[PP-04] The Night's King and Other Goopy Shadow-Thingies

The journey north from Mari's home to Snowfrost Town had been relatively uneventful, and both of them had been content to enjoy the scenery in silence.  Enough words had been spilled to last them both for a while, and this was meant to be a more light-hearted excursion, giving each a chance to cut loose without some overwhelming existential threat looming - for a change.

Freyd's contacts had pinpointed the location of Joramun, the quest-giver, in a local tavern that was aptly named the 'Long Barrow.'  The man wasn't much to look at, having more eyes than teeth, and his breath... urgh.  He regaled them with the tale of the Night's King - a legendary undead monarch who plagued these lands.  Freyd, for his part, had ordered a platter of chips and was busily snacking on them with a small assortment of other goodies while he soaked in the details.  

"Wow... that was... epic," Freyd feigned with over-wide and exaggerated eyes from beneath his nodding cowl.  "I'm certain that we can help you out, and am dreadfully sorry to hear about your wife. I'm sure she as lovely.  Err... here.  Have a chip."

Returning to their pre-arranged meeting point outside of the settlement, he shared the quest with Mari and confirmed that the details were as anticipated.  "Lich-King type dude in you typical, cliche ice fortress to the north.  Gotta get through his guards and take him down.  Pretty standard.  He packs a bit of a punch though, but shouldn't last long against the two of us.."

@Mari

Freyd Consumes:

Red Velvet Meringue (EVA 2) [163934]

Jar of Reaper Peppers (T3 MIT 2) [161883]  - Filled.

Max Level Courage (T3 OH 3) [166169]

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1205/1205 | EN:104/104 | DMG:19 | MIT:114 | EVA:4 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | BLD:36 | BH:21

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 52
HP: 1205/1205 (incl. +135)
EN: 104/104

Stats:
Damage: 19
Mitigation: 79 + 35 = 114
Evasion: 2 + 2 = 4
Accuracy: 4
BH:21
KEEN:1
HLY:6
BLD:36

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Grief's Harbinger (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, HOLY 1, BLD 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb [T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1]
Misc: Assassin's Cowl (T2-Trinket, ACC 2, KEEN 1)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 3]
Battle Healing [Rank 2]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival

Mods:
Precision
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity
LA Sprint and Acrobatics

Battle Ready Inventory:
Starter Healing Potion (50 hp)*3
Teleport Crystals*2
Crystal of Support (30*tier) hp to party*1
Missing You*2
Concentrated Joy (T3 Vitality 2)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

This was easier. It wasn't the two of them cooped up in her home talking about insecurities and vulnerabilities. Things Mari would rather not focus on. Instead; a quest was proposed and Mari all too willingly agreed. She wanted a distraction. And with the floor boss fight looming ever closer - it'd be good to grasp any last minute experience. Not that she felt she needed it. She already had a surplus of SP - but in a world where numbers ruled, every extra mattered.

Mari sat amongst the snow - against a tree. Back to her usual attire, she looked like a flame, flickering and burning strong against a world of sheer cold white. "What have I gotten myself into now?" Mari asked herself as she shut her eyes. She wasn't going to go back on what she promised. But...Freyd was proving to be a little more difficult to manage than she first thought. He noticed things she didn't want others to see. Mari told herself she'd have to be careful around him.

Lich-King type dude in you typical, cliche ice fortress to the north. 

Mari opened her eyes at the sound of the voice. Speak of the devil. "Well, good thing I've got my flame armour." Mari said as she stood, stretching. "Can't be any worse than what we've already faced. Right?"

@Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Consimed the following
T3 | Super Sight Miso Ramen :  +2 ACC
Super Speed Shoyu Ramen : +2 EVA
Super Armor Miso Ramen: +45 MIT 
Super Health Miso Ramen: +[135] Overhealth

Spoiler

General
Level: 77 | HP: 1570  |Energy: 154

BATTLE COPY
Mari    [H:0/0/0] - HP 1625/1625  | EN: 146/146 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 88 | EVA:5 | ACC: 6  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
-Weapon Mod: Ferocity (+1 DMG)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)
Light Armor Mod Athletics -  Gain +1 base damage and +30 HP when wearing light armor
SURVIVAL
Rank 5 Battle Healing (5% of total health rounded down start of each turn)
Familiar Mastery Expert - +1 (*Tier) Damage - +9 Damage
Extended Mod Limit Rank 3 (+3 Mods)
First Aid: Cost 5% in EN Heal 4% per rank of a target party member’s maximum HP (rounded down). Cannot target the user.
Field Medic Mod: 12 En + 3 En per player:  heal for 20% of each party members maximum HP

EQUIPPED
Name: 
Bleeding Lance| Item Type: 2H Assault Spear Tier 3
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Damage 1
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'
'Burn Damage' of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10 - Unmitigated

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking enemy.

Edited by Mari

If Mari was the flame, Freyd fit the part of the soot and ash that followed.  Dressed in black travelling clothes and fitted leather armor, his charcoal-coloured hood fluttered in the wind but never faltered or fell.  His 'mask' was on again - the one he presented to the world.  It was a changeable thing, adapting to whatever circumstances he encountered, but Freyd was keenly aware that he had left loose threads in his wake.  It was something he meticulously avoided, until now.  'Think of it as a safety line,' he told himself, uncertain that the risk he'd taken was worthwhile.  The small shred of humanity that had concocted this whole scheme was still in the dog house with the rest of his colder, more pragmatic self.

He chuckled at her effort to lighten the mood.  "I really would have thought you'd have learned never to say that kind of thing out loud." 

It was obvious that he'd rattled her a bit during their recent conversations.  Good.  Shaking things up forced change, and she couldn't stay stuck where she was indefinitely.  She was surely thinking that a stress-relieving quest would make things easier, and bury her lingering thoughts.  Freyd had other plans.  He just hoped that they were worth the risk.

The ice fortress hung off the face of a nearby glacier-topped peak, barely visible in the clouds.  Picking a reasonable line of travel, they grudgingly began the ascent.  Pale winter light and the ever-present snowfall hampered their progress.  Picking up the pace a little, he moved to Mari's side, keeping his hood low as if to block the weather.

"We're not alone.  There are figures in the snow, following us, but I can't make them out.  Be ready."

"Whaaat?" Mari sounded annoyed and exasperated. "You know...you think I'd be used to people following me." Mari added with a drawn out sigh as she fruitlessly pushed her fringe out of her face. It was normal for something or someone to be tailing her, but they usually left well enough alone, especially on this floor. So hearing it was a little surprising.They were walking side by side now, crunched footsteps leaving a trail in the now. Mari didn't realize how much taller Freyd was compared to her - practically an entire head. It shouldn't be - just as much as he shocked her with his age, Mari probably did the same to others. She was short - and rash. The main telltale signs of age being her figure. "I never learn, not really." Mari added with a grin. Trying to keep the banter light.

"So...." Mari turned to glance over her shoulder. Being not anywhere near as stealthy as Freyd- she didn't care if their pursuers knew she was onto them.  "Wanna take a bet on whats followin' us? People after the notorious Pink PKer - or your goop friends?"

"Pink PKer?  I thought your thing was orange.  How does that work?"

The answer would have to wait.  Four sickly-pale looking creatures emerged from the surrounding storm, eager for a taste of living flesh.  Freyd ran toward the nearest foe, using the snowy terrain to his advantage and crouching into a low slide that turned into a vicious upward slash, that shattered the first wight into a thousand tiny fragments.

"Get'em Persi!" Freyd called, to no one in particular.

Using the momentum of his strike to spin him around, the roiling blackness that lingered over his blade launched itself towards two of their remaining assailants.  A pair of brilliant blue eyes opened as the living shadow streaked across the distance, flensing both targets in turn.  They collapsed into the drifting snow as the dark thing coalesced into a small cat-like shape and hovered on the surface of drifting powder as if it weighed no more than it's appearance would suggest.

"Don't worry.  This particular goop's with me.  Mari, Behind you!"

Spoiler

image.png

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1205/1205 | EN:90/104 | DMG:19 | MIT:114 | EVA:4 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | BLD:36 | BH:21

Mari | HP 1625/1625  | EN: 146/146 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 88 | EVA:5 | ACC: 6  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

Calamity Disaster (x12 AoE + 6 for hits): 18 EN - (Rested, Finesse 3) = 14 EN

BD: 2 + 4 = 6 (hit).  Freyd deals (228 – 25 = 203) damage to Frost Wight #1.  
BD: 6 + 4 = 10 (hit).  Freyd deals (228 – 25 = 203) damage to Frost Wight #2.  
BD: 7 + 4 = 11 (hit).  Freyd deals (228 – 25 = 203) damage to Frost Wight #3.  
BD: 1 (miss).  Freyd misses Frost Wight #4.

[H:0,0] Frost Wight #1| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 203)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #2| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 203)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #3| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 203)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #4| HP: 100/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10)

It was neither. Mari almost forgot that they were on a quest - and that yanno...regular mobs were a thing. She felt a little frustrated that she forgot such a simple thing. "You know..." Mari said as she pulled out her spear - "I don't usually go hunting mobs. Despite being such a high level - I just..." Mari sighed. She didn't want to explain to Freyd that she found battling tiring. She'd rather live as normal a life as possible - and fighting crystal dragons and behemoths didn't really fit in with that. She supposed she never could go back to 'normal' not now.

"Sooo...." Mari stared at the glob on the ground. "You got a cat familiar but its made out of the junk you scrape off the top of a fish tank?" It sounded harsher than Mari intended. She blinked. "Sh*t. I mean- Ugh." She didn't have time to apologize. First, the enemy. Apologies later.

Mari grit her teeth and charged toward the final Frost Wight - long spindly appendages- the thing could barely stand. Easy pickings. Mari exhaled, her brows furrowed as she  focused on the enemy. She didn't want to falter now - not in front of someone as dangerous as Freyd. So forward she went - booted feet crunching against the snow beneath. Mari approached the Frost Wight - stopping just a few metres away from it. She swung her spear forward and shattered it in one fell swoop.

"There."

Mari stood slowly, the remnants of the beast falling like tiny crystals, gently shimmering in the afternoon light that broke through the tree lined path. 

"Suppose we both lost the bet, eh?"

Mari | HP 1625/1625  | EN: 146/146 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 88 | EVA:5 | ACC: 6  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

Action: [x9 AoE] Weeping Moon (9 Energy +2 per target hit) - Do a single and powerful 360-degree spin
19 x 9 = 171

Mari
BD: 1 (miss).  Freyd misses Frost Wight #4.
ID:167746  BD:9 CRITICAL!
20 x 9=180-25=155

[H:0,0] Frost Wight #1| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 203)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #2| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 203)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #3| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 203)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #4| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) 180-25= 155

Freyd choked on Mari's description of Persi as fish tank scrapings, half wondering if his familiar would pounce on the woman's head and start mauling her.  Persi, instead, ignored the comments completely and buried herself in the snow.  She started running around creating barely perceivable little ruts in the white surface, like some sort of bizarre Looney Tunes character, her head and eyes bobbing up every few meters to find her bearings.

"Mongoose," Freyd said, by way of explanation.  "Those fish-tank scraping are a mongoose, or at least something that happens to prefer that shape.  And she goes by 'Persi', if it matters.  She and I... found each other, on a recommendation from a friend."  He left it at that, not expecting that Mari cared or wanted to know the details.   "Mind yourself.  They are related to felines and share some of their habits... like chasing dots of light on the floor and walls."  He looked over her flaming outfit, wondering how that was going to work out.

"Suppose we both lost the bet, eh?"

"Yeah.  I guess so.  There are also bound to be more between here and the prize."  His head was turning to and fro, searching the surroundings for signs of any more.  "So... you were going to explain the 'Pink PKer' thing?  I just don't see it."

Mari knealt down in the snow. "Ah. Mongoose." Mari leaned forward on her knees, crouching down in the snow. "S-sorry...by the way." Mari didn't need to explain what it was for. She had essentially called his familiar pond scum. Not many would take too kindly to that. "I forget..." Mari said with a small sigh as she clicked her fingers - summoning her own familiar. "That people are attached to their familiars. That they create meaningful bonds with them. So what I said was insensitive." 

Mari's familiar - Kohaku- was just that. A Kohaku koi fish. A white fish with smatterings of red splattered all over its body. The large fish swam slowly around Mari as though the air were gentle river currents. "Say whatever you want about mine." Mari added with a lop-sided grin toward Freyd. "I get it-" She reached out her hand, and Kohaku gently swam underneath it- strangly enough the fish seemed to compliment her perfectly. "A floating fish is kinda ridiculous." 

Mari pulled her hand in as Freyd asked her about the Pink Pker issue. "I...He really had no idea.  "You really- don't know?" Mari shook her head with  a bitter laugh. "Gods...is it bad I'm kinda happy to hear that? The Pink Pker - once the strongest player to walk Aincrad. The most feared." Mari stood slowly, brushing wet snow off her clothing. "Some called her the mad alchemist. Many, a monster - but...I'd have preferred it if they just called me Mari. Just Mari."

Freyd took two steps closer to her and knelt down to inspect the floating fish, holding a finger out as it brushed by his hand.  "Clever.  I like it.  And, it suits you."  Her comments about Persi were already forgotten.  Insults just seemed to slip off his back, regardless of whether they were deliberate.  The man had an incredibly thick skin, or maybe he was just too dense.

He stood, now barely a foot away from her.  "Mad alchemist, eh?  I seem to recall someone mentioning something to me about chemistry used to alter and control minds.  Things... getting out of hand."  His eyes searched hers, confirming what she was silently admitting.  Then, he simply arched an eyebrow and pursed his lips, as if he'd come to some conclusion.  "Alrighty then.  Let's keep going before I decide to start man-handling that outfit just to keep warm."  Without another word, and only the barest hint of a smile, he turned and started up the hill again.  Who the hell was he to judge?  He meant the advice that he had given her before: leave the past behind.  The same answer applied to his own problems.  You choose who you want to be instead of being who you used to be.  How could Mari accept that if he didn't accept it himself?  'Fair point,' he agreed... with himself.

The climb grew steeper and more treacherous as they approached the peak, twisting around nearly 180 degrees over a series of ice-covered stony spans barely wide enough for a horse, and far too dangerous for one.  The winds picked up and stung the eyes and skin as gently falling snow turned to ripping hail.  Finally, the fortress gates loomed before them, the portcullis having long since rotted and broken away.  More of the undead creatures could be seen milling aimlessly in the courtyard beyond, their glowing red eyes shining like angry Rudolph noses in the sleet.

Finding shelter beneath a rocky overhand, Freyd helped Mari get her footing and climb out of the storm's wrath.  He pointed towards their next obstacle.  "Their boss won't likely be far behind.  This keep is not that large." 

"Excuse me?" Mari exclaimed loudly as she took a large step back from Freyd. Cheeks red. "Just what the hell are you implying?" Did he really mean Her outfit? Mari was wearing shorts - and a sleeveless form fitting overall. The only warm thing about her outfit was her black scarf - and perhaps the leather harness - which had cracks within it - ones that glowed gently as though magma flowed beneath the leathery surface. "You'd have better luck jumpin' into the frozen lake." Mari said with a scoff as she turned away from him. Starting to stomp in a direction - not even sure if it was the right way. 

Definitely dangerous. Who'd make such a comment after someone admits they used to be the most wanted PKer? Someone who had far too many screws loose. Far too many. 

Freyd followed suit- and if Mari didn't know any better she swore she could hear him chuckling under his breath. If they weren't doing a quest together Mari would have half a mind to shove him face first into the snow and high  tail it outta there. But that'd do no one any good. 

"Good. Let's just kill it and get outta here." 

She was definitely amusing to prod, and so easy to provoke.  She could kill you in a heartbeat, dumbass.  He considered that, for an instant, then shook it off as irrelevant.

'Exposure therapy it is, then' he declared silently, chuckling maniacally inside his head.

Surveying the treacherous gap between their shelter and the enemy on the far side, Freyd came to a simple conclusion.

"It's in cases like this that I ask myself: what would Oscar do?"  Grinning, he added, "Probably something like this."

Taking a running leap Freyd flew over the chasm, landing on one of the wights and piercing its head with his blade, which he then used as a rudder to bank into the nearest adjacent foe.  Both burst into ash-like motes as Grief's Harbinger swung around cleaved a third wight in half, causing its withered corpse to further desiccate and crumble to dust.  The last had apparently knelt to tied its shoe laces or something, in an amazing act of foresight, and Freyd's blade sang past just over its head.

"Are you coming, or what?"  He yelled back at Mari, then pointing at the confused-looking undead, added: "I saved you one!"

Vanity Tag: @Oscar

Spoiler

image.png

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1205/1205 | EN:94/104 | DMG:19 | MIT:114 | EVA:4 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | BLD:36 | BH:21

Tempest (x8 AoE + 6 for hits): 14 EN - (Rested, Finesse 3) = 10 EN

BD: 10 (Crit +2, Holy 6, Bleed 36).  Freyd deals (216 – 25 = 191 + 36 bleed = 227) damage to Frost Wight #5.  
BD: 9 (Crit +1, Holy 6, Bleed 36).  Freyd deals (208 – 25 = 183 +36 bleed = 219) damage to Frost Wight #6.  
BD: 9 (Crit +1, Holy 6, Bleed 36).  Freyd deals (208 – 25 = 183 +36 bleed = 219) damage to Frost Wight #7.  
BD: 1 (miss).  Freyd misses Frost Wight #8.

[H:0,0] Frost Wight #5| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 227)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #6| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 219)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #7| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 219)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #8| HP: 100/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10)

Before Mari could say anything Freyd mentioned something about Oscar. "Ahh -look he's a super capable guy but I don't think you -" She paused as he jumped down. "Should...do...that..." Mari said with a sigh as she rubbed her left temple. "Dammit... at least he's not petting the damn things." Mari was briefly reminded of the Nemean Lion quest; and how someone who couldn't be any more than level 5 joined them because Oscar thought it was fine.  Both her and Yuki were in danger that day. The two recklessly throwing themselves in the line of danger.

Mari crossed her arms over her chest. Staring down at Freyd as he fought.
"Hmmph." She then sat down, cross legged. "You do it." She called out after him. Refusing to budge. "Since you're oh so capable." She was clearly pouting. But her body was tensed in a way that if Freyd was in any real danger - she'd be ready to leap up.

The Frost Wight roared, and with what looked like a very hard blow, hit Freyd across his chest, sending him back several feet. Mari shifted to move till she saw his HP bar - it had moved just a sliver.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | 
HP:1149/1205 | EN:94/104 | DMG:19 | MIT:114 | EVA:4 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | BLD:36 | BH:21 - 56 DAM
Mari | HP 1625/1625  | EN: 137/146 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 88 | EVA:5 | ACC: 6  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |-2 EN

Action: [x9 AoE] Weeping Moon (9 Energy +2 per target hit) - Do a single and powerful 360-degree spin
19 x 9 = 171

BD:167763   BD:1 MISS
ID" 167764  Mob:9 HIT > Freyd  170 -114=56

[H:0,0] Frost Wight #5| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 227)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #6| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 219)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #7| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 – 219)
[H:0,0] Frost Wight #8| HP: 100/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10)

Edited by Mari

Freyd gave Mari a grimace.  She kept reminding him that she was older, yet kept acting like a child.  He barely felt the wight's blow, though it slid him back a few steps like he was on ice skates.  Looking down at the gash in his chest, Freyd was pleased to see the battle healing kicking in.  It was still a novel sensation.  The wight, for its part, seemed completely confused by his cavalier attitude to being struck.

"Women!  Am I right?"  The mob actually looked like it was about to respond when Grief's Harbinger plunged through its face and out the back of its head.

Sigh

"Pretty sure it's safe now!"  He called back over, taunting her.  "The big strong janitor cleared out the trash while you had your little huff," he added under his breath.  This was clearly going to take some patience.  He stowed his ire, knowing full well that this was what he'd signed up for.

While he waited for Mari to make up her mind, he wandered over to the main gates of the keep.  They were remarkably still intact given the state of repair of the rest of the keep, which suggested some significance.  The heavy stone doors were carved in relief and accentuated with an unusual silver filigree that was difficult to spot at a glance.  Each door seemed to depict a figure.  The one on the left was clearly the Night's King, standing in harsh, stoic judgement and sovereign over his domain.  The other had weathered badly, but seemed to show another figure bathed in the sun's light, standing in contrast to the king.  Freyd's eyes darted immediately back to a statue in the small courtyard, of a woman and a small child crouching over a fountain, long since frozen over.  The puzzle pieces suddenly clicked.

"Oh, ...crap."

Spoiler

image.png

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1170/1205 (+21) | EN:92/104 | DMG:19 | MIT:114 | EVA:4 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | BLD:36 | BH:21 
Mari | HP 1625/1625  | EN: 137/146 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 88 | EVA:5 | ACC: 6  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 

Astral Hell (x7) = 7 EN - (Rested, Finesse 3, Turn Recovery) = 2 EN

BD: 6 + 4 = 10 (hit).  Freyd deals (133 – 25 = 108) damage to Frost Wight #8.  

[H:0,0] Frost Wight #8| HP: 0/100 | MIT: 25 | DMG: 120 (Crit: +50 on 9: +60 on 10) (100 - 108)

Battle healing: Freyd recovers 21 HP.

Mari could tell he was giving her some sort of look. It probably wasn't a pleasant one, but could she blame him? She had just sat down in a huff, in the middle of a battle. Inside an ice strewn castle. Where a strong and unpredictable boss lurked nearby. Mari swallowed. The more she thought about it, the more ridiculous she seemed. He'd probably not want anything to do with her after this.

But wasn't that the intention? To annoy him enough to push him away?

If so. It was working. So why did she have this feeling in the pit of her stomach. It gnawed at her much like she gnawed at her cheek. He finished off the frosty creature without too much of a worry. That - was good. Right? Right. "Right." Mari said, voicing her inner thoughts. Every part of Mari screamed at her to stand. To just approach him and continue the quest as they should. Yet her legs remained resolutely folded. 

Mari slowly and silently pushed herself  to her feet. If he asked, perhaps she'd pretend like it didn't happen. Or maybe she'd tell him she was testing him. Mari doubted she could tell him the truth- which was that he was kinda getting under her skin, and she didn't like that.

"What's slowed you....down." Mari had started to ask the question but stopped when she saw the statue Freyd was staring at. Her mood instantly dropped. Of course it had to be something like that. A sweet mother and child. Mari tightened the grip on her polearm. "We should hurry." Mari muttered quietly. She didn't want to be here anymore. 

Passive+1 En
Mari | HP 1625/1625  | EN: 138/146 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 88 | EVA:5 | ACC: 6  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

His analytical side really wanted to push.  It was so bad that his jaw was clenching to keep the questions from blurting out, but he also knew that it would be a step too far.  She wasn't ready yet.  Completely glossing over her lack of involvement during the last battle, Freyd walked back over to the grand doorway, deliberately placing himself on the left door.  The Night King's door.  Heaving against it, he was surprised to find that it swung open with ease.  The hinges barely squealed as the massive slab of stone moved smoothly out of the their way.  Inside, the keep reminded him of a nordic style hall, with a high throne at the far end.  It only needed a table strewn with half-eaten meat, gnawed bones and several flagons of dark stout in order to complete the scene.  But mirth wasn't meant to be part of this setting; only sorrow.

The Night's King was already standing upon the low dais, watching them enter with his piercing red eyes.  The gleaming axe in his hands reflected the narrow beams of moonlight that drifted into the the hall through gaps in the thatched roof.  A second throne sat vacant at his side, his lady no longer there to restrain his depravities.  'Damn,' Freyd cursed, internally.  'Why doesn't anyone pay attention to these details when they write their quest reports?'

He spoke briefly as he moved past her, intending to end this as swiftly as possible.  "I'm sorry, Mari.  I didn't know."

"Shit... this thing could practically be me.. if I didn't shave for a decade.  Stupid goopy Gemini..."

Freyd stormed forward, and angry cloud of black energy gathering around Grief's Harbinger with every step he took.  Through gritted teeth, he laid his challenge bare before the King.

"This sword was made in the image of Redemption's blade, your majesty.  May it have mercy on your soul." 

And mine...

Spoiler

image.png

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1170/1205 (+21) | EN:83/104 (-9) | DMG:19 (Capped at 12) | MIT:114 | EVA:4 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | BLD:36 | BH:21 
Mari | HP 1625/1625  | EN: 138/146 | DMG: 19  (Capped at 12) | MIT: 88 | EVA:5 | ACC: 6  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 

Galaxy Destroyer (x13): 13 EN - (Rested, Finesse 3) = 9 EN

BD: 9 (Crit +1, Holy +6, Bleed 36).  Freyd deals (20*13 - 50 = 210, +36 bleed = 246) damage to The Night's King.

[H: 2, 0] The Night's King | HP: 204/450 | MIT: 50 | DMG 300 (Crit 9: +85, Crit 10: +100)  (450 - 246)

«Weaken Area» (Passive)
Players facing the Night's King within his throne room receive a variable debuff to their base damage. If their base damage is above 12, it will automatically be reduced to 12. If their base damage is below 12, no change will occur. The bonus damage from Charge and consumables is nullified as well, although the effects of the Charge's mods are not.

"I'm sorry, Mari.  I didn't know."

"Pfft-hahahaha."  The abrupt laugh bounced around the room, echoing around them - highlighting just how cold the forced sound really was. "Freyd. Takeshi - what ya apologizin' for?" Mari gave him a hearty slap on the back. Perhaps a little too hard. "I'm just bothered by big ass things." It wasn't a lie. So Mari felt okay saying it. She could take a guess that he would know she was putting on a front. Especially with how quickly and abruptly she had switched it on. But she knew that he wouldn't ask at a time like this. 

Mari's gaze shifted back to the statue briefly. She wondered, was the king capable of missing his family? Even though he was data? "I suppose it wasn't very ice of him to leave all that food behind. If Mac were here he'd make a joke about eating it." Mari joked as she shifted attention to the table.  "Guess I can forgive him though." Mari said as she focused on his beady red eyes. Staring at them sent a shiver down her spine, "He's got a nice beard though." Mari added with a grin.

Her grin faded as he pushed past her, stalking up to the King with solemn words. Why did he do that? Come to think of it, didn't he have some strange summoning rite when he pulled his weapon out that other time? Did it need all the theatrics? Or were those to him, what puns were to her. Mari wordlessly darted forward - drawing her pole closer to the king - she rose it ready to attack and-

The Forgotten King lurched forward. Grabbing the hilt of the spear with one hand and drawing Mari closer with a quick jerk. The other grabbed Mari by her chin and effortlessly picked her up like she was a ragdoll. He held here there for a moment as though he were inspecting her, Mari stared defiantly down at him as she bought her legs up trying to wrench his gauntleted hand away.

Wordlessly, the King tossed Mari to the side. Mari was thrown against the empty thrown, her back bouncing off of it as she tumbled to the floor.

"NNng...." Mari glanced at her shoulders, her eyes traveled down her arms to her hands. Her extremities were covered in a thin layer of frost. It felt like it was slowing her down. Making movement hard. Weakening her more than it should. "Suppose that's what they meant by being weaker against it..." Mari muttered. 

"I'm fine." She called out to Freyd, getting up on one food then the other.

Freyd | HP:1170/1205 (+21) | EN:83/104 (-9) | DMG:19 (Capped at 12) | MIT:114 | EVA:4 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | BLD:36 | BH:21 
Mari | HP 1625/1625  | EN: 138/146 | DMG: 19  (Capped at 12) | MIT: 88 | EVA:5 | ACC: 6  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 

Mari ID:167768  BD:1 MISS      Mob: 5 - MISS

[x15] Dimension Stampede (17 Energy) - An attack with four fast stabs, only to be concluded by a jumping slam from above.

[H: 2, 0] The Night's King | HP: 204/450 | MIT: 50 | DMG 300 (Crit 9: +85, Crit 10: +100)  (450 - 246

«Weaken Area» (Passive)
Players facing the Night's King within his throne room receive a variable debuff to their base damage. If their base damage is above 12, it will automatically be reduced to 12. If their base damage is below 12, no change will occur. The bonus damage from Charge and consumables is nullified as well, although the effects of the Charge's mods are not

Edited by Mari

"NO!"  Freyd cried, unexpected rage flaring in his voice and eyes as he watched the king grasp and toss Mari aside.  From everything he'd heard and seen, she already felt discarded - worthless.  She put on a strong front, full of strength and defiance, but he what he saw was more fragile than she could likely admit to herself.  She wouldn't want pity, so his instincts went to the hollow in his core instead.

Dodging the Night's King's axe, he hoofed him in the chest with a swift kick.  The undead monarch collapsed backwards, crashing into his own chair with the heavy clang and clatter of metal on stone.  His axe skittered away, scraping loudly against the flagstone floor as it went, and leaving a trail of frost behind it.  Grabbing the king's neck in the same way as he had grabbed hers, Freyd felt the numbing chill spread up his arms, but ignored it.

"No one touches the lady unless she asks," Freyd hissed out between clenched teeth, his hood still covering most of his face.  A red glow emanated from beneath, but Mari couldn't tell if if was just reflecting from the king's eyes.  "See how you like it."

With surprising strength, he flung the monster fully over his head, smashing him with a resounding crash into the centre of the hall floor.  The impact of the blow shattered the surrounding flagstones and sent fragments of armor skittering in all directions.  The king's crown was among the scattered items, rolling on its edge before coming to a stop at Mari's feet.  Straightening to his full height, Freyd place the tip of his blade against the middle of the man's breastplate, then shoved it clear through and into the stone below.  

The airy gasp of a dying man's breath escaped the king's helm as his red eyes went dark and his form turned to glitter and dust.  Just as the mob shattered, Freyd drew his own deep breath and buried that rage back into its hollow, releasing it again as a soft, steady cloud of steam in the chill throne room air.

"So," he began, his voice quiet and calm again.  "Are you actually okay?"

Spoiler

image.png

Freyd | HP:1170/1205 (+21) | EN:83/104 (-9) | DMG:19 (Capped at 12) | MIT:114 | EVA:4 | ACC:4 | KEEN:1 | HLY:6 | BLD:36 | BH:21 
Mari | HP 1625/1625  | EN: 138/146 | DMG: 19  (Capped at 12) | MIT: 88 | EVA:5 | ACC: 6  | BH: 72 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 

Galaxy Destroyer (x13): 13 EN - (Rested, Finesse 3) = 9 EN

BD: 9 (Crit +1, Holy +6, Bleed 36).  Freyd deals (20*13 - 50 = 210, +36 bleed = 246) damage to The Night's King.

[H: 4, 0] The Night's King | HP: 0/450 | MIT: 50 | DMG 300 (Crit 9: +85, Crit 10: +100)  (204 - 246)

«Weaken Area» (Passive)

Players facing the Night's King within his throne room receive a variable debuff to their base damage. If their base damage is above 12, it will automatically be reduced to 12. If their base damage is below 12, no change will occur. The bonus damage from Charge and consumables is nullified as well, although the effects of the Charge's mods are not

The exclaimation was unexpected- Freyd's voice roared with an unbridled rage. Burning anger that destroys everything in its path. Freyd's aggression burned white hot and fast- and as quickly as it had come, it was gone. Pummeled straight into the Nights King - a boss that was supposed to be fearsome. Cleaned up by the self proclaimed janitor. Sh*t. 

"My ego's a lil' hurt." Mari said as she bent down to pick up the discarded crown. It had yet to disappear. Mari popped it on top of her head and pressed herself into the cold throne behind her, biting her tongue to stop the involuntary shiver of cold. "The lady wishes she could have done more." Mari said as she crossed one leg over the other. Was she okay? Mari felt a little rattled, but beyond that. She was fine. Mari's gaze shifted again to the statue. 

Yeh. She was fine. 

Mari closed her eyes and breathed in. Used to the cold. Used to the fact that her daughter was gone. Mari was about as fine as she could be. "What about you, Takeshi? You kinda..." Mari rolled her hand, still keeping her otherwise regal pose - even as the crown finally shattered into data. "Look like you snapped a bit there - was it the way the king threw me?" Mari asked. "I gotta admit. I don't really like seeing players being flung around and impaled either - but...it's not like he hurt me."

Freyd glanced at the throne he had just emptied, sitting vacant at her side.  He briefly considered sitting in it, but it wasn't his place.  Instead, he stood alone like a black statue in some strange film noir version of SAO, save Mari glowing orange's figure.  Maybe it was more like Sin City?  What did it matter?  Releasing the grip on his blade, it fell only to dissipate into wisps of shadow before it could hit the floor.

"You suggested that I had some control, and should use it.  I just took your advice."  He pulled back his cowl, the red in his eyes shining brightly in the strange light.  "The lady pulls her weight when as she sees fit," he mocked, playfully, recalling her decision before the gate.  "Besides, I recall a certain janitor face-planting before Skalaugh the Reaver.  Be glad you had the smaller audience."

He glanced back at the fountain and statues she had been watching.

"And not all injuries show up on a stat bar."  Wisps of snow were drifting through the open doorway behind him, dancing in the otherwise still air or in the currents that ran just above the floor.  The king was gone, but the cratered imprint created by his death still lingered.  Freyd was standing in it.

"What happened?"  It was an offer to listen, but only if she wanted to speak.

"I Happened."  All sense of jovial banter had left with her words - they spoke with a finality that would give Freyd no real answer.  There was a pause as her eyes shut. The seconds of silence grew to moments. The whispering noise of the winds being the only thing to break the stillness before Mari finally gave him something more. "You should look for the name Evelyn on the monument of life." 

The name felt foreign upon her lips. Her own damn daughter. It felt weird to say her name - because - Mari rarely spoke it. Rarely made mention of her. Even when poked and proded she at best gave brief snippets. 

"Come on." Mari said quietly as she slipped off the throne. "We should head back. I imagine it's getting pretty cold." Cold, like her words, her demeanor. Her lips, which were so quick to form into small smiles as she prattled on - quipping with witty comebacks was limp. Painted into a thing line. They silently left the creaking palace. Mari knew she had to do something - anything to break it.  To break out of that deafening prison - but...I'm too tired. What would Freyd say when he found out the truth? Would he call her a monster like so many others? Would he tell her it's okay, and that it wasn't her fault? Act like it didn't happen?

It wasn't till they were out of the palace - and the rustling of leaves gave way to gentle sing-songs of birds. And the methodical crunching of their feet were enough to snap Mari out of whatever stupor she had put herself in. "You know - you did show some pretty good control back there." Mari finally smiled. Weakly.

"Is it bad to say I liked seeing that? 'Cause you were emotional, and in the moment."

Edited by Mari