[NLY-PP-F11] You're not alone

300?cb=20180413150813The man strode with purpose, but his face remained bereft of emotion. What was it he was thinking? Father Wuoton couldn't begin to guess as he watched the player draw closer to the gate. The bearded man knew quite a bit, but there was much that still remained a mystery. How Alkor might react to his proposal was one of those things. Still, he had to ask. Perhaps his brand of magic might improve the man's situation, even if only a bit. And wasn't that what this time of year was all about?

"Excuse me," Father Wuotan began, stepping from the shadows and into Alkor's path. "I apologize for my tardiness, but I was... unwilling to interrupt." He motioned toward where Alkor had just come. His long robe swirled about his feet as he studied Alkor more closely."This may be bad timing, but I feel I should offer my aid regardless. Is there anything that I might do to help you in your quest?"

@Alkor

He stopped short of entry to the town, barred by none other than Father Wuotan. Alkor half expected the man to skip over him after the apparent lack of joy that his conversation had thrust upon him, but the kindly man appeared before him nonetheless. Alkor managed to smile at that fact.

"I can understand that," his voice softened and grew quiet. It hurt, in reality, that he couldn't do more for someone or offer a shoulder that they could cry on. Mari had decided she wanted what she wanted, and what she wanted, Alkor could not give. Christmas miracles weren't always possible, it turned out.

What it appeared was possible, however, was the kindness of the man before him. "I appreciate the gesture, Father," Alkor said with a bit more confidence in his voice, "and I need to get stronger. I've just started to learn the Curved Sword, and while I'm gaining some skill with the weapon, I find I don't exactly have a blade that can really do the damage I'd like to be dealing. Is that something you could help with?"

He opened both palms and turned them upward, offering the man a display of helplessness. "I'll totally understand if not, of course."

@Father Wuotan

300?cb=20180413150813"Hmm." He hummed in thought, studying Alkor for another moment before responding. He'd taken a moment to collect his thoughts, and organize them in a way that would inspire, rather than discourage. It was a delicate balancing act, but perhaps this man was the sort who could handle the critique. "Strength has always been your main motivation, has it not?" The Father's head tilted, the bell braided into his snow-white beard jingling faintly. "You must be strong enough to climb the floors, and come out the other side." Knowing twinkled in his dark eyes as he added, "I suspect you've someone waiting for you there?"

He reached into his cloak, and drew from it a sheathed weapon. It was wrapped in black cloth, but the shape of the curved sword was unmistakable. "The new year approaches," he told Alkor. "Perhaps you might undergo a transformation as well? Do not neglect those who are present while you seek those who are not." Were Alkor to accept the quest that materialized in his vision, the Father Wuotan would disappear, leaving the sword in his wake.

Quest

You know what it is to be alone.
Learn what you are capable of with others.

X

Spoiler

Upon acceptance of the quest, which immediately disappears from the log, Alkor receives the following:
Demonic Curved Sword: Cursed / Damage / Damage/ Blight
(Name, description, and flavor text may be added as you deem fit. Please link back to this post for your records.)

@Alkor

Alkor saw the quest appear, and watched the man hold out the unmistakeable shape of a curved sword. He stared at one, then the other blankly for a moment and finally let his eyes rest on Father Wuotan. The quest- the system itself had sent a reprieve for him, and whispered of his greatest weakness to him. No one else could see, but he was laid completely bare.

Alkor took on a grave expression as he considered those words for a time. "Learn what you are capable of with others." He could not begin to comprehend the entirety of what it meant, but he understood that the NPC was prompting him to go outside of his comfort zone. He knew it meant to meet new people, and perhaps even try to understand them. He knew that, and yet, there was so much he did not know.

But now, fear wouldn't stop him.

He flipped the o with his fingers and accepted the quest without a word. The item appeared in his inventory and he looked it over: a Demonic quality weapon. Stronger than anything he had ever held in Aincrad, and promising intensity in combat to whoever wielded it.

He opened his menu and toggled the weapon, which appeared in his waiting grasp. The blade was a sleek, green and black metallic color that shone faintly in the sunlight. "Banesteel," he uttered the name, listening to the sound of it. The words responded to his speaking them, and the name appeared on the description of the item.

Alkor gave Father Wuotan a respectful bow. "Thank you," he told the ancient entity. "Thank you very much.

Alkor received [Banesteel] 

T2 Demonic [Cursed | DMG | DMG | Blight]

"Some men wield blades to be heroes, others are more pragmatic."

• 2 weeks later...

300?cb=20180413150813"Well now." Father Wuotan stood behind Mari, his hands on his hips, a frown creasing his chapped lips. His bushy eyebrows knitted in concern as he studied the lump of snow. "It appears that your snow man has seen better days." 

The man moved to Mari's side, lowering his large frame to the ground beside her with a soft groan. "Suppose I can say the same about myself," he stated conversationally, the hint of a smile flickering across his leathery face. But those gray eyes remained distant, and a little sad. He took a moment to smooth his long robes, then gazed out over the sprawling landscape. "You have a nice spot here," Father Wuotan mused. "Very peaceful."

Finally, he turned his gaze on the redhead. "If you will allow me to be frank," he began, "it looks as though you've seen better days as well. Is there something I might do for you to aid in your journey?"

@Mari

Mari wiped the tears from her eyes. Seeing the tall looming figure of the man approach. In all honesty... Mari had forgotten about him. His voice was grizzly, and wise. It held an unmistakable warmth that caused more salty tears to trickle down her cheeks. She was hurting so much right now - and she was doing all she could to hold it together. Her blue eyes shifted to the lump of snow in front of her and her shaky hands reached out to it to gently try and pat the snow into more of a circular shape.

"I...N-never got to build one before." Mari said softly. "I w-was hoping to build one with him but I ah...." Mari shook her head and tried to laugh, but it came out broken and pained. Her movements stilled like a deer in headlights as the old man lowered himself down beside her. Gods Even his presence extruded warmth. Mari felt like she was sitting next to a roaring fireplace.

Her eyes shut closed as she drew her hands back to her body. "What I want.... I know you couldn't give..." She said softly. "I want this pain to go away...I want to have a green crystal and work towards giving others the lives they lost outside... I...I want my daughter back..." Mari shook her head and sighed. She wouldn't normally be so....open with her words. Especially with a stranger, but something about the old man, this loving and kind NPC. A sagely being who extruded a warmth she so desperately sought... something about this particular NPC just coaxed it all out of her.

Mari's eyes opened and they stared off into the distance, into the direction that Alkor went. She wanted to follow. To assure him things would be ok, even if she wasn't sure she could believe those words. She wanted to bring back his smile, but those things were intangible and selfish. He was alive. That alone should be enough for her, and in time...it would be.

"I want to be stronger." Mari finally said. "I know its intangible, and may be impossible - but I just want to be stronger...so I can do all those things, not via magic or Christmas miracles but with my own determination." Mari gave a feeble laugh as she tried to wipe her wet face. "That or a warm hug... I could really use one of those..."

@Father Wuotan

Edited by Mari

300?cb=20180413150813The bearded man nodded as Mari spoke. The intense emotions that rolled from her were staggering, but Father Wuotan did not pull away. Instead, he listened patiently, uttering a soft sigh when she finally fell silent. "I am terribly sorry, Mari," he began, the use of her name intentional. "Bringing your daughter back is out of my control. The remainder of your request, however, is entirely attainable."

He leaned back on his elbows, gaze moving from the player to the gray sky overhead. Snowflakes fell in slow motion, coming to settle silently atop both of them. "You are something of a paradox," he commented suddenly. "You exiled yourself for years, insisting on living alone, yet you depend so heavily on others. You have tremendous inner strength, but you measure your worth by the actions and opinions of your peers."

His tone darkened as he said, "You have done terrible things, I cannot deny that. But it is time for you to stop using your orange cursor as a crutch. You say you want to be stronger? You may be capable of that, and so, so much more. But only you can determine what you're made of."

His arm came around her shoulders, and a new quest appeared in her HUD. Even once he disappeared, crumbling into swirling snow, the warmth remained.

Quest

Learn your worth.

X

Spoiler

Upon acceptance of the quest, which immediately disappears from the log, Mari receives the following:
5 SP
(Please link back to this post for your records.)

@Mari

Edited by Father Wuotan

"I know..." Mari whispered as she turned her gaze to the town below. "I...know..." She repeated softly. Her desires were emotionally charged outbursts. Wishing that the impossible were possible. Mari wasn't sure what he meant by telling her the remainder of her request was attainable - Mari doubted there was much he could give her.

But his next words shocked her. There was a instant of blazing hot anger fueled by her pain and heartache that made her want to dropkick him, But it quickly, very quickly melted away. He had apologized, using her name. His tired and wise voice nothing but sincere. His words rang true - Mari knew this. She knew she relied heavily on others. Was it so wrong to seek the comfort of another? To experience so much love that you wanted to share it? He spoke of her tremendous inner strength, and Mari had to doubt him - as much as she wanted to believe him. She wasn't like others.

"I...don't know..." Mari mumbled. "I..I keep trying...I keep trying to stand up on my own...but w-whenever I do something knocks me down...so I keep trying again but it just-" Mari drew in a sharp breath as she felt a large arm wrap around her. His presence somehow dried her clothes, and warmth leached into her body. When was the last time she felt this comfort and warmth? Mari's entire form leaned against Father Wuotans' side. She shut her eyes and her tense, shivering form relaxed. 

Things had been...terrible for Mari...but maybe he was right. Because despite how bad they were...she had continued to get back up. Again and again...that meant something, right? Mari's eyes fluttered open when she saw the quest Lean Your Worth she reached out and clicked accept. She wasn't sure what it was. But...it was something.

@Father Wuotan