[EV-F07] Storm of Shadows

A chill ran down Katoka's spine.

"We need to go, now." she said to Elora, "Something feels off."

She reached out to take her green headed companion's hand to give it a squeeze for reassurance before turning to the crowd, "Don't think too hard! Just walk quickly and carefully and we'll make it to higher ground!"

With a mask of determination she began trudging through the rising liquid towards the hills ahead of them. She would look back occasionally to make sure everyone was following. The glow of the stones various individuals had grabbed were giving off enough light to let Katoka see a few feet in front of her, though it was a hazy black existence past that. It was her hope that she could get them at least out of the lowest point and onto dryer land, not that the storm wasn't dropping this blighted water anywhere else.

Feeling her knees finally break the surface as she found the incline of path leading out of town she let out a sigh of relief. It was literally all uphill from here. Checking back once more to see if she was still being followed, she began her ascent up the path and out of the pool of ominous murk.

"Let's see if we can find some sort of shelter." she called back to Elora, "I don't see any status effects popping up for this nasty rain, but I don't want to take any chances being out here for too long."

Spoiler

ID#: 178186
Initial Roll Value: 19
Giving or Receiving: N/A
Final Roll Value: N/A

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Right", agreed Elora with a resolute nod of her head. The tender touch of Katoka's hand was a striking and captivating contrast to her commanding voice and determined expression. She really does radiate the spirit of a leader -- but that doesn't mean she has to do this alone. I know that I can be just as strong. I have to be just as strong. There is no other option. 

"You guide us to somewhere we can hide. I'll make sure no one is left behind" Returning a firm squeeze, Elora released Katoka's hand, disappearing in an instant as she fled down the slope of the mountain in search of anyone who needed help in order to make the journey. As she sprinted past the glowing stones held like candles in a vigil to welcome her death, Elora finally began to understand why Freyd had feared his inevitable decent into darkness. Voluntarily departing from the safety of the group in the name of self-sacrifice was nothing short of concerning --- it was maddening. Elora didn't want to think about it. Elora didn't want to confront it. She desperately tried to sedate her emotions, shove down the memories that were flooding through her head: a reassuring pat on her slumped shoulders, her trembling hand held briefly by another, the forgiving embrace of someone she knew she had hurt. All of them. 

There is no other option, she told herself again as tears began to shed from the corners of her eyes, You need to forget them. It's too much to handle...the loss... Surely, it would be easier this way. If she didn't have to endure the pain that came with remembering their time together, then maybe, just maybe, she could find the courage she needed to see this through. Especially since this time, there would be no upper-hand to gain, and no competition to be won. She couldn't rely on her drive to crush her opponent in pursuit of praise when only she would be left to stand as the spectator of her own actions. 'At least if I die out there alone, then no one will be able to mock me for screwing up', an all-too familiar defense rang through her head. Recollection of the thought bit Elora with a sharp sting of anger that seemed to suspend the creeping coldness from consuming her completely. No -- they would never -- they don't want to see you fail. Images of her parents berating her over countless mistakes flashed across her mind, fueling her with new ambition. They wanted to see you fail so that you would never try to do any better. Prove them wrong -- No. Prove to yourself that they are wrong. Fight. LIVE for the ones who do believe in you!

The heels of Elora's boots slid through the sludgy soil as she came to an abrupt stop at the base of the mountain's footpath. Dozens of players could be seen running through the muck while others collapsed and fell victim to its suffocating embrace.

"OVER HERE!", she yelled to anyone that would listen, "CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN AND GET TO HIGHER GROUND!"

Party: @Katoka

Vanity tag: @Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Spoiler

ID#: 178299
Initial Roll Value: 20
Giving or Receiving: N/A
Final Roll Value: N/A

Edited by Elora

Seeing a shade in a swelling pool, larger than most with a stomp of its foot. It was speaking, which set it from the pack. A single swing of her blade bisects the one in front of her. While others were seeking shelter the girl was bathing in this darkened rain and coverage, painted the same from head to toe as a bitter chill caused her breath to form in puffs. Her lungs accompanied the cold, it was a bit sharp and colder than even floor four. Her skin was a burning numbness, her katana's saya held with her left as she took bounds with her right. Out for blood and smeared in ink, the wolf on the prowl and the entity that would not fear her. A difficult to tame pairing with a scent of a culprit beckoned a result to which it would be difficult to persuade her from following that trail. 

Initial Roll Value: ID# 178318 results: Battle: 10 Loot: 2
Giving or Receiving: 2 to Hugo, 5 from Freya
Final Roll Value: 5

Edited by Setsuna

She starts to walk with the others to the tavern, that is before she hears a weapon clash against something...She couldn't make out what was being fought but she knew that she needed to save everyone she could and even if she went down too...she could say that she at least tried to be a help to this disaster. Running quickly past everyone she grabs a blank and a tarp she finds in the corner of the tavern under the stairs and covers the blanket with it knowing that the cloth wouldn't do much for warmth if it was wet. Running outside now to the clashing weapon against the unknown object or thing she starts to hear harsh breathing. Someone was having issues breathing in this cold nature. Seeing a figure, a shadow... and then a small girl. Running without hesitation toward this young girl she covers them both from the rain and moves her away from the shadowed figure. For the most part, they were out of the rain and Freya starts to rub now what she sees as Setsuna's arms trying to warm her up not caring if she didn't want it as she says, "I don't know what you were trying to do with that shadowed figure, hell I will even help if you want to go back out there. Just don't kill over out there okay? People care about you too..." The friction that Freya gave with her hands to Setsuna's arms manages to warm her up to even breathe again. Freya smiles and lets go of her arms saying "I am ready when you are..."

ID#: 178319
Initial Roll Value: 19
Giving or Receiving: Giving Setsuna 5 
Final Roll Value: 14

Edited by Freya

She stepped out from beneath the awning.

Cardinal's invisible hand had sent a large number of the stage props running in the same direction — the ones who chose to flee, anyway. The girl relit the crystal still in her hand and trudged down that same path. She felt her steps drag; the skies dimmed until she could see no further past the weak bubble of light she'd cast, and as the floodwaters rose, she pressed close to the fronts of the establishments bordering the main street.

Mishiro couldn't pinpoint exactly when she lost the trail. Or whether the flow had simply left a foolish straggler behind, or stagnated, or vanished entirely into the night. But she would have rather taken wading amongst the waves of mass hysteria over being left to face the dark alone. 

Inside the folds of her coat, she traced a finger along the cold silver frame of her pocket watch.

End of the block; no wall left to follow.

The water had risen to her knees. The curb dipped down to the road, and she knew the current would only grow stronger in the middle — but only a meter or so past it, the ground would rise back up and she would be a few more steps closer to the teleport plaza. She spared a single, futile, glance over her shoulder, before she took her hand off the support.

Hardly had she stepped down the curb when the rushing water swept her legs from underneath her.

178320: LD 12 -- Received: 10 from @Lessa

Koga suddenly felt someone grab his shoulder and the man went to draw his sword as he turned. The weapon was already halfway drawn before he recognized the form of Azhoda, her armor marred from the inky rain, and her hair, likewise containing streaks of grey and black now, clinging to her head. She wasn't taking 'no' for an answer from the sound of it.

Koga looked back behind him at the group he and the others had been shepherding. Already the girls were moving up along the hill, the blonde dragging the other behind her. "Damn it," Koga swore. They'd be fine. The man turned back to the redhead and sheathed his weapon, "Alright, lets go." It wasn't like him to deny a friend in need anyways.

The two started to run in the direction of Nimbus' exit, the exact opposite direction they wanted to be going right now. "Who is this guy anyways?" Koga asked between breaths, "What's he look like?"

@Azhoda

Spoiler

ID#: 178337
Initial Roll Value: 3
Giving or Receiving: Receiving 5 from @Azhoda
Final Roll Value: 8

Edited by Koga

Neither of them wanted to believe that the event was linked to the boss battle, and yet, the timing was fairly uncanny. They would have to put the thought in their back pockets for now though, because more pressing things were afoot. They managed to break free of the muck, mostly- it continued to accumulate and the depth and intensity of the rain intensified until it had become more than just a flash flood.

It reminded him of a biblical story, but it was a far cry from divine wrath. This was black water, so thick and inky in color that you couldn't imagine the bottom. Alkor immediately considered this more demonic than of any deity. 

There were others now, visibly struggling with the despoiled, turgid liquid. He called out, "Does anyone need help?" He looked around the lot of them to ensure there was no one visibly floundering. By now, they had enough high ground that if someone were just on the cusp of being swallowed up they could at least get a hand to them and pull them out.

Hopefully that would be enough to keep anyone from dying.

ID# 178487

Initial Roll Value: 6

Giving/Receiving: -

Final Roll Value: 6

Edited by Alkor

"OVER HERE! CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN AND GET TO HIGHER GROUND!"

The call was nearly lost to the chaos, but fortunately, it managed to reach Lessa. Turning away from Alkor, the blonde squinted through the rain, attempting to locate the source. "You heard that, right?" she asked her companion. She swiped the back of her hand across her eyes, attempting to clear them of the inky liquid, but her hand was just as wet. So she huffed out a hard breath, sending little water droplets scattering from lips. "Sounds like people are starting to group up. That combined effort is a really good idea right now." She reached for Alkor, gave his forearm a hard squeeze, then said, "Let's work our way toward them. I think we can be even more helpful in a group, and-"

Her gaze tracked across a lone figure, and Lessa's blood froze in her veins. The other woman stood waist-deep in black water, the sea of black quickly rising to claim even more of her. I know that face, Lessa thought to herself. Even in the rain, she recognized Mishiro. "Hang on!" Lessa heard herself cry out, already lunging for the drowning player. Doing her best not to fall into the swirling darkness, Lessa grabbed Mishiro's hand, threw her weight backward. "Don't... let... go," she managed through gritted teeth, dragging the woman back from the brink of who-knew-what, and onto higher ground.

Spoiler

ID# 178492

Initial Roll Value: 20

Giving/Receiving: Giving 10 to @Mishiro

Final Roll Value: 10

The darkness showed no sign of relenting anytime soon, threatening to consume everything until nothing was left. The flood of the inky water rose high enough that it had begun to force people from the city of Nimbus and leaving those without a source of light... in the dark. Not light nor hope had any place in Aincrad. All that remained was the darkness that was to consume all, even its inhabitants. 

On slightly higher ground, the storm was manageable. Not quite as high, but it slowly rose. The situation within the city was dire as most buildings slowly crumbled. Those still found within would find escaping harder and being forced to use the collapsed buildings to move around. 

It was too late when Hugo deciphered the difference in the sounds of the storm from the sounds of a man pursuing him through the murky waters. His body was slammed into the building to his right, the air being forced out of him. Dazed for a moment, he heard the threatening words of the figure in front of him. "Unlucky day? Every day after I woke up has been unlucky. I was once a bandit, slaughtered every damn day for just what I was designed to be."

"I don't think I am going to have to wait on respawning just yet." He slammed the hilt of an unseen dagger into the building, giving the force it needed to crumble away. Rolling over, he would push the player up and off him and onto the rubble of rocks. His eyes fell to his legs which had begun to be consumed by the storm. Picking himself from out of it he would roll up his sleeves. "Aincrad itself is trying to wipe out the plague that is you players. I am just helping it out."  He flipped the dagger in his hand. "Don't take it personal, but you don't look to strong. Pretty sure I could take you and Aincrad is about to wash out this city. You sure you can beat me and have enough time to get out?" He hadn't intended on getting in any real fights. He wasn't as near as strong as his superiors. He hadn't the cunning of them either. Some of them got around with craziness alone. 

Round Six will end in 144 hours [Nov 29th at 5:00 pm EST]

The LD Threshold is 5.

Staring daggers through the man with a dagger of his own held aloft by @MISERY. "No need for luck, you claim a high horse, and damn right your slaughtered for your design. That same design is the reason we have to." A keen edge flickers and draws in cyan, a twisted bite to her words. The most she'd have ever spoken, it wasn't often that prey fought back or spoke back against her.

"You get to respawn...Shiroe....Tianna...and Meina did not.." The words caught and choked in her throat, in the recollection of what this place had taken from her. "Allow me the pleasure of bringing it about again, and when you awake. Think hard at who your enemy is, for the puppets do not control the board. I would have given anything to not be here." An art played upon her blade and with it, the black ink that littered its edge turned to shards and flakes.

"I don't care about getting out, as long as I get to remove the heads of creatures like you!" She makes a move for Hugo but a sudden bundle latches her clean, and with it a bite of her tongue.

Freya removes her from the fray, a predator from her quarry. "What have you done!? Where is he?" Setsuna spat at the blonde, angered beyond belief to the point that a hue of cyan painted her iris. Her Gemini was stirring with its lust for a corpse. A faint memory of the figure in black that had held the NPC culprit back, although orange it allowed her to catch Hugo. "Freya, find the shade. I will warm up and join you on the hunt. Hugo will not escape this storm, but we need more than just us." Rubbing her arms feverishly causes heat and dryness along with feeling to return. A reach to her mouth lifts the blue fabric to cover the lower half of her face.

This hunt was not over, no matter how dense the thicket. As the O&I agent she was, she'd find what she needed as was expected of her by Freyd.

Vanity Tag: @MISERY @Freya @Freyd - The Whisper in Shadows

Initial Roll Value: ID# 178612 results: Loot: 5
Giving/Receiving: N/a

Watching a figure run past them as fast as possible to catch up to the vanishing shadow, Freya gives Setsuna a quick nod before following the figure. Taking out her weapon now trying to run and catch-up, the recent terrain made it hard. The storm brewed larger and the ooze got thicker and deeper. Freya would not give up though before she knew that the moment she did, she too would be consumed by this almost Tar-like substance. After catching up to the figure she was following, she saw the shadow again. With a gleam of red from her Scythe, she manages to swipe with multiple gashes through the air. It looked like it hit the shadow but she couldn't be sure. "Setsuna over here," Freya calls out to let her know she found the shadow with another player at toe with her.

Battle: 10, Vanity reasons
Initial Roll Value: ID# 178613 results: Loot: 16
Giving/Receiving: N/a
Final Roll Value: 16

Edited by Freya

So he wasn't alone on his ascent. Partway through, he'd spotted a figure moving at just about the same pace he was, if not but dexterity in their steps. A lightness (still?) on their snowy white mantle, and that swirling yellow crystal -- he'd seen it before.

His strides quickened, splashes barely making waves through the slough pooling at their feet. Though the cover he wore had lost its value, he wondered if the other's carried the same tell-tale enhancement, eying their form up and down. Nondescript. As he'd expected. And yet there was some sort of allure to finding another of these constructs out in the wild, as his mind raced to process his thoughts.

"You too, huh?"

"--Hm?"

They turned as the duo walked, and neither the lightning nor their cloak would betray a trace of their origins. As it were. As long as they weren't hostile. Daemien was nothing but curious to their disguise -- or lack of it, trotting along after them as the rain continued to pour upon them, relentless.

"Caught in the poor weather. There's safety in numbers, or so I've heard."

A hum from the stranger, as they faced the climb ahead. "Can't see anyone else but you and I around. You should be looking out for yourself, too."

ID: 178620 | LD: 6 | Escaping the Storm.

Cold, that was all that Ozwald could feel after having himself freed from the inky black liquid that seemed to almost be alive, squirming to pull players under the water. Ozwald held on to his dearly beloved like his life depended on it, this was already the second time that the inky sludge had almost pulled him under its surface, and that was one of the most terrifying things he had ever experienced, the closest that Ozwald had come to his life both in this game and in the real world coming to an end. Ozwald walked with Valentine and Aquan following them to another group who was calling for Players to band together and leave Nimbus in order to climb to higher ground and he completely agreed with that notion. He followed along the two men accompanying him leaving the woman who saved him behind, not knowing if she would be joining the trio.

Spoiler

ID# 178636

Initial Roll Value: 14

Giving/Receiving: N/A

Edited by Grimm Reaper

Aquan took a moment to take a deep breath and close his eyes. He kept his body moving enough to keep the dark shadows off of him, but the stimulation from the visuals was getting to much in order for him to keep an analytical brain. "Okay," He began, his mind finally getting time to work again, "Buildings are not safe, not moving is not safe. If we begin to climb we will have the ability to move to higher ground and escape the flooding. However we can only climb for so long. After that point we need to protect each other by fending off these weird shadow creatures. With the players I see combined we might stand a chance, but if people begin being lost to the shadows, we do not have much of a chance of survival. We need to climb."

As he said those words, he heard a call over the storm from a woman, yelling to climb the mountain. "Okay, players are going to the mountain." He finally opens his eyes and turns to Jevi, Grimm, and Valentine. "We need to climb the mountain. If we can have strength in numbers, we just might be able to safe ourselves and the others. I agree with Jevi, find anyone and everyone that we can, and get out of here."

He began to drudge through the rain, following the sounds of voices and calls from other players. He spotted three players [ @Lessa @Mishiro @Alkor ] and began waving and calling to them. "Hello? Can you hear me? Got four more players over here! We're on our way over!"

@Valentine@Grimm Reaper@Jevi

Spoiler

ID# 178637

Initial Roll Value: 12

Final Roll Value: 12

Edited by Aquan

Valentine was feeling a little overwhelmed mentally. He was trying to keep it together but trying to keep track of what was happening around him was hard. He was practically hanging on to Grimm as he moved. Refusing to let the guy go for fear of loosing him to the black sludge all around them. It was crazy that Valentine barely had time to worry about himself or process but he could still make sure Grimm was safe.

"I agree we have to move on now. If we stop there is no guarantee what could happen. If we team up with other players we have safety in numbers." As the group made it to group up with another group of players the numbers swelled. "I suggest we all try to travel together." Valentine was not sure if his words were heard or carried of by the sound of wind in rain. Talking was becoming an issue as long as people were not bundled together.

Spoiler

ID# 178641

Initial Roll Value: 11

Giving/Receiving: 6 to @Grimm Reaper

Edited by Valentine

So the NPC had managed to elude MISERY, deriding the Player's strength as minuscule and not worth bearing as a threat. If only he knew the sort of twisted machinations such a decision wrought.

"Take your breaths now, while you can," MISERY mused as the fiend made his escape, sprinting back out into the palpable blackness of the storm. As MISERY moved to chase him, he found his movements sluggish and difficult. It seemed that the puddles around his boots had grown rather attached to him - literally.

"Curious," MISERY breathed, wrenching his appendages from the obsidian quicksand. "What twisted being could have such heinous influence at a level like this? Is it an event? I've never experienced anything like it."

So far, it had been easy enough to resist. But after having only stood in one place for such a short amount of time, MISERY was surprised by the grip it had managed to hold against him. As the storm raged on, it would become harder and harder to overcome. Though, that was likely the point. 

Nobody was making it out of this alive. Cardinal had finally decided to swallow them whole.

Spoiler

ID#: 178640
Initial Roll Value: 6
Giving or Receiving: -
Final Roll Value: -

Shion looked seeing that Koga still was on guard, guess she was not the only one that didn't like any of this. As Koga asked what he looked like she got right to the point, or at least her point. "Taller than me, kind of a jerk, Purple hair. Really like to show off. always wanting to help and being way too friendly with everyone, In short... well yes the complete opposite of me and I hate him for it,"  she said sounding a bit angry as well now. Shion sighed and nodded, "He holds a rapier as well, Tier 3... So he should be alright... but yea ... you never know,"  she said to him really sounding a bit guilty, and looked down at her feet for a second.

She then looked around a bit and looked over the NPC and player that were there, hey at least she was a few people here and there. A group seemed to have gathered down below where the water was still rising up as it was coming up. " Idiots, don't they see the water is swallowing the whole area," she said with a low growl as she looked a bit deeper into the village. Then she pointed at a house, "There, I think I see him,"  She said pointing at the house that was almost completely gone, as she pointed there was a glimmer of hair running over the roof.

@Koga

Spoiler

ID# 178667

Initial Roll Value: 18

Final Roll Value: 18

Edited by Azhoda

Where her knees should have knocked against solid ground, she found nothing but the cold bottomless depths. She was sinking, deeper into the water than she would have thought possible, and it took a fraction of a second too long for instinct to take over her disbelief. She kicked her feet to stay above the surface, but the void already had ahold of her and it only sought to take and take and take—

Until someone grabbed her hand and the invisible force vanished.

Mishiro didn't need any further prompting; she immediately returned the woman's vicelike grip and found her footing shortly after. Hauling herself up with the help of her anchor, the girl gave an involuntary shiver as soon as she reached the safety of the higher ground. 

"Th-thanks," she breathed, glancing at the player a second time. 

...Lessa? 

She pulled at the edges of her coat so that it wrapped tighter around herself — the crystal she'd been using as a light earlier was gone, long devoured by the shadows, and her thoughts wandered back to the initial downpour, and the jet black of the rain Claude had gathered in his palm. 

What would happen if a player was lost to the tide?

"It doesn't look too deep, but it's like quicksand." One step back. Reassess. Rarely did she do so out loud, but now she was in the company of other players and the storm left little time for formalities. "And the water only gets deeper the further into the settlement you go, so the teleport plaza is no longer an option. Do either of you have anything left to do here? I'm going for higher ground outside of Nimbus, but I can stay and help — if it's only for a little while longer."

178668: LD 9

The ever rising levels of black rain were disconcerting on many levels. Katoka didn't have time to focus long on these feelings, she had people to evacuate. As she led the party of NPCs and players into the mountains she saw the rising pools of dark liquid even here. Maybe even this wasn't high enough. Taking the mountain path she continued to trek, staying in the field of view that the glowing crystals provided and within sight of the party. The rocks were slick and the path was turning into a disgusting mud slop beneath her feet. The winding mountain pass began to shrivel into a emaciated cliff face before them.

"Watch you step!" she called back to everyone, "The path is narrowing and getting slick!"

Looking back to Elora who was not far behind she stepped out into the rocks before her to continue. That is, until she heard a gasp of surprise. Katoka's head whipped around to see her green headed companion mid fall, having lost her footing on the ichor covered rocks. The samurai's body reacted without a second thought as she grabbed Elora's hand and pulled with all her strength.

The elven woman dangled for a moment as Kat pulled her up to safety on the path again. "Please watch your footing, I can't loose you like this." she pleased with her friend as she gasped for breath.

Spoiler

ID# 178676

Initial Roll Value: 15

Giving/Receiving: Giving Elora 1

Elora did her best to shepherd the stragglers of their party by gesturing forward with the length of her spear. Traversing the rugged path in such severe conditions made it nearly impossible for her to maneuver around its obstacles quickly and safely at the same time. Thankfully, she was already beginning to close the distance between her and her friend. It wouldn't be long now until they'd be able to walk alongside each other again. That was, until, underside of her boots lost their traction against the ground below. The slippery surface of the sludge-covered bedrock soon sent Elora teetering backwards. Insidious tendrils curled outward, twisting and clambering up the length of her calves as she started to fall, their appendages intent on dragging her into darkness.

Her hand reached out in search of something to save her, her mouth opening only enough to utter the faintest plea for help. Her fingers brushed against the warm skin of another hand as it curled and clasped around her own, yanking her forward and free from her deadly fate. Elora fumbled toward the small samurai until she fully regained her footing.

"Sorry", she sighed raggedly with relief, "I'll be more careful from now on. I think everyone else in the village has made it out alive" Elora allowed herself to state this knowing full-well that it was not the truth. Now was not the time to mourn the dead. They needed to keep moving. 

stuart-kim-stormvalley.jpg

Spoiler

ID#: 178687
Initial Roll Value: 4
Giving or Receiving: Receiving 1 from Katoka

Edited by Elora