[PP-08] <<Monkey King>>

Cordelia yawned as she tugged in the sleeves of her haori.

She was hoping for a lot more. . . excitement regarding this quest, but hey, it still offered some good EXP.

It was just a matter of time before this Monkey King would spawn, and then she was absolutely decimate it!   

Fun.

She was. . . pretty sure she could take it head on. Couldn't be that hard, right? She had a butt ton of evasion on her so what was the problem? . . . Right?

Yeah, she would be fine. Just fine. Though. . . she really hopes that this time, a certain someone won't jump right in the middle of her damn fight and cuss her out later for being too reckless.

Ahem. . . Bahr.

She was still a tad pissed about her last encounter with him but she spared him of her wrath. . . for now. Man just found out this maybe his best friend is dead? Possibly? She'll let him walk it off for a little while longer.

@Mari @NIGHT

Spoiler

LVL: 27 | HP: 540/520 | EN: 54/54 | 12 DMG | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 1 PARA VNM | 2 KEEN | 4 HLY

INVENTORY: 

☆ T1 Katana | Haunted Verdict: [Cursed] 1 HLY, 2 DMG
 T1 Light Armor | Bastille’s Resistance: +2 EVA, +1 PARA VNM
☆ T1 Jewelry | Aura Sensors: +1 EVA, +2 KEEN

BATTLE READY:

[5] Standard Healing Potions [Heals 50 HP]

CONSUMED:

N/A

SKILLS:

☆ R2 Accuracy Familiar Mastery: 2 ACC
☆ Disguise: [Gain +1 EVA until the start of your next turn]
☆ Survival: [Increases out of combat health regeneration to (15 * Tier) per post. Grants immunity to most damage dealing environmental
attacks/effects.]
☆ R1 Curved Sword Skill 
☆ R5 Katana Skill [+7 DMG/+1 BASE]

Mari wanted to stay out of the way of others... Sure Macradon had helped, and she now had a new skill-set. She had posted up her request for new armour on the Player Request board, but did not have high hopes that they would be met. Those that listened to the rumours - would know to avoid 'Mari' those that didn't - wouldn avoid her purely because she was a PKer.

"Tch...f**king hypocrites, the lot of them." She fumed. Half the people who wanted her head were PKers themselves. Justifiying their own actions via 'the greater good' What a load of bullsh*t.

Mari sighed as she opened up her messenger - knowing that the man probably wouldn't reply.

To @Alkor

From Mari

Subject  (none)

I am hanging around the 7th floor - its hot and sticky an smells like ass.

Kinda reminds you of Corvo, right?

With a sigh Mari rested her head against the tree trunk. The woman sat on a low hanging branch with one leg dangling freely below - here she was high enough to avoid the marshy ground, but low enough to see any mobs or players who would pass by.  Why did she even come here in the first place?

STATS
LV 45 | 900HP | 90 Energy

Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
Rank 3 Charge (+3 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)

WEAPON
Name: Kusanagi | Item Type: Dagger | Tier: 2
Enhancements: Bleed II / Damage II (24 DAM 2 Turns on a roll of 8-10)

BATTLE READY
5 Healing Potions (50 HP)

@NIGHT @Cordelia Edited by Mari

To say that NIGHT was ready for the Monkey King was incorrect. Instead, her vendettas drove her here -- if there was one myth she hated, it'd have to be the journey to the west. She wished the media would stop using it for inspiration, and lived in blissful ignorance until today. And so here she was on the 8th floor, ready to sunder one Sun Wukong, even if it meant putting her life on the line for it. 

The place was deserted. NIGHT wondered if Bistro had given her the correct information before she spotted a familiar figure in the distance. Cordelia? Like the sharp tongued girl who was hanging out at the tavern that one time? She bit her lip, wondering if she should approach her, before resolving to do it anyway, grunting repeatedly in various pitches.

When she was close enough, she pulled up a menu instead of saying anything, hoping she wasn't going to be noticed. Wait, was Cordelia always at her level? Maybe she'd been training so much that she'd not noticed her catching up with the expert here. Plus, what bothered her more was the potential that she'd lost somebody, and NIGHT hadn't. Whats up with that discrepancy? Maybe NIGHT was just lucky. Really, really lucky.

At any rate, she cleared her throat, closing the examination window. "Uh hey," she began, faking a pretense of unfamiliarity and a hand outstretched to gesture. "You here for the Monkey King's head too?"

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 25 | HP: 500 | EN: 50 | SP: 76
ACC: 3 | DMG: 14 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 0 | KEEN: 1 | PARALYZE: 2

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 5/5
  2. Heavy Armor | Passive | RANK 1/5
  3. - - -
  4. - - - 

• Survival | Passive 

[Examine]

• Tobi-Kadachi
    -- [ Paralyze II | Natural successful attack rolls of 8-10 remove the enemy’s action on their next turn. Paralyzed opponents lose any evasion properties. ]
    -- [ Keen | After a successful attack, gain +1 BD until your next successful attack, at which point this bonus is removed. Another successful attack will reactivate this enhancement. ]

• Threads of Dexterity
    -- [ Evasion III | +3 EVA ]

• Eye of Horus Enamel Pin
    -- [ Accuracy III | +3 ACC ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.
  • [T1] Uncommon Health Potions (3) --- Heals 40 HP.
  • [T1] Over-health Potion (1) --- Provides 50 temporary HP.

[Misc]

• -- [ Aincrad Trading Post Guild Bonus: Col Deposit | +5% more col from killed mobs, +10% col from treasure chests. ]
    -- [ Familiar Mastery: Fighter | +6 DMG ]
Edited by NIGHT
i cant count

Cordelia huffed tiredly.

Ever since that damn Calming the Soul quest, she’s been doubting everything she’s been doing. 

Literally, everything.

She felt like she couldn’t see Oscar or Bahr or even Yukiro the same anymore. They felt like just bags of flesh she murdered in wherever that quest was.

Cordelia lifted her head as an unfamiliar yet familiar voice addressed her. 

“Uh, yeah,” she murmured, her eyes briefly glossing over. Ah, she remembered this chick someone vaguely. She was at that tavern. . . Hm, she forgot her name, though. She was dead last time she saw her.

Well, “dead” as in dead in her imagination.

Yeah, screw hat stupid quest.

”So you’re here to do it too?” She asked, her thoughts snapping back to reality as she offered her a small and forced smile. 

“Aheh. . . I suppose you’ve caught up to me then,” she mumbled. “Shame.” She sighed, brushing off her lap. Last time she “saw” her, she was pretty much level one. 

Damn, what had she been doing?

Was Cordelia okay? She looked... incredibly out of it. Glossy eyes, distant stare -- name one of the few things that would happen if you were disassociating, and the girl had it, but amplified. NIGHT frowned, tilting her head and humming in agreement at her question. She knew from experience she seemed like... like a stick in the mud. But this nature of hers -- uh, was it always like this? -- felt downright... what's the word...

Ugly? Disrespectable?

She looked up to the sky for some answers for a quick beat, before pulling up the party menu with a, "We should party up then," before sending her an invite. She tried, tried hard not to acknowledge the comment Cordelia had made, as the girl patted down her pants or something. NIGHT continued walking past her to advance on their journey, deciding to herself that maybe, for her own well being, she shouldn't look too hard into the kid's eyes, either. Instead, when Cordelia got close enough to whisper distance during the walk, she asked, "Uh, is everything okay there, miss...? You're looking... a little off."

@Cordelia

“Alright, that’s a good idea I guess,” she hummed, crossing her arms over one another to give the girl a small smile before tapping the accept button. 

Cordelia whistled.

Nothing.

She visibly seethed and whistled again.

After a few seconds of utter silence, Pacco came to absolutely grace her and NIGHT with his presence. Where he was, she didn’t know and to be frank, she didn’t care. As long as he was around to help her in battle, that’s all that mattered. . .

Woah, when did she start thinking like that? She scratched her chin. She has come to a conclusion;

Life sucks. Yep, that’s her answer to all of her problems at the moment.

Cordelia nearly missed NIGHT’s barely above whisper. “Huh, oh, yeah, I’m fine,” she sniffed, her eyes narrowing slightly before she shrugged. “Everything is just dandy.”

”Let’s just go ahead and kill this monkey thing, and then we’ll both go on with our dandy lives,” she huffed, turning her attention back to the clearing of grass and leaves. 

Anytime now. . . 

Cordelia’s eyes scanned up and down the area. Her brows furrowed. “What in the—“ she cut herself off, her eyes narrowing as she spotted the silhouette of a player lurking in the low branches of a tree. 

Well, that’s not suspicious at all.

“Are you here to take his quest, too?” She called, her arms crossing again as she tapped her fingers against the cloth of her haori. She wasn’t sure if she liked this idea or not. . . but if it was anyone dangerous, she’s sure that she could take them on. . ! Or keep them distracted enough for NIGHT to get away.

A whistle, and a crow swooped down from the skies to perch atop Cordelia's frame. So that was Pacco. She wondered if the familiar actually fit her, though. Watching their mannerisms, they seemed to mirror each other's stoicism. Was it for the best?

Well, that wasn't her problem. The more unnerving part of the interaction was when the girl had brushed off her concern with a shrug and a sniff. Oh, and she followed it up with some generic phrase of irritation. That... that was it? NIGHT hadn't even considered that players as closed off or as nonchalant as her would even make it past the first rung of the castle climb, but it seemed like life had different opinions on the matter. "Uh, yeah, sure..." was all she found herself replying, trying to relax in the girl's pressurizing presence.

On up ahead, the forest opened up to a clearing. It seemed apt that they would be fighting the dexterous monkey here. More room to manoeuvre meant a better chance of not getting hit, and NIGHT was certain she really needed that boon in the fight.

“What in the—“

Huh? She turned her head, then caught an orange glimpse amongst the trees. As her partner in crime pointed out to the mysterious person, NIGHT found herself squinting hard, before approaching the figure slowly. Who'd want to hang out around here, anyway?

@Mari

Two players had approached from below.

669741180_Mari2.jpg.d0466372d8940c9e48793cafaefc0b46.jpg"Quest?" Mari tilted her head to the side, a small frown playing on her lips. What quests were on this floor again? It had been so long... Mari opened up her HUD and browsed through the notes she had. Oh, the monkey king...huh....mid tier boss...not a bad start to get back into the swing of battle. 

"No. I wasn't." Mari began as she pushed herself off the branch, landing in front of the two of them. Whilst small, and having been out of battle for years she still had an intimidating presence. Her striking blue gaze stared at the two players before her. One with long white hair, who seemed to be the leader, and another trialing behind. "But I would join you - that is..." Mari paused as she pointed up at her cursor. "If you ignore this. I'd really rather not get into chit - chat about it now, and if one of you has some spare light armour floating around. Mine became....obsolete." She muttered the last words with distaste.

Mari pressed a hand to her chest, "Mari." It was the best form of introduction she could give the two women. Mari didn't outwardly say it but she wasn't exactly keen on socializing right now. Granted... she was trying to branch out and meet new people, but in the middle of a quest? Macradon would probably be cheering for her along the sidelines. Mari sighed as she ran a hand though silken golden bangs. "Mari. My name is Mari." She said again, in an effort to try and be more hospitable. "Who are you? Or shall I call you the Night sky and the moon?" She added with a smirk.  That is what they looked like after all.

Was that really a good thing? It seemed to be in the best interests of everyone...for all three of them to team up.

"Monkey King..." Mari began as she took two steps back, not even bothering to look behind her. Her back hit the tree and Mari shifted to a more comfortable position, leaning against it. "250 HP....50 Mitigation...with 240 per attack. This should be fine. A few rounds at most and it'd be dead. If you give me enough room, I could probably knock off a quarter of its HP with a succesfully charged sword art art...mmm I don't have much boosters on me at the moment..." Mari had already began to try and figure out the best course of action, without properly allowing the other two to have their say. A habbit that she developed when she lead the frontlines.

Mari shook her head. "Ahh... but I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I?"

@Cordelia
@NIGHT

Edited by Mari

Cordelia hummed, raising a brow at the stranger. Fishy, indeed.

She deadpanned. Sometimes, she felt like people were making too much out of a big deal with those orange cursors. . . but hey, whatever floats their boat, she guessed. "I could really care less what you did to get that cursor, nor do I really care about how many people you killed," she said bluntly, a sigh leaving her as she opened her menu. Her fingers danced around her inventory for a short while before she eventually pulled out the first piece of armor she has really ever gotten, besides the starting armor that everyone gets at the beginning of the game.

It didn't really hold much sentimental value, but she was a tad bit sad to see it go.

"Here," she said, holding out the all black coat in front of her. "It may look heavy but it's quite light, I'm sure it'll be easier to evade attacks with it."

Cordelia almost laughed to herself as she introduced herself.

Mari.

She had actually seen that name a couple of times before. . . specifically on the Monument of Life. It had come up more than a few times, really. She'd never thought that she would meet someone with such a high kill count, but hey, screw you too universe!

"Nice to meet you, Mari," she said, her was drawling out just a bit before she beamed. "As much as I'd like to keep an original name like moon, I can't. Feel free to call me Cordelia, though."

Cordelia hummed and tapped her feet against the ground. "This thing isn't going to survive more than two rounds, I assure you," Cordelia mused, a small and dry laugh escaping her as she placed her hands gently over the hilt of her katana.

Cordelia's eyes narrowed as she watched a large arm swing towards NIGHT. 

"Flippin' heck," she muttered, lunging at NIGHT just in time, sending the two tumbling away just as the large hand landed in where they once were, cracks littering where it had impacted the ground. 

"I'll take its attention, just focus on dealing damage to it!" Cordelia said, nodding her head to both Mari and NIGHT before she unsheathed her katana from its scabbard.

With a burst of energy and speed, Cordelia dove after the Monkey King. Man, monkeys were not supposed to be this big, that's for sure. Gripping the hilt of Haunted Verdict with both hands, she lunged it towards the field mob, landing multiple cuts and slices in a span of only a few seconds. 

The monkey howled in fury, winding back its arm to deliver another possibly threatening attack, and only a few moments later did it swing its limb forward. . . almost crazily. Well, that was some neat programming!

Cordelia's glanced at incoming arm from the corner of her eye and inaudibly squeaked, kicking herself backwards just before the hand had smashed in front of her, sending bits of dirt and dust everywhere.

Sent T1 Light Armor | Coat of a Husk: +2 EVA, +1 SAVVY to @Mari
@NIGHT

☆ - ☆

ID: 132346
BD: 7, Hit [+2 ACC next turn]
MD: 5-3=2, Miss

12x15=180-50=130 250-130=120 HP

Cordelia: H: 1 | HP: 540/540 | EN: 40/54 | 12 DMG | 3 ACC | 3 EVA | 1 PARA VNM | 2 KEEN | 4 HLY 
Mari: H: 0 | HP: 900/900 | EN: 90/90
NIGHT: H: 0 HP: 500/500 | EN: 50/50

Monkey King: HP: 120/250 | 50 MIT | 240 DMG -130 HP

When she saw the orange marker... NIGHT flinched. Words of a message long gone by flashed before her eyes.

To: NIGHT

Everyone's got your back here, so never worry!

Except for PKrs. Worry about them a lot.

She'd gotten this close to a PKer.

No, let's not mince words. A murderer.

There was something about the term that didn't quite sit with her. As if it was abandoning all pretense of life before the game began to describe someone who only slayed others in this very specific instance. Questions like if the killing was intended, how harshly they should be punished -- questions like that went to the court. They weren't for her to answer. But meeting the player -- <Mari> -- still left a solid first impression, especially with that solemn attitude afterwards.

She'd panic and draw her sword to defend herself, if Mari didn't seem like she was trying to be accommodating. She had to remember that players like here were still human through and through. Plus, she was sure the slayer would've been able to kill them whenever she wanted to, had they been hostile on contact. NIGHT had given her the opening earlier -- a foolish move by any other day, straying so far from her aid.

It took her a moment to loosen her jaw so she could answer, shooting a tired look over to Cordelia. "NIGHT is fine." And she was glad that her suspicions were verified about Mari's strength, when she started estimating how the fight would go -- on her account.

Instead, Cardinal decided to surprise them today. A hand outreached, slamming the ground upon the cross section where NIGHT and Cordelia found themselves to be. The kid had ducked, grabbing NIGHT and pushing her out of danger, before yelling orders to the party, pulling out her blade.

Uh, NIGHT figured, as she scowled against the floor, shadows masking a foul look. a. I wish that would stop happening to me in general. b. This girl really is all business, isn't she?

A hiss, before the adventurer got up and unsheathed her blade. Perhaps if they'd noticed it spawn, the fight would be a different story. While Cordelia had Wukong's attention, NIGHT charged forth, striking it with a singular slash of her blade. For a moment, she actually believed her sword art could destroy galaxies, as she watched the Monkey King writhe in pain, an unholy screech, before starting to fade away at its extremities.

... Huh?

That's it?

She lowered her sword. I really thought Sun Wukong would put up more a fight. A shrug and a confused look was all she had to offer as she turned around. "So uh... Hi?"

@Mari @Cordelia

ID: 132347 | BD: 9 (6, +3)
<<Galaxy Destroyer>> vs Monkey King.
14 * 13 = 182 DMG | 182 - 50 = 132 DMG
Monkey King... has been defeated? (I guess it has?)

Monkey King | HP: -12/250 (-132) | 50 MIT | 240 DMG 

NIGHT | HP: 500/500 | EN: 37/50 (-13) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 14 | EVA: 3 | PARA: 2 | KEEN: 1

Edited by NIGHT

Mari gave Cordellia a wry smile when she said she couldn't care less about the orange cursor, nor how many people Mari had killed. "I appreciate the sentiment...even if it is a little...macabre  - I am a murderer." Mari shook her head, she knew people like Alkor would hate to hear her say that, but it was true. Even if each life she had taken had been 'justified' taking a life to save several? Taking a life to save the ones you care about? A life was still a life.

Mari took the black cape from Cordelia, and immediately clipped it around her shoulders - her blue eyes narrowed at the other woman as she drawled out the word Mari.  "Yeh. I get the hit Cordelia." Mari replied in turn, drawing out the other woman's name. "I'd rather distance myself from that f**king monument." Mari spat with a tone of bitterness. It was nothing but a reminder of not only her mistakes - but the many that others were still making. There were still people gallivanting around killing others like it was nothing. They weren't thinking of the repercussions.  "Thanks." Mari said to Cordelia, trying to remember her manners.

The other players discomfort did not go unnoticed by Mari but before she could say anything there was a streak of furry white - and the other two players tumbled down - Mari took a step back. The Monkey King reminded Mari of the old Chinese Legend, she didnt know a lot about it - but knew it represented the spirit of rebellion. Which made sense considering its wild moves.  Mari calmly drew out her blade.

The Kusanagi - a weapon that the boss dropped from the 11th floor, the blade a crimson red - and its hilt two black snakes that coiled around each other. It may not be as strong as other weapons, but this item was sentimental to Mari.

It was a shame she was never given the chance to use it.  With just two Sword Arts the Monkey King went down. 

"Hi." Came Mari's response as she reached out to the second girl, and pulled a twig from her hair. "So - I suppose I was pretty close when I called you Night sky, just NIGHT then?"

Mari took a step back and flicked the twig away - "I assume this quest is what brings you two here..." Mari shifted her eyes away. Not sure what else to say. What else was there to say? Exchanging pleasantries didn't really suit Mari all that well, even at the best of times - let alone coming back after nearly two years in isolation.

@NIGHT @Cordelia

"Well, that was a bit anticlimactic," Cordelia remarked, sheathing her katana back in its scabbard as she looked around the quest item that was supposed to drop.

"Aha," she exclaimed under her breath, crouching down to pick up three potions tat lingered on the ground where the boss had died. "Here, there's one for everyone," Cordelia said, tossing each of the girls their own potion.

Cordelia strolled up to the two girls and smiled. "Well, thanks I guess? I mean, we killed the boss faster than I had expected, so that was good. . . didn't think it would be taken down the easily, though," she chuckled, scratching her chin.

She paused.

This was an awkward situation indeed. . . indeed.

Maybe because there was a literal possible murderer among her? Or maybe it was because-- not it was because there was an orange player here. Definitely. 

Gosh, when was the last time she even saw an orange player? It was that Kobold guy, right? Strangely, she didn't remember him being on the Monument of Life. . . maybe he was orange for a different reason. .  ?

Mari was surprisingly bitter -- sharp edges, a lack of a filter. Direct too. NIGHT tensed as the orange player took a step forward to drag a stick out her hair. She shot her an icy cold glare, surprised at her realization internally, that the same words she'd heard from Ceres just felt wrong, dead wrong from when the murderer had said them. It felt like a threat. It felt like she was being psyched out.

NIGHT barely had any time to catch the potion bottle, completely dropping her alert pretense when she'd heard Cordelia toss it over to her. Reaching out for it, she fumbled, trying to catch the item as it bounced between her palms. A hiss, when she'd finally made contact with it and returned it to her inventory. The adventurer shot a drained look at the girl for a moment, wondering how she'd adapt to her behavior if NIGHT would encounter her in the future.

Then, she looked over to the two other players with a fresh exhale. What was there to say?

There were actually several questions that burned in NIGHT's mind, though she wondered if Mari would even humor them for her. Trying to be curt, she looked at the PK-er, folding her arms. "So, out of curiosity. Why're you here out of all the other places in the castle? Surely with the information you had on hand, you should've known that the Monkey King resides where we are now."

"And," she added, a hitch in her breath, stepping closer to Cordelia's side. "If you're a murderer as your indicator suggests... what type of players do you go after?"

@Mari

Mari caught the potion Cordelia had thrown her. "I don't really deserve this. I didn't do anything." Still Mari threw it in the air a few times, catching it in her hand - assessing it before it disappeared into her inventory. "Still. Thanks. That was... Terribly boring. Then again this is only the seventh floor.

Mari snorted when Night asked her first question. "Haven't you ever heard the phrase curiosity killed the cat?" Mari shook her head. "Word to the wise. This world is filled with trash who will betray you the moment you show weakness. The moment you turn your back." Mari snapped her fingers in front of Night. Her voice burned with first hand experience, her tone warning. "Snap - and that's it. Greed takes over."

is this really how I want to be perceived?

Mari took a deep breath and sighed as she held the bridge of her nose between her thumb and forefinger. "Sorry. I'm...jaded. I wasn't doing anything. I just...find it easier to stay away from others. My presence isn't exactly a welcomed one." The woman said as she turned her back on the two. The trepidation Night showed did not go unnoticed by Mari.

"Murderer....hmmm..." Mari turned her gaze away from Night. "I haven't gone after anyone for years. There are many tales about "The Pink PKer...but often times, things are largely eggagerated..." 

Mari took a step away from the two and in a few motions hauled herself back onto a low hanging branch so she could sit comfortably on a hard surface, rather than trapse around in murky marshes. 

Leaning her head on the trunk Mari tilted it towards the two girls. Blue eyes watching them, as though she were sizing them up. But all Mari saw before her were two players, friends perhaps? On an adventure. Nothing more, nothing less.

"You know I heard a rumour I went on a murderous rampage and killed hundreds?" A bitter ha burst from her lips. "What a f**king joke...most of those names on the monument...they were threatening many lives. Some...were in self defence. Does that justify my actions? No." Mari shifted her head to stare in front of her.

"I should really be locked up, don't ya think?"

@Cordelia

@NIGHT

Cordelia gave NIGHT a sideways glance. She wasn't sure if stupid was the best word to describe her. . . more like dangerously curious? Her eyes flickered to Mari for a brief second. As much as she would like to believe that she was dangerous at the moment, she really couldn't. 

Cordelia hummed, crossing her hands. "That sounds stupid," she retorted, "your name was only up on the wall like, eight times. People are so stupid," she muttered, massaging her temples. "If they just, y'know, looked, there wouldn't be any need for this kind of [doo-doo]." 

She shrugged. "I personally have no say in the matter," she uttered. "Though, if you ever harm anyone who is close to me, I won't hesitate to rip you from limb to limb," she said lowly, her eyes narrowing for a brief second before she offered her a small smile. 

"But I doubt that would ever happen as long as you stay on your toes."

"I'm sorry, what? Eight times?"

Perhaps NIGHT was the only player in Aincrad who'd never even approached the memorial. There was little to no need for her to do so, anyway; everyday life kept her busy, and she was starting to realize how incredibly fortunate she had been for the past two years. No one she'd met had been mercilessly killed off.

In fact, she was the only one who'd remembered even making a trip out of town.

Mari's cutting jib was easy to see -- jaded, she'd said, with irritation and exhaustion. Then she'd retreat to the branches up above, musing on NIGHT's very own question. Funny. A PK-er turning her back on the very kind of people she might kill. The adventurer counted out on her fingers. Eight lives, then, Cordelia had meant.

Shouldn't... shouldn't this woman be in jail?

As NIGHT approached the tree again, locking eyes with Mari, she folded her arms, looking up in tense thought and wonder. Who were those people she'd killed, and why? The killer's words seemed to burn bright with justice and indignation, but being the only author of their stories here, it was hard for the player take her at her word.

"I should really be locked up, don't ya think?"

F**king smartass.

And it's not like Cordelia's comments helped either. Threatening someone of Mari's esteem sounded like a death sentence to NIGHT. The latter was still grappling with the idea of having eight lives forcibly removed from the face of the earth, let alone Aincrad. Eight whole people, guys. Eight.

She shot Cordelia a nervous, frustrated glance, not certain in their capability for actions here. Sure, righting wrongs was one thing that was up her alley, but this just felt too out of her depth this time. She didn't even know of the serial killer. What's she got to go on?

So instead, like any curious soul, the player asked as such, coming off as an absolute fool to anybody else looking in.

"What'd they do to deserve death?"

@Mari

"Cordellia, was it?" Mari asked. The woman didn't wait for an answer, she knew she was right. "I'm not meaning to offend you - but what you said is pretty stupid. 8 people still counts as mass murder - they were all living, breathing human beings whose lives should not have been taken. Your threat? Could you really live with the knowledge that you literally murdered someone? Would you be willing to be locked away in jail when we are released from this game? I for one am willing and will turn myself into the authorities after all this is over - would you? Would you own up to the sins you so easily claim you'd commit?" Mari turned her gaze to the white haired woman. "If not, then don't make such stupid threats. You are tellin' me to stay on my toes?" Mari gave an exasperated sigh. "Girl- don't go around threatening people, PK or otherwise - it's not gonna help you." It was meant to be a genuine warning, but Mari wasn't sure if it came off that way, or if it came off as condescending. The orange haired woman really did mean well... she just grew frustrated with how easily people threw around 'I'll kill you' in a game where death was literally everywhere. Mari mumbled something about kids being foolish under her breath.

"I don't plan on harming anyone. I never had."

It was then that NIGHT had asked another question, seemingly innocent - but it cut the woman. Deep.

"What indeed...." Mari said as she shifted her eyes upward. "Some were torturing kids - one quite literally begged me for death because he had a bounty and was being chased by a large guild... Others wouldn't stop fighting or killing. The phrase what is one life compared to that of many comes to mind..." Mari turned her gaze back to the two who stood below her.

"You know that ethics question  ...how there is a runaway train on the tacks - ahead on the tracks there are five people tied up and unable to move. The train is headed straight for them. But you can save them by pulling a lever...but if you do it'll veer to the other side of the tracks - where there is one person tied up and unable to move. So...what do you do? Do you intervene and save the lives of many - or kill someone by your own actions knowing that human life is something that you took. You killed that person..."

Mari bought one knee up to her chest, leaving the other to dangle down. "What if that one other was your child? What if you pulled the wrong lever?" Her voice trailed off. She really didn't feel like reliving every death- every face of anger - or fear. She had those constantly pop up in her nightmares.

"You ask if they deserve it? Every person will tell you a different answer - mine is - no - despite their horrendous actions, no one deserves to be slaughtered here."

@NIGHT @Cordelia

"Mass murder or not, I don't see why it would [no-no word]-ing matter now. I could literally give two literal [no-no word] about how many damn people you've killed. You could've killed half of the damn population and I still wouldn't care!" She exclaimed, tucking her hands into her pockets. "If it doesn't affect me in any way then I could seriously not care how many people you've slain."

Cordelia scoffed, seeing that talking to her wasn't going to get anywhere.

"If murdering is the only way to solve the situation, then so be it," she muttered, patting down her lap. "The world has already gone to [doo-doo]. so what's the point of adding another screw up to it," she sighed, clicking her tongue before she shrugged.

"This conversation is going to [doo doo], so I'll see myself out before things get too heated," she murmured, turning her heel to face the other direction before she started walking away.

She paused, inhaling for a brief second before she gave the two of them a small glance. "Even if I do deserve a sentence in the real world, it won't matter," she said, her eyes glossing over briefly before she turned her head away. "I don't plan on staying alive for when we get out."

"See you two later, I guess," she mumbled, giving them a backhand wave before she darted off.

☆ Cordelia leaves the thread

NIGHT learned a few things at once, one of them being the idea that PK-ers would end up having to turn themselves into the authorities for murder. Was that how it worked? She looked over to Cordelia, watching her get chewed out by Mari -- feeling like she should say something, but the outlaw's words were exactly what she'd thought earlier. How strange, NIGHT mused, for someone like her to continue to live and abide by the same social norms and ideologies she'd grown up with. She'd imagined outcasts like the pink slayer would've changed her outlook otherwise.

When Mari decided to answer her question -- humor the novice, the adventurer found herself taking notes. They were -- depicted -- as morally grey scenarios, some much sharper in contrast to others, and NIGHT closed her eyes, trying to recall if any of those stories had reached her in the past. None came to mind.

The slayer had posed it as an inveritable trolley problem. For some she'd understood. Others... not so much. "It just sounds like you're metting out justice by your own hands," she'd said, after silent contemplation. "And by a system's rigid rules, it'll just build up to tragedy."

Who's to say, by their own moral code, that one should live and another should pass on? A dilemma mused upon by the philosophers of ages. That's why, in their modern era, they'd built up court systems to judge and weigh the potential of someone's sins. It would be a collective decision, then, and Aincrad still had a long way to go, in its anarchical landscape.

"By that theory, it'd be no small wonder you'd find yourself here." NIGHT set her hand to her side, leaning on one foot. "But I still can't take you at your word. I do hope you'd forgive me."

Then Cordelia spoke, and NIGHT swore the white-haired girl was the most morbid creature she'd ever met. At least the player killer amongst them was cordial enough to feign remorse, if not shown it truthfully, but here she was not giving two flying f**ks about who lives nor who dies. An unrelenting deep groan from her, in annoyance and confusion. Suicidal, she'd declared, that's what the girl was, with her actions and her words said today. It felt hard to believe, given her track record of being-out-of-it today.

As the player left them, heading down the dirt path back home, NIGHT was inclined to follow -- if only to isolate herself from this mess of a day. "You know, if it makes you feel any better," she shot a blank look up to Mari, "I don't know her, and something tells me I probably don't want to know what her deal is, either."

With a wave, NIGHT started her own trek back to town, wishing against her wills for them to have... "Good luck". Whatever that means for a player killer.

@Mari

Mari should have been nicer with her words, she should have been more delicate because boy howdy the white haired lass took it and ran with it. She exploded in a tirade of bitter and angry swears (which to be fair, Mari had also done minutes prior) about how it didn't matter how many people Mari killed. She didn't care because it didn't affect her. "Err..." Mari shifted her glance away. "How morbidly comforting." And it was, in its own odd way - comforting to Mari. To know that some people out there really didn't care about the past and just took interactions and people at face value. People who didn't give in to the rumors. People who wouldn't let others sway their own judgement till they experienced it first hand. Frustrating, but Cordelia at least had those good traits, it was important to be able to be partial like that. 

"It worries me..." Mari said as she watched Cordelia walk away, saying she never planned on staying alive when they got out. "To hear those words. Granted, I've often felt the same- but you two....you're kids." Mari shook her head. She really shouldn't have been so harsh.

"Justice by my own hands..." Mari sighed at Night's statement. A hand lifted to brush her fringe up and out of her face, only for it to fall straight back down into her blue eyes. "Never wanted to do that - it's hard...emotions get the best of us sometimes, but here, being emotional can be really dangerous. It's much easier to die here than it is in the real world. I find myself here through trials and errors, and I am not without fault by any means. The crystal above my head the very symbol of that..." Mari trailed off. "It's fine for you to not take my word - It's a smart move. Can't forgive you when there's nothing to forgive now, can I?" Mari gave Night a wry grin. "Unlike your previous bold questions."

Mari glanced up at the trial that Cordelia had taken back toward the safe zone. "I didn't mean to upset your friend by the way - I know I'm a f**king hypocrite but I really can't stand it when people dismiss life like that. " Mari was taken aback by the blank stare Night gave her, followed by the deadpan admission that she didn't know the blonde. Odd - did all three of them just happen upon each other and easily be able to take this quest? What an unusually convenient happenstance.  "Don't look at her words too harshly kid, sometimes we do and say stupid sh*t to deal with things. Maybe that's her way of dealing with everything."

Night too, turned to leave Mari - wishing her luck. "Same to you."  Mari replied, after all - isn't that what they all needed? Luck.

@Cordelia @NIGHT