[F5-PP] Bloodstained Pasts <<Bloodstained Land>>

Dry winds howled over the desert plains of the fifth floor with Life centered atop a lonely dune looking out over the vastness of nothingness. It ironically helped him feel not as alone, knowing that there was a place as empty as he felt inside. He wanted to feel as though he belonged again, he wanted to feel the sensation that he did so long ago when he fought side by side with comrades for freedom and liberty. But with so much chaos and negativity that festered in the minds of broken players it became a herculean task in itself just to find motivation to leave his comfort zone. He was here to complete a mission, a quest which was a sequel to the sand shark he had slain long ago. He wasn't sure what it meant the there were now new evolution of previous bosses popping up all over the place, or what it had to do with what that NPC had said to him when he left the forests after two years, but he felt that he would begin to find out. 

Things did seem different, and the passage of time definitely did not stop with him being gone for so long. He helped others get ahead but he himself could not move from where he was, as if stuck in the past. Life wasn't in a good place, but he was trying. He was really trying to keep moving forward. He wanted to see his father again, and he wanted the suffering of so many others to finally stop. He also wanted to prove to himself and to some he had hurt, that he was a good person. 

Life took a step forward, and continued his trek through the desert, perhaps this quest would bring him some clarity.

@Alkor @Mari

Edited by Life

"One more floor..." 

Mari muttered as she pushed her hair up and out of her face. The long, long LOONNNG trek down from the 24th floor was taking its toll on her; Mari was looking forward to collapsing in the snow - especially after the ungodly heat and dryness of the floor. "This floor is too f**king hot..." She mumbled. Times like this...Mari considered just saying 'f**k it' to those who would be scared of her in the towns, and just use the gates.  Still, despite her recent apathy to it all, Mari couldn't find it in her to do that to someone else.

She had been bending over backwards for everyone. All the time. Piece by piece she had been tearing herself apart to please and placate everyone - and Mari was sick and tired of it. Maybe it was because Freyd had ripped out her gemini-eske thing from her chest - maybe it was the crushing loneliness or the lack of sleep. Whatever it was - Mari just felt utterly exhausted. And wanted nothing more than to hole herself away in her cabin for a few days.

She just had to trek over this last dune then she'd be just another short half hour away from the staircase. But as she neared the apex of the sand she saw a figure. A familiar one. 

"Life...?" Mari drew to a stop, standing by him. "You know, it's not too smart wearing black on this floor." She chided with a half grin.

Seeing him...felt strange - the upset anger she harbored toward him felt like it had been ripped out - it probably had been, literally. What was one more person who needed her? Another piece to give. 

"You...don't look too good."

Spoiler

General
Level: 81 | HP: 1660 |Energy: 162

BATTLE COPY
Mari    [H:0/0/0] - HP 1610/1610  | EN: 158/158 | DMG: 19 | MIT: 43 | EVA:3 | ACC: 4  | BH: 83 | BRN: 24 |BLEED: 24 | FLAME AURA: 15 |

SKILLS
Rank 5 Weapon (+5 DMG)
-Weapon Mod: Precision (+1 ACC)
-Weapon Mod: Ferocity (+1 DMG)
Rank 5 Charge (+5 Damage -1 ACC)
Charge Mod BULL RUSH: Successful charge stuns target 1 turn
Rank 5 Light Armor (+25 MIT)
Light Armor Mod Athletics -  Gain +1 base damage and +30 HP when wearing light armor
SURVIVAL
Rank 5 Battle Healing (5% of total health rounded down start of each turn)
Familiar Mastery Expert - +1 (*Tier) Damage - +9 Damage
Extended Mod Limit Rank 3 (+3 Mods)
First Aid: Cost 5% in EN Heal 4% per rank of a target party member’s maximum HP (rounded down). Cannot target the user.
Field Medic Mod: 12 En + 3 En per player:  heal for 20% of each party members maximum HP

EQUIPPED
Name: 
Bleeding Lance| Item Type: 2H Assault Spear Tier 3
Enhancements: 
Bleed 2 | Damage 1
'Bleed Damage of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10'
'Burn Damage' of 24 for 2 turns on a roll of 8-10 - Unmitigated

Name: Beacon Necklace | Item Type: Pendant | Tier 2
Enhancements
  +3 ACC 

Name: 
Infernal Shadow | Item Type: Light Armour | Tier 3
Enhancements: 
 +2 Eva | +1 Flame Aura
'Effect: Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage per slot from successful attacks against you. Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (5 per slot * Tier) unmitigated burn damage to the attacking enemy.

@Life @Alkor

Edited by Mari

Life blinked away the sand granules blowing past his vision, an orange frame blended with the orange landscape and from is came a voice that shook him with apprehension. "Oh M-mari? I didn't think I'd find you In a desert of all places. I'm fine, just the heat, ya'know. It's good to see you, I hope you've been well." He grabbed at his side, waiting for the churning in his stomach to soon pass. Although they had kind of put aside their differences in the past, he couldn't help but shake the feeling that things were damaged between them.

He was taken aback, the comforting voice of his father playing in his mind, a piece of advice locked in a memory.  "You see this plant son? Do you see how its roots have begun to rot? The black spots dotting over it's leaves? The plant is dying from a fungus caused from over watering; and sometimes when a plant gets this sick it may take several years, but eventually it will die. Your only hope of survival, or rather to salvage the plant, is to cut a healthy branch, and plant it in new soil." 

If Life wanted to salvage their friendship, he needed to find a healthy cutting and plant it, then allow it to flourish. "I'm just going to be upfront with you Mari. Recently I've actually been wondering if you wanted to hang out and kill some time together. As dumb as that sounds, and I know you hate the heat here. Admittedly, as awkward as it was I enjoyed the last few quests we went on together." 

@Mari @Alkor

• 2 weeks later...

Mari nodded. "Mmm, Mmm.....normally I'd never be caught dead here - but I've been making my way back down from some of the higher floors. I plan to-" She paused. She had planned to rest, but doubted that was going to happen. "I had planned to return home for a day or two before the inevitable trek back up to one of the higher floors." Mari pushed her hair out of her face and sighed. "Honestly... A part of me wishes that we'd retain all those muscles here, back out there." She added with a wry smile on her face. Mari thought it funny, because she never expected to return to that world. 

"I hope you've been well."

"I suppose I have."

It felt weird to outright lie. Mari couldn't recall the last time she had done that to anyone, let alone someone she once considered her best friend. Mari told herself it was fine, because a lie and a mask was easier, and it was fine - because in terms of lying he had far more marks against his name than she did.

Life started talking, when he said he wanted to be upfront Mari was wary, first - expecting him to say he didn't want her around anymore, and that it'd be better off if they acted as strangers from here on out - so when he had said that he wanted to hang out with her? That shocked Mari. "Y-you...uh...huh?" Mari couldn't hide the surprise in her tone. "If you want to...I suppose I have some time right now." She wiped her brow. "Although, after today...I do have to ask that I don't want to do anything on this floor again.  what did you have in mind?  There was a quest near here...mmm...bloodstained......something,....right? Did you need help with that?"

@Life @Alkor