[PP-F1] Sword Shop Online?

The first floor was hardly premier in terms of shops. Vendors lined the main thoroughfare and were smattered across the landscape almost at random; but few of them carried weapons that Alkor could actually use to great effect. At the very least, not anymore. He was stronger by far, so only the top swordsmiths in Aincrad could act as his armorers. 

That didn't stop him from perusing. Aesthetically, some of the shops boasted gorgeous and exotic wares. They were worth indulging in visibly, if not dropping top dollar for. He kept his hands in his pockets as he window shopped, much to the chagrin of some eager entrepreneurs. 

"Hey buddy, no malingering. I've got customers who actually wanna buy things from me."

"Yeah?" he asked, amused. "Where at? I've been here ten minutes and haven't seen anyone else."

The man's face turned a bright shade of pink as he clamped his mouth shut. Alkor offered him a wry smirk. "Maybe you'll get lucky with the next customer?" he suggested, not particularly helpful. 

"...whatever, dude."

The bell atop the door jingled cheerfully, ushering in a sweep of cool air, and a woman dressed in white. The moment she entered the shop, Kyra felt as though she had stepped on-stage. Twin gazes bore into her expectantly, and despite herself, the player felt a blush creep up her pale cheeks. "Ah, hello," she managed after a moment's hesitation. With a hand sheathed in a sleek, snow-white glove, she gave a small wave. "I apologize if I'm interrupting... something." Kyra's polite smile never waved, though her glacial blue eyes tracked between the men. An NPC and a player? Based on the latter's gear, he certainly did not need the items offered by the former. Then why would he patronize such an establishment? 

Pausing to brush back her tumble of thick hair, Kyra gestured to the door with a small nod of her head. "I only had a couple of questions, and I can easily take them elsewhere if you're busy. I don't mean to impose."

"Oh, no, you're good," Alkor took a step to the side and gestured for the woman to go ahead. "Go right ahead."

The merchant almost looked relieved when she arrived. His expression changed into something more positive, even excited. The prospect of a sale must have really been euphoric for him. "Yes, yes, how can I help you?" the proprietor asked with his hands clasped together in front of him. "I have just about anything you could want, and if I don't, I can certainly get whatever it is you're looking for."

Alkor quirked a brow. This man's business acumen was programmed incredibly high, and his customer service really showed for it. The stark contrast between how he spoke to the darkly dressed swordsman and the newcomer was uncanny. "Swords, spears, sabers- you name it, I have an answer for you."

He blinked at that. Preprogrammed responses were great for people who knew what they were looking for. Did she? He couldn't tell, though her equipment was low level at a glance. "If you happen to have any questions about weapon skills and sword arts, I can try to answer them," he interjected. The shopkeeper shot him a glance, but as what he offered might help with the sale, he did not readily object. "It can be tough to choose the right equipment. Sorry for assuming based on your equipment, I don't mean any offense."

Edited by Alkor

Eyes widening, Kyra regarded the NPC with an expression of bemused puzzlement. Was this man selling weapons, or used cars? He was certainly pushy enough to be successful at either, if he didn't drive his clientele away first. "I appreciate that," she piped up when he paused for a breath. "But I admit, I-" And there he was, speaking again. Good lord, who programmed these merchants? Was said programmer this rude, or did they just have a sick sense of humor?

When the chestnut haired figure spoke up, she flashed him a grateful smile. "I appreciate that," she said once more, this time addressing the fellow player. "The truth is, I'm actually not here to make a purchase. I really did just have a few questions."

Kyra did not need to turn to see the shopkeep's change in demeanor; the soft tch, and the shift in his energy, told her everything she needed to know. "Apologies," she tossed over her shoulder, before focusing again on the young man. "You, however," she began, gesturing to him with a single finger, "have nothing to apologize for. Assumptions are natural, and, frankly, yours is apt. I've yet to make that choice, and today is not the day, I'm afraid. I'm here for information." As amusement came into those striking blue eyes, Kyra said, "Two of my students found themselves in a pretty lively disagreement this afternoon. One insisted the war hammer dealt more damage, while the other insisted it was the battle axe. I was curious if you might shed some light, so I can settle this dispute once and for all."

Edited by Kyra

Students? 

Alkor tilted his head. If the woman was some kind of teacher, had she met her real world students inside the game and taken responsibility for them? What a strange thing that would have been. No, he decided, she must have meant something else because she immediately started talking about game mechanics. A schoolteacher would never focus on something so trivial. She wanted to settle an infantile argument between two gamers she called her "students." 

He was immediately interested in the situation.

"Honestly, it's a moot argument," he told her. "The Warhammer is a hard hitting weapon that focuses on single target damage and can inflict stun, while the Battle axe can do similar damage but to multiple targets but it lacks the status effect. An argument could be made that the axe overall deals more because it effects more targets I guess?

Alkor preferred Swords. He would always use them, but he made himself knowledgeable about other weapon types because it made him more aware of what his allies could do. ChaseR was probably the one who gave him the idea, but he was the one who actually folded it into his strategies. The other man just wanted to know what made him stronger personally. There was nothing wrong with that, though. 

"Without the technicality, though, neither one of them is better than the other." he shrugged. Alkor felt inclined to ask more about the situation and why she went out of her way just to solve the problem, but it didn't seem like any of his business. "I hope that helps?"

• 3 weeks later...

The amusement only intensified as she listened to the swordsman's reply. By the time he had finished, a small smile quirked her coral lips. "It does help," she answered, "as I had no idea where to begin to answer the question. My knowledge of weaponry is rudimentary, and only so much can be gleaned from reading beginners guides. This has been incredibly informative." Now the expression sharped into something more akin to a smirk, and she added, "Though I'm afraid 'neither of them is better than the other' is not going to satisfy a couple of disgruntled pre-teens. I'm quite certain a bet was made over this particular question, and both will be disappointed to learn I can't declare a true winner."

Before the man might misinterpret her words as a complaint, she motioned to him with a gentle wave of her hand. "I still appreciate the thorough explanation. I always enjoy learning more where my knowledge is lacking. Can I do something to thank you for your troubles?" A sideways glance at the items on the shelf caused her to speak again. "I'm afraid I can't afford this man's items, but I could spring for a cup of coffee."

"Ahahaha, you're probably right," Alkor smirked as he ruffled the back of his hair. It was odd for someone to ask him for help at all. He had some friends and they asked to quest from time to time, but this was different. "Maybe you can make something up." He gave a quick shrug as the Shopkeep sighed and went back to his business. Neither one of them was going to buy anything, and now they were loitering? Bah! Alkor turned back to the woman as she offered her thanks. 

"Oh, uh, I don't really need anything he's selling anyway, but I appreciate the thought," he said as the man gave a verbal snort to the slight. Alkor ignored him and offered the woman a more genuine smile. "I'm not really a coffee drinker, but I could go for some hot chocolate. I'm sure that's about the same." In reality, he missed days when it got blistery cold and he could indulge in a nice warm cup of cocoa. The last winter had gotten fairly cold, and he spent a few nights doing seasonal quests. Even built a snowman at one point. "But honestly, I wouldn't mind just... talking or something. It can get lonely when you're leveling up without a party." 

It was supremely out of character for the boy who had first logged into Sword Art Online to ever want to reach out to anyone. But Alkor wasn't that kid anymore. He'd grown, he'd made friends, and he had extended his comfort zone far beyond where he ever believed it could go. The man who got punched in the face for not recognizing why Bahr was upset with him now had empathy for others; and he wanted to protect them genuinely. He wanted to know how he could help them, and how he could forge bonds with them. Even when it hurt, even when he didn't know what to say or do, and even if he was powerless: Alkor would never give up again.

"I'm Alkor, by the way," he said as he extended his hand in greeting. "It's nice to meet you."

Kyra chuckled at the man's suggestion, the sound a bit more throaty than was fitting for her soft, almost fragile appearance. "I make a point to never make things up," she countered, "unless I've made that fact very clear. While a little creativity is always welcome, I've worked with far too many who have lying down to a science." With a quick wave of her hand, she dismissed the notion. "I would hate to give them anymore encouragement."

The shopkeeper's gaze bore into her, twin lasers that might burn a hole if they set too long. Even as she appreciated the character the NPCs portrayed, she offered the fellow player a nod. "Hot chocolate would definitely serve the same purpose," she answered. Then, with a conspiratorial smile, she confessed, "I've never been much of a coffee drinker, either. But I have found it to be a decent ice breaker. It's pretty rare that I find someone else who doesn't care for it, especially in my line of work."

The smile remained as the boy spoke of loneliness, but a keen new interest sharpened her gaze. Of course, it wasn't as if Kyra had spoken with many high-level players, but none had spoken so candidly of such troubles. As curiosity and sympathy mingled, the woman delicately plucked at the fingers of her gloves. Once she had freed her finger-tips, she slowly withdrew her right hand, extended it to her new acquaintance. "Kyra," she replied. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Alkor."

Once he had freed her hand, she withdrew it, and slipped it back into the silky glove. "Now, do you have a favorite place to get your hot chocolate? Even after all these years, I really haven't branched out too much. I can't speak to the best hangouts around here."

"Honestly, I don't come down to the First floor as often as I used to," he admitted with a laugh. "It kinda gets away from you, with all the grinding and leveling up, and..." he hesitated to say much more; if he admitted to knowledge of the Frontlines or battling Floor Bosses, how would she react? The woman didn't seem to be familiar with the harsher aspects of Aincrad.  She didn't even know the first thing about weapon skills. Alkor didn't want to unintentionally flex. "...well, you know."

The probability that she didn't know was high, but it wasn't really relevant. Instead, he shifted gears quickly and latched on to the topic at hand. "But when I used to haunt the Town of Beginnings, there was a quaint little dive near the edge of the residential area that made a nice hot drink in a pinch." He neglected to mention their menu included harder and heartier things as well, because his own proclivities were toward those. It wasn't what they were going for, though. "How about I show you the way there and we can let our friend here get back to work?"

The shopkeep seemed relieved to hear the conversation head in that direction, but he didn't chime in.

"It sounds like you have it pretty rough," he said finally. "People in general never really were my strong suit, so I wouldn't have the first idea about how to solve that problem you're having," Alkor explained as he slid out the door of the shop and held it open for her. "But with the protocols that deal with emotional distress offline, we really can use someone to help out with that kind of thing. You're doing important work," he praised.

"I don't know, actually," she corrected gently, a wry smile unfurling as something akin to sheepishness darkened her expression. "I know very little about how the game is meant to be played, nor the best way to do so." With a slight nod, Kyra thanked Alkor for holding the door. Then she tugged her glove on once more, a movement so practiced that it appeared robotic. "I have profound respect for those who fight on the frontlines. Were it not for them, there would be no hope of escaping this place. But I am limited to only reading about their efforts. My existence in Aincrad has been quite a bit... tamer." It took a few seconds before she settled on the word. "Not entirely unlike what I did at home." Another pause, and then she added thoughtfully, "Though at the same time, completely different. I suppose it's just one more layer of complexity. Nothing can be easy here, can it?"

Though Kyra matched Alkor stride for stride, she allowed herself to be led away from the heart of the city. Likely, she had passed their destination before, but never ventured inside. Even if the woman had not frequented many establishments, her boots had likely tread every inch of pavement in the city. Allowing her body to roam as her mind did. Some habits died hard. 

"It isn't too rough," she replied. "I know that when a person lies to me, I am not the true recipient of the deceit. They are, in fact, lying to themselves. I'm simply a conduit. Whether intentional or not, guiding that person to their truth is the first step in solving all problems." Though the air was cool, it was not the only cause for the rosiness in Kyra's cheeks. "It's all quite fascinating, and immensely rewarding."

• 2 weeks later...

Aincrad had taught Thom some of the harshest lessons in his life. When he began his journey upward through floors, he thought to play a part. Alkor sought to see his way through the game as an avid role player, set apart from his actual persona and engaged with the scenario in totality. It began to slip the moment that the stakes were raised. The people he met weren't just faces behind a computer screen anymore. He wasn't just able to disassociate himself from the pixels. The avatar had become his flesh and blood, and if he was not careful, this world would be his tomb.

Something about her rhetorical question jogged those thoughts. They hadn't stirred recently, but now they burned and stung. He wasn't the same person who logged into Sword Art Online. The experiences he had in this world had fundamentally shaped him as a person, and in no small way brought him to appreciate the life he had. Unlike before, he had a reason to want to survive. He didn't just want to clear a path for the others. He wanted to see what was on the other side of it for himself.

Thom wanted to get there, and to truly live. 

"...it's not easy," he replied, "but it ain't all bad, either."

A cryptic answer for a cryptic question. Fairs fair. "That's a real funny way to look at it," he said honestly of her belief that a man lying to her face was only lying to himself. "But I can definitely tell you haven't seen the darkest side of this world yet. That's a good thing. I hope you never do."

There were some horrible people trapped in the game with them. Alkor had met some of them, and even brought his blade to bear on them. At least one life had ended as a result. He still felt the weight, even all these years later. Somehow, he knew that he would always remember. Still, he had grown from it. Good had come of it, and there were people who would live on and tell their own stories because someone else's ended. Deceptive, destructive people were bad for themselves, but Alkor believed that they were also bad for others. Or at least, they had the potential to be.

No person was inherently good, just as no person was inherently evil. The ones who were, though- he believed they had to be stopped.

"I'm definitely glad there's someone who thinks different from how I do," "because that means that there's always potential to find good in people. If it were my call to make, I don't think I'd look past the bad. This world needs more light, because so many of us are stuck in the dark."

They arrived in a few more steps, Alkor gesturing to the sign. He pushed the door open and held it for Kyra. "Here we are," he announced.