<<Let there Be Light>> A Mothers Love

"Please! Please you have to help me!" A sobbing woman came up to Mari, who was just outside the safe zone near Delilah. Mari knew what this was. It was that quest.  The lady wore a simple green dress and had long brown hair tied up in a bun. "Please...." Her shaking hands gripped Mari's shoulders. "M-My daughter! She was playing with her friend near a cave but s-some monsters attacked and now she's lost and I need someone to help...please?" The mother sobbed as she sunk to her knees. "Please...h...help find my daughter..."

"Okay." Mari said as she pried the womans hands off her. "I'll help you."  The mother sobbed, giving her thanks before running back to the village, claiming she'd find Mari when the quest was 'completed'

"Dammit..." Mari muttered as her face sunk into her hands.

Truth be told Mari had always avoided the quest. Denied it at every chance she could. It was just too painful...too close to him. Even now - when she knew she could easily decimate the quest on her own. Mari...didn't want to be alone. She sighed as she scrolled through her friends list... Alkor... definitely couldn't talk to him right now, things were still raw. Gladiator? No...he was a father too and the wounds may be just as raw with him. Macradon was busy - so who did that leave her? Ronnel. Mari wasn't sure if she really wanted to talk to him right now, but she knew she was being far too rude and judgemental. With a sigh Mari opened up her HUD to send him a message.

Hey Ronnel,
I'm doing the Let there Be Light Quest.
If you wish to join meet on the path that leads out the town and into the cave. I'll be on my usual rock.
-Mari.

Mari was never one for long or emotional messages. She said what she had to say. She had tried to be more open and carefree with them, especially when it came to Alkor but look where that got her. No. It was better to only message people if the need arose.

"This....is going to be a bothersome quest..." Mari said with a sigh as she brushed her fringe out of her face. "At least it'll be easy, battle wise." Mari wasn't sure it would be so easy emotionally

@Ronnel

General
Level: 51 | HP: 1050  |Energy: 102

STATS

DAM: 11 | EVA 3  | MIT 43 | ACC 4 | 

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)

EQUIPPED
Name: 
Kusanagi | Item Type: Dagger | Tier 2
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Damage 2
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking enemy.

Edited by Mari

Ronnel blinked as he walked through the city, his hands tucked into his pockets as he ambled through the bustling streets. While he'd continued to send messages to her every so often - mostly inane ramblings and observations - he hadn't gotten many replies from Mari, so when his alert window started flashing with an incoming message from her, he was understandably startled. He flicked it open and read through it, then chewed on his lip. 

The spear-user had already done that quest - the first one he ever did as a matter of fact, before he'd even met the orange player the first time. He still remembered being utterly and completely useless in that quest - even when he'd gone to fight the Nepents with Mari he'd actually been able to accomplish something. And added on to that was the fact that Mari had actually reached out to him, instead of the other way around. He ran the fingers of one hand through his hair and shrugged, one corner of his mouth tugging upwards slightly. 

Mari -
	I'll be there in a little bit. Heading that way now - and thank you.
	Ronnel

@Mari

Ronnel sent the message off then started down the streets, adjusting his course as he started heading towards the spot where he normally met the woman. As he went he checked his gear, eyes scrolling through to make sure everything was in place. It didn't take him long to leave the gates, out into the fields, and he followed the path to the rock the redhead normally perched on. The dark haired man waved as he came up, giving her a cheerful grin. 

"Morning, or something like it I'm honestly not sure."

Ronnel: 

Level: 9 

HP: 180/180 EN: 18/18

DAM: 5

Mit: 26

Acc: 1

Gear:

Armor:

Tem Armor: +1 Slot MIT ; +2 Slots Heavy Momentum 

Pup's Greaves: +1 Slot MIT

Weapon:

Varathra: 2 Handed Assault Spear +1 Dam, +1 ACC, +1 Bleed 

Edited by Ronnel

Mari quirked her head, eyebrows furrowed in a knot of confusion as he said he wasn't sure what time of day it was. "You...don't really keep track of time, do you?" She extended a slender arm and pointed toward the sun. "Even if you don't it's maybe an hour, or a tad more - before noon.  I'd say it looks like you got a bit more of a handle on things now...but..." Mari shrugged, then sighed. This was not the way to win people over, was it?

Mari stood and dusted off her black jumper. "Right. So this quest should be easy enough. Have you done it?" She paused when she looked up at him, her eyes drifting to the small imprint of what...looked like a dog? on his armour? Skeptical eyes shifted from the dog to Ronnels face then back to the dog. Mari was tempted, very tempted to comment on it, but she didn't. Instead she turned on her heel.

"Well Ronnel, follow me. I want to get this particular one over and done with as quickly as possible."

@Ronnel

"I was more meaning outside." Ronnel chuckled softly and shook his head with a light grin on his face. He saw the way Mari's face fell for a moment after she finished speaking, likely thinking about what she'd said, or at least how she'd said it. "And thank you - I do feel a bit more comfortable in my own skin now, not flailing about like a newborn child." 

Her eyes flicked downwards for a moment to the armor he was wearing, and the spear user could almost see the cogs turning and the question forming. But the redhead didn't ask him about it, focusing instead on the quest. He nodded.

"Yes, I've done this one once. In a party with a woman named Cordelia. She was..." He frowned slightly and rubbed the back of his head. "A tad more brusque with the kid than I would have been. I know they're just NPCs but..." The plight of this family had stung him then and it was part of why he was so willing to help Mari out. A second chance as it were. With a shrug he started following after her - idly scrolling through his current list of food items and seeing if any woman would pique the interest of - he bit his lip to stop from laughing. First a firecracker, and now here he was with a hedgehog. 

"Cordelia...yeh...I know her, I can't quite put my finger on that kid." Mari admitted. "Every time I see her, its like she's a totally different person with a different personality. One minute she's rough and rude - and screams about not caring about people or even herself dying. Next she's happy and chipper, then - she's snide and seems to take joy in watching others fail..." Mari reached up and scruffed her hair in annoyance. "I don't wanna blame her, but I dunno... she's an odd one that one. She definitely picks me as the type to not give two sh*ts about an NPC."

Normally, Mari had the same attitude, but she tried to at least act with some modicum of cordial etiquette. "If you've done this quest, why are you here?" Mari asked. If she knew he had done it, she would have just gone in solo. There was no need to bring him along if he had nothing to gain from it. Mari's eyes shifted to his tall and broad form, trying to get at why he would have accompanied her. Did he want to hold it over her? Did he want to bank in a so-called favour?

"You're not doing me any favours by accompanying me." Mari said as they headed into the forest. She wanted to make that clear to him, lest he get any other ideas.

@Ronnel

Ronnel couldn't quite argue with the assessment of Cordelia. She'd seemed flighty - hating the idea of gathering and thinking it a waste of time, but joining him for it anyway. Though she most definitely hadn't cared about the mother when he had been speaking to the woman, that was for sure. He blinked and paused as Mari asked him why he was here if he had already done it. It sounded like - he shook his head. 

"I'm here because you offered. I'm not concerned about numbers or anything like that - and I certainly know you don't need the help. But I am here to help you anyway - and no. I do not expect or want any kind of repayment. I don't work like that." He shrugged. "I just want to help you and this is a chance to. That's all the reason I needed." The dark haired man fully expected a derisive comment from the redhead but it was the truth. And he certainly didn't nitpick over the minutia of how he'd 'get lesser rewards' or anything like that - numbers and such like that barely registered to him and certainly weren't important. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ronnel told her that he was there because she had offered; the thing was - Mari only offered because she thought he needed help with the quest. She figured - hey, why not help the sniveling guy level himself up a bit? Still..A deep sigh came from Mari. Still he was offering her help and companionship. She couldn't keep pushing it away so easily. "I suppose." She muttered as she kicked at a stone with her shoe. He just wanted to help, and that was the only reason?

She wasn't entirely sure she believed it - but to question it now, to ridicule it...wasn't right. She'd let him do what he wished, and just keep him at arms length. That was easier. Much easier than letting anyone get too close. She wasn't going to let herself trust others too easily so soon.

They continued through the forest until they hit the entrance to the cave, in relative silence. Mari wasn't one to start small talk, and it seemed Ronnel was content in letting her have that silence. Mari placed a hand on the cave entrance, taking a few steps in.

Her heart sank and she felt sick to her stomach - she could hear it, the distant wailing and sobbing of a small, lost child. Her hand gripped the wall tighter. She cursed the fact she lost her Night Vision in the update. She cursed the fact this mission just had to have a crying child in it. "C-C'mon. Let's get this over with."

@Ronnel

Ronnel took in a slow breath and let it out, rocking his neck from side to side to crack it. He wasn't looking forward to going back into the cave to fight yet more bats - but he also was not about to turn his back on the lost child, or on Mari asking for his help whatever her reason might have been. He stilled when he heard the echoes of a cry coming through the cave system, and he bit back a curse before pressing onwards. Cordelia's blunt, uncaring demeanor had kept him off balance last time, on top of the fact that he barely knew what he was doing out here. He started moving swifter, his pace picking up as he delved into the depths of the dark cave.

"It's also a bit silly but - this is a mission, one of the few I've seen, oriented on a family, reuniting them. It...resonates." He finally said, his voice cutting through the dark silence around them. The red-eyed man had noticed that there was something slightly off about Mari's demeanor right now, and he was trying to prompt it out of her without directly asking her. That seemed like a good way to antagonize her. So instead he would try to coax a conversation out of her. "Family is important." His eyes tried to pierce the gloom, searching - the bats would come first, guarding their captive. 

Mari really didn't want to talk about this with Ronnel, she didn't want to talk about it at all. With anyone. Hell, even Alkor wouldn't get her to open up during this quest. She just kept walking forward alongside the tall and broad man. "I wouldn't know." She said simply as he said it resonated with him. Family, important? Yeh... it probably was, but hers was broken - the father of her daughter an asshole who abused a corrupt system, and now her deceased daughter. No...Families were only as strong as the bonds that tied them together. "Its...a thing." Mari said, it was strained.  Crap He was just being nice right? How was she meant to talk about stuff like that though? It was too hard.

Luckily, a small figure up ahead distracted them -  Mari broke into a run; almost forgetting that Ronnel was there. She stopped just in front of a small girl with bright blonde hair.

"Hey...Hey. You okay?" Mari asked as she knealt down in front of the crying girl. "You're lost right? Here." Mari opened up her inventory and pulled out her white cloak and wrapped it around the blonde girl, rubbing her shoulders to warm her up. "My names Mari, what's yours?"

"C-C-C-Chloe!" The kid sobbed as she tried to wipe her eyes. 

"Chloe, that's a nice name. You know my daughter named her fish Chloe."  That was a lie, of course - but Mari knew such a thing would distract her from her fear.

"M-my name isn't a fishies name!" Chloe said indignantly as she puffed out her cheeks. There That seemed to work. It was just like Evelyn, when she was hurt or scared. Sometimes, you just gotta keep them distracted, let their minds focus on something else. Mari nodded and crossed her arms. "I know, right? I told her bubbles was a much better name. What would you name a fish if you had one?" 

Chloe stepped in closer, tiny hands holding onto Mari's arm. "G-Goldie. I'd name it Goldie." Mari released her arms and stood, letting Chloe slip her hand into Mari's. "Goldie, that's a nice name. You know I want to get a giant fish myself."

"Really?" Chloe asked.

"Yeh." Mari replied. "It's much, much bigger than a goldfish. It's called a Koi fish." Mari glanced over at Ronnel, gesturing for him to follow them. She then began to lead Chloe through the caves. "Can you do me a favour Chloe? I need you to stay close to that big tall man. Okay?" 

Chloe looked back at Ronnel and puffed out her cheeks.
"N-No! I wanna stay with you Mari!"

Mari inwardly flinched, this kid wouldn't want to stay with her if she knew...no one would. "There's some scary bats up ahead, and when they come out - I'm going to use my superhero powers to defeat them. But that man is like a..." Mari paused as she glanced at Ronnel. What was he? Ahh. "He's like a big giant dog. He will protect you." 

@Ronnel

Edited by Mari

"Do I need to get a tag that says 'not a dog or something?" Ronnel murmured to himself and shook his head with a laugh. There was something odd about Mari' s behavior, almost hesitant at times but yet… almost motherly. He rubbed his chest for a moment before kneeling down and smiling brightly at the little girl. 

"Come on over here Chloe - Mari needs her hands free so she can help keep you safe and stop the bad things, alright?" 

"Why can't you do it and let me stay with Mari?" From the corner of his eye he saw Mari flinch again, just a little. Instead he laughed and tapped his chest. 

"Well, it's because I'm a big strong shield, right? Do you attack with shields?" Chloe paused for a moment her brow furrowing before she shook her head. 

"Nuh uh, that'd be silly!" 

"Exactly!" Slowly, the girl peeled herself away from Mari, reluctantly, before trotting over to where Ronnel was kneeling. He took one of her hands and placed it on his head, and she giggled as she rubbed his hair. 

"He is like a dog Miss Mari!" The girl beamed bright and cheery at Mari, as Ronnel hid an exasperated look from the child. 

"Yeh, I suppose he is..." Mari said as she tilted her head to the side, watching the young girl interact with Ronnel. He seemed to know how to handle kids. That was good. It meant she didn't have to worry about Chloe if any monsters appeared, and judging from the quest information given to her; there would be two bats flapping about the place. "Right." Mari said with a spin on her heel as she plastered a pleasant (and albeit fake) smile on her face. "Let's play follow the leader~"  Mari took several steps back toward Ronnel and Chloe. "I'll be the leader, and help guide us out of this cave." 

"B-but the scary monsters are back there." Chloe said as she placed a hand in front of her mouth, inwardly shrinking upon herself. Mari glanced up at Ronnel, she couldn't tell him outright to protect Chloe, but by the look in his eyes, he got the hint. The man gave Mari a curt nod. Mari glanced back down at Chloe. "Remember you've got your shield next to you." Mari said as she reached out and patted Ronnels stomach. "You just have to say the special incantation, 'help me puppy shield!" 

Choe grinned as she held up her hands in the air. "
Help me Puppy Shield!"

Mari gave Chloe a warm smile as she reached out and carefully pushed golden strands of blonde behind the little girls ear. "Yeh, just like that." 

Mari stood and began to lead them through the cave, back the way they had come, did...it get darker somehow? Mari furrowed her eyes. Normally one would adjust to the darkness.

A large screech came from just in front of them and Mari realized it hadn't gotten darker; it was the bats that had blocked their way. "Don't forget that spell, Chloe." Mari said as she pulled out her dagger and without hesitation rushed at the first Bat. Her dagger flashed with a bright light as she activated the <<Infinite>> Dagger skill, she lifted her dagger and arched it in a infinity symbol as she slashed at the bat several times. It gave a shriek before falling to the floor and exploding in an array of data.

But that wasn't the end of it. Another appeared right behind it, swooping down and trying to bite her, Mari lifted up her arm to push it out of the way, she winced as it bit down on the exposed flesh of her forearm, but it was nothing more than a slight tingle. Mari shook off the bat. 

"I'm fine, I think its an old man bat- it has gummy bites!" Mari called out over her shoulder at Chloe, she didn't want the girl to be worried.

@Ronnel

MARI  |  1048/1050  | 97/102 EN
ID:#135511  BD: 5-1=4 + 4 = 8 SUCCESS
11 x 5 = 55 

GIANT BAT 1|  0/50  | 20 DAM
GIANT BAT 2|  50/50  | 20 DAM

ID:#135512  MD: 10-1 = SUCCESS 
22 Damage - 43 Mit = 2 Damage (CRIT)

Edited by Mari
  • 4 weeks later...

Ronnel felt the girl's body tremble when the bat's appeared - right. These bat's had been keeping the girl captive for however long, of course she'd be scared of them. But as the first one burst into data, she started to relax, trusting in Mari. That relief vanished when the second bat struck, sinking its teeth into Mari's forearm before shooting backwards, flapping its wings as it moved away. 

His eyes tracked the beast as it pulled away from Mari, towards the two of them. He knew Mari was tougher than he was, had more health and armor - but even so he did not like seeing others get hurt. The only thing that kept him from leaping into the fight as soon as the second bat had appeared at the same time was his duty to protect Chloe. He shifted slightly, tensing up on his leg as the bat drew closer to them. 

Ronnel felt another tremor roll through him as Chloe clutched at the back of his shirt and he narrowed his eyes. A gust of wind from the wings swept over them and the girl let out a shriek. 

"Protect me Puppy Shield!" Her voice was high pitched, a shriek of fear. She drew away from him, and over his shoulder he could see the little girl curling in on herself in fright. His face set. His knuckles turned white on Varathra. A heartbeat, a breathe in - and then he burst into motion. 

His armor glittered in the faint light of the cave as he darted into place firmly between the bat and the child. The twin-bladed spear swept up - he didn't use a Sword Art here - he wasn't the slayer. He was the shield. But even so - fury drove his muscles, as he thought of a little girl he missed dearly hiding behind him instead. The bat let out a loud shrieking cry of pain as it flew forwards, its body quivering in agony as a large wound opened up on it. 

"You will not touch her." Ronnel spat out as he set himself between bat and child. Dark wings beat the air as the beast reoriented itself, focusing on the spear-wielder. 

Ronnel: 

HP: 180/180 EN: 17/18

DAM: 5 MIT: 26 ACC 1 

Varathra:: DAM, ACC, Bleed 

Giant Bat 2: HP 50/50

ID# 136856 results:

Battle: 10 (Crit Hit!) 

Dam: 5 x 2  = 10!

Bleed Proc: 12 dam next turn cycle

Hate:+ 2 (Critical hit) 

Giant Bat 2: HP: 40/50, Bleed (Takes 12 Damage next turn cycle on Ronnel's turn) 

HATE Target: Ronnel

Edited by Ronnel

Ronnel was quick to defend the little girl - Mari was a little frustrated that the bat had gone to them, despite the fact that she had already wiped out one of them. But this was easy. Almost too easy. She activated the <<Infinite>> Sword Art again then dashed toward the bat. With its back turned Mari was able to swipe at it, just as the creature was lifting itself higher with large flaps of its leathery wings.

She had almost, almost missed. But luck was on her side ; she successfully striked the creature before it could lift itself too high, out of reach of the tiny dagger that she held. The bat screeched then fell to the ground. "See. " Mari said as she lifted her arm up to Ronnel and Chloe. "Just gummy bites. I'm fine." 

Mari shifted past Ronnel, "Thanks."  She said to him as she passed him to then kneel down to Chloe's level. "You Okay?" 

Chloe nodded as she wiped the tears from her eyes, recovering quickly from the fear that she had moments before. Kids were tenacious that way, NPCs, even more so - there was no immediate threat so there was no need to react in such a way. 
 "Mmhmm thanks to you and Puppy Shield!" 

"Good," Mari stood up straight. "Now, let's get out of here." She turned to look over at Ronnel, she wasn't sure what to say to him. She was terrible with words. "You did good." 

@Ronnel

MARI  |  1048/1050  | 92/102 EN
ID:#136898   BD:3  +4-1= 6 SUCCESS! 
11 x 5 = 55 

GIANT BAT 1|  0/50  | 20 DAM
GIANT BAT 2|  40/50  | 20 DAM

Edited by Mari

Ronnel spun Varathra over in his hands before dropping the spear unto his inventory, clapping his hands together as Mari knelt next to Chloe. This had gone well - thankfully Mari had been able to finish the bat off before it had gotten an attack in, since the man didn't want to see the girl cry because both of them had been hurt. As things were - 

"Yep. Old man bats are no match for Mari or the.. Puppy Shield." He finished with a slightly tight smile before tilting his head in acknowledgement to Mari. The orange player still didn't seem too sure of him or was just uncomfortable with speaking, either way he wasn't going to press the matter. 

"Now, Chloe, how about we leave this smelly old cave? I know your mom is waiting for you." A slight pang hit his chest - he doubted his own mother cared that he'd been trapped in this death game for two years. But he kept that pain bottled up, not about to dump it on an NPC child or Mari, who he barely knew. 

@Mari

Mari turned away as Chloe and Ronnel spoke of family and mothers. She didn't need to hear it. Her stomach turned and her mood turned sour. This quest...was way, way too close to home for her. It's why she had been avoiding it for so long. At least she had someone else with her this time, which made it go by quicker. But maybe it'd have been better if Mari did do it alone...she'd be able to quickly get in and out - and no one would bother her.

Still...Watching Chloe interact with Ronnel, it made Mari feel a little better.

Chloe had given Ronnel a big grin.
"Uhuh! I can't wait to tell mummy about everything!" She said with a large smile as she reached up to Ronnel "Carry me!" Ronnel chuckled as he bent down and picked her up, strong arms taut - lifting her as though she were a feather. The childs laughter filled the cave in tinkling, carefree vibrations as Mari began to walk out with Ronnel.

"I do appreciate you coming..." Mari said quietly, so as to not disturb the NPC child. "I lost my daughter so...this quest is a little too close to home for me, It's why I hadn't done it till now." Mari admitted. 

@Ronnel

"And she'll be happy to hear all about it from you." Ronnel lifted the girl up and settled her onto his shoulders. Her tiny hands curled up into his hair and she began humming happily to herself as the trio made their way through the tunnels of the cave. The man relaxed infinitesimally once she was secure and then followed after Mari. 

When she spoke, his eyes flicked to her for a moment. Thankfully it seemed like the woman was quiet enough that the girl humming above him didn't notice, and he gave a slow nod, chewing on his lip for a moment as he considered how to respond. It was a heavy thing - but the mission was dear to him too. 

"I stumbled across it the first time before I even really knew what it was." His voice was soft. "If I'd known then, I probably would have done the same and avoided it. But -" He bit his lip before pressing on. "Kind of the inverse. Growing up, my parents were pretty distant. So caring parents.." Were hard for him to see, to be near. It made something inside ache in a way that never really stopped. He shook his head, drawing a whine from the girl on his shoulders until she resumed humming and fiddling with his hair. 

"But family is important. I can't turn away from that."  There was absolutely no way he would be like his parents had been. Discarding a child as soon as it was convenient. 

Ronnel didn't comment too much on what Mari had said; rightfully so - there was a small child present. It was why Mari had been so quiet about everything throughout the quest. Because she was worried if she had said something... it'd be negative and whilst the child was nothing more than lines of data and code Mari couldn't bring herself to be the reason why a child cried. At least he seemed to understand that. The last thing she needed or wanted was someone grilling her about not being talkative.

Mari was relatively silent as they walked through the cave. As they finally hit the light of the entrance and stepped out from stone onto grassy pastures Mari shifted her eyes to Ronnel. He was still carrying Chloe; who was happily humming and singing, quite content on Ronnels shoulders. "Sometimes ya just gotta deal with the cards that you've been dealt with." Mari said quietly. Her words probably sounded cold to him, but she didn't mean for them to be. Sure  he had distant parents, but that wasn't the worse of it.

"For what its worth, ya turned out pretty okay."

@Ronnel

Ronnel hummed for a moment softly, and gave her a slow nod. "Parents can be role models." He pitched his voice loud enough for Chloe to blink and pause in her activity, as she listened. "You want to try to be like them, try to impress them because you know they love you." Then he bounced his shoulders making the girl giggle, and shook his head, flipping his hair against her until she was distracted. Then his gaze turned to Mari and he spoke softer. 

"And sometimes, they're a role model of what you don't want to be like. For what it's worth - if what happened has affected you this much, it's pretty apparent you loved her. And I'm sure it is, was, reciprocated. Wait." Ronnel blinked as he felt a tugging on his scalp. 

"Chloe, what are you doing?" His answer was a giggle and silence. He turned his dark eyes towards Mari. "Mari, what is she doing? Mari?" 

"I'm making piggy tails." Chloe said happily. As she continued to pull and tug on his hair. "Mommy says pigtails always make people look cuter, and puppies need pig tails when they have so much hair." 

"Bluh." Well that was an eloquent noise. The man's eyes went up towards his forehead, then closed and he exhaled slowly, with a look of exasperated fondness. "My hair is fine, Chloe, I don't need pigtails, I promise."  His protests meant very little to the girl, as he laughed and continued to give them to him anyway.

Mari turned her gaze away from Ronnel, she really didn't want to hear those words. She didn't need to hear about how great of a person she was, or how much she had cared... because truth be told? She was almost numb to the whole thing now, thinking about it made her feel sick...and even though his intentions were good, the words made her feel like crap. Because she was the reason her daughter had departed this world. 

"You know I-" Mari was interrupted as the sobbing woman who had approached her earlier appeared, seemingly out of nowhere. How....convenient. The quest probably placed the wandering NPC near the exit of the cave, so that players wouldn't have to go venturing back into town to find her. That...was actually a bit of a relief

"MOMMMY!" Chloe had wriggled off of Ronnels back and ran over to the woman who profusely thanked them. Handing them each a bag of Col as she went to scurry away. Chloe had waved goodbye to the two, cheerfully thanking them for helping her out of the cave. 

Well.

Now that was over...

Mari turned her eyes back to Ronnel.

"I guess this is where we part ways, huh?"

@Ronnel

Ronnel watched as the duo disappeared down one of the city streets and hummed slightly. A second time round, this time the parting felt more.. Satisfying? Like he had actually done something and accomplished something, not like last time when he had gotten lost and been utterly useless.. 

His eyes flicked to Mari as she spoke and he rubbed the back of his head with one hand, wincing when he felt his fingers get tangled on the pigtails that Chloe had braided into his hair. He grumbled and started undoing them as he gave a light shrug. 

"For now at least. You've probably had your fill of my scrubby self by now and I ain't the kind to impose overmuch." He gave up fixing his hair for now - he'd need a mirror to see it and get it done properly. "But don't hesitate to drop me a message if you need something or just want to chat. It's a standing offer and I won't judge." He didn't really think Mari would actually take him up on the offer - but he was honest about it. And if she did, that would be great. 

"Thanks for having me along Mari. Stay safe." He gave her a quirked smile and started to make his way to the inn he was currently staying in.