[PP|F21] The Confrontation

Hearing Mari’s admissions and realizations soothed Freyd’s simmering temper.  His was of a slow burning type, but recent events had begun to warrant a more direct response.  It was good to hear that Mari had realized her own patterns of behaviour.  Whether or not she could work through them remained to be seen.  Her presence here, now, was a big step.  In his mind, it confirmed the potential he had seen in her before this all began.  That opinion had never floundered.  He was proud of her for that, but it would sound patronizing to say so, and only trigger ChaseR further.  He’d find another way, another moment, to tell her down the road.

"I never said you were." Mari said cooly, quietly. "Nor do I think you are."

“Thank you for that,” Freyd replied softly. It actually fetl good to hear those words after all the bile he’d previously endured, and made the effort more worthwhile.  "You also know that I still believe in you.  Those gashes show how much you still care."  Turning to face ChaseR, his expression hardened once more.

“Chase, I’ve neither harboured you any ill will nor ever taken any action against you.  Whatever this is,” he gestured to all of him, indicating the outpouring of emotions that still raged within, “you need to get a grip on it.  If I can help you with that, I will, though I doubt you’ll have any desire to accept such an offer.”  He paused, before addressing the elephant in the cave.  His voice was stern

“That said, luring a formal ally into the dark depths on the pretense of discussion meant to veil your own desire for violence is unacceptable.”  Freyd raised an open palm to forestall the predictable defense.  “And if your intentions were purely noble, this could have been done in any number of open and safe locations.  You’re the one who chose the shadows, not me.   You’re the one who chose to bring the chains still wrapped around your hands, not me.  You’re the one who made your icon orange, not me.  I will have to speak to the other captains about this.  They have a right to know.  There may be consequences.” 

He turned to depart, but hesitated upon considering Mari’s condition.

“It’s a long way home, for you.  I can walk with you, if you want.  There is a place I know along the way where you could safely rest.  But I can also appreciate that you may want your space.”  He’d considered sending the offer separately after they parted ways, but ChaseR needed to hear it and realize that he didn’t control her like some temperamental child clinging possessively to its mother.

Even without sounding offensive or condescending to Mari, Freyd still managed to trigger him all the same. On the verge of passing out, he still slowly pulled back from Mari and stumbled to get on his two feet, glaring at Freyd with the same burning hatred as before. "... You're lying through your damn teeth, you snake.", he barely didn't snarl, starting to clench his fists again in an all too familiar way- however, unlike before, he wasn't ready to lunge at Freyd. He had a more than good enough reason not to, this time. "If you didn't try to set me off further, we wouldn't be this way right now. Don't try to claim the moral high ground."

He struggled to even speak clearly by this point, holding back growls and sharp breaths with everything he had. His body was trying to do exactly that even more than he himself was, out of the sole mental exhaustion he'd gone through. "Go back to your guild to justify yourself and pin it all on me, 'gentleman'. Tell them I'll do the same anytime if that fits your narrative better. I'll take care of Mari.", he mustered as he defensively stood in front of Mari, with one hand in front of her as if to stop Freyd from making his way to her, and the other near his pocket.

He looked over his shoulder at her, giving a weakened smile in an attempt to reassure her. "He's lying to you. I won't let him.", he whispered to Mari as his own breathing became more faint and heavy, but the bluehead tried to hold back all signs of weakness, turning his head to glare at Freyd again. 

@Mari @Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Edited by ChaseR

Somehow, in the turbulent whirlwinds around them, Mari had managed to not only placate and calm Chaser - (well, his anger at least) but also Freyd.  Maybe in that aspect, Freyd was right, she did have a way with people - although that way was slowly stripping more and more of herself away. But Mari found herself no longer caring about that. The others were...okay. For now at least.  Freyd pointed out the gashes on her chest, and how her HP had been depleted by a third - stating that they were some sort of badge - saying she cared - and in part, Mari did, she just wanted what was best for everyone else. To not have anyone else endure what she had, what she felt.

"I think you've said enough, Freyd. It'd be in everyone's best interests if you stepped away." Mari said evenly. She knew he meant well - but even the most well meaning words would sour over those who were emotionally vulnerable, and right now that was Chaser. "I appreciate the offer, but I'll be fine on my own."  It wasn't like she'd be walking back anytime soon. She had broken her oath, one of her very moral codes that day. For Chaser. To ensure he was safe. To ensure he hadn't done anything stupid, and he almost had.

Chaser had taken the defensive. Stating  that he'd 'protect' her. Mari bit her tongue. She didn't need it, if anything, Chaser's actions were a hindrance. The way he helplessly would latch onto her, ignore her own wishes for distance - crying and sobbing, and throwing all his weighted sorrows onto her shoulders. But if she said anything...it'd make her a bad person. Chaser didn't need someone to chastise him for that, didn't need someone to tell him to back off. He needed someone who would shoulder it all, and who would listen. And Mari would willingly be that person for him.

"Chase..." Mari placed a hand on the mid of his back, and gave it a gentle and soothing rub. Like a mother consoling her child. "I appreciate the defense, and I know Freyd no doubt did say things that would be antagonistic." Mari doubted Freyd would see it the same way. "But this anger..." She paused as she touched his shaking fist with her free hand. It worried her, how quick Chaser was to anger, was there something else underlining beneath that mop of azure hair? Or was it simply teenage hormones? Cracks were forming, and they needed to be stopped.  "It won't help anyone, and it'll only hurt you further. Here..." She gestured toward the tall spiral in the distance - the staircase. "I'll take you to my home, the long way. Your orange crystal will disappear in a few days. I have a hot drink and a warm bed you can use."

Mari paused, she knew Chaser probably didn't want to hear anything to do with guilds, but the more she could offer him - the better. "And if his guild may cause issue for you, you'd always have a home in mine."

@ChaseR @Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows