked. Payment was transferred on autopilot, Endilix's fingers dragging across the buttons on his UI. Again, he heard the words flash in his mind, "Standing up for what was right always mattered to you more than anything else. What if I'm not what's right? This is why...this is..why... This is why we aren't together anymore. This is why I couldn't love you. You're too busy trying to be a hero to realize you're surrounded by villains."

Endilix considered those words, letting them roll around in his mind as the drink he had been brought clinked lightly with the shifting and melting ice inside. He didn't see Oikawa for a moment. He only saw a shadow, the shadow of an old flame with the same vibrant orange crystal that she had never gained, but would have no problem obtaining for what she thought was the right reasons. Endilix blinked, and he saw the blonde again, still eyeing him questioningly, as the world grew a bit darker. Endilix grabbed the new glass, chugging it without another word, before lightly placing it back on the counter and allowing himself to digest all that was happening in an instant. His eyes closed as he considered how his beliefs had been so inexplicably challenged so quickly, not even by this man, but by his own past combined with facing that which he had used to fear most. A real murderer, someone who had taken the life of another. Most would say that it wasn't right in any form, and Endilix used to stand among them. But those days were gone.

Endilix's eyes flickered open and he met the crimson eyes that sat in a stark contrast to his own once again. "Protecting those you love most. I have to agree that it wouldn't be right or wrong, but nothing truly is in this world. I came to understand that over time. You can protect loved ones, even the world, and still be what people see as a monster. Even if you are the most righteous person on the planet."

Edited by Endilix

Crystal cubes rolled around like dice in his  glass mug. They each having downed yet another drink as the conversation moved along. Endilix's words scrubbed the surface of the general thought process for most. Playing on the notion of what was considered good reasons to earn the crystal. However, where he stood apart from the rest lied in the rest of his response. He spoke of generalities that most overlooked. His final sentence nailing the point home and giving Oikawa an answer he was rather pleased with. This however, still only grazed the surface of what he did.

Beckoning the bartender over, he promptly brought his hand across the trade menu; exchanging coins for more liquid answers as his glass magically filled once more. Cool sweet tea passed through his lips before offering the table another round of rattling ice before his gaze returned to Endilix and subsequently his attention to the conversation.

"I suppose I could agree. Protecting loved ones seems a plausible enough reason to strike another, but what if that another is also a loved one? What then? Does it matter? Do feelings play a part in ones decision or are they tossed away to the winds know as logic and reasoning? What of a person who struck down another in cold blood claiming they did it for the one they loved? What of a person who was under the influence of another and made the choice to take a life? A choice they wouldn't normally make? What do you make of these scenarios? Are they still good reasons even if all them were in the name of protecting a loved one?"

Endilix didn't order another drink. The conversation had taken an interesting turn, as the crimson haired man was faced with things that he had never been forced to consider. That was far more important than drinking, and Endilix turned to give his full attention to Oikawa. The questions filtered through his mind, one by one, and readily an answer would jump out for each one. But these were his old answers, his old way of thinking. Not that his mind had wildly changed, but the consideration of an open mind was far more important than the generic "heroic" answer.

Endilix put a hand on his knee and leaned against the bar, more at ease now. In a way, this topic was taboo, but it wasn't so much that either was saying that they would go out and kill tonight, as if they were creatures out for blood. No, it was a civil discussion, albeit about the topic of murder itself. Endilix could respect that, even if the act itself was one that, even for the right reasons, Endilix tended to frown upon. Endilix felt more at ease now, and returning to his normal self, though his smile had yet to grace his lips once again. His head leaned on his hand as he traced his gaze across the room, looking at all the people gathered in the small, dusty tavern.

"Each of these people here has a story, as do you, as do I. Given time, I could hear the entirety of your tale, and I have no doubt that if I did so, you'd offer me the same in return. That has no bearing on you being a murderer. That has no bearing on me being a quote, 'good person'. It's simply our history, and what happened. It's facts. And everyone makes mistakes in their past. Everyone here has, and will make mistakes, whether we ourselves believe those to be a mistake, or the rest of the world does. Generally it's one or the other. That is just commonality." Endilix stirred the rounded ice cubes still sitting in his empty glass idly as he considered his next words, the actual answers to Oikawa's questions. Endilix's eyes traced back to the man's and the smile finally returned, though lightly.

"Everyone develops a priority system in our lives. Generally family is most important. Followed by significant others, followed by close friends, regular friends, acquaintances, and so forth. If you're killing a family member because an acquaintance tells you to, obviously something is wrong with you. But, not knowing your story, I suppose it depends on where the person you killed falls in comparison to the person you were doing the killing to protect." Endilix sighed, "I had once wondered if I would kill my twin for someone I loved. I realized that I wouldn't, just as she made me realize that I fell beneath someone she loved. That grading scale is important, and acting outside of it is what tends to make people a monster." Another stir, "Sometimes the choice isn't yours to make. Sometimes it's made for you, and you have no choice but to side with the one you love most in the heat of a horrible moment."

Glass scraped wood as ice fell over itself and left a trail of water following the cup that had now been moved to the edge of the counter. Drinks were seemingly over as the two effectively gave the topic at hand their full attention. Elbows snuggled into the tops of his knees as Oikawa laced his fingers and rested his head on his hands. Vibrant blood colored eyes settled onto Endilix as he tossed the thoughts and questions around in his head. While the blonde was in no rush in a sense, he was eager to learn the crimson haired man's ideals regarding his questions.

Fascination had fixated itself once again to someone the blonde would typically have no business associating with. His throat begged for another pass of sweet liquid but his mind begged for answers. Fortunately one of those had finally come.

He listened intently. The words pouring out from Endilix like the addictive tea that once filled the blonde's cup. He consumed the response, digesting all the man had to offer and letting the answers sit on his mind as he processed exactly what was said.

Gears turned over in his head. The response was far better than he had imagined. The answers posed lined up with his own in a sense and as such he felt more inclined to pat the man on the back. Someone who thinks like myself. An oddity if you ask me but a respectable one nonetheless..

"I could lend you the details of my tale and have you weigh on it, but you already grasp the concept of how I responded to the situation. That said, I will not bore you with said story; however, for a face I've never seen, you've managed to garner my curiosity which is something most cannot claim. Endilix, you have my thanks. Given my intentions for coming here, you have put my mind at ease in comparison to my own attempt to do so. For that I thank you."

Endilix's eyes lazily drifted from the man next to him to his glass, and then back again. "Honestly, meeting an actual orange player is something I've never had the experience of. Most hide in the shadows, or openly flaunt their position in a way that says, 'Look at me, I'm unbeatable!' You did neither, and that's important." Endilix nodded, and sat up from his rested position. "You seem like an alright person, Oikawa."

As Endilix looked around he had noticed that the evening crowd appeared to be making their way to their rooms or clearing out of the tavern. In the lull, Endilix caught the attention of the bartender, who happily replaced the drinks for the pair. "Was startin' ta get worried you boys were done," he muttered, smiling. Endilix smiled back and transferred the sufficient funds to the bartender, with a bit of a tip for the man's service. Endilix savored his drink this time. He had been drinking alcohol to wind down, but was far more interested in this conversation to continue at the rate he had been going.

Endilix sat up fully once again, his normal smile gracing his lips as he looked to the man beside him, "You'll never find your answers alone, nor will you find them at the bottom of a glass. That's why I came to sit next to you. Conversation and company are how we find ourselves, and those we care about most." Endilix leaned forward and put a hand on Oikawa's shoulder, "I'd like to get to know more about you, friend. Perhaps you're looking for an adventuring partner? No doubt you don't need one, but maybe it'll offer you the chance to show the world that not every orange player is a monster."

• 2 weeks later...

Oikawa chuckled. The crimson haired man considered the blonde alright. He even placed a hand on his shoulder and offered him companionship if nothing else. His gaze darkened, finding the floor more so than the youth before him.

"Endilix, and what if I'm not alright? What if I wish to openly flaunt my levels and bare my crystal proudly to those around me? What if I want to be feared? What then? What becomes of me to you? Perhaps I care for far too many and instead I should focus on the select few worthy of my attention. Survivors like my self. Those who have no will to survive or drive to be stronger than who they currently are, do they deserved to be saved by us who have every intention of getting out of this place? Riddle me that?"

The blonde had no clue where this mindset had manifested, he hadn't planned on taking such a stance on the topics at hand and furthermore, what scared him most, was that he enjoyed it.