[PP-F2] Dual Trials and Tribulations <Completed>

Sey and Itzal were going to be the ones to overlook the initiation today. These two have been to his shop, but that was the most interaction that he had from the both of them. If he remembered correctly, Shield was the one that had been telling him to go over to him if Sey needed a merchant, which was a nice thought since he technically did have a connection now. Beat, well, he never heard of any shop he might of had. Just another casual shopper. Until now though, it was time for the test to begin when they arrived. Both Sey and Itzal covered all of the fields that needed to be tested. The snow-haired player would be waiting by the side of one of the rivers located on this floor, standing by it with the butt of his spear hitting the ground, his weight leaned on it. Placing his left hand in his pocket, he would just casually watch the flow of the water and enjoying what peace he had before the trials would begin. Nothing too intense, but he loved to think of it as an adventure. Still though, he was not planning to intimidate anyone.

@Itzal @Beat @Shield

Edited by Sey

Itzal walked up to Sey from behind and place a hand on his shoulder with a smile.  "Now why would you have your weapon out Sey?  We're asking them questions, not putting them through a trial or anything."  When Sey turned around Itzal would give him a friendly hug and back up to avoid interfering with private space any longer.  "So how's the leveling coming along?  I've finally got my hands on tracking so all that's left for me is to grandmaster stealth and I'll have mastered every scout related skill there possibly could be.  After that I just have to get rank three in martial arts to begin my route on the dps skills."  Seeing as how Sey's build was balanced, he'd need a lot more sp to really get far in any of the builds, but he knew that if anyone could do it, it was Sey.  Today however they needed to focus on two players Itzal heard about.  Shield and Beat.  Itzal knew nothing about them, however he wanted Sey to initiate these two.  He wanted to see how well he'd do with the questions.  There was really only one question that needed to be worded precisely, but the other two he wondered how Itzal would word them, and what questions he'd ask.  Sey knew the objective of each question so this would be interesting to see.

@Beat @Shield

Edited by Itzal
Spoiler

ID# 77560 results: Loot: 10 + 3 trinket + 1 skill + 1 skill trinket = 15 - +1 Material (1 total)

It had been some time since Shield had done much of anything on the second floor. A few low level quests had drawn him here along with @Beat, but in the aftermath of his more recent soloing and the tumultuous events surrounding his ascension to second tier, most of those memories had been pushed out of mind.

Now, wandering the paths that led to the rendez-vous spot where he and Beat had been asked to go, a few of the little skirmishes came to mind.

"It's been a little bit, hasn't it?" he asked aloud, turning to Beat with a little half-smile.

As he turned his head, a glint caught his eye. He jogged over to the side of the road where he had seen whatever it was, parting a few blades of grass to find a hunk of quartz.

Probably designed for alchemic use.

Straightening back up, he jogged over to his travel companion and resumed their little hike. Ahead, on the bank of the approaching river, Shield spotted two figures. One of them he knew to be @Sey, whom he had visited in his shop from time to time. The other was less familiar.

"That's them," he said with a deep breath. "Well, let's see what we have in store then."

Edited by Shield
Spoiler

ID# 77570: LD - 21 (17+4) = 1 T1 Mat found.

Beat took in a deep breath as they walked towards the rendezvous, the air of floor two different and refreshing, at least in his mind. 

"Ahhh floor two...it really has been a while. I'll be glad when we can say that about floor five. Not that I'll miss it." 

Beat dislike of floor five and its terrible deserts was shared with at least Shield, but he had a feeling that many players disliked the floor due to the harsh weather conditions.He stared at the sky as he imagined what being on the front lines would be like, leading him to wonder what the Celestial Ascendants truly had planned for them. 

"I just hope the guild can actually help us as much as they say they can. It stands to reason that they have the ability, but the question is will they?"

It wasn't that Beat distrusted Hikoru and the paladin's of the guild, he was simply cautious of letting groups make them promises that they had no intentions of keeping. He'd been burned before, but that was a different game and different people. As they arrived, Horus swooped down and perched on his shoulder with one leg, holding a clump of what appeared to be a dead animal of some sort. The chunk had a material item tag, so Beat happily accepted it, feeding his falcon companion a piece of meat in exchange as they arrived at the location.

"Well done my friend." 

Beat gave each of the players there a friendly wave as he awaited their test. 

Edited by Beat

"Because I get my mind mixed sometimes. I remember my Sentinel initiation, fun times. All the time I spend in the restaurant tends to make one forget a lot of things. On the plus side, I'm very close to having my cooking class maxed out." That was his ultimate goal at the end of all the baking he had been doing. He wanted to be one of the best shops in the game, and being able to raise prices and make a massive profit when the frontliners need their meals, it would be quite the delightful day. Naturally, those he are close to probably will pay a small amount, about 500 to nothing depending on the person. Favoritism of course, but it would be a lie to say that he would be the only one to do that. "Sweet, looks like you are getting that damage up. With you and Kasier by each other, you cover healing, scouting, and damage dealing. If Kasier picks up a tank hybrid alongside that, you both should be set in all fields." He explained before then addressing his own build like Itzal asked. "My build is working out well. You know where my spear is at. I have First Aid nearly Grandmastered, Battlehealing at the third rank, search and detect at the second rank, and heavy armor at the first. Skill points are tough, but eh..." The two of them would arrive. @Shield and @Beat. Sey would greet them casually. "Hello guys. Nice to see you both again. You both know what you're here for, right?" It would be at that moment when he realized that the spear was still in his grip. "Oh, pay this no mind." Sey explained as he would drop the spear to the ground, letting it shatter and return to his inventory.

@Itzal

Itzal turned to see the two players approach.  He smiled and walked over to the closest one, offering a handshake in greeting.  "Hi there!  My name is Itzal, nice to meet you!  Not sure if you guys met but this is Sey."  Before introductions could be complete Itzal heard Velnia shoot from the forest and fly between the two newcomers, circle around within the blink of an eye, and stopped, hovering in front of one of the players (Shield).  She stared her red eyes into his, for a good half minute.  Itzal knew what was coming next.  Velnia blinked and landed on the man, then proceeded to crawl all over him at lighting speed, finishing by stopping on his shoulder, and licking his cheek.  Itzal chuckled.  "And that's Velnia.  She's my familiar.  The most hyper thing I've ever laid eyes on and can eat an entire floor in one day and still be hungry."  Velnia licked her lips and the thought of food and Itzal chuckled again.  "Well, Sey will be the main one to initiate you guys.  I wanted to meet you guys myself.  It's always great to add others into our family." 

@Shield

Shield shook @Itzal's hand with a firm grip, holding his gaze with the steady, calculating look that was, for the most part, his face's natural resting state. He was about to make his own introduction when a familiar violet streak interrupted the informal ceremony.

Oh, no...

Immediately, the grouchy turtle on his back became alert and irate, slowly flailing his short legs in an attempt to get close enough to any part of Velnia to sink his hooked turtle beak into her. Shield rested his forehead in his hand for a moment before sliding his palm down his exasperated features. The large yet unobtrusive scar that dominated the left side of his features came back into view from behind his hand, and he took a breath before resuming.

"Our familiars have already met at the dance," he replied. "I believe Chewie and Velnia attempted to use Norbert here as a mobile dance floor."

Shield shook his shaggy head slowly before setting aside his impatience with his own familiar's temperament for the sake of decorum and focusing on the Celestial Ascendants before him.

"As I'm sure you know, I am Shield," he said, then gesturing to the younger player beside him. "This is @Beat, and the falcon on his shoulder is Horus. We have already spoken briefly with Hikoru and Jonathan at the most recent event. There were a few others present, but we did not have extensive conversations with any of them. @Sey, on the other hand, has provided me with about as much food as Beat has, though I expect as this one comes into his own as a chef that may no longer be the case."

He gave Beat a bit of an elbow to the ribs before turning his eyes front and center again. There was a stoniness to the dark irises, but to call them unkind would be misleading. They were impassive and analytical, but not angry.

Spoiler

ID# 77586 results: Loot: 20 + 3 equipped + 1 skill + 1 skill item = 25 - +1 material (2 total)

It was then that Shield noticed that the earring on his left earlobe had begun to glow with a faint light, and sure enough, on the ground at his feet was a tuft of unique looking grass. He knelt down, summoning his axe, which he used to cut through the base of the stalks before banishing the stuff to his inventory along with the weapon.

Must have been an herb of some sort, either for cooking or for alchemy.

Shield straightened back up and brushed himself off before returning his attention to the conversation at hand.

Edited by Shield

Beat gave @Itzal's hand a hearty shake with a firm grip and friendly smile. He had learned to be a little more discerning of people from simply hanging around @Shield long enough, but his outward, overly friendly at times nature was still there. 

Hm? 

Beat was a bit surprised to see the reaction from Norbert, his flailing and behavior somehow different than the usual grouchiness he normally exhibited. Normally Beat found Norbert's attempts to swim away in midair amusing, but this was anger. He looked to Shield and moved on as his traveling companion explained the story behind the outburst. His eyes, which had taken on a falcon-like sharpness since their bonding, moved to to Horus as he gave his companion a warm smile, which his companion seemed to return with a small squint of his eyes. 

We're both pretty lucky aren't we? 

He spoke as soon as Shield had finished introductions, adding to the compliment he had received about his cooking, something that had taken quite some time to receive from the surly gentleman, looking to @Sey as he spoke. 

"I believe I have eaten at Sey's cafe before. Delicious food to be sure. I wouldn't mind exchanging notes on flavors and recipes some time." 

His boisterous nature simmered down somewhat as he decided that with introductions out of the way, it was time to begin their trial, whatever that might be. He was not unaccustomed to how initiations worked in guilds, but with so much on the line, he knew that the paladins would be taking it far more seriously than they would if they weren't all trapped in the virtual space of SAO.

"I know we're here for the initiation test, but I don't think we have been made aware of ay of the other details. I certainly look forward to seeing what this process entails." 

Spoiler

ID# 77658: LD- 17 (13+4) = 1 T1 Mat found. (2 total) 

As Beat awaited a reply, his ring glowed much like Shield's earring had. Horus had been the one to spot the object of interest, however, and quickly swooped down and scooped up a small clump of herbs that were clearly intended to be made into seasoning with proper preparation. Beat held out his hand as Horus landed back on his perch and dropped the captured material into his waiting palm. He quickly stashed it, having never averted his gaze, though a small smile of pride had begun to show itself. 

Edited by Beat

They all were more or less able to relate to moments where they met back in the past, none of them seemed to be strangers, which was definitely a comforting thought to the snow-haired player. "All right boys. There will be a few questions to be asked. Answer however you feel, there are no "wrong answers". Take as much time as you need as well if you deem is necessary." He explained as he would look around, to the left side being a boulder. So he would proceed to move towards it before jumping up, landing  on it successfully with a bit of grace before sitting down on it, swinging his legs. "Question time uno! Why do you want to join the guild? And let's say you were brought into the guild. What do you think you both can provide to the table?" He would then place the palms of his hands behind his back, leaning his weight of them as he would await an answer.

@Beat @Shield @Itzal

Itzal watched as the turtle started snapping at Velnia who continually evaded him with ease and looked to Itzal, giving him a look that always meant she wanted food.  However something told Itzal that she wanted it for a different reason.  When Shield told Itzal the tale he burst out laughing, doubling over and once he got it out he looked at Velnia again.  "You did WHAT?!"  He laughed again and Velnia shook her head, flying to Itzal who gave her some food, and offered it to Norbert with an honest 'I'm sorry' look, hoping for forgiveness and a chance at friendship.  Itzal decided to help her out.  "Velnia's the most hyper familiar I've ever known.  If the bear did it first then she would just follow his lead in hopes of making a new friend."  Then Sey stepped forward and started the initiation.  Itzal stepped back and let Sey take the spotlight.  He knew Sey would do well.  Of that he had no doubts.

@Shield

Norbert seemed unwilling to compromise his turtley wrath, even in the face of food. His owner took a glance over his shoulder where the turtle still remained fastened firmly in place before turning his eyes back to @Itzal.

"I wouldn't bother," he said, holding up a hand to discourage fingers from entering within the strike zone. "He doesn't... play well with others. He's likely to snap at you even on a good day."

Shield sighed, trying not to let the conversation hang on his enraged reptile. He listened carefully to @Sey's inquiries, noting the similarities and difference to the questions posed by Jonathan at the dance. They were clearly thorough, which was a good sign. Nodding in acknowledgement, he weighed his thoughts before responding.

"I'll let @Beat speak for himself, but as for myself, the goals of the guild align with my own," he said, his voice slow and deliberate. "I can't afford to let myself slow down in my quest for the front lines. Being trapped here has made me realize the importance of the things I had been running from in the real world, and I need another chance to get back and do things properly this time. On top of that, as an older player, and as a father, I take my responsibility seriously to help free younger players from our pixelated prison."

The second part of the question was much simpler, and despite his accomplishments, his eyes remained impassive, no trace of ego in them as he continued with his reply.

"We both have plenty to offer," he said, with a very slight incline of his head. "Neither of us have been active players for a particularly long time, but since setting out from the town of beginnings, we've come a long way, which I think is a testament to our being highly motivated. I've hit tier two after little more than a month, and Beat isn't far behind me. It also bears mentioning that we were both top tier players in the game where we first met each other. SAO was actually supposed to be our means of settling our old rivalries on a new battlefield."

As many stories as they had to tell of their prior exploits, Shield knew that would only carry so much weight in an actual death game. Still, it was not difficult for him to find more concrete examples of their accomplishments.

"I believe we were all present for the battle against Freylise," he said, lifting an eyebrow as an invitation to correct him in his implied question if he was wrong. "I do not know how closely you were able to watch the goings on, but that was our first encounter with anything other than simple field bosses, and I would contend that we more than held our own. If I recall correctly, I was the only player on the field to be struck without sustaining actual damage, meanwhile she sustained more damage from attacking me than from some other player's actual offensives. Granted, your companion, Jonathan, was struck much harder than I was, but it still bears noting.

"As far as off of the battlefield, Beat will back up the fact that I'm always willing and able to serve as a voice of reason, sometimes without having been asked to do so. I was a statistician in my former life, so understanding potential risks, rewards, and likelihoods is what I do," he went on, lifting an upturned palm as a gesture to emphasize his point. "I believe it is that very skill which has helped me to optimize my build. It is also a part of why I think that the two of us are still alive, though that's a difficult claim to substantiate since we can't really know for sure how things would have turned out otherwise, and in the end, it's always been a team effort to survive."

Spoiler

ID# 77664 results: Loot: 3 + 3 equipped + 1 skill + 1 skill item = 8 - No materials (2 total)

Edited by Shield

Beat was determined to focus on the test, so his attention was not fettered much by the antics of the familiars around him. He listened intently to @Sey as he presented the first question, which was really a two-parter, but it was solid first question, so Beat wasn't going to worry about it. He took his time and listened to @Shield's answer before thinking for a few more moments, making sure to not rehash too much of what Shield had said, which wasn't as simple as it might have seemed considering how much of their time in SAO had been spent together.

"I want to join a guild that wants to be the strongest and wants the strongest players." He paused for a moment before clarifying as his eyes shifted between the two paladins, "My drive to be the best comes from my desire to protect myself and those I care about....or at least it did, but after my short time here, I think the lives of those who don't want to be here are also a motivation for me. I can be the best like I want, but now it's not just for me. It isn't fair to the people that have lives they are missing out on." 

Beat took a few moments to gather his answer to the second part and allow the two paladins a chance to digest his answer before continuing. 

"As Shield said, we're  dedicated, having reached over level twenty in the short time we've been here. We both have reasons to fight on the frontlines and we're not going to sit idly by and wait for our real life bodies to finally wither away just because it's hard. We bring determination, intelligence, bravery and skill to the table, something the frontlines and the Celestial Ascendants can always use more of, don't you think?"

Beat decided to lighten the mood and gave a chuckle. 

"Plus, I enjoy feeding hungry mouths and we all gotta eat!"

Edited by Beat

Itzal watched as the players replied.  The second player, Beat, was focused on becoming the strongest.  "The Celestial Ascendants tries to become stronger as a family rather than anything else.  One of the problems I see with the knights of the blood oath is that they only seek strength in stats and level, nothing else.  We see ourselves as a family and want to help each other and everyone else out there as well.  I'm glad to hear you guys are willing to join us.  We've been rather busy of late but we've worked towards getting back on track.  And some of us have done a decent job, while others are still a bit busy.  Alright, Sey those were good questions.  Now Shield, Beat, here's the last question.  Do you think murder is forgivable, acceptable, or excusable in any situation?  If so please state why you think so."  This was the only real important question that would determine whether they were in the guild or not.  After they answered this they would be in.

@Shield

This was the same question that Jonathan had given them at the dance. The first set of questions had been similar, but this one was very true to the spirit of it. It was good to know that the guild was solid on the importance of such a weighty question. Shield already had his answer in mind.

"As you implied," Shield began, picking his words very carefully, "there is a value in family. If the guild wishes to have family-like bonds, that speaks well to its character, but know that I have actual family that I hold above all."

As he spoke, his already stern jaw hardened. This was never an easy subject to brooch, but transparency was important at the moment, so he soldiered on.

"As a rule, I don't think that murder is ever justified, especially because the word 'murder' implies malice aforethought. Some sort of retribution as a result of feelings. In cases of self defense, killing may be horrific, but it is justified," he went on, winding his way to the actual conclusion of his thoughts. "But. Blood is thicker than water, and my return to the real world is my top priority. I do not foresee anyone in the guild ever standing in my way, especially given its goals and methods. However," he continued, holding up his finger to emphasize the weight of his words. "If anyone, for any reason, obstructs the completion of SAO, they will receive a painfully explicit warning. If they do not heed the warning, I will consider their lives forfeit.

"That is not a task that I will carry out with any amount of joy," he went on, crystallizing as clearly as possible the matter at hand as he lowered his finger. "However, although I'm sure I will have to wrestle with the aftermath, I doubt I will ever come to any conclusion other than it being justified."

The fists at his sides were tight. The thought of killing did not sit comfortably with him, and his jaw and stony eyes were both set on Itzal. He did not expect the younger man to challenge him on any of the content of his answer, but he let the silence ring for a moment anyways. Even Norbert took a break from his complaints, sensing tension in the body that supported him.

Spoiler

ID# 77766 results: Loot: 6 + 3 item + 1 skill + 1 skill item = 11 - No materials (2 total)

Edited by Shield

It was good to see that the issue of player killing was such a concern to the guild. Beat was certainly looking forward to obtaining strength with their help, but he cared about how he got to the top and was glad that he wouldn’t have to worry about being asked to do anything morally questionable. He listened to Shield’s answer, pretty much knowing what his friend’s answer would be, though still making a note to ask him about his family, since it had never truly come up during their travels before. He looked to @Itzal after allowing Shield’s answer to completely sink in.

“Well, given my answer to the first question, the lives of everyone has value. Despite whether or not I know you, your life has an inherent value which cannot be ignored without sufficient cause.” His brow furrowed as their adventures in the jungles of floor six came rushing back to him, “However, self-defense is certainly a scenario that is regrettable, but potentially unavoidable. The only situation in which I would take another human life would be in self defense.”

He held his finger up as he decided to clarify that point, “Though possibly justified at times, taking a life is never easy and should never become routine. The weight of their life should weigh you down for a time afterwards.” 

Edited by Beat

"Hm hm hm... What do you think, Itzal?" Sey would ask, returning to the fray for the moment. It was a little bit tough for him to break down the words so swiftly at once, it took a bit of time for him to drink up the words. Unfortunately, this was a flaw that he had back in the real world, and his father probably would drill him to this day about it if he were still there. Fortunately, he was not going to be going through that now, though the cost was hefty. I myself never got a familiar. They are rather difficult to tame I hear, and honestly, I'm rather busy." The snow-haired Sentinel would explain, swinging his legs over the edge, placing the palm of his hand on the side of his head as he would put his weight towards his arm as well. There was not too much for him to go off of based on what he heard, this was his first time trying this out anyways, as much as that might have been an inconvenience since they jumped the gun a bit early.

Itzal listened carefully to Shield and Beat.  He was happy to hear that they took this question seriously.  The fact that they did so gave him reason to believe that they would give the right answer.  And he wasn't wrong.  When Shield spoke he seemed to essentially have the same mindset as Itzal, which of course made him very happy.  When Beat spoke he shared essentially the same perspective, however in a different way.  Itzal nodded as they spoke.  Unlike Sey, Itzal's mind processed things faster than others, and thus he kept up with them rather easily.  When Norbert stopped his antics, Velnia didn't try cuddling with him, as it seemed a bad thing in this case, but rather she sat on Shield's other shoulder, making a cute noise as it seemed she understood how he felt.  When Sey asked what Itzal thought he smiled.  "You two went above and beyond what we hope from initiates.  You guys are in.  Welcome to the Celestial Ascendants.  We're still a rather young guild so things won't be perfect.  Though, families are never perfect.  We'll do our best though and I hope you'll enjoy your time here.  If you guys have any concerns, issues or worries just let me, another paladin, or Sey know so we can work out the issue.  If you guys need anything or just want to hang out, feel free to ask any member." 

@Shield

Spoiler

ID# 77883 results: Loot: 20 + 3 item + 1 skill + 1 skill item = 25 - +1 Material (3 total)

Shield nodded, appreciative of the accolades and the welcome they had received. He turned to @Beat and extended the side of his fist to the younger man beside him, as was their gesture of mutual congratulations. His other hand, meanwhile, reached up towards where he thought Velnia's face was as his eyes remained on Beat. Something told him, however, that he had misjudged where the dragonling resided, because as he reached, he heard an all to familiar sharp clapping sound, and as he glanced over, the very tip of his middle finger was missing. A slight trickle of red pixels trailed from the shortened digit.

"Norbert," he grumbled to himself.

He turned towards the river and took a few paces, closing his hand and letting it rest at his side to draw less attention to it.

"We'll be glad to take the time to get to know the guild better," Shield replied, his eyes following the course of the river as it flowed past them.

A few feet in front of him, he spied a chunk of ore hiding behind a tuft of grass and knelt down to retrieve and stow it in his inventory. Brushing himself off, he stood once more and turned back to address Itzal and Sey directly.

"We're not signing a 'to have and to hold' or anything, but we can at least see if there's a seat for us at the family table, so to speak."

Edited by Shield

Beat smiled appreciatively at @Itzal for the kind words and praises. I had known that his answer would likely fall in line with what the Celestial Ascendants stood for, but it was always good to get confirmation and to be accepted into something larger than oneself. His smile widened as he returned @Shield gesture, their fists gently bumping as he spoke.

“Thank you for allowing us to join your family. It seems that conflicts of morality will be a problem, so I truly hope we get along well.”

It was an odd thing to be a part of a guild he wasn’t running, though he figured he could always start his own if the feeling simply refused to go away or got worse for some reason. He wondered what Shield’s feelings on the matter were since they had both created and run their own guilds when they were the champions of Crossreign. He smiled at his traveling companion.

“This will certainly be a change for us. Let’s do our best to adjust quickly”

@Sey

Edited by Beat

"Welcome then brothers! Should we not celebrate this? I wouldn't mind feeding you all right now!" Sey would tell them before picking out a couple items from his inventory, just because he felt like he could. It was like a little greeting for the both of them for making it through the initiation. "These are usually very popular items, though they will get you drunk as well. The damage that you inflict will increase heavily, but your body can barely move, so use it wisely. You'd be surprised how much of a difference that these things can make in a battle." Sey would tell them before then tossing the both of them two ice cream cones. Thrown ice cream since the game did not let the ice cream fall from the cone. Should it be caught by the waffle cone, everything should be fine. "Welcome to the Ascendants. I must say though, you both seem to be climbing up swiftly. Keep at it, it will definitely be worth it."

OOC - One Ice Dream Cone for Beat and one for Shield :3

Spoiler

Name: Ice Dream Cone
Profession: Cook
ID:  77374
Roll: 12
Item Type: Dessert
Tier: 2
Quality: Perfect
Enhancements: +3 Alcoholic
Description: Ice Cream with alcohol. The ice cream comes in a cone, so the satisfaction of waffle cones is finally existent

Name: Ice Dream Cone
Profession: Cook
ID:  77371
Roll: 12
Item Type: Dessert
Tier: 2
Quality: Perfect
Enhancements: +3 Alcoholic
Description: Ice Cream with alcohol. The ice cream comes in a cone, so the satisfaction of waffle cones is finally existent