[F04-PP] Snowfall <<Avalanche>>

Spoiler

<<Avalanche>>

This quest takes place on Floor 4.
This quest is repeatable.

glacier.jpg

Word from the Information Brokers speaks of a hidden respawning Field Boss on Floor 4. A small party reported having farmed the <<Ice Elementals>> found throughout the Tundra awakened a hidden Field Boss in the form of a giant <<Ice Elemental>>. This monster, identified as <<Avalanche>>, proved to be a dangerous opponent for the relatively low leveled party, and dropped a powerful Alchemical Concotion.

Requirements:

- At least one [1] pages of RP (20 or more posts).

- Avalanche must be defeated.

- Maximum Party Size of 3.

- Repeat completions will only yield <<Snowfrost>>.

Avalanche Information:

<<Avalanche>> is a respawning Field Boss and has the following statistics:
HP: 100
Damage per Attack: 40

Rewards:

1. <<Snowfrost>> This incredibly potent alchemical salve can be applied to a piece of armor, increasing resistance to Fire Damage for one battle. [The wearer will only take half damage from the burning damage over time effect].
  2. 2 Skill Points.
Spoiler

Snow
Level: 14
|| HP: 280 || EN: 28 ||

|| DMG: 5 || ACC: 1 || MIT: 39 || THN: 18 || RGN: 5 || BLD: 12/8-10 ||

|| Sif's Needle [+1ACC] [+2BLD] || Freya's Blessing [+18MIT] [+5 RGN] || Loki's Horns [+9MIT] [+18 THN] ||

Skills: || Rank 2 Two Handed Assault Spear || Rank 2 Heavy Armor || Concentration ||

Housing Buffs: || Rested || Relaxed || Clean || Tasty || Angler || Hard Working ||

The air of the fourth floor held still today. Fresh powder blanketed the ground and sparkled softly in the faint light. Each step sunk at least a foot into the surface. In her hands, Snow held a small parcel wrapped in a white and blue handkerchief. For weeks, the girl made the same journey from her Sushi Restaurant in Umbra. Each trip ended at a lake just shy of an hour from town. Most people ignored it. Tucked away from view in a forest, the serene lake remained frozen most of the year. Frozen lakes meant more effort for the same materials players could gather on more temperate floors. Snow, on the other hand, came for a different reason.

On the edge of the lake stood a small cottage. The home belonged to another player she met several weeks ago. Their meeting ended on less than favorable terms, but the girl still harbored some guilt. Every weekend, Snow brought several maki rolls, sandwiches, and baked treats to Mari's doorstep. She tried her best to remain undetected. Her embarrassment from their first meeting still weighed heavily on her. Embarrassed and guilty, Snow still felt for Mari and wanted her to know at least someone cared. 

As she grew close to the house, the young blonde cautiously kept to the treeline. She looked left, then right. Coast seemed clear. She trudged through the snow and up to Mari's porch. She peeked through from the lowermost corner, but only saw a flickering hearth and kettle softly hissing steam. Snow gulped down anxiety. It looked like Mari was either home, or still close. She set down the tightly wrapped package and knocked softly on the door twice. As quick as she could, Snow turned to run.

She hit the end of Mari's porch, but stopped just shy of the snow. The soft orange glow of lantern light froze her in her steps. Just a ways down the lake's shore a figure hunched over. Snow ducked behind a pillar and kept watch. Was it Mari? What was she doing? Another orange player maybe?

@Mari

A cold hand brushed away at the snow that covered the small stone shrine. Something Mari had to do every few days lest it be completely enveloped. This wasn't the exact place She had taken Toms life; that was a little closer to town - but here - it was where she'd remember his life. What little she knew of him.  Since her run in with Crozeph, she actually knew more about him now - than ever. She knew he had a step-brother, and was the golden child of the family. Knew that he was given every snowlantern #snow #snowfall #frozenpond #japanesegarden in ...opportunity, where Crozeph had not. It made her wonder why Tom did what he did back then. But, Mari couldn't live in the past. She shouldn't. "Your brother found me, yanno." Mari said as she continued to brush the snow off the small stone structure. "Held me by the neck and everythin' you coulda warned me. He had an anger problem." Mari finished cleaning the snow from the top of the shrine; good.

It'd last a little longer, burn a little brighter. Mari peared into the creavice, where a small oil burner sat - with an eternal flame ever flickering. Thanks to game logic, it was one that would never go out unless Mari, or someone else destroyed the stone shrine - and Mari didn't know anyone who was heartless enough to destroy something that clearly held such meaning. "He's a good kid." Mari said as she leaned against it, placing her backside against the top of the monument.

Was sitting on a memorial grave rude? Possibly, but Mari placed this, she looked after it, and she talked to it as though it were Tom himself. Sides, it wasn't like anyone else was around, right?

Mari pulled out a worn violin from her inventory; drew in a deep breath and started to play a soft lilting tune. One day, perhaps soon - her violin would give out - as it ran out of durability, but for now. At least she could play for him.

@Snow

Spoiler

BATTLE COPY
Mari    [H:0/0/0] - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 140/140 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
-Weapon Mod: Ferocity (+1 DMG)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)
Light Armor Mod Athletics -  Gain +1 base damage and +30 HP when wearing light armor
SURVIVAL
Rank 5 Battle Healing (5% of total health rounded down start of each turn)
Familiar Mastery Expert - +1 (*Tier) Damage - +9 Damage

EQUIPPED
Name:
Bleeding Lance| Item Type: 2H Assault Spear Tier 3
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Damage 1
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'
'Burn Damage' of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10 - Unmitigated

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking enemy.

Edited by Mari

Snow watched from a distance. She struggled to make out too much detail but by noticing the orange of the player’s hair, she could only assume it was Mari. After they tended to a little stone idol, Snow noticed the soft glow from its center. Her brows scrunched as the familiarity searched her memory. After a short while, the image of the old shrines of Kyoto came to mind. Scattered about many of them were small stone structures which usually housed small bowls of oil or candles. She remembered learning that some were simply for decoration and lighting. Others, on the other hand, served more spiritual and religious purposes. In older traditions, loved ones would light the center or burn incense to respect and commune with ancestors or loved ones.

While Snow’s memory wrapped around the potential importance of the object, music started to play. The slow notes and rhythmic pauses strung together into a beautiful but sad melody. Snow frowned. She was now more certain it was Mari and felt ashamed for avoiding her all this time. 

Yet, now did not seem to be the best time to mend charred bridges. As the song carried on, the notes filled Snow with serenity. The timid blonde looked to her footprints in the and made her way back the way she came. The music grew more faint, and the pain in Snow’s chest grew.

@Mari

Edited by Snow

-editing I'll ad this bit in later, imagine its nice and sweet and emotional or something then she goes back to her house. Snow you don't need this to reply to the post. I'm sorry Im lazy and I just wanna go into my bed and kick my husband in his shin. 

Mari stepped up onto her porch. Instantly she could tell there was something off. There was another small plate of food left in front of her house. Lately Mari had found many a plate of various foods and sweets left in front of her door. She didn't know who was doing it. Nor why. They didn't seem to be malicious - the foodstuffs weren't tainted with any sort of debuffs as far as Mari experienced. Blue eyes followed the fresh tail of footfalls. Heavy with the thump of a run. The culprit was close.

Mari turned, leaping off the porch. The poor dango left solitary and alone in her wake. If Mari was fast enough...she'd be able to find out just who the hell was leaving her food. Was it Oikawa? Crozeph? She had no idea.  But curiosity drove her forward. 

Mari's eyes widened as she saw it. The gentle sway of blonde hair. Was that?  Her run slowed into a walk. "S-Snow?" Mari asked breathlessly. Mari paused to catch her breath. It was..."That was you leaving me all those things? I don't...." Mari shook her head. "Why didn't you knock? Why were you... leaving things at my door?"

@Snow

Clouds of breath escaped her blued lips as she ran from Mari's house. The thick blankets of snow slowed each weighted step of her armor.

Damn it. I should have put on something else. Damn it, Alyssa!

In the stilled quiet of the eternal winter wonderland, Snow heard the hush of another trudging through the powder. The blonde glanced over her shoulder and surely enough, an orange marker hung over the visage of Mari. Snow knew her escape plan was doomed to fail and no distance of a head start could stop Mari from catching up to her. The girl slowed her steps to a halt and she pressed her hand into the bark of a barren tree for support.

"S-Snow?" she heard.

She listened to Mari's questions from behind her, reluctant to face her one on one. What would she say?

"I..." Snow shook her head. She struggled to explain herself. Was it fear? Guilt? A longing desire for friendship?

Her head hung.

"I'm sorry," she apologized. "After everything that happened, I didn't have it in me to face you yet. But... I wanted to make sure you still knew that... that someone cared..."

Snow still kept her head forward, avoiding the gaze of judgement she worried Mari would cast. The young blonde was caught, what would happen next? She thought of Mari's grip on her arm when she tried to leave last time and felt a chill in her spine. She remembered the cairn, and the lilting tones of Mari's instrument. Her pain. Her loneliness. Sadness swept in to numb the fear. What would Mari do with her?

Edited by Snow

Of all the people to be leaving her gifts, not in a hundred years would Snow have come to Mari's mind. Mayhaps because their last encounter ended on such a bad note. 

I wanted to make sure you still knew that... that someone cared...

Mari's heart ached; she longed for that - for someone who genuinely cared, who wouldn't try to talk her out of things or change her. Who'd just listen. But...did Snow really mean that? Really and truly? Mari steeled herself, she'd not allow herself to be so easily hurt. Not again.

"F-Face me? What on earth are you-" Mari asked. Why on earth would Snow struggle to .....Oh  Suddenly, things began to make sense. After everything that happened. That must have been referring to all the names on the monument, the names that were there because of Mari. Snow struggled to look at Mari. And could anyone blame her? Mari took a step back from Snow, her hands folding within themselves as she exhaled slowly. "I'm...Sorry." Mari began, her voice small and timid - like the field mouse she saw darting across the snow. "You're probably afraid of me right?" Mari asked. She didn't wait for an answer- she already knew what the answer was. 

Mari closed her eyes, thinking back to their time in her home - how terrified Snow had been, just because Mari touched her. Guilt and pain ebbed at Mari. She wished she could say something more, do something more - but Mari knew better than anyone that often...there was not a lot anyone could do. No matter how much they wished it. No matter how much they wanted it.

You're so debased even he wouldn't touch you

"I'll-uh. I'll go. I just - Thanks. I appreciated the snacks. They were...nice." 

A hand reached out to snow, hovered in hesitance then pulled away. No...if Snow was afraid, Mari lending a reassuring hand would mean nothing. Mari turned to leave; the last thing she wanted to do was make someone feel awkward because of her presence. Mari wasn't the type to push herself nor her ideals on others. That did no one any good.

@Snow

• 2 weeks later...

Afraid...

Snow's gaze fell to her feet with the weight of her heart. The pain in Mari's words were rooted deep in the past. She could hear it. The truth, however, did not contradict. Yes, Snow was afraid. She didn't know Mari like she knew Opal. At first, the redhead seemed genuine and kind. One small gesture and a laugh shattered that perception. Yet, under all the uncertainty, a part of Snow wanted to show Mari open arms. Everyone deserved that, right?

"No, it's just--" Snow turned to see Mari's back. Her gaze fell to the ground again.

"You think I'm naive and stupid don't you...?" Snow whimpered. She remembered the day so clearly. Snow welled up her courage, offered to be someone who cared, and was subsequently laughed at. The moment still flushed her cheeks with embarrassment. Even though she meant those words, how could she face someone who openly mocked the ideal? Then again, Snow barely knew Mari. She opened herself to a stranger and one that may have taken a life on purpose. 

"I am afraid." Each of the three words left her lips softly, tenderly. The admission of guilt hung heavy on each and every one. For such a long time, that fear kept her in the Town of Beginnings. Meanwhile, everyone else fought, died, and experienced trauma at the hands of an unseen psychopath. In a way, Snow felt she may as well have an orange marker of her own above her head. Although a statement of affirmation to Mari's question, Snow's rebuttal covered a broader scope.

Snow was afraid Mari. She was also afraid of dying. Of letting Daire down. Of never seeing her mom or dad again. Of facing them after all this if she got out. Or telling Daire's parents what happened before they were told their daughter was killed by this place.

"I've been afraid since the first day." Soft tones continued, unsure if Mari could even hear or cared to listen. "I'm embarrassed. I'm not good at anything. I don't know you or what you've been through. I just wanted to be a friend, but I couldn't face you after how stupid I was last time."

Snow rubbed her arm where Mari last touched her. The memory and the deep rooted terror replayed in her head. Had she wanted, Mari could have killed her then. She didn't. Mari could have killed her just now. She didn't. 

@Mari

Mari paused when she heard the faint lull of Snow's voice. Why...? Why did Snow think that? "What?" Mari turned to face Snow, her brows contorted in confusion. "Why would...is this...because I laughed back then?" Mari shook her head and turned to face Snow again, two full strides was all it took to broach the gap between them. Mari reached out - ready to place a hand on each of Snow's shoulders but they paused, lingering mere centimetres above them. 

Afraid...

YOu'Re so deBaseD

Mari withdrew her hands, rubbing them together to stave off the chill in the air. "Snow I - I laughed not because I thought you were any of those things it was..." Mari turned her gaze away. It felt silly to admit it. "It was...refreshing..." She mumbled. "It was so refreshing and sweet and kind and innocent and....and..."  

And I don't deserve any of that. 

Mari felt a coldness in the pit of her stomach, one that wasn't from the ambiance of the fourth floor; one that was a constant chilling reminder. No matter how much she tried to make up for it. No matter who she reconciled with or whose lives she had saved. No amounts of talks around a warm kotatsu, would change what she had done. Was...the thought of redemption that stupid? Was Mari stupid for trying? Some Pillar she was.

"And....I'm sorry..."

@Snow

When Mari turned to face her, Snow's stomach dropped and a bit of color washed from her cheeks. The words she spoke eased the girl's feeling of eminent dread. When Mari reached out to Snow, the blonde stood her ground. Mari's hand stopped just before making contact and retreated. The action confused Snow. Was she just respecting her statement of being afraid? Of not knowing Mari?

The redhead turned away her gaze. Snow's brows pressed together with concern, curiosity, and compassion.

"Oh..." Now she really felt stupid. This time, it was not assumed.

"Mari, no..." Snow reached out, hand open. She too hesitated. Maybe now was not the time.

"Don't... Don't be sorry. It's... can we just start back over?" Snow tried a smile, awkward as it was on top of her conflicted emotions.

She held her hand out firmly this time. A lingering sense of caution hung at the back of her mind. Snow tried to bury it. Just because of her marker, didn't give Snow the right to assume the worst. She tried to regress. She buried the thought of Mari's firm grasp when she tried to leave last time. She tried to remember Opal and her orange marker. Everyone had a reason. One mistake shouldn't define a lifetime. If it did, Snow should also carry an orange marker over her head.

"I'm Snow, nice to meet you."

@Mari

Edited by Snow

"W-what?" Mari said, alarmed. "NO!" She didn't mean to shout at Snow, but Mari...she hated the idea of starting over, of pretending things didn't happen. "Snow-" Mari reached out to clasp her outstretched hand with both of her own, encasing it in a trembling warmth.  "I don't wanna start over I mean." Mari said as she stepped closer toward Snow.

"What we went through, those misunderstandings, I don't wanna forget them, or pretend they didn't happen. Because, as awkward or bad as they were - they're part of our memories and -and..." Mari realized how corny she sounded. "and...I don't want to loose memories of people."

How should she say this, what should she say? Mari felt like no matter what -there may always be that fear from Snow, but...with who Mari was. What Mari was it was the best she could really ask for.  "So Snow -instead why don't we-"

A large rumble interrupted Mari, followed by clashing and trees falling - and right in front of them Avalanche appeared - "Sh*t!" Mari's hold on Snow tightened, as she drew the blonde into her and spun on her heel - with less then a second to spare - as the Avalanche's icy body came crashing down. Missing the two girls by mere centimeters. Mari had used herself as a shield, protecting her - but in doing so. Had probably terrified her. "S-Sorry." Mari mumbled as she carefully released Snow from her hold.

The woman had been so close - close enough for Mari to feel her breath tickling her neck, close enough for Mari to feel the erratic heartbeat of the other timid girl.

Mari grit her teeth and pushed herself up - turning her back on Snow now. She drew out her Spear and aimed it at the ice beast. "You okay?" She called out.

@Snow

Avalanche |  HP: 100  | Damage per Attack: 40
ID:153643  MD:2 MISS

Mari  [H:0/0/0] - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 138/140 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |   -2 en
ID:153644  BD:1 miss
Action: Dimension Stampede > Avalanche

Edited by Mari
  • 8 months later...
Spoiler

STATS AGAIN:
Level: 14
|| HP: 280 || EN: 28 ||

|| DMG: 5 || ACC: 1 || MIT: 39 || THN: 18 || RGN: 5 || BLD: 12/8-10 ||
|| Sif's Needle [+1ACC] [+2BLD] || Freya's Blessing [+18MIT] [+5 RGN] || Loki's Horns [+9MIT] [+18 THN] ||
Skills: || Rank 2 Two Handed Assault Spear || Rank 2 Heavy Armor || Concentration ||
Housing Buffs: || Rested || Relaxed || Clean || Tasty || Angler || Hard Working ||

ID# 183198 || Battle: 4+1+1 || Craft: 10 || Loot: 8 || MOB: 3 ||

Snow: || 280/280 HP || 28/28 EN ||
<<RESTED>> (1/2)
<<CONCENTRATION>> (0/3 CD)
<<Twin Thrust>> HIT [5*2] DMG
<<STUN Applied>> (0/3 CD)
<<-4 EN>>

RESULTS:
Mari  [H:0/0/0] - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 138/140
Snow [H:1] || HP 280/280 || EN 24/28 ||
<<Avalanche>> || HP: 90/100 || DMG 40 || <<STN>>

When Mari cupped Snow's outstretched hand, her chest sunk as though she just had the floor pulled from under her. The anxiety of defying her state of unrest manifested and then melted. Those small, delicate hands trembled but still conveyed warmth in their touch. Mari stepped closer. Snow let her. As Mari made her case, the blonde couldn't help herself from remembering the scene moments ago. A sad girl played a lonely song to the memory of one lost to time forever. The image played over Snow's own pain of loss. Daire, the similar redhead she first mistook Mari for, lingered at the back of her mind and grew farther and farther away over time. Those memories she cherished became that much harder to remember, both good and bad.

Snow's body relaxed. A soft sting welled in her eyes.

"So Snow -instead why don't we-"

Everything changed. The world became black her body pushed into Mari. Her stomach churned in the abrupt spin and the percussion of something massive vibrated through Snow's body. Ice and snow whipped into a cloud and covered one side of her body. Mari pulled away and the blonde immediately snapped her eyes to the crater beside them. Then, back to Mari which now turned away from her, armed.

"What..." Snow stammered until beyond the hanging orange marker she saw one of red hover above a massive construct of ice.

'Here of all places? How did it-- we were attacked?!'

Snow shook her head. Clumps of half melted powder flung from her hair as the blonde pieced herself together. She glanced to Mari, back to the creature, back to Mari. The imprint of her late friend Daire still lingered as she saw her new acquaintance square up.

"No," she muttered in a shaky tone. "No, no."

Sif's Needle materialized from the girl's readied inventory and into her hand. The edges of her vision narrowed as her heart raced at the thought of Mari's bar draining from red to empty. Emotions and Cardinal spurned her into action, and she charged past Mari in a wake of glittering powder. Sif's blade spun once. A red gouge drew across the abomination's legs. It swung again, and the creature slumped to what Snow could assume was its knees.

"Not again!" Snow shouted in what almost sounded like anguish. Her eyes sparkled with fresh tears.

@Mari

Edited by Snow

Not again!"

"No." Mari said quietly. She didn't know of the pain that Snow felt, nor the past that seemed to upset her so. "Nothing like that will happen again. I'm here now." Mari inwardly cringed. That sounded...that sounded so unbelievably corny and terribly...just...Mari shook her head and snorted. Right. She never was good with words of comfort, was she? Hell - she had tried to comfort Snow a few times now and each time it left the blonde in tears. But - that was just who Mari was. 

Mari's first instinct was to stop Snow charging forward - but, in a way - it was probably cathartic to the blonde. So Mari stood still. She waited till the avalanche slumped. A sliver of health being removed. Now it was Mari's turn. Her footsteps crunched down the freshly fallen powder and with a small flourish - Mari had easily pulled a woven woolen blanket from her inventory and draped it over Snow's shoulders. Then - without looking back at the other woman Mari charged forward.

Light danced upon her feet as she activated the charge skill - then her Spear. Glowing in shades of gold, then white - as not only her skill activated, but it sparked a critical. Her spear tore through the ice, and shards of it exploded around her in clouds of shimmering glitter. Each strike tore more of the Avalanche off - creating a canopy of shimmering lights above the two girls.  Relentless, and powerful. Mari finished off the beast.

And...

Without skipping a beat she dropped her spear where she stood and turned to Snow - slowly approaching her with cautious steps Mari reached out and with a gentle swipe of her thumb underneath SNow's fluttering eyes, she removed the tears. 

"See." Mari tried to offer her a reassuring smile. 

@Snow

ID:183240   BD:10 CRITICAL HIT MD:6-3= MISS
19+2+5=26 x 15=390
Mari  [H:0/0/0] - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 121/140 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |   -17 en
Avalanche |  HP: 0/100-390  | Damage per Attack: 40
Action: Dimension Stampede > Avalanche

Edited by Mari

The gap in their abilities burst into a rain of sparkling fractals. In the fall of light and remnants of the icy elemental, the frame of Mari stood. Snow's heart raced, her eyes blinked in disbelief, and the image of Daire's demise melted away into the warmth of another's touch. The dam which held the emotions shifted, and the walls dropped. Snow's trembling grip on her golden spear failed and its length disappeared beneath the white. Snow stepped in and wrapped herself around Mari. Her fear of loss, the way Mari acted when they first met, the awkwardness, the longing... All of it crashed together into an irrational but welcome silence. Snow knew it wasn't Daire in her arms, but what she needed was exactly this.

"I'm sorry." The words escaped into the redhead's shoulder. She was sorry for her actions prior. She was sorry for her actions now. She was sorry for failing the people she cared for. She was sorry for being too weak.

"I'm sorry..."

Snow's chest fluttered as she held the moment selfishly. Her eyes stung with the free flow of tears. After a moment, the storm calmed and Snow loosened her grasp. She stepped back and looked to Mari with glistening eyes framed by reddened cheeks.

"I--" The blonde's chest lifted in a sharp breath. "I don't want to lose anymore people. I... I don't want to be alone."

@Mari

Edited by Snow

Mari was expecting a lot of things, none of which were Snow's fault.
She expected fear. Screaming, and yelling. She expected Snow to retreat, to leave Mari alone amidst a flurry of snow and fractal monster remnants.

But-

What came was warmth. The gentle tug of shaking arms. A irrevocable feeling of comfort flowed forth from that timid embrace. It felt like time stood still, there was no cold winds, they weren't fighting for their lives in a tower. It was just them. In this moment, at the axis of their own private little world. "S-Snow-" Mari wasn't sure how to respond. The act left her breathless, and unexpected tears of her own had fallen down her face. Thin traces of loneliness, yearning for someone to acknowledge her. In a quick motion Mari wiped them away. This moment was not for her. It was for Snow. 

Slowly but surely Mari's hands wrapped back around Snow, and she squeezed tight, as though she were afraid this moment would end too soon, or that Snow would dissipate between her fingertips. "You won't." The promise felt heavy as they left Mari's trembling lips. But she swallowed, and repeated the words with more resolve. "You won't, Snow." It was an impossible promise, right? Mari hated such things, so why now? Why was she promising this small, precious porcelain woman the world?

As Snow stepped back Mari unraveled part of her scarf from her neck and gently wrapped it around Snows. Mari was never good with this sort of thing, but it was clear Snow needed it. Hell, Mari did too. "You won't be alone. I'm always just a message away." Was she? it wasn't like Mari could teleport instantly to other areas without being injured by the towns guards. She'd have to run through hell. But - for snow. Yeh...for Snow she'd do that. It was in-explainable, but Mari wanted to do everything she could to protect this other woman, and her tears. "I can't promise you much, but I can promise you, if you call." Mari paused and offered Snow another smile.

"I'll come running."

@Snow

Edited by Mari

Mari's words did little to console the roots of her fear. So deeply ingrained by the trauma of loss and the madness of this digital prison, even the test of time may fail to heal this open wounds. Yet, to hear such words pulled a fraction of her sorrow from her eyes. The promise made was a lie Snow knew all to well, but the intent behind them still held a strong meaning. The blonde took a few staggered breaths to calm herself down. Her hands played at the scarf around her neck and though she felt her and Mari weren't that close, she didn't hate the intimacy of the moment. It almost felt as if she had a best friend again.

Snow's eyes drifted up to Mari's orange marker with reddened eyes. She didn't deserve that label.

With a nod, Snow responded, "Only if you let me be that pillar..."

A faint smile broke through the trembling uncertainty and vulnerability. The words almost hurt to say when she remembered their original context and the awkward repercussions of their first utterance to Mari those many days ago. Snow tried to stand taller, defiant to her frailty compared to the orange player. To be strong for someone else... the scared little blonde wanted so desperately to be the bravery and courage she once saw in her late friend. She so desperately wanted to be that light for Mari's own darkness -- to be the one to help her forgive herself and smile again.

@Mari

• 2 weeks later...

Mari waited patiently as Snow took a few silent moments to compose herself. Mari had taken a single deep breath of her own, but had stopped there - when she realized just how close Snow was. Mari could smell her, and just like her namesake, funnily enough. Snow smelt like...well snow. She smelt like the cold fresh snap of air that would hit your lungs when you stepped out your house, hints of pine, and kitchen herbs and spices. A mix of cool and warmth. 

Mari averted her gaze from Snow when she watched the others blue gaze drift above her head - eyeing the cursor that floated above. Ever lingering, a threat. A warning. Here, sins were worn - clear as day, and Mari had many of them. Mari only returned her gaze to the other woman upon the small lilting voice. Repeating a familiar phrase. 

Only if you let me be that pillar...

Mari gave a small snort and managed to give Snow a smile in return. it felt awkward. This felt awkward. Maybe Mari had been too forward with her, now that the heat of the fight had left - and things had begun to settle. Mari slowly began to realize that this may, just may be a little too intimate for two near strangers. "Y-yeh. It goes two ways, that's kinda what a relationship - err, you know. Friendship is." Mari said as she took a step back to give the two some distance, was it warmer? yeh. It was definitely warmer.

"Friends look out for each other."

@Snow