Grecian architecture had always fascinated the brunette. Though his attire bore Egyptian themes, he was a fan of many mythos. Egyptian and Greek being his two favorites, but one striking a little more close to home. Marbled steps and columns had a certain air to them that set them apart from normal buildings. The setting nearly felt mythological in itself. But that was Aincrad's job to say the least if what he had heard was right about the referencing mechanics.

That being said, he had to enjoy the view of the marbled cities from afar. The curse of being orange to say the least, but only a small price to pay for what it cost him. Glancing over the mountainside he found himself in, he returned to the valley that would take him to floor eighteen. Finding a clearing, he perched himself amongst the rocks circling the area. The trees were no different than most floors, but the feeling they gave off was the same; something magical. He just couldn't place his finger on it.

Letting that thought wander off, he drafted up a message. It had been nearly a week since his confession to Mari. They had never been close really. At odds for a majority of the time they had known each other and really only because she was misunderstood. They had shared a moment. His moment. One of weakness and un-surety. But he came to her regardless. Sought her out in his time of need and still he only vaguely understood why. But fate had a funny way of bringing people together he supposed and was lucky to have met her again on different terms. He sighed. His fingers hadn't moved an inch. The cursor blinking rhythmically in the message field, reminding him that he was still unsure of what to do or say.

Mulling it over, he made a decision. Why not invite her to his outing? They could talk it out maybe? Or perhaps she could fill him in on the events after the guild meeting since he and Shield had left them alone. He sighed again. He just didn't want things to be awkward or mucked up between them. He shouldn't have said anything really. But alas, like Kiru, and Kotori before her, he couldn't help but drawn to her even if it was only a friendship and nothing more. He would be fine with that. It was still a huge difference between friendship and nearly coming to blows with one another and if that wasn't growth, he wasn't sure what was.

Rapping at the digital keyboard he sent Mari the following:

To: @Mari

Hey Snowflower, it's been a while. Care to find Mt. Olympia with me? I'm near the 18th Floor entrance if you'd like to partake. Just let me know

-Oikawa

Closing out the messenger, he would await her response. If nothing else, this floor had plenty adventure to offer and he wouldn't let the day go to waste either way.

Mari blinked. Surprised Oikawa had wanted to see her. Sure, they had seen each other here and there. But it was all business - the guild meeting, the dungeons. She hadn't really gotten the chance to just talk to him. Something had always come up. Something always stopped them. Mari in part, thought it may have been better that way - that way she couldn't mess things up any more than she already had. She couldn't upset him any more than she would have. Oikawa had seen her quite possibly at some of her worst moments. He was the only person who seemed to notice just how tired she was. 

It was because he was watching. Not in a creepy 'I watch you sleep at night' kind of way. But in the way you keep an eye on someone you care about, in the way you notice the small differences - like the different smiles they have. The way their brows furrow or the rise and fall of their shoulders. It was the same way she had seen Baldur - so Mari understood.

To: Oikawa

I'll be there soon.
x
Mari.

It didn't take too long for her to get to Floor 17 - perhaps an hour, a little more. She was already on the 21st floor so she just had to make her way down. Slowly but surely. Mari traced the location he had given her. Mari saw the sparkling orange of his cursor first, as she climbed higher up the grassy hill. Atop the hill was a clearing, tall grass tickled her shins, and a gust of wind picked up - causing Mari to shield her eyes from the fiery ginger of her hair as it whipped across her pale, freckled face. As the gust died down Mari slowly lowered her hand - Seeing him there. Perched peacefully among large rocks that had been dotted throughout the area.

Broad shoulders pressed against cold rock - brilliant shades of gold and sun-kissed brown shone brilliantly in the afternoon sun. The golds glinting, shining. Oikawa was always like that, always so bright. Like the sun. He was warm, and he bought comfort to many. His golden eyes rose to meet her gaze. It was like two opposing forces - the unbridled warmth of his amber against the unrelenting cold ice of her cerulean. He looks so peaceful."Oikawa." Mari said as she approached him, bending over so she could meet his gaze. "Didn't I say the name Snowflower doesn't suit me at all?" She chastised lightly with a faint, tired smile. Mari reached out and placed a single index finger at the apex of his forehead. "Do I need to start flicking you whenever you say it?" She added with a small laugh as she removed her finger and sat opposite him. A part of her screamed, told Mari it was wrong to to that to him. To touch him, her touch was vile. It was debased. It made others flinch, it pushed people away. And Mari didn't want to push anyone else away. She didn't want to watch Oikawa fade, become faint. 

"What brings you out here?" Mari asked as she re-positioned herself, folding her legs beneath her. Blue eyes shifted way from him - down toward the grassy knoll. A hand gently grazed over the top of the soft grass. "I always forget how nice the sun feels." She commented.

@Oikawa

Spoiler

General
Level: 70 | HP: 1430  |Energy: 140

STATS

DAM: 16 | EVA 3  | MIT 43 | ACC 4 | 

BATTLE COPY

Mari    [H:0/0/0] - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 140/140 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  | BH: 67 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
-Weapon Mod: Ferocity (+1 DMG)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)
Light Armor Mod Athletics -  Gain +1 base damage and +30 HP when wearing light armor
SURVIVAL
Rank 5 Battle Healing (5% of total health rounded down start of each turn)
Familiar Mastery Expert - +1 (*Tier) Damage - +9 Damage

EQUIPPED
Name: 
Bleeding Lance| Item Type: 2H Assault Spear Tier 3
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Damage 1
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'
'Burn Damage' of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10 - Unmitigated

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking

enemy.

Edited by Mari

Grass softly crunched beneath her steps. Her voice being the second thing to draw his attention to her as she approached from his right. Shifting his weight, Oikawa let his gaze settle upon hers.

In typical Mari fashion, the ginger razzed him for the use of her nickname given by him. The tip of her index gently pressing into the center of his forehead. The threat of being flicked causing a grin of his own as she pulled away. "I expect nothing less from you Mari."

Finding a rock of her own to occupy, Mari seated herself opposite of him. Hesitance briefly flickered over her features, but faded as she inquired as to why he was here.

His eyes traced the path hers left. The shimmering rays encompassing the horizon, reminding them just how peaceful this world could look. He too appreciated the realism of the sun on this floor. Returning his attention to Mari, he addressed her inquiry.

"I thought now would be a fine time to just explore something I had never seen before in my time here." Amber ores danced over her figure. She seemed in better spirits than when they last spoke alone in his home. Since then, they've had the guild meeting and a few outings but never re-addressed their situation. And with Baldur in the mix, Oikawa wasn't one to pester the situation. His feelings were out there. He didn't falter in his stance or in his feelings, but he would however respect the outcome and if that meant just being good friends; he would embrace that.

"Have you heard of Mt. Olympia? It is rumored to be based off of the one from Greek mythos and apparently players have reported run-ins with God themed Mobs that help or deter them from their path."

@Mari

Edited by Oikawa

He seemed to be in good spirits, but then again- hadn't he always? Even when he came to her, lost - confused. He still held a jovial warmth. His eyes always glimmering in whatever light that dare reflect them.  Mari placed her chin in her hand, leaning her elbow on her knees as she listened to him. Passionate curiosity in his voice.

"Mmm...Outside of the whole Greek Mythos - no. Not really." Mari said quietly. "God themed mobs huh..." Mari tried to give Oikawa a smile as she tilted her head to the side. "Ahah...you know, I was considering calling my character Persephone - but I didn't feel it right to liken myself to a goddess. Felt a little pompous." Mari cleared her throat - realizing that was probably rude to say. She had to be careful not to upset anyone else. "I mean - I was uncomfortable with it. I don't have an issue with others naming themselves after Pantheons and such."   She shifted her weight on the rock, twisting herself so she could see him better. She propped her legs up onto the rock, hugging them close to her chest. 

"I know I'm judging on looks here but I always imagined you goin' on some adventure regarding Gods like Bastet or Atum. Since you're well..." Mari gestured to him, from his dark locks to the golden jewelry that hung loosely over his shoulders - to the gauntlets and even his loose pants. It suited him. His dark and chiseled features, and his relaxed nature. "You look like some sort of Egyptian God or Pharaoh yourself. Yanno? Anyway - you asked me here to join you hunting for this?" Mari asked. Why her?

Wouldn't Shield be a better companion? Or maybe Baldur? Crowzeph even. Anyone but me, surely. 

@Oikawa

"Pompous huh?" He chimed. Admittedly he knew more about Greek mythos than Egyptian, but he felt more in tune with himself when in the Egyptian attire. It felt right. His smirk widened as he met her inquiry with a little laughter. "You'd be right to assume that. However, as far as I know, there aren't any floor dedicated to Egyptian mythos at the moment. So I have to make do with what I'm given."

His legs became outstretched as he worked his way off the rock. Puling one arm overhead and behind his back, he allowed his limbs to contort into a more forgiving stretch. Then the other. His eyes unwavering as Mari questioned her reason for being invited. The look of doubt washed over her features. Once again he noticed how much she really didn't think of herself. Once again he'd have to remind her how much her time is worth.

"I asked you here because I wanted to spend time with you. And take you to a place neither of us have seen before." An air of confidence flowed subtly beneath his words. His amber gaze settling into hers. "Is spending time with a guildmate such a bad thing if there is no loot involved?" he asked teasingly. Lacing his fingers behind his head, he began to stroll off in the direction of the mountains.

"I wouldn't ask you here if I didn't want your company," he explained over his shoulder. "But I understand if you have other things to attend too."

@Mari

"Weelllll..." Mari said, elongating her response. "We'll just have to keep unlocking floors till we find some nice Egyptian mythos for you." She crossed her arms. "Even though I guess that means I need to deal with another gross, hot, and sandy floor - but at least it could be fun." Mari said playfully. She was trying to lighten her mood - she didn't want to be a downer around Oikawa. She didn't want to bother him with her own issues.

She watched as he got up and stretched, his cape billowing in the gentle breeze that surrounded them. What is it with men and not wearing shirts? Mari thought to herself as her eyes darted over his chiseled form. Granted it was a fantasy game - and people tend to be more 'showy' with their character designs, but... "Don't you get cold?" Mari blurted out. She quickly cleared her throat - Wasn't meant to say that out loud. 

"I like spending time with you too." Mari said, quickly continuing on the conversation, nice and smooth. His twinkling eyes met hers as he asked her if spending time wtih others was a bad thing. The typical grin of his - the confidence in his tone. Mari furrowed her brows, she knew he was teasing her - still. She couldn't help but rebuttle. "My name isn't Shield. It's Mari." she huffed. Oikawa turned, and began to walk - 

Mari felt a sudden pang of fear as a voice in her head told her he was just going to leave her. "Hey, W-wait!" Mari leapt up from her seat and managed to catch part of his cloak, gripping the material tightly in her hands. "I really don't have anything better to do, if anything I could really use -"

"-You're looking for people to attach to. To feel apart of again. To feel welcome again."

Mari let go of his coat. The material fluttered to rest neatly behind him again, being tugged only by the ever gentle pull of the wind around them. Mari didn't want to do that. She didn't want to attach herself to others like that. It wasn't fair. It wasn't fair to Baldur, to Oikawa, to anyone within the guild. I could really use some company right now.

"I could really use some sunshine right now - last place I was hanging around was the 10th floor and that's kinda  the opposite of this place." Mari said as she fell in line beside him, matching his pace.

@Oikawa

• 2 weeks later...

Her words wavered. The tightening and loosening of his cloak his only indication that she was as close to him as she was. He stopped mid-stride. Eyeing her from the side without turning his face too much, he caught a glimpse of the shift in facial expressions before she finished her sentence. Guilt tugged at him now. He wondered if his airy sense of confidence was giving off the wrong impression to her. His eyes closed. The sun soaking into the melanin of his skin as he took in the radiant rays.

"Sunshine is underappreciated I must admit." A single eye oped open to measure where she had located herself too as they continued their walk. Letting his lid flutter back shut, he continued. "Judging by the look on your face from earlier, something stopped you. What's eating at you?"

His face then softened as his eyes transitioned to hers. The small pools of cerulean dancing and glistening in the glow of the heat from above. "Y'know someone and sunshine have he same amount of syllables. I suppose you could even swap them with each other in your sentence. Let me be that someone. Tell me what's on your mind. Was it something between you and Baldur?"

"ah-haha...." Mari laughed awkwardly. "No - I mean. Maybe. Yeh." She tugged on her hair trying to find the right words. Was it right...or fair to talk to him about this? "I..." Mari swallowed and took a deep breath. Pillars, they were meant to rely on each other, right?  "I feel... a little selfish talking to you about this. You of all people..." Mari continued, the grip on her hair tightening as she felt her insides twist and turn. He had always been so kind and patient with her - what if ....what if things changed.

"I told Baldur I liked him." Mari began. Her voice betrayed her - Mari wanted to remain strong and vigilant. Especially in front of Oikawa. "Turns out he already has someone. Said you and Crow had met her..." Mari trailed off, the bad thoughts seeping into her consciousness like a thick and acrid vapour. A part of her told her that they didn't want her to know, because in some sick way they wanted to see her suffer. After all...isn't that what Life did? Isn't that what Daeron did?

Mari's facial features scrunched up as she stopped walking, her hands clutching at her chest. She hated those thoughts. She knew they weren't true. So why, why did they keep plaguing her? "I...kinda wish I had known but..." Mari managed a choked laugh. "At least, at least now I do know. Ahahah....besides..."

Mari offered Oikawa a small smile, trying to be brave in the face of the pain that bore down on her.   "It was...silly anyway, we don't know each other. And - I can't let it influence me, and get in the way of guild matters." Mari said. After all, Baldur had pointed out that everyone had more or less caught on to her feelings, wasn't that getting in the way of things? Wasn't that influencing her? Mari quickly shook her head. "I'm...I'm probably just looking for people to attach to yanno?" Mari said as she averted her gaze from Oikawa's, shifting her hand to scratch the back of her head. "I've...I'm kinda lonely - so I guess I was just trying to catch onto something that was never really there."

Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry.

Mari straightened herself as she tried to find some sort of crumbling resolve within her collapsing interior. "I made a promise..." She began, voice small, wavering as she fought back tears. "I won't let things get in the way anymore." She wouldn't try to find others to attach to, she wouldn't seek that comfort. She'd bear her loneliness and pain, she'd do it alone, and be the pillar that everyone else needed her to be. She'd fight her own battles and she'd become a stronger person.  "We'll all get together, we'll fish - and we'll have adventures and we'll drink tea. So...I'm not really alone." She didn't believe her own words.  "Not when I have all of you." That, at least, she did believe. 

Mari took several steps forward, broaching the gap between her and Oikawa, then stepping a few feet in front of him before turning on her heel so she could face him, arms crossed over her chest, offering Oikawa the biggest and bravest smile she could muster.  "Now, let's go find that mystery - so we have a mighty tale to tell next time we all have tea together." 

@Oikawa