[SP-F8] "Who the Heck are You?" An Unexpected Meeting or Three

It was going to be a simple day starting in Florenthia, then to the wilds of the eighth floor for some training. Surely there would be some strongish monsters he could fight, maybe loot. He was getting a bit tired of the repetitiveness of his usual constant training. He slunk down slightly in his chair within one of Florenthia's taverns, he yawned, feeling bored. Little did he know that by coming to this tavern, he'd be getting more than he bargained for. This would begin with a familiar face walking up to him. " 'Sup, Vig? You're lookin' a bit down. Something the matter?" Vigilon made eye contact with his friend/informant, Akudo. "The only thing wrong at the moment is that I'm feeling reeeeeally bored..." Veriost was sleeping on Vigilon's shoulder as usual, but he was too bored to bother waking her. "Well, in that case, have I got something for you. There's something that a player I know is after, and it's being kept in a kobold encampment somewhere on this floor. I don't recall the item's name, but as for what it looks like, it is a vibrantly colored, jagged gemstone that seems to be in various fiery colors. You know, mostly red and orange, tinged with yellow, that kind of thing." Akudo explained. Vigilon sat up straight, then responded with, "I am almost interested. This must be something important if it ain't some common material. However, do you know where it is?" Akudo was about to speak, but it seemed that something wasn't right. He spoke, but it wasn't what Vigilon hoped... "Weeelll, yes and no. I don't know the exact location of the encampment, but I have the general area where it might be. Allow me to mark it on your map, if possible." Upon doing so, Vigilon would begin to make his way out, but he stopped to avoid bumping into someone...which he kinda failed at doing, because someone pushed past him, moving him forward when he didn't want to. "Oof!" The player would move back a few steps, then call out, "Hey! watch where you're going!"

{Scarlet}(The NPC Player Vigilon accidentally bumped into):

Spoiler

Scarlet.jpg.0964816e05f45076ea1e3f1be06e4b94.jpg

Stats and Equipment:

Spoiler

Level:  30
HP:  600
EN:  70(Base[60], Energist[10])
Damage: 14(Martial Arts Rank 5[+7], Veriost[+6])

MIT: 18(Swift Endurance)

ACC: 1(Karri's Fang)

EVA: 1(Swift Endurance)

REC: 3(Swift Endurance[+2], Karri's Fang[+1])

Equipment:

[T1]Berserker Gloves(1 Taunt, 1 Bleed, 1 Paralyze)

[T2]Swift Endurance(1 Mitigation, 1 Evasion, 1 Recovery)

[T1]Karri's Fang(1 Recovery, 1 Accuracy, +1 LD)

Skills:

One handed straight sword Rank 2

Energist

Martial Arts Rank 5

Familiar Mastery: Fighter Rank 3

Edited by Vigilon
Changed NPC player's Username from Scarlet to {Scarlet}(New player showed up with this name, so I had to pick something new...

"Sorry, didn't mean to bump into you like that." The young woman stopped for a second. "Oh, you don't look like one of those dumb*** NPCs who play the blame game when bumping into someone. Who are you supposed to be?" ...This was a new question. "Uhhhh....Vigilon. My name is Vigilon." The redhead was wearing what seemed to be a crimson leather vest with silver accents over an adventurer's dress, scarlet in color. She also wore white leggings paired with black leather boots, and a ruby-colored cloak and hood. The hood was currently off, so Vigilon could see her face. "Vigilon? Hmm... I kinda feel like I heard it from someone else before...you don't look like very much to me, though..." Akudo walked up and stopped beside Vigilon, and he noticed the girl. "Well now," He said as he smiled while trying to look like someone intriguing. "You seem to be an attractive one." The girl did not look amused, intrigued or interested. "Please don't mind him," Vigilon explained. "Out of all my male friends, Akudo here is the most prone to being attracted to girls." The girl placed her left hand on her hip. "He's not the only one who was attracted to me." She would smirk as she then looked to Akudo to explain, "Now then, I'll tell you right now, if you're trying to look charming, you're currently failing at it. If you wanna be able to attract girls you like, you gotta know how it's done. I'm not exactly in the mood to teach you that little trick right now, but if you're still hopeful, just don't look absolutely pathetic and maybe we'll talk." She looked to the two male players. "By the way, the name's Scarlet. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some important things to do, so I'll see you boys later." With that, she would continue on towards the other side of the tavern, where another player, probably an informant, was waiting for her.

Edited by Vigilon

Akudo had a hopeful expression on his face. "Maybe...that's way better than no! I think I might have a shot!" Vigilon deadpanned as he looked to Akudo. "Just because you've got a better chance doesn't necessarily mean you have a shot. You've been both rejected and dumped by girls and female NPCs. You sure this one's gonna work out? ...On the other hand, at least you always pull off a better love story than Twilight every time, no matter what happens..." Akudo's expression didn't falter. "Let's just look at the positives! Heck, I doubt my life could get much worse than it is, so I've got that to keep me hopeful!" Vigilon's deadpan faded. "Well, you do have a point. Of course, I do advise that you don't jinx it for yourself. So...good luck with Scarlet, and I'll be off to retrieve the item!" Vigilon left the tavern, then checked his map again. "Right...so it's...this way!"

• 1 month later...

It took some time to get halfway there, but at least he could keep his eyes open for anything else on the way. He managed to spot one ore among some rocks. "Even when trying to hide it from me, I can still tell the difference!" He managed to pull out the ore, but it turned out to be a very detailed, ordinary rock. "Argh, I've been bamboozled!" Currently, Vigilon had no current clue as to where in the target area the encampment would be, for the entire floor was practically covered in forests. There would need to be a clearing, be it big or small, in order for one to exist. Vigilon considered trying to climb a tree to see if he could find any signs of a clearing. He would attempt to climb five different trees, and he only succeeded in climbing the last one"This is...harder than...it looks!" He hadn't climbed many trees during his childhood, nor in his teen years. As a result, it was difficult for him to do this. When he finally poked his head above the top layer of leaves, the layer of leaves was all that he saw. "Dang, that didn't work."

ID# 118407 LD: 13+1=14(Failed)

Edited by Vigilon
  • 2 weeks later...

Vigilon got down from the tree, and continued on. It was a long an monotonous search, until the strangest thing happened... "Huh, I didn't expect to see you here...well, right here, right now, at least." Vigilon looked behind him to see {Scarlet}. "Oh, hey. So then, your business brought you to this area or something?" He asked, unsure of what else he could say. {Scarlet} circled Vigilon as if sizing him up. As she did so, she would say, "Yeah, but the rest is still my business...of course, you wouldn't know of something known as <<Fireheart>>, do you?" Strangely, this felt connected to something else Vigilon had heard earlier. "Well, I haven't, but there's some sort of item I'm looking for as well. Now that you mention that name, it does make me think of- AAAGH!!" Suddenly something pushed him forward, getting his leg caught on something. The rest was a blur, but when the sudden chaos had ended, {Scarlet} was gone, and Vigilon was hanging by the leg on one of those animal traps that held its victim from the ankle. "What...what the heck just happened? Where'd she go? ...Guess she didn't want to stick around in case there were more of these...I don't blame her."

It was only half an hour, but for Vigilon it felt like three-and-a-half hours. When said time had passed, Vigilon saw someone coming over to the area. It was Stryker, a player from Auranika's guild that he had met some time ago. She didn't look too thrilled about seeing him in his current position... "...Well now, I didn't expect to see you here...especially not within one of my traps. Don't you know to pay attention to your surroundings?" Vigilon had an unimpressed look on his face. "Were you expecting an animal? Besides, something pushed me into the trap! I don't know if it was game logic or a monster, but then again, my HP didn't drop, so, I dunno exactly what happened." Stryker came closer. "Well then, what do you remember, or was it just that?" Vigilon thought for a minute, then once he'd recalled the moment, he explained, "Well, a player who called herself Scarlet and I were in the middle of a conversation. She walked in a circle around me as we spoke, and as I was answering one of the questions she'd asked me, something about a <<Fireheart>>, I was pushed forward, and the rest was a blur, aside from a bunch of footsteps that might have been some players running. May have been fewer, but probably in any direction, since the sound came up from all directions as I was getting pulled up in the air with a spin."

Edited by Vigilon

Stryker now had an unimpressed look on her face. "Are you an idiot?" Vigilon blinked twice, confused. "Maybe, why do you ask?" Stryker put her fists on her hips. "I'd give you a good slap across the face if it wouldn't put an infraction on my cursor. There's no mystery to your problem, the answer is completely obvious!" She pulled out a dagger and cut the rope that held Vigilon. He fell to the ground headfirst, but at least it was only three feet in distance. "Agh! Um...thank you? I guess...I'll be going now?" Stryker pulled out a new rope and began to reset her trap. "Don't mention it. Please use your head next time, that's what it's there for, after all." Vigilon would continue on the path, and he managed to narrow down the area he was supposed to look in. He still had yet to get the actual area down, but he managed to figure out some of where the encampment wasn't in. 

Some time later, Vigilon saw {Scarlet} yet again. She seemed just as surprised to make eye contact. "Oh...we meet again. This is the third time I've ran into you today, something's definitely up here..." Vigilon was confused about her words. "Um...what? Heh, Imagine what's happening on my end! I was stuck in a trap for half an hour! I had no idea what happened! I mean, I could guess that you ran off, but I don't know what from...then again, everything was a blur during that moment..." {Scarlet} appeared as though she was thinking for a minute, and then her eyes lit up, as if she'd realized something. "Oh...I get it now...I was wondering why your username was so familiar to me... Yes, I've heard of you... Now, I'd like to see if what I've heard is true." Vigilon was now even more confused, but then he received a duel request from her. "How good are you in a fight? No need to say it, just prove it in a half-loss duel!"

-{Scarlet} has challenged Vigilon to a duel!

• 4 weeks later...

Vigilon blinked, a bit taken aback by the request. "Um, ...ok?" He pressed accept, and set the conditions to Half-loss, the agreed upon terms. Hopefully, this girl wasn't insanely powerful. She pounded her fists together, and cracked her knuckles, showing that she used the martial arts skill. Vigilon did the same as a retaliative intimidation. {Scarlet} simply smirked. "Oh, so you think you can just act all tough and expect to scare me, hm? Nah, that ain't gonna work on me! I let the stats and skills, rather than displays, do the talking. I mean, I don't mind a nice display, but I try to focus on the priorities." She explained. Vigilon shrugged. "Well then, if our skills and stats will do the talking, by all means, let's use them to the fullest! Come at me!" He stated as he got into a "come at me bro" stance. He was ready...ish.

[Vigilon has accepted the duel request, and set Victory conditions to Half-loss]

(Vigilon)ID# 121431 LD: 9

({Scarlet})ID# 121432 LD: 12

{Scarlet} has won the initiative roll, and will be going first.

{Scarlet}'s stat's and equipment:

Spoiler

Level 30

HP: 620

EN: 70

DMG: 9(MA rank 5[+7], Athletics[+1])

MIT: 30(Crimson Vest[+18], Light Armor Rank 3[+12])

EVA: 2(Crimson Vest)

ACC: 3(Ruby Fists[+2], Rogue's Charm[+1])

Equipment:

[T2] Ruby Fists(2 ACC, 1 PAR)

[T2] Crimson Vest(1 MIT, 2 EVA)

[T2] Rogue's Charm(1 ACC, 1 Prosperity, 1 LD)

Skills:

Martial arts Rank 5

Light Armor rank 3

Energist

Mods:

Athletics

Edited by Vigilon

The timer for the duel to begin ended, and the timer for the duel's duration started, as the word <<Fight!>> appeared between the two players. Vigilon rushed forward, but {Scarlet} was ready for him. She sped off with all her speed, rushing toward Vigilon faster than he could react, and used the Sword Art known as All Might, decking him right in the face, and the force of the attack knocking him seven yards into a tree. Vigilon tried to get up, but he could do nothing. He looked up at his HP meter, spotting the mark for the paralysis status ailment beside his HP, which had dropped by almost a whole quarter of his HP. Dang, this girl meant business. "Oh, yeah, this is great, just perfect!" Vigilon called out sarcastically. "Clearly, you're not like most opponents I've faced." {Scarlet} chuckled. "Yeah, I'm not like the other dumba**es you've probably fought. Man, you sure took quite the hit there! This will be easier than I thought!"

({Scarlet})ID# 121478 BD: 10(Critical! +2 base DMG, inflicted Paralysis)

(Vigilon)ID# [Paralysis refrains Vigilon from taking action]

All Might: 11x15-18=147 Damage

Vigilon: HP 453/600, EN 70/70, | 14 DMG | 18 MIT | 1 ACC | 1 EVA | 3 REC | 1 Taunt | T1 Bleed | PAR (147/300 HP depleted) {Paralyzed}

Opponent:

{Scarlet}: HP 620/620, EN 55/70, | 9 DMG | 30 MIT | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | PAR (0/310 HP Depleted)

Edited by Vigilon

Vigilon was completely upset over getting demeaned in the middle of combat yet again. "Easier? EASIER?? Gosh darn it, why does everyone in this game think they're better than everyone else?? What is wrong with you people??" He got up,  and was ready for some payback, as well as teaching a lesson. {Scarlet} smirked, confident in her potential victory. "Oh, is someone having a problem 'cause they're losing? C'mere, lemme shorten your pain. Bud." Vigilon and {Scarlet} both rushed at each other, using All Might, punching each other in the face, at the exact same time, to be precise. Scarlet fell down, paralysis and bleed being the ailments upon her. Vigilon fell down as well, getting up to see his HP close to yellow. "You're not bad, but I guess the damage I just dealt makes our capabilities even, don't you think?" {Scarlet} stared at Vigilon, then looked to her HP. She growled mildly, knowing there really was a chance for her to lose.

({Scarlet})ID# 121482 BD: 5+3-1=7(Hit)

(Vigilon)ID# 121483 BD: 10(Critical, +2 Base DMG, inflicted Paralysis and T1 Bleed)

All Might: 9x15-18=117 Damage

All Might: 16x15-30=210 Damage to {Scarlet}

Vigilon: HP 336/600EN 55/70, | 14 DMG | 18 MIT | 1 ACC | 1 EVA | 3 REC | 1 Taunt | T1 Bleed | PAR (264/300 HP depleted) 

Opponent:

{Scarlet}: HP 410/620EN 40/70, | 9 DMG | 30 MIT | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | PAR (210/310 HP Depleted) {Paralyzed} Bleed: 2 Turns, 12 DMG

Edited by Vigilon

"Well, I'll admit this was a surprise to me, you didn't look like that much, you know. Say, what have your other experiences with duels been like? I mean, how else would you be so upset on how players seem to see themselves?" {Scarlet} admitted and asked. Vigilon's tension lowered as he started to think about this. "Well, I mean, it's really been hard for me. I won few, lost all others, and they seemed to act as if they all were the best. Ind0minus thinks he's better than me 'cause he's 'smarter than me', Azrea simply thinks I'm weak, Auranika thinks she's better than me 'cause she thinks she's better than everyone her level and will be better than anyone eventually...and of course, there was Venorim, who thought he could fight me over such a trivial matter, not realizing what he was getting us into until he was beaten, and Leyran, that Griffin Legion goon who thought he could murder me in a duel, which I barely escaped out of, and- Wait a second!" He turned around, remembering that he was in a duel, and {Scarlet} just managed to get out of paralysis and dodge the attack. {Scarlet} started laughing. "Ha ha ha ha, you dumba**, I got you monologuing!"

({Scarlet})ID# [Paralysis refrains {Scarlet} from taking action]

(Vigilon)ID# 121487 BD: 3+1=4(Miss)

Bleed damage: {Scarlet} takes 12 DMG

Vigilon: HP 336/600EN 53/70, | 14 DMG | 18 MIT | 1 ACC | 1 EVA | 3 REC | 1 Taunt | T1 Bleed | PAR (264/300 HP depleted) 

Opponent:

{Scarlet}: HP 398/620EN 41/70, | 9 DMG | 30 MIT | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | PAR (222/310 HP Depleted) {Paralyzed} Bleed: 1 Turn, 12 DMG

Edited by Vigilon

Vigilon was aggravated at having been fooled, a bit more so 'cause {Scarlet} found it hilarious. "Oh yeah, you laugh, but it's not funny...it'll be even less funny when I beat you!" {Scarlet} didn't stop laughing. "Ha ha ha, I'd like to see you try!" The two would attempt to attack with All Might once again, but their fists collided with each other, not really doing any damage. This continued a few times until it became both players letting loose flurries of punches that were dodged repeatedly. Neither one was going to let their guard down, for at this point, one successful hit would end the duel. Vigilon wanted to prove himself in this battle, and {Scarlet} had more than that one reason to fight...she had other reasons, too. If they were to realize what it is they were fighting over...or, rather, if Vigilon was to know what they were fighting over...

({Scarlet})ID# 121490 BD: 2+3-1=4(Miss)

(Vigilon)ID# 121491 BD: 4+1-2=3(Miss)

(Of course they both miss)

Bleed damage: {Scarlet} takes 12 DMG

Vigilon: HP 336/600EN 51/70, | 14 DMG | 18 MIT | 1 ACC | 1 EVA | 3 REC | 1 Taunt | T1 Bleed | PAR (264/300 HP depleted) 

Opponent:

{Scarlet}: HP 398/620EN 39/70, | 9 DMG | 30 MIT | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | PAR (234/310 HP Depleted) 

Edited by Vigilon

Vigilon was ready to strike with all his might. Of course, so was {Scarlet}. She caught his fist with her left hand, and punched him with her right hand(using All Might, by the way). The force of the attack sent Vigilon flying a few yards. He tumbled and rolled backward on the ground, until he slid to a stop, on his back. Vigilon started to get up, and he saw the word <<Winner!>> above {Scarlet}. He lost. Again. How many duels had he lost? {Scarlet} laughed, relishing her victory. "Yeah, you're not terrible, I suppose...but you're still far from being the best of the best!" Vigilon got up, and decided to add, "The best of the best are the frontliners." {Scarlet} responded with, "Pfft, I was talking skill and build-wise." {Scarlet} seemed to notice something nearby, and walked close to Vigilon. "Anyway, there's a condition to the fight that wasn't openly discussed... Winner gets a head start to <<Fireheart>>! Bye!" Before Vigilon could react, or even ask "What?", he was pushed to the right, and he got his ankle caught on yet another trap, which pulled him up into the air. "WWWHAAAAAAUUGGGHH!!!!" {Scarlet} laughed as she ran off, leaving Vigilon stuck in yet another trap. It took four minutes for Vigilon to put two and two together, and realize what was going on.

({Scarlet})ID# 121559 BD: 4+3-1=6(Hit)

(Vigilon)ID#

All Might: 9x15-18=117 Damage

K.O.!

Vigilon: HP 219/600EN 51/70, | 14 DMG | 18 MIT | 1 ACC | 1 EVA | 3 REC | 1 Taunt | T1 Bleed | PAR (381/300 HP depleted) DEFEAT

Opponent:

{Scarlet}: HP 398/620EN 14/70, | 9 DMG | 30 MIT | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | PAR (234/310 HP Depleted) VICTORY

Edited by Vigilon

"Why that little jerk, she'd been causing trouble the whole dang trip! I'm gonna get out of here, Scarlet, and I'm gonna teach you a lesson! I'll do so once my HP isn't so low, and I can take another chance to beat you! All you wanted was to take this <<Fireheart>> for yourself, and get rid of anyone who even looks like they might, potentially, possibly get in your way, even if they wouldn't, and I-" He would realize that the area he was in was also within the general area of the item he was searching for. Once again, he put two and two together this time. "Wait a minute, I am getting in her way! My target item and <<Fireheart>> are one and the same! Gosh darn it, I gotta get outta this trap if I want to succeed before that crazy chick takes what I'm after!"

He struggled, he flailed, he tried using the force of momentum to get himself out of the trap...but to no avail. another half-hour later, he was found by Stryker once again. She didn't look too happy... "You have got to be kidding me... Again? Seriously?" Vigilon looked over to Stryker. "Scarlet did this to me! She's after the same thing I'm after! I gotta get outta this thing and search the heck out of this area so I can get the item before her! I-" "Shut up, I get it, you finally put two and two together!" She cut the rope that bound Vigilon, and began to reset her trap again. "Thank you and goodbye!" Vigilon said as he rushed off. "Wait, slow down, you idiot, you'll get your foot caught in-" "WhaAAAAAAAAAUUGH!!!!!!!" Vigilon ended up getting his foot caught in another trap, same exact one. "Are you trying to gather enough meat for an army or something? Otherwise I doubt you'd need this many traps!"

With an irritated sigh, Stryker would release Vigilon from the trap. He would then rush off again, but make sure not to get caught in any further traps. about two hours of searching later, Vigilon was close to giving up. However, he then caught sight of something not normally seen in a forest. He'd spotted a Kobold encampment. Hopefully, this is the one he'd been hoping to find. "I'll find <<Fireheart>>. I'll find it before that crazy chick Scarlet does..." He would attempt to sneak his way into the encampment, hoping the Kobolds wouldn't spot him. Right now, things seemed quiet...mostly quiet. Vigilon looked over to a source of sound, and saw {Scarlet}, who was fending off an ambush of Kobolds. Vigilon saw this as an opportunity to swipe <<Fireheart>> while the monsters were occupied, assuming {Scarlet} hadn't already found it. He would sneak into the first tent. No Kobolds in sight, but no sign of <<Fireheart>>, either.

Tent after tent, no sign of <<Fireheart>>. When Vigilon sneaked into a larger tent, he saw a sleeping Kobold. It had a staff, like a symbol of leadership, and on top of the staff, was a single gemstone in brilliant, fiery colors. <<Fireheart>>. Vigilon would have to be careful. He slowly approached the Kobold, and would lightly hold the staff with his left hand as he removed <<Fireheart>> using his right. He would then sneak out of the tent, and slowly make his way to the border of the encampment. Once he had done so, he saw the Kobold with the staff come out, infuriated. The kobold saw {Scarlet}, currently fighting the other Kobolds, and he would join in the fight. Vigilon would check his inventory, sure enough, he had what he came for. <<Fireheart>> was in his inventory. He would then run off, since there was nothing else around. Maybe if {Scarlet} had sneaked into the encampment, like Vigilon did, both would have had equal chances of obtaining <<Fireheart>>.

He transitioned over to a walk as he got further away from the encampment, making his way back to the settlement. About half an hour later, he looked behind him, and saw {Scarlet} running towards him. Clearly, the Kobolds wouldn't stall her nearly long enough. "Oh, shoot!" He sprinted off, hoping to reach the safe zone quickly. He ran out of breath just as he reached the safe zone, but he saw a group of NPCs. Surely, he might be able to lose {Scarlet} if he went through them. "Gang way, coming through!" {Scarlet} got closer and closer. "Hey! Get back here!" Vigilon continued through the crowd. "I found it first! Its mine now!" {Scarlet} persisted. "Well I won the duel, technically, it should be mine!" Oh, boy, this girl was relentless... "You already gave me a defeat punishment! <<Fireheart>> is mine! I took it off that kobold fair and square!"

Vigilon entered the tavern, where Akudo was waiting for him. Vigilon closed the door behind him, and held it closed. "Um...any reason you're doing that, Vig?" Akudo asked. Vigilon managed to sustain the force from {Scarlet}'s attempts to break through the door. "Yeah, um...see, Scarlet's not my friend..." Akudo looked confused. "...What?" Vigilon sustained another hit at the door. A voice called out, "Open the door!" From outside. "She was after the same thing!" Vigilon pulled <<Fireheart>> out of his inventory, and tossed it over to Akudo. "You might wanna leave out the back door..." Akudo took a look at the item. "This is...exactly what she was looking for. I'll take your advice and leave through the back door. I don't wanna ruin my chances with Scarlet...bye." Figures, he was still interested in {Scarlet}. Once Akudo left, Vigilon was knocked over to the wall by the force of {Scarlet}'s latest attempt to burst through the door. The NPCs watched as the scene unfolded.