[F1-PP] Here's Something to Believe In

[Music]

Like a phoenix from the ashes, the sun had risen from death once more to lazily soar above the first floor's horizon. Few people roamed the fields and their rolling hills at this hour; thus making an ideal time in which society's outcasts could travel with little hassle. Platitudinous thoughts such as this were why he found himself reclined here after all this time.

How long had it been since he was last here? Seul wasn't sure. But that didn't stop him from taking comfort in the familiar setting. Compared to the higher floors, it was like a dream. The sky seems bluer and the grass softer. The enemies less hostile and the people friendlier. Why anyone would want to leave at this point was beyond him.

Perhaps, though, he was merely feeling nostalgic and longing to be with people he travelled with long ago. In truth, he missed the person he was then. All that remained were good, yet fleeting memories. They were better than nothing.

---

Seul reflected for some time while cloud watching. He couldn't turn back time. All anyone could do was move forward. But with no ambitions or allies to speak of in this world, where could he go?  

Where did he want to go? 

The question echoed in his mind as he watched a man pass on the road below from atop his hill. If only he could walk like him; with purpose in each step. Following the footsteps of another might spark something anew in him. And so he did. 

@Morningstar

• 3 months later...

Every step Stephen took seemed to be getting heavier and heavier. That being said, he trekked forward through the vast plains, which made up a majority of the first floor. It had been some time since he'd left them; other floors had too many memories that he'd chosen to leave behind. He needed time away from the busyness of society. The fields were good for that, since even the native boars would ignore the brunette as he passed by.

Even to him, his destination was unclear. All he knew was he needed to keep himself moving. A fire was growing inside of him and he was keeping it alive.

Once in a while, nostalgia would creep up and surprise him. He remembered his first time killing a mob; his first time leaving Floor 1; his first time meeting her.

Stephen slowed down until he eventually came to a complete stop, his gaze fixed on the growing sunrise. He recalled one of his most treasured moments throughout all of his time in Aincrad.

---

"Did you ever read that one poem? Ozymandias?" asked a blonde woman. She was dressed in a dark outfit under a cloak, sort of like Stephen's. Actually, it was exactly like his. Her golden hair was tied back, and while you wouldn't realize it without knowing her, this was uncommon for the girl.

"I wasn't really a big poetry guy," Stephen replied, a subtle laugh leaving his mouth.

"For some reason, that doesn't surprise me," she joked, although he knew it was harmless. "Anyways," the blonde continued, "It was about a king who wanted to immortalize himself by leaving a legacy that would last forever."

She jolted up from her spot,  leaving Stephen a bit shocked. "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!" she shouted, acting out some lines from the poem. He chuckled and stood from his seat under the shade.

"C'mon, let's go back into town."

---

At the time, Stephen hadn't thought much about the poem. Now, however, he understood. Nothing can last forever.

Edited by Morningstar
  • 3 months later...

The player had halted giving Seul the opportunity to greet him with a wave from atop his perch. A quick slide down the hill was all it took to close distance with the road; dust flying in every direction as he came to a stop beside the stranger. Adjusting his clothing, the wanderer began to speak.

“I like to come here to think too. It’s… Peaceful.”

Part of Seul wished to inquire further but refrained from doing so out of courtesy. It wasn’t often that he spoke with people anymore, so when it did happen making the most out of the experience was to be expected. It also wasn’t like there was anything more pressing to attend to today either. 

The way forward seemed clear. This would be his first step toward becoming a man of the people. Someone who enjoyed a life of fame and heroism rather than infamy.

@Morningstar

A sudden voice interrupted Stephen's rampaging thoughts. He turned his head towards the player. The first thing he noticed was the man's cursor; it was orange. Normally, he'd proceed with caution around a player like that, but this time he saw no threat.

"It is. I usually find myself coming out here when I need a break from things. Something about the quietness helps me reset."

Generally, Stephen would go out a little bit further. Two or three miles away from them (at least he thought it was that far) was a small forest that Lexa once showed him. But, assuming he was around nature of some sort, it didn't matter where he went. Peace would find him one way or another.

Stephen slid his hands into his cloak pockets. Once, he'd thought that the first floor was a nostalgia trap; that he should move on from it and face the future. Now, he thought it might have been okay to stay a little bit longer. Pulling down his hood, he spoke to the man.

"Something on your mind?"

@Seul