[F01 - PP] <<Earning a Living: Alchemist>>

Without hesitation, Elora reached down and clenched the stems of another carrot. This time, she yanked it free with so much force that the segment she was holding tore from the vegetable as it remained lodged in soil. "DAMMIT!", she yelled shrilly as she hurled the evaporating bundle toward the ground. It landed with a quiet and unsatisfying noise. "F*CK THESE STUPID -- WHAT EVEN ARE CARROT?! -- ROOTS!" In a fit of anger, she ripped out the remaining stocks until the entire patch was desolated. Elora huffed and got up to walk back up the hill that -- wait a second, where was Jackpot? After taking a moment to scan the surrounding area, she concluded that he must not have followed her down the bank in fear of fumbling over the terrain. Well, whatever, maybe he's looking for materials in another area. Hopefully he didn't wander too far away. Although she'd only just met him, Elora felt that she had an obligation to make sure he didn't get lost, or worse, since he had left the safety of the city to aid her in her mission to cure his impairment.

Spoiler

ID#: 176676 LD5 Fail 

Edited by Elora
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't until the giant crab's follow-up attack, and Jackpot's subsequent narrow dodge and successfully delivered Sword Art, that he came to realize the effects of his equipment were starting to fulfill their duty. Savvy worked to shore up is combat skills following his earlier dodge, fueling a successful hit which activated Keen and boosted his efficacy further. He was still shaking in his boots, but by the grace of Cardinal, he was carried through the motions almost through no will of his own, delivering a solid chunk of damage to the mob and making it away unscathed once more.

"Okay... Okay..." he self soothed as he attempted to slow his racing mind and quell his beating heart. "I can do this. Just gotta hit, and not get hit. Easy." Though, he knew that such a feat was easier said than done. At any rate, it seemed as though three or four more attacks like that would put the monster down, and he'd be free to make his escape unhindered.

Spoiler

[H: 1] Jackpot: HP: 80/80 | EN: 5/8 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 | Keen: 1 | Savvy: 1
[H: 0] Elora: HP: 20/20 | EN: 2/2 | DMG: 5 | ACC: 1 | Disengaged from combat

Jackpot used [x2] Rage Blow-2 EN

King Caron: HP: 32/40 | DMG: 12 | ID: 177296 | BD: 7, Hit for 4x2=8 DMG | MD: 6, Miss

• 2 weeks later...

Dusk appeared to be drawing near as waves of sunlight shimmered off the surfaces of nearby lakes and rivers. Elora was almost certain that time passed faster in this world, with its system's day and night cycles seemingly programmed to help players accomplish more within limited passing of its real-world counterpart. She could be wrong. After all, this was one of the first times since she'd entered the game that she had left the walls of the Town of Beginnings in search of something more, well, productive to do. Breaking her routine of moping about her room, and occasionally the streets, made her feel much more constrained, limited in what she accomplish with the time available to her. It all seemed a bit oxymoronic. 

unnamed.jpg.2817d4964dfc7ab335588d9e36502194.jpgWhatever the case, she now had a deadline. It would be important to collect all of the materials she needed to cure Jackpot of his blindness before darkness set in and the monsters came out. In a small cove, Elora could spot an assortment of what looked to be aloe plants. With a hurried hand, she attempted to pluck one of their stocky stems, only to have it snap under the pressure of her gloved fingers. Sh*t. Why is this so difficult? Well, I won't have any choice but to keep trying. I hope he's doing alright. 

Spoiler

ID#: 178321 LD13 Fail

Edited by Elora

The sun had begun dipping past the horizon, spilling its crimson into the sky and painting the clouds scarlet. While the scene would have ordinarily been a pleasant one to behold, Jackpot hadn't the luxury to take note of the colors present in the sunset. He had to keep his eyes on this stupid giant crab, praying it didn't kill him whilst enduring the ever-waning light that gave him some semblance of peace of mind during the engagement. While he knew he would miss more and more once the sun had gone, he didn't know whether or not that same could be said for his crustraceous adversary.

Another direct hit issued, its health fell a bit more - just above the halfway point now. The creature unceremoniously slammed one of its massive craws into the ground beside Jackpot in response, a strike that almost certainly would have flattened the violet salesman into a pancake instantaneously if it had managed to score a direct hit.

Adrenaline and fear surged through his heart like fuel through the ever-oscillating pistons of a well oiled engine, delegating tasks to his extremities in lieu of input from his mind, which had seemingly gone blank and numb. It was all instinct and the system assistance carrying him through the motions now - but how long could he actually hold out like that?

Spoiler

[H: 2] Jackpot: HP: 80/80 | EN: 4/8 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 | Keen: 1 | Savvy: 1
[H: 0] Elora: HP: 20/20 | EN: 2/2 | DMG: 5 | ACC: 1 | Disengaged from combat

Jackpot used [x2] Rage Blow-2 EN

King Caron: HP: 26/40 | DMG: 12 | ID: 178489 | BD: 8, Hit for 4x2=8 DMG | MD: 2, Miss

A sizable tremor rippled through the earth beneath Elora's knees just as the girl was preparing to pick another leaf. Naturally, the phenomenon was enough to break her concentration, this time served with an additional helping of panic. What the F*CK was that...?, she worried as she climbed to her feet and scanned the surrounding landscape, I don't even know where that could have come from. Deciding it best to investigate if for no other reason than to better avoid a confrontation, Elora slowly crept up the hill she had earlier descended in an attempt to relocate -- "J-JACKPOT!", the purple haired man would have been able to hear her cry out from behind him, "SH*T -- DON'T WORRY! I'LL HELP YOU!" 

Without hesitation, Elora rushed into battle, fashioning her spear into some sort of harpoon in order to save her impaired companion. She wound back the weapon, then hurled it forward with all of the strength she could muster. It soared toward the gargantuan crab, then promptly, flew past its figure, missing it completely. Elora watched in horror and disbelief as her oversized toothpick firmly lodged itself into the squishy ground beside the far crustier crustacean. "I-I CAN STILL KILL IT! J-JUST DON'T PANIC!!", she unsuccessfully tried to reassure him through a display of stuttering sentences and flailing arms.

Spoiler

[H: 2] Jackpot: HP: 80/80 | EN: 4/8 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 | Keen: 1 | Savvy: 1
[H: 0] Elora: HP: 20/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 5 | ACC: 1

Elora used Basic Attack -2 EN FOR MISS
ID#: 178530 BD2 Miss

King Caron: HP: 26/40 | DMG: 12

Edited by Elora

What was that wailing? 

Oh. It was Elora, "coming to the rescue." Oh geez.

"The hell are you doing h-" His inquiry was cut short as the crab swatted him with its gargantuan claw, setting its sights on the now disarmed Elora once he was out of the way. It shuffled her direction as Jackpot skittered across the damp soil, and once he'd had the sense to take a look at his own health gauge, he knew that it wouldn't be good if she took a hit. "Son of a bitch," he muttered as he rose to his feet, trembling slightly as the fear pulsed through his extremities. As terrified as he was, allowing Elora to take the brunt of his mistake wasn't an option. Though it stood powerful enough to kill either of them, Jackpot could at the very least take more hits. There was something to be said about that.

He rushed forth, scimitar gleaming verdant as he poured his energy into it, slashing at the joint of its craw as it rose it into the air to plunge downward into Elora. Its pincer came severed from its arm just before it initiated the strike, causing the monster to double back and shriek its hideous shriek. Jackpot, still shaking, assumed his place before his unlikely comrade. "Y-you okay?"

Spoiler

[H: 4] Jackpot: HP: 68/80 | EN: 3/8 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 | Keen: 1 | Savvy: 1

Jackpot used [x2] Rage Blow, -2 EN

King Caron: HP: 14/40 | DMG: 12 | ID: 178539 | BD: 10, Hit for 6x2=12 DMG | MD: 7, Hit for 12 DMG

One moment she was bracing herself for getting shish-kebabed by the giant pincers, then next, she was watching in amazement as one spun freely through the air. How the hell had that happened? Her relieved eyes, still fearful from the encounter, flickered over to regard Jackpot dexterously wielding a scimitar to ward off the beast. How is he able to...? Can he sense where it is...? Did his vision just...?, the unlikely possibilities were dismissed from her mind about as quickly as they arose.

Then, it finally occurred to her.

"YOU COULD SEE THIS WHOLE TIME?!", she shrieked in anger, "W-WHAT THE HELL?!" Elora ripped her spear free from the ground, probably seeming as though she was prepared to stab Jackpot instead of the creature. "Why did you lie to me?! Do you have some ulterior motive?" Before he would have the chance to answer, Elora turned to throw her weapon at the crab once again. It completely missed its target, this time sticking itself into the trunk of a tree on the opposite side of the field. "FUCK!", she yelled in frustration at the overwhelming amount of failed attempts to gather and to attack.

Spoiler

[H: 4] Jackpot: HP: 68/80 | EN: 3/8 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 | Keen: 1 | Savvy: 1

Elora used "Basic Attack", -1 EN
ID#: 178628 BD1 Critical Fail

King Caron: HP: 14/40 | DMG: 12

Edited by Elora

Jackpot nearly had to duck to avoid the spear as it sailed past his head (and the mob) before lodging into a nearby tree. If he hadn't known better, he may have assumed that she was actually aiming at him instead of their shared adversary. A part of him did assume that, which only exacerbated the shaking in his knees. 

"H-Hey now, let's-s not get hasty here..." he managed between labored breaths as he held his hands up in a disarming manner. The crab's gigantic pincer came down between the two players as they distracted themselves with the revelation of Jackpot's sight, reducing the earth that rested there into... well, still dirt, but just more mulched up and stuff.

"LOOK," he blurted out, half out of frustration, and half out of unbridled fear. "I get that you're angry, and you have every right to be, and I'm absolutely willing to discuss ALL OF THAT after we aren't FIGHTING A DEADLY ABOMINATION."

Spoiler

[H: 4] Jackpot: HP: 68/80 | EN: 2/8 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 | Keen: 1 | Savvy: 1

Jackpot used [x2] Rage Blow, -2 EN FOR MISS

King Caron: HP: 14/40 | DMG: 12 | ID: 178704 | BD: 1, Miss | MD: 5, Miss

Elora stumbled backwards in a clumsy motion to avoid being pulverized by the gigantic pincer. She was amazed to have had the agility to avoid the attack. Still, she knew that it was unlikely that her stupid luck would last much longer, especially if the events from earlier served as any indication for her rate of success. 

"Fine!", she blurted out. It wasn't in her interest to settle a score now anyways. Jackpot was likely a lot stronger than her and she would need to work together with him in order to take down the killer crab. "Watch out -- I'm going in for another attack!", she warned as she freed her spear from the trunk. Elora rushed over to the crab, hesitating for only a moment before she was able to spot, then sink the tip her spear into one of the creature's many meaty joints. The thing writhed and its snapped its maws together threateningly at her. She quickly recoiled and ran out from beneath its wiry legs to hide behind Jackpot, who was still standing and rattling like a maraca nearby. With a gentle prod from the butt of her staff, she coaxed him forward, "O-ok, I hit it! It's your turn again now!" Elora had only fought once before and was clearly too afraid to take her chances with being hit. She needed someone else to show her how it was done before she would feel confident enough to engage in combat at such a low level.

Spoiler

[H: 4] Jackpot: HP: 68/80 | EN: 2/8 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 | Keen: 1 | Savvy: 1
[H: 1] Elora: HP: 20/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 5 | ACC: 1

ID#: 178741 BD9 + 1 = 10 Minor Critical Hit
Elora deals 5 + 1 = 6 DMG

King Caron: HP: 8/40 | DMG: 12

Edited by Elora

Though Elora's lingering disdain was painfully evident, Jackpot didn't have the luxury of lamenting over it. Before them stood a grotesque, deadly crustacean. That was walking around the fields of the first floor. Somehow.

"Right," he muttered as his brief respite from the throes of battle was relinquished. He was up to bat again, and only with measured precision and practiced movement would he be capable of pulling any damage through.

Or, you know, dumb luck.

Because as it turned out, grass wasn't the only thing that blanketed the fields of the first floor. Seemingly immovable rocks littered the expanse, and Jackpot had been fortunate to find the toe of his boot planted firmly against the course surface of a conveniently placed specimen. His upper body pitched forward, his arms flailed outward, and in an unceremonious display of crude fortune, his blade found its mark against one of the creature's fleshy joints. As it traced a thin red line across the area of impact, its health gauge flickered ever so lower. 

It was on its last legs now.

"Please, for the love of god, kill this fucking thing," he managed between labored breaths as he scrambled to his feet, narrowly avoiding the flagrant flailing of the monster as it reeled from the damage it had sustained. "I can't keep this up any longer."

Spoiler

[H: 5] Jackpot: HP: 68/80 | EN: 2/8 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 | Keen: 1 | Savvy: 1
[H: 1] Elora: HP: 20/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 5 | ACC: 1

Jackpot used [x1] Basic Attack, -1 EN

King Caron: HP: 4/40 | DMG: 12 | ID: 178757 | BD: 4+1+1+1=7, Hit for 4 DMG | MD: 6-1=5, Miss

Elora quickly followed Jackpot's lead, partially in anticipation of him requiring some sort of assistance. To her surprise, it seemed that he would be able to land a successful hit, even on account of his sloppy approach. As his performance caught the monster's attention, Elora found the chance to flank King Caron. Slipping around its skittering legs, she managed to pierce its shelly belly as it teetered uncontrollably from the prior attack. 

Contact from her weapon caused the giant crab to screech in defeat before exploding into a swarm of flittering pixels. In the wake of their victory, Elora found herself heaving from exhaustion. She quickly flopped onto the ground with arms splayed, excited to finally have even the briefest opportunity to rest. The icons of various items and rewards chimed in congratulations as they hovered around her then quickly disappeared into the safety of her inventory. 

"It's FINALLY over!", she cheered with two fists held wearily toward the sky, "Can we go back to the city now?"

Spoiler

[H: 5] Jackpot: HP: 68/80 | EN: 2/8 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 1 | EVA: 1 | Keen: 1 | Savvy: 1
[H: 2] Elora: HP: 20/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 5 | ACC: 1

ID#: 179440 BD5 + 1 = 6
Hit
Elora deals 5 DMG

King Caron: HP: 0/40 | DMG: 12 

Looting:

King Caron ID#: 179441 LD: 14 | CD: 9 
(40*3 = 120) + (40*2 = 80) + (40*2 = 80) = 280 Col
(2) T1 Materials [ID#: 179441A]
(1) Unidentified T1 Rare Armor/Shield [ID#: 179441B]

(4/5 Materials Found)

Edited by Elora

"Knowing your luck, probably not," Jackpot murmured as he fell into the grass beside his companion, a single forearm draped dramatically over his eyes as though to hide the shame of his deceptive endeavors being brought to light. It's never fun to get caught in a lie, and he'd been caught in a big one. Even though he assumed he may never see Elora again after this encounter, it was still embarrassing to have someone see him in such a pathetic state. Not only was he a liar - he was a coward.

Had lying to save himself the shame of his blunders in the beginning really been worth the shame he was feeling now?

With a deep exhale, he steadied himself to fess up. "Look," he began, "I didn't mean to lie to you. But when you assumed I was blind, it seemed like a convenient excuse for my awkwardness when we met. I figured this would go quick, you would miraculously 'cure' my blindness, and we'd part ways and never have to deal with one another again."

Probably came off harsher than he'd intended. While verbiage like that would have been accurate in the beginning, something about fighting for your life beside someone forms an unavoidable bond.

"Sorry."

Another unsuccessful attempt passed as Elora half-heartedly tried to pluck a flower from the end of its spiraling stem. Really? Not even a basic flower? 

She slowly rolled her head to one side so that she could gauge the sincerity of Jackpot's apology. Unfortunately, his expressions were concealed by an arm that he was using to shade his eyes from the final glaring rays of sunlight as they spilled over the mountainous horizon. 

"I figured this would go quick...and we'd part ways and never have to deal with one another again."

Isn't that...still how this is going to end?, she found herself questioning with uncharacteristic sadness. 

"It's fine...", began Elora with an obvious indication of the emotion resonating through her voice, "It was my fault for messing up and jumping to conclusions. I'm sorry for forcing you play along with it and for guilting you into following me out here. If I hadn't been so blind myself, then maybe we wouldn't be stuck in this sh*tty situation" Elora's eyes looked downward and onto the wilting plant as it laid limply in her hand. "Well, now that we both know that this wasn't what we wanted, I guess you can go back to doing...whatever it was you were doing. It's probably going to take me all night to finish this quest, but I might as well at least try to become an Alchemist at this point. Anyway...you don't have to waste anymore of your time with helping me..."

Spoiler

ID#: 179626 LD6 Fail

Edited by Elora

Jackpot could feel his face skin and eyelids being pulled down toward his chin, almost peeling like the skin from a banana as he held back a groan in response to her obvious guilt trip.

"No, you didn't force me to do shit," he responded. "And I came all the way out here already, so I may as well stick around until you learn to pick a flower properly."

With a huff, he sat up, then pushed off from the ground into a standing position. He outstretched a single, open palm, beckoning the slender woman to grab hold and raise to her feet. "I don't want to fight another crab. Let's do this quick."

Once she was on her feet, Jackpot pointed to a tree roughly fifty paces away. "See it?" In case he hadn't been clear enough, he clarified, "The notch in the tree. Er- hole. Whatever they call it. That's where I usually find stuff. I don't craft, but some people like to buy 'em. When you need to restock, shoving your arm into a tree hole usually seems to do the trick."

"Yeah, I...", began Elora as she approached the tree. Upon closer inspection, it seemed like, "Jackpot, this is just the hole that my spear made when it got stuck in the tree" She looked back to him and saw that he wasn't all that amused by her sarcastic tone. "Alright, alright. I'll look around..." The novice player began to encompass the surrounding trunks in search of a supple...hole...to rummage through. "There don't seem to be all that many around here...", she admitted with a sigh, her elven ears starting to droop solemnly in defeat.

"Are there any other things you to like to fist when you search for materials?", remarked Elora with a playful smirk. "If you normally look for the same stuff as me, does that mean that you're an Alchemist too?" Curiosity grew in her voice as she seemed to become excited at the possibility. "Do you know how to -- like -- make all sorts of battle buffs and love potions and stuff?" Clearly, she wasn't very familiar with the mechanics of the game.

Spoiler

ID#: 179735 LD6 Fail 

Edited by Elora

Jackpot was only mildly annoyed when she asked if he, too, was an Alchemist. "Like I told you when we met - I'm a Merchant. Essentially one of the appraisers of Aincrad." The more he thought about it, the more unlikely it seemed that she would have overlooked something like that while assuming he was blind. How could he appraise items if he couldn't even see them? This, coupled with the fact that she'd legitimately just asked him if he was an Alchemist, led him to believe that she'd nary listened to a word he'd said since they met.

"Sometimes I'll fist monsters, too," he admitted with a smirk. "The weak ones, anyways. They can drop loot, not unlike the one we killed earlier. I had tried out the Martial Arts weapon type for a time, but ultimately decided it wasn't for me. Too 'hands on.' I know, shocker." Whiskey-colored orbs flickered across the field, locating the lights of the far-off city that now ignited the darkened skies in a fiery haze. 

"Come on. We'll look for more holes on our way back to town."

"Oh, sorry...I forgot...", she said remorsefully. It was just like her to forget important details like that or even miss them all together. Truthfully, it was a large part of the reason why she struggled so much with grasping different concepts and taking tests in secondary school. Sometimes if she was redundant enough in trying to commit something to memory, she would get lucky enough for it to stick. This, obviously, had not been one of those times. 

Elora nodded in response to Jackpot's mention of the fighting style, "Yeah, I think whatever you're using now suits you better. You dealt a lot of damage to that monster!" Her mood appeared to brighten a little bit upon hearing him direct them back to town. She was really looking forward to this long day coming to an end.

Luckily, it seemed she wouldn't have to wait much longer. Beside the path that they travelled on, Elora spotted a particularly depressed stump. It wasn't sad or in need of a hug or anything, but maybe, just maybe, it was waiting for the right player to come along and stick their hand into into its cavity as a means to seize their own fulfilment. Which would be pretty selfish, really. 

"That one seems like it holds a lot of secrets...", she stated enthusiastically beneath her breath. Swiftly striding over to it, she noticed the faint glow of a familiar light indicating that an item was near. With little hesitation, Elora reached into the hole, wrapped her fingers around what she hoped was only a stem, and pulled out a carrot. "OH SHIT!", she started to yell, "IT'S A CARROT! JACKPOT, I PICKED A CARROT!"

Spoiler

ID#: 180140 LD19 Success (5/5 Materials Found)

Edited by Elora

What was this bizarre flattery? A mob like that was the bare minimum someone like Jackpot could be expected to run into. He hadn't done a lot of damage - in fact, his output had been abysmal. Elora could probably squeeze out more damage points than he could. "I appreciate the kind words, but-"

"IT'S A CARROT! JACKPOT, I PICKED A CARROT!"

What?

She'd found a carrot. In a stump.

"Wow," Jackpot remarked, genuine enthusiastic surprise lighting his face ablaze. "Haven't seen that before. Usually when I fist a tree I'll get, like, acorns. Or twigs or... something tree-related. Never a carrot." He squinted to appraise the tangerine specimen, clutching his chin in a single hand as he scrutinized its rough exterior. There was no mistaking it - this was, indeed, a genuine carrot. Or, as genuine as a full-dive system would allow, anyways.

"The irony of finding this now, after discovering my eyesight is fine, isn't lost on me," he concluded, straightened his back and allowing his hand to fall to his side. "That should be everything you need, right? To make your potion. Now we just need to head back to that maniac NPC and finish the quest by crafting one."

"Well, I already managed to pick one earlier, so finding another really isn't all that novel", she decided, then added with a shrug, "But I guess having a spare in case something goes wrong is never a bad thing" Elora stood up and stretched her arms high into the air before returning to her usual hunched position. With a lethargic yawn, she agreed, "Yeah, let's head back already and get this thing over with"

Although the two of them entered Evangeline's shop late into the night, the female NPC appeared to be just as enthused and preoccupied with crafting potions as she had that morning, when they had first encountered her. After a brief greeting, Elora presented her findings to the Alchemist. 

"Did you even find ANYTHING from the list of items that I gave you?", she snapped as she inspected severed segments of monster flesh alongside the occasional carrot and singular stock of mint. Evangeline sighed and lifted a hand to rub her temple, "I hope you understand that I won't be able to help you craft anything that can heal visual impairments with any of this..."

"That's fine, I don't need it anymore --", Elora nearly interjected as she picked up her things and shuffled her way over to a cauldron that sat in the corner of the room. "Is this what I use to make stuff?"

"Y-Yes. But you can't just --", the alchemist raised a cautious hand before rushing to the player's side, "Throw things into it..." Elora, in her eagerness, had already tossed a carrot into the pot, hoping that the action alone would cause something magical to happen. Instead, the ensuing chemical reaction caused a plume of noxious smoke to billow forth and flood the room in a sea of orange. "Here...", she offered reluctantly, "Take these monster parts and break them into smaller pieces. Gradually increase the heat as you stir, and pay attention to what color the solution turns." Elora followed the directions as Evangeline continued to instruct, "You should see some simmering cause the salve to become lighter. There! Now, you don't want it to turn much darker than that, or that means you've burnt it -- and it won't be as effective then. Ok...OK! Stop -- I said that was enough!" The woman quickly helped a nervous Elora transport the contents into a small vile before allowing her the honor of sealing it with a cork. 

"Whoaaa, it's soo...", the green-haired player marveled as she inspected her first creation, "Chunky..."

Spoiler

Elora Crafts "Crab Shake" (Uncommon T1 Salve)
"A very viscus and pink-colored concoction with the odor of blood and brine. Hard pieces of shell gradually separate and sink to the bottom of the mixture."

Attempt #1:
ID#: 180241 CD2 
Fail

Attempt #2:
ID#: 180242 CD10 
Success

Edited by Elora
  • 1 month later...

Jackpot visibly recoiled as he inspected the bizarre concoction, doing his best to hold back a gag reflex that seemed wholly unrelenting. "That's... disgusting..." he remarked, pinching his nose so as to prevent its putrid stench from entering his body. "At least it's done now," he concluded, voice significantly more nasal-y on account of the pinched nose. He took a few steps backward, feigning a puke lurch as he did so, and distanced himself between the dainty woman and the meat liquid she'd crafted. Though her anxious tutor seemed proud of her pupil, Jackpot was anything but.

"Don't come near me with that," he warned in the same nasal-y tone, holding out a hand with a single index finger extended. It wagged in a manner far too sassy for a straight man. "I want nothing to do with it."

Now that his impromptu presentation of unintentional femininity had been put on display, a tinge of crimson coated his ivory cheeks and he averted his gaze. "I'm serious."