[F24 - PP] Next Destinies

The meeting was hectic, so many people had shown up with little to no contribution to the overall meeting, Macradon included. The knight waved goodbye at all the attendees of the meeting and made his leave. On his way down the stairs of many red torii gates littered all over the giant Japanese-themed house, Macradon thought of a few things, mostly about his friends, and his best friend as well. He mumbled and grumbled while undressing himself from the kimono and began to don his casual knights clothes again, nothing fancy, nothing battle ready, just the usual him.

He wanted to make amends and clear confusion between him and a person he considers a friend despite him not being a person he had talked to a lot, just barely. They met under weird circumstances, but Bahr quickly raised the bar as to how fast he got up to speed with the frontlines, it was impressive, it was nearly daunting to have a rival like that. The two hadn't interacted much, but somehow … they still became much like each other, maybe not perfectly mirrored .. but close to.

He took in a deep breath while seating himself on the boat back to the main walkways and constructed a draft

Hey Bahr,

It's been a while since we actually talked together. Last time we had even the smallest kind of conversation … it wasn't because we just met up and had a chit chat … it was because I gave a wanted murderer asylum in my estate … in the safe zone.
It might’ve not been the best way to break off like this, and I’d like to make amends to what has happened and get things cleared out. 

If you want to talk I’ll give you a coffee. You’ll find me in Paraneze.

- Macradon

He took a look at the draft, eyeing it over and over until he just accepted it as is and sent it off. Hopefully the receiver would give a response.

Stats

Spoiler

DynamicMac_v2_narrow.png
Macradon
The Imperial Topaz
Level: 88
Stats HP: 1805
NRG: 189
ACC: 3
EVA: 0
DMG: 19
MIT: 107
REC: 6
FRT: 36(21)
FRZ: 6(2 turns)
VMP: 180
Equipped Items - Blade of the Bloody Dictator // +12 Holy, Phase, 180 Vampiric Offensive
- Knight's Clothes ........... // +3 LD
- Templar's Necklace ......... // +6 Recovery, +2 Accuracy

- Belphegor: Fighting Familiar // +9 Damage
Battle Ready Inventory - Silverlight ................ // +72 Mitigation, +36 Frost Thorns, +6 Freeze Damage
- Empty inventory slot ....... //
- Dimensional backpack
- Empty inventory slot ..... //
Buffs - Rested ..................... // -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat.
- Filling .................... // Increase the effectiveness of a single food item
consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slots.
- Relaxed .................... // Increase Out of Combat HP regen by 15(5 * Tier) HP
and decrease full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat
posts.
- Col Deposit ................ // +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.
- Buff name .................. // Buff effect.
Skills & Mods - Two-Handed Straight Sword .. || Rank 5: +7 Damage.
- Precision ................. // +1 Accuracy.
- Ferocity .................. // +1 Damage.
- Finesse ................... // Rank 3: Decrease Energy Cost of attacks by 3.
- Heavy Armor ................ || Rank 5: +35 Damage Mitigation.
- Athletics ................. // +1 Damage, +45 Health.
- Searching .................. || Rank 5: +5 Loot Die, +5 Stealth Detection.
- Reveal .................... // +2 LD when searching for dungeons and labyrinths.
You may also search for a sub-dungeon or labyrinth
every 15 posts (instead of 20).

- Tracking .................. // Allows the user to track previously-encountered
monsters, NPCs, or other players. Negates all
bonuses to the target's Stealth Rating. After
tracking, your first attack against the tracked
creature cannot miss. Cannot be used in combat.
- Battle Healing ............. || Rank 5: Heal 90(5%) each post In-Battle.
- Fighting Spirit ............ || +1 Hate generation.
- Hiding ..................... || Rank 5: +5 Stealth Rating.
- Vanish .................... // Use in combat post action to stealth. Free action
in combat to stealth if target has been slain.
- Surprise Attack ........... // Cannot miss from stealth. +3(1 * Tier) damage on
first attack.
- Extended Mod Limit ......... || Rank 3: +3 Mod slots.
- Parry ...................... || Reduce incoming damage by 50%(rounded down).
- Justified Riposte ......... // Stun attacker for 1 turn.
- Energist ................... || Add 15(5 * Tier) Energy to your max pool.
- Charge ..................... || Rank 5: +5 on initial hit.

- Disguise ................... || +1 EVA for one turn.
- Survival ................... || Heal 45 HP when our of battle.
- Familiar Mastery: Fighter .. || Rank 3: +9(Tier * Rank) Damage.
- Meditation ................. || Recover 15(5 * Tier) energy with post action.
Reduced to 10(2 x Tier) energy if you are hit
before your next round.
Spoiler

STATS
LEVEL - 73
HP - 1490
EN - 146
DMG - 20
MIT - 79
ACC - 3
EVA - 4
FALLEN - 12
HOLY - 6
LD - 5
STEALTH DETECTION - 5
HOLY BLESSING - 24
BATTLE HEALING - 72
PHASE

HOME BUFFS
» WELL RESTED
      -1 EN FOR THE FIRST THREE TURNS OF COMBAT
» RELAXED
      +15 TO OUT OF COMBAT HP REGENERATION
      FULL ENERGY REGENERATION AFTER TWO POSTS OUT OF COMBAT
» SQUEAKY CLEAN
      REDUCE INCOMING DOT DAMAGE BY 25% FOR FIRST INCOMING DOT INFLICTED IN THREAD
» FILLING
      INCREASE EFFECTIVENESS OF A SINGLE CONSUMED FOOD ITEM IN A THREAD BY +1 T1 SLOT
» ITEM STASH
      +1 BATTLE-READY INVENTORY SLOT
» DELICIOUS
      COMBINE 3 IDENTICAL FOOD ITEMS INTO A FEAST ONCE PER THREAD
» SKYLIGHT SEARCHING
      SEARCHING EXPERTISE INCREASED BY 1
» ANGLER
      +1 MATERIAL GAINED WHILE FISHING
» MULTIPURPOSE
      GAIN +1 TO LD, STEALTH RATING, STEALTH DETECTION, OR PROSPERITY TO ONE POST IN A THREAD
      CAN BE APPLIED AFTER THE ROLL
» DECOR: <<SPOOKY AMENITY>>
      REDUCE INCOMING DOT DAMAGE BY 5% FOR FIRST INCOMING DOT INFLICTED IN THREAD
» KAMATETSU STATUE
      +1 DMG

SKILLS

NON-COMBAT SKILLS
» EXTENDED MOD LIMIT R3 

PASSIVE
      ALLOWS FOR THE USE OF ONE 3 ADDITIONAL MODS
» 
SEARCHING R4 >>> R5 WITH SKYLIGHT BUFF

PASSIVE
      +5 LD
      +5 STEALTH DETECTION

COMBAT SKILLS
» PARRY

POST ACTION
      REDUCE FINAL DAMAGE OF NEXT ATTACK AGAINST YOU BY 50% (ROUNDED DOWN) AND NEGATES STUN/PARALYSIS EFFECT OF THAT ATTACK
           COOLDOWN: 2 TURNS
» BATTLE HEALING R5

PASSIVE
      WHILE IN COMBAT, USER HEALS FOR 5% (73 HP) OF THEIRMAX HP EACH TURN
» 
ENERGIZE

POST ACTION
      RESTORE 8 ENERGY TO TARGET PARTY MEMBER. CANNOT TARGET USER.
» 
CHARGE R4

POST ACTION
      +4 BASE DAMAGE TO A SINGLE ATTACK
      -1 ACC DURING ATTACK

EXTRA SKILLS
» DISGUISE

FREE ACTION
      +1 EVA UNTIL START OF YOUR NEXT TURN
           COOLDOWN: 3 TURNS
» 
MEDITATION

POST ACTION
      RECOVER AN ADDITIONAL 15 ENERGY - GETTING HIT BY AN ATTACK BEFORE YOUR NEXT TURN REDUCES ADDITIONAL ENERGY RECOVERY TO 9

WEAPON SKILLS
» TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD R5

+7 DMG WHEN TWO-HANDED WEAPON IS EQUIPPED

ARMOR SKILLS
» LIGHT ARMOR R5

+25 MIT

MODS
» LIGHT ARMOR MOD: ATHLETICS

PASSIVE
      +1 DMG WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
      +30 HP WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
»
 LIGHT ARMOR MOD: SPRINT & ACROBATICS

PASSIVE
      +1 EVA WHEN WEARING LIGHT ARMOR
»
 PARRY MOD: JUSTIFIED RIPOSTE

POST ACTION: COMBINE WITH PARRY
      SUCCESSFUL PARRY STUNS OPPONENT
»
 WEAPON MOD: PRECISION

PASSIVE
      +1 ACC
»
 WEAPON MOD: TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD FEROCITY

PASSIVE
     ➥ +1 DMG WHEN USING 2HSS SWORD ARTS
» WEAPON MOD: TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD FINESSE R3

PASSIVE
      REDUCES THE EN COST OF TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD SWORD ARTS BY 3
» BATTLE HEALING MOD: EMERGENCY RECOVERY

PASSIVE
      WHEN PLAYER WOULD SUFFER NON-LETHAL DAMAGE THAT PUTS THEM BELOW 25% HP, HEAL 10% HP (147 HPAFTER THE ATTACK RESOLVES
      CAN ONLY OCCUR ONCE PER THREAD
»
 ENERGIZE MOD: HYPERACTIVE

POST ACTION
      INCREASE PASSIVE ENERGY RECOVERY OF PARTY MEMBER BY 3 FOR 3 TURNS. CAN TARGET USER.
» SEARCHING MOD: REVEAL

PASSIVE
      +2 LD WHEN SEARCHING FOR SUB-DUNGEONS OR LABYRINTHS
      USER CAN SEARCH FOR SUB-DUNGEON ONCE EVERY 15 POSTS
      USER CAN SEARCH FOR LABYRINTH ONCE EVERY 3 POSTS
»
 SEARCHING MOD: DETECT

PASSIVE
      +2 STEALTH DETECTION
      +1 LD WHEN SEARCHING FOR SUB-DUNGEONS OR LABYRINTHS

EQUIPMENT

WEAPON
» [EQUIPPED] "DAWN'S DEMISE" - TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD (T3 - DEMONIC)
     ➥ FALLEN 2
           +12 TO BASE DAMAGE ON NATURAL ROLLS OF 6-8
     ➥ HOLY
           +6 TO BASE DAMAGE ON NATURAL ROLLS OF 9 OR HIGHER
     ➥ PHASE
           IGNORES 50% OF MIT ON NATURAL ROLLS OF 9 OR HIGHER

ARMOR
» [EQUIPPED] "BLOODSTAINED COAT" - LIGHT ARMOR (T3 - DEMONIC)
      +54 MIT
      +1 EVA
      HOLY BLESSING
           AFTER TAKING DAMAGE, USER HEALS 24 HP AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FOLLOWING TURN

TRINKET
» [EQUIPPED] "EAGLE'S EYE" - TRINKET (T1 - DEMONIC)
      +2 EVA
      +2 ACC

FAMILIAR
» [EQUIPPED] SWINE BAJESUS R3
     ➥ +9 DMG

BATTLE-READY INVENTORY

» TELEPORT CRYSTAL (5)
     ➥ ALLOWS USER TO BYPASS ROLL DURING FLEE
» HYPNOSIS 2 INSTANT CRYSTAL (3)
     ➥ -2 ACC TO SINGLE TARGET
» LULLABY 2 INSTANT CRYSTAL (1)
     ➥ -2 EVA TO SINGLE TARGET
» FLASH OF REJUVENATION COMPOUND (3)
     ➥ INSTANT
     ➥
 HEAL 90 HP AS A FREE ACTION (AFFECTS ALL MEMBERS OF PARTY)

» SELF HEAL RECOVERY ELIXIR COMPOUND (5)
     ➥ HEAL 180 HP
» "DUSK'S DEMISE" - TWO-HANDED STRAIGHT SWORD (T3 - PERFECT)
     ➥ VAMPIRIC OFFENSIVE
           HEAL 147 HP ON NATURAL ROLLS OF 9 OR HIGHER
     ➥ +1 ACC
     ➥ TAUNT
           +1 HATE GENERATED FROM HOWL, FOCUSED HOWL, AND SUCCESSFUL ATTACKS

Hey Bahr,

It's been a while since we actually talked together. Last time we had even the smallest kind of conversation … it wasn't because we just met up and had a chit chat … it was because I gave a wanted murderer asylum in my estate … in the safe zone.
It might’ve not been the best way to break off like this, and I’d like to make amends to what has happened and get things cleared out. 

If you want to talk I’ll give you a coffee. You’ll find me in Paraneze.

- Macradon

Strange time to gather around and reminisce. While Bahr still wasn't particularly happy with the outcome of their recent encounter, he'd be remiss not to hear the man out. He did, after all, owe a great deal to Macradon. Or, rather, he had owed a great deal to Macradon. As far as Bahr was concerned, the handoff of Mari had squared them up.

With a strained sigh, Bahr pressed his index finger against the 'reply' button and readied his hands as a composition prompt populated between him and Macradon's message.

Mac and Cheese,

Sure thing, bud. See you in ten.

- Bahr

Paraneze was a strange city, though Bahr mostly attributed that to the persistent smell of salt that hung in the air there. He was naturally untrusting of such places. Even his island home didn't reek of salt the way this place did. The buildings were weathered from it. Even the NPCs in the area seemed eroded by the harsh sea air. Though he knew it was only a trick of the system, it was still unsettling. Everything here was just... starting to fall apart.

It didn't stop the coffee from being good, though. It was the foremost thing on Bahr's mind as he approached Macradon, offered a nod, and said, "Hope you were serious about coffee. That meeting zapped me."

He smirked at the short and snarky reply he got from Bahr, it was nice they weren’t at each other's throats after that endeavor. He would sit and wait patiently on his comrade to appear, taking all the time he needed before showing up at the not so specific designation of location. When Bahr finally arrived, Macradon would stand up from his chair and smile “Good to see you again out of any formalities.” he said and reached out a hand for a shake. He would sit back down and wave for a waiter to come by to get their orders “Just a regular filtered coffee with a bit of cream please.” he said and gestured for Bahr to make his order “It’s on me, go as wild as you’d like.”

After the orders were placed, Macradon would correct his posture in his chair and change to a bit more serious tone of voice and facial expression. “We both know what happened, but I don’t think I ever got to explain to you why I did what I did. Mari didn’t persuade me in any way, she didn’t try to seduce me or buy me out, she wouldn’t do that, despite all the rumors that have been circulating Aincrad.

I met her, randomly, at her family’s makeshift grave, stumbled upon her, mourning those that she had slain in an effort to stay alive. She’s a murderer for sure, she has killed, some murders she regret, others she don’t, but that’s not relevant as to why I tried to protect her.” he said and thanked for the coffee as it arrived.

“I believe that she is still redeemable, I believe that many others have already accepted her as redeemable, she might’ve even redeemed herself already. The only thing that still lingers in the air is the salt of those rumors that have been spread through every telephone possible. Not that many people actually know about those rumors anymore, all they have to base judgement on is that Orange cursor and the names on the Monument of Life.

I hope you can understand why I didn’t just hand her over to the authorities and locked her up like any other criminal could be, if I did, I would have to go in as well for what I’ve done.” he said and leaned back, hoping to get a response.

• 3 weeks later...

"I'll have the same, thanks."

Bahr absently stirred the cream into the coffee, eyes glued to the concoction as the white and black liquids clashed, then danced, and eventually settled into a single cohesive mixture. Though his orbs remained affixed to the caffeinated beverage, his attention was on the words strung together by Macradon. A tapestry laid upon him in the hopes of getting Bahr to agree with his companion's actions - or at the very least, understand them. As Macradon concluded his explaination, Bahr raised the mug to his lips and took a sip, expression souring as he pulled the cup away.

"Not enough cream," he decided aloud, adding a bit more before resuming his stirring ritual. When he felt satisfied with the final color of the combined products, he tapped the stir stick against the edge of the mug to let loose any drips, before setting it to the side and finally allowing his eyes to flicker upward, and meet with Macradon's. He pursed his lips, then finally asked, "The people that you and Mari have killed. What do you think they did outside of Aincrad?"

"I'm sure some of the people in this game were wicked on the outside, too. But I think it's safe to assume that most of the people in Aincrad were completely normal before they stepped foot in the game. Do you have any idea how many intentional murderers exist per ten thousand people? It's not like I have the resources to check, but I'd wager it's low."
 He rose the mug to his lips again and took a long sip while allowing his words to settle in. Expression more pleased than the last time he'd partaken in the coffee, he set it down gently and left the cream alone before continuing.

"So, back to the original question. What do you think the killers of this world, and their victims, did before all of this? Those the two of you have chosen to snuff out very likely had family, friends, loved ones waiting for them on the outside. Now none of those people will ever reconnect again. They'll blame the game, but we know where the blame really belongs."

"As the old saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right. I understand if you believe you are justified in your kills. I understand if that is what she believes. But, again, the people who 'deserve it' here in Aincrad likely weren't anything like that before the game broke them. With the exception of niche scenarios that demand one person or the other dies, they could have been put in holding until the game was cleared. They never had the aid, resources, or means to get the psychological help that they needed - and now they never will. A ripple effect in the real world spreads this pain much further than you or I can comprehend while trapped inside."

Another sip, and then, "It's not that I hate you, Macradon. Or her. Were I a more unhinged individual, I would have killed her rather than taken her into custody. I know I would have been more than capable of doing so. Though, then, that would have made me no better. The best thing we can do with the criminals of this world is put them away until they can get the help they need on the outside. It's what's best for them, and us."

• 2 weeks later...

Bahr was nice enough to wait for Macradon to finish his reasoning, to try and lay out the groundwork for their discussion, hoping that they both at some point would be able to see each others points, perhaps not agree with them, perhaps not with the best of outlooks, but at least understand each other. As Bahr finally uttered the first few words, Macradon sighed and nodded ”It’s not like I haven’t been pondering, dreading, about that before, still do. Actions have consequences, and I’m sure there will come a judgment down upon me at some point, be it in here out outside …

Yeah, probably innocent people, or at least ”normal people” that lead ”normal life”, only to be triggered or consumed by the immersion of a virtual world that would bring them to such a degree of psychopathy that they nonchalantly go around and plot people’s deaths like so. I don’t doubt the amount of people in here that have been killed because of the reckless behavior they could’ve been helped out of is … larger than I’d like to admit, and I’m part of that problem,” he said and sighed once again, taking another sip of his coffee.

“Yeah, it’s our fault that their loved ones, friends, and family won’t ever be able to greet them when they get out of this place ever again. We are at fault for disturbing another person’s life.

And yeah, two wrongs certainly don’t make a right, I have come to that realization albeit way too late for me to take action on that again. “

Bahr’s words hit hard, they cut deep only because they were the truth. Macradon hadn’t been hiding from the intense domino effect his murders would make, he never once while in the act thought of what consequences his killings would have. Now what’s done has been done, he can only beg for forgiveness from their closest and hope for judgment upon him. “I wanted to help them in the beginning … I wanted to capture them, help them reintegrate into what little society we have in here … but they kept attacking, kept murdering. I just snapped at the thought of them not willing to try and get out of their murderous cycles. And that was when I began hunting them. That was when I caught the scent of guilds that went out of their way to plot the demise of other players.

Emotions have never been a thing I was able to control, they’ve for the most part controlled me and my actions, it’s no excuse for what I’ve done, but it’s something I can reflect upon and try to work with.” he said and chugged the last big of coffee that was left in his cup.

“I agree, I’d rather have someone “trapped” in one place and left for the actual ruling authorities to take care of work that is not meant for gamers like us. We don’t know what’s actually right and what’s actually wrong, we can judge it, but who have given us permission to just through judgment at people.

My reasons for what I’ve done are much more shallow than what Mari’s were, so if you were to come and hate any of us, and if you were to want to kill any of us, at least let it be me to take the blame for the other unhinged player killer killers, and just player killers in general, because I trust you can provide more help for the others than I ever could. I’m a fighter, that’s what I excel at, that’s what I can do, it’s my only forte.”

Bahr swirled his coffee about as Macradon explained his position in more granular detail, taking the occasional thoughtful sip and keeping his eyes glued to those of the man sitting across. When it seemed he'd come to a logical conclusion of his monologue, Bahr gently set the mug back down on the table and crossed his arms, slumping a bit and leaning back into his chair. 

"I used to think the same thing, you know," Bahr noted, expression remaining largely neutral. "That I was only good as a soldier. But, in time, I've come to realize that we have an opportunity to be so much more here. For better or worse, regardless our flaws, there are those that look up to people like us. Honestly, it's just something that comes with the territory."

"The actions of Frontliners like you and Zandra moulded my own as I worked to ascend the ranks. I was inspired by your perseverance and unrivaled power. I could see that it was people like you who made the difference when it came to pushing onward and upward through the castle."
 Realizing he was getting a bit sidetracked, Bahr decided to circle back. "All that being said, I know that your actions were rooted in virtuous intention. Regardless of whether or not I actually agree with them, you did what you were doing because you believed it to be right. It's Mari that I'm not so sure about."

"Frankly, I don't believe her story. I can't bring myself to accept that all of those deaths were happenstance, heat of the moment ordeals. Whether she thought she was doing the right thing for some of them, I can feel in my bones that some of them weren't so virtuous. That's why I'm concerned. She seems to have wriggled her way into the good graces of all of the people who seem to conveniently be among the strongest in this world. A large part of me feels that that is no accident, and that her musings of victimhood are a rouse to earn pity and trust. It concerns me that it seems to be working so effectively, and that she could potentially snap again at any moment - while surrounded by people that Aincrad needs."

Macradon’s smile widened, it felt like Bahr properly accepted his views, not agreeing to them, just accepting them. He nodded and looked out through one of the windows of the café, it was quite the grandiose view that he could anticipate from this floor, but it was better than staring down into his now empty cup of coffee, or any of the wooden walls. “I’ve been told that a lot, that the people of the frontlines, myself included, give hope and ambition to others so they can raise themselves from the ground, to be able to give a hand in clearing this castle.”

“And I understand how Mari’s past … happenings ... are a bit weird to say the least. I don’t believe all her killings were done just because she snapped, or just because she wanted to. Since no one alive or present can actually vouch for any of her stories, I just trust her enough that she won’t stab us in the back for no apparent reason.

I know the concern you have of Mari, I had … still have the same view on someone named Teayre, don’t know if you’ve heard of her. Calrex’s wife, orange player, snapping mid boss raid and killing multiple frontliners. I feared the worst whenever I saw her, she was unstable, but lately I haven’t seen her at all, probably locked herself up in her home somewhere. I should probably have the same thoughts towards Mari, but I have never seen any doubt in her possible facade, nothing unstable to make me think anyone would be in danger because she was there.

I don’t know how much you know about Mari’s past, and to be frank I don’t know much either. When I started venturing out into the fields of Aincrad, Mari was a force on the frontlines, just like I currently am. People looked up to the pink dagger wielding player killer, people feared her just as much. What people feared were the stories of who she’d murdered, why she’d murdered, and how dangerous she was to be around.

When I first met Mari, she didn’t seem to be that kind of dangerous serial killer on the loose. She felt like a defeated mother who had given up on everything, who had lost everything. I’ve seen her grow attached to others, latching on to people she can be with, protect, and not fear their inevitable death in the short run. I don’t fear Mari as much as I fear the one who actively cold-bloodedly murdered frontliners in front of everyone, knowing that no one could do anything to her because Calrex would always side with her. 

If I ever were to fear Mari, I doubt it’s because she snapped and began a killing spree mid raid. Baseless claim only build upon trust between friends. I don’t know what you’ll make of this, but I’d like to hear if you have any plans to proactively counteract a possible snap, I’d be all ears to have any backup should that bond of trust be severed.”

"My plan to proactively counteract a possible snap was to put her in jail," Bahr replied coolly, though there was no malice in his tone. "If she were to snap now, it would be civil war. People would quickly take sides and the skirmish would be bloody. There's no way around it."

An uncomfortable silence settled between them, seemingly blanketing and smothering the typical noise that pervaded the cafe. His eyes remained locked on Macradon's, brows slightly furrowed in an attempt to convey how seriously he took the situation. It wasn't just that he thought Mari was dangerous. He found her influence to be particularly more so. "We are essentially sitting on a powder keg and hoping nobody lights a match," he surmised. "This sort of situation may only require a spark. I've seen it. Recently, one of my strongest and most trusted allies went off the deep end. Began killing other players, turned his back on my guild, physically fought with me, and seemingly abandoned everything he previously stood for. There was no indication that this would happen - no prior history that would suggest he would become what he is now. But it still happened."

His eyes narrowed as the fists of his folded arms balled tightly, gloves squelching softly against the increasing tension. "We hear stories like this all the time, Macradon. It's not just because I'm close to this particular issue that I hold the views I do. If he, a man with no prior inclination toward such deeds, could suddenly snap and spiral down the path he has, what reason do I have to believe that Mari isn't just as prone to returning to those ways - if not more so?"

After a beat of silence, Bahr concluded, "At this point, the best thing you can do to proactively stop another snap is keep Parry active when around her and pray that the right people join the right sides when all hell breaks loose."

• 1 month later...

He snickered “Yeah, I figured as much.” he replied and sighed. Locking up Mari would be the most effective … but he just could not get himself to actually lock up his best friend. Despite the fear that was spread around her, he could not just give in to taking away someone’s freedom … at least not anymore. His past was still part of him, her past was still part of her, they’ve had their fair share of wrongdoings, and despite everything he had mentioned of Mari’s self defense, he understood every single reason Bahr wasn’t comfortable having someone like her freely roaming, mingling, integrating into the community of Aincrad’s finest.

Macradon could only nod, it was true what Bahr said, sudden psychotic triggers could happen at any time, with or without prior tendencies for psychosis. It was only because Bahr spit straight facts that it hurt Macradon more, it was true, the possibility … the risk of Mari breaking, it was present even if no one wanted it to. It happened with Oikawa, it happened with Teayre, it happened with Bahr’s guild mate … why shouldn’t it be possible with Mari?

He sighed, a civil was in the front lines would not be pretty, no matter whomever joined whatever side. It was close to happen on the 16th boss raid, 23rd boss raid, hopefully not any other future boss raid, but hope would only get them so far, reality would kick them in the balls with a super magical punch, nut shotting everyone in sight point blank, there was nothing to do, you couldn’t be as prepared as you wanted to, you could only hope, holding on to an imaginary thread which could be cut at any second.

“I guess … I can’t really defend Mari more than I already have, all I know is a 2nd person perspective from my Mentor’s experience as well as Mari’s own words. I had not been present at any of her happenings, nor do I know anyone alive that was either. Disabling with parry seems to be the only thing I can do, as you said. But I wish there was  something better I could do for her, for everyone. But with how dire things seem to be, there is no possible compromise …” he sighed and leaned back over his chair, staring at the ceiling above.

• 3 months later...

Bahr frowned as Macradon dramatically leaned over the back of his chair, stealing another sip of his coffee. After a moment, he cleared his throat, and addressed his peer with a softer tone. "All we can do is our best, my friend." There was no further intent or deeper meaning behind the words - only the silent recognition that he understood Macradon's reasoning. He further cemented this sentiment with a nod, conveying a respect and trust he was unwilling to give to most others. 

"More than a peer, I respect you as a mentor, Mac," he admitted as he set down the cup. "I trust in your ability to handle it if something goes awry. That being said, it's just very easy for things to get out of our control. It wouldn't be productive for us to assume anything to the contrary."

He was unsure if there was much else he could say. He'd laid his contention out on the table, and so had Macradon. All that was left was the company they shared. Bahr's mismatched hues trailed to the window, studying the floors sunny contents beyond its translucent veil. "It's a nice day out."

Bahr left a short comment to Macradon’s ramblings, but it was more than enough to make the knight smirk “And I hope we will all keep doing it.” he added as a closing statement.

Macradon nodded at Bahr and smiled “You’ve been more than a peer to me as well. Our shenanigans have been … quite pleasant to experience. I respect you as a comrade, a friend. At no point have I seen you as an apprentice, but more of another hope for the people I could catapult (or trebuchet) to the frontlines and help us all reach that final goal. Probably sounds like using you as a pawn, but that would imply I’m smart enough to strategize.” he said chortling lightly and added “I will take care and not dismiss any possibility of anyone’s downfall … I will be prepared.” he said and looked outside.

“It sure is … it sure is.”

He sat back up straight in his chair and gestured his hand to the waiter so he could pay for the two’s refreshments. “I’ve heard through the grapevine that you might’ve been interested in this?” he asked and quickly navigated through his inventory and withdrew some kind of runestone. Upon the stone was a crude depiction of the leveled up Cerberus boss, the etching glowing like lava in the stone. “You want it?” he asked and slid it over to Bahr.

Offering «Cerberus Etching»