[PP|F02]God Kill the Queen<<Long Live the Queen>>

Shay traveled through the second floor into the greens deciding to don her new gear. A curved sword she had named Murasame and little tie that brought her outfit together better than she thought it would. It was weird to get used to actually wielding the weapons for real, as opposed to what she was accustomed with - a keyboard and mouse. 

The raven-haired woman opened her HUD and scrolled through her messages to find the coordinates that she could find her upcoming partner. Mari was her name. She wondered if that was supposed to be a Japanese name. She didn't know anyone with the name Mari at home, but that wasn't saying much for her lack of friends. Sooner or later she came close enough to the coordinates listed in the message to see the orange figure.

"Oi, anatawa Maridesuka?" She called out, her voice sounded somewhat callous, but if it came off as actually cold that intent wasn't meant.

@Mari

Shay
Level: 1 | HP:  20 | Energy: 2

Stats
DMG: 3 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 1

Equipment
CS: Murasame ε [2 Bleed, 1 Damage]
Description: A Progeny blade designed to get one approximated to the use of a curved weapon, formed from a composite blood carbon and malachite/ebony alloy. The curve is low drawn, as to keep the edge relatively straightened. Paired with a matching red leather scabbard its an imposing looking weapon.
Trinket: Deep Red Tie [Recovery 2, Accuracy 1]
Description: A velvet soft red tie, although it appears linen in make from a distance. Adorned with a small brass button in the shape of shield, it really ties an outfit together.

Consumables
5) Starter Healing Potions(50HP)

Edited by Shay
Shay's damage was incorrectly labeled 2 instead of 3

Mari was sitting on a large flat rock in the middle of a field of flowers, not too far out from Marome Village, she was waiting for the person who replied to her offer. With arms folded and legs crossed the ginger haired woman looked smaller than she actually was. Mari stood as she was approached by a small raven haired girl. Her entire ensemble, black - her hair? Black. Eyes and tie? Black   Nope they were red. Mari tilted her head to the side; this girl was speaking Japanese too? She knew the system had some sort of language translation thing. But hey. 

"Yo." Mari said as she lifted her hand up in a general sign of greeting. She wasn't so sure how this would go; but in the effort of trying to be better - and trying to improve herself...Mari wanted to at least extend the olive branch out for others; this user 'Shay' had responded to a call out Mari had placed on the Player Request Board.  Yuki thought she'd be a good teacher, so did Macradon. Mari still had her doubts - but this would be a good way to see for real. Unbiased. Besides, it would be a good way for her to gain a little bit of extra experience and items along the way. So long as she didn't have to deal with that damn beginner quest line anymore - if she had to pick any more meaningless flowers, or kill another boar she'd ... well she'd not do much, but she'd be pretty pissed.

"Yeh, I'm Mari. You must be Shay, right?" Mari asked with a small tilt of her head, shifting her weight to one side.  "You wanted to do the Queen Bee quest right? What weapon are you using, and do you have any skill points invested in it to use Sword Arts?" 

@Shay

General
Level: 53 | HP: 1090  |Energy: 106

STATS

DAM: 11 | EVA 3  | MIT 43 | ACC 4 | 

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)
SURVIVAL

EQUIPPED
Name: 
Kusanagi | Item Type: Dagger | Tier 2
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Damage 2
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking enemy.

Shay quietly inspected the girl in front of her. Much taller than she had expected her to be. Her weapons and armor were well made, it was painfully obvious the difference in their strength.  When asked what weapon she used, she pulled Murasame out and presented the blade.

"I prefer to use curved swords. I intend to switch to a Katana in the future, unfortunate that the prerequisite for the weapon skill costs me extra skill points, but it cannot be helped." The quiet girl explained. After presenting her weapon enough for an explanation, she returned it to her side on her belt. "I must admit, I'm upset to say I'm too weak for this quest, so I'll have to lean on you the entire way through, but I don't think that's a problem for you if your intent is to help lower level players. I am Shay, nice to meet you."

Her tone continued in that hush. She either came off shy or unfeeling, it was hard to tell on the outside.

@Mari

Curved swords?

Mari wondered if she'd be interested in the school that Macradon was planning, since he wanted to teach fencing - wasn't Baldur wanting to specialize in Katana teaching too? Mari couldn't remember. Right now wasn't the time to think about those things - she placed a bookmark in the thought and the book upon a shelf in her subconsciousness - a discussion for later. 

Shay didn't seem to react to Mari's name; nor her orange crystal. 'Has my reputation truly been erased?' Mari thought to herself. The thought came with mixed feelings of both relief and concern. She didn't want to be forever known as someone who past rumours made her out to be - because many of them did create a crueler and more monstrous picture. But...she still had taken lives...and each and every one would be forever etched on her heart. A cruel but necessary scar.

Mari cleared her throat. "You shouldn't be upset." She commented with a nod of her chin toward the raven haired woman. "We all start out somewhere, you've made the decision to step out of the safety of Taft - and are wanting to better yourself. That takes more strength than you know."  Mari opened up her inventory with a quick swipe of her hands. 

"I understand you aren't up to par stat wise; so these may help you out - Crystals work in the same way potions do. Except they can be used in the midst of battle - you don't waste time and miss out on an attack opportunity."

She opened up a gift option between herself and Shay.  "If you don't have any questions, I can begin to lead you out - This one is pretty easy to fight. She spawns alone in a field of flowers just up ahead. You'll also get a damage item much like the crystals I've just offered you. It may seem silly, but keep them. Use them. That single point of difference does come in handy."

@Shay

Mari gives Shay the following:
T1 Damage Crystal | +1 Damage (#ID 136702)
T1 Damage Crystal | +1 Damage (#ID 136702)
T1 Damage Crystal | +1 Damage (#ID 136707)

Shay silently takes the crystals in her hand and inspects them carefully. They did look like they would be useful, however, she was sure they would be less useful than optimal for what they were fighting. It was just a simple matter of being too low a level for this quest in particular.

Even though she’d made no mention of seeing the orange crystal, Mari did notice the crimson-eyed girl peer up at it. She remained quiet on the matter for now. If Mari had intention to kill her, what could she really do about it? She wouldn't have a chance in hell taking on someone so much higher of a level. Even if she had a chance to retaliate, she was sure that natural regeneration could keep her alive though Shay's damage. She would just have to hope that Mari's intentions weren't malicious.

"I thank you for the help, both with the crystals and the quest. I should need them, I won't hesitate to use these crystals." Shay gave her a formal Japanese bow. "I am ready to get this started and finished when you are. Should I attempt to attack the boss? Chances are that if I get hit by it, it could kill me instantly. She said a little to plainly, almost as if she wasn't that worried about putting herself in mortal danger whatsoever.

@Mari

Mari shrugged her shoulders. "Don't mention it; honestly - it does me some good to get some sunlight." She lightly slapped her pale and freckled arms. "As ya can see- I'm as pale as a ghost. Could use some more vitamin D, right?" Mari said in a half-joking tone. The girl was quiet and reserved - she didn't seem to be one for much talking. That actually suited Mari just fine, she kinda preferred times where she didn't feel forced to talk to fill in the voids of silence that naturally fell between strangers. 

"You can attack it first if you want - we could probably spring it with an element of surprise." Mari replied to Shay's question. "I'd attack it straight after - so it wouldn't get a chance to attack - and if it did then I'd have generated more hate. Of course..." Mari paused as she pursed her lips. "On the very off chance that I miss... you'd be the one that had generated that hate. If you cannot survive a single hit from the Queen Bee- I'd err on the side of caution and not attack."

Mari gave Shay a nod; "Right. Let's go. If you have any questions just ask me along the way." Mari turned on her heel and gestured for Shay to follow. This would be a relatively simple outing.

@Shay

Shay's mind was set on the numbers. It was certain that if the wasp were to attack, she would die instantaneously to the boss. She wasn't afraid of dying, but that didn't mean she was going to just dive into suicide. No. As much as she would need practice to become strong, this party was meant to give her a head start on her leveling. Enough so that she could survive on her own.

"As much as I would enjoy helping you fight the boss. I just don't have the ability to survive if it lands a hit on me. I despise feeling so useless, but in this world its just as simple as numbers meaning strength. My numbers are too low." She sighed feeling like she should at least give it a try, but she was sure even Mari knew that it could be way too dangerous for her to try. "I took a look through my skills when I ordered my gear and do have a stun in my available sword arts... but it seems it requires too much energy for me to activate. I wouldn't hesitate to make an attempt if only I could use that sword art. Seems like an oversight."

The raven haired woman's tone continued to grow strained, clearly annoyed that she couldn't do anything useful. "I apologize that I must lean so heavily on you for this quest. If I continue to grow stronger, I will find a way to repay you for all this. Um, somehow."

@Mari

Mari nodded at her admission. "Honestly...that's just playing it smart. That is how this world works but..." Mari paused as she turned her eyes away from Shay, they landed on absolutely nothing just above her shoulder as Mari gazed into the distance. "But it's not everything this place has to offer - a lotta people forget that."  Many people were consumed  by getting stronger, and little else. Mari would almost count herself as one of those people - but she was doing her best to not be like that. Part of that was helping others - another part were the times she was able to spend with Macradon, just fooling around and enjoying things as they went.

"It does a bit, why would the system allow you to have a skill you aren't able to use?" Mari questioned as her eyes drifted back to Shay. "Still, no stress. I can take the thing out in a single hit. I'm not doing this to be repaid. I get the same experience you do. I just...want to try and atone for some things in the past." Mari turned on her heel as she gestured for Shay to follow. 

"C'mon then." She started to lead her through the grassy plains. "It's only about a 10 minute walk from here."

@Shay

Shay raised an eyebrow at the statement of her wanting to make up for something she had done in the past. She looked back up at the orange crystal and couldn't help thinking that it had something to do with that. She wouldn't keep that orange crystal for very long if she had just robbed some NPC store, so it was becoming pretty clear to even her that Mari might have killed a player character. Was murder in this world really real in the real world though? No one here really had an answer for that, but since people didn't respawn, it was highly likely that Kayaba wasn't kidding about people's brains being melted.

"It feels insanely intrusive of me to ask such a question, but have you killed people? Is that what you are trying to atone for? I'm not the best with my words, so I'm sorry but I don't know how to ask that quest more softly." She admitted it was probably something she shouldn't even ask. She doubted Mari had intended to kill her then after that confession. She wasn't afraid of dying, but she still felt pretty relieved that it wouldn't be decided here and now.

@Mari

"Yeh it is a little intrusive. Most people would get pretty sh**ty at you for asking it." Mari turned her head to glance at Shay. "Truth be told...if you had asked me a few months ago, I'd probably have told you to f**k off too." But this wasn't a few months ago...this was now, and slowly but surely Mari was bringing herself into a more positive mindset. Part of that mindset was no longer falling back into the past - no longer letting it consuming her, not running away from it but accepting that it was something that happened. "Yes." Mari said. "Not exactly because I wanted to, nor did I ever enjoy it -- but yes."  

Mari stopped just as they hit the flower fields, she lowered herself to a kneeling position and plucked a single flower from the ground. "I could make excuses about how I had no choice, but truth be told - there always is a choice. Shay - do you know the Trolley Dilemma? Would you knowingly kill one person to save three or five others?"  Mari let the flower go, watching it fall back among its brethren. "Would you do it twice, thrice? Even as the world around you denounces you each time - as they come after you - because you're deemed evil. Are your actions fair?"  Mari knew those questions were probably too philosophical for the restrained and aloof girl, but it was the best way she could answer the question. 

@Shay

Edited by Mari

Shay coughed awkwardly. [censored], she hoped she didn’t strike a nerve with her companion.

”I-I apologize for asking such a question. I must admit that I am bad when it comes to touchy topics like this.” She said, scratching the back of her head. Even her callous tone couldn’t hide how genuine her apology came. “The Trolley Dilemma. I’ve heard of it before. It’s a moral/practical test that makes people judge who and how many people should die in a situation that cannot be avoided, am I wrong?”

She didn’t wait for much of a reply to continue her statement, however.

”No human being should have to endure a decision like. If you have been put in that situation, I sincerely apologize for the distress you’ve had overcome. Unfortunately, it happened. Im sure you made your decision and you have moved on, or you are attempting to move on. Swallow you decisions and keep walking forward for now, yeah?” Shay put her hand on Mari’s shoulder and offered the best attempt at a comforting smile, even though it was blatantly obvious just how awkward this was for her. She’d never had to comfort someone like this before.

@Mari

The other woman apologized, coughing into her hand. Despite the apology, her demeanor barely changed. Distant, cool -aloof. She held herself as carefully and precariously as a ballerina upon their point. It was graceful in a way. Not many were able to carry themselves in such a manner.

"That...would make both of us." Mari said in response, knowing all too well how it felt. Struggling with the intricacies of social interaction. It wasn't that she was so introverted that she didn't socialize, it was her curt and honest view of things. Mari lacked the tact that was often required to talk to others. A small smile, the subtle tone and inflections...she wasn't very good at those - she acted on a mix of emotion and logic, and when those two mixed - they were like water and oil. That was Mari.

"There is never really moving on from those sort of things - but there is a sort of..acceptance that comes with it."   Mari paused in the middle of the field of flowers. "We're here, the Queen will eventually spawn just over the horizon, we will hear a loud buzzing sound signalling her arrival. All we need to do now is play the waiting game."

@Shay

The raven haired woman listened quietly as Mari explained her own view on these sort of things. Although she only said one thing on it, she could somewhat tell that the two of them had pretty much the same mentality on the matter. Shay was already bad enough at explaining her feelings or even just making simple small talk, so discussions like these went way over her head. She understood that Mari was saying that her killings, or at least some of them, were somewhat justifiable. Much better than just being a rabid murderer, or course.

"If the boss is soon to spawn, I'll stand back and keep my weapon ready in case something happens." The girl said quietly, taking her sword from its holster and taking a few steps back. Moments later, the wasp spawned just in front of Mari. It was massive compared to a regular sized wasp. Mari said she could handle it with no problem whatsoever, she hoped that was true.

@Mari

Mari watched as Shay pulled out her sword. Sometimes...Mari regretted being a dagger user - it was nice...in its own right - the people who chose the tiny weapon were few and far between. Hell, the only person Mari currently knew who had the weapon was Hikoru. So...it was enchanting in that aspect - owning a weapon that was shunned by the majority of the world. It was a feeling and sentiment that Mari could understand - but personifying a weapon type wasn't very smart.   And there were times...where she found herself frustrated with the small amount of damage she could do compared to her peers.  "That's a good call." Mari said to Shay.

Mari darted forward, her blade flashing with a light that almost seemed to follow her in a dancing trail, like a shooting star. As the Queen bee lowered herself to attack Mari sprang up, somersaulting over the Bee then digging the dagger into its back. The loud buzzing stopped as both Mari and the bee fell to the floor.

"There." Mari said as she put her dagger away, the less time it spent in her hands, the better she would feel - and she was sure Shay didn't want to see Mari slinging it around either.  "All beat." Mari bent down to pick up the loot and walked over to Shay, placing one in her hand.

"That's a Matriach's Stinger. It helps increase your damage by one."

@Shay

STATS
HP: 1090  |Energy:  100/106 | 
DAM: 11 | EVA 3  | MIT 43 | ACC 4 | 

ID:137333  BD: 2+ 4= 6 SUCCESS
11 x 7 = 77
[x7] Starlight Slash (6 Energy) - Leap over target, blade shimmering in the light as if light by moonlight, before slashing target from above.
WASP QUEEN | HP: 0/50 | DAM: 20
Damage per Attack: 20

Edited by Mari

Shay watched as Mari charged in leaping over her opponent with confidence and precision. It was pretty amazing, but she had more practice with the sword arts than Shay, or anyone she had met before. It was disheartening to know that she had absolutely no idea how to activate sword arts yet. As the overgrown bee fell to the ground and exploded into bits of code, the raven haired girl returned her sword to where it belonged and accepted the Stinger.

"Another consumable? I guess since you already have your own you wouldn't need this then. You really are a much nicer person than your cursor indicates. I feel like most orange players would, if not kill me, have taken anything they got for themselves." She said pocketing the stinger to her inventory. "I know this is a dumb question, but I have no idea how to activate and use sword arts. Would you be willing to teach me how to activate one? Seeing as how they are vital to my survival in the game, I want ample practice with someone who knows how it should be performed.

@Mari

"Oh, Uhm..." Mari tugged on her scarf. Shay thought that Mari was giving her the only loot drop. "Don't mistake this - I get one of them too. The boss drops one for each member. But...in all honesty even if it only dropped for me I'd give it to you anyway. Since you're right - it's just something that I'd craft up."  She would prefer if there were no misunderstandings between them, the biggest issue when it came to conflict... was miscommunication, to Mari - people rarely ever used their words - and when they started to weave lies into what they say...that's when things would swirl out of control and become a tangled mess of a sh*tshow.

"Its..ah..its...difficult..." Mari said, a little flustered at Shay's compliment, Mari never really saw herself as a nice person. "You should be wary of people with an orange cursor. You don't know what they've done. I get the whole benefit of the doubt mentality a lotta people seem to have, but it's also a little unnerving to see how easygoing people are around me lately...especially when they don't know me."

It was then that Shay asked if Mari could teach her something. There was that word again...there was that ideal. To be able to train or tutor someone...Mari was becoming more and more used to the idea that maybe, just maybe she'd do a decent enough job to agree with Macradon. "I..I guess I could do that."

But how?

"Ah." Mari opened up her HUD and selected the duel request - and set the parameters for a win as the 'first hit'  "Hang on..." Mari pulled out her dagger and chucked it, it landed several metres away amongst a pile of yellow flowers, she then took off her leather harness and threw it right by the dagger, the last thing she needed was to accidentally burn someone to death just because they asked for her help. "Use me to practice on. I won't fight back. But I also understand if you don't trust me."

With the duel request still open, Mari moved to a different window in her HUD. "You probably only have one or two to choose from at the moment, sometimes you need to meet certain parametres...but you can select the option here - and with a few clicks...you can essentially uhm..hotbar it to your weapon."  Mari demonstrated what she meant with movement - but she couldn't actually set anything to a weapon she wasn't holding.  

Mari new stats:

HP: 1090  |Energy: 106 | DAM: 1 | EVA 1  | MIT - | ACC 4 | 

@Shay

Edited by Mari

Shay listened to Mari explain that orange cursor players should be avoided for others. It felt kind of odd to hear that coming from her since she was the one who actually messaged the request board to help lower players. If Mari wanted to kill Shay, she could do it with her bare fists right now, or she could of done it the exact moment Shay came into view and she first found out Mari was an orange player. She could try and run, but she was sure Mari would have caught her.

"I would like to remind you that you were the one who put the offer on the request board. I couldn't tell what cursor you had until I met you out here. I'm 100% certain that if you wanted to murder me you could do it with little to no trouble right now, or you could have done it sooner. I may not be good at reading people Mari but I am at least practical." Shay explained as she went to hotkey the sword art to her weapon. She accepted the duel and readied herself to strike Mari. Her sword shined blood red, ready to unleash its attack. She slashed past Mari, only to barely miss her opponent. The glow faded afterwards.

"Well, that's rather embarrassing.

@Mari

Shay misses.

image.png.5154fc5b64d855b729e47434bf978f14.png

Shay
Level: 1 | HP:  20/20 | Energy: 0/2

Stats
DMG: 3 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 1

Mari
HP: 1090/1090  | Energy: 106/106 

DAM: 1 | EVA 1  | MIT - | ACC 4 

Edited by Shay

Mari nodded, Shay was right - she had put that request up. "Mmm... true, true - I just worry about things I guess. I never said I was wise, I can often by a hypocritical ass."

It was then that Shay had accepted the duel. Mari watched as Shay carefully went through her HUD, checking her list and then picking up her weapon. It shimmered a deep red, good she had managed to activate the sword art. It was very difficult for Mari to not move - instinct dictated that she should. Not many would willingly stand perfectly still as they watched someone charge at them with a big ass glowing sword. Still. Mari held still. It was Shay who had missed.

"That...happens sometimes." Mari corrected. "It's embarrassing sure - but the point is you gave it a go. Like, how many people can say they went up against someone over 50 levels above them?" Mari asked as she turned from Shay to glance toward the flower field. "You didn't hesitate in the face of adversary. You pushed forward and you gave it your all."  Mari dusted herself off.  The duel was still active. She wished she had her items. It felt...better when she had them with her. It wasn't that Mari felt vulnerable, it was that each item held such sentimental value to her, that it almost hurt her to just toss them like that. Mari turned to look back at Shay.  "That sort of quality is what sets the casual fighter apart from those at the frontlines. So yeh, its embarrassing, but it happens. That's not what you should focus on. Now, the fight is still active. Try again, regular attack now since you don't have enough energy, right?"

@Shay

Shay scrunched a bit. Even if it was part of the game to miss, she felt pretty embarrassed to have missed an immobile target that was basically presenting them self to be attacked. She took a deep breath and made her next attack just after Mari finished her last sentence. She turned on her heel with a quick 180 turn and slashed through Mari's stomach. A small red cut formed on ginger haired woman that mocked a real world wound.

Shay's raven coloured hair settled in front of her face. She knew she shouldn't pose like that in battle, but the winner icon appeared in front of her. She put her sword away and stood up.

"I'm not afraid of dying, as I said before. If I die in this world, I was either too weak, or maybe I just wasn't cut out to see the end of it. It sounds harsh, maybe, but I believe I'm strong." She admitted it was probably a dumb way to think, but that was just her view on it. She walked over to the dagger that was on the ground, picked it up and offered it to Mari.

@Mari

image.png.1939475f6c4c3529cb74dbc19d07ddeb.png

Shay
Level: 1 | HP:  20/20 | Energy: 0/2

Stats
DMG: 3 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 1

Mari
HP: 1087/1090  | Energy: 106/106 

DAM: 1 | EVA 1  | MIT - | ACC 4 

Edited by Shay

YOU LOOSE

The words flashed up in front of Mari in big red letters, as if to mock her. But Mari didn't really care - she closed up the window. Then shifted her gaze to Shay. The girl was...a little odd to say the least, but hey, so was Mari. The second attack was quick and ruthless - the raven haired woman didn't hesitate. "See, got there eventually." Mari offered, but her words sounded more like they were condescending Shay than anything else. Mari cleared her throat and tried to correct herself. "I mean - you've gotten the chance to play around with some Sword Arts at least, and once you're say level 3-4 you will be able to practice more on boars. If you need a test dummy just give me a shout."

"You say that, but deep down - I think everyone is afraid of dying, even just a little - that's just basic instinct." Mari said to Shay. "But that's moot. Since you believe you are strong. You don't show hesitation, that's more than many can do." Mari reached out and gave Shay a pat on the top of her head.

It was then that Shay picked up the dagger for Mari. Mari accepted it then went and picked up her harness. Placing it on her. "I suppose that's it for now. I didn't really ask for anything in particular in the Player Request board..." SHe shifted her eyes away. "A good favour would be to I unno, comment on it and vouch that I'm not an insane psychopath. But - that's up to you." Mari gave Shay a wave.

"Take care."

And with that, the two parted ways.