[PP-22] Clues to Corventhol [Intermediate Dungeon]

He'd spent hours scouring through bits of data and poking at the drained blood crystal he and Raidou had recovered.  So many sub-dungeon maps still remained to be explored, and he was running low on time.  Perhaps a more clandestine approach would work better?  But who to ask?  Firm Anima had resources in abundance, but skill sets were a different matter.   Only one people came to mind, but she was aloof and he'd had little success gaining a read on her during their past encounters.  Maybe it was time to change that.

To: @NIGHT

I have a lead on the true leadership behind the Sundered Spire, but require someone with your talents to help me pursue it.  The raid is pending, but this information could be vital to others, should the worst happen.  Can you spare the time?  If so, please meet me in Coral.  I'll fill you in on the details. 

If not, please let me know.

Thanks

Freyd was in the main plaza outside of Coral an instant later.  There was some convenience to the guild hall being on this level, and also no shortage of danger.  If only people knew how many dungeons sat, mapped, beneath their very noses.

Let them have their illusions, janitor.

"Agreed, Montjoy.  Agreed."

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:183/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91

Freyd Consumes:

Spoiler

Intermediate Dungeon Map #165889

Fiery Dragon Roll | T3 Mit 3 | 170924-2
Liquor of Light | DMG 3 | 173047
Viperion | T3 Tox.Ven [24/2] | 155281
Creme Brulee | ACC 2 | 171544
Smores | EVA 2 | 171542
Berry Crumb Bars | LD 3 | 172798
Breakfast Fry | Protein 2 | 172351-2 (+ Filled)
Field Rations +2 | T3 OH (+120HP) - [http://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/19871-f13-merchant-freyd-edges-safe-zone/?do=findComment&comment=623998]

Full Stat Breakdown:

Spoiler

Name: Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 84
HP: 1710/1710 (+120)
EN: 183/183

Stats:
Damage: 20 (+3+3)
Mitigation: 79 (+45-45)
Evasion: 2 (+2)
Accuracy: 4 (+2)
BH:85 (+6)
VAMP OFF:171 (+12)
HLY:6
FLN:6
LD:5 (+3)
(T3 Tox. Ven [24/2])

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T3-2HSS, VO 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Night Shades (T3-Trinket, ACC 3)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 4]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Parry [Obtained]
Energist [Obtained]
Charge [Rank 5]
Extended Mod Limit R3 [Obtained]
Hiding [Rank 5]
Martial Arts [Rank 4]
Quick Change [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival
Meditation

Mods:
Precision - 2HSS
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity - 2HSS
LA Sprint and Acrobatics
Night Vision
Vengeful Riposte
Surprise Attack (Assassin)

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*5
Gungnir Shard: Haniel's Modesty (T3 Perfect HP Rec [Instant]*5
Flash of Rejuvenation (Mass HP Rec [Instant] (+30*Tier HP)*5
Fruit-Infused Tea (T3 HP Recovery)*5
Imugi's Inspiration (T3 Mass HP Recovery)*5
Mega-Duper... Sauce (Antidote 3)*5
Grave Injustice (T3-2HSS, ACC 1, Keen 1, Abs. ACC)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Kumatetsu Statue: +1 Base Damage for a thread

Wedding Ring: n/a

The missive from Freyd had given her pause.

There were two reasons to this.

The first was her belief of distance from the reaches the player's expeditions and investigations, NIGHT knowing little about the the organization and its activities despite it brought up in passing during her conversations with her allies. Since information about the group hadn't been funneled directly to her, she'd treated it as a minor inconvenience to her daily activities and nothing more. Meanwhile, Sherlock here had been out on a full hunt on the trails of some malevolent actor or another. The truth is, she couldn't care any less about playing Watson.

The second lied within her judgement of the user behind the message. A glance to the flash of gold by her side was more than enough to reinforce that worry -- but it was her making the approach, not her double. No reason to be fraught with concern when she was fronting, NIGHT tried to reassure herself.

Mayhaps she might gain some answers as to why ChaseR dictated him enough to be a threat.

NIGHT: 5min

True to her update, she'd tucked herself into Coral's folds with a step off its teleporter. A half-open granola bar siezed in her hands was but her meal for the hour -- with a grunt, she waved over to her contact, other hand stuffed into familiar tracksuit pockets.

H9Vmxgn.png

| NIGHT
  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 179/179 

| ACC: 6* | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 

| PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 

| Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7

* [Filling] used to provide +1 ACC.
[Examine]

| equipment

• Cosmic Devourer
    -- [ Paralyze I | Natural successful attack rolls of 9-10 remove the enemy’s action on their next turn. Paralyzed opponents lose any evasion properties. ]
    -- [ Absolute Accuracy | +1 ACC. Attack rolls of 1 no longer automatically miss. ]
    -- [ Accuracy I | +1 ACC. ]
  • Reinforced Black Tracksuit
    -- [ Mitigation I | +54 MIT. ]
    -- [ Evasion I | +1 EVA. ]
  • Silver Crescent Necklace
    -- [ Accuracy II | +2 ACC ]
    -- [ Evasion II | +2 EVA ]

| battle-ready inventory

• Jack's Executioner
    -- [ Burn I | Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 deal 36 unmitigated burn damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. This effect does not stack, but can be refreshed. ]
    -- [ Blight II | Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 deal 72 unmitigated blight damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. This effect does not stack, but can be refreshed. ]
    -- [ Bleed I | Natural critical attack rolls of 9-10 deal 36 unmitigated bleed damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. This effect does not stack, but can be refreshed. ]
  • [T2E2] [ref] Marche Funèbre (1) | Instant | LULLABY I
  • [T3E3] Cold Brew Coffee (3) | HP RECOVERY III [+180 HP]
  • [T1E3] Imugi's Inspiration (3) | Instant | MASS HP RECOVERY [+30*Tier HP]
  • [T1E3] Teleport Crystal (1) | Instant | TELEPORT

| skills

Skills

Mod Count: 8/8

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 5/5
    Ferocity, Precision, Finesse
  2. Light Armor | Passive | RANK 5/5 
    Athletics, Sprint&Acrobatics
  3. Searching | Passive | RANK 4+1/5
  4. Hiding | Passive | RANK 5/5
    Blindside, Vanish,
    Surprise Attack: Trickster
  5. Extended Mod Limit | Passive | RANK 3/3 
  6. Battle Healing | Passive | RANK 5/5
  7. Energist | Passive
  8. Quick Change | Active
  9. Charge | Active | RANK 5/5

Extra

• Survival | Passive 
  • Concentration | Active -- CD: 3
  • Familiar Mastery: Fighter | Passive | RANK 3/3

| consumed buffs

Spoiler
  • Kumatetsu Statue | +1 DMG

• [T0E3] Liquor of Light | DAMAGE III
  • [T1E1] Super Speed Fancy Asian Cheetos | EVASION I

| misc. buffs

Spoiler
  • Dimensional Backpack, Item Stash
    | +2 Battle-Ready Inventory Slots.
  • Well Rested
    | -1 EN for the first three expenditures of each combat. 
  • Relaxed
    | +(5 * Tier) HP per out-of-combat post. Full energy restoration occurs after two turns out of combat.
  • Squeaky Clean
    | -25% DoT damage taken from the first DoT applied to this player in a thread.
  • Skylight: Searching
    | +1 Expertise to declared utility skill. Cooldown of 30 days to reassign.
  • Multipurpose
    | +1 LD/Prosperity/Stealth/Detection to one post per thread. Can be applied after a roll.
  • Filling
    | +1 T1 slot to a food consumed by this player in a thread. Can exceed Cook enhancement caps.
  • Col Deposit
    | +5% col from loot-minimum mobs, +10% col from treasure chests.

Freyd leaned casually against a nearby bar, steaming, vanilla-scented coffee cup in hand, covering most of his face as his cowl kept all but his eyes concealed.  He waved back as the familiar black track suit approached, somewhat surprised and unaccustomed to seeing her wander about in plain sight.  For some reason, he thought that this would make her uncomfortable.  The simple truth was that Freyd didn't know where he really stood with this woman.  She had been a seemingly random benefactor when he first started out, and had helped him out facing off against Gatsly's venomous warg scam.  She had been so far beyond his skill as to be virtually god-like by comparison.  He'd referred to her as one of Aincrad's most capable sword fighters during a recent exchange with ChaseR, which had seemingly stunned his companion.  But, he'd fought at her side in the Halloween and Easter dungeons and still held it to be true, though the mystique might have dulled a bit now that he finally understood how all the magic worked.

Perhaps her demeanor was simply more like his own: a professional façade that kept the public and personal very much separate.  That seemed more likely.  She also 'hung out' with ChaseR, at least in the blue boy's words, which could either mean that he clung to her like a puppy or that they were actually friends.  If it were the latter, their recent clash could complicate matters.  But she had shown up, which-

Now you're just complicating things.  Say something nice, and let's get on with this.

Montjoy's pragmatism cut through what could have become an endlessly looping set of analyses to good effect.

"Hey.  Thanks for coming."  Calm and courteous were a good place to start.  "Do you need anything before we go?  I'd rather not discuss the technical details with so many ears around."

His fingers took bets on how many words he'd get in response.

"No."

Her word had been issued in between munches. Nothing like a curt response to get themselves down to the point. She knew better than to waste her companion's precious time -- just as things were likely developing on the opposing faction, so too was Freyd probably more than ready to take the next steps in earnest. His progress thus far in the case -- whatever it was -- and preparation for any questions she might have had seemed to prove her evaluation true enough.

But nothing so far about the man screamed danger. At best, the largest threat between the two would be the coffee -- and only if it was boiled to an infamous degree to preserve its heat. And if either of them would be clumsy enough just to spill it. She'd shattered the empty wrapper in her fist, shards floating across the two players in-between, before NIGHT pointing her companion towards the outskirts of town with a nod.

"Lead the way."

The cup and saucer vanished with a thought, as he pivoted and took stride beside his companion, his shadow leaning awkwardly astray as it assessed her gait and other attributes for later review.  Montjoy, like his master, was always astute of such things and served as a backup when Freyd's focus was required elsewhere.  They traveled east, away from the main settlement and in the direction of the Forest of Memories, and stood at least two hundred paces from Coral before he finally spoke.

"Most people are unaware that this city faced a second front in the attack that led to the near-disaster after the Tanabata festival.  It was foiled by the investigation of subtle clues and a great deal of good fortune.  I returned here in the aftermath of the battles below and scoured the woods clean of as many lingering foes as I could find.  They dropped quite a bit of intel on their forces and caches still concealed on this level.  One, in particular, caught my eye."

Freyd's voice dropped another notch as he continued.

"Something about the attack on the Lake of Reflections didn't add up.  For an organization as widespread and careful to conceal itself, the act was too brazen.  These were an internal faction - hawks of the Spire, if you will - but the guiding hand behind the entire group remains unrevealed.  More clues have been found, and I have my suspicions.  This particular cache may hold the answers, but it is well guarded by a most unusual set of creatures.  Their presence is... odd.. to say the least.  Your help was requested because no one else I know can match your talent for discretion."

His head turned, as if listening for something, pausing before returning to his hushed instruction.

"The site in question is due east, just beyond the forest.  Expect... horrors, of the excessively gnashy-toothy type."  His fingers looked like bunny teeth and echoed of a certain Monty Python scene.  "We'll need to wipe the site clean, but a stealthy approach would be best."

Freyd activates Vengeful Riposte (-5 EN)

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:178/183 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL

What, was the information intended to be interwoven with compliments? No sense in buttering her up.

"We'll need to wipe the site clean, but a stealthy approach would be best."

And here she'd expected to batter out her enemies, no strings attached. 'Horrors of the excessively gnashy-toothy type' only spelled but monsters to her, not like the army that greeted them upon the fall of the Lake of Reflections. It called into question the need for stealth, then. "If they're not human," NIGHT started, eyes brushing across the canopy, a calmness upon the woodlands in stark contrast to the devastation occurring around the rest of the floor. "Then what's the danger of a brash approach?"

The pause between her words was but the gears in her mind shifting, before she scoffed, her stray conclusions offering miniscule amusement. "Don't tell me it's some sort of human experiment. The kind overseen by some head scientist with an unfortunate amount of low-level security systems to keep its subjects in check."

"The Spire wants evidence of this place wiped out.  While this hellhole may follow prescribed rules for the content of sub-dungeons, it doesn't prevent other mobs from setting up camp around it.  My reports indicate a sizable contingent of Spire agents blockading the entrance to the cave we must enter.  Sizeable enough to bring grief in quantities that could exhaust our energy reserves."  He paused to give his gloves and cowl each a good tug, his void-like blade having appeared in his hands somewhere along their walk.

"The Spire's has its share of goons, but they also know how to used them, especially against nosy players.  My guess is that they can't actually enter the cave, not having the required map, so we should be safe from them once inside.  As to the actual occupants of the cave?  I doubt it will be so cliché as you surmise, but the creatures within aren't native to this floor and harken back to 'elder days of Aincrad', whatever that actually means.  If they're what I think they are, they're mostly teeth and maw and claws, and rather unpleasant to have gnawing on your limbs." 

His briefing ended, Freyd simply turned and vanished eastward into the darkness, where their shared party status limned him to her sight.

Spoiler

Activates Hiding

ID #180557 | LD 14+5=19 (Success)

NIGHT took his immersion to the shadows as a signal to follow suit, nothing but fragments eating at her form once she stepped over the boundary between light and dark. Silent though they should be, the weight of the encampment around this singular dungeon was something she still felt the need to be discussed. A large enough squad that wasn't enough for two near-cap players to wipe out in time spelled trouble -- but mostly, it was their apparent 'helplessness' at the situation that bothered her agency even more.

"So you think it's less of a coincidence," she unveiled, giving some thought to what creatures might be caught within the hold. Monsters taming other monsters? A questionable sort of dynamic, especially to entities that didn't fall within the same family or habitat. "We might as well just run the whole third tier ragged at this rate, if quality and quantity is what they're after."

Spoiler

ID: 180558 | LD: 7 + 7 = 14 | Entering Stealth.

"I think their boss knows that there's another clue in that cave that points to her identity and true location.  I've seen the creatures I'm expecting once before, and never elsewhere.  The Spire has no control over Cardinal, that I know of, and struggles within the same constraints of the system as we do.  They're just savvy enough to know that it is a system and to have some awareness of how it works.  As powerful as our sword arts might be, they still run on a form of fuel.  And when that fuel runs out, players become vulnerable."  Signaling for greater vigilance, he motioned to a clearing ahead, just beyond the bounds of the forest.  A full company sat encamped before the cave mouth,  bearing no obvious livery, but composed entirely of dark elves - a telling sign.  

Noting a heavy branch that could serve as an outrigger to get them over and behind their foes, Freyd started the climb and beckoned NIGHT to follow.  The guards were bored, and had likely been here for weeks, if not months.  They had grown sloppy, and were less diligent in their watches than they should have been.  The pair had no trouble entering the cave mouth beyond, undetected.  

Both instantly felt that a threshold had been breached.  Natural stone turned into intricately carved blocks, each roughly half a meter to a side.  Fine glyphs covered every inch of exposed surface in a font that neither player recognized.  What had been a cave mouth soon turned into an oddly tall tunnel, roughly two meters wide and triple that in height.  The place seemed apt for really skinny giants.  Instead, what they found was a writhing mound of pinkish, sinewy flesh covered in eyes and teeth, which Freyd promptly laid into.  Judging by the look on his face, his expectations had just been confirmed.

Spoiler

Maintain Stealth (ID #180568 | LD 14+8=22 - Success) - Chittering Horror #1
Maintain Stealth (ID #180568 | LD 1+8=9 - Failed.) - Chittering Horror #2
Maintain Stealth (ID #180568 | LD 4+8=12 - Success) - Chittering Horror #3
Maintain Stealth (ID #180568 | LD 9+8=17 - Success) - Chittering Horror #4

Freyd activated Charge

Calamity Disaster (x12 AoE, +6 from hits): 18 EN - (Rested 1st of 2, Finesse 3): 14 EN

ID #180559 | BD: 1 (miss).  Freyd misses Chittering Horror #1.
ID #180560 | BD: 4+6-1=9 (hit, Charge +5).  Freyd deals (12*31=372) damage to Chittering Horror #2.
ID #180561 | BD: 3+6-1=8 (hit, Charge +5, Assassin +5).  Freyd deals (12*36=432) damage to Chittering Horror #3.
ID #180562 | BD: 8+6-1=13 (hit, Charge +5, Assassin +5, Fallen +6).  Freyd deals (12*42=504) damage to Chittering Horror #4.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:164/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL
NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 179/179 | ACC: 6* | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7

[0,0] Chittering Horror #1 | HP: 770/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0
[1,0] Chittering Horror #2 | HP: 398/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 (770-372)
[1,0] Chittering Horror #3 | HP: 338/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 (770-432)
[1,0] Chittering Horror #4 | HP: 266/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 (770-504)

Chittering Horror.jpg

Wasn't that the same with all system entities, though? At least, the ones that were sentient, anyway. The vague thought that crossed the player's mind hadn't even registered as being niche details, owed only to the privileged of those having studied Cardinal constructs up close, and yet the distinction Freyd had made sat strangely upon the forefront of her mind. How could it not have been common knowledge, by now?

Acrobatics aside, past the boundaries of the dungeon, it had been only a handful of seconds that had passed before--

"--What--"

--NIGHT wanted to retreat home. Immediately.

No real human was ever intended to have observed such a creature, the pit in her stomach reassured her with a grip more painful than teeth sunk into her virtual flesh could ever rouse from harm. Gaping maws too many, and squishy eyes, yellowed from tire and infection; the writhing thing hung with too many appendages and too enthusiastic a greeting. NIGHT didn't even think twice to have swapped her blade in her discharge of energy, but it aided their party anyway -- her blade's warmth was enough to root the unspeakables where they were, pulsating with eagerness to press against the restraints of their meshes, all too alive and raw for the woman's liking.

"Okay, okay okay."

Exasperation leaked out of every breath she took from there onwards, a hand covering her eyes since the darkness wasn't polite enough to have shrouded the beasts from view. "Freyd, what the hell did I just hit, and exactly how long do we have until we get out of here?!"

Spoiler

ID: 180564 | LD: 20 + 7 = 27 | Stealth maintained. [Surprise Attack: Trickster] coming into play.

ID: 180563 | BD: 8 + 6 = 14 | <<Calamity Disaster>> vs Chittering Horror #1.
ID: 180565 | BD: 4 + 6 = 10 | <<Calamity Disaster>> vs Chittering Horror #2.
ID: 180566 | BD: 8 + 6 = 14 | <<Calamity Disaster>> vs Chittering Horror #3.
ID: 180567 | BD: 3 + 6 =  9  | <<Calamity Disaster>> vs Chittering Horror #4.
The strikes land! (-16 EN)
23 * 12 = 276 DMG | 276 * 0.5 = 138 DMG

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:164/183 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL
NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 163/179 (-16) | ACC: 6 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7

[0,1] Chittering Horror #1 | HP: 200/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | PARALYZED | (338-138)
[1,1] Chittering Horror #2 | HP: 632/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | PARALYZED | (770-138)
[1,1] Chittering Horror #3 | HP: 200/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | PARALYZED | (338-138)
[1,1] Chittering Horror #4 | HP: 128/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | PARALYZED | (266-138)

Freyd was... laughing?

"I'm pretty sure that's the longest single sentence you have ever actually said to me."

Samael's Pride flares with holy light in his hands, striking a stark contrast with the colour of his garb as it seared its way through the first two... whatever the heck these were.  

"Is it the mess?  Maybe a texture thing?  I don't recall you being quite so squeamish in the Easter dungeon, and I was positively covered in chocolatey goo during that run."  As embarrassing as it was to admit, he somehow seemed to end up in such states in nearly every dungeon run.  Three times facing Hel with the same sludgey results came to mind.  The things writhed, trying to avoid his blows, which was even creepier given how their gums and teeth flexed along with the rest of their flesh.  The words 'carnivorous, semi-liquid bean bag' kept popping into his head, as a way to describe them.  And they made this horrible squelching sound when they died, as if they somehow unleashed a sinister death-fart just before they popped open into fractals.  Given that they had nothing but mouths... butt mouths... eww.

Their numbers dwindled down to one before Freyd called out a warning.

"Two more, from above!"

Both crashed to the floor with equally disturbing, yet different squelching sounds.

Spoiler

Calamity Disaster (x12 AoE, +8 from hits): 20 EN - (Rested 2nd of 2, Finesse 3, Turn Recovery): 15 EN

ID #180573 | BD: 9 (Crit +1, Holy +6).  Freyd deals (12*33=396) damage to Chittering Horror #1.
ID #180574 | BD: 10 (Crit +2, Holy +6).  Freyd deals (12*34=408) damage to Chittering Horror #2.
ID #180575 | BD: 5+6=11 (hit).  Freyd deals (12*26=312) damage to Chittering Horror #3.
ID #180576 | BD: 8+6=14 (hit, Fallen +6).  Freyd deals (12*32=384) damage to Chittering Horror #4.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:149/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL
NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 163/179 | ACC: 6 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7

[2,1] Chittering Horror #1 | HP: 0/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | PARALYZED | (200-396)
[3,1] Chittering Horror #2 | HP: 224/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | PARALYZED | (632-408)
[2,1] Chittering Horror #3 | HP: 0/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | PARALYZED | (200-312)
[2,1] Chittering Horror #4 | HP: 0/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | PARALYZED | (128-384)

Chittering Horrors #5 and #6 arrive.

Loot Rolls:

Loot Chittering Horror #1 (ID #180690 | LD: 9+8=17 | CD: 5)

2425*Col
4*T3 Materials
T3 Rare Consumable #180690a
T3 Rare Armor/Shield180690b

Loot Chittering Horror #3 (ID #180691 | LD: 5+8=13 | CD: 6)

4042*Col
2*T3 Materials
T3 Rare Weapon #180691a
T3 Uncommon Consumable #180691b

Loot Chittering Horror #4 (ID #180692 | LD: 16+8=24 | CD: 1)

4042*Col
2*T3 Materials
T3 Perfect Trinket #180692a
T3 Perfect Weapon #180692b

"I'm pretty sure that's the longest single sentence you have ever actually said to me."

Like it mattered!

"Is it the mess?  Maybe a texture thing?  I don't recall you being quite so squeamish in the Easter dungeon, and I was positively covered in chocolatey goo during that run."

Maybe it was a better question as to how and why her party member wasn't in the least bothered by the mess of insides, gorged inside out and mutated into a viscous repellant heap. She searched for the right words in her head to adequately define the creature, but NIGHT had always been awful with names. Nothing seemed to be clicking, except for the gnashing of teeth and squish of sticky pink plopping down from the ceiling; the player barely cracked open her eyes and the gaps between her fingers covering her vision to notice their new adversaries.

One glance was all she'd needed, blade working fast to sunder a portion of their health bars down from green.

"Sorry," she barked back, edging backwards as the sloshing noises continued to echo in the void ahead of her. "I wasn't aware you were made of candy this whole time, Freyd. You should've told me."

Spoiler

ID: 180577 | BD:  7  + 6 = 13 | <<Calamity Disaster>> vs Chittering Horror #2.
ID: 180578 | BD: 10 + 6 = 16 | <<Calamity Disaster>> vs Chittering Horror #5.
 | 23 + 2 = 25 DMG | 25 * 12 = 300 DMG
ID: 180579
 | BD:  8  + 6 = 14 | <<Calamity Disaster>> vs Chittering Horror #6.
The strikes land! (-14 EN)
23 * 12 = 276 DMG

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:149/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL
NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 150/179 (+1, -14) | ACC: 6 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7

[3,2] Chittering Horror #2 | HP: -40/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | (236 - 276)
[0,2]
 Chittering Horror #5 | HP: 440/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | PARALYZED | (770 - 330)
[0,1]
 Chittering Horror #6 | HP: 494/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | (770 - 276)

Loot
ID: 180699 | LD: 22 (17, +5) | CD: 5 | 3,465col, Tier 3 Materials (4), Tier 3 Unidentified Perfect Armor (1), Tier 3 Unidentified Perfect Consumable (2)

"NIGHT!  You disappoint me." The corners of Freyd's lips curled upwards as he spoke.  "I would have thought you'd figured out that I was nothing but a talking amalgam of black licorice and molasses long ago!  You can call me Sludgemaster from now on, if you prefer."

The thin white seal wrapper around his blade receded for a moment, creating a screeching vacuum as it slashed through the next flesh bag-thingy before them.  The holy wards around it re-established themselves almost instantly, leaving only the sloppy, slavering sounds of the sole remaining horror, with its many disturbingly long and writhing tongues.  So gross.

Another shadow fell into place farther down the strange tunnel, obscuring the sole source of light.  A wriggling mass of tentacle-like tendrils whipped around the bulbous floating body of another similar creature, this one adding reach and speed to an already disgusting repertoire of traits.

"Yeah... okay,"  Freyd admitted, his voice turning more serious. "Now I'm actually kinda sorry I asked you to some along for this."

Spoiler

Fred activates Charge.

Calamity Disaster (x12 AoE, +4 from hits): 16 EN - (Finesse 3, Turn Recovery): 12 EN

ID #180580 | BD: 7+6-1=12 (hit, Charge +5, Fallen +6).  Freyd deals (12*37=444) damage to Chittering Horror #5.
ID #180581 | BD: 3+6-1=8 (hit, Charge +5).  Freyd deals (12*31=372) damage to Chittering Horror #6.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:137/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL
NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 150/179 | ACC: 6 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7

[1,2] Chittering Horror #5 | HP: 0/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | PARALYZED | (440-444)
[1,1]
 Chittering Horror #6 | HP: 122/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | (494-372)

Chittering Glob arrives.

Chittering Glob #1 | HP: 1100/1100 | DMG 330 | MIT 44 | ACC 1 | EVA 1

Loot Chittering Horror #5 (ID #180693 | LD: 15+8=23 | CD: 1)

2425*Col
4*T3 Materials
T3 Perfect Trinket #180693a
T3 Perfect Weapon #180693b

Gibbering-Glob.jpg

Here were the differences that NIGHT had noticed, between the initial piles of sinew and the newly introduced ball of questionable, fleshy mass.

1. The new Lovecraftian horror had eyes within its maws.

2. It also had teeth that were not sharp in the slightest. NIGHT didn't even want to think about what the point of such bones were to the creature, as she tore apart another shockwave through the air with her blade, the creature seeming to devour her blast with horrified wails of perplexity.

3. She was absolutely certain that the beast had moss growing upon it. Either that, or it was some sort of new infection that somehow deviated from its lesser, much sturdier and less consumed counterpart of cavities.

The brief spark of fire from her eyes had been all but an accident. So too was the strength behind her blow of light. The player didn't even want to search her vicinity for any trace of the creatures and their health bars; fighting by sound alone was new to her, and it was a route she was intending to stick to, so long as these abominations were to clog up her view -- and then some in her mind.

Who put these in Aincrad, anyway?

Spoiler

Using [CHARGE], [CONCENTRATION] on the following rolls.

ID: 180582 | BD: 4 + 6 - 1 + 1 = 10 | <<Calamity Disaster>> vs Chittering Horror #6.
ID: 180583 | BD: 8 + 6 - 1 - 1 + 1 = 13 | <<Calamity Disaster>> vs Chittering Glob #1.
The strikes land! (-12 EN)
23 + 5 = 28 DMG | 28 * 12 = 336 DMG | 336 - 44 = 292 DMG

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:137/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL
NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 150/179 | ACC: 6 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7 | [CONCENTRATION: 0/3]

[1,2] Chittering Horror #6 | HP: -214/770 | DMG 264 | MIT 0 | ACC 0 | EVA 0 | (122 - 336)
[0,1] Chittering Glob #1 | HP: 808/1100 | DMG 330 | MIT 44 | ACC 1 | EVA 1 | (1100 - 292)

Loot:
ID: 180700 | LD: 6 (1, +5) | CD: 6 | 4,851col, Tier 3 Materials (2), Tier 3 Unidentified Rare Trinket (1)

"Okay.  I take it back  Bunnies and peeps were slightly less gross."

The narrow corridor already made it difficult for he and NIGHT to fight side by side, especially with...

"Are you fighting with your eyes closed!?"  A gloved hand palmed his face. He needed to get a better angle on this thing and only one option seemed to remain open.  Stepping back a few paces, Freyd took a running start then leapt towards the left wall using the textured surface of the strange blocks to gain grip for his feet and find purchase enough to push off.  Doing the same thing, several times, he reached the ceiling and spun to let himself fall blade first, slashing a deep and gurgling gash into the thing's far side, trapping it between them.

"We have it pinned.  Cut it down before more show up behind me."  More writhing shadows and chattering teeth were already approaching.

Spoiler

Freyd activates Charge

Galaxy Destroyer (x13): 13 EN (Finesse 3, Turn Recovery): 9 EN

ID #180584 | BD: 5+6-1-1=9 (hit, Charge +5).  Freyd deals (13*31403-44=359) damage to Chittering Glob #1.

ID (same) | MD: 1 (miss).  Chittering Glob #1 misses Freyd.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:128/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL
NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 150/179 | ACC: 6 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7 | [CONCENTRATION: 0/3]

[1,1] Chittering Glob #1 | HP: 449/1100 | DMG 330 | MIT 44 | ACC 1 | EVA 1 | (808-359)

"Are you fighting with your eyes closed!?" 

Could she truly be blamed for fighting in the dark? "As long as it gets the job done," NIGHT touted back, only peeking through her fingers once her companion had landed his strike upon their lone target. One quick dive towards his location, she put her effort into setting Cosmic Devourer aglow. It was with momentary vision that she'd spun around Freyd's position upon their mark, the woman careful to keep the foul creature out of sight from her maneuver, before she brought down the weapon onto rotten, irritated and overworked flesh.

In her one last look towards the puddle of goop before her, all she wanted to note was that its health was still dangling in the red.

Her feet brought her further into the shadows, deeper down the tunnel; a leap completely necessary for placing distance between her form and the thing she wished not to acknowledge. The gloved hand continued to shroud her eyes, the player keeping an ear out for the other threats that were about to come.

Spoiler

ID: 180585 | BD: 4 + 6 - 1 = 9 | <<Galaxy Destroyer>> vs Chittering Glob #1.
The strike lands! (-10 EN)
23 * 13 = 299 DMG | 299 - 44 = 255 DMG

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:128/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL
NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 141/179 (+1, -10) | ACC: 6 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7 | [CONCENTRATION: 1/3]

[1,2] Chittering Glob #1 | HP: 194/1100 | DMG 330 | MIT 44 | ACC 1 | EVA 1 | (449-255)

A full 180-degree overhead swing cleaved the morbid sphere between them in twain.  The thing splattered to violently upon death that both he and NIGHT were forcefully showered in pink fractal bits that seemed disturbingly more slick and sticky than usual.  Freyd was so busy trying to shake the gruesome bits off that he nearly failed to notice the second glob that had floated up behind him.  His strike came in too low, expecting his foe to actually be standing, and simply swept the air beneath it.  His only comfort came from the fact that it had mistaken its counterpart for the Whisper and flailed at the flying gooey sparkles instead of him.

So, errors made on both sides it seemed, and their situation had somehow reset itself with both of them on both sides of a meaty gumball.

"Uh.  We got another one, though I can see some reddish light in the background.  You can probably work with your eyes open.   Unless you're just squeamish."  A wry grin spread silently under the cowl.

Spoiler

Calamity Disaster (x12 AoE +2 for hits): 16 EN (Finesse 3, Turn Recovery) = 10 EN.

ID #180586 | BD: 4+6-1 (hit).   Freyd deals (12*26=312-44=268) damage to Chittering Glob #1.
ID #180587 | BD: 1 (miss).  Freyd misses Chittering Glob #2.

ID #180587 | MD: 3+1-4=0  (miss).  Chittering Glob #2 misses Freyd.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:118/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL
NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 141/179 (+1, -10) | ACC: 6 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7 | [CONCENTRATION: 1/3]

[2,2] Chittering Glob #1 | HP: 0/1100 | DMG 330 | MIT 44 | ACC 1 | EVA 1 | (194-268)
[0,0] Chittering Glob #2 | HP: 1100/1100 | DMG 330 | MIT 44 | ACC 1 | EVA 1 | 

Loot Chittering Glob #1 (ID #180694 | LD: 4+8=12 | CD: 11)

8085*Col
2*T3 Materials
T3 Rare Armor/Shield #180694a

Squeamish? NIGHT scoffed at the remark. "What gave you that impression?"

Her vision barely caught the light of the tunnel through her fingers. Once she'd seen the familiar red infection mixed with a nasty olive residue, her blade sprung to life. With a few paces, she'd wound around to the back of her opponent, a practiced maneuver by now, careful to keep Freyd beyond her weapon's reach right before she connected her blow. The awful slosh of energy upon teeth and flesh beckoned her to reel backwards, teeth gritted in dissatisfaction. 

"It's not like you fight these things every day," she continued, waving her blade around; it seemed as though she was trying to gesture to her companion, but her obscured gaze and the tip of her blade guided off in broad strokes gave away little of her knowledge for the man's exact location. "Maybe everyone else would react the same in this scenario. And maybe you're just the exception; ever thought of it that way?"

Spoiler

ID: 180592 | BD: 3 + 6 - 1 = 8 | <<Galaxy Destroyer>> vs Chittering Glob #2.
The strike lands! (-10 EN)
23 * 13 = 299 DMG | 299 - 44 = 255 DMG

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:118/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL
NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 132/179 (+1, -10) | ACC: 6 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7 | [CONCENTRATION: 2/3]

[0,1] Chittering Glob #2 | HP: 845/1100 | DMG 330 | MIT 44 | ACC 1 | EVA 1 | (1100 - 255)

"I suppose that could be true, except that I've faced things similar to the non-floaty versions of these before.  The ones like we faced at the entrance.  And I wasn't alone in the previous encounter either.  Given that the other player didn't react nearly so much as you are, the evidence suggests that you're in the minority."  A stray slash from NIGHT's blade forced him to pull back on his thrust against the glob, leaving his point short by a few inches.  The same could arguably be said for his conclusions about her behavior, but he suspected that she was already thinking the same.  The entire business was irrelevant and dismissed with a mental shrug.

"Honestly, I'm more curious as to why these creatures are here at all.  I've only seen them in one other place.  If we find any evidence of a link to the Spire at the far end of the tunnel, I'll consider my assumptions to be verified."

Spoiler

Freyd activates Charge

Galaxy Destroyer (x13): miss (-2 EN) +1 Turn recovery

ID #180656 | BD: 1 (miss).  Freyd misses Chittering Glob #2.

ID #180656 | MD: 6+1-4=3 (miss).  Chittering Glob #2 misses Freyd.

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:117/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL

NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 132/179 (+1, -10) | ACC: 6 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7 | [CONCENTRATION: 2/3]

[0,1] Chittering Glob #2 | HP: 845/1100 | DMG 330 | MIT 44 | ACC 1 | EVA 1 | 

"Tch."

She hadn't expected Freyd to have evidence on hand. Or to have fought these abominations before. But that wasn't the first thing on her mind when she hadn't heard the sound of steel hitting goop after a handful of seconds left quiet in the dark. Another ginger peek, another rush and stab at the sinewy mesh, hoping the extra force she'd poured into her swing would rip its innards apart.

At least its health bar was sitting comfortably in the orange now.

"Weren't they parked outside the entrance, though?" NIGHT continued, shuffling backwards -- she hadn't high hopes for the creature to suddenly step out of line and attack either of them, but it never hurt to be careful. "If they couldn't get in here, it makes little sense why a connective piece of the puzzle would be somewhere they can't reach. Wouldn't it make more sense to find something they were looking to get their hands on specifically?"

Spoiler

Using [CHARGE] on the following roll.

ID: 180678 | BD: 2 + 6 - 1 - 1 = 6 | <<Galaxy Destroyer>> vs Chittering Glob #2. 
The strike lands! (-10 EN)
23 + 5 = 28 DMG | 28 * 13 = 364 DMG | 364 - 44 = 324 DMG

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows | HP:1830/1830 | EN:117/183 | DMG:26 | MIT:79 | EVA:4 | ACC:6 | VAMP OFF:183 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | Tox.Ven. 24/2| LD:8 | BH:91 | VENGEFUL

NIGHT  | HP: 1670/1670 | EN: 123/179 (+1, -10) | ACC: 6 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 5 | MIT: 79 | BH: 83 | PRLYZ: 1 | ABS. ACC | LD: 5 | Stealth Detection: 5 | Stealth Rating: 7 | [CONCENTRATION: 3/3]

[0,2] Chittering Glob #2 | HP: 521/1100 | DMG 330 | MIT 44 | ACC 1 | EVA 1 | (845 - 324)