[PP-F4] Where SLeeping Crows Lie

A new room...it felt weird to be standing there; staring at her bed. Her bed. Mari had been avoiding sleeping in a bed ever since she had taken her daughters life. She felt it a comfort she did not deserve. She had been granted the opportunity many times; but each time...she had denied it. Even at Oikawa's where she had been most tempted to dive into those pristine white and gold sheets - she had image.png.ad8493259d3d42c1a629f15e405d0580.pngrefrained, and instead resolved to sleep on the cold floor.

Mari ran a hand over the plush linen of the bed. Her bed. Running it along the edge. Despite that...despite her fallng asleep on the floor Mari found herself wrapped up in a warm blanket the next day, with a snoozing snow leopard on her lap.

Removing her hand Mari sighed; she turned to check the fire in the corner of the neat room; still burning. Roaring with a warming life. Well, it'd warm an empty room that night. The ginger haired woman left the room, padding down the wooden staircase that twisted round a corner and back into her main room. Passing a window Mari paused to look out at the snow; the sun was setting and the snow was beginning to fall heavily.

It'd be a quiet, lonely night.

@Crozeph

Edited by Mari

Not as cold as it used to be...

"That'll be 200 col sir," the woman from the tavern told him as she handed him the roasted duck. It might have been a good idea for him and not for the person he's going to visit but he did say that he's going to bring something the next time he visits. He took the food and placed it inside his inventory, a convenience that he'll never experience outside of the game. The raven-haired player walked outside of the place and was greeted by the soft yet cold breeze of the floor's weather. It was a consistent coldness but for him, it felt less cold than how it was back then.

"Wearing socks and a longer and thicker coat helps"  he thought as he began to make his way out of Snowfrost. Once again he's braving the cold weather of Floor 4, the last time he was here, Night and Yuki helped him get a weapon for himself. Crozeph still wore the black cloak and brown yukata but this time he's wearing a bracelet, his new equipment for when inevitable battles happen. His weapon was strapped on his side too and for some reason, the katana resonates with the cold weather "I forgot that I got this weapon here" he thought. Crozeph felt the snow crunch beneath his feet, he wore white socks now as he learned the mistake of not wearing one the last time he visited her. 

It might be a habit but he doesn't really care, there will be times that he does things spontaneously and this was one of those times. His eyes was down the snow-covered path he's traversing and for some reason, he felt worried that she might not be home when he arrives. While it would be his fault, it would suck if he stayed under the snow for too long again. "Should I send a message?" he asked himself "or it's better to just knock on the door? it's not like I'm going to break in" he added. As he gave it a thought, the silhouette of a house was already seen, he reached the place faster than he could remember "ah I'm here already, no time to think of such trivial things" he told himself. Crozeph continued until he stood at the doorstep "okay, let's see if someone is home" Crozeph raised his fist and tried to knock but before he could do so, he sneezed all of a sudden and it caught him off-guard that he fell on his back. "Damn it" he muttered as he stood up, he walked on the door again and knocked gently, snow clinging on his back up to his head.

@Mari 

journal.jpg.dd908019a2fd2a253791f9168e2f3a14.jpg

Crozeph [Level 34]
  | HP: 640/640 | EN: 64/64
  | ACC: 4 | DMG: 12 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 44
  | FREEZE +1 | RECOVERY +2 | 

** Rank 2 Merchant - The Night's Watch
** WARNING: Mitigation cannot fall below 0!
  Hide contents

[Equipment]

• Lamina De Skadi [T2 Rare]
    -- Freeze +1 
    Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 (1 slot) or natural successful attack rolls of 8-10 (2 slots) remove the enemy’s action on their next turn. Frozen opponents lose any evasion properties. Striking a frozen enemy before the effect ends will end Freeze and deal an extra (12 * Tier) unmitigatable damage. [Must hit to activate the status condition.]
    -- ACC +2
    -- 
    A katana with a black hilt and an azure blade like a clear,  blue, lake water. The name translates into "Blade of Skadi" a goddess who also represented hunting and winter, signifying its use as for hunting or attacking foes by freezing them. When equipped, the user 's breath will be like one who is breathing in a cold place and the freeze effect is seen as some kind of water splashing that freezes upon contact with the target.
  • Cloak of the Oath
    -- MIT +2 

-- EVA +1
    -- A
     black haori who belonged to a vice-president of the Shinsengumi. Enables the wearer to withstand attacks and also evade it.
  • Caster's Mystic Code
    -- Recovery +2

-- ACC +1
    -- 
    A platinum band for the wrist with runic inscriptions worn by a Babylonian king who had access to magecraft. This item gives a boost on accuracy and ability to restore energy to cast more spells just like how the previous owner wanted it to work, it glows a vibrant blue when it activates through the lettering.

[Battle-Ready Inventory]

• x1 Liquor of Light
  • x4 T2 Perfect Fiery Dragon Roll [MIT]
  • x4 T2 Rare Udon Bowl +2 ACC
  • x4 T2 Rare Mochi +2 LD
  • x4 T2 Rare Ramen Bowl +2 EVA 
  •  
  • Dimensional Backpack

Skills

Hide contents

Mod Count: 2/5

1. Katana | Passive | RANK 5/5
    Finesse R3 Precision 
  2. Light Armor | Passive | RANK 2/5 
    > 
  3. Battle Healing | Passive | RANK 2/5
  4. Curved Sword | Passive | RANK 1/5
  5. First-Aid | Active | RANK 2/5
  6. Extended Weight Limit | Passive | RANK 0

[Extra]

• Survival | Passive 
  • Meditation | Active I +10 EN
  • Familiar Mastery: Fighter | Passive | RANK 2/3

Misc. Buffs

Hide contents
  •  Relaxed | Passive | House buff
    >  

Edited by Crozeph

Mari watched through the window; as Crozeph approached her home - she would have opened the door long before he arrived at her porch but he seemed to be lost in his own mind, so Mari let him have his last few minutes of solitary thought. It gave her time to quickly throw on her dark blue Yukata from her inventory. She tied her hair up in a messy updo - and was about to open the door on him when she watched as he...he slipped and fell all due to a sneeze.  Mari snorted to herself as she opened up the door.

"So..." Mari said as she leaned on the door frame. "I don't think I've ever seen anyone trip over their own sneeze before." She said to Crozeph, offering him a tired grin. "C'mon then- let's get you warmed up." She gestured for Crozeph to enter. Crozeph, still rubbing his head walked past, and Mari shut the door behind him. "I'd offer to take a look at it, but it's not like we can really be physically hurt here." Mari said, thinking back to how Baldur was literally impaled with a spear, and electrocuted...only to get back up seconds later full of vigor and fight. A small exhale escaped her lips as she shook her head. Sometimes, it was quite obvious they were all still in the game. Mari pressed her hand to the mid of Crozeph's back - guiding him in front of the fire so he could sit.

"Not that I mind your visits - but this one is awfully late, what brings you here? Is everything okay with you?" Mari placed herself in one of the plush chairs that were facing the fire, crossing her legs up and underneath her. She noted he was at least dressed a little warmer for the weather of the 4th floor. Not much could be said for her; she was wearing what she normally wore at her home. She wriggled and leaned back into it with a sigh. "Nice to still see you wearing your hair back, fightin' off any of the ladies or men?" Mari jested.

@Crozeph

Crozeph gave a weak laugh as Mari ushered him inside, it was indeed weird to trip on their own sneeze but the irony is that he knows that there are things about himself that he doesn't know. He touched the back of his head to make sure that he didn't bring any of the snow clinging on his back inside her home. "I'm surprised too, I slipped when I let it out, good thing the snow cushioned my fall," he told her as he scratches his nose lightly with his finger. He has been inside Aincrad for two years just like all of the players stuck with him but still, the weather of various floors still has a placebo effect on him. "It's a good thing internal hemorrhage is non-existent here, I'd be suffering the rest of my life if I hit my head" he eased himself under the kotatsu that he really missed. 

Relaxing his head on the table was a feeling that never got old for him. "I should get one of these for our house on Floor 22," he told her, he looked at the fireplace and watched the flames dance and listened as Mari asked him a few common questions "I was supposed to be earlier than this, I got stuck trying to think of what to bring for you that I went past dinnertime" Crozeph opened his inventory and took out what seemed to be a medium-sized place with chopped roasted duck on it "I was planning to bring dinner for you but I lost track of time," he said as he took a small piece and ate it.

"I'm doing quite fine if you ask me, I got myself some change of gear with the help of a certain guild or party. I don't know who they were but they're kinda handy for when I need a few things quick, I think one of them was named Raidou" he tried to remember their names but with how Crozeph leaves after dealing with his business, it was hard to keep track of who is who. He brushed his hair up gently at the comment of Mari "I've told Cordelia about it, some people look at my eyes as if they're seeing some kind of, I don't know, jewelry" he told her "it seems that the more sunlight bathes me the more these eyes  look  lively in color, I've tried looking at myself on mirrors or reflections in the water..." he then pointed at her "you have blue eyes too so I thought it was normal, now I feel weird."

@Mari

Watching Crozeph move to the Kotatsu instead of the fire made Mari shift away from her seat - she pulled out a fresh pot of tea and shifted to the kotatsu where Crozeph was stationed. He seemed to be so comfortable, at ease it made Mari...happy to know someone was able to relax so much in front of her. Mari poured Crozeph a cup of green tea. 

"Trust me Crozeph." Mari said with a dismissive wave of her hand. "No one is looking at my eyes like they're some sort of sparkling jewel. Honestly, who told you that? Sounds like they may have a thing for ya, then again..." Mari added. "I'm a terrible judge of things like that."  The energy left her voice with those last words. She shouldn't be giving him any sort of advice when it comes to relationships.  "If you wanna take a gander, there's a mirror over there on the wall - just cover it again when you're done" Mari pointed to the mirror hanging near the entrance. It was covered with a white sheet. Mari hated how she looked, so kept her reflection hidden.

"This was kind of you." Mari said as she gestured to the sliced peking duck in front of her, at least - that's what she assumed it was. Mari hadn't really eaten. Often, she forgot to - it wasn't exactly a necessity here. She pulled out a pair of chopsticks and plucked a piece to place it in her mouth. Mari chewed slowly then swallowed. "So, did you come here just to feed me? Or did you want another one of our little chit chats?" Her eyes darted to the window behind him. 

"Looks like we'll have all night."

@Crozeph

"No one told me that my eyes are like jewels, I guess this is just paranoia since now I know that they can look me in the easier," he said as he took a bite off the piece he took earlier. "I don't know if having a thing for me can really happen..." he tried to remember the people who might have and there was none who crossed his mind. Crozeph then looked at the mirror that Mari pointed and told him to cover after he's done looking at himself "hm, I'd rather not feed my mind of how I look, I can feel Narcissus grinning at me" he added with his weird reference on greek mythology. 

Crozeph was happy that Mari liked what he brought "I had a hard time picking what food to bring, I figured you wouldn't like it if I just brought sweets so..." he then paused to eat. "Of course I came here for some chit chats and also..." he pointed just above his head "I joined your guild, I've met with Baldur showing us his home and I figured that it would be the right time to join." Crozeph placed a hand under his chin "I'm really impressed with how Baldur got that land, it was enough to at least house a legion of soldiers but that's just my opinion" he then shifted his eyes to Mari "how about you? surely you haven't done anything reckless like drink water from a suspicious source or jump somewhere high" he said as he moved his finger as if he's writing a list in the air "I'm kidding I know you wouldn't do that" he added.

"Also why would you have a mirror of you're going to cover it all the time? are you afraid of a ghost passing by?" he asked her. It was indeed a curious thing for Crozeph, he did hear stories of how ghosts would sometimes pass by mirrors and if it did exist inside the game, would it be able to even stay inside her house?

@Mari

Mari twirled her cup as it sat on the table. Her eyes absently watching as the liquid span around in it. "Mmm..." What was she supposed to say to him? Mari wasn't really good at the whole comfort thing. She could honestly see how someone would find him attractive, he was. Granted Mari wasn't exactly inclined to fall for him - she already had someone she liked - even if they were taken. Still...she could say he looked good, right? Would that help him? "I dunno Cro, I'm sure someone would. You have strong facial features, I'd imagine some young girl...or man-" She added with a wink wonk.  "Would find you attractive. You're handsome, but more than that - you have a kind heart. But - doesn't meant you have to have someone like you. Yanno? You can be perfectly content just the way you are." 

Mari let go of her cup and reached out to grab another piece of duck, chewing slowly then swallowing. "You're right. I'm not exactly fond of sweets - they're..." Mari paused as she waved her chopsticks in the air, trying to find the right words. "I guess a little too sickly for me? I think the only one I've really had here that I liked was made by Beat. As for the mirror...I uh - I just don't like the way I look. I don't need to be reminded of my tired sunken eyes and pale ass skin every day." 

Mari smiled at Crozeph when he mentioned that he had joined the guild. "I'm happy to hear that! So are you settling into Baldur's estate?" She quietened down as Crozeph excitedly explained the size of Baldur's land. Of course Mari didn't expect any less of the Samurai. A small smile crept across her features. She hoped to see it one day, and that it wouldn't be too awkward after her admission to him. But - she vowed it wouldn't get in the way of the guild. Her feelings were second to Jacobs Ladder - and to getting everyone out.  "I suppose you'd probably return to your room there tonight?" Mari asked.

"-Surely you haven't done anything reckless like drink water from a suspicious source or jump somewhere high."

Mari coughed. "I wouldn't exactly call it somewhere high per say." 

@Crozeph

Crozeph thought hard for a moment if liking more than a friend is possible. He was already a pain being a friend because of his weird tendencies but that didn't stop him or the people he meets from being his friends. Sometimes it was hard to imagine him falling in love with someone, it looked like a selfish kind of love. "A kind heart? hm, I don't know about that, if you mean not being an asshat to you and my friends then I guess I am but most people like complicated things..." he took a bite again "...I live for the simple ones and for some reason it complicates things" he added. It must've been why he was so wary of it, at times these kinds of emotions are too much for him. "Can I ask a silly question?  he asked her but his eyes were on the kotatsu, Mari was older than him and by that, he thinks that she would know a few things about it "I am content with the way I am but what if that day comes? what if I actually fall for someone?" his questions were a bit childish but that's the only way he can convey what little of these kinds of feelings he has. 

He then looked at the mirror and tried to think it through more "I know when a girl or a woman is beautiful, like you but I have no idea if I'm in love" he uttered as he pointed at her nonchalantly. "In my memories, I knew how my parents loved me, I feel a genuine concern from my best friend, and I also know that you and Baldur are concerned with me and then.." he scratched his head "how do I know if I am falling for someone? ack! all this thinking is making my head hurt a little" he proceeded to take large bites from his piece while his ears are turning red.

"I am staying there, hopefully, I could help him with some things even if its just to lessen the burden of his job..." he then looked at the window "I don't think I should be traveling back tonight, I'd rather stay under this kotatsu than brave the cold out there" he said as he chuckled. "You should visit us sometime, I haven't seen his stock of tea yet but I'm guessing he has lots. I'll be staying in my room most of the time or taking walks from the guild back to his house, it was a peaceful place and I'm glad you're one of the people who can enjoy the sceneries there. 

Crozeph saw her cough at the mention of her not doing anything reckless and telling him that she wouldn't consider it a high place. He squinted his eyes at her "did you jump in some kind of tunnel or something? I think not or we wouldn't be having this conversation" he told her as he cautiously bites again from his food.

@Mari

"I mean...you aren't rude for the sake of being rude. You put an effort in. I don't really see you act with malicious intent, usually." Mari said as she tapped her neck thoughtfully. "Whilst your anger may get the best of you at times, you're only human. No one can fault you for that." Mari picked up her cup of tea, offering Crozeph a small nod when he asked about a silly question. If Mari's mouth wasn't full of hot tea- she'd have chastised him and told him that no question was stupid.

Instead she swallowed and waited for him to ask. "Well. That has many answers but the basic one I can give you is be honest with yourself. And with them." Mari lowered her eyes to her cup. Her finger traced its rim. "Sometimes, it'll be painful, and they won't return your feelings - but - thats the funny thing about feelings, we can't always control them. We can't control who we fall for or why. All we can do is take that chance. IF you fall for someone tell them. Knowing where you stand is better than any of the what-ifs that would stem from hiding your feelings."

Mari knew that all too well; whilst it hurt to hear that Baldur had someone, she was thankful that she had told him. He said he was grateful she said something to, and Mari had to take that at face value, he was kind in his words. And whilst some of them did hurt - it couldn't exactly be avoided in the situation, and Mari didn't blame the man for it whatsoever. She still adored him, still had feelings for him - but knew it was best to pull away, because he had someone special to him. "If...things work out well, even if there is a rejection - know that doesn't change who they or you are, as a person. And we can always grow from that. As for how do you know you're falling for someone...I guess...you find yourself looking at them often, you want them to be happy, their presence calms you - helps drive away those bad feelings."

Mari lifted her eyes back up to Crozeph, clapping her hands together. "But. Enough of that now. There's no need to worry about that, unless there is someone that you like, of course." Mari mused. 

He shifted the topic, unfortunately, it was back toward Baldur. Mari offered Crozeph a small smile. She had to tell herself that it was fine. She hurt now, but that'd disappear and everything would be fine.
"I'm sure he'd appreciate any help you offer him Crozeph. We're a guild. A team. We're all here to support each other. In doing that, we can help others. Oh but..." Mari smoothed her hand over the Kotatsu. "You won't be sleeping here." She patted the table for good measure. "I have a bedroom now, see?" Mari jutted her thumb over her shoulder at the small wooden staircase behind them that lead up into somewhere unknown and unseen. 

Oops....he was questioning her again, wasn't he? "Well....you know that void on the 10th floor? I kinda jumped down there to see what would happen."

@Crozeph

Crozeph gave a rather concerned laugh as Mari mentioned how he doesn't act with malicious intent most of the time "I do get carried away with killing mobs sometimes, and with how I am slowly shifting my build to debuff, you might say I like torturing them monsters that plague us inside this game" he said he continued to eat. Crozeph understood what she meant, his anger is quite dangerous when it reaches its boiling point. Not that it was a special thing, everyone goes at that point sometimes. The time they talked in Floor 10 was a good example of it, if he hadn't gotten control of himself he might have forced Mari's hand to defend herself which would mean danger to him. "To be honest I've got you and another person to calm me down, it's quite effective really. Our talks help me be less tense or wary when talking to others while this other person's personality is infectious at times, I don't even know that she can do that" he told her.

He listened as Mari told him her thoughts about falling for someone, it was complicated but Crozeph is slowly understanding what it's like to love someone who is not part of his family "I guess I just have to accept that painful feeling like the other things I chose to accept" he said "I mean it could be worse than what I had in mind right now but based on what you're saying, it's natural so..." Crozeph took another bite "...I'll accept the rejection just like how I usually do" he added. The other things that Mari told him made a vague description of someone to Crozeph "hm, I might be falling for someone but..." his calm expression was rather opposite of what's he's saying "... I've got to make sure I do" he uttered. 

"Knowing Baldur I'm sure he would appreciate what others do for him. It's just that I don't want to make the same mistakes again" he gazed the fireplace "I've into four guilds already but if felt like I wasn't able to contribute anything, one of those was yours. This time I want to at least see the effects of what I do" he turned his eyes back to the kotatsu "I told a friend of mine that my current build forces me to work together with others. It might seem weird for me but that's the least I can do, I don't want to hear another friend or guildmate die without me being there to give all the help I can." Crozeph looked at her "if I isolate myself I'd be half-useless but if I'm part of a group or guild my skills and build might help even just a little, I even have to force myself out of floor ten because if I don't..." he began to make a weak laugh "... I will always wallow in my own disappointments."

Crozeph looked up to where Mari pointed "I didn't notice! wow you sure are upgrading your home and..." Crozeph looked at her confused "...why am I the one sleeping in your bed?" he asked "also..." he squinted his eyes again at her while using his two fingers to point to her and at him back and forth "I guess I need to keep visiting you so you won't go jumping around places that are dangerous, I've been told that voices emanate just from standing at its mouth and you jump into that void?" he told her as if he's subtly scolding her "if I heard people talking about an orange-haired woman trying to jump off the void I'd come and yank you back by the collar, it seems that you're fine though and that's what matters to me" he told her "and please don't do it again, you got me worried even though it has already happened."

@Mari

"A debuff build is important." Mari said to Crozeph, wrapping her hands around her cup to soak up its warmth. "They're rare. So many people focus on damage output - that's important but..." Mari tilted her head, looking upon Crozeph with a warm smile. "It's a build that requires teamwork, but - so does a tank - a healer, even a dps cannot do these things alone." Mari paused to take a sip from her drink. When the other told her that she calmed him down Mari choked slightly on her drink. She coughed to clear her throat, bumping her chest with her fist.
"I...uh - I calm you down?" She asked, a little surprised. Mari knew that he had come to her often with his problems, or if he just wanted to relax away from battle but to hear that?

Do I really have such a capability?

Mari shook her head, no. This was not about her, never was, never will be. Right now, in front of her, was Crozeph. He mentioned another person. Someone that helped calm him down. "Hmm...." Mari reached out, and took one of the few remaining pieces of duck from the plate and plopped it in her mouth. Chewing slowly. "Make sure what? That you have feelings for them?" Mari asked. "Emotions are a funny thing, can we ever really be sure of them? Would you feel better waiting, or saying something?" Mari felt like she was speaking from experience, she wasn't sure what she felt for Baldur - still wasn't entirely sure....but, she had felt better trying to talk about her feelings - it helped her see where she was coming from.  She hoped that Crozeph could work out what he was feeling soon.

"Baldur..." Mari repeated after Crozeph with a small sigh. "Mmm...we all make mistakes though Cro - my guild .... any failings on that is purely on me, as it's leader. I failed it. I failed you...all of you..." She added with a whisper. Mari shrugged off the thought as she shoved the emotions deep down. Mari reached out to Crozeph and placed a hand over his. "Don't isolate yourself. That's all I - and the guild will ask of you. Isn't it better now? Now that there are others in your life?" Mari asked.

Mari removed her hand from his. "Why are you sleeping in...Cro - where else would you sleep?" Mari asked. "That bed isn't for me, its for my guests."

Mari finished off her cup of tea. "Don't worry..." Mari told him as she shut her eyes, thinking of Beat - and how he had foolishly jumped in behind her. How he had wrapped his arms around her and told her she was stupid, yet he was the one who had jumped in after a stranger. "I won't be doing it again any time soon."

@Crozeph

He must've been living under a rock, well technically he did live under a rock for a long time that he already forgot how basic teamwork in MMOs work. It must've been the feel of playing alone or playing with his friends alone, h was used to it and fortunately, he's slowly making progress on doing it with others. "Right, I just have to do my part and we can all be fine doing things together," he said before finishing his food.

"Us talking like this actually makes me feel calm. Rarely do I find a chance to talk at least about anything..." he began to laugh softly "... plus I don't have to worry about saying weird things because you seem the understand some of it" he added. How he was making weird references when naming people or assessing situations, Crozeph couldn't figure out how to talk to people without weirding them out. Mari seemed to be immune to it sometimes and she would talk to him when she doesn't, it was enough for him to know that they can talk without the risk of him getting killed.

Crozeph nodded as Mari said that emotions are a funny thing, they can never be sure of it and that is why he wasn't letting himself get the best of it when it comes to his feelings."To be honest, I'd reject someone right away if I don't have this feels like falling in love, it's a serious thing that I don't want to just respond with 'I'm not sure' because it would only give way to more unsure things rather than clearing it up" Crozeph then remembered her, his friend who he rejected the first time. It wasn't because he didn't like her back then, he just wasn't sure so he knew what to say. "I had a girl help me on some quest and things got pretty awkward and..." Crozeph scratched his head "... she misunderstood me and asked me if I like her or not. With how much of an a**hole I am I told her that I don't like her without hesitation" he added. It was quite heavy to say the words but it took a weight off his shoulders rather quickly "I told her that I can't just like someone I just met but to be honest I was to blame on that also, I got careless or carefree around her so she must've misunderstood it back then. Now I kinda miss going on quests with her, our builds work well when fighting but she seemed so enthusiastic about most things."

Crozeph's ears were turning red as he tells the story. He might not have noticed it but it seems the girl had an effect on him that is unlike his common impression on them "she cooks nice also and..." he stopped and covered his ears "why do my ears turn hot? I must be too near the fireplace" he said as he moved a little.

He squinted his eyes as Mari told him it was for her guest and not for her "is the bed something like a kotatsu also?" he placed his arms at the table "the warmth of this table is surreal and you can enjoy this every day with floor four being always winter" he wasn't gonna say anything more about her jumping into the void, she was safe and that's what he wanted to see "I'm glad you're safe, I never really saw the void but people on floor ten talk about it like it's some kind of gateway to hell." He gave a sigh of relief shook his head while smiling "you can be stupid at times when no one is watching and I'm not taking that back."

@Mari

Crozeph hand finished off the rest of the food, and that was fine by her - Mari was never a big eater - even in the real world. Even less so now that she was trapped in this digital one. If she didn't have reminders, she'd simply forget to eat. "That's stupid." Mari replied matter-of-factly to Crozeph as she folded her arms over her chest. "You can't just reject people because you don't love them - if you have feelings for them, isn't it worth it to take that shot?" Mari asked as she tilted her head, tapping a finger against her folded elbow. "I mean...that's the point of dating, to see if you're compatible. To know more about the other person. To reject all that because you can't claim you love someone is silly." Mari let out a small sigh as Crozeph further explained his situation. "That doesn't make you an asshole, that makes you honest. I'd probably do the same, but that's why people think I'm a bit of a blunt b**ch."  

Mari picked up her cup of tea,
"You know..." She began, as though the simplest thing to do was so obvious. "You could always just message her again to hang out if you miss her. Also the fireplace is on the other side of the room. I'd say you simply enjoy her company, even as far as to say you may be developing feelings for her. But you can't really know that till you ask her to hang out again, right?" Mari offered. 

Mari shifted out from underneath the Kotatsu, smoothing out her clothing.
"No. The bed is just a bed." Whilst she had no real reason to, and Mari knew the plate would simply disintegrate she picked it up off the table and moved to the small counter by the back of her house; placing it out of the way. Small things that gave her a sense of normalcy. "Cro - we're kinda already in hell - I mean we have an entire floor that is nothing but volcanoes and rivers of lava." Mari snorted as she turned back to face him, approaching the Kotatsu again. "I never said I was smart. People just assume I am." 

@Crozeph

He now felt bad again with how Mari explained it to him. It was even unexpected that the girl is still friends with him "yeah I still feel bad until now but I had to say it" he replied. While they both talked about knowing each other more, Crozeph was always taking off somewhere where she wouldn't know. "I plan to visit her soon or she ever needs help on some quest, I gotta keep my equipment in top shape first" he uttered before finishing his cup of tea. "Just a bed huh? I've been planning on a sleeping bag once I get back to Baldur's house. I really have no complaints sleeping anywhere as long as its safe..." he then remembered himself from way back "...I'm not even complaining if it wasn't safe" he added. First, he has a room in Baldur's house, Mari is letting him stay whenever he visits, and maybe Yuki might offer him a place where he can sleep also if he visits her.

"I'm not gonna disagree on that one, we are indeed in hell already" he remembered the floor full of volcanoes and lava, and then he thought about how hard it was still for other players to live inside the game and then there's him and Mari, people who actually suffered some losses "ever wonder if no one intervened for me? or to you?" he asked her. It was a question that meant little but he knew that he was here to talk to her about anything "I mean what if I never found your tent? I'm guessing that I'll still be staying in Floor 10 with my ghost neighbors and some rats in my shop" he told her before smiling in the realization of how his apathetic life was changed when he met Baldur and Mari again. 

Crozeph gave a soft laugh as Mari uttered how people assumed she was smart and never saying she was one "well I can say your smart, sometimes it goes over the gauge and turns into child-like stupidity. Now that I think about it, if I held something before you and tell you that it's dangerous when smashed, chances are you'd probably smash it just to know how dangerous it is" he told her. Judging from how Mari jumped into the void.

The cold wind patted on the window gently as they talked, the kotatsu gave enough warmth for Crozeph to feel at ease, a luxury he rarely gets when he is outside. "Oh right I want to tell you this, I've met a player with an orange marker like you and Oikawa" he said, "our encounter wasn't really that pleasant, I'm sort of wary when that player is around." Maybe talking about it to Mari might help "I got careless and acted all dumb around that player, I was so used to knowing you and Oikawa that I let my guard down and think that the player is just like you" he added. It was indeed a scary encounter but Crozeph felt something different, it was a feeling of distrust "maybe we'll meet again on a different circumstance but I don't know if I could endure being around that person long enough" he was always carefree around most of the players who had the PK mark, this one person, however, gave him a new reason to distrust them.

@Mari

"So." Mari began. She was hoping that Crozeph would have said a name by now but either by accident or on purpose, he was avoiding any forms of identification whatsoever. No name, not even an eye colour or hair colour. Hell, he didn't even tell Mari what quest they were going on. Was... he doing this because he didn't trust her? Maybe... still, Mari would chance asking him. "Does this girl have a name?"  Mari literally slapped her face in a face palm when Crozeph said he'd be using a sleeping bag. "You numpty." Mari said with a groan. "You know Baldur would provide you bedding. He isn't gonna give you an empty room."

"I have to admit..." Mari began, shifting her gaze away from him to glance to the falling snow outside. "I really am not a fan of this whole 'mysterious pronoun' game of yours. I don't mind you keeping players identities hidden if you think they'd prefer that but... it just adds this weird extra narrative layer.  You say you've met a player like myself and..." Mari paused. She hadn't heard from Oikawa for a while now. She missed him. "And Oikawa..." Mari said softly as she shifted her eyes back to Crozeph. "What did this mystery unnamed person do?" Mari asked. She shifted closer, standing by Crozeph, but leaning against the wall instead of sitting beneath the kotatsu again.  "Did they hurt you?"

Mari turned her gaze to the window as she pondered his previous question. What would have happened. "Mmm. I don't think that's a healthy way of thinking." Mari said honestly. "We can't live our lives on what-ifs. Or what could have been. We should focus on what we have now, and who are around us now. Hypocritical of me, I guess. Because I often find myself wandering what or where I'd be if it weren't for people like Macradon, or Baldur, or Oikawa. But - I don't think anyone would like that answer. So -" Mari turned back to Crozeph.

"I'm just thankful to have you all here, and now."

@Crozeph

Bedding, he was a fan of sleeping inside proper houses. The beds are pretty much a greater way to get a nicer sleep, the walls make him feel safe but to get used to it? he might be making progress but he's still feeling the preference of sleeping on grasses and trees, also his damp and dim shop. Mari's place was already a huge temptation for him to fall asleep, it was even a miracle that the fire dancing in the fireplace didn't put him to sleep "I'm still working on sleeping on beds, I got used to sleeping on floors and other uncomfortable places it felt different when my back feels all the fluff" he told her. It sounded bad for him that he was so used to twigs and grass on his back or tickling his ears when he slept. Baldur's place was already giving him a huge feeling of awe that he loses grip of the chance to feel sleepy "f*** my sleeping habits, I didn't know it was this worse until I was introduced to back to civilization."

"The pronoun games?" he was confused but he quickly realized what he has been doing, hiding names from her. For a moment Crozeph felt that he was speaking with distrust to Mari. He shook his head and made a soft laugh "yeah sorry, I got carried away since I rarely tell you about other people, it's mostly Baldur this then you blush then..." for a moment a smile was seen on his face like he was introducing someone he was so fond of, not that he isn't "her name is Yuki Mikoto, the girl I told you" he said nonchalantly. "I always liked her cooking, it feels homely, you rarely get to eat food like that. Most shops just do it for business but she does hers like she was cooking for a family" he added. Crozeph placed an elbow on the table and rested his face on the back of his hand "rarely do people get my interest, she sure got mine single-handedly. It might not be visible in my expressions most of the time but I feel safe around her, maybe that's because she's a tank so that's what everyone's gonna feel I guess" he said.

The other person felt like a shiver for Crozeph to even remember, a player who managed to make him avoid her single-handedly "the orange player is Hidden, I've already decided to myself that if we ever meet again I'll just do what needs to be done, less talk. It's not that I hate her, you know how I don't hate people unless they give me a reason to and also it was my fault for having a faulty build when we tried to kill mobs and that pissed her off"  the vision of Hidden morphing into Crozeph was still too much that he closed his eyes and held his breath. 

"It can't be helped by people like me" he uttered as he opened his eyes "what ifs make me feel cautious with every step when it comes to fighting or most of the time to be wary of people I don't know" he then remembered how back then he traveled with Mari and Daeron, it was a what-if situation. "I could probably bore you with the scenarios that play in my head every time I battle enemies" Crozeph scratched his head "or how I tried to think how I'd live my life after finishing my studies and now we're here, thinking how to prolong our lives while putting it in danger at the same time" a really unhealthy way of thinking but he can always work it out if he wants to.

@Mari

"I get that." Mari said to Crozeph in response to his comment about beds. She still hadn't brought herself into sleeping with one. But Mari wanted to help Crozeph and she doubted her own insecurities and hangups would help. Instead, she gave him a wry grin. "Well, you fall asleep on laps easily enough - just imagine what a bed could do you. Being peaceful enough to fall asleep so easily - it's...it's honestly a gift Cro, I'm kinda envious of it."

Mari scoffed when Crozeph said something about Baldur and her blushing. "Tch...look just because I like someone, doesn't mean you can't talk to me about them or that-" Mari paused when Crozeph admitted who he was talking about. Yuki.  Wasn't Yuki gushing over him too. "Ahh...." Mari saw what was happening. Though, Mari couldn't recall if Yuki ever told her her last name. Mari sighed. "Cro, you shouldn't give people someone's entire name. Just Yuki would have been fine. And-" Mari tapped the table. Of course it had to be Yuki of all people. The girl probably hated Mari at this point. "Knowing this, I honestly think you like her, suffice to say she may feel the same way about you. The way she gushes about ya."

The conversation shifted to the orange player, and funnily enough - it was another name Mari recognized. What a small world. "Ahh yes... Hidden." Mari closed her eyes witha sigh.  "It's not your fault. She's got a bit of an anger issue - tried to stab me through once because I was in the way. Heh." Mari lifted her gaze back to Crozeph. "But, I think she has a lotta walls up...." Mari trailed off when Crozeph mentioned the topic of taking his own life. "But that's changed now, right?" Mari asked sympathetically as she walked over to him. "You have us, me, Oikawa, the guild - and Yuki."

@Crozeph

It's good to know that Mari understands what he meant with the beds and stuff, it gives good sleep but it takes to long to sleep with how different it feels. "I sometimes feel like I'm gonna be swallowed by the bed, so most of the time I'd make sure I'll go straight to sleep instead of waiting for me to fall asleep in bed." Things were indeed different when it comes to resting in laps, thinking about it he only slept on Mari's lap. It's true that he could sleep as peaceful as he wants to be, probably because of how sleep deprived he was most of the time. "I may be able to fall asleep peacefully but there are times I just suddenly wake up, like something just struck me," he told her. Maybe it's just the things that happened coming back all of a sudden.

Crozeph thought for a moment, "I think I do like her, I just..." he sighed "...I'm new to this, I never had the feeling of falling for someone until now. I mean you don't count respect as a deeper feeling, right? liking someone goes way beyond that I think" it sounded trivial but if there's one thing that he was sure of, he was happy with her. "But I'm used to telling full names if I knew, you think she likes me too? sounds a little unfortunate really and gushing on me about..." his eyes squinted "wait you know her?" he asked. He knew that Mari is quite known to players but he didn't expect Yuki to know her. "Pink hair, bubbly, impressive tank, a bit on the reckless side?"  he laid down the details to her.

"You know Hidden too?" his reaction was like someone who suddenly realized things in a weird way "I would say she has some problems with people, not that it would be a reason for me to hate her, I kind of feel sorry for myself because I couldn't live up to what she was expecting of me," he told her. "I can't bring myself to hate her despite the fact I got bullied for missing attacks. Maybe someday I could keep up with her demands..." then he made a face like he heard a scary prophecy "she's still scary though, if we ever meet again I doubt I could look at her for more than three seconds."

The feeling of having a guild and people to share it with probably eased Crozeph of some fears but then he could still feel a dreaded feeling whenever he thinks of them. "Yeah, I'm glad I could have people to talk to again. We managed to sort things out, Baldur offered me a home and guild, I get to meet Oikawa again and..." he smiled again, a weak smile but he still did "...Yuki is making things easier for me, I don't know what would happen to me if I lose one of you again."

@Mari

"It's just a bed." Mari said with a snort. "It ain't gonna swallow you - I'd say by the sounds of it, you don't like how open a large bed is, but..you also fall asleep out in the open so..." Mari wasn't sure how to make him feel more at ease - there probably wasn't a way. "I get that though - waking up in the middle of the night. Probably nightmares, we all get them. You're not alone in that."

The conversation shifted back to Yuki, as Crozeph admitted he liked her. "I think they are different, sure - but they can go hand in hand. Like I respect Shield - but I don't like the old bastard. I respect Baldur, and I do..." Mari paused. She shouldn't. He was taken. Still. Her point was made. "I do know her, I helped her out a few times...though...her brash nature can get on my nerves a bit." Mari said with a sigh. "She just runs head first into dangerous situations It's - as you said, reckless. But hey, maybe with you by her side she'll calm down."  Mari added with a lopsided grin.

Crozeph seemed surprised that Mari also knew Hidden. "Aincrad seems like a big place - but really, it isn't. There aren't all that many people here. Alive at least." Mari said with a small sigh. "Hidden has....issues, anger issues mainly. But I find she's more bark than bite - well. Maybe a little bite. Just stand your ground with her."

Mari pushed herself off the wall. "C'mon then Romeo - it's getting late. I'll lead you to a bed for the night." Mari made a large rectangle shape with her hands. "It's shaped like this and it's soft, just in case you forgot." She added with a cheeky grin before turning on her heel to lead him up the stairs and to the room.

At least he'd be able to sleep off his concerns in a comfortable and safe place - althugh, if his words were anything to go by. Mari suspected he'd be finding other places, like Baldurs or Yuki's to rest soon instead.

@Crozeph

"Yeah I know, maybe I'm just used to the feel of branches softly stabbing me on the back," he told her. He could try to convince himself that he got splinters sleeping on the floor of his shop and how soft beds are a way to make him sleep much more comfortably. He was used to it but if there's one thing he liked, it was that Mari offered a bed to him. The kotatsu was still a good place to sleep but Mari is the owner so she gets to call the shots. "I wouldn't say all of it was nightmares" he scratched his shoulder "sometimes it's just my thoughts going haywire with all these frontlines, shop, and Yuki I'm trying to juggle perfectly."

The mention of Yuki's brash attitude getting on Mari's nerves was the confirmation "I can agree with that, she charges in and takes all the aggro because tank" he said with a bit of sarcasm "I don't think I've calmed her down with the battles we've been together but I try my best to remind her not to overdo it or if she forgets I'd just cast some heals to keep her HP in check but so far we've always been on the safe side" he always prepared his first-aid when it comes to Yuki but the girl was so into tanking that even her build has already reflected her personality. "I may be building my support playstyle but if danger ever appears behind her I'll just deal with it with my katana, can't have my tank dying on my watch," he said with a bit of a smug expression on his face.

Hidden however was slightly different from what description Mari gave to him and from what he saw "she's clearly packing a bite" he replied to Mari "did you see her dagger obliterate mobs? it was like an exorcism happening" he added. He was quite optimistic when he met her despite the mark, now it feels like he has to live up to her demands or he'll get stabbed in the liver. 

As he followed Mari to the room she had prepared for him, he laughed at her describing the bed "well that does sound like a bed" he uttered. Crozeph entered the room and saw it, the room was consistent with the cabin theme that Mari's house had. He moved closer to it and sat down, the soft feeling of the bed was a bit new to him but it was starting to feel like a good place to sleep. Before he could get under the blanket he asked something that felt like he needed an opinion of.

"Do you think..." he looked down and gave a weary look on the floor "...if I ever become honest with myself and accept these feelings I might have, do you think I'd be good enough for her?" he asked her. "I'm not good at being as cheerful as her and I try my best to do so for her. This might be the first that I liked someone for real, I don't care about how someone looks or who they are but it always felt like I shouldn't let this chance slip by" he was starting to doubt himself, of course, it would be normal for him to feel it. A life of solitude felt like the most viable option for him but then why does it feel like he'll have regrets if he doesn't take this one opportunity in front of him? "I should visit her and give my answer," he said as he began to lie down and cover himself with the blanket "I can say what I wanted and I will say what I needed to say to her, my own feelings" he added.

Crozeph lied down like a kid with the blanket covering him up to his nose revealing only his eyes and hair. The floor was snowy and as always it would make him feel cold even though it 's not that cold with his survival skills. "C-could you sing that song again? the one you sang on floor 10? it might help me sleep before I could feel like the bed would swallow me" he asked her again. There was something about Mari that Crozeph missed when he was not yet trapped in Aincrad and Mari, possibly some kind of familial love that was taken from him far too early but now he gets to asked Mari about it. The night and time tell of how late it was and for now, a crow can only lie down and sleep with a song to help him calm down more.

Her voice was soothing just like how he remembered it, Crozeph could feel his eyes getting heavier with each word sang in a gentle way. Compared back then, he has felt much more at ease or at peace. Even with the lingering feeling of danger for those he held dead, Crozeph could only treasure what he had. His talks with Mari, his little ways of helping Baldur, and times where Yuki gave him happiness even without asking for it. Mari's voice then drowned it all out and made him fall into sleep, when he'll wake up it might not matter, for where crows lie to sleep it can only mean that it was safe to do so. 

@Mari

Thread Summary

• 1 SP [completed page] + 1 SP [corona bonus] each 
  • 200 col each