[SP|F4] <<Training Your Friend>> Practice

Now that Chase had taken care of Blizz, the frostscale pangolin he ended up taming and making his familiar just earlier, he decided it'd be a good idea to train him. And out of all the places to train him, no better floor than the one he'd found him in. He'd certainly be used to moving around in an environment like this, and that was going to do him much better if the boy wanted his companion to learn how to help him dish out damage even better. As small as it was, game logic prevailed and allowed it to boost the bluehead's numbers. Whatever, nothing he had a problem with.

Ready to find a spot the two could train at, they exited the town with the pangolin resting on the boy's shoulders, although something got in their way just a bit further away from the safezone- who would have thought another wolf would have the audacity to show up and practically challenge the boy to a fight. "I doubt that they have a sense of 'family', the game's just trying to get to my nerves...", he grunted as he took his blade out, gesturing for his friend to hold on tight.

Spoiler

Name: ChaseR
Level: 20
HP: 400/400
EN: 40/40

Stats:
Damage: 11
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 3
REC:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: <<Cloud Cutter>> (T1/Perfect/2HSS): DMG III
Armor: <<Sky Blue Apparel>> (T1/Perfect/Light Armor): EVA I; REC II
Misc: <<Warm Earmuffs>> (T1/Perfect/Trinket): ACC III

Skills:
Two-Handed Straight Sword [Rank 5]

Extra Skills:

Mods:
2HSS Finesse [Rank 1]

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions(heal 50HP)*3
T1 Rare Health Potions (heal 40HP)*5
Field Rations*1
Immolation Potion*1
Spyglass (2/3)*1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drawing his blade once more, the boy had gotten just a bit more used to performing all of his sword arts, and with the few skill points he invested in getting a mod for his abilities, he was going to be spending less energy using them now. With a wide grin on his face as he got more and more excited to see it in play, he quickly jumped forward at the beast and tried to use Fight Blade, throwing a barrage of attacks right at it with a few overcuts, undercuts and horizontal slashes to give it no break and stun it, if all went as planned.

The wolf seemed much more affected than the monsters usually did, as the attack hit especially hard. His battle experience was slowly stacking up by the looks of it, helping him get more and more fearsome to deal with as the monster was now within range for his finishing move to take it out and greet him with some well deserved loot.

image.png.05e772bc19c40dcac24a82710acc149c.png

Chase: HP: 400/400 | EN: 32/40 (-8) | DMG: 11 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Snow Wolf: HP: 128/200 (-72) | DMG: 60 (Stun) [CD Stun; 3/3]

Edited by ChaseR

"Now's my chance again! I'm getting better and better at this, heh.", he quickly thought as his stance shifted. As per usual, he planted his legs into the snow and lowered his blade instead of lifting it into the air, taking a deep breath and feeling his lungs before sending all his strength to his hands to perform a powerful upwards slash at an angle, cutting horizontally right at his foe with intent to kill. "Drop dead!", he powerfully shouted as some snow got blown right out of the path his blade crossed, grinning widely and checking the monster's HP bar.

And just when he was becoming confident into himself and getting in the heat of battle, the wolf snapped him out of it by biting right his way, causing him to awkwardly shift his stance to barely block the attack with the flat of his blade and throw the enemy to the side. "W-Woah!"

image.png.bcc0132fbee8c53723183a809988e1be.png

Chase: HP: 400/400 | EN: 31/40 (-2,+1) | DMG: 11 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Snow Wolf: HP: 128/200 | DMG: 60 [CD Stun; 2/3]

Edited by ChaseR

Quickly gaining his momentum once more, the boy breathed in and regained his composure as he started to run at his enemy. With a quick dart of his eyes to his shoulder, he saw the pangolin taking in the fight carefully before looking at his opponent again, lowering his weapon to the ground once more before starting to unleash a barrage of undercuts and slashes at the wolf. His intent to kill was still there, although he finally controlled it at least a tiny bit- he wasn't savage, but he was still enjoying the heat of the battle. The adrenaline rush, his heart beating faster, the cold sweat forming on his body despite the cold.

Once more however, the boy missed every single attack to his surprise. Despite his familiar being more comfortable with moving around in the snow, it appeared he himself was just slow enough to fail at landing a hit, to his own surprise. The wolf attempted to pounce at him once more, but with another deflect with the flat of his blade, the boy threw it to the side once more.

image.png.5a41af2f0709e544a56d238d18b4070b.png

Chase: HP: 400/400 | EN: 32/40 (-2,+3) | DMG: 11 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Snow Wolf: HP: 128/200 | DMG: 60 [CD Stun; 1/3]

Edited by ChaseR

"Q-Quit it and just take the hit already!", he almost shouted at it in frustration, smiling widely nonetheless as he charged at it again and repeated the same sword art, hoping that he'd manage to take it down this once. "I'm missing over and over, but this is what a real battle feels like- not a monster that dies in two hits like all the rest, this one has survived in harsh environments- harsh enough to stand up to me over the rest!", he finished his triumphant thoughts as he did his attack, checking its HP bar once more just as intently as the pangolin did.

Once again, the scene repeated right before his eyes. His attack missed, the wolf tried to attack and got thrown by the side again. At this point, it had become a fight of willpower more than anything. The two were attacking over and over until one of them decided to take a hit- in Chase's case, many.

image.png.16e65dd33174f0e18c9c0f53904f3f2c.png

Chase: HP: 400/400 | EN: 31/40 (-2,+1) | DMG: 11 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Snow Wolf: HP: 128/200 | DMG: 60

Edited by ChaseR

"It's surprising to even think that this is a normal monster, and not a boss. I wonder how many people this could have felled, to have this much combat experience.", his thoughts continued to go on and on while he prepared himself, feeling his energy drain much slower than usual due to all his failed attempts as well as the new mod that he'd picked up, making this fight an exciting back and forth. For the fourth time, he attempted to repeat the same attack in hopes it'd finally land and put an end to this, feeling happy that something showed up, not strong enough to overpower him and put him at risk, but not too weak to drop dead right away either.

At last, the final attack landed and he could hear the blip before even attempting to check at its health bar. "Finally!", he said, stopping with his back arched forwards as he tried to catch up with his breath. How many hits had it been that it'd avoided in a row... Three? That was a lot... Too many for a monster he usually took out that quickly.

image.png.d9bd7ec60b4a86eee3e7068493cbee52.png

image.png.bc162c9607926e292601f8eb7201bbe0.png

Chase: HP: 400/400 | EN: 20/40 (-11,+1) | DMG: 11 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 3 | REC: 2
Snow Wolf: HP: 128/200 | DMG: 60

Loot: 1 T1 Rare Consumable, 1 T1 Rare Armor/Shield, 2 T1 Materials, 1000 Col

Edited by ChaseR

The boy looked on his shoulder at the pangolin as his fingers slid the loot confirmation window away without even peeking at it beforehand, grinning and pointing to a tree further ahead. "We'll be fighting together, from here on out. So I want you to try slashing at the tree the same way I slashed at the wolf. Don't miss though, okay Blizz?", he asked his companion which simply looked like it gave a nod, to his surprise.

With that, it jumped off of his shoulder and onto the ground, digging through the snow before popping up next to the tree. It seemed to close its eyes for a moment, preparing the same way Chase did before every sword art he was about to use. Attempting to use its claws to scratch, Blizz raised its hand high in the air and swept downwards, although it missed the tree by a fair bit. The bluehead crossed his arms, giving a small smile. "It's alright."

image.png.e1d6d283b92baeeb12e221fb0026e2d3.png

Loot: 1 T1 Rare Consumable, 1 T1 Rare Armor/Shield, 2 T1 Materials, 1000 Col
Successful Training Attempts: 0/3
Training Cooldown: 5 posts

Edited by ChaseR

The boy walked up to the pangolin, looking at him and picking him up. Maybe it'd take something more than just copying his moves to get him to learn how to battle properly. As a monster, he never got to see his companion fight any, so he wasn't aware what moves he had that were integrated into the system for his monster type. However, inspecting his body could give him a better idea. "Maybe it can roll at enemies to leave them in a daze, but it's too small actually... What about its tail, if it tried to slam into them... It could work like the attack I perform with my sword?"

After giving it some thought, he concluded that was probably one of the ways to go. Perhaps it'd be able to imitate the way he was using his Tempest ability, all this time. Hitting the opponents with the flat of his blade- dealing less damage, but not quite so little that they could shrug it off and move on with it. It probably wouldn't cause the stun effect, but... It was worth a try, even on a tree, for practice.

Training Cooldown: 4 posts

His friend seemed somewhat disappointed by its failed attempt, but that was alright. Chase figured that it must have some timer of sorts, keeping it from going at training relentlessly. It was a monster after all, so just from its code it would come off as natural. "Hell, who am I trying to fool, I can't tell if it's coded to do that or not... It feels too life like to me.", he sighed mentally, dropping his head only for the pangolin to crawl up on his legs and look him in the eyes with a confused tilt of its head.

"Don't worry about it little guy, I'm just thinking of other ways to help you train. We'll give it some rest and then try again in a minute or so, okay? So prepare yourself and do your best to outdo your best.", he attempted to pep talk it, only to sigh at the near intangible mess of words that kept coming out. "I'm seriously not used to speaking this much damn it... I guess Blizz can help ease me into that sort of thing... Or something..?", he awkwardly finished once more, rubbing the back of his neck as even his thoughts were getting confused.

Training Cooldown: 3 posts

"Speaking of Blizz... Maybe finding a material or something beforehand will help him feel better in the meantime, if he even feels bad. It's hard having a pet in a game where you can't tell their intent, man...", he sighed before whistling to get his familiar's attention, starting to rummage through the snow around them in hopes they'd find a material to stash into his inventory. Maybe he could create equipment for his familiar, although he doubted that. Regardless, the idea was enough to warrant trying to find materials all the same.

They didn't find anything this time around, but that didn't mean they had to stop right now and then. With a bit more effort and some good luck sprinkled in, he'd probably spot something sooner or later, even if the snow was making it harder to. "Say, how generic some materials are... Sure, I've seen some more 'personalized' ones, but... Sigh, they didn't get too creative in that part..."

image.png.a1b1660c399cce9b7b186b39e1ccae89.png

Training Cooldown: 2 posts

Edited by ChaseR

"But speaking of creativity... They were at least creative enough to help make whatever Blizz is. Honestly, I wasn't even aware they were this small back in the real world... M-Maybe they are bigger, but the game usually keeps stuff at their normal dimensions as far as I've seen, when they're not fantasy creatures... Th-Then again, the spiders...". His internal monologues were just enough to get him going as of right now, honestly. He shivered at the mere thought of those arthropods, looking to the side at his friend and moving a hand over to pet him, all the while shovelling snow with his other hand to look for materials.

"Look right there, buddy.", he called out and pointed at the shining material, as Blizz approached it and tried reaching out for it with its tongue. To his friend's surprise though, instead of attempting to gulp it down, it handed it over to his hand and let him stash it away. 

image.png.e426c88f1f191bcda092aa7d0678ca8a.png

Loot: 1 T1 Rare Consumable, 1 T1 Rare Armor/Shield, 3 T1 Materials, 1000 Col
Training Cooldown: 1 posts

Edited by ChaseR

This was enough at least for Chase to feel pumped up about the next training attempt they were about to throw down. "Alrighty then! You did it, nicely done! Let's try to go back to practicing on the tree then, yeah?", the boy asked with a smile, only to get a croak-like sound from his familiar before it approached the tree once more. It took a deep breath and lifted its right hand into the air, making the same movement as Chase once more before slashing down at the log in hopes of succeeding.

The tension was high as the boy couldn't see too well, needing to move to the side to see the results of the his scaled partner's training. Sadly, it wasn't successful, but it was a valiant attempt to say the least. Although unsure if it would help him any, the bluehead clapped his hands together, trying to encourage his friend to keep on trying. He was certain he'd eventually manage to get to it all too well. "You did well, even if you didn't make it. Don't worry little guy, practice makes perfect."

image.png.43084ee185254c84dd8727dabcefd75b.png

Training Cooldown: 5 posts

Edited by ChaseR

"Maybe we just haven't found the right way to train you yet, that's all. Plus, you'll need a lot of moves. Slash all you want but you're not me, you have a tail, a very strong body, you're almost made out of ice and you have claws too. We can come up with plenty of ways for you to help me in battle, alright?", he continued, stopping only once he realized he was still talking to his familiar and not a human being that would fully understand what he had to say. Then again, it didn't make a difference, it felt better to be along with Blizz rather than on his own, monologuing on his own inside his head.

"Let's see... We'll just have to come up with moves for you. So, once you learn how to use your claws, we'll look for more ways that might be easier to learn, okay?", he offered again, plopping onto the ground and looking to the side in case any materials had decided to show up while he tried to brainstorm ideas.

image.png.9c68f482c20b6c8637cb4ed11dc1fe93.png

Edited by ChaseR

"Come think of it, we'll be here for a while, so there's no need to rush either... I wonder though... If elements are a thing in this game, or monster types or whatever, would that mean that Blizz can use his ice to make my attacks stronger through my sword..? Maybe with a breath or something... I-It's a game so stuff like that should work if it does in fantasy movies, right..?", he hesitantly attempted to finish that train of thoughts, finding trying to look for attacks to practice much harder than it initially seemed. With it being a fantasy game, he'd expect that it would be a piece of cake, but he was rather limited on knowledge instead of resources.

With a deep sigh, the boy reached a hand out to his pangolin to pet it, noticing just how cold its body was while he rummaged through the snow near them with the other. "Perhaps I should let you come up with your own attacks, eh little one?"

image.png.a82eb5dd9010c42cf87d7fdc81b61054.png

Training Cooldown: 3 posts

Edited by ChaseR

"I already found my familiar, but last time we were together, Shay didn't have one, and she was here for longer... I wonder what sort of a familiar she's going to get though. Maybe she already has one but keeps it at her shop..? But I didn't see or hear anything when we visited it the other day...", he thought to himself, frowning and trying to give it some thought. There was just so much going through his head right now, and thankfully for him, he had enough time to train his pangolin that he could spare a few minutes pondering about this sort of stuff, as well.

Maybe it wouldn't get him anywhere, but with a clearer head, both he and his own familiar would train harder and faster. "You haven't met Shay yet actually, have you? I think you'll like her. She sucks at talking though.", he joked, sharing a chuckle with the pangolin that just tried imitating him, making an odd sound once more. "I-Is that what it's supposed to sound like..?", he wondered, looking over it for any glowing materials.

image.png.2ca83b9a4003003f298c1b4c35ef9aae.png

Loot: 1 T1 Rare Consumable, 1 T1 Rare Armor/Shield, 4 T1 Materials, 1000 Col

Edited by ChaseR

"Come think of it... Is Blizz a he or a she? No way to really tell in here, so... I-I'll just call him he, why not...", Chase awkwardly concluded, not wanting to look like an idiot to himself and try to look for any obvious non-additions to the game. Actually, just the mere idea of doing that crept him out. Suddenly though, on the topic of training, an idea came to mind as he grinned and clapped his hand at the pangolin once he'd reached out for the material behind it and grabbed it, stuffing it in his inventory again.

"Say, can you roll to hit an enemy?!", he excitedly asked him, grinning widely before realising his little issue- he was mixing up armadillos and pangolins, which was... alright, but seeing as they were different species... "O-Oh, right, you're a pangolin... Can't do that, can you?", his excitement drowned out as he frowned a bit and fiddled with his fingers, lowering his head to let out a deep breath and looking by the side. "Man, it's hard trying to train Blizz... Nobody told me about this..."

Training Cooldown: 1 posts

It wasn't long after his suggestion that Blizz decided to begin heading to the tree again. He hoped this wouldn't take so long to complete that it'd become a daily thing from here on out, trying to slash at trees that was, but he realised he should have a bit more faith into his own companion if he wants to rely on him fully for battle. "Going at it on his own... He's very motivated for a monster, for sure.", he mumbled and decided to watch the pangolin train quietly, allowing him to do whatever he thought was best.

The same scene as before unravelled in front of him, with the pangolin lifting his tiny hand into the air and slashing down at the tree. However, this time there was no deep breath beforehand and his full, undivided attention was on the tree's log. It finally seemed to land, chipping a bit of wood off, albeit still a surprising amount for the little guy's dimensions.

image.png.ea85d3944e883381325dedbcbfe8aff3.png

Successful Training Attempts: 1/3
Training Cooldown: 5 posts

Edited by ChaseR

A loud and quick clap was heard from behind the icy mammal as Chase picked him up shortly after and hugged him close to his chest, laughing out of happiness. "You did it, that was great! You remember how to slash now, so we can move on to something else! You know better though, so I trust you the most on this one, okay? I'll just keep watch and do little else to get in the way. You probably know your attacks better than I do, considering you're... you know, a monster and all. Just try your best and I'm sure you'll succeed just as you did with this!"

"Hell, maybe this was too hard for him to learn and that's why it took so many tries and attempts. Copying me didn't seem to work either, as soon as he stopped doing exactly what I did, he got it right.", he finished his thoughts inside of his head rather than aloud, trying to contemplate if he was really right in trying out training this way. It probably wasn't wrong to do, but then again, he'd never trained anybody, even a pet in real life, before, so it came off as a completely new and unfamiliar experience to him.

Even if it had taken quite some time, the two had finally succeeded once and that was enough. After a few more monologues inside of his head, Chase concluded that maybe learning around three or so different moves to try out in combat would be exactly what was needed to support him in battle, even if it wasn't all that much. Just a little bit of damage more would always help him focus his attention in stunning his opponents or getting his hands on other, rarer enchantments that would help turn the tides of combat in multiple ways other than just lowering the monsters' HP faster.

With a quick glance by the side at his companion, Chase inspected its bodily features that could be used as weapons once more. Its claws were sturdy enough to chip away at trees, probably even more so to dig through ice and solid ground if need be. It was definitely alright on the melee attacks, although one more variation wouldn't hurt that much either.

Training Cooldown: 3 posts

All that thought about attack varieties and the like got Chase thinking about his own sword arts. He drew his blade, holding it out in front of him and looking at it with a troubled look. He silently let his eyes roam about the blade, looking at its flat, its double edge that was as sharp as ever, its tip, the hilt, every single bit of it could be used as a weapon to block, attack or put someone in a daze one way or another. Maybe if the pangolin viewed its own body as a 'weapon', some things would become easier to understand.

For example, the boy's eyes got pinned on the flat of his Cloud Cutter. "Maybe if I teach you to use your tail the same way I used to slam its side into monsters, you can use that as a move too...", he mumbled, looking down at his familiar which was giving a curious look, almost as if trying his hardest to understand what was going on in the boy's head.