[PP-F2] Excuse me? Where did you GET that? This is some A grade level Poopydinks.

Ahh...the joys of being a PKer...a glimmering orange crystal above your head - little food, and the ability, nay the obligation to walk absolutely everywhere...

Mari had just finished helping Cordelia train up her familiar...familiars? The strange bird duo with a hive mind. So, she now had to trek back to the fourth floor. The long way. It was a shame the lower floors were so wide and expanse - it took twice as long to traverse up them as it did some of the higher floors. Mari sat propped up against a rock within the High Fields of Crossing - an unguarded safe zone.  Whilst none of the monsters on this floor would bother her level wise - it would bother her to interrupt the meal she was currently eating.

Mari wasn't entirely sure what it was ...the player who sold it to her named it, fa...fee...she coldn't remember. She leisurely picked at it. A Brown bowl filled with a stew of blackbeans, beef and pork.  the strew was served over steaming hot rice - something she wasn't sure matched it. But, food was food - and she couldn't be picky. It wasn't quite to her tastes, she partly wished she didn't buy two of the things.  Eyes bigger than your stomach, or so they say. At least it smelt good.

She had gotten it from a traveling merchant player - what an interesting job to take. ALthough Mari knew the seedy bastard had charged her double if not triple, just because she had an orange crystal. But she couldn't blame him. He was probably testing her - and knew that PKers were short on food. So naturally they'd pay anything for a hot meal. Yup. That was Mari.  She sighed as she bought another spoonful to her mouth.

At least its peaceful here.

@Morgan

Having learnt how to pick flowers in an open field, Morgan was one step closer to being what the kids called a pro gamer. Though he still had no idea what the point of all the intricacies were for. He much preferred the mobile games he downloaded on his phone back home. But here he was, looking for... flowers... to pick... Morgan shook his head and hid his shame with the palm of his hand. "What has my life come to." He mumbled to himself.

Well those flowers wouldn't pick themselves, he thought as he made his way to the crossing fields. Zakariah had told him there were plenty of herbs to be found among the tall grass in that location. Though, trekking this far from the town of beginning was more than he was used to and he was already thirsty for some beer. Without the constantly supply flowing into his muzzle the fact he never actually ate anything became more apparent with the grumbling of his stomach. But... what was that smell?

*sniff*

*sniff sniff*

Morgans pupils enlarged, and his face became serious with determination. "Feijoada." He whispered with sly determination. His eyes darted left and right. He knew that smell anywhere. He would kill for a taste of home, the dish which warmed a poor mans stomach in the slums of Sintra during its freezing winters. 

Morgan let his nose carry him through the fields, like a dog searching for its next meal. As he made his way over a hill and climb on top of an abnormally large rock, there it was. In the hands of some ginger lady who looked down on the dish like it were some average meal to be scrounged up and eaten when there was nothing better available. "You! Where did you get your hands on that Feijoada?!" He called out from the top of the boulder, pointing right at her.

The woman with locks of orange looked at his with a mixture of confusion and aversion. "What the [censored] did you just call me ass hat?" 

"No, not you silly woman, the food in your hands which you do not understand that value of. FEI-JU-A-DA" He sounded out for her. "It's the food of my people! Please I must know!"

@Mari

"Oh....Ohhh..Yeh....uh..." Mari jutted a thumb behind her back.  "Sorry to disappoint but it was a travelling merchant player probably about an hour ago - so he's either back down in town or off on another floor extorting some other sad sack of a player like myself."

The man before her looked like he only just managed to crawl out of bed, or perhaps a pile of cardboard boxes down a back alley. Not to say he was ugly by any means - just..unkempt - but Mari figured she probably looked just as bad, if not worse. He wore a long dark cape and had fuzzy facial hair. He definitely looked older than many of the other players she met. "The food of your people is quite pungent, not a bad smell, just strong. Speaking off - did you bathe in beer?" Mari asked as she lifted another spoonful to her mouth and chewed.

She couldn't help but notice the quiver of his lip as his tongue darted out to lick them - and how tired blue eyes watched. Literally fixated on her spoon, following it up to her mouth as she ate. If Mari didn't know any better she'd almost say she heard a whimper from the man - but that could just have been her imagination.  She finished chewing and swallowed.

"Ya know I got another bowl."

@Morgan

Wuh-what, an hour ago! Morgan internally screamed, steadily lowering his pointed finger in defeat. The merchant could be anywhere by now, handing out bowls of heaven like they were hotdogs. He hated hotdogs. Morgan bit his tongue as she accused him of bathing in beer. "I did no such thing, just got a little on my coat is all." He said dismissively, unaware of just how beer stained it really was. Good thing it was black. 

Morgan watched helplessly as she ate another spoonful, the stew of beans and pork resting seductively on a bed of rice soaked in its juices which rolled onto her tongue with each spoonful. He swallowed hard as she did, as if he were the one eating the magnificence before him only to be defeated when the flavor never came. He collapsed his knees onto the surface of the rock. 

Did she say, another bowl? What was she hinting at? That she'd be willing to give him one? Or that she would torture him for longer yet? Either way he would not let the chance slip him by. Morgan stumbled off from the top of the rock landing without grace to the grass below, his head buried into the ground in a begging position. This was how you were supposed to beg in japan right? "P-please! May I indulge in this feast with you!? The meal which was gifted to mere mortals to enjoy! I'll do anything you ask!" 

@Mari

Edited by Morgan

"Little?" Mari scoffed as she set her own bowl aside and grabbed his cloak, which had fallen over her lap. A look of disgust on her face. "I know I sound rude but this thing is drenched in it." She said as she let go of the material, throwing it to the side so it hung over him and not over her bare legs. Mari wiped her hand on her scarf. Nasty. It didn't feel wet, but it did feel...crusty. She didn't think that was possible. "You know you can un-equip the item and equip it again to get rid of that gunk."

He started to beg, and it made Mari feel uncomfortable. "W-what do you think you're doing? You're a grown man..bloody hell." Mari lifted her foot and nudged him away. "If you bloody stop that you can have the damn bowl. Please just...stop that."   Mari opened up her HUD and took out the other bowl, she carefully put it at her side, it was too hot to just hand to him. "Here, look. it's yours. Geez. You act like you don't eat."

Mari pointed her spoon at the crystal above his head. "You shouldn't have a problem finding food. So what's with the puppy dog act?"

@Morgan

Morgan watched sheepishly as she tossed aside his cloak, revealing a v neck shirt made from linen with leather shoulder pads and bracers. The v neck exposed his hair filled chest, luckily for the woman in front him this shirt wasn't beer stained, not really sure what she meant about the equipping and equipping removing gunk or whatever. 

The important part however was the fact that she was giving him the bowl for free. Victory was his. He straightened his posture and greedily grabbed the bowl beside her, not particularly caring that it was burning his hands. "Senhora you are an angel from above." His demeanor calmed as he dug the spoon into the bowl, scooping out a heaping on the dish and shoving it into his mouth with gluttony. He almost moaned as the flavors touched his tongue, relieving him of years of missing. "Simply heavenly." He added as he finished chewing and swallowing.

As the food filled his stomach he looked up at the crystal she pointed at, adding that he should be able to find food easily. While that should be the case, he wasn't exactly an aficionado at the game. "Mm. Well, I haven't really moved from the tavern in... a while." He quickly added as to not reveal the exact length of time. Though it'd be obvious by residue of beer which lingered on her fingers after touching his cloak. "To be honest with you I'm one of the people that decided to hell with this game when Kayba locked us all in, still a level 1 with little knowledge on how this game works I'm afraid. I make enough money to buy beer selling useless junk, and I call it a day. Spend the next drinking." He added while shoving another helping into his mouth, sheer pleasure filling him with each bite. "I didn't think it was possible for this game to have... this." He lifted the bowl in his hands as a gesture to it. "Perhaps it'd be worth actually learning."

@Mari

Mari placed her ow bowl to the side, she wasn't particularly fond of the food that he so desperately yearned for. Instead Mari placed an elbow on her knee, resting her chin in it as she watched him eat - at least he wasn't talking with his mouth full or chewing with it open - she half expected him to do that. "Trust me, I ain't no angel." She paused as he reveled in the taste. Allowing him his moment. "You can have mine too, I'm not really enjoying it - a little thick on the flavour for my tastes."

"A while..." Mari repeated incredulously. "So, you're clearly a people person. Brimming with that sparkling personality of yours." She quipped. Mari found it incredibly easy to talk to this person - maybe because he didn't give a crap about her and was more worried about his food. Or maybe it was because he was older so she felt less inclined to protect him - although him being level one was a little discerning. "Mmm... There's a lot of interesting things here. I hear there's a town higher up that offers dragon steak - shame I can't go in to try it." She shifted her gaze to his bowl. Damn, already half empty. "The game has a lot of dishes from all over the world. I take it you don't even have a profession, do you? You're not really one for games, huh?" Mari gave him a small smile. "Well, picked a pretty sh*tty game to kill some time in, eh?"

@Morgan

Morgan eye'd the partly eaten bowl of feijoada which she kept beside her for him later. He wouldn't object, it was her loss. He let out a 'HA' through a mouth full of beans and rice as she sarcastically called him a people person. It was true to some degree, he wasn't exactly the shining example of charm and grace when it came to socializing even though it was his job to be. 

Though as she spoke he picked up on subtleties in her speech. "You can say that again. I just play them to pass the time, didn't expect to get stuck in this... uhh, swell something or other." He would have said something more intelligible but it was more effort than it was worth to get the obvious message across. He shoveled another bite into his mouth as he thought more on her words. "I'm assuming a profession is like some kind of job in the game? Can't imagine why someone would play a game to go to work. What's stopping you from this dragon steak you seem curious about?" He added. He pointed his spoon up at her crystal in retaliation to her pointing earlier. "Wouldn't have something to do with that big orange crystal above you would it? What'd you get it for, dining and dashing too many times?" 

@Mari

Mari blinked.

Dumbfounded.

"You..." Did he not know what...right....right...there were players like that weren't there? Mari mumbled as she tore her face away from him. How do you just casually bring that up in conversation? Things had been going so well too. Dammit. Still...these were her sins to bear - and she knew it wouldn't be easy, never had been. "I'll answer that but first, can you bring up your HUD? Like...your menu?" He nodded and wiped his mouth with the back of his arm. As he did what he was asked Mari shifted off the rock to look over his shoulder.

"Ah, your names Morgan. I'm Mari."  Now that introductions were out the way, she had to...had to get him to fix that damn coat. "Here where it says equipment, press that." He did with an amused snort. "Ok, now select your cloak, good - and press remove."  He blinked in disbelief as it disappeared. Leaving his arms and more of his chest exposed.

"Ok, now click that again, and put it back on." Morgan did so, and the coat reappeared. Fresh. Clean. Mari gave a sigh of relief. "I think I just did the future of this place a favour. As for the crystal well..."

Mari swallowed. Feeling her throat tighten. "It's...not pleasant. I'm known as a Player Killer, or uhm. In Laymans terms I've taken a life. If it makes you uncomfortable I'll take  my leave."

@Morgan

Morgan wasn't exactly sure how the game just magically gave his cloak a complete wash and dry clean but he wouldn't question it considering it wasn't exactly the most outlandish thing he'd seen so far. He once saw a player walking around with a small boar in their pocket, now that was ridiculous. "Huh well would you look at that, didn't even have to press it." He turned his shoulders as he looked behind him to examine the whole quality. He'd definitely keep that in mind to rid himself of beer stains in the future.

What followed next definitely wasn't something he was expecting, admitting to killing someone else. The words used 'player killer'? Kayaba did state if you died in the game you died for real, and if that was the case a player could kill another as if they were murdering someone in real life. It was troubling to think about, but he could tell from her expression that it weighed heavily on her. Almost as if she were remorseful for her actions. Though it wasn't the first time someone confessed murder to him and he kept the sacred seal of confession every time.

Morgan cleared his throat and put aside his meal, making a sign of the cross in front of the woman. "By the power invested in me by the God almighty, I absolve you of your sin. You have committed a mortal sin, but by the love of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven." Morgan smirked and picked back up his feijoada and took another mouthful. "That means you're not allowed to do it again or you'll go to hell I'm afraid." 

@Mari

"What are you? Some sort of priest!?" Mari snapped after his words. She sighed, holding the bridge of her nose. "Sorry... no... Sorry that was really rude of me. I just wasn't expecting that." She said as she lowered her hand, exhaling. It was strange to have someone just start muttering some religious right, especially since that someone had stunk of beer moments before - and had bits of rice stuck to his face. "Sins." Mari corrected. "So..I'm going to hell either way, right?" Mari asked softly as she moved her eyes to meet the sky. "When we get out of here, I'll probably go to jail - then from there, hell. So I may as well try to help others here - and keep looking at the sky whilst I can. Commit that sh*t to memory."

A silence fell between them, if you ignored the sounds of Morgan eating that is. He didn't seem too bothered by her admission. Mari wasn't sure how she felt about that. Shouldn't be be angry? Annoyed? "Death is light as a feather, but a duty heavy as a mountain." She repeated the words that Baldur would tell her. "It's so easy to take a life, but that washes the colour of our crystals an angry orange. It stains our souls - and I don't think even god himself could clean it. It's not up to them - it's up to us. As individuals."

@Morgan

Morgan chuckled, licking his lips as he downed the contents in his mouth. "Last time I checked God was the one who decided if you went to hell or not. And as his mouthpiece with invested power by the Church, a missionary, I have forgiven your sins on his behalf. Whether you believe it or not is up to you. The amount of sins you commit doesn't matter, so long as when you repent you make the commitment to abstain from that sin again, that's your duty. The guilt that wears your face is punishment enough while you live, the soul that was given to you by God punishes us for our misdeeds for him until we die. That is the price of the consciousness and knowledge we obtained through the original sin." Morgan looked down into his now empty bowl, attempting to scrounge the last grain of rice as the bowl dissipated in front of his eyes. "I hate when that happens."

He grabbed Mari's unfinished bowl. "Thank you for the meal." Morgan had spoken solemnly as he dug into his next serving. He was beginning to grow full, a satisfaction he hadn't felt in awhile. It seemed this troubled woman had been through a lot, but the fact that she didn't just attack him and was ready to leave in his consideration was enough proof that it wasn't something she enjoyed. He wasn't sure what her opinion was on his religion, not that it mattered, the messages it brought and the benefits it gave outweighed the questionings of its legitimacy. 

@Mari

"Yeh well, Gods a bit of an asshole- isn't he?" Mari asked, a rhetorical question. "Not meaning to uh... belittle your religion - I've read some passages on the bible - and ya gotta admit. The guy is a bit of a dillweed."  Yeh, like saying that was any better... Mari really didn't meant to upset him. Especially since he was some sort of missionary. It was literally his job to spread the word of his god and here she was insulting his deity, right after he had absolved her of her sins.

"I thought for my sins to be absolved I had to be a member of the church?" Mari asked. This time it was curiosity that spared the question, rather than bitterness.  "I'm not exactly sure which religion, and forgive my ignorance for it - but it sounds like...Catholicism?" Mari watched as he reached for the second bowl and started eating that too. She didn't mind too much - if she hadn't eaten in a long time, she'd have done the same. Rather, she had done the same. The ginger haired woman walked round Morgan, giving him a wide berth so he didn't become suspicious of her moving behind his back - she shifted till she was in front of him again then took a seet in the grass opposite him. Still giving the both of them plenty of personal space.

"Does that mean you're celibate?" She asked. "Ah...is that rude?"  She was curious, and she wanted to shift the focus from her to something, anything else.

@Morgan

"Roman Catholic to be precise." It seemed his company wasn't very fond of religion, or at least God itself. Which was interesting for him considering people usually had it the other way around. "Hmm, well the dilweed which you speak of gave life to all things so I suppose it cannot be so bad. Any action God commits can always be rationalized through human sin. If we are so flawed and made in his image, who are we to judge? Should we not strive to be better than he? Of course we were given Christ, his son, to set that example for him." 

Morgan sighed and leaned back on his hands, letting the bowl rest in his lap. He didn't expect after all this time to still be preaching. "And no, God forgives all sins, even if you haven't been baptisted into the church, you are still his child. Becoming part of a church is well..." He would have said choice, but he knew that wasn't the case for him. He was born into the life and it was the only path forward for him. "It's a commitment. A show of respect for someone who gave you everything. There are believers who do not partake in sacraments, they aren't to be condemned by their lack of devotion; just in the same way you would not hit your dog for digging up your yard. We're all lost sheep, doing the best we can to live moral lives. Sometimes we lose our way." 

Morgan chuckled at her next question, it was somewhat strange someone would ask a priest if they were a celibate. "Well my position requires me to be. So I suppose I am. Abstaining from sexual desire makes the church more approachable, though it isn't exactly a sin to fall in love and want to have children of your own some day." Morgan gave a brief crooked smile before digging back into his food. Though he said it wasn't a sin, he felt the irresponsibility of his parents actions could have been avoided if they just stayed celibate.

@Mari

Edited by Morgan

Mari held her tongue; she hated being preached to, but she knew she dug her own grave when she asked a priest of all people questions in regards to his religion. At first appearance, he really didn't strike Mari as the godly type yet here he was preaching. Every second word out of his mouth had something to do with his belevolent god.  Of course, Mari was agnostic- she didn't believe in any particular religion, but she thought there was something and seeing the suffering of others. Mari decided that whatever was out there, was a downright asshole. She wanted to retort to his statements. Would an innocent child deserve to die of disease just for the sins of others? How was that fair? Mari very much doubted there was any man, woman, or religion who could easily sway her to believe otherwise.

"Look, I didn't mean to insult okay..." Mari mumbled, shifting her gaze to the ground. Rationalizing all the pain and suffering of innocent lives... what a crock.

"Sorry I asked..." Mari said with a sigh. "You're kinda barking up the wrong tree Morgan - I doubt there is anything you can say that'd sway what I feel - but like... I respect what you do. If religion can bring someone solace and happiness - and give their lives meaning I'd be a downright b**tch to try and tell them otherwise."

So he was celibate? Damn  Not being able to kiss anyone, to love or hold them? It sounded lonely - although Morgan seemed like he'd just look at a picture of his god and be perfectly fine with that - and that in its own way, was fine. It wasnt something she understood - but again. Mari wouldn't judge.

"Trust me, that ain't what its cracked up to be - you'd be better off Celibate." Mari said as she leaned back to lie among the grass, using her arms as a makeshift pillow.

@Morgan

Morgan shrugged. "As they say in my country Cada macaco no seu galho. Or in your language, each monkey to its own branch." He knew people had their doubts, and it was hard not to. As a missionary it was his job to preach and bring people to the church, but as a person all he desired was peace. It wasn't exactly like he was the shining example of a sin-free morally centered person, not even an hour ago he was drowned in his vices. As such, he couldn't really judge anyone for their choices, as Jesus once said.. “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” He whispered under his breath. 

Of course Mari would add her own piece of advice, to stay celibate, something that was a touchy topic for him already. "Well, I wondered that about my parents. They'd have been better off if they stayed celibate. But if they did I wouldn't exist, so I guess I should be grateful for the life I do have. There's something disturbingly beautiful about falling in a type of love that drives people crazy enough to throw their lives away. Such is the longing to fill the emptiness inside us. I suppose to gain something from sacrifice, you need something to lose." His mind trailed off thinking on sacrifice and sadness.

"But that's the thing about life isn't it? Without the sadness you cannot really know what happiness is like, what it's like not to be sad." As Morgan spoke he finished the last bowl, feeling full and satisfied. "Without hunger, one cannot know the sincere pleasure of feijoada. And without poverty, one cannot know the joys of generosity." He added with wistful smile, lifting the bowl she gave him in generosity as it faded into pixels. 

@Mari

Mari snorted as she watched thick clouds, puffy and white roll above her. The irony of him calling people monkeys whilst being a creationist was not lost on her. But she didn't say anything of the matter, she knew better than that. She got the sentiment of his words at least, 'to each their own' in other words - let others live their lives. It was something she could agree on. "I won't be castin' any stones thats for sure." Mari quipped. "May get hit by a few though." She joked. Come to think of it, someone did throw a protein bar at her head a few weeks back - that had been...annoying.

"You really think they were?" Mari asked. "If they were happy, then would they really have been better off? And as you say - you're around now."  Right, from his words it sounded like his father may also have been some sort of priest. "I don't think falling in love is crazy..." Mari said. She wasn't sure if she still believed in love, not with her track record. When she would think back on the only two people she ever felt that way about..it had ended terribly. Both completely breaking her heart, still she could at least admire the way others felt about each other from afar, seeing how happy it made others - surely it was not a crazy thing. "We all make our own sacrifices in one way or another, I think."

"I'll never get used to how things do that..." Mari said quietly as she shut her eyes. "Just bursting into shards of nothing, right in our hands. I don't know how I feel about it really. There are times this place feels so real, but then there are instances like that and we remember we're all trapped here."

@Morgan

"I suppose its a reminder not to forget our duty to each other." Morgan said as he blew air through his nose in amusement. He had spent all his time wasted in a bar and now he was preaching about duty and what was their job to do as players in the game. He must have had some strong feijoada that was for sure. But then there was her other question. "Well..." he began.

"When your mother was a nun, and your father a priest. Knowing you'd be excommunicated for having a child is kind of crazy, is it not? Especially when you do not have the means to raise the child and give it up the church instead? Or how about pretending your child was an immaculate conception just so you had enough time to give birth on sanctuary and labor in a safe environment? I'd say it's at least a little deranged." He didn't usually just go telling people about his parental issues but it wasn't like it was something he was grieving about. 

"Well in any case they made their choices, and now they're paying for it in poverty. Meanwhile I lived a life handed to me at birth. It isn't a bad life, but I didn't really have much of a choice, and here I am in a new one, again without choice. Though I suppose no one made me put on the nerve gear." Morgan shrugged. "I think I'd like to personally know one day what it takes to drive someone mad like that."

@Mari

Edited by Morgan

"Love makes us irrational. It's irrevocable - undeniable and we'd be mad to try and convey it in words. It's not something  to be spoken about, its something to be felt. IT's the greatest thing in the world, but also the most terrible."  Mari shook her head, the grass tickling her ears.  She didn't know what to say, hearing about how his parents abandoned him - and now they lived in poverty.

"I dunno what to say to that." She said truthfully. "I don't think having a child...knowing you'd be excommunicated is necessarily a bad thing. I understand rules are broken - but I don't think it a sin to fall in love. Wanting what is best for your child isn't really a bad thing either..." Mari rolled onto her stomach and pushed herself off the ground. GInger locks fell neatly about her shoulders as she shifted her cerulean eyes to him. "I know I'd lie to keep my child safe. Giving her up though? I don't think I'd ever be able to do that so easily..."  Mari probably shouldn't be sympathizing with the people who clearly left him - but as a mother she couldn't really help it.

"You say you lived a life handed to you at birth. Maybe they knew this - maybe they sacrified everything so you could have all that you do. You wanna know what drove them? Love. For you, and for each other. Least, that's what I think."

@Morgan

Morgans gaze drifted as she spoke, trying to rationalize his abandonment. Perhaps there was a reason for it, even if love seemed like a ridiculous one. Though he hadn't need to look any further than God to understand that love makes for less than desirable circumstance. He'd just have to live with the cards dealt to him, and be over it. "Right, perhaps I'd like to know that feeling someday then." Morgan picked himself up, his cloak straightening itself out as he did, mirroring the strangers action. It appeared their time together was coming to an end, he got to eat wonderful food and exchange thoughts with a fellow player. Though perhaps he'd like a beer before calling it a day.

"Thank you for the feijoada Mari, It was a pleasant experience getting to share a meal with you and talk about the lord and life's many mysteries. I think I'll need to do a few more tutorial quests to get the hang of game. Maybe I'll bumb into you again one day down the road and repay your kindness." Morgan placed his hand over his heart and bowed respectfully to her before heading back towards the path to the town of beginnings, he had intended to gather some more materials but he had bigger things to think about for the time being. "Oh yeah just remember no more killing or you're going to hell for real. Chao." He waved his hand back as he walked off, he had another quest to do.

@Mari

Edited by Morgan