[SP|F1]<<TFLAF:2>>A Chance to Change

After having met up with Dagger and acquiring her Katana skill, Yuurei's next mission was to start doing some of the quests. If she continued to rot away in this god forsaken game, she would go completely insane. Her friends and family were likely waiting for her out in the real world, but she also had friends here in the game that she needed to show she could become strong. Letting them carry her on their backs would be shameful.

Walking through the plaza of the Town of Beginnings, she would finally pick up the second begginer's quest. Aptly named: Second Lessons. Walking into the blacksmiths shop, his name Lyle, she approached him and pulled the dusty package from her inventory, putting it down on his counter. He eyed her down with a suspicious look in his eyes. "Well, it's about time this order got here. It's been some time since I ordered these hammers."

Spoiler

Name: Yuurei
Level: 9
HP: 180/180
EN: 18/18

Stats:
Damage: 5
Mitigation: 18
H.M.:2
REC:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Yuurei Shikiri: Dmg III
Armor: Yuurei no Kaze: HM II; Rec I
Misc: Samurai's Plate: MIT II; Rec I

Skills:
Curved Sword [Rank 1]
Katana [Rank 2]

Extra Skills:

Mods:

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potions*3
T1 Healing Potions(40hp)*5
T1 DMG Potion Unc.*1
Over-Health(Special 50HP)*1

Housing Buffs:

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

"I'd say you're lucky that they got here at all old man." She replied simply, knowing that they artificial intelligence was likely just playing games with her. Nevertheless, the man nodded in approval and looked over the goods that she had given him. Then she stood and waited for him to do the obvious: Ask her to do a favor for him.

"Could I ask a favor of you, if you aren't too busy lass?" He asked, Yuurei face palmed in response, but sighed through and nodded. "I need some materials to make a few rings for a friend of mine. If you would be so kind, there are boars in the area with some fine tusks. You could easily take them out and bring me back their tusks. I'll give you some gear in return for you troubles." Yuurei took a moment to think on it. Her gear was probably about as good as it could be, but she needed the experience.

With a nod she placed a hand on her hip. "Sure thing, I have nothing better to do here. Might as well hone my katana skills further. I only just unlocked them." Lyle gave the girl a smile and pulled out a map for her. He placed a finger on a forested area not far from the safe zone. "Here's where you can find the boars that I mentioned. They're weak little critters, but I only make the weapons. I'm not the best when it comes to fighting beasts."

Yuurei pulled up her own map and marked the location down for exploration. Turning towards the door frame, she looks back for a moment and simply says one thing. "I'll be back in no time." The door opened and closed quickly. With a brisk walk through the Town of Beginnings, she figure that it wouldn't take her very long to get there.

The feeling of leaving the safe zone used to be nerve wracking and absolutely terrifying to her. Every time you stepped out of one of these areas, you were risking your life. Though to be fair, albeit not in the same perspective, leaving your house in the real world was just about the same thing.

Within minutes of exiting the safe zone, Yuurei would find the location where these boars were supposed to spawn. They were weaker versions of regular boars so it shouldn't be difficult to deal with, especially since she just unlocked her new weapon skill. With it, she could become stronger than ever.

Walking out into the field, she saw the spawns of boars in all directions. There were absolutely a ton of them. Caution was needed if she wanted to ensure she didn't attract an entire group of the boars into a pack.

Looking for an open group of boars to take on, the samurai was surprised to spot another person seemingly doing the same quest. A younger girl than her by no more than four years. She was probably fifteen, if she was basing it on her age. By now she would be 18 or so. In the distance, it looked like she was fighting with some of the boars. This wouldn't have been all that interesting, if she hadn't witnessed them knock her to the ground. It was about this time that she realized the girl had no actual weapon. Her health was in the red.

Shit! Without even thinking, the samurai rushed in to help her. She was never one to jump in and help people, but she certainly wasn't going to sit here and watch another person die right in front of her. "Quick! Get out of the way!" She called out to the girl in blue, who was doing her best to scoot out of the battlefield on her rear-end.

The boars were mindless enough to simply focus on anything that was in front of them, which thankfully meant that she was now their next target. "Think you can beat me you little shits?! Come on then!" The samurai growled, readying her silvered sword. The boars took up her challenge, charging in her direction from all angles, but coming up way too short on all their attacks. She too was having a difficult time making her attacks land, but one of the boars was simply unlucky.

With a dash of speed, the ghost slashed her target in half. It's tusk appeared in her inventory. Two birds with one stone. Turning her head back to the other girl, Yuurei nodded at her she looked scared shitless. Well, as long as she was here, Yuurei would protect her. Readying her blade for the next wave of attacks, she would be prepared for anything upcoming.

image.png

Yuurei | HP: 180/180 | EN: 15/18 -(3)| DMG: 5 | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Boar Pup 1: 5/5 | DMG: 3
Boar Pup 2: 5/5 | DMG: 3

Boar Pup 3: 5/5 | DMG: 3
Boar Pup 4: 0/5 | DMG: 3

image.png

Tusk Acquired: 1/3 (Note: ID 166182 is unusable. I hit enter too fast.)

Another boar jumped into the fray. She wasn't scared of these things though. They would be lucky to scratch her armor at all. Turning to look at the girl she was rescuing, she would do her best to be social with her. "What is your name? Mine is Yuurei. Call me Yuu or Rei for short." The opposing girl took a moment to speak up, but sooner or later, she did. The boars were in the middle of making their attacks when the soft voice spoke up finally.

"S-Saigyouji. That's my name, in the game." Of course, she wasn't going to tell her what her real name was. It was bad manners to speak about another personal life outside of a game. Meanwhile, the ghost was having a problem with landing attacks on her targets, though with each attack she would miss, she only continued to get stronger and stronger.

image.png

Yuurei | HP: 179/180 -(5-18) | EN: 15/18 -(2+2) | DMG: 5 (+2) | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Boar Pup 5: 5/5 | DMG: 3

Yuurei winced as one of the boars managed to catch her by surprise. Thankfully, her armor was more than enough to tank the blows. "Saigyouji? That's pretty difficult to say. I hope you don't mind if I call you Sai for short." Rei said, focusing back on the fight. She needed to start eliminating some of these boars before they got more of their buddies to jump into the fight. If they started getting overwhelmed, Sai might be in big trouble.

The green blade lit bright in her hands. She could feel the power increase from her armor modifications increasing her damage to exceptional levels. This world really made no since to her, but she could understand numbers enough to understand she was doing more damage. With swift strikes, every single one of her enemies fell to her blade. A beautiful show of swordsmanship yielded her one more tusk for her collection. 

Spoiler

image.png

Yuurei | HP: 179/180 | EN: 10/18 -(9)+3 | DMG: 5 (+2) | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Boar Pup 5: 5/5 | DMG: 3

Spoiler

image.png

Tusk Acquired: 2/3

Sai simply cocked her head to the other girl. Yuu gave her a smile as she sheathed her blade. The targets were all eliminated in an instant, so they would be able to rest for a moment. "Sai? I've never had anyone call me by a nickname like that before." She replied. Rei walked over to her and offered her a hand up from the ground. She could see that her health bar was back in the green thankfully.

"Good thing I came along when I did. You looked as though you were having a pretty rough time hunh?" The girl's eyes scanned her for any weapons. Although, she didn't seem to have one on her person. "Did you lose your weapon?"

"The durability broke in combat... I wasn't going to win anyways." Sai was obviously sheepish. That at least made it pretty easy to talk to her. It looked like she wanted to say more, but they were unceremoniously interrupted by a boar. "I need to get one more tusk for this quest. If you want to wait around, I can walk you back to the safe zone afterwards."

image.png

Yuurei | HP: 179/180 | EN: 9/18 -(2)+1 | DMG: 5 | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Boar Pup 6: 5/5 | DMG: 3

• 8 months later...

Thinking back on it, did weapons eve have a durability limit? She never recalled one breaking for her or needing to really upkeep it. Did someone hand her a fake weapon and tell her to use to actually fight something with it? She had an abundance of questions for the girl, but nevertheless there were more important things to deal with at the moment. The Emerald Ghost moved through the battlefield, keeping the boars attention on her rather than her rescued friend.

The wind sung with steel, just shy of her fuzzy little target who was also having a difficult time finding anything with it's ivory bone. With no damage on either side, the two of them would continue this confrontation. Though thinking about it, if she did finish this one off and didn't get it to drop it's tusk item. She already had most of what she needed, only on more would complete her objective and she could get Sai to safety.

image.thumb.png.f03a1f10c55e32e880f14e9fb07875d9.png

Yuurei | HP: 179/180 | EN: 8/18 -(2)+1 | DMG: 5 | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Edited by Yuurei

Yuu continued her battle with the tiny little boar, but as extensive as it was, she would still find time to talk with Sai. The girl was about to die to something so harmless. She had to be an extremely low level to be having such a problem. "What is your health sitting at right now? You're still in combat unless you flee, so we I need to know where you're at." She would say as the boar would scrape across her the armor on her shin. Sai would frantically search her Heads-Up for where that information was, further confirming her suspiscion that she was a novice with video games in general. Reminded her of someone she knew. "Top left of your vision."

"Ah- Right... I knew that..." The girl would clear her throat and speak up. "I'm on 11/20. B-But I'll heal once the boar is gone right? I'm not going to die?"

image.thumb.png.e391e29b52d02084396ec9a4c4661efd.png

Yuurei | HP: 178/180 -(1) | EN: 7/18 -(2)+1 | DMG: 5 | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Edited by Yuurei

With another swing, the samurai would attempt to put an end to this petty squabble one could call a fight. However, the game would continue to decide that she wasn't worthy of finishing this boar despite having vanquished four or five in a single slash. "No, you're not going to die." Yuu would reassure Sai, not forgetting about her presence. "You won't heal instantly. We'll need to keep you away from a few enemies until your HP ticks back to full." The girl would explain, still having some limited knowledge of how exactly combat worked, but she knew enough to put Sai's nerves at ease.

"Th-Thank goodness..." The girl muttered finally standing to her feet. "I must be really lucky to have been saved by you." Yuu never really believed in luck to that degree. Life and death was on the line. Nothing about that screamed luck. Though, she could understand how it would be weird to simply call it a coincidence.

image.thumb.png.160d8d17665589da4cb87661d1be3bce.png

Yuurei | HP: 178/180 | EN: 7/18 -(2)+1 | DMG: 5 | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Edited by Yuurei

The brilliant gleam of her blade now putting a wildly blinding light upon any onlooker's eyes, Yuu knew what it was time for. With all the time she's spent in this fight without landing an attack, her passive energy collection was going to unleash something devastating on this helpless hunk of haunch. Raising the blade in the air, catching a bright glint of the sun, Yuurei's swift attack was barely even discernable to Sai's eyes. "There we go." Yuu would shift her hair back into position and meet up with the other girl.

"Th-That was amazing!" She would say, completely flabbergasted. "You must be really strong if you can do something like that!" Yuu would shrug at the statement. It wasn't untrue that their difference in strength was large, but it wasn't like Sai couldn't also obtain the same amount power. They would hardly have much words though, seeing the pack now descending upon them.

image.thumb.png.f40cd8b25d441c5c96b868dd966dbe2b.png

Yuurei | HP: 178/180 | EN: 3/18 -(4)+1 | DMG: 5 | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Edited by Yuurei

"Get back! More are coming!" Yuu would say, readying her blade once more. Sai would nearly jump out of her skin at the command of being told to get back, but when she realized the oncoming hoard's approaching, she would not argue with Yuurei. Taking cover behind a tree, Sai would get a front row seat to watch a much more heated battle ensue.

Even if the fight wasn't necessarily difficult for Yuurei, she could only use so much energy. In fact, she would look up to her bar to realize that she had just used up the reserves on those two attacks. Gritting her teeth in annoyance at the attack that one would land, she just needed to be a punching back for Sai to regain her health get this final tusk. Once she had that, they could head back to town where it was safe for Sai and her to part ways.

image.thumb.png.40c41321a8c1efe77f2dd36e7412f098.png

Yuurei | HP: 178/180 | EN: 0/18 -(4)+1 | DMG: 5 | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Boar Pup 7: 5/5 | DMG: 3
Boar Pup 8: 5/5 | DMG: 3
Boar Pup 9: 5/5 | DMG: 3
Boar Pup 10: 5/5 | DMG: 3

Edited by Yuurei

Despite everything she's gone through, killing an entire pack of boars, she was actually surprised that she hadn't taken more damage then she had. Though, to be fair, she was properly equipped for such an escapade. Another gleam of her otherworldly katana would signal the passing of life and death once more. The boar would transcend back into data where it would surely respawn in about five minutes or so. That, however, left one more boar to deal with.

It wasn't having much of a better time than any of the other boars that had attempted to fight with her. It carelessly swiped against her, doing absolutely nothing to her health bar in the process. She would turn back to Sai quickly, to ensure that she was fine. Meanwhile, the girl behind the tree was simply in awe of her fight with the boars. How she could look upon this with amazement was beyond her. Yet it made her smile.

image.thumb.png.54b699670f20ebff507b4be4d3924abc.pngimage.thumb.png.64c04d468b0c04b6b0a75597f3740c2b.png

Yuurei | HP: 177/180 | EN: 0/18 -(1)+1 | DMG: 5 | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Boar Pup 7: 5/5 | DMG: 3

Edited by Yuurei

The game seemed to be giving her a break, but it wasn't going to last very long. All those successful hits would stop the moment that she was face to face with one single boar. She was already annoyed enough that this boar would make the double digits in kill ratio, yet she still had not gotten the final tusk that she needed for her quest. Was she going to be stuck here forever until the boars landed 176 more attacks on her and she met a cruel fate with destiny more shameful than probably anyone else in this game?

Nah that wouldn't happen. Though the boar would scratch her leg through the armor this time, which was annoying but inevitable. Her health would be down by about 2% or so now? A sarcastic thought crossed her mind about how fleeing might be reasonable, though she quickly laughed that one off.

image.thumb.png.d0d29fb13f7212d3a668eb7c16e1ceec.png

Yuurei | HP: 176/180 | EN: 0/18 -(1)+1 | DMG: 5 (+2) | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Edited by Yuurei

Was this a taunt to her pride? The girl made another swing, that was three in a row now. This boar was really going to feel her might wrath of Heavy Momentum when she finally landed her attack. 10,000F degree knife against butter anyone?

Even though Yuu's attack would be less successful than the boar's was and it would land a critical on her, she was hardly perturbed. Sai was watching this all, seeing the critical strike hit her savior, she called out in a panic. "B-Be careful! Don't get hurt because of me please!" She would plea to the silver haired samurai. Yuu's jade eye's pierced through the cloud of her hair. "I'm fine. These little things could only endanger someone who's unarmed." The girl would say, carefully trying not to make Sai feel bad. The feeling of having someone concerned for you was a weird one. Why did she appreciate it, yet hate it all at once?

image.thumb.png.d65a6f81ba143cfc7de2cba10727550a.png

Yuurei | HP: 175/180 | EN: 0/18 -(1)+1 | DMG: 5 (+2) | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Edited by Yuurei

Getting tired of these shenanigans, the Emerald Spirit raised her blade once more and tore through her opponent with a cut so clean the enemy was cleaved in half. A moment passed as the boar digitized back into the ether. Much to her relief, it would leave behind exactly what she needed, it's ivory tusk. The samurai would quickly scoop up the item and place it in her inventory for later. Seemingly sure that it was safe now, Sai would escape her safe haven and meet up with Yuu again.

"I-I'm glad you're alright. I definitely wouldn't have been fine without you here to help, but I dunno if I could've had a clean conscience if someone died trying to protect me." The girl would put rather plainly. Yuu would simply shake her head. "I helped because I was here in the moment. It's pretty difficult to ignore someone getting attacked right in front of you."

image.thumb.png.617ae58458efd242146d473fe772af91.png

Yuurei | HP: 175/180 | EN: 0/18 -(1)+1 | DMG: 5 (+2) | MIT: 18 | H.M.: 2 | REC: 2

Edited by Yuurei

Without really speaking it, the two would start to make their way back to town. It would be best to get Sai back to the safe zone and make sure that she's informed that she should properly equip before leaving it next time. "Thank you." The girl would tell the ghost. Yuu shrugged for the second time. "Anyone would have done the same thing I did, I'm sure. I don't really feel like I deserve recognition for something like that."

"B-But..." Sai would trail off. "A-Alright, well, I can still be glad that you're a pretty nice person. I think anyone else probably would have called me helpless and left behind or something to find my back on my own."

"I'm not that heartless, but you should really get your friends to help you and actually get some gear to help you fight." The Emerald Spirit would say, throwing her hands behind her head and relaxing a bit, waiting for her energy and health to return to full.

"I... don't really have any friends in the game." Sai would say. Yuu would shrink a little at that, feeling her pain. So, the both of them were completely alone here. Another mere coincidence? Probably not. "I... apologize. I had no idea..." Yuu would say quietly as she thought about what she should do next. After a moment of contemplation, and a pass into the safe zone, Yuu would make her decision. Opening her friends list, she would send the girl a friend request. "Accept that, and I'll make sure you don't go getting yourself hurt then."

"I-I don't think I earned that-!" Sai would say before catching Yuu's stern glare. It looked like she wasn't going to take no for an answer. She would quickly accept. "Good. Now, I have to do one thing, then let's get you some gear."

Finally, this stupid quest was finished and Yuu could let out a breath of fresh air. when she returned to the blacksmith who had initially sent her on the quest, she wasn't surprised to find out that he wanted her to do something else for him. She was completely down to do more questing, but first she would have to help Sai find some armor and a decent enough weapon to at least protect herself on this floor.

Her next mission, after everything with Sai was settled, was to find a woman out of the safe zone who was supposedly a jeweler. It was to be another simple delivery, and if she had to guess, when she met this woman, she totally wouldn't ask her to do something for her in return for a reward or something. They wouldn't repeat the same quest... twice would they? Nooooo. Well, only one way to find out.

Spoiler

Rewards:

SP: 1 Page; 2 quest; 1 Bonus
Col: 400