[PP-F24] Enmity <<Date NIGHT>>

To: Hidden, NIGHT

Hey, would you guys meet me on the Twenty-Fourth floor this morning? Thank you!

Hidden stirred from sleep as a message rang out. She stretched a moment, noticing he morning light pouring into the room as she opened her violet eyes. She sat up, rubbing her eyes before staring into the mirror that was sitting across from her bed. She cringed away from the mess of a girl that stared back at her. Swinging her legs off the bed, she would begin to make herself a little presentable for herself before resuming investigating the entity that had awoke her from her slumber.

'A message from Yuki? The twenty-fourth floor? I wonder if she found another dungeon there.' It was still quite early in the morning so she made sure to step down the stairs quietly as to not wake Ayame. The little girl would spend a portion of the day alone, so the longer she was asleep the less likely she would be to get herself into trouble. 

She awaited Yuki at the entrance to the city, her figure adorned in black clothes. Her dagger sat strapped to the underside of her left arm, her shoulders the only part of her body that revealed her body's skin besides her face. A sleek dark matte outfit hugged her figure, serving as both clothes and armor. 

Zajcica: Hey, would you guys meet me on the Twenty-Fourth floor this morning? Thank you!

It was strange to receive a message from her peppy friend all of a sudden -- specifically and especially with no motives nor intentions attached. The player, curled up in blankets could only look at the message with a faded vision and a want to return to her rest, but it would do her well to avoid her bulwark's ire, especially with the player not faring especially well in her mental state as of late. NIGHT pressed herself close to her sheets, savouring the last of her comforts for but a minute more, before willing her figure to stand by her bedside.

—Her leg had cramped up, and she near tumbled in the process.

There was no need for a change of clothes that deviated from her every day norm. Also, it wasn't as though NIGHT had a variety of clothes stored away at the moment (Cardinal knows she wouldn't even be able to saunter into a store to ask for something that wasn't plain or practical). As dull as ever, she'd step off the teleporter, hands stowed away in her pockets, and it was only at the sight of the white-haired individual that she knew where her destination was.

No words. Just a shuffle towards Hidden's location. There wasn't a need to exchange phrases with the other, especially not when the assassin had thought so lowly of the trickster in the first place.

The girl's violet eyes would slightly darken as she caught sight of the dark-haired woman walking towards her. Hidden chewed the inside of her mouth for a moment, averting her gaze from NIGHT. 'I should have known she would be here. I didn't even bother to check the other recipients.' 

Quick as possible, she shot NIGHT another look. The girl's eyes revealed no ambient activity in her mind. While she was physically present, NIGHT appeared to still be in the process of waking up. "Good morning." Hidden would offer up plainly, breaking the silence between the two female players. Hidden's voice didn't reveal the resentment she felt inside. NIGHT was her replacement in Yuki's life. Why would Yuki even bother with a weaker friend such as herself? It was surprising that she had kept her around for this long. It wouldn't be much longer before the Pink Paladin realized that she no longer needs the moody girl that hung around the back. As long as NIGHT was around, she wasn't needed at all. 

Hidden crossed her arms, breathing a sigh. Her eyes glanced towards the ground as she muttered, "Just waiting on Yuki now." 

"Good morning." 

How funny. NIGHT figured herself to be the peppier one between the two.

"Morning."

"Just waiting on Yuki now." 

"Mhmm."

Closed eyes, the woman facing the direction of the teleporter. She figured that if their tank was to show up soon, her voice alone would be enough of a trigger to get her to return back to her surroundings. In the quiet between the players, the woman let herself wonder, sifting through the images of comfort in her own home if nothing but to cherish her relaxation a little more. How lovely it would be to linger in her sheets for the rest of the early morning, only retreating out from underneath them in the heart of the afternoon.

It was only when she'd cracked open her gaze out of mild curiosity that she realized just how much time had passed ever since their arrival. And still no sign of the spunky paladin herself.

What gives?

As always, NIGHT was quick in her responses and short on words. No conversations would arise as an almost uncomfortable silence grew between the two. Both of them were here to support their friend, but when the friend in question hadn't arrived.... It was awkward to say in the least. Taking yet another glance at the other girl, she would find the girl to stand with her eyes closed. If she wasn't aware of having just spoke she would wonder if she had fallen asleep exactly where she stood. 

Hidden didn't find herself in the same position of bliss. She took a seat on the ground, holding her knees as she impatiently waited for Yuki to arrive. Several minutes of silence passed before it was interrupted from the low rumble of the silver-haired girl's stomach. Wincing from embarrassment, she would take a glance at NIGHT to make sure she hadn't heard that. The girl hadn't taken the time to shove something into her mouth before leaving the house. 

'Hurry up, Yuki. I am not sure how much more of this I can possibly handle.' She thought to herself, eyes now trained on the teleport gate. 

A correction -- something else stole her attention away from the clock, and it was the growl of something inhumane, emanating from beside her.

Was the assassin hungry?

In truth, during the scurry towards their designated location, NIGHT barely had a moment to scarf down something homemade with her housemate's guidance and care on the line. A granola bar was all she had for the morning; enough for the player to last through an expedition, but nothing more. She opened an eye to look at the other woman.

Hidden was definitely trying to be discreet for sure. What for?

Even after a few more moments had passed, no further signs of the bulwark were revealing themselves to the duo. An exhausted exhale came from NIGHT just as she pulled up her interface, checking to see when Yuki had last been spotted online.

She couldn't be bothered sparing her company a glance. "You can get something to eat while we're waiting, you know."

• 3 weeks later...

"You can get something to eat while we're waiting, you know."

An embarrassed look unseen by NIGHT would appear on her face for a moment. 'She heard that?' Biting her lip, her attention would turn towards the city. There were some vendors within, it would take a bit of time to sneak by the guards. 'If I leave from this spot, I might miss Yuki.' Another grumble of her stomach resonated with the area. Defeated, she would would huff to the other girl, "Fine. Try not to forget about me when she gets here." 

Her words sounded sarcastic in Hidden's typical low tone but they voiced her feelings. Why would Yuki wait for her when NIGHT was right there? She was easily replaced and then she would have lost the only friend she really had. The rest of her "friends" she basically bullied into the job. She wasn't sure if she could trust most of them anyway. She waited for the day Crozeph turned on her. 

The girl activated her Vanish ability, entering the Settlement unseen. From there, she perused the food stalls in search of one that she wanted to buy from. 

If there was one thing NIGHT hadn't expected, it was for Hidden to suddenly go ghost right in front of her. Granted, the orange cursor hadn't bothered her any, but unused to the inflexibility of the system, she watched as her companion's overhead drift further into the city premises in temporary shock. 

The woman glanced towards her mail with a grumble, once she'd recovered. There was something genuinely off about their meeting; the simple fact that Yuki hadn't even notified them of her lateness was one of them. And stay as she might, it occurred to the player that a simple act such as purchasing food might become a problem had Hidden stepped out of the stealth.

How troublesome. This was truly the issue with orange players.

"Try not to forget..."

With clenched teeth, the knight pressed on after her team mate. Though Hidden was intent on keeping as such, NIGHT was hellbent on not letting the assassin out of her sight.

Zacjica hadn't been seen online since a few hours before.

Uncaring of the fact that NIGHT followed her into the city, she continued her search for something to eat. Of course, she by no means intended on getting into trouble with the guards by speaking to NPC's. Enough trial and error told her it was impossible. Finding the nearest player-owned shop, she made one last look at NIGHT before stepping inside. Once inside, she ditched the shadows and revealed her features once more to the public eye. 

As the door closed, the bell on it would give its second ring. The owner of the shop took a glance up at Hidden as she stepped forward towards the counter. "Welcome to Elite Eats, home of the El-" Noticing the color of her cursor, the player took a step back. "Uhhh... how did you get in here?" 

With no change in her facial expression, the silver-haired girl simply replied in a low-tone, "I'm hungry." She stopped in front of the counter, violet eyes staring forward. "Ma'am you aren't supposed to be here." The girl rolled her eyes, shifting weight to her right side and crossing her arms. "Just get me something to eat, I'm even going to pay." Biting her tongue, she would sigh before forcing out one final word.

"Please."

The look her team mate shot her was nothing readable from her distance, and the tailing player grumbled, taking her paces right behind the other woman as she'd disappeared into its confines. Her vicinity wasn't littered with yellow cursors -- but then that begged the question to NIGHT: who the hell owned a shop on the twenty-fourth floor?

No one she knew, apparently.

"Ma'am, you aren't supposed to be here."

And it didn't seem as though Hidden knew them, either.

NIGHT brushed but a bit of her fringe backwards as the doors closed behind her, just in time to watch Hidden appear to need to beg for food. It was a deserted restaurant; the darkened atmosphere and unpacked seats by the edges of the room only told her this was but normal for the establishment, even as time drew closer to regular opening hours, according to her knowledge of the lower floors. But of course, this had to be the norm for facilities up on the higher echelons of the tower. It was a wonder enough why someone would want to keep out of the way of discerning patrons.

Hence, they would be more than likely to get less-than-satisfactory visitors. Like Hidden or NIGHT.

"Just get me something to eat, I'm even going to pay."

A rudimentary pause. The witness arched a brow.

"Please."

Well, at least the assassin was pretty when she begged.

"It's on me," the green-cursor added, stepping up beside her companion. A hand slid into her tracksuit's pocket, NIGHT tilting her chin upwards slightly, eyes narrowed towards the store owner. "Sorry this idiot here doesn't know the first thing about manners. Part and parcel of the warning sign."

The orange crystal above Hidden's visage continued to spin.

"I'll double down on your prices for the meal for our trouble." The player was doubtful, but it was a better way to persuade the chef if they had the idea to claim otherwise. "We'll make this short, so get us a table at the back. Pull down a blind while you're at it."

"It's on me."

While she hadn't been surprised that NIGHT had followed her into the shop, it did confuse her that she would speak or even offer up help. This look of confusion was cast back at the girl. Before she managed to say anything, the two continued to speak as if she was some animal.... Or perhaps a pet. 

"Sorry this idiot here doesn't know the first thing about manners. Part and parcel of the warning sign."

She bit her own tongue at the insult, allowing the two to continue their conversation. Uneasily, the shop owner nodded as if the appearance of NIGHT made the situation better. "Alright, but if you two cause any trouble, I'm getting the guard you here?" The boy pointed to the seat in the corner, one of the furthest from the front doors. He then continued to close the shutters to conceal the presence from the windows. Following the instructions laid out for them, the silver-haired girl would seat herself inside of the booth. The owner of the shop would move into his shop without even coming to their table. 

'Seems like he doesn't plan on taking an order. Is he just going to make food and bring it out or something?' 

When NIGHT would seat herself across from her, her eyes would train themselves on the table in front of the both of them. "I didn't need your help if that's why you followed me here. I could've gotten the food on my own." She wasn't sure how she appeared in NIGHT's eyes but she was certain it wasn't how she wanted to be seen. She was sure the girl hated her, the glances she received were never too welcoming. 

"I can pay my own half... I'm not some helpless nobody that can't even pay for her own food." Was NIGHT treating her like a child? Like she would treat Ayame?

No menus, no orders taken. NIGHT wasn't too much of a fussy eater, but she did wonder what sort of restaurant they walked into, not having taken notice of the store's exterior when she was tailing her companion. Just as Hidden slid into a seat, so too did NIGHT take one on the opposite side of the booth. And a clatter of something rough on the table from the green player -- when she pulled away her fist from its surface, a dim light was unveiled, the tiny glow stone making up for the blinds by their side.

"I didn't need your help if that's why you followed me here. I could've gotten the food on my own.

"Seemed otherwise to me," the woman stated curtly, glancing around the rest of the room for a better examination of their premises. "Is talking to players that much easier than talking to NPCs? I doubt it. Even if you seem to think so."

"I can pay my own half... I'm not some helpless nobody that can't even pay for her own food."

The player raised a brow, just as her gaze returned to Hidden. Helpless nobody? Despite her protests, the girl really did seem like it. "Yeah," NIGHT shot back. "Pay for a meal fit for two people on your own. Sounds like a good use of your col, especially for someone who has to spread it so short." Her sights then fell to Hidden's side -- she'd been half expecting a weapon there, in the same way she used to cart around her greatswords on her back. "Don't you use a dagger, too? Unless you're planning on mugging bougies, there's a better bet I'd gather more money than you could in an hour. Keep your change."

NIGHT's eyes didn't ever seem to meet her own, but instead traveled around their surroundings. However, that didn't stop the girl from quickly spouting passive-aggressive retorts. "Easier to talk to people? No. It isn't easy talking to anybody. I'm not like Yuki. Simply when dealing with players, they aren't coded to recoil from you because you're orange." So many people gave her shit over a simple color. She hadn't even murdered anyone without it being out of self-defense. 

NIGHT's comebacks did not come back in a kind light either. The words the girl spewed were weapons and while they did no real damage, Hidden almost felt as if they did. 'Really? Not only am I being ridiculed for my cursor color, but now my weapon?' 

"Fine then, if you really insist." She said quickly, her face reddening as she became upset. Not only was this girl going to take away one of the only people that accepted her for her, she was going to put her down as she did so. "For your information, despite what you think of me I don't walk around mugging and murdering everyone I see."

The clattering of plates interrupted their talk as the shop owner returned from the kitchen. His face was obviously pale as he slid a platter to each of the women. He bowed slightly before saying, "Enjoy." The boy then scampered away, leaving the two alone with a plate consisting of a cheeseburger and fries. 'Isn't this more of an American style of food? Odd.' She lifted the burger to her mouth, taking a small bite. It was good she supposed. 

A plate with a cheeseburger and fries. That was all their breakfast consisted of.

What?

In truth, NIGHT had expected something much more flavorful; had the store owner been sharp in charging them for the most expensive item on the menu, it would've been doubled in price. But c'est la vie, if the gears of fate were to decide she would spend less this morning. A reach for a singular fry, and NIGHT bit into it just as tension hung low upon the players.

"You know," the player finally returned, "No one said anything about murder."

"--But I'm sure you're still aware of the disdain about that eyesore." A wave of her fry towards the orange, before NIGHT took another bite of her snack. "I doubt you'd only lasted this long with that reckless attitude of yours. Carry that over into negotiations, and it's little wonder you couldn't headway into that conversation earlier. Honestly. You could afford to be more careful."

One last munch. The woman contemplated taking another piece from the platter.

"It definitely isn't easy talking to people though. I'll give you that much at least."

The silver-haired girl reached forward, grabbing the burger that had been placed in front of them. There was a moment of silence as they ate in silence, but NIGHT would speak again. Hidden would keep her eyes eyes trained on the other girl, an almost scornful look within them. 

"I'm not getting rid of it until my bounty is removed. I already spoke with one of the people from the APD, but it doesn't seem the 'protectors of Aincrad' are proactive." She didn't let all of her thoughts slip on the organization, but NIGHT could hear the venom dripping from her words as she spoke about them. "Most shop owners don't give to much of a fuss, as long as I pay like any other customer. Just happened to get unlucky this time." 

Placing her now half-eaten burger back onto her own platter, she would almost mimic NIGHT when it came to munching on fries. She hadn't seemed to touch the burger the boy brought her. Maybe she was a picky eater? Or didn't like to eat. 

She gestured to the spinning cursor over her head. "Got this for making the wrong choice in a quest." Her voice was low and reproachful, showing that she regretted her decision. "All the trouble this game gave me for this:" She dug into her inventory, materializing a small golden ring. Placing it in front of her. "Technically it is a demonic item, but two slots are completely useless to someone like me." 

Placing another fry in her mouth, she would avert her gaze from NIGHT to stare and poke at her food. 

"The excuse me?" Since when did Aincrad have a police department? NIGHT definitely hadn't seen any players in uniforms of blue parading around the castle during her year of progress. More than less than proactive -- they were practically non-existent to the woman by this point. A few more chips went devoured before she spoke up again. "Likely story. On a day you have company, no less."

"Got this for making the wrong choice in a quest."

Again, with that reckless attitude...

Hidden revealed the perpetrator behind her curse, and NIGHT gave the ring a suspicious look. As much as she'd wanted to examine it, her instincts told her it wasn't ideal to do so -- and a quick window appearance was enough to tell the player why. Soul bound.

She'd keep the tidbit about the quest locked away in her mind. But her eyes narrowed at the disconnection between 'the police' and an ill-gotten questing mistake.

"If it helps," the woman started once more, turning her plate around to better access her spread of fries, "I doubt there's any more of those goons around now. Not that I'm complaining about the mark, mind you -- that's still on you to make a decision on when and where to resolve it."

It didn't seem NIGHT understood the APD much. "Eh, you probably haven't heard of them because they've been silent for a while. They follow underneath the command of a player named, 'Hestia' who hasn't been seen for a bit. Same can be said about the player known as 'Itzal'. Essentially, they got a vision for Aincrad and any who don't follow it:" She took her thumb and slid it across her throat. "Basically just some self-righteous players who use their level and influence to make my life hell."

"Likely story. On a day you have company, no less."

"I'll admit, there is usually a little bit more... 'convincing'." 

Another moment of silence would fill the air between the two, as they slowly ate their food. Hidden thought their conversation had ended, but sure enough NIGHT continued again. "The problem isn't really the APD anymore. Its the stupid bounty that some players like to think is going to be paid out. It isn't even that much, but some players are just in it for the challenge. Of course, they're looking for the wrong description at this point. I also can't be tracked anymore."

She sighed, once again picking up what remained of her burger. "One day, it will all be worth it though. Then, this world will realize it misjudged me." That would only happen when Laughing Coffin had been destroyed thanks to her efforts. Adrian was still a card in her hand, even if it had sat there so long the world had begun to forget she had it ready to play. Mari thought that she could be accepted just by acting and playing nice. That would only work on a few people and being nice wasn't Hidden's strong suit. 

"I've decided to get it changed when I can go through a day and not have to worry about being attacked. I only get one redemption. If I waste it... its over."

"I'll admit, there is usually a little bit more... 'convincing'." 

Hidden earned another scoff from the woman for that one.

More discussions about an organization that probably didn't exist any more. But all NIGHT had to offer to Hidden's revelations were nothing but a raise of her brow and a shift of her posture, the player seemingly more bored than usual with her shift. "The bounty. That a defunct organization would hand out. Which would mean the bounty is, just like its owner, out of commission." The longer fries were being cleared out with larger bites now, the woman unable to help feeling a little impatient with the point of the account delivered to her.

"One day, it will all be worth it though. Then, this world will realize it misjudged me."

How haughty. She couldn't help but wince at the behavior, too used to it coming from a face other than her companion's to better sweeten the deal. "Right. Then you'd be better off waiting for the 100th floor before storming out of Aincrad. Though I doubt anyone's actually interested in having anything to deal with you -- especially in a harmful regard."

NIGHT's mocking tone in her expressions and voice were almost far too obvious. Hidden rolled her eyes, sitting back in her seat. 'Why am I even dealing with her? She is so full of herself.' She opened her inventory. No messages. 'Of course, maybe Yuki would have just sent her the message. She's the important one right?' 

Throwing away the past conversation and ignoring what NIGHT had to say she would suddenly say, "Has Yuki sent you anything? Its almost hard to believe she hasn't shown up or said anything." Her thoughts traveled of Crozeph saying that Yuki was his girlfriend. Internally shuddering, she wondered if he had to do with anything in her absence. Maybe she could find something out from NIGHT. 

"So, you are friends with Yuki. And Crozeph called you up that one day. Where did you all meet exactly?" Her eyes seemed to show interest, even if only for a second. It was hard to look enthused in front of NIGHT. It was like looking in the mirror at a better version of yourself. Looking at your replacement. On the other hand, maybe keeping some awkward conversation going would push time a little faster. 

The burger was saved for last.

"Yuki's probably asleep by now," NIGHT stated, only barely perturbed the way her gaze settled on the bun of her meal. "Check her away time. Not sure how that message got sent to us other than a scheduling issue, but..."

The bite told her its patty was scrumptious. The bread less so, but the cheese that was served with it made up more for what the components on their own lacked. Between the vegetables, the player settled for reading Hidden's passive demeanor, only frowning slightly when the assassin began to show interest in her relation with the tank and her spouse.

First thing she'd been asked, and it was about their friends. Go figure.

"Does it matter? I could ask the same for you, too." NIGHT returned, pausing in between takes of her food. How her companions found someone thorny and kept them around for long was but a mystery to the woman. "Avalanche, then. Yuki a little before that on a Nature's Treasure hunt. Not sure how she came to know Crow, but they seem to work together well."

"Not my place to pry into their relationship, though."