[PP-F5-E3] <<Bloodstained Lands>>

QUEST

"I. Hate. This. Floor." Mari said with a severe lack of enthusiasm. Why did she agree to this again? Oh, that's right. Helping out a friend. An arrogant friend. An arrogant friend who liked to grill her about her love life, or lack of one. Mari had messaged Shield already, telling him to meet her on the outskirts of Fortaleza. Mari recalled him saying he wanted to run the Bane of Blood quest. So offered to go on it with him today.

"He's my friend..." Mari repeated to herself out loud. "You're doing this because you wanna complete the quest and help a friend..." She wiped sweat from her brow.

SHe was sitting cross legged atop a rock.  A half empty bowl of ramen in her lap as she casually ate; mostly to gain the stat bonuses. It certainly wasn't a meal one would normally eat on such a hot floor. Whilst she was waiting for Shield, Mari was sure to turn off her Bull Rush mod, so she wouldn't be stunning any enemies today.

@Shield

Used the following:
1 x Super Sight Shoyu Ramen  +2 ACC  
Queen’s Honey: [Perfect Potion: +3 Damage for one thread] 
BULL RUSH DISABLED

Spoiler

General
Level: 65 | HP: 1330  |Energy: 130

STATS

DAM: 16 | EVA 3  | MIT 43 | ACC 4 | 

BATTLE COPY

Mari    [H:0/0/0] - HP 1330/1330  | EN: 130/130 | DMG: 16+3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4+2  | BH: 66 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)
Light Armor Mod Athletics -  Gain +1 base damage and +30 HP when wearing light armor
SURVIVAL
Rank 5 Battle Healing (5% of total health rounded down start of each turn)
Familiar Mastery Expert - +1 (*Tier) Damage - +9 Damage

EQUIPPED
Name: 
Kusanagi | Item Type: Dagger | Tier 2
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Burn 2
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'
'Burn Damage' of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10 - Unmitigated

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking enemy.

Shield

Spoiler

» Shield, The Immovable Object

• Modified HP:
  • Modified EN:
  • Modified MIT:
  • Modified ACC:
  • Modified DMG:
  • Modified EVA:
  • Battle Heal:
  • Search:
  • Temp Buff: +30 THN
  • Temp Buff:
  • Temp Buff:

» Base Stats

• Base HP: 1830
  • Base EN: 174
  • Base MIT: 169
  • Base ACC: 0
  • Base DMG: 2
  • Base EVA: -1
  • Battle Heal: 85 HP
  • Search: +5

» Items Equipped:

• Manticore Mask - T3 Perfect Shield - Flame Aura I / Taunt / Mitigation I
  • Stinging Nettle - T3 Perfect Heavy Armor - Envenom (Defensive) I / Thorns II
  • Blessed Greaves - T3 Demonic Heavy Armor - Mitigation II / Holy Blessing II
  • Wedding Ring [+18 MIT]
  • Hammerspace Backpack (HB) +1 BR item (allows stacks up to 7)

» Battle-Ready Inventory:

• Golden  Keys x3 | Unique Item | +2 Search on Chests
  • Basic Teleportation Crystal x4 | Good Item | Teleports player to the Town of Beginnings
  • Safeguard Potion x3 | Perfect Tier 1 | Safeguard

» Skills:

• Searching | 5 Ranks | +5 Bonus to LD, +0 to Stealth Detect
  • Battle Healing | 5 Ranks | While in combat, recover 1% per rank (85HP) at the beginning of your turn
  • First Aid | 5 Ranks | +4% HP per rank (+20% HP) on Post Action
  • Picking | Purchased | +3 LD when opening chests
  • Heavy Armor | 5 Rank | +35 Mitigation
  • Energize | Purchased |  Restore 8 EN to target
  • Block | 5 Ranks | +25 Mitigation
  • Howl | Purchased | +2 Hate against each opponent (up to 4)
  • Fighting Spirit | Purchased | +1 Hate when using Howl or Focused Howl
  • Parry | Purchased 3 Turn Cooldown | 5 Energy | Reduces incoming damage by 50%
  • Fishing | Purchased | Fish for equipment and gain prestige among old men

» Extra Skills:

• Concentration | No Ranks | Gain +1 BD for a single attack | 5 Turn Cooldown
  • Familiar Mastery: Healer |  3 Ranks | +135 HP (Does not require post action)
  • Martial Arts | 1 Rank | +1 Base Damage per slot with Unarmed Weapons
  • Meditation | Purchased | Recover an additional 15 EN on Post Action | 3 Turn Cooldown
  • Survival | Purchased |  Increases out of combat health regen to (15xTier) 45 per post

» Mods:

• Athletics: +1 DMG +30 HP
  • Focused Howl: +4 Hate against single target on Post Action
  • Dismantling: +2 LD when opening chests
  • Stone Wall: +Gain 10 MIT and 45 HP from heavy armor. Reduces DOT by 25%. -1 to Evasion.
  • SharpnessGives target +[Target's Tier] to Base Damage for 2 turns | 1 Turn Cool Down
  • Justified Riposte: A successful Parry also stuns the target for 1 turn. | 3 Turn Cool Down
  • Vengeful Riposte: A successful Parry returns 50% of DMG back to your opponent - mitigatable. | 3 Turn Cool Down

It had been a whirlwind, hopping all over Aincrad over the past month, from the first floor, up the twenty fourth, ages worth of fishing on the twenty first, then to the tenth, the sixteenth, the twenty-second... It had been quite the crash course reminder of the diversity of Aincrad's many floors. Today's venture brought him to the fifth, and he was busy tracking down Mari once again. 

As he walked through the settlement of Fortaliza, he once again fished an Immolation Potion from his gear and popped the cork. It burned slightly on the way down, but as soon as it had been completely quaffed, he could see the faint red glow of the potion's effects forming an aura of heat around his armor's spiny surface. As he discarded the empty bottle, he finally spotted Mari and jogged to catch up with her. "I hope you're not getting any sand in your soup. That would be a pretty unpleasant way to start this whole affair off." He gave the DPS player a slight incline of his head in greeting and leaned against the stone on which she sat, waiting for her to finished her meal. "I'm sure you're eager to get this over with. If I'm honest, so am I. Even with the survival skill, being out in the sands for long periods of time isn't pleasant."

He turned up his collar, trying fruitlessly to keep the wind from buffeting grains of sand into his face. "Are you needing anything else to prepare, or is that meal the last of your buffs?" he asked her, squinting into the breeze to avoid getting the stuff in his eyes.

Edited by Shield

"Shield!" Mari gave him a wave when she saw him approach. "I think I may have gotten some sand in there - I tell ya, the feel of it on your teeth. The absolute worst." Mari let go of the bowl and watched as it fell to the floor and disintegrated. She then stood up, readjusting her scarf so it would sit just over her mouth and nose. She'd rather that than dealing with more sand. "I'd rather get this done quick. There is nothing good and I mean nothing at all worthwhile on this floor. I'd say the unpleasant sands outweigh any good things." Mari said. "Then again I may just be bitter." She gave him a smile, not that he could really see it.

"I'm all buffed up! I could grab some immolation potions, but I feel there is no use for it, not with you around. Unless you needed one?" Mari asked with a tilt of her head. "I got spares, been busy stockpiling and crafting for the upcoming frontline battles - actually...got a question for ya. How much are you charging for your T1 and T2 materials? I want to craft a bunch of stuff ready for the lower levelled players." 

Mari sighed as they shifted pace, beginning a casual walk to their destination.  "Its weird, I'm kinda getting this reputation among them. Something about being a teacher - or an aid..." She shifted her gaze away. "I...have to admit, I used to teach so it's nice hearing that again - but I don't know...it's just - odd."

@Shield

Spoiler

Searching for Eggs - ID# 143388 results: Craft: 9 [5 Eggs found] Loot: 6+5=11 [No Materials found]

Total Loot:

Eggs: 5

Shield gave a little chuckle. "I am beyond set on Immolation Potions," he said, tapping his armor which was already buffed with the extra defensive damage from the potion he had chugged. "Perks of being a tank and a merchant." The topic of Mari's tendency to teach - or at the very least, to be a teacher figure - was something that resonated with a matter he had been meaning to discuss with her.

He led the way into the desert, already more than familiar with the quest and where to find the field boss they were looking for. The dunes of the floor were always shifting, which made navigation a challenge. However, there were rock formations here and there along the horizon, and occasional structures and ruins. While one or two would occasionally be buried, there were usually ways to navigate. Still, even as they trudged, their boots sinking into the sand a little with each step, occasionally finding loose Easter eggs in the endless sands, Shield's mind continued to ponder the best way to approach the topic on his mind.

Probably wait until after the fight. It's an odd thing to bring up right before jumping into a complex fight.

As they crested a high dune, Shield spotted a familiar sandstone spire, the wind and sands having sculpted it into an odd, top-heavy formation with smooth, rippling curves. "We're close," he said, unslinging his shield from his back and sliding the strap onto his arm. "Watch your feet. He likes to come at you from under the sand."

Edited by Shield

"Well, at least you can't say I didn't offer." Mari added with another grin as she watched him tab his armour -it probably killed him to wear that on a floor like this, Mari was glad her attire was more...flowy, less restricting. Mari swung her arms up above her head and stretched. Aside from the abhorrent weather of the floor, this was nice. Shield was someone Mari found herself just.... clicking with, and whilst she tried to get along with others - it was rare for her to just mesh with someone so well. She could count those people on one hand.

Shield had taken the lead, and Mari was more than fine with that. "So, guess this is another quest you do over and over again, eh?" Mari asked. "If you want, we can hit up the witch again after this - I know you'll be wanting some more of those sweet, sweet CD items."  Her eyes drifted to the horizon - all around them ,it looked fairly similar to her - nothing but sand dunes and the occasional pile of rocks. Mari shifted her gaze to Shield again. "Hey, you okay?" She asked. He seemed a little preoccupied, normally he'd be busy regaling her with tips and information about the upcoming battle.

They came upon a spire and with a rumble a strange creature emerged, giving a guttural scream that sounded like it was choking on the very sand it emerged from. "O-Ohh..eew.." Mari was expecting it to be more well, shark like. She kicked off the sand, almost tripping over - she had to right herself up just before activating her <<Eternal Cyclone>> Move - the giant sand shark simply stepped to the side - and she had completely missed, wasting her charge. Mari groaned. What a pain...she'd rather focus on the positive though...
"Oh - did I mention I've leveled up a few times since our last encounter?" She asked

@Shield

ID: 143389 BD: 2-1+6=7 - 4 = miss

Mari    [H:0/0/0] - HP 1330/1330  | EN: 128/130 | DMG: 16+3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4+2  | BH: 66 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
Shield
Land Shark Terra Firma  HP:
650/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4  

Edited by Mari

Passive: N/A

Action: Focused Howl > Terra Firma [-5 EN - Housing Bonus 2/3 remaining]

Mari    [H: 0] - HP 1330/1330  | EN: 128/130 | DMG: 16+3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4+2  | BH: 66 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
Shield 
[H: 6] - HP: 1749/1830 | EN: 169/174 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 169 | EVA: -1 | ACC: 0 | LD: 5 | BH: 85 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

Land Shark Terra Firma  HP551/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4

Attack vs. Shield - ID# 143390 results: Loot: 6 [No Proc] MOB: 8 + 1 = 9 - Hit! 250 - 169 = 81 dmg [THN Proc - 99 dmg]

• << Assault Mode >> : LD 10+ [hidden players spotted, ACC and EVA switch for his attack only, partial phase on a nat 9, and full phase on nat 10]
  • << Move Swiftly >> : [Concentration skill ineffective, players take -1 to ACC]
  • << Hard-Scaled >> : [Paralysis and Freeze ineffective]
  • << Weak-Spots >> : BD 9+ [gain partial phase]

"Always good to keep improving, right?" Shield said, watching Mari get in her first hit on the infamous Land Shark. Incidentally, Shield was not the only one who noticed the attack, and Terra Firma was far less pleased about it. It whipped around, lowering its head and baring its claws. Shield took that as his cue.

He inhaled, stepping to the side so that Mari would not be in the direct line of fire. He had a feeling that powerful gusts of air in a sandy environment would do a little more than just muss someone's hair a little. "HEY, UGLY! YOU GOT A MUCH BIGGER TARGET RIGHT HERE!" he bellowed, his Focused Howl knocking the beast off-balance for a moment. It whipped around and growled, digging its claws into the sand for traction and launching towards the tank. With a leaping swing, it cleaved its claws straight through Shield's chest, but the tank did not move. Rather, the land shark bounced off of his chest, falling onto its back where it writhed for a moment, its foreclaws and torso lit up with dozens of tiny red glowing scratches and burns. "I don't think that will ever get boring."

Edited by Shield

"If we are complacent with where we are at, there is no room to grow." Mari added to his comment. "We should always try to improve - else we'll be stagnant. I don't wanna be stagnant till I'm in a rocking chair yelling at kids to get off my driveway - and i totally don't do that already, only because I live in an apartment." Instead, it was more like her yelling at entitled businessmen to get out of her parking spot, but hey they acted the same, businessmen, kids, same diff. 

"You certainly have a knack for insults, glad I'm not on the end of them."

Mari charged in again, it was more or less a rinse and repeat - the beast was large, and clunky - it's attack slow and weak  against Shield - whose thorns did a decent chunk of damage. Mari sprung forth again, activating her <<Eternal Cyclone>> Sadly, it was rinse and repeat in more ways than one, the sands shifted - and Mari missed yet another attack. Despite her increased accuracy boost. Mari grit her teeth. THis...This was terrible. "You have got to be f**king kidding me, this is bullsh*t." Mari said with a small cough as she wiped her brow with the back of her hand. Good. Fighting in the heat was bothersome.

@Shield

Passive: En +1

Action: Eternal Cyclone > Land Shark  ID: 143393  BD: 3-1=2 +6-4 =Miss

Mari    [H: 0] - HP 1330/1330  | EN: 127/130 | DMG: 16+3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4+2  | BH: 66 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
Shield 
[H: 6] - HP: 1749/1830 | EN: 169/174 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 169 | EVA: -1 | ACC: 0 | LD: 5 | BH: 85 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

Land Shark Terra Firma  HP: 551/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4

• << Assault Mode >> : LD 10+ [hidden players spotted, ACC and EVA switch for his attack only, partial phase on a nat 9, and full phase on nat 10]
  • << Move Swiftly >> : [Concentration skill ineffective, players take -1 to ACC]
Edited by Mari

Passive: EN Regeneration [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+85 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP]

Action: Vengeful Riposte [-4 EN - Housing Bonus 1/3 remaining]

Mari    [H: 0] - HP 1330/1330  | EN: 127/130 | DMG: 16+3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4+2  | BH: 66 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
Shield 
[H: 6] - HP: 1830/1830 | EN: 166/174 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 169 | EVA: -1 | ACC: 0 | LD: 5 | BH: 85 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

Land Shark Terra Firma  HP551/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4

ID# 143394 results: Loot: 9 [No Proc] MOB: 2+1=3 - Miss

Terra Firma was once an intimidating foe for him. When he was a little tier two player, he refused to tank for the fight, noting the phase abilities of the boss and how much havoc it would wreck on his then much smaller health pool. Now, even at maximum damage, Shield wondered if the land shark would even be able to keep damage on him. "Well, suffice it to say, you're not the only one who's been leveling. With the upcoming twenty fifth boss, I won't allow myself any breaks. Max level or bust!"

On the tail end of his determined decree, he threw out his sword arm and held the blade up defensively, preparing to defend against the incoming attack. The land shark scuffed at the sand and barreled forward, charging on all fours before pouncing...

And overshooting Shield by several feet. It landed and tumbled, writhing on its back for a moment before rolling back and forth and righting itself like a capsized turtle. "Well, that was anticlimactic."

Edited by Shield

"PFfft..." Mari snorted and laughed into her scarf. "I wish others had that same sorta gumption, I keep getting told to slow down or not be so crazy when I talk about trying to max things out before the boss fight. They call me crazy, but I'm going to go hard to get as close to that max level cap as I can before that fight. I'm only 22 levels away from there."

With that Mari ran to attack. Her <<Eternal Cyclone>> Did ...well it did nothing. Mari was begining to lose her gusto...this ...this was the battle of Cerberus all over again...she wasn't landing a single hit. It was always like this. She was on a roll, she was feeling good - then something like this. Something that just kept on pushing her back. Mari shook her head, what the hell was the reason she kept on trying to do these stupid ass quests. "It's always the bloody sandy ones where I mess up..." SHe muttered. "It's gotta be the heat. I guess it's all yours.Go on do your thorns thing.." Mari said with a grin, noticing she had leveled up from the fight. She knew she was pretty close to leveling, she just didn't think she was that close. 

Mari shielded her eyes from the sun, squinting. "I dunno about you but after this, but I'd prefer if we found a shady spot, maybe with some wind resistance, know anywhere that's PKer friendly?"

@Shield

Passive: EN Regeneration [+1 EN

ID: 143395 BD: 4-1+6-4=MISS

Mari    [H: 0] - HP 1330/1330  | EN: 126/130 | DMG: 16+3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4+2  | BH: 66 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
Shield 
[H: 6] - HP: 1830/1830 | EN: 166/174 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 169 | EVA: -1 | ACC: 0 | LD: 5 | BH: 85 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

Land Shark Terra Firma  HP: 551/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4  -142

Edited by Mari

Passive: EN Regeneration [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+85 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP]

Action: Sharpness > Mari [-11 EN - Housing Bonus 0/3 remaining]

Mari    [H: 0] - HP 1330/1330  | EN: 126/130 | DMG: 16+3+3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4+2  | BH: 66 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
Shield 
[H: 6] - HP: 1704/1830 | EN: 156/174 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 169 | EVA: -1 | ACC: 0 | LD: 5 | BH: 85 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

Land Shark Terra Firma  HP: 475/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4 - [ENV - 18 dmg 4/4 turns remaining]

ID# 144057 results: Loot: 14 [Assault Mode Proc] MOB: 10+4+1=15 - Hit! 250+2/2=151-25=126 dmg [ENV Proc] [Riposte Proc - 252/2=151-75=76 dmg]

"I might know somewhere," Shield said, keeping his eyes on the land shark. He narrowed his eyes, squinting not just because of the sand, but because the foe had yet to really show what it was made of. He held out his sword arm and began to charge a globe of red light, holding steady until it was finished before tossing it to Mari. "A little extra pepper for those attacks. Take your time..."

You're not using your abilities, sharky... I suppose the fight is yet young, but I remember...

The eyes of the land shark flashed with a hateful, red glow, and its hands tensed, baring its already menacing foreclaws. Shield raised his sword just as Terra Firma vanished.

There's your Assault Mode!

Before Shield had even finished the thought, the beast had closed the gap between them. Just as anticipated, it had impaled itself on Shield's sword. It had also, however, slid its claws straight through his armor. "There's it's Phase attack..." His health took a hit, but so too had the shark's, not to mention taking on a new status effect. "Too bad for him that I'm designed to punish any time it hits, not just when it hits my defenses." His teeth were gritting from the impact, but that did not keep the triumphant smile from his lips.

Edited by Shield

Sharpness

Right that was the skill that he had used with Macradon. It had increased his damage, Mari gave him a nod. "T-Thanks!" It'd help..but only if she was able to hit the damn thing. Whatever confidence she had was beginning to get shot - ripped apart. Was she going to be this useless all the time? Maybe he shouldn't have wasted it on her... Mari gripped her dagger and went in to attack, but once again....for what - the third? fourth? Time now...she missed.

"GOd. F**king DAMMit!" Mari spat as she threw her dagger down into the ground. She felt terrible. What the hell was the point of her being here if she couldn't help him? Mari picked up her dagger. Mari chuckled awkwardly, she hadn't had all that much luck lately with her crafts, still...she was pumping them out and her policy of 'I don't care pay whatever' worked out decently well in her store. "I'd offer to go with you again on this, but I feel like I'd be useless at this rate..." Mari muttered as she pulled the neckline of her top away from her skin to allow some breeze through.  

Passive: EN Regeneration [+1 EN]

ID: 144059 - BD1 MISS

Action:  Eternal Cyclone > Landshark MISS 

Mari    [H: 0] - HP 1330/1330  | EN: 125/130 | DMG: 16+3+3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4+2  | BH: 66 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
Shield 
[H: 6] - HP: 1704/1830 | EN: 156/174 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 169 | EVA: -1 | ACC: 0 | LD: 5 | BH: 85 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

Land Shark Terra Firma  HP: 475/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4 - [ENV - 18 dmg 4/4 turns remaining]

ID# 144057 results: Loot: 14 [Assault Mode Proc] MOB: 10+4+1=15 - Hit! 250+2/2=151-25=126 dmg [ENV Proc] [Riposte Proc - 252/2=151-75=76 dmg]

@Shield

Edited by Mari

Passive: EN Regeneration [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+85 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] Cool Downs [Parry - 0/1 remaining] [Vengeful Riposte - 2/3 remaining]

Action: Energize > Mari [Shield: -10 EN, Mari: +8 EN]

Mari    [H: 0] - HP 1330/1330  | EN: 130/130 | DMG: 16+3+3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4+2  | BH: 66 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
Shield 
[H: 6] - HP: 1749/1830 | EN: 147/174 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 169 | EVA: -1 | ACC: 0 | LD: 5 | BH: 85 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

Land Shark Terra Firma  HP: 358/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4 - [ENV - 18 dmg 3/4 turns remaining]

ID# 144060 results: Loot: 8 {No Proc] MOB: 5+1=6 - Hit! 250-169=81 dmg [THN Proc - 99 dmg]

<< Assault Mode >> : LD 10+ [hidden players spotted, ACC and EVA switch for his attack only, partial phase on a nat 9, and full phase on nat 10]

"Don't you dare give up on this fight!" Shield barked, giving Mari a sidelong look as sharp as the buff he had passed her. "Terra Firma looks clumsy, but he's fast, and he's a lot more nimble than he seems like he should be." He held out his sword again, focusing his energy there, though this time it was a pale blue. He tossed the glowing sphere of light to Mari, watching as her energy gauge ticked back up. "There's no shame in missing an opponent that is tricky to hit. Accept the possibility of missing, anticipate it, then start working towards overcoming the obstacle."

At this point, his health had completely recovered. He knew Mari was frustrated, but he had to control himself to keep the amusement from his face - not at her expense, but at the foe's.

That attack was everything it had. Full phase and everything. And the damage didn't even stick. I could take a nap if I wanted. Then again, I managed to parry some of that, so who knows?

Edited by Shield

Mari gave Shield a nod as he renewed her energy. "THanks." She managed. "Though I don't really need it." She sighed as she looked down at her blade. She hadn't managed to land a single hit. Shields words..helped somewhat. Mari just gave him a small grin. "Yeh." She said un-enthusiastically as she kicked at the sandy ground. "Sure doesn't help when you have a sandy area like this." Mari almost slipped as she kicked at it.

"GIve me a sec to get my head back into the game." Mari said to him before turning her attention back to Terra Firma. She had to take a few deep breaths. Her eyes on the Terra Firma. Shield was right - the creature seemed to dip its feet below the sand, using  its clawed feet to shift through the sand. Right....no....Shield was right, it did move far better than usual. STill...despite that Mari couldn't help but blame herself for the poor effort on her part. She wanted this to go well- but thus far it was just her flailing around in the sand.

ID: 144063 BD: 1

Action: Eternal Cylone > Land Shark 

Mari    [H: 0] - HP 1330/1330  | EN: 128/130 | DMG: 16+3+3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4+2  | BH: 66 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
Shield 
[H: 6] - HP: 1749/1830 | EN: 147/174 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 169 | EVA: -1 | ACC: 0 | LD: 5 | BH: 85 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

Land Shark Terra Firma  HP: 358/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4 - [ENV - 18 dmg 3/4 turns remaining]

ID# 144060 results: Loot: 8 {No Proc] MOB: 5+1=6 - Hit! 250-169=81 dmg [THN Proc - 99 dmg]

ID# 144057 results: Loot: 14 [Assault Mode Proc] MOB: 10+4+1=15 - Hit! 250+2/2=151-25=126 dmg [ENV Proc] [Riposte Proc - 252/2=151-75=76 dmg]

@Shield

Edited by Mari

Passive: EN Regeneration [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+85 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] Cool Downs [Vengeful Riposte - 1/3 remaining]

Action: Sharpness > Mari [Shield: -12 EN]

Mari    [H: 0] - HP 1330/1330  | EN: 128/130 | DMG: 16+3+3 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4+2  | BH: 66 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |
Shield 
[H: 6] - HP: 1749/1830 | EN: 136/174 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 169 | EVA: -1 | ACC: 0 | LD: 5 | BH: 85 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

Land Shark Terra Firma  HP: 241/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4 - [ENV - 18 dmg 2/4 turns remaining]

ID# 144064 results: Loot: 17 [Assault Mode Proc] MOB: 3+4+1=8 - Hit! 250-169=81 dmg [THN Proc - 99 dmg]

He wasn't getting through to her. Inside of Shield's head, he let out a string of curses, trying to think through how to reach Mari. He had seen her get inside her own head plenty in the short time they had known each other, but never in the middle of a fight before - not like this at least. He cast about, trying to come up with something. It didn't help that his defenses were at their prime when an enemy was skilled, meaning his own damage thus far as a tank was casting a shadow over hers as a DPS.

"I'm aware you didn't need the energy," Shield called out, this time charging up another Sharpness for her. "But all of my other abilities were on cool down, and I'm gonna find something to do. Now look at what's happened so far. What you've been trying hasn't been working, so try something else. He's gonna move fast. Anticipate that. You've watched him for a little bit. What's he going to do next? Where is he gonna be?" Terra Firma slammed into him again, this time his armor turning aside its sharpened talons. The shark's health dipped into the yellow now.

"You can't figure out where he's going to be two seconds in the future if you're focused on replaying the moment when you missed two seconds ago!"

Edited by Shield

Mari grit her teeth and dove in for another attack - she had taken the time to study the moves. That gave her the chance to figure out at least a part of its pattern. She flipped her blade back around again and  dove toward the beast. Unleashing all her frustrations in that single move, she tore into it.

"Finally!" Mari cried out as she managed to land a successful hit. Two extra status updates appeared above its head, she had managed to activate both bleed and burn. "FInally...f**king finally..." Mari muttered as she wiped her brow. It felt...insane. It was a relief. "I was loosing my mind there a bit...ahah..." Mari laughed, relieved. She wasn't sure what she would have done if she hadn't landed that blow too.

"Finally..." Mari breathed to herself a third time. It'd be dead soon, no matter what. "So....did you want that last hit item?" Mari asked Shield. "Considering you've done most of the work...." She added, kicking at the sand.

@Shield

ID: 144065  BD:10

Action: Eternal Cyclone > Land Shark 16+ 2 crit + 3+3= 24 x 13 =312-75 = 237

Shield 
[H: 6] - HP: 1749/1830 | EN: 136/174 | DMG: 2 | MIT: 169 | EVA: -1 | ACC: 0 | LD: 5 | BH: 85 | HB: 48 | THN: 99 | ENV: 18/4

Land Shark Terra Firma  HP: 4/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4 - [ENV - 18 dmg 2/4 turns remaining] BLEED 24 2/2  BRN 24 2/2

ID# 144064 results: Loot: 17 [Assault Mode Proc] MOB: 3+4+1=8 - Hit! 250-169=81 dmg [THN Proc - 99 dmg]

@Shield

Edited by Mari

Passive: EN Regeneration [+1 EN] Battle Healing [+85 HP] Holy Blessing [+48 HP] Cool Downs [Vengeful Riposte - 1/3 remaining]

Action: Basic Attack > Terra Firma [-1 EN] ID# 144066 results: Battle: 10-4=6 - Hit! 2+2-75=1 dmg

Shield 

Land Shark Terra Firma  HP: 0/650 | DMG: 250 | MIT: 75 |  ACC: 0 |  EVA: 4 - [ENV - 18 dmg 2/4 turns remaining] BLEED 24 2/2  BRN 24 2/2

Loot: 9 [No Proc] MOB: 7+1=8 Hit! 250-169=81 dmg [THN Proc - 99 dmg]

"Mari," Shield said, rolling his eyes, "I have absolutely no offense." He turned to face her and gesticulated with his sword arm "Attacking would be pointless, so whatever is going to happen-" Shield felt an impact at the end of his sword and looked over to see what had happened. His sword, still where he had left it after gesturing, was burried up to the hilt in Terra Firma's face. It had charged, and without realizing it, Shield had put his sword precisely where its head would be.

It shattered, and Shield was left dumbfounded, his mouth gaping open towards the now empty air beside him. He stood stock still for a long moment before throwing his hands up in the air. "WHAT!?" he tossed his sword to the side, not even watching as it dematerialized and returned to his inventory. The rewards readout appeared before him, and he clicked the accept button. Knowing that he had accidentally acquired the item intended for Mari, he quickly transferred the Terra Firma scale to her. "Nothing makes sense anymore. I'm going home."

Squinting into the desert, he shielded his eyes from the sun with his hand. "Over that way," he said, nodding in the direction he was facing. "There's a canyon we can use to get some shade and shelter from the sand and wind. It's a longer route, but much more comfortable. Plus, it might make egg hunting a little simpler too." He started walking, changing out items for his Seeking Aura earring, and leading Mari through the dunes until they hit a plateau. From there, he turned ninety degrees and continued for another five minutes before they came to a valley with a trench cutting out from the far side of it. The trench ran deeper and deeper, and as they wandered through it, it widened and the walls rose as they descended. "Little better?"

In the mean time, while there was yet a long walk ahead of them, Shield decided it was as good of a time as any to discuss what had been on his mind. "You mentioned earlier that players tend to look at you as a mentor or teacher figure," he began, his eyes preoccupied with scanning the surrounding area. "I know specifically you had mentioned your relationship with Yuki and such. Honestly, that is encouraging. It fits some of the goals that... a few players had in mind. Myself included." It was difficult making such a big ask. Mari had expressed self worth issues in the past, and on numerous occasions had belittled herself and spoken as though the were worthless. "Some of us will be starting a guild soon," he said, plunging in before it got any harder to do so. "We have a lot of our starting resources and our goals settled. What we need right now... is members. Specifically, a fourth founding member."

His eyes flicked over to Mari to try to read her reaction and how well she was following where he was heading. "Baldur, Oikawa and I all agreed that you were a good candidate to consider, and the way players tend to look up to you and want to learn from you fits exactly in line with our vision for the guild."

Edited by Shield

Mari laughed at Shields reaction.  "PFft...ahaha what where you saying about that sword?" Mari knew the damage was from all the status effects that had ailed the beast, but still. It was quite the laugh. Shield traded her the item; "Oh Thanks, I take it you already have one of these? We can always go again if you want, now, let’s get out to somewhere cooler.”

They started to walk, Mari had planned to ask Shield what was on his mind earlier, but he beat her to it. He mentioned the whole thing about others seeing her as either a teacher or parental figure. "Y-yeh?" She asked cautiously, Mari was too hot and too bothered to go into too much of the whole parental confrontation thing right now, and that was what she thought she was going to be asked. Instead - it was something different. He began to talk about goals -and resources along with starting a guild. "You're starting a guild?" Mari asked, "With Baldur I assume...he was talking about wanting to start something up. Like a school or something. Macradon wants to do a school too, they should really get together and discuss -" Mari paused as Shield continued.

He mentioned a fourth member, and again - Mari was about to mention Macradon- she knew he had ties to another guild, but also knew that he was considering leaving. He wasn't too happy with the direction it had gone lately. But then - Shield mentioned her. Her of all people? "I...what- hang on." Mari stopped in her tracks. "This is a lot of information - you want me as a fourth founding member...?" She shifted her gaze away, it was actually...really heartwarming to hear. "Even if the others think I'm a good fit - I see a few issues with that."

Mari sighed as she ran a hand through her hair, she didn't want to rebuke the offer so easily, but she didn't want to just agree so quickly either. "Now, I like all three of you - but that's...two Azure Brigade members, and a notorious Pker. Wouldn't that create a bit of an image problem?  We'd need to work on that, I know a chunk of players are okay with me now - but a chunk isn't good enough"  Mari began to pace side to side, tapping her lips as she talked loudly to herself. "I know a few ways we could do that; Oikawa may be orange - but he's also removed Zelrius, who was ever loved or hated -if we remove his orange crystal first...oh and I met up with Crozeph, I wonder if I could talk to him - if people knew that the brother of one of...the people whose lives I took forgive me...that might help, but I don't want to use him like that...." 

Edited by Mari
Spoiler

Searching for Materials - ID# 143827 results: Loot: 19+8=27 [1 Material found]

Total Loot:

Materials: 1

Out of the corner of his eye, Shield spotted a large chunk of metal ore as they passed by a large fissure in the right hand face of the canyon. He jogged over to grab it before returning to Mari. "The name we've kicked around so far is 'Jacob's Ladder,' which is a little religious sounding, but the parallels are pretty striking - people asleep, dreaming of ascending a great staircase to the next world - which ties nicely into the mission statement," he added, taking a breath. "Our goal is to fill the gaps in the front lines by being the much needed step-ladder in the supply chain. The two main resources we would seek to provide would be materials for the ATP to aid in their crafting, and people to fill in the much needed roles on the front lines - at the moment, that means healers and tanks."

"With your crafting and your mentoring of younger players, not to mention your plans to respec into healer, you're already lining up almost exactly with the aims of our guild." He took another pause, this time trusting that Mari would get the impression that he likely still had more to say. "Regarding the image issues, we're aware of them. Though I didn't even mention that Calrex is also going to be at least tangentially a part of the guild, which indeed makes it easier to draw lines to Azure Brigade.

"The main thing I will say is that our mission statement and our aim is a selfless one, and we are making our announcement by sending a very hefty donation of Col to the ATP as a gesture of goodwill. In theory, that alone will provide a significant majority of what will be needed to gear up for the boss fight," he said, raising an eyebrow. "On top of that, you will be an equal part in any decision making, meaning any issues that strike you as too close to those raised by the old Brigade can be dealt with before they go into practice, and it also means that should you be overruled, you will have every right to bow out."

"In all honesty, Baldur and I were planning to put together a guild for a long time, but at the time the needs of the front lines were not so great. We had originally planned to be something to unite the front line after some tumultuous arguments, but that backfired. This time things..." he mimed letting go of something with his hands, "just fell in our laps. When it came to a fourth pillar, both Oikawa and I thought of you individually, but he mentioned you first."

Edited by Shield

Mmm.....It sounds like you got a lot of this all planned out." Mari pulled her scarf further away from her face. "Did you all get together already to talk about it?" She paused. The answer was obvious, they had. "Jacobs ladder...." Mari wasn't a religious person, so she didn't get the connection - to her, it was a flower. "I used to have some of those flowers, Evelyn loved them. Kinda an interesting coincidence, isn't it?" She asked with a tilt of her head.

Mari paused to lean  her back against the cavern wall. "Truthfully... I was considering starting a guild at some point. When I was a guild leader we had various sects - and I'd take each one out...we'd all go gathering, and we were all going to split into groups of 2 to 4 people and help each other complete each and every quest... things....as you know fell apart...but I miss that. I miss the picnics and gatherings I'd take everyone on. I know I may never get to have that...simplicity again. But..." Mari closed her eyes.

She had this opportunity, it had somehow fallen right in her lap. "That's the statement right?" Mari asked quietly. "Dreaming of ascending the great staircase to the real world." She turned to Shield. "Sounds...sweet. The goals are pragmatic. Which is good, but - I don't want us to forget the small moments, like those picnics and dinners - It'd be nice to incorporate that into the guild." Mari pushed herself off the wall and approached Shield, waiting for him to finish collecting his eggs.

"But, I Suppose as a Pillar of the guild, I'll be able to organize such things, no?" Mari said as she reached out to pat his shoulder, probably the only time she'd ever be able to do so - since he was busy grabbing materials. Was that an obvious 'yes?'

"Yes."

Mari said, just in case. "I'm not sure how good I'll be, but if all three of you seem to find enough worth in me to have you ask -then I want to at least give it a shot."

@Shield

Edited by Mari
Spoiler

Searching for Chest - ID# 143889 results: Loot: 15+8=23 [Chest found]

Total Loot:

Materials: 1

"If by 'planned out' you mean 'happened to already be fishing together and just accidentally made a plan,' then yes," Shield said with a little wry smile twisting at the corner of his lips. As they made their way along the bottom of the canyon, it began to yawn wider, opening into a much less claustrophobic space. "As far as picnics and such, Baldur's vision was for the guild to be more of a family than some other guilds I've seen in the past. I think your ideas of outings will likely fit nicely with what we all have in mind."

It was a relief hearing Mari accept the offer so readily. He had expected debates and a few times at least to be asked to reconsider, but with the backing of multiple other players, she seemed able to more readily accept the invitation. "It is a relief to hear you say as such. There are still hurdles to clear. You will need to meet Beat. His general distrust for PKers will be a challenge, but potentially later a boon, since his acceptance despite a known disapproval of those with reputations of being killers will be a powerful endorsement."

As he was making his way up the final ascent out of the canyon, his earring flared up like a beacon, bright enough that he could see it even at the extreme angle of his peripheral. Glancing to either side, he spotted section of the wall where the creeping sands from the desert had tumbled down into the low-lying pathway to the bottom of the canyon, and at the very back of that mound of sand, there was a recess into the stone face of the wall. He jogged around the great sandy mound and spotted the lid and hinges of a chest tucked back into the shaded recess.

Edited by Shield