[PP-F4] Gentle Fall Like Snow

Snow, it melts away under the sun. Little things that when falling consistently they can hinder the path for anyone, make everything cold, or make animals hide. One floor, in particular, had this season or rather always snowy and some places battered by blizzards. It's not the best place for those who aren't used to cold weather, but a good amount of players chose to be there. Snowfrost remained as it was, snow-white. layers of snow have been so commonplace that it would be weird if the settlement didn't live up to its name. People were there, NPCs, players, carts, and even houses which some are shops that players run. As players walk from one point to another, one player shivered at the weather, Crozeph. He hasn't changed his clothing as he entered floor 4. While his clothes provided enough warmth to his body, his feet however decided that his body is all cold instead of his brain. Crozeph walked on the streets of Snowfrost, stopping at any bonfire or furnace that he would see, and more stupidly stand somewhere where a torch is lit. Why was he here? he didn't care but he wanted to see someone again, he plans to make it frequent until the coldness of the floor didn't bother him anymore.

Crozeph wore his usual garb, a yukata, and wooden sandals. Over the yukata is a haori with an oak brown color and on his right side his katana, its white hilt mixing with the color of the snow. it took him a few hours before he made it out of Snowfrost and his cold hell begins now, not that it was the floor's fault. Crozeph walked through snow thick enough for his sandals to bury on the ground, The cold made him shiver, and even with his <<Survival>> skill it still felt like snow, his health remained fine and that is fine with him. The snow fell on his head and shoulder, it was quite a heavy fall today and it only took a few minutes for his raven-black hair to be mixed with the snow in color. His only mark for a destination is a house, just somewhere around a lake and that was enough for him, if he ever got lost because of how the snow made everything look alike he'd just send her a message but for now he plans to visit without notice.

1 HOUR LATER

Crozeph saw it, a cottage just by the lake. His hair almost covered in snow and his arms inside the sleeves of his haori. He finally reached it, her house. A cottage, small yet it looked cozy in his eyes "is this where Jack and Jill saw witch or is this where Goldilocks stole some food" he uttered as he stood by the door telling himself a joke, he was drawn into it as if he saw a place where he could rest easy. Crozeph reached out his hand and knocked he saw warm lights inside as he looked "what a nice place in an unforgiving weather" he thought, he didn't shake the snow off his head and shoulder, he must've grown numb a little bit from the cold and if someone were to open the door if someone is in there, Crozeph covered in snow and shivering would be the first to see in the front door "it's a heavy fall today" he muttered.

@Mari

Stats

• Level: 22
  • HP: 440/440 I Energy: 44/44 I MIT: 8 I EVA:2 I ACC: 0 I + 1 Savvy

Skills

• Curved Sword R1
  • Katana R4
  • Light Armor R2
  • Battle Healing R3
  • First Aid R1
  • Survival [extra]
  • Meditation [Extra]

Equips

• Bleeding Dove +3 damage
  • Yagyu's Legacy +2 EVA +1 Savvy
  • Kuro Yukata +3 LD
  • wooden sandals [vanity]
Edited by Crozeph

The knock came as a surprise to Mari. Her eyes rose to the door as she stared at the wood intently - like the intensity of her stare would reveal whoever was standing behind it. Who was visiting her? Mari tried to go through the people in her head. Macradon wouldn't visit without messaging her...and he still didn't know where her home was - then there was Oikawa, she guessed  he might visit? But The tall sun-kissed man seemed like the type who would announce his arrival in a lavish manner. Who else was there? Crozeph? She did extend the offer but she doubted he'd ever accept it. Maybe...Baldur? Did he come to visit?

Mari scrambled up and out from the Kotatsu. She probably looked a mess. Her usual attire was gone, replaced with a thick Yukata - its golden material adorned with images of swimming koi fish. She wore a loosely tied red obi around her waist - and her hair which usually hung loose at her shoulders was tied up in a high ponytail to keep it out of her eyes. Crap.Crap. Crap. She shook her head, telling herself this was fine. 

Three broad steps bought her to the door, when she opened it - she saw a familiar set of blue eyes beneath a mat of dark hair, it was just not the eyes she was expecting. "C-Crozeph?" Mari asked as she stared at him. His ears, nose and  fingers were tinged red and snow was piled on his head. "W-what..." Mari reached out and pulled him in. "Get in here, it must be freezing out there." Mari let him go as she gently shut the door behind her. 

"Sorry, I wasn't expecting anyone today." She glanced at the Kotatsu which was covered in various papers - she was researching various builds and skills so she'd be better suited for the frontlines. "Uh..." She scratched the back of her head. "Here - take a seat under the Kotatsu, its heated and will quickly warm you up." Mari turned from him to head to the fire, she threw another log onto it. It crackled and popped with a newfound energy.

"Today, I have Royal Milk Tea." Mari said. It seemed giving her visitors tea as they talked was becoming commonplace. "What brings you here, Crozeph?"

Spoiler

General
Level: 66 | HP: 1350  |Energy: 132

STATS

DAM: 16 | EVA 3  | MIT 43 | ACC 4 | 

BATTLE COPY

Mari    [H:0/0/0] - HP 1350/1350  | EN: 132/132 | DMG: 16 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  | BH: 67 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)
Light Armor Mod Athletics -  Gain +1 base damage and +30 HP when wearing light armor
SURVIVAL
Rank 5 Battle Healing (5% of total health rounded down start of each turn)
Familiar Mastery Expert - +1 (*Tier) Damage - +9 Damage

EQUIPPED
Name: 
Kusanagi | Item Type: Dagger | Tier 2
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Burn 2
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'
'Burn Damage' of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10 - Unmitigated

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking enemy.

@Crozeph

Edited by Mari

It seems that the numbness that he's feeling is the result of frostbite or rather if he didn't arrive a few minutes early he would've froze himself under the snow, it won't kill him but he'd be sending a message to Mari to find him and that would make him look pathetic. The snow on his head was shaken off when Mari pulled him in, it got warmer as he is inside and that gave him feeling of safety "not really I just had the worse set of footwear for this floor"  he told her. As he made his way to one of the kotatsu, he noticed how it was a small room and a fireplace. He sat and nodded as Mari offered him tea, he was still shivering and also he didn't have any preferences on tea... he would drink anything with tea on it. Crozeph felt his feet get warmer as Mari threw another log into the fireplace. He let out a sigh of relief as he felt his body get warm. "Sorry to come without notice, I was planning to send you a message but I was already cold the moment I set foot at Snowfrost" he told her. He had been staying on anything with heat as soon as he entered the floor, a miscalculation that is not normal for someone like him. "I forgot how cold this place was" he added.

Crozeph that Mari had a different look on her today "I just wanted to see if you''re doing fine" he told her as she asked why he decided to visit her as he looked at her ponytail "the last time we met I woke up and you were gone so I decided to see if you are..." Crozeph pulled his arms out the sleeves of his haori and crossed it under his chest "I'm not interrupting anything am I?"  he asked her. Crozeph found himself too relaxed as a visitor. He might be interrupting because he came without notice so he had to ask "nice house you have here, it feels cozy inside and the painting is a nice touch" he took a sip from his cup of tea and looked at the fireplace "I never had a proper home, the shop was just a storage I rented when I took the profession so it feels kinda different being inside one" he looked at window "I can't afford my own so I've been living in it, enough to give me a proper rest..." Crozeph then looked at her "... which I ended up doing too much" he added before giving a faint, awkward laugh.

@Mari 

Edited by Crozeph

"I don't mind -  I told you Crozeph. You're welcome here any time." Mari followed him to the Kotatsu, as he sat down she began to clear the clutter. Mari knew she could have just looked at them on her HUD - but she found it cathartic to be able to look at things in a physical form. It helped her organize things. After placing them away Mari sat opposite Crozeph, carefully sliding her legs under the heated Kotatsu table, shifting in a way that if Crozeph were to extend his legs, he would not accidentally kick her. "I can't imagine wooden sandals being too comfortable in the snow. Even with Survival. At least they'll warm up quick, right?" Mari offered him a smile as she opened up her HUD. "I like the cold - in a weird way it makes me feel more alive, and I love warming myself by the fire." Mari admitted.

She took out the tea from her inventory, a convenience she would no doubt miss in the real world. Mari reached out for the wave patterned circular cups in the middle of the table and began to pour the tea.

"I just wanted to see if you''re doing fine"

Mari stilled at his words. What did... "You..." She stopped, pausing her pour. When...when was the last time someone expressed that sort of genuine curiosity? Where someone wanted to see her, not for a quest or anything of the like, but just to check in on her? Mari cleared her throat. "That's...unexpectedly kind of you." Mari said as she topped up his cup and slid it over to him.  "You're not interrupting anything, I was looking at builds and skill trees for the frontlines but I think...I may just have to ask a few friends about it instead. Honestly, it's a good thing I"m here - normally I've in a cave somewhere. I'd hate to know you came all the way here only for me to not be at home." 

Crozeph complimented her home, then stated that he didn't have one yet. "You've....been living in your shop?" Mari asked, concern lacing her voice. "I'd be hypocritical to tell you not to..." She began, after all she'd spent so long in that dingy tent - even longer on the floor of caves. Her eyes shifted around her home. It really was small, but that's why she liked it. It was cozy. Warm. Homely. Mari didn't feel lost or overwhelmed here, but its one drawback was that she couldn't exactly just invite anyone to stay. "I can't offer you a permanent place of residence - but if you're ever down this way you're welcome to stay here." She patted the heated table they both sat under. "This thing makes quite the warm bed." 

@Crozeph

Crozeph nodded as Mari told him of warming by the fire and scratched his head at the mention of his wooden sandals "w-well I kinda lost my older equipment when I was starting out, i had a trench coat back then which would help me but I can't remember where it was" he said "wooden sandals are fine but I guess..."  Crozeph looked at the window "...it's a heavy fall tonight" Crozeph reached the floor by afternoon and probably wasted a lot of time finding a source of heat that he ended up reaching her house when evening is near.  Crozeph felt his feet getting warmer than before. Her telling him about his unexpected kindness of visiting made Crozeph feel happy and uncomfortable at the same time, if that was possible to feel "I, um, I've been trying to go out further than Floor 10 and thought that I should visit someone because if I just go out I'd be exploring dungeons or ruins so..." Crozeph too another drink from his cup "...I figured that I'd visit you since you told me you have a house, you're the only person I could visit" he told her "sh** why am I explaining, I could've just told her I wanted to visit her." Mari told him about her thinking about skill trees and what she should use in the frontlines "why? is your dagger skills not that effective in battle?" she also told him that it's a good thing she was home when he arrived or else "yeah that sounds bad, I'd be frozen before you got home but that's fine by me, I visited without a notice" he told her. They then talked about him living in a shop "that's how it is I guess, I can deal with rats and cockroaches in there but if my shop is like your tent which is just outside the safe zone I'd be having a hard time sleeping, I going to sleep like a dolphin with my brain half awake." 

Mari once again offered her home for him if he roamed around the floor again and it seemed like a good idea for Crozeph but "thank you but I don't think I'll be roaming around this floor for anything..." Crozeph placed his arm on the table and rested his head "if I'm here in floor 4 it's because I'm visiting you but next time I'll be sending a message and buy a pair of socks" Crozeph turned his eyes on the fireplace but as Mari mentioned that the table doubles as a bed, Crozeph sat right back up "that's why it's- I don't know what you call it when it makes you feel comfortable just by sitting beside it. You bought a nice piece of furniture."

@Mari

Mari finished pouring her own cup and placed the teapot in the center of the table for easy access in case Crozeph wanted to refill his cup. She listened quietly as he talked about loosing his equipment. "The snow tends to fall quite heavy during the night, I guess that's why it always looks so pristine come morning." Mari mused as she opened her HUD and started to look through her items. Since Oikawa visited last time she procured a few more items. "Here..." Mari said as she pulled out a few round and shiny looking buns from her inventory. She placed those beside the teapot. "That's red bean anpan. That's the best I have right now, I'm not big on sweets."

Crozeph stuttered, it seemed that he was either embarrassed, or struggled with social interactions. Mari could relate, it's partly why she had been so...cold in the past. It was easier than navigating such a maze. "You're....traversing the floors on your own?" Mari asked. "Isn't that...lonely?" She asked, concern lacing her tone. "Do you have anyone you could reach out t- ah." She stopped. Her. Her. He was literally reaching out to her. She of all people was the only person he could visit? That was no good... Mari would have to introduce him to a few people, maybe Baldur or Macradon. 

A odd silence fell between them as Mari lifted her cup to sip the milky tea. "You know, if you want I'd join you - I'd be more than fine in doing so." She offered Crozeph a smile as she set her cup down. "I could even introduce you to a few of my friends. Do you know Macradon, Or Baldur?"

Crozeph commented on her Kotatsu and Mari grinned as she leaned forward, hugging the wooden surface. "Right? I fell in love with them when I was teaching in Japan, I decided I may as well take what I can get here, I may not have a bed, or anything of the sort but this comes as a very close second."

@Crozeph

Crozeph took the red bean anpan that mari gave him while nodding to what she says about the weather at night  "I guess I'll be walking on thick snow later" he said as he took a bit of the bun. Crozeph liked the bun that Mari offered "I like this but yeah it's sweet"he told her. "I mostly gather materials and look for dungeons and if i got lucky some treasure chests. It's funny because I can easily get lost on dense forests. The city lights and building where much easier to know the difference compared to a forest, where every branch and leaves look alike" Crozeph had been exploring some places lately and for some reason he was excited to tell her that "I have one dungeon map here, I found it on floor 6 and I'm keeping it until I can give it to someone or have a team to go in there" he added. Crozeph's eyes lit up as she told him that she's willing to join him whenever he is exploring but kept his expression calm. As she told him that she could introduce him to some of her friends. Crozeph didn't know who Macradon is "he sounds like a mythical dragon"  he told her. The second however was very familiar to Crozeph, in fact, he knew who that person is "Baldur? I know him, we'd probably look like shinsengumi of we're together" Crozeph finished the red bean anpan and took a sip of his tea "speaking of Baldur, he offered me a place in his house but I don't know if it's done yet he just told me so" Baldur offered him a place to stay where he wouldn't have to deal with the cramped space where he sleeps.

Crozeph placed his arms on the table, it was indeed warm and the cold he felt earlier is now going down. Crozeph then got curious at the last thing Mari said "wait you're a teacher? in college?" he asked her. Crozeph remembered when he studied in college, balancing his studies and work and whatever left for him he puts on staying in his apartment and playing games. "Also..." Crozeph stared at the table "you can fit on this table?" he asked her.

@Mari

Mari sat up straight again as she grabbed one of the anpan, and pulled it apart, revealing the crushed red bean paste inside. She tore off a bite sized chunk and popped it into her mouth, chewing thoughtfully. She swallowed. "Better to walk on thick snow than in a snowstorm though. I've seen a few players get lost here before too, generally I'll try to give them a teleportation crystal. Green players are able to just teleport back to town when they're lost." She paused to eat another mouthful. "I'm not so lucky, I got lost for like...ahaha three days on the 8th floor, that really wasn't fun. I hated every bit of it." 

Crozeph's eyes seemed to light up at the mention of a dungeon map. "Mmm... I haven't found one before so don't know how they work - do they scale to level?" Mari asked, curious. She tapped the table gently. "If they did, I probably couldn't join you...maybe - sorry...I'm assuming, what level are you? I'm currently 65." She ate another morsel of the semi sweet bread.

Mari blinked. "On..." Did he just ask if she would fit on the table?  Mari stifled a laugh. "On the...ahaha, oh gosh - no...no. Crozeph. I sleep under it". Mari's laughter died down as she gestured to the heavy blanket that surrounded the table, that both her and Crozeph were underneath. "See this? It's heated - I honestly just curl up under the table, with my head sticking out of course - it's not the most spacious but it's a bloody side comfier than the floor of a cave or shop tent."  

Mari chuckled. "Mmm Mythical dragon? No -  no ahaha...Macradon is like....a giant dog, slobber and all." 

Mari plopped another piece of bread in her mouth, then almost choked when Crozeph mentioned Baldur. "Ba-*cough* Baldur. R-Right." Mari cleared her throat, blue eyes shifting over Crozeph's form when he mentioned the Shinsengumi. "You know..." Mari said with a faint smile as her eyes drifted to her half full cup.  "When I first saw Baldur, I asked if he was part of a police force - considering his attire. I could most definitely pin him as one." Her cheeks felt flushed, warm, when she talked about Baldur - Mari knew it was stupid, and unfounded - but somehow, it made her feel..better.

"H-he's asking you to move in with him!?" Mari asked, surprised. "I...wait you've met up with him recently?" Mari shook her head. "That's like him, I'm sure you'll fit right in - in his home. "Mari said quietly as she traced the rim of her cup. "Do you know when he's going to finish building it? Do you have places to stay till then?"

@Crozeph

Crozeph was eager to tell her about the dungeon he found but soon died out when Mari asked him if it would scale to level "w-well I found a map on floor 6 and it would seem that the rewards differ with a players level" he told her "I'm on level 21, I've been trying to gain skills points as fast as I can but I doubt i'd be able to catch up with your level"  he added. Crozeph tok a sip from his cup again as he learned that Macradon was more of a dog "hmm a dog who is named like a dragon, he sounds interesting" he said. The kotatsu being a bed was also new to him. He didn't know that she sleeps under the table. Crozeph gave an awkward laugh "I didn't realize that, I only see things like this on documentaries and anime and forgot how it works" he said and resumed his awkward laugh "Crozeph, you uncultured swine!" he thought as he laughs.

Crozeph saw how Mari choked at the mention of Baldur and while it piqued his curiosity, he had to chose his words carefully if he is to ask her about them two "yeah I know him, he organized adventures for Square One way back, he made me drink a lot of swamp water as we ventured around the beginner floors" he said as if he's detailing a torture method. "He's probably an unofficial police right now, he could be investigating us" he told her as he joked about Baldur. 

"Yes, I'm planning to move in as soon as he tells me that it is done, which I don't know when." Crozeph answered Mari, it seemed she was curious about Baldur "we met at Floor 10, maybe a few days before we met. He was with a girl named Cordelia, we talked and that's where he told me things about you" he said, baiting Mari on how she reacts "Macradon, Baldur, and her. Maybe they've been a group when I was messing around on Yomi" he thought.

The thought of him fitting right in Baldur's home was a good thing but Crozeph didn't know how that would happen "I don't know if I'd fit right in, I'm used to living alone"  he said.  Crozeph looked at the fireplace and enjoyed the warmth it gives along with the kotatsu. "For now I'll have to deal with the insects on the shop for a few more weeks or days, that is the only place where I can stay without disturbing anyone" he said. He shifted his eyes on his cup. The mention of home struck him for some reason but with how Crozeph handles what he feels, the feeling slowly died down... he suppressed it yet again. Crozeph wanted to tell things and he tried his best to tell her in a less weird way. 

"I don't know how to live with someone on the same house, I moved out of my family as soon as I got a part-time job. " Crozeph began to tell he things which he didn't know if it would interest her "so living with Baldur will be quite an adjustment with me along with the sunlight" he added. Crozeph made a faint smile, it would make what he would say less weird "I never had a kotatsu also, I lived alone so people in my  family house can live in quiet and peace. Things get livelier in my apartment if my father or my best friend would visit but considering how we all had our own lives to live, I kinda manage to live alone."  Crozeph uttered these things with a smile on his face, he accepted these kind of things and so he should find a way to enjoy what he has. "I don't have any places to stay except the shop" he told her before taking a sip again from his cup while looking her in the eyes.

@Mari

Edited by Crozeph

"They do? So if it scaled to your level, then the rewards would be better suited to you?" Mari asked as she tapped her lip, she continued to think out loud. "That could work - I really don't care about rewards or anything of the sort - although If I managed to gain some T1 or T2 materials, that'd help me craft things the lower level players would need...so - does that mean I could join you?" She paused, soft blue eyes shifting to Crozeph. "If that is okay with you, of course."  Mari offered him a reassuring smile, she had to take a wild guess one of the reasons he seemed so excited about telling her is he wanted someone to join him. "You know, when I came back from my isoloation, I was still Tier 2? But with my stubborn nature, and a few equally stubborn friends I am quickly gaining levels again, who is to say we can't do the same for you."

The conversation shifted back to Baldur; and how he had made Crozeph drink swamp water Mari snorted. "I'll be sure to tease him about that next time I see him." She mused. If she saw him anytime soon...their last meeting had been - interesting to say the least. She wasn't surprised that Cordelia was with him, he was essentially her teacher - maybe even some form of father figure. Mari choked on her tea when Crozeph said that Baldur had mentioned her, Mari didn't even think she was on his radar. "H-He what? What did he - I mean..." She coughed. "No I suppose that's between you and him - hope it wasn't too bad. Though I suppose, that if it was, you wouldn't be here, right?" Mari asked.

Who else did she know....Hmmm. There was Oikawa, on the 21st floor - Maybe if Mari took Crozeph up there? "Do you...know someone named Oikawa?" Mari asked Crozeph. "He has a ..." Mari scoffed and shook her head. "A bloody mansion on the 21st floor - but it's only him and this little white snow leopard cub. I'm sure if I asked - he'd let you stay there?"  Oikawa was notorious, for having been the one to kill Zelrius - so she wasn't sure how Crozeph would react, but if he could forgive her...of all people, then surely - he'd be ok with the dark haired man. "I guess..." Mari continued, trailing off as she shifted her eyes to her fingernails, she idly began to pick bits of dirt out from them. "I don't like the idea of someone spending all that time alone on a shop floor - I've been there, and it's not something I'd wish on anyone."

Crozeph began to talk about how he was used to living alone. How he didn't really have  much to do with his family. That stung, partly because it sounded...sad - and another part was because she was no doubt the cause of that isolation and loneliness. "Crozeph..." Mari said quietly. "I..."  Her chest hurt. "I still can't apologize enough for what I've done to you, what I've taken..." She shifted her gaze away. "The offer is still there; you can come here whenever you need - sometimes, the hardest thing...is..." She struggled to try and word things properly. "Sometimes, the hardest thing to do is to reach out to others, we become....complacent I Guess with our isolation that we don't realize how nice things can be. How much it means to just have someone to talk to - or someone to..to wake up to."

What should she do in this situation? IT was clear Crozeph was struggling, and he was attempting to reach out to her - he just picked possibly the worst person ever to do that with. Mari leaned over the table and placed her hand over his. "Take things one step at a time - many people are here for you."

@Crozeph

Crozeph thought for a bit and opened his HUD and looked up information regarding rewards for dungeons "higher level players get less rewards, I'm sorry about that" he told her. Crozeph felt disappointed, he's thinking that Mari might not join him if the rewards are meager. When Mari told him that she would join him regardless of the rewards he then nodded his head in excitement "yes you could, I'd be more than willing to have someone who can help me with the damage dealing" he added. Crozeph liked the idea of someone helping him to gain some levels at least to go on par with the players who joins the frontlines "just like that time when we killed the floor boss" he uttered. Whether it was out of fear or he was just too excited Crozeph stopped himself "oh sorry if I mentioned that, my tongue slipped" he told her. Back at the floor boss fight Mari was the pink-haired player whom he was wary about even when she became his guild leader.

Mari's reaction as she heard from him that they talked about her was what he expected "bingo" he thought. Crozeph then told her of what they talked about "it's not really bad, if I remember correctly, Cordelia mentioned you and I was thinking if we know the same Mari. When the description of you matched I kinda told them of Tom" he told her, finding it hard to say what really happened but he has to pull through "it felt weird back then, like when we met again at the tent, I was saying things that sounded terrible to other but seemed fine to me. That's when Baldur told me about you, how you are trying to your best to right your wrongs and helping if you can like trying to redeem yourself" Crozeph managed to tell her what they talked about. Crozeph couldn't say it, say that he felt relieved that Mari is not going anywhere stabbing anyone who ruins her mood or gets in her way.

When Crozeph heard Mari again he leaned on the table and patted her in the head "yes Crozeph be weird, what could possible go wrong?" his mind told him "I'm sure you've apologized enough to me, I may not look like it most of the time but I accept apologies" he told her before leaning back . "I am trying to reach out as much as I can, I'm not doing well at the moment but you and Baldur have given a lot of help to me" he added. Crozeph was thankful for what had happened the past few weeks, Baldur manage to break Crozeph's worthless habit of staring at the Styx and Mari, who he never expected to meet gave him the courage to be honest, to let things go if needed. "Complacency huh?" he mused "t-to be honest I-I wanted to visit you here because of this-" Crozeph turned his eyes away from her, he felt embarrassed "I wanted someone to talk to about different things, it felt good when I talked to Baldur but..." Crozeph took a deep breath "... I've told you things that I never thought I could so I figured that visiting you for a talk about anything would teach me how to be outspoken in a less weird way" he wanted someone to talk to and his best option according to him is Mari "yeah it would be nice if I could have someone to wake up to"  he said as he looked back to his cup. When Mari placed her hand on his and told him to take one step at a time and that there are many people for him, Crozeph smiled. There's that fuzzy yet warm feeling again inside him. He couldn't understand what it was so he thought that it was an emotional thing which he's not used to feel.

The mention of Oikawa made Crozeph's eye widen, it was a name he never expected to hear again. Hearing that Oikawa had a mansion in the upper floors amazed Crozeph but that's not what he is only surprised to hear "Oikawa!? is he really in the upper floors?" he asked her. Crozeph grabbed her hand that was placed over his "I-I need to know if he's doing well" he told her. Crozeph felt a sting, his memories of Square One flooding in again. Crozeph's complacency and isolation inside his shop made him lose connections with the guild members and for some reason he wanted to know if Oikawa is fine "I heard about what he did to someone named Zelrius and with my recent chat with Baldur about Azide's death and how it was that piece of s**t Zelrius who had the best healers around, I felt like thanking Oikawa but for some reason..." Crozeph held her hand tight "I wasn't there to at least join them. and it made me feel a little guilty." 

@Mari

Edited by Crozeph

"Don't apologize about those silly rewards." Mari said. "Like - honestly if you want to make it up to me, throw in some Tier 1 or Tier 2 materials to help me craft things for the lower floors. But really it's fine. I can do that sorta thing on my own if I need - Also, I tend to do col or material hunting with Mac." Mari shifted so she could be a little more comfortable, sliding further underneath the Kotatsu. "How about this? I'll go with you on your dungeon map - but you have to join me on a material gathering expedition on one of the lower floors, both of those are fairly sunny areas, there will be little to no chance of mobs spawning - it'll be a good way for you to stretch your legs and get accustomed to things again Win/Win."

He apologized again, this time for mentioning the boss battle. "It's fine. Really. You shouldn't apologize so much. I know that's a habbit that's very hard to break, but try to catch yourself." Mari offered, she didn't mean to chastise him. Especially at a time where Mari felt he was emotionally vulnerable, but she didn't want to let things slide and him keep those bad habbits. As hypocritical as that may be.   "Like instead of saying sorry - say 'thanks for listening' or like now, instead of sorry say 'thanks for understanding' those small nuances...they stack up."

It seemed that Crozeph told Baldur and Cordelia about Tom; that was fine. Mari had nothing to hide - the name was printed clear as day on the Monument of life and on. Wait Crozeph probably didn't know. "You ...ah..." Mari scratched the back of her head, how should she bring this up. "You know...I've built a little grave site for Tom. Not just for him, but for everyone who...I...ah...if you'd like, tomorrow morning when the storm passes, I can take you there?" Mari wasn't sure what his reaction would be, but she thought he at least deserved to know that much.

The dark haired youth unexpectedly reached out to pat Mari on the head. She stared at him, flabbergast. What- what on earth was that.  "I -uh..." She didn't really have much time to process it before Crozeph practically jumped up and out from under the Kotatsu at the mention o Oikawa's name. "Y-yes?" Mari said. "I-he's doing well. He actually found me recently." Mari began. "He sought me out because he felt like he wanted my help and guidance. Since then we've kept in regular contact. He's - a little muddled, but he's smiling and healthy. I could message him any time - he also has a tendency to just drop in here. Much like you." Mari said as she pulled away from Crozeph and laughed lightly to herself. "You two share that trait. Just don't start calling me snowflower like he does." Her smile faded when Crozeph said he felt guilty. "There is no reason for you to feel that way. I wasn't at the frontlines either - Zelrius threatened to kill me if I returned. The Azure brigade had too. I wasn't welcomed and I could call myself weak, or a coward for leaving but...self preservation, can any of us really blame ourselves for that?" Mari asked.

She paused. "As for you wanting to be outspoken. You can come to me with anything, I'll do my best to help you. Just - maybe - no trying to choke me." Mari said with a wink as she leaned on the table. "But you're still welcome for that free stab any time - so you say you want to talk about anything, is there something on your mind now? we have most the night - and be sure I'm not sending you back out there till morning."

@Crozeph

Mari's offer was the best option he heard so far and it is just like how she said, win/win. 'I'll take that one, you go with me with a team in a dungeon and I go help you with material gathering" he said as a way of agreeing with her. Crozeph then told her about another thing about it "the only one missing is a tank, I could look for someone but considering how I'm not that approachable and I have a rather weird approach sometimes, it might be hard to ask one. I know one, Hestia but I lost contact with her for a long time" he told her. His dungeon exploration is set, now all he needs is to prepare himself.

Crozeph took her advice about him apologizing about things. He wasn't the type who would apologize to anyone and if he did, it would be in a sarcastic tone. Crozeph nodded as he listened to her, keeping his mouth shut for a few seconds before he could blurt out an apology again. When Mari mentioned about her making a little grave for Tom and those she had wronged it made Crozeph silent, not because it reminded him of the events but of how a someone remembers them "I don't know what you really feel about them but I admire you for what you did, Others would do their best to forget and completely missing the point of trying to to the right things" he told her "I want to visit it so yes please take me there tomorrow".

As he heard how Oikawa is doing well but was asking for guidance, Crozeph as confused "for what? on the orange marker thing?" he asked her. Crozeph would never understand what it's like being a player killer or having the marker, he never was one. Despite his cold and rational nature and the hints of having an emotional problems, he never was pushed to the brink of killing someone as he viewed it as "complete nonsense" unless that person warranted one. "I hope we could visit him sometime but I don't know what to say to him, I was the wayward member of Square One but I enjoyed their company. I have no idea what would be the first thing to say to him" he said "should I ask him how he bought a mansion or what?" he added. Crozeph felt more anger as he heard who Zelrius had been "never met him in personal but he sounds like a complete a**hat, much worse than Daeron" he muttered, annoyed at how illogical it was to stop others from joining the battle to clear the floor boss "I'm guessing the battle dragged on and things got messed up. Baldur also mentioned the healing and stuff, if you were there things could've went faster" he said "I've seen your skills and preparedness in battle. I even looked pathetic being healed by your crystals, the casualty could've been made lower if he..." Crozeph stopped for second. He was ranting to her about something that was already over "here I go again with my nonsense on strategies and stuff, w-we could visit Oikawa if you have free time" he uttered before making an awkward laugh.

Crozeph was already telling her things he also told himself or a few and with her telling him that he can only made Crozeph be a bit talkative, it's not normal but every quiet and aloof person like him could start somewhere, like this "choke you? oh right my rare cases of anger being out of control, I apologize for that. Since you told me I could tell you anything I..." Crozeph gathered his thoughts "I usually have a bad temper, I may not look like it but I get frustrated and annoyed most of the time. Since I taught myself to just bear with it I managed to hold back a lot of those moments where my blood would be boiling but i guess it wasn't healthy as I thought for me which you saw when I tried to choke you" he told her. A bad temper, he was melancholic at best but if things keep piling up Crozeph would lose control of his patience. "You mentioned that you were a teacher, was it in highschool or college? thinking back I would be a student back then"

@Mari

"Well, he may not be a tank..." Mari began. "But why not kill two birds with one stone - why not invite Oikawa? You want to see him, right?" Mari asked as she picked up her cup, swirling the dredges of the milky tea within it. "The only other two tank like players I know are kinda, very over leveled. They're both at the level cap. But Oikawa would be closer to you I think, and you clearly wanna see him."  Mari smiled, she felt like things may just work out. "I think it'd be nice to quest with you two." She added with a warm smile.

Mari finished off her tea and poured herself another cup. This...was nice. Mari felt warm, she felt content. "And Crozeph!" Mari began, chastising him. "You're plenty approachable. Here-" She shuffled over to him and brushed his hair out of his face. "You're hiding your eyes too much. I'm sure if you let people see who you are, they'll like you plenty - I mean. You've accepted me of all people right?" Mari asked.

Her smile faded as he mentioned the graves, Mari shifted back to her position opposite him. "I...can't bring any of those people back, but I wanted someone to remember them." It seemed silly now... of course they had people to remember them. Crozeph is proof of that. They had people. Not just in here but out there. She envied that about others.

"Something like that.." Mari began quietly. "Oikawa...pfft - he said he came to me for help because he thought I had it together or somethin' crazy like that. I don't though. Not n the slightest."

Mari shrugged. "Well, a good first thing to say to someone is always hello, right?" She asked Crozeph. Mari shook her head when Crozeph said things would have been better if she were at the frontlines. "Your...your words are kind but - we don't know that for sure, no point in focusing on what if's - instead we should focus on what we can change now. It's not nonsense, you wanted to talk about it, and here I am."

Crozeph asked her about her teaching. Right... "Ahh, I actually..nothing like that. I was teaching English to students in Japan - one of of those exchange programs. I...I really loved it, the kids were great - I taught primary school aged kids, usually about 6 to 12."

@Crozeph

"That would be nice, could clear this dungeon faster than I intended"  he said. He may not have met Oikawa for a long time but he's sure that Oikawa is still the Oikawa he knows back then "I always remembered him as someone who is heroic, you know those cool protagonist who goes like this..." Crozeph brushed his hair up like he's some kind of cool highschool student and smiles but considering how he's basically child-like and awkward on explaining things, it may seem weird for Mari. "Though I don't know how he looks anymore, like how I saw you with a different color, it might be a bit shocking for me." Mari told him to say hello to Oikawa first instead asking anything "r-right I have to say hello, I was surprised with the mansion thing since those cost like millions."

Crozeph's hair fell back, he never had a hair that looked like it was alive, his were like dead leaves and it would be irritating at times so he ties the back into a ponytail. "You think so? I try to hide my eyes so people wouldn't know if I'm looking at them" he told her "it might seem creepy but I rarely trust people back then" Crozeph had a hard time when he was on his lower level days and it made him realize that he had to keep his guard up or he'll be picked often. This time however he can trust a few again and there's no reason to be on guard at all times. Crozeph was enjoying the warmth of the place, unlike the damp feeling of his shop, her house was so welcoming inside.

"I'd say the same too" Crozeph told her "Oikawa might have seen it, after all, he was like a heroic protagonist in my eyes." The snow blew fiercely outside, what kind of cold would he have to endure if he didn't arrive at her house before it stormed outside. "It might feel like that to you but a lot of us, and it's just my opinion, saw someone doing her best to survive" he said "I mean we both resorted to isolation right? but you still did better than me" he added. A long time of isolation and he didn't even do anything in his shop "I was just scrolling through my friends list which only had around 10 and smiled when I see them level up" he tried to hide his disappointment to himself "I could try to help Oikawa too but I don't know how" Crozeph's willingness to help was there "this time I'll try to help everyone I can by not getting out of the way, including you" his eyes were serious but he quickly changed it into his calm yet childish attitude "I don't know about helping in battles though, I feel like I'm the one needing help" he added.

Crozeph was actually excited to hear about Mari teaching children in Japan, his blue eyes gleamed as if a bedtime story is about to be told "so you're good with kids? that's so sweet" he said as he learned that she was part of an exchange program "kids in Japan are nice right? they may be blunt at times calling me dead eyes onii-chan and stuff but they're good kids" Crozeph continued his 2nd grade in Japan and despite staying for a long time he as struck by a certain disadvantage and a weird advantage "you know I was able to understand the language there quite easily but I had a hard time talking in japanese, it was weird so I decided to not talk much except when needed" he told her "I'm guessing you learned fast, since you have to teach them right?" Crozeph rested his head on the table, he felt at ease and was already feeling at home rather than a visitor "you really did good with your house, I might visit here a lot even when I move in with Baldur."

@Mari 

"Okay! It' settled then!"Mari had already opened up her HUD and was crafting a message to Oikawa.

To: Oikawa

Hey, Crozeph is here - he wants to go on a dungeon with you and I, It may be a T1 or T2 dungeon. You in?

PS- he thinks you're a superhero - wear a cape.
-Mari

"Message already sent." Mari said with a small grin. She kinda hoped Oikawa would wear one, if it were Macradon he'd probably come all decked out with underwear over lycra and everything. "He looks pretty similar, I guess." Mari mused. "He has those intense golden eyes and half smirk - some golden jewellery around his neck...so I guess he's the same? Although I admit I didn't really talk to him much back then. As for the mansion, he bought it to share with his guild, but now its just this big ass empty place. It must....be lonely." Mari picked up her cup and took a long sip from it. "It's why I suggested you stay at his place whilst you wait for Baldur to finish his. I think it'd do good, for the both of you."

Mari watched as Crozeph lifted his hands to tie his hair back, it was nice to see him settle down and start opening up. He wasn't skittish, his eyes weren't dancing around the room and his shoulders weren't tense. "That's better." Mari said to herself. "Trust is...hard to gain, with everything you've been through it's not surprising you don't trust others easily. Honestly - I'm still a little surprised you're willingly sitting here in my home."

Mari wasn't sure why people were so readily trusting her again, granted the rumours about her were blown out of proportion she had still taken many lives - hell..she took the step brother of the man who sat before her, yet there he was - comfortably drinking tea with her. Mari shook the self hating thoughts away, shove them down. Deal with them later.

Her light blue eyes rested on Crozeph. "Sometimes. All someone needs is an ear to listen - I'm sure you can do more than that for Oikawa, he'd be happy to hear someone admires him so. I'm sure of it. And when it comes to battles well..." Mari shrugged. "Aren't most of us just helplessly flailing our weapons around hoping something will hit?" Mari finished off her cup and shifted out from underneath the Kotatsu. 

"A lot of the younger one are pretty disinterested in the language course." Mari said as she padded across the room, barefoot. "They are....sweet though." She said with a soft smile as she started to stoke the fire. "Their questions were always funny. The third years....oof..." Mari turned to glance at Crozeph. "They play this weird game where they try to poke each other in the butt. It's scary walking down that hallway."  Mari blushed when Crozeph said she must have been good with kids.

She laughed awkwardly and averted her gaze. "Ahaha..I - I guess I'm okay with them." She missed them, sometimes Mari wondered if she should just go green and retire somewhere and look after the kids in the orphanage - but she knew she didn't deserve such simplicity.

"My house?" Mari shifted her gaze around the single room. "It's cozy, I guess. So yeh, you're welcome here any time."

@Crozeph

Mari's description of Oikawa was impressing Crozeph well. He was imagining Oikawa like a millionaire sitting in a throne-like chair with a wolf on his side while laughing and basking in his glorious mansion. "I guess he's got to match the look of his house" he told her. Crozeph just realized something as they talked about it "yes that's it! while you look like someone who lives in peace on this cold floor. You're like that person in the movies who some people seek for advice or help while I..."  Crozeph also realized it for himself "... I live like a samurai who lost his master and is staying in a rundown place in the slums" he added before making an awkward laugh. Crozeph saw that Mari had sent a message to Oikawa and for some reason he was excited, like a kid who's going to meet another kid whom he played with on a playground.

"A little surprised?" he asked. Crozeph didn't know what she meant by him easily trusting him. He never had the feeling of distrust for her or maybe he was just being naive. "This might seem weird or confusing for you but..." Crozeph looked at her, blue eyes looking at Mari, Crozeph had always been like this to those he sees as trustworthy and the last time is with Azide "I feel angry at people but I don't distrust them unless they give me a reason to feel both. You never gave me a reason to not trust you but I had a reason to be angry back then" Crozeph lowered his gaze to his cup "I have to put my emotions in their right places or I'll just be an arrogant or angry person." Crozeph has always been like this since he was young. People would often see it as apathy but Crozeph only wanted to understand things to keep his temper in check. Crozeph sipped from his cup "I also forgot to say this. You've told me a lot of times that you're here for me and I'm welcome in your home but I wasn't able to tell you that I'm here for you too. I don't have a home though" he told her "I mean that's what I can do as your friend, I'm sure there are things I can help you with aside from gathering materials" he added.

"I've never experienced that poking thing," he said as he stretched out his hand towards the fire. Crozeph thought that Mari is probably good at the profession that she chose. Sometimes he wondered what life had everyone outside the game. He should've been a graduating student if he wasn't trapped inside the game. He thought hard for a few seconds, wanting to ask what her life was back then. Crozeph knew that it would be too personal so he tried t ask her another question "I noticed that whenever I mention Baldur you kinda act weird, do you like him?" he asked. It took a few second but Crozeph felt a chill despite the warmth of the kotatsu and the fireplace, it's as if he asked something he shouldn't "I f****ng messed up! why would I ask her that?!" his voice echoed in his head. Crozeph tried to hide his nervousness, it was still a personal question and maybe much more worse than what he had in mind before.

@Mari

Edited by Crozeph

Mari grinned as Crozeph explained Oikawa matched his house. "He kinda does." Mari agreed as she arched her back. "He is....more humble than I thought though - I always pictured him as like an arrogant bastard, probably cause of his association with Azure Brigade." Mari chewed her cheek. She had assumed most people in that guild were rude and arrogant, because of their leader - but if people like Oikawa and Baldur were in the guild...then was it really that bad?

Mari listened, watching Crozeph's actions - he was much more animated than she gave him credit for, she expected him to be reserved but he wore his emotions on his sleeve. Much like her - Mari found it harder to hide her emotions as of late. "I love the snow." Mari said as she padded over to the window to watch it fall. "I like the cold too, it's nice. So whilst its completely different to my home country...I feel at home here." Mari turned to glance at Crozeph as he said she was like a sage of some sort, a person people go to for advice. "Y-you think?" She asked. "I'm not really all that great with words though."

Mari turned to face Crozeph completely, leaning her back against the cold window pane as she crossed her arms over her chest. Listening to him quietly. Back then? Didn't he have a reason to be angry with her now? She took his step-brother from him, perhaps the only family member he had that understood him. He offered his help, but Mari wasn't sure what she really needed help with. The only thing she really ever truly wanted was her daughter back - but that would never happen. Mari leaned her head back on the glass, looking at the wooden beams that ran across the ceiling. It wasn't till he asked her if she liked Baldur did she lower her gaze back to him, her head shooting down to meet his gaze. "I-what?"

Is it that obvious?

Mari cleared her throat. "I don't. I mean..." She tapped her arm with her fingers nervously. "I think...he's handsome and when he's around I hate myself a little less but...maybe? I guess?" Mari sighed as she shut her eyes and tried to steady her breathing. Why did such a silly little thing rile her up so much. "We - don't actually know each other that well. We've had maybe one conversation aside from meeting each other a few times...so, to say I like him based off that?  I don't know."

@Crozeph

"I'm sure you can help them somehow even if you're not great with words," he told her 'I know some fictional characters who are not good with words like Sherlock. That guy is rude in many ways but he can still help" he added. Crozeph read books and he saw how some people, despite their reputation can still help others. 'It's going to be a pain though once they begin to flood to your doorstep"  Crozeph scratched his head "as for me I won't be asking much, I don't want to bother you with things which I think I can solve on my own but..." he smiled at her and he's been practicing for a while with the whole approachable smile thing "... I would visit you just to have conversations like this" he told her.  Crozeph brushed his eyes, it seems the is making him feel a little sleepy "maybe next time I'll bring you something good to eat, a meal" he told her.

"That's the Oikawa I know," he said as he watched the fire "I never thought he'd be part of another guild again but good for him" he added. It felt like a few minutes have passed and they've already talked about many things. Crozeph liked it, a break from the talks of formations and strategies. "Oikawa isn't the type to be influenced by those around him, he gets things done and that's it," he told Mari "I'm kinda worried about his familiar though, I'm not good with those. I didn't want one because I won't be able to feed it but a raven as my scout is something that I would like to have" Crozeph tried to ease his sleepy feeling "I kinda wish I could see them all again, we weren't close to the point where we're always together but just one message from anyone and we're all set to join." 

She was obvious and Crozeph saw that but with his usual logical thinking he dismissed it and how he managed to ask Mari about Baldur is probably his stupidity creeping in. "Well based on what you said you sound like you like him, just not on another level," he told her "I kinda expected that, he's pretty much the different version of Oikawa when it comes to being cool," he added. Crozeph felt the nervousness dying down but he had to continue with the topic he started "you'll like him more if you get to spend more time together, whether with others or just you two" he added while raising his thumb in approval and a mischievous smile on his face. "I'm dumb when it comes to that kind of thing, I can see other people act around those they like but for me, I always told myself that it's a selfish feeling, it's even more selfish to feel if the person doesn't like me back so I'd just tell myself that it's ok"  he was acceptive of anyone but liking them is a different story "I have no problem if people if you ask me, I just find it hard to imagine myself liking someone who will like me back" Crozeph then raised his thumb again with a mischievous smile "I'm gonna root for you and Baldur," he said before laughing as if he uncovered a mystery.

@Mari

Crozeph gave Mari something to think about. So...in a way - he was saying that whilst she may not be the best at articulating things, she had her moments - and it was not her words so much as her attitude and...what would you call it? Aura? Presence? In any case. It felt nice to have someone compliment her that way. Mari always saw herself as the sort of broody b**chy type that would just bother people rather than help them. "A pain?" Mari grinned as she tapped her arm. "Jealous that my attention would be divided?"

"N-no...not really." Crozeph replied. "What I mean is, it's going to be a pain for you." He said before giving an awkward laugh.

"Well, in any case - you're always welcome here - even if you just want talks like this. They seem to help you, and I'd like that. a meal together sounds nice." Crozeph rubbed his eyes, Mari guessed he was tired - she couldn't blame him. She was exhausted herself, she rarely slept - and when she did she did not sleep well.

Mar blinked when she got a reply from Oikawa. "Yeh, his ears must be burning." she said as she opened the message.
"He just responded let's see..."

To: Mari

Crozeph? Like THE Crozeph? I haven't seen or heard from him in ages! And a superhero? I'm not sure about that at all. But I'll bring my old cloak, at the time it definitely framed me like a cape. Also,  yes to the dungeon.

Mari closed out the message. "He seems excited - said he'd like to do the dungeon. So whatever day or time is good for you, let me know and I'll try to work something out but...You seem pretty tired. I wouldn't worry about his familiar, I don't think he takes it out everywhere with him." Mari pushed herself off the wall and padded over to where Crozeph sat, she knelt down beside him, opening up her menu to pull a blanket from her inventory. "Let's met them all again. One person at a time." Mari offered as she draped the blanket around him. "You're tired right? Here. If you shuffle down under the Kotatsu your seat cushion works well as a pillow too." Mari offered gently.

"Okay." He began to ease himself under the Kotatsu. "this makes me feel more sleepy..." He told her in a tired voice as his eyes began to open and close slowly. 

"Well...yeh, that's kinda the point."

Mari ignored the comments about Baldur, now wasn't really the time for that - and she'd rather not think about it too much. Instead, she shifted the topic back to Crozeph. "It's not selfish. You can't control how you feel about others." She gave him a small pat on the back as she positioned the blanket around his shoulders. "I think we're all a little dumb when it comes to complex feelings like that. It's why communication's so important, yanno? But - you're falling asleep right? You should rest."

His reply was a slight snore. "Pfft..." He fell asleep so easily. Poor guy was probably so exhausted. She reached out and ran a hand through his fringe before moving away. She'd let him rest, and hope that there were no nightmares in his mind tonight. 

Mari shifted away from Crozeph and moved to sit in one of the chairs by the fire. She knew she wouldn't sleep that night; but...it was comforting to know that at least one person was comfortable enough around her to do so.

@Crozeph