[PP-NLY-F11] Christmas Cheer [Lessa]

Hikoru sat down on a park bench nearby the event. It had definitely been a good time thus far. He had watched his workers fool around and attempt the discus throws. Most getting col, but a few getting on the higher end. A bet had been started between the IBS to see who could get the highest score. The winner would get a week of vacation away from the IBS at the Guild Getaway house they had bought on one of the more peaceful floors. This made a lot of them competitive, and he watched with a small twinkle in his eye, happy to see them having fun. After awhile he decided to leave them be, as he would be kept in the loop. It was the great thing of working with Information Brokers, they were great at communication

He watched the snow fall gently onto the ground and onto his cloak. It was drawn back and worn more as a cape than anything, but he was still feeling alone. It had been a long, long few weeks. He was tired of searching for Kit, along with being hopeful with Vale and wondering how Ariel was doing. Every one of them went off the grid, all soon after he had started to love them or even propose to them. It hurt to be alone. His head hung a little low as he stared into his cocoa. Was it something he did? Did he do something wrong? He didn't understand, and it only frustrated him, wishing he could change the outcome of everything.

@Lessa

The constant crunch, crunch, crunch of snow underfoot accompanied Lessa as she drew nearer to the festival. Her heavy cloak billowed wonderfully as she strode with purpose, and that simple fact thrilled her. In her humble opinion, it was impossible to rock a flowing cape without feeling like an absolute badass. Darth Vadar? Doctor Strange? Batman? All awesome, all capes. Or cloaks. Whatever, they looked like powerhouses. And so did she. She felt like one, too.

Her time in Aincrad had been largely unpleasant, and she'd come to accept that as her new reality. Having steeled herself for many more years of disappointment and loneliness, the sudden change was as jarring as a dip in frozen water. It brought about the same shivers too. The same feeling of numbness, of lightheadness, of shortness of breath. But this wasn't Hypothermia. This was... something else. Lessa still didn't have a name for it, but it made her happy. For that reason alone, she wouldn't question it.

The woman nearly power-walked right by the man on the bench, but at the last moment, she noticed his hunched frame. A fine layer of snow, shimmering like diamonds beneath the festive lights, dusted his cloak. He hadn't moved as she'd walked right by him. Was he ignoring her? Or was he so lost in his thoughts that he wasn't even aware of her presence? She know what it was to be a million miles away.

"Uh, hey," she muttered. "Are you alright?"

@Hikoru

Hikoru's mind slowly went to multiple thoughts all at once. He thought of all of his past experiences, all of his past loves and his past turmoils, and it always seemed to dip towards him. He attempted to open up, fall in love, and then they would disappear, or do something that would gravely injure him. He didn't want to stay closed off, he didn't want to be the "Master of Shadows." That he had played himself to be, but some days it was far easier than being open with how he felt, and it made the pain he felt far less than if he opened up to a person.

He was brought back to reality by the voice of someone nearby. He looked up to see a figure asking if he was alright. His steely eyes made contact beneath his cloak, and he recognized the lady at hand. It was Lessa, a woman he had seen a few times in his adventures in Aincrad. He hadn't gotten to know her well, only seeing bits and pieces of her, but she always remained a mystery. At least, from what he read on her files at the IBS. Not a lot of information on the lady, but that didn't bother him.

"Uh... Yeah, I suppose." he spoke, leaning back and resting on the bench, holding the cup of hot cocoa in his hands. "Just, nights like these tend to make me remember a lot... both good and bad." He chuckled quietly. "Sorry, I zoned out really bad there." He took a sip of his cocoa and quietly sat, staring at the ground still, not entirely sure if eye contact was the right thing to do in this sort of situation. He enjoyed the small breeze and the snow that landed around him. Although it was cold, it felt like home to him. And for that, he couldn't complain much.

Lessa studied the man for a moment, saying nothing. It wasn't pure silence that surrounded them, considering the joyous sounds drifting from the festival. There was music, laughter, even voices raised in song. Not to mention the faint jingle of bells that seemed to lie just below the surface. It was all so merry, so welcoming. Yet this man seemed wrapped in his own quiet misery, as thick as the cloak around his shoulders. "Do you mind if I sit?" Without waiting for a response, she did so.

"It's a nice night," she mused, crossing her legs, and resting her clasped hands on her knee. He was averting his gaze, likely intentionally, so she would do the same. Besides, there was plenty to look at other than the man seated beside her. "It helps to focus on that, when the memories get to be a little too much." Lessa's voice came gently, as light as the snowflakes that settled atop both of them. Even though the words she spoke carried weight, their delivery remained soothing. "Remembering how nice things are now, even if they were better once."

She tipped her face to the heavens, letting her eyes close as the flakes dampened her skin. "It's easy to get lost in the past. I've spent a lot of time there, and it hasn't done me any favors. I don't really have any advice for you, other than to take comfort in knowing you're not alone. There's at least two of us."

She opened one blue eye and cast him a side-ways glance. "I believe we've met," she mused. "Or, at least, you look very familiar."

The sounds of the night filled the atmosphere of silence like clouds in the sky. Above them and easily heard, but didn't seem to change the way that the moment felt. It was Hikoru's doing, as his thoughts emanated from him like a deep fog. His mind kept going back to the moments at hand, and he had almost completely zoned out again, when the woman, Lessa, asked to sit. Without a word or even looking at her, he came from his own thoughts and scooted over, as to give her room to sit where it wasn't covered in snow. The snow that had been collecting on the top of his head falling to the side, but the falling flakes went back to the spot, starting the process over again. Soon a white film was atop his head again as he quietly listened to the woman's words.

"Yeah.... I suppose it is." he spoke softly, looking at the sky for the first time. The glow of the festival giving the dark sky vibrancy. While it was no northern lights, the glow made the snow seem to dance in the sky. Lessa spoke of him not being alone, and he sighed quietly. He tended to forget that he was not the only one with burdens on his shoulders. They had been trapped in this game for what felt like years, but he had no way of telling how long it had really been. He just nodded quietly. "Well, I suppose we'll have to make a time to reminisce with some tea and biscuits." he spoke, a light chuckle coming from his throat. He attempted a hint of humor to lighten the mood.

He felt her gaze fall on him, and she spoke that he looked familiar. Slowly, Hikoru lowered his hood and revealed his raven-colored hair, disheveled from the cloak and his goggles shining within the light. His gray eyes gazed to her. "We've spoken very few times. I'm Hikoru, and you are Lessa, if I remember correctly." he spoke. "Sorry if that's weird, but it's an info broker's job to know people and what they do." He spoke, and took a sip of cocoa, the snow now falling onto his goggles and hair.

He set the cup down, not half empty and leaned back quietly, staring at the sky. "Can I ask a question, and be honest..." he spoke, and continued to speak. "Do I... come off as unattractive? or scary?..." he spoke, his eyes staring back into his memories, which now emanated within the clouds above, showing pictures of all the times he had been happy within this game.

• 2 weeks later...

His tea and biscuits comment elicited a soft chuckle from her. Had she not heard him deliver it, and if the situation had lacked context, the line would have likely come across as sarcastic and hurtful. But even after years as a hermit, Lessa still knew enough about people to recognize pain when she saw it. So she accepted the statement for its intended purpose, an attempted joke, and moved on.

"Then it seems you have me at a disadvantage," she countered, foot bouncing lightly as she continued to stare at the night sky. "You know me, and what I do, but all I have is your name." Lessa gave a small shrug, her broad shoulders shifting only slightly beneath her thick cloak. "But that's alright. There aren't too many people in this game who I truly know all that well. Kind of interesting, when you think about it, considering that I used to be so good at 'people.'"

She could no longer feel the man's gaze on her, but she turned her head the slightest bit to double check. Once she was confident he was lost in memory, she gave a soft hum of thought and returned to the twinkling stars. "You know," she began slowly, selecting each word with care, "someone doesn't ask a question like that unless he's already seeing himself as unattractive, or scary. Or, at the very least, genuinely concerned about it." She blew out a long breath through her nose, watching the steam climb as she stated, "No, you are neither unattractive, nor scary. Has someone else given you the impression that you are?"

Hikoru shrugged at the comment about having the upper hand. While yes it did seem a bit unfair, he had made it so people don't know a lot about him. Being in charge of the info brokers has its advantages and disadvantages. One of them is being able to be in stealth without having to use the actual skill. He was like a ghost to most players. It's like he doesn't exist, and he doesn't mind that. Some days like today he would go out in public and just be another bystander, but on the frontlines people knew who he was. And that's all he really needed.

"Nobody truly knows about me, and I like it that way. Ask the frontlines if you have questions." He spoke, taking his cocoa and holding it in his hands to warm them up. It was getting colder, but it was only his hands and his face that were cold. He heard her hum something, and he was brought back to reality from where he was in his memories. He listened in on what she spoke, and he just shook his head quietly.

"Well good, I thought I was..." He spoke, his eyes drifting in the night sky like a shooting star, memories flashing by and leaving. "Well, you see, when not one, not two, but three women, all whom you loved, betray you or leave you, it makes you start to wonder if it's your fault." He spoke quietly. He held back tears at the thoughts. "I don't know anyone I can blame but myself, and that makes it all the more difficult this time of the year to truly enjoy the festivities as I used to." He stopped gazing and returned to earth, looking at the ground. "This used to be my favorite holiday, but this year... I don't feel any joy as I used to."

2058045280_Souwong_28Older29.png.12dc38cec3472b91015ab77bf653927d.pngSo this is the man who started a great mission, It seems like his mission is still going on but he has left a part of his soul behind to get here. Yet he does not give up, a Pacifist who wishes not to fight other people at all. Looking at two sides and even judging people for who they are. And then there was the lovely Lessa, ooh yeah, She has been into something as well. Both are very strong indeed, but He was not here for her now, he was here to heal a broken soul. Without any warning or saying a small cold breeze went past both the players and before they could think about it a voice spoke out.

"A little bird once told me, that you don't always get all the information you want. People do things because they do it, you have just been at the wrong place and the wrong time for those people," Wuotan said as he walked up to them appear out of nowhere, he didn't even get noticed by Hikoru who would have guessed. "For a master of info brokers, and one who should know a lot you seem to miss the information about people and their actions, but no worry, I myself will never understand how you humans work," He said with a smile to Hikoru as he went on and spoke more, "On other notes, its not your fault that people leave you. they had their own agenda and went with that. You have a piece of bad luck in finding the people who love you leave for important things, But they will return as memories. Happy once, Once you love, they always be there even if you feel betrayed. But now then, If there is anything this old man can do to heal your broken heart I would love to, there are many people out there that admire you," He said to him with a smile and waited for him to think of a gift.

@Hikoru

"Ah," came Lessa's simple acknowledgement. She ducked her chin, a curt nod to show she understood exactly what Hikoru was saying. "If it's any consolation," she began slowly, turning to glance at the cloaked man, "I understand. And I'm not just saying that to comfort you. I really, truly know how you're feeling. I've been in your shoes." Her smile was faintly sympathetic as memories clashed in her mind, and emotion warred across her face. "I was only ditched by two guys though. One pretended to be dead so he didn't have to associate with me, and the other one actually killed himself." Lessa lifted a single gloved finger in the air. "And to top it all off, they were both hooked on the same woman, who was most certainly not me."

The delivery had been a bit more casual than necessary, and Lessa wasn't typically one to make light of her own troubled past. Those memories still left her feeling a bit hollow, despite the innumerable positives in her life currently. Especially that really big positive, who wore a red coat and always seemed to be falling over.

But Hikoru's pain was evident, and if their shared experiences could bring him some comfort, it was worth momentarily reliving those years.

A sudden voice startled her, but realization quickly dawned when she spotted his long white robes. "Good to see you again, Father," she greeted warmly, when the man had finally stopped speaking.

Hikoru nodded quietly as Lessa spoke, and he let out a small sigh. He knew that he wasn't the only one who suffered in this game, but he always forgot that there were others in similar shoes as him, in the same mindset. Even though they may not speak, their pains he knew well and their pains he could never forget. He opened his mouth to speak, when a voice, strong and yet peaceful, spoke from nowhere. Hikoru jumped up from his past experience with voices that appear from nowhere. He wanted to be safe. But the man he saw was of old age, and seemed like a fatherly figure by how he stood and spoke. He hit Hikoru in the heart, and he felt a tear form and scroll down his cheek. Lessa seemed to know him and spoke quietly, saying hello.

"I... I have no words to argue." He spoke, almost ashamed. "You're right, I've never been able to understand, and maybe I never will..." He spoke, avoiding eye contact with the both of them. "My luck used to be well in the game's mechanics, being able to find weak points and using them to my advantage, it's why people came to me about quests and why I became an info broker, so players could fight and defeat bosses by using their weaknesses." He said, and wiped away the tear he had almost forgotten about. "But, my luck is not the best with players. They are not code, they change. They evolve, they become better and stronger with each passing hour. I always feel stagnant, I always feel that friends have caught up, or are moving forward without me." He said, and looked the father in the eyes. "But then, I remember of friends that have passed on, whom I have surpassed and become stronger than, and I remember that I too have changed, even without noticing. I have become a man, a person whom people lean on and trust in battle, and with hardships." He thought for a moment, and realized what he wanted

"There was a pendant, one that an old friend owned before he passed. Do you think you have one like it?" He spoke. "It was an item I had wanted for a long time, and now, it can be used for the memory of them, to take it and make it through this game." He spoke, remembering Ssendom and Zelrius well. "The emblem I wear symbolizes my three friends who I lost that were dear to me. Lowenthal, Beatbox, and Azide. With this item, I can add two others whose names I will carry through this game until the end of it, or until the end of me." he spoke, happy with the decision he made.

• 2 weeks later...

Father Wuotan nodded in acknowledgement to Lessa, a player he already tended to earlier in the day, giving her a warm smile before turning to Hikoru.

At the moment, the Old NPC thought that this player was making a request to revive an old friend of theirs, which wouldn't really be out of the question considering that plenty of players had requested something along the lines of that today, although he was never able to grant any of those wishes. 

Father Wuotan nodded his head, understanding what the player had wanted after his explanation. "Of course, it would be my pleasure to grant a wish that would mean so much to a person," he said warmly, his hand reaching into his coat as he rummaged through it before coming back out with a trinket that had fit Hikoru's description almost perfectly.

"I hope you find great joy in your wish." Father Wuotan waved his hand at the two players before a gust of wind blew and he had disappeared into the thicket of crowds. 

Spoiler

Hikoru receives the following:
Demonic Trinket: EVA / EVA / ACC / ACC

• 4 weeks later...

Lessa stared after Father Wuotan for a moment, snowflakes swirling to fill the space he had just vacated. Then she shifted atop the bench, turning back to Hikoru. "That's a very unique request," she commented. "It sounds like it's very important to you. I think it's very commendable that you'd opt for something as meaningful as it is powerful."

As the rest of the player's words sank in, Lessa nodded slightly. "Sounds like you and I have a few things in common. I know how it feels to have the world move on without you." The blonde paused, then called up her HUD. A few finger-flicks later, and a hot chocolate materialized in her hands. Like the man beside her on the bench, Lessa pressed her hands around the cup, relishing in the warmth as it climbed through her system. "I can't tell you how many new players I mentored. I led them through those beginner quest so many times that I memorized the damn things. And most of them went on climbing. Some of them are Frontliners now." Lessa fell silent, the words lingering in the cold air between them. Then she sighed, a burst of steam past her chapped lips. "Yeah, they've left me in the dust. I've spent way too much time sitting around, and I need to change that."

Her jaw worked as she considered her next words. They were a little pessimistic, but she decided to put voice them anyway. "At least you can recognize how you've changed. I can't. The past years have felt wasted to me."

@Hikoru

• 3 weeks later...

Hikoru listened as Father Wuotan brought out the pendant he asked for, from the 1's and 0's of the system the item was back in the possession of players. His eyes widened as it was placed in his hand, but he noticed something unique about it. Along the edge of the item, there were two symbols, almost looking as if they were engraved long ago. One of two swords crossed, another of a large, cleaver/looking sword. He didn't understand what those meant, but he ignored that for now. He put the item on and wore it, rubbing the pendant with his thumb, feeling nostalgic.

"Thank yo-" he started saying, but he saw that the man that was there was now gone in a gust of wind. He was taken aback from it, but soon moved on as he remembered that this was the system's person, and they could do what they wanted. He listened to Lessa and just nodded quietly as she spoke, seeing that they had a bit in common. She ended her statement with something negative, and his eyebrows furrowed a bit.

"Well, I didn't notice overnight. It was always the slight differences that I started to notice, to see myself grow." He spoke. "You can't just sit back and expect to see everything change all at once. You always have to watch yourself and see how your actions have developed." He spoke, then pulled out his dagger. "See, when we all started, we all fully relied on the Sword Arts Mechanics to do our attacks when we were all at our first rank." He said, then flipped it. "But over time, we realized how to fight, and as our ranks went up, so did our skills. It didn't happen over night, but it changed little by little, and everyone developed their own ways of fighting with their weapon. No one person fights the same as another. it's truly a unique thing." He said, then looked at Lessa. "We as people work the same way. We grow, we develop, and we learn over time. It takes time, it takes patience, and frustration always follows. But eventually, we realize that we have grown without meaning to, and small things about us change. I'm sure that you have grown as well, you just are looking at the bigger picture, and not the smaller parts." he spoke, then sheathed the dagger.

• 1 year later...

"You're probably right," Lessa finally admitted. She took another long sip from her hot chocolate, then tipped her head back, exposing her face to the sky. She focused on the tiny snowflakes that peppered her flushed skin while she thought on Hikoru's words. "I'm definitely changing a lot more these past few months, likely more than I have the past few years. It's pretty amazing how people can come into your life and shake everything up." Without her even noticing, a small smile crept onto Lessa's lips. Bahr, Alkor, the members of her new guild... things had certainly taken a turn for the wild recently.

Finally, she shifted on the bench so she faced Hikoru again. "It can be pretty tough to not focus on the big picture," she observed, "when the big picture is escape. I still really want to beat this game, and that's always hanging over my head. As much as I love the people I've met here, clearing the floors and getting the hell out of Dodge is still the end goal for me." She paused for a beat to chew on her lower lip, dragging it nervously between her teeth, before she made her biggest confession. "There are a lot of times when it feels like everything in between getting in here and getting out are just filler."

Hikoru listened and nodded to her words. He did have to admit, he himself had grown for the better in the past few months alone, thanks to the trials, talks and friends around him showing him, whether meaning to or otherwise, that he needed to change for the better. The stealth life, a life in the shadows had corrupted him little by little, hardening his heart and forcing him to put on a person as "Master of Shadows". He had been brought back to reality when he realized he wasnt happy, he was forcing himself to do things he didnt like. But the IBS, that was something he loved. Gathering Intel, helping to find rumors, that's what he loved. And that's where he put his time, and he wanted to give more. As she talked, he nodded.

"Yes, but remember, people play smaller parts to escape. We all are doing it in our own ways, and have to give our all in what we do. Shield is an amazing blacksmith. Zandra is one of the best healer in our ranks, and myself, I have started a band of amazing Info Brokers that help us to get Intel on the next boss. Everyone plays an important role, no matter how small it may feel." He smiled. He opened his inventory quietly. "But I need to focus on my part more, and I've come to realize that in the last short while." He said with a chuckle, and a weapon appeared in his hand, one that both him and Lessa recognized.

"But, that means that I have to drop things that I've wanted to do for a long time..." he looked at Lessa, the giant weapon in hand. "I know you're connected to this weapon, as am I. One of the women, Vale... who i loved, left this and I havent seen her since. I miss her, and this weapon is the only thing that I have of her.... I dont know what you plan with this weapon, but if you find her... protect her, keep her safe." He spoke, his eyes pleading for help for the mission he couldn't do himself.

Edited by Hikoru

Considering Lessa's strong people skills, it was exceedingly rare that she found herself at a complete loss for words. This was one of those moments. Unable to do anything but gape, her wide-eyed gaze shifted from the sword, to Hikoru, then back again. "Demonic Gram," she finally managed, each word an awed whisper. "How did - where did - but - why?" Finally, her eyes came to rest on the other player's face. "I had that sword, a long time ago. Dom gave it to me, at the Azure Brigade holiday party." The woman leaned back a bit, expression going dreamy as she went back to that time. "I honestly haven't though about those days in ages," she finally admitted.

Reaching back, she raked her fingers through her long blonde hair, then heaved a sigh. "Anyway, I used the sword for a while, and then it just disappeared from my inventory. It was the first demonic anything I had ever owned, so I just assumed it had some magical properties or something." She paused to loose a quick, humorless laugh, then shook her head slowly. "I have no idea what happened, but it got to you. And now it's found it's way back to me."

While her fingers itched to reach out and take the weapon, or at the very least touch it, she refrained. Instead, she tilted her head as she studied the man through the lightly falling snow. "Would you mind telling me about Vale, and what she did with the sword? I'm really curious about its history."

Hikoru was a bit confused from Lessa's reaction to the sword, and he realized the info he had on Lessa was correct, however she seemed confused as to how he had it. From what he had thought, Lessa had given it to Vale somehow, but maybe that wasn't the case. He was confused but he decided to drop it. She told him where she got it, and how it disappeared from her inventory. Did Vale somehow steal it? He didn't know something was possible in the system. He would have to look into it a bit later. He thought for a moment as she asked about it relation to Vale, and he sighed.

"She... was a fighter, through and through. Martial Arts and stealth user, and one of the most stubborn women I'd ever known." A faint smile appeared on his lips. "She... was beautiful, in everything she did. We were a couple, I almost proposed before she went off the grid, and I havent seen her since." He looked at the sword. "And this.... basically has a demon connected to it. Every time we went to a boss, some sort of code would infect it, and it would grow twice as strong. She feared the demon in this sword, and I swore I'd protect it for her." He frowned

"But i can no longer keep that promise."

Lessa nodded along slowly, listening to Hikoru speak as the snow fell silently around them. When he'd finished, she said, "Vale sounds like a pretty spectacular woman." Then, a little softer, she added, "I'm really sorry that you lost her." Letting her gaze drop to her gloved hands, and the steaming cup of hot chocolate clutched there, the blonde gave a small sigh. "I know how hard it is to have people simply disappear on you. You start to wonder if it was you, and something that you did. But it so rarely is, when you really look at it. At least, from my own experience." After a pause, Lessa looked back to Hikoru with a soft smile. "Honestly, I think it's her loss. You seem like a pretty spectacular guy, too. I hope you find someone to fill the void she left behind."

With that out of the way, she looked back to Gram. "I've heard similar stories, about demons in blades. My Scarecrow Sickle is actually supposed to have a similar quirk, though I haven't experienced it myself yet. I also never noticed it when I used Gram, but like I said, I didn't have it for very long." 

Finally, she asked, "Why won't you be able to keep your promise?"

Hikoru sat there silently for a few moments, his hand around the sword that had brought him turmoil through fights, and was the cause of Vale leaving. He always just wanted to throw it away, but something stopped him from doing so. He heard Lessa say a few words about Vale and losing her, and only a small smile could be seen. "She was my everything." He simply spoke. Kit and Ariel had a special place in his heart, but Vale... She helped him in his darkest time, and gave him love he didn't know he deserved. He sat quietly as Lessa spoke about her own experience with cursed items, and he nodded.

"The Info Brokers have been keeping tabs on items like these. Although rare, they seem to be almost like a glitch in the system, which is the scary part.  They warp and change things in the game, and there's no cause or reason as to why they do. I tried to find the reason it existed, but any trail I took went cold." He looked at the blade again. "There's just no reason that makes sense, unless the ghosts of players actually exist in this game, and they bond with items and cause these glitches." He shook his head in disbelief. "But we'll never know the truth unless we can ask Kayaba directly."

Lessa asked why he wouldn't be able to keep his promise, and he looked at the snow in front of him. "Well, look at the snowflakes." He waited a moment before continuing, finding the right words. "Each snowflake is unique, each come with their own place in this world. You and I are different. In our roles on the battlefield, in our fighting styles, everything. Not one person is the same." a slight frown formed on his face. "I have been forcing myself to play a role I wasn't meant to play anymore. My time of retirement has come, and I can't even argue it anymore." He said with a chuckle. "Don't tell anyone this but, one day I woke up and I didn't have my Unique Skill anymore, it was just... gone. I'm no longer the Master of Shadows. I'm just.... Hik." He said quietly, a tinge of regret in his voice.

"So, I'm going to be working with the Info Broker Society full time, and taking over the reigns fully. There are more and more rumors every day, and someone has to sift through them and find the real ones amongst the fake." He looked at Lessa. "I might finally open up my café too. I've been trying to brainstorm ideas. Something with a pumpkin, since that's my familiar." He laughed a little bit. "But, my time on the frontlines has come to an end, against my own wants about it."

At the mention of his lost unique skill, Lessa shook her head. "Geeze," she muttered softly, "I am so sorry. I know how rare those are, and how important they are to the people they have them. From what I've seen, they really become a part of your identity. Losing it must feel like..." She waved a hand through the air, as if to pluck the missing words from the falling snowflakes. "... losing a part of yourself, I guess. That must have been really difficult."

She leaned back a bit, crossing her ankles, and studying her snow-dusted snowboots. "Retirement sounds nice though," she commented. "Especially after all that you've been through. If working with the information brokers makes you happy, I definitely think you should do it. And a cafe sounds amazing, too." Holding up her cup of hot chocolate, the blonde nodded to it. "I'm not much a coffee drinker, and normally go for the hot chocolate and the sweet drinks. But I'd still like to visit your place, once it's up and running. And I'd definitely like to chase some of those rumors you find. That's an aspect of life in Aincrad I haven't thought too much about, but it sounds like a nice break from the fighting."

There was a finality in Hikoru's words, and her own had inadvertently reflected it. Their conversation was beginning to draw to a natural close. "This has been nice," Lessa admitted finally. "Seeing Gram again, I mean, but also just talking with you. You've given me a lot to think about. Thank you for that."