[PP-F1] Contacts and Cooking {Earning a Living: Cooking} (Mari)

"This feels below me." Adeux muttered after he found out he had to go searching in the wilderness for ingredients. "Can't I just pay...." His voice trailed off as he looked at his bank account. God.... I wish I was home. At least there I had people I could make do these kinds of things. He groaned and accepted the terms that were given to him by the cook. "These better not be dirty." He threatened the NPC even though the character couldn't do much back to him but look at him. He wandered out of the shop and looked around, thinking of the best direction to head in. "So, maybe I need to start finding people who can teach me some things. Get some higher leveled contacts. But where to look..." He turned to see the bulletin board, a place where people can put up listings for help. I hate asking for help from strangers, but if it is to my benefit..... I guess I can. He reserved himself to placing an add on the board.

"Hello! My name is Adeux and I am looking for assistance in completing my Quest for a profession. Please contact me with an answer at your earliest convenience."

"There, that should get someone's attention. Hopefully the people here can read." He sighed and took a seat on a bench nearby, waiting for someone to come along.

@Mari

Spoiler

Energy: [2] Health: [20] DMG: (Rapier) [Base 2]

Items: Rare Weapon: Paralyze (1), Bleed (1) (9/10, 2 Turns of 12* Tier (1) Unmitigated Damage. 9/10, 1 Skipped turn of the Enemy)
3 Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP)

Edited by Adeux

Mari had almost forgotten about her message on the Player Request Board - the one offering help for new players. Or one who needed help in general. In all honesty...if she had remembered it...maybe she would have deleted it by now. There was so much weighing down on her at the moment that Mari felt like she couldn't breathe. Still. The message was there, and Mari couldn't exactly say no. After all, she was a Pillar of Light.

Mari wasn't sure what happened to Shield...or Oikawa... but - for now, she had to hold things together. Even if she herself felt like she was crumbling at the seams. So, with a small exhale, Mari responded to the message.

Hello Adeux,

Please meet me outside the safe zone in the Town of Beginings. There is a large rock near a field of flowers, I'll be sitting on it. Orange hair and clothing.

And with that message she sighe and slapped her cheeks. She'd have to be happy wouldn't she? Offer the player a friendly and warm smile as she talked about the higher floors, right? Mari's heart just wasn't in it today. Still. Today wasn't about her. No day was. She made a promise, and she was willing to keep it. Mari wanted to work hard to help the other players out to help everyone get out of this game. To help Baldur find his partner, and Aiko his mother.

Mari shifted her gaze to the sky. Right... Mari would be the pillar everyone would need.

@Adeux

Spoiler

BATTLE COPY
Mari    [H:0/0/0] - HP 1430/1430  | EN: 140/140 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
-Weapon Mod: Ferocity (+1 DMG)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)
Light Armor Mod Athletics -  Gain +1 base damage and +30 HP when wearing light armor
SURVIVAL
Rank 5 Battle Healing (5% of total health rounded down start of each turn)
Familiar Mastery Expert - +1 (*Tier) Damage - +9 Damage

EQUIPPED
Name:
Bleeding Lance| Item Type: 2H Assault Spear Tier 3
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Damage 1
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'
'Burn Damage' of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10 - Unmitigated

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking enemy.

Edited by Mari

Adeux did not expect to receive a response so quickly to his inquiry for assistance. Huh that was fast, hopefully they are strong, or at least know what they are doing, He shrugged and adjusted his clothing and made himself as presentable as possible. "Large rock, orange hair girl... Never knew anyone with pure orange hair before." He sighed and walked towards where he thought the meeting location was. After a bit of trail and error, he finally found where he was suppose to be, seeing the girl on the rock. He paused for a moment, seeing the orange cursor above her head. Did I really just walk into a trap? Hopefully not, that was be very tiresome. He debated walking towards the woman, but ended up taking the risk. He knew that he couldn't get anywhere in this game by playing it safe. So he might as well try his this out. With a smile plastered on his face he waved to the woman. "Hello? It's Adeux from the inquiry on the bulletin Board." 

@Mari

Edited by Adeux

Mari blinked as she turned to look at the man. He towered over her small seated frame, shielding her from the sun. His hair was dark and straight, cropped close to his face. Angled eyes stared down at her, they looked to be green but may have been hazel, little hard to tell from where Mari sat. He wore what looked like some strange military inspired uniform, complete with cape draped over his shoulders. Heh. He'd probably get along with Oikawa. Though- Oikawa always walked around topless. At least this man was well dressed.

"Adeux..." Mari said as she tapped her lips. It sounded like he had an American accent, but Mari couldn't be sure. She wasn't from there herself. "Hi, yeh." Mari stood up on the rock- she still didn't quite match his height. "I'm Mari." She said as she jutted out her hand to greet him. Just smile, smile and offer him a warm hello.

Mari offered him an awkward looking smile, and an even more awkward, "H-Hello. So you help. NEed. Sorry. You needed help, right?"

@Adeux

Adeux listened to her introduction and he scoffed in his head. This woman is suppose to help me but she can barely talk correctly. Lets just hope that she is bad at first impressions, for my sake anyways. He forced the fake smile a little wider and took her hand in his, shaking it. "Nice to meet you Mari, how are you today?" He asked with a slight cock to his head, giving off the impression that he is genuinely curious about what she has to say. "And yes, I need help. I'm doing the Earning a Living quest to become a cook and I need some helping gathering some materials, or at least knowing where the heck to go to find some materials." He gave a chuckle at the end of the sentence, acting slightly naive and confused. Just draw her in and make her feel important and like the teacher. It'll have her telling me everything she knows... or at least some of it.

@Mari

"You...seriously...don't know how to...." Mari bit her lip, stopping the incredulous question. No. No. Don't chastise him. Everyone starts from somewhere. "Sorry.." Mari said in earnest as she rubbed her forehead. "I'm kinda tryin' to work on my people skills and it's been a ...it's been an interesting few days. If I seem snippy just - tell me to shut the hell up. Yeh?" Mari offered him a small grin as she jumped off the rock, immediately loosing a head of height.

"Right." Mari said as she clasped her hands together. "Cooks are good, the frontlines need them right now - I'm an alchemist myself but...material gathering is always the same no matter the profession. Essentially, mostly anything could be a material." Mari gestured to the rock. "An odd coloured pebble, a flower, even tree sap." Mari said as she pointed to the various things around them. Granted, she had assumed he didn't know how to collect materials from his question, and may not need to be showing him these things; but Mari was both a teacher and a mother. So, she slipped into that mode quite quickly, almost seamlessly.

"C'mon then Adeux." Mari said as she waved for him to follow her to the nearby tree.  "Now, normally, I'd suggest something that would buff your loot rolls. Make it easier. But this is a beginner quest. So, a part of me would also say there's no point in wasting them on this. It's not like you're in any danger."

Mari offered him a cocky grin. "Ya got me to protect ya against the boars after all."

Mari slapped the tree with her palm. "Lessie... I can see three things that would be considered materials on this here tree. What do you think they are?"

ID:153441
LD: 3 - FAIL

@Adeux

Edited by Mari

Adeux bit his tongue from retorting at the beginning of Mari's tone. Don't get upset, you're not supposed to know what you are doing. She is the teacher and you are the student. He mentally sighed, but felt his mood lighten a little bit as she apologized and explained her reasons for her tone. "No no, I understand. You seem to know a lot but I do not know much, I can see how it can be really... frustrating. I promise I'm a quick learner." He smiled and gave her a thumbs up, hoping his cheerful attitude and compliment would improve the mood. Maybe I shouldn't act as clueless as I am being. I can tell it may start to irritate her. Lets cool it a bit shall we? 

His eyes followed Mari as she spoke about materials and the different things they could be, and what you can get from them. She also explained that cooks were needed around now. Perfect, I just did it because making wine is a familiar trait. The economy should be a piece of cake. He genuinely smiled and looked at the tree, cocking his head in honest contemplation.

"I think this- oh wait yeah it is!" He smiled and held up an acorn that was sitting on a branch. His system HUD categorized it as a material, and he quickly pocketed the object. "Well that was easier than I thought, I'll start checking for the other two."

ID:  153470 LD: 20 {1 Mat}

Mats: 1

@Mari

Edited by Adeux

"Yeh, honestly. Materials are worth almost as much as Col - if not more." Mari said as she crossed her arms and leaned against the tree, watching him inspect the acorn. She wrinkled her nose, scrunching up a freckled face.  "At least in a player run economy. We use materials for crafts, so they're valuable. Most people on the frontlines don't usually have builds dedicated to gathering resources - so those who can gather, can earn massive bank by exchanging materials for crafts, items, or col." Mari explained. She wasn't sure if he knew about all this or if it were too much to start bombarding him with that sort of information already. But....despite him being clueless, he seemed like a capable adult.

"I'm not going too fast, am I?" Mari asked in earnest as she tilted her head upward to get a better look at his expression. He needed help, right? That's why he asked for it...right?

Mari drew in a sharp breath and sneezed -

And somewhere, in the distance. A boar dropped dead then exploded in a flurry of data.

"S-Sorry." Mari said as she rubbed the back of her wrist on her nose. Mari...really didn't wanna be here. But, at least he was being fairly hospitable. Perhaps today wouldn't be so bad after all.

@Adeux

Adeux's smile grew a bit more as she started to describe the economy and the use of materials and Col. Okay so this is the money maker. Okay that is very good to know. Maybe I need to start gathering on my own in order to make more money. This is exciting. She stopped prematurely to ask if she was going to fast and he again had to bite his tongue. "No, everything makes sense so far. Thank you for the information. This is of course going to take a bit getting used to, but I think I can manage. I mean you seem to be doing a great job at teaching. I am already part of the way there in terms of materials." His forced smile was a bit bigger as the pair walked around. The sneeze spooked him during the quietness after what he said. The dying of the boar made his eyes go wide. D-Did she just.. no... no it can't be. Someone else must be out here! But... He shook his head and continued to look around. Unfortunately he could not find anything in the area.

ID: 153472 LD: 10

Mats: 1

@Mari

Edited by Adeux

Mari caught his startled look, and the end of the boars life. She snorted - then managed a short laugh. "Snrk-Ha!" Mari pointed to the place where the boar once was. "I knew I was strong, didn't think my sneezes would bring down the mobs here though. Or maybe I just boar'd him to death."  She immediately regretted her words. It was either a terrible joke, or a show of power - and Mari wasn't too fond of people flouting their power in people's faces. Great, just great. So much for first impressions. He probably thought she was an absolute lunatic.

Some crazy-ass ginger haired Pker running around the lower floors and - Oh....Ohh...

"Uhm..." Mari began to run her hands down the length of her mangled black scarf. How should she broach the subject. 'oh hey I'm totally not going to kill you, teehee'  yeh, no...no matter what she would say, she'd sound suspicious. Maybe...it'd be best if she didn't broach the subject unless he asked.

Mari cleared her throat and pointed to a small field of windflowers. "Hey, let's go check over there." Mari said - changing the subject from what she was going to ask. Without checking in on her partner in crime Mari began to walk toward the field, steadfast.

"So, picking flowers kinda works the same way as acorns." Mari said, kneeling down among the splattering of white blossoms. "Let's see you do it again. How many did you need in total? Do you remember?"

@Adeux

Internally Adeux groaned as Mari made the pun and laughed a bit. Please... Please stop. Just show me things don't be like this... Please. He shook his head and gave a very soft chuckle. "I haven't heard a pun like that in a while." He was happy for the change of scenery and the change of conversation. Mari took the two of them to a grouping of flowers and he bent down, investigating the items. "Okay, so just pluck them and look through them to make sure they are materials. Sounds easy enough." He began to look at them, then Mari asked if he remembered how many they needed. "Yes. I remember... I need 5 in total, so four more." The beginning of the sentence had a tiny bit of cold dashed in, but he quickly changed his tone to be more friendly. Then he began to search the flowers, plucking a blue one. His HUD screen let him know that it was a material. "40% of the way there. Thank you again for helping me." He tried to clear any tension from his tiny bit of angry tone.

ID: 152474  LD: 15 {1 Mat}

Mats: 2

Edited by Adeux

"Whoa." Mari pointed an accusatory finger toward him. "Don't forget you're the one who asked for help....buddy." She placed extra emphasis on the final word. Mari wanted to be nice. Kinda needed to be, right? To help the guild. For some insane reason the rest of the guild thought she was an asset. They thought she did well in these situations, just because she lucked out with helping a few people before. People like Yuki or Shye. And well, Yuki probably hated her now. Especially after the verbal lashing Mari gave her.

Honestly, Mari had half a mind to push him over and watch him roll around to right himself back up. A small grin of amusement formed on her lips as she imagined Adeux rolling around like a crab or turtle on its back. "Damn right thank you..." Mari mumbled under her breath.

No... no -deep breath. Dammit.

"You're welcome." Mari said as she watched him sift through the flowers. "Do you have any other questions about materials, farming, professions? Other crap?

@Adeux

The tone Mari took was antagonistic and it almost pained Adeux to hold back the irritation that he felt at the moment. It's fine.. It's fine. After this I can just be done with her and never see her again. It's okay.... But how do I dissolve this situation? I guess a little honesty never hurt. "S-Sorry. Just some real-world anxieties coming up in this world. Didn't mean to talk like that." While most of that sentence was true, he would never admit or believe he had suffered from that type of anxiety before. Mari asked him if he had any questions and he had to think for a moment. "Hmm, I'm interested in joining a guild, or at least hearing more about them. What all do you know about guilds? I've heard of some guilds from local gossip but other than that, I have not much a clue." He looked genuinely interested as he mindlessly sifted through the flowers. He aimlessly plucked one and it popped up on his HUD screen. Huh, that was easy.

ID: 153478 LD: 19 {1 Mat}

Mats: 3

@Mari

Edited by Adeux

"Yeh, I get that - still." Mari pressed her finger further, jabbing it into his collarbone. "Maybe not do that to someone willing to help you. Especially if that someone has an orange crystal." She warned. Then, realizing how that sounded Mari quickly cleared her throat, her next words spoken with a hurried concern as she placed both hands up defensively. "Err, not me - I wouldn't...anymore... but - I just...general...I-In general...yanno? It's not....you don't know what some people are capable of." Mari said as she shuffled back to give him some space if he needed it, a little scoot-scoot back on the balls of her feet.  "I- uh." Mari exhaled. This...was going far more terribly than her last few meetings with other low leveled players. What had her so torn up?

A lot of things....

But that didn't mean she should take it out on him either. "I should apologize too, so...sorry."

Mari watched as he plucked another flower from the ground. "Guilds...yeh. I'm actually in one, kinda one of the head honcho's of it. It's called Jacobs Ladder. It's...I guess its about helping people work towards their desired builds, and climbing the-" She held her hands up in air quotes.  " Ladder  outta this hell-hole. Honestly, name wasn't my idea - but I doubt my guild mates would let 'super best friends club' or 'get the f**k outta here club'  fly. Still-" 

Mari allowed herself to roll off the balls of her heels, falling onto her butt with a soft 'ompf' as she bought a knee upward so she could prop her chin onto it. "The people in that guild...I'd die for them."

@Adeux

Adeux nodded a long to what Mari was saying, and he blushed a bit in embarrassment. She did have a point, no use in being rude to a person that is helping, even if she is apparently a murderer. Well, you never know if it was self defense.... There are worse murderers in America and some of them are members of society. "No you're fine too. I am sorry for getting snippy." He paused for a moment after she finished talking.

"This world is a strange and confusing place. It's hard to be a new person when that's not what you are forced to do. The freedom of choice is f**king terrifying." He sighed a bit and sat with Mari in stillness for a moment. He thought about her guild, weighing the pros and cons of showing interest in it. "Well so far you are doing right by its guidelines. You are out helping me after all. And it's nice to have some people you are that close to. I hope to make those relationships one day." Well business associates, but who cares about word choice.

He looked around the flower field and let the sunlight fall over him. She is definitely not a nervous, anxious teacher. Maybe I'll actually get along with her. Or at least tolerate her existence. "Are there guilds that are more economic based? Like a traders guild?"

ID: 153480 LD: 1

@Mari

Edited by Adeux

'I hope to make those relationships one day.'

For a brief moment, Mari became somber, her cerulean eyes downcast - and she felt a chill despite the warm and pleasant weather of the first floor. "I unno about that. Sometimes, I feel like it's better to be on your own." Mari was thankful for everyone she had, but...she was terrified now, of loosing it all. Of saying or doing the wrong thing. Of them one day being sick of her and her crass nature, and walking away. "It's not so painful but...at the same time, I think - f**k I'm a hypocritical sh*t. At the same time I think those relationships are important." Despite her fears, Mari didn't want to loose them. Any of them. She honestly wouldn't know what she'd do if she lost any of the pillars. Baldur, Oikawa, Shield...they were probably the most important people in the world to Mari right now, at least, living.

She was thankful the topic shifted back to that of the guilds.
"Yeh, ya got the Aincrad Trading Post - which offers a decent amount of buffs but their leader Zandra? Yeh she's a frontliner but-" Mari tapped the side of her head. "She's f**king insane. I swear. Her anger is like a light switch, and I've seen and heard her completely disregard her team mates. Not just that but stab them." Mari held out her hands in exasperation. "Seriously! Who just stabs somebody?"

Well, me, but that' not the point, and in the past.

Mari shook her head. "Ah, but still - I imagine she's a capable guild leader, surely - considering she hasn't run it into the ground yet. A lotta traders and crafters join the guild purely for the bonuses. Then there's...ahhh....damn..." Mari scratched the side of her head, "There are a few others, but honestly, I don't remember them. Still if you wanna join an economic based guild, I'd go for the ATP. If not for anything but the bonuses."

Mari clasped her hands together as Adeux failed to pluck another material. "Oh, hey that happens sometimes, try again. It's fine." Mari didn't mean to sound condescending, but she probably almost definitely sounded condescending.

@Adeux

Adeux felt the somber mood cover the two of them when the girl mentioned relationships and how they can be a good and bad thing. He thought for a moment on a good response, but luckily the topic changed to something a little less... uncomfortable.

Adeux listened to what she said about the ATP, making a mental note to try to figure out members of the guild and try to get access into the guild. Okay so there is a crafting guild, best bet in order to get some actual economic support and information. Definitely get me information on the the base value of much of the goods around. Okay, this is pretty okay so far. His mental tone changed at the mention of Zandra.

His eyes went a little wide while Mari described the woman, mentioning how she stabbed someone. His eyes slowly went from her face to her orange cursor, back to the woman's face, raising an eyebrow when he looked back at her. "I'll keep her in mind when trying to join, if I do that is. Who knows where the game will take me." He shrugged and looked around a bit more. "After getting this profession, should I go right into crafting? Or should I focus a bit more on questing?" His body tensed at the tone she used, forcing himself not to roll his eyes.

ID: 153482 LD: 9

@Mari

Edited by Adeux

Mari started to play around with the flowers around her, idle hands bothered her. She never knew what to do with them. Mari picked a handful of yellow windlowers and started to thread them together to form a small chain of flowers through their stems. "Mmmm...." Mari had half a mind to tell him he could do whatever the hell he bloody wanted, she wasn't his babysitter. Still... somehow hanging out with Adeux wasn't entirely bad. And it was helping her grim mood.

"Honestly. That's up to you. If you have the spare materials, go nuts - but you'd be an idiot to not-" Wait. No, don't call the newbie player an idiot. Mari bit her tongue. "I mean to say..." Mari began, straightening her back - if it wasn't clear she was a teacher before it must have been now. She used that same tone they all had. That calm and caring tone, the slow droll tone of voice. She spoke from experience, and repetition. First hand knowledge of the world around her.

"If you want to craft, do so. But I'd recommend having a stock of materials. Before going out to hunt them, I'd suggest grabbing some loot enhancing gear, and food buffs - then you can take the Natures Treasure quest to avoid accidentally running into overpowered mobs. Later, once you've got the fighting skills. Using that same quest, can net you a sh*t tonne-" Mari stopped threading her flowers, placing them in her lap as she leaned forward toward Adeux.

"And I mean a f**king sh*t tonne- of Col. Seriously, I made like 100k in a single outting with max prospertity and loot buffs."

Mari leaned back, picking her small flower chain back up again. "Beyond that - I'd recommend doing all the beginner quests. The chains are annoying but give you a quick experience boost, and if you level up past 15 you won't gain that boost so, take advantage of it whilst its there."

@Adeux

Adeux got visibly defensive when she called him an idiot, but he kept his mouth shut. As she kept talking he calmed down a bit, possibly from the tone of voice she had taken on to act more like a teacher. His eyes watched her mess with the daisy chain she was starting to create. Looks like the ones Mom used to make the gardener's daughter. Except ours were made out of lilies. But still...

He came back to the common day and listened to her explain what he might want to do in the future. His eyes lit up when she mentioned the amount of wealth you could get by doing some of the quests. "O-Over 100K? Holy sh*t, that's a lot." He shook his head in disbelief, but inside he was already planning what he was going to do. 

She mentioned the quest chains and he groaned inwardly. He hated quest chains when he played MMO's in the real world, he was not looking forward to living them out in person. "Great.... Well I'll probably drag someone along so things don't take years to accomplish. I realized I haven't even asked some of the basic questions of learning about people. My apologies. What level are you? And what are some of the hobbies you have when you're not teaching new players and hanging with your guild?"

ID: 153484 LD: 1

@Mari

Edited by Adeux

Mari snorted in amusement at the look that Adeux flashed her, as if to say the audacity  "Hey now~" Mari added in a jovial tone. "I'm just helping someone who doesn't know anything, right?" She asked. Tilting her head to the side offering him a grin. Mari couldn't know for sure, but - he seemed way more apt at collecting materials than someone who didn't know what they were doing at all. She had taught many new players, and he was either ridiculously smart, and caught on quick - or there was more to him than met the eye. Mari didn't question it though, she simply shrugged her bare shoulders. And changed the subject straight back to one he was clearly interested in.

"You say that, but really - it's not. The economy is completely f**ked. If you ever get close to my level I'd offer to help you out buuut...you kinda got a long way to go on that one." Again, Mari paused with her chain. Her eyes studying him as he asked questions. What should she say? "I'm level 71." Mari said, there was no use in lying. "So I'm only a few levels off of the level cap." Mari shifted her gaze skyward.

Hobbies....

Sh*t.

Did she even have any hobbies?

"You know...." Mari said thoughtfully. "I don't know. It's been so long since I've focused on myself. I can't really say. I guess, I really enjoy playing the violin."

@Adeux