[PP-F5] An End, and a Beginning

No good. 

Alkor pulled his head out of the sand and gasped for air, shaking off the grains that clung to him. He heard Mari making a slew of puns, and recognized that she was making light of the situation. How nervous was she? It occurred to him in that moment that she might be even more distraught than he was about the meeting. He'd taken time to make peace within himself. Had he given her the same luxury?

Damn it. Way to be considerate of her feelings..

He then reddened a bit when the past thirty seconds vividly replayed in his mind. Did you start worrying about her feelings before or after you landed face first-

Okay. Not helpful. Alkor managed to find his footing as Mari claimed first blood. She translated her uneasiness into excitement and even encouragement, but Alkor was too far to capitalize on her momentum. He started to bolt toward the beast, but it slithered away into the sand, safely warded against any attack... at least for the moment.

Alkor skidded along the sand, kicking up a cloud of dust as he fought to halt his momentum and get a better read on where the creature was and how it intended to strike next. He kept his composure in spite of the tension and awkwardness, his blade held low to the side as he skimmed the fray for any atypical sign of displacement.

"Sorry, it rocked me pretty good," Alkor apologized. "Couldn't recover quick enough. I'm up now, though."

Alkor.  520/620 HP | 47/60 EN | 10 DMG | 48 MIT | 1 EVA | 3 ACC | 1 BLT (BD 9-10)

Mari  - HP 1490/1490  | EN: 128/146 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15

Sando Satsu:  HP: 85/350 | DAM: 150 | 30 MIT  

ID167071

Battle: 2 <miss>

Mob: 4 <miss>

Edited by Alkor

Mari laughed, weirdly relieved to see that he had the same problem as her when it came to his attack missing. "I'm sure if Corvo were here he'd ask are you sure its the lizard that rocked you?" With one hand still clutching the spear she waved off the comment dismissively. "I kid, by the way." 

"Tch." Mari couldn't be mad at Alkor for missing. She could be mad at the Sando Setsu for trying to fling her off. Mari hunkered down, then with a violent motion ripped her spear out of his head. "w-whoa..." Mari struggled to stay on his head as the beast tried to thrash her off. "STOP." Mari stabbed it. "IT!" And again. "WE'RE." A third stab. "TALKING!" And a fourth.

With the fourth the Sando Satsu gave a guttural roar before exploding beneath her. Mari fell- and managed to land on her feet. "Phew..." She wiped her brow. Grimacing at the sweat. She paused. Wait...was I this sweaty when... Her eyes shifted to Alkor. sh*t. Not that it mattered. Right? Mari shook her head and bent down to pick up the item that was dropped. 

"Well...." Mari glanced down at herself then to Alkor. "That didn't err..." They both looked a right mess. Disheveled clothes and red faces, both with sand stuck to their skin. "Go according to plan but here-"  Mari threw Alkor the item. She didn't need it. "A promise is a promise."

Now that the fight was over, and things had settled, should she address what happened? Mari kicked at the sand. Should she apologize? It wasn't exactly her fault. But - Mari knew how Alkor was about being close to people. He could barely stand someone holding his sleeve. Let alone... 

Mari cleared her throat. 

"So. Should we get outta here?"

Mari put her weapon away and began walking out of the arena, past Alkor as she began to pat the sand off her clothes. "All things aside- I enjoyed this." She paused. "I mean, hanging with you again. It's been nice." Mari turned to look over her shoulder at him. "Sorry about before."

@Alkor

Passive: +1 EN
Action:Action: [x15] Dimension Stampede (17 Energy) - An attack with four fast stabs, only to be concluded by a jumping slam from above. 
ID:167078  BD: 2 + 4= hit  19X15=285-220 = 265

Alkor.  520/620 HP | 47/60 EN | 10 DMG | 48 MIT | 1 EVA | 3 ACC | 1 BLT (BD 9-10)

Mari  - HP 1490/1490  | EN: 129/146 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15

Sando Satsu:  HP: 0/350 | DAM: 150 | 30 MIT  

Edited by Mari

"He'd comment on how sloppy my form was, and that if I didn't stop slacking, he'd take over as Captain." Alkor knew exactly what kind of dynamic he and the others had, but it had been so long since they'd had it. Sometimes it felt surreal, looking back, and he wondered whether any of it had existed at all. Was it the past that wasn't real, or was it Aincrad? If he took the time to wake up, would he come to realize it was all a dream, and he was just lucid for it?

That would have made the face full of softness just a little less overwhelming. It was not to be, sadly, as Mari tossed the weapon that came from defeating the Field boss toward him and he stowed it in his inventory. No, no, Alkor had very much experienced those few seconds and he had to stifle every thought he had on the matter so he wouldn't get too flustered to speak.

"Well, its dead," he shrugged with a sigh. "No thanks to me, I guess,  but I'm learning that's the norm when it comes to Frontline these days. Anything less doesn't come close. I kinda figured you'd stay near the top." 

He started to follow her out of the arena as she said that she'd had fun, and Alkor huffed. "Well, I'm glad it wasn't horrible," he said honestly. "I apologize that I was a total letdown."

When she said she was sorry for before, he tilted his head.  When did she mean? Maybe he should just let it go. 

"For what its worth, thanks," he said quietly.

Mari snorted. Holding in a laugh from his comment, then - her smile faded as she remembered someone else. What was his name again? The guy who hated her cause of the perceived relationship between her and Alkor? Mari bit her tongue. Sh*t. This would bother her till she remembered. Mari was going to comment how it felt more like..."Arc!" Mari shouted the name then quickly covered her mouth. OOPS. "I Uh.... uhm I mean...." Crap. Crap. Crap. "I mean...uh... eheh... that sounds like something he'd say but..." Mari felt flustered. She tried to wave off her faux paux. "But I mean, they're your friends you know them way better than me I'm just an acquaintance to them at best. I probably annoyed them a while  back anyway, typical Mari am I right?" She added with dizzying speed.

Mari grabbed the bridge of her nose. Deep breath in. Hold. Exhale. And push everything down. "No, when I came back I was pretty weak." Mari admitted. "I threw myself into fighting. Learning. Actually letting others help for once." Her furrowed brows softened when they rested on Alkor. "I feel like I'm far better off than I was - but. I'm still climbing. We all are."

The two were walking side by side now - still an arms breadth apart. "You weren't a letdown - I appreciate the company. Sides - its good practice. I'm still new to the whole dagger tied to a stick thing."   Mari turned to him when he thanked her.

"Likewise, Thom."

@Alkor