[OP-F22-GUILD+] Clash of Cold and Passions

Gusts of uncharacteristically cold wind blasted the ruins of the Cratered Lake where its once-reflective surface met the small charred section of the Forest of Memories by its former shore.  Tiny rivulets and streams dribbled down from small springs and other sources that once fed the Lake of Reflections.  Now they meandered down in mucky trails to the gash opened by foul dragon's claws, dripping through the dark, rent chasm left behind.  It was a scar, just like the taint of spite on the ashen husks that once were tree trunks, crackling in the stiff and angry air that whirled around him.  He was a lone figure, standing on the line between blights, each of which his hand had touched and played some part in causing, and he was at it again.  

To: @Eruda and @Raidou

This business with ChaseR must end before it festers further.  I concur with your assessment at the meeting.  He needs a forum to vent, and I cannot be the one to provide it.  Perhaps he will respect you, at least as much as he can anyone, and I trust Mari to listen to you both.  Be gentle.  She is very tired.

Seek what you need.  Raidou can sniff them out easily enough.  Call me in as the situation dictates, but only if the time is right.  This cannot end with us avoiding each other endlessly, but my presence might prove counter to your efforts if I am summoned too soon.  Eruda's neutrality will demonstrate our honest desire for peace and resolution.  Raidou is respected for his reason and acceptance.

I would prefer this hatchet be buried without involving anybody's hide.  There is no benefit to all this blinding rage, and there never will be.

A deep breath drawn and released made itself plain to view, billowing over the translucent message screen that vanished as he sent the dispatch.  The air carried a hint of frost as Coral fell into winter's grasp.  Harsh resolve was in his eyes, again.  It had vanished for awhile.  

'Rolling the dice, are we?'  Montjoy's whispers echoed in his mind.

Freyd stuffed freezing hands into hidden pockets and waited.

'When am I not?'

Vanity Tag: @ChaseR  @Mari

Freyd activates Vengeful Riposte. (-5 EN)

Freyd | HP:1790/1790 | EN:186/191 | DMG:20 | MIT:79 | EVA:2 | ACC:4 | VAMP OFF:179 | HLY:6 | FLN:6 | LD:5 | BH:89 | VENGEFUL

Spoiler

Freyd, The Whisper in Shadows
Level: 88
HP: 1790/1790
EN: 191/191

Stats:
Damage: 20
Mitigation: 79
Evasion: 2
Accuracy: 4
BH:89
VAMP OFF:179
HLY:6
FLN:6
LD:5

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T3-2HSS, VO 1, HOLY 1, FLN 1)
Armor: Skirmisher's Garb (T3 LA, MIT 2, EVA 1)
Misc: Night Shades (T3-Trinket, ACC 3)

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 4]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Parry [Obtained]
Energist [Obtained]
Charge [Rank 5]
Extended Mod Limit R3 [Obtained]
Hiding [Rank 5]
Martial Arts [Rank 5]
Quick Change [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Mastery: Fighter 3
Survival
Meditation

Active Mods:
Precision - 2HSS
Finesse - Rank 3
LA Athletics
Ferocity - 2HSS
LA Sprint and Acrobatics
Vengeful Riposte
Untraceable
Tracking

Inactive Mods:
Vanish
Surprise Attack (Assassin)
Night Vision

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals*5
Gungnir Shard: Haniel's Modesty (T3 Perfect HP Rec [Instant]*5
Flash of Rejuvenation (Mass HP Rec [Instant] (+30*Tier HP)*5
Fruit-Infused Tea (T3 HP Recovery)*5
Imugi's Inspiration (T3 Mass HP Recovery)*5
Mega-Duper... Sauce (Antidote 3)*5
Mourning Frost Bindings (T3-MA, Keen 1, Bleed 1, Freeze 1)*1

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Hard Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt and +1 crafting attempt per day
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Kumatetsu Statue: +1 Base Damage for a thread

Wedding Ring: n/a

Eruda stops what she was doing within the guildhall. A message that she was waiting for had come into view from Freyd to move forward. Taking a deeps calming breath she puts the papers she was messing with back where they were before she starting going through them. Today was the day that she could deal with something big with no violence included. She would do her best to figure out what was needed to put this situation to rest. She didn't want this guild to be divided because of the opposite opinions against one person. Today she would find out what happened from a different perspective. Eruda gathers her things and makes her way out of the guildhall. The forest, a big open area, a peaceful one. Leaning against a tree within the forest she was ready for anything that may occur today as she opens her HUD and sends a message to Chase saying:

To: ChaseR

You do not know me but I am part of the Firm Anima Guild. Freyd has brought to light a situation that concerns the guild dearly. I want to speak with you and hear your side of what happened. I just want to talk, nothing more. Freyd will not be with us. Raidou will be attending and Mari if she can make it. 

Firm Anima was built for teamwork within this game and I don't want any violence within it. I do not care who started the conflict just to resolve it, I am here to help end whatever is going on in a peaceful matter. 

Please meet me. I will send you the location.

With that, the message was sent. She forwards the message to Raidou and Mari both, also sending them the location. She wanted to help and that was exactly what she was intending to do. She remembers what happened with Freya after her Gemini and after feeling helpless in that situation, she wanted to make things right. She stands there against the tree and waits for a response from anyone to come up. Hopefully, Raidou will show up before ChaseR just in case things went south but she would do everything in her power to not let that happen.

Eruda | HP:850/850 | EN:82/82 | DMG:3 | MIT:111 | BLD:24 | TAUNT | THRNS:36 | REC:1 | BH:25 | DoT -25%

Spoiler

Eruda
Level: 41
HP: 850/850
EN: 82/82

Stats:
Damage: 3
Mitigation: 111
BH:25
BLD:24
TAUNT
THRNS:36
REC:1

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Unforgiving Edge - Malice T2: (Bleed 2, Taunt)
Armor: Reinforced Plate - Lily T2: Damage Mitigation 3 (+54 Mitigation)
Misc: Stalwart Defender T2: (Thorns 2, Recovery 1)

Skills:
Heavy Armor [Rank 5]
One-Handed Curved Sword [Rank 2]
Fighting Spirit [Obtained]
Howl [Obtained]
Block [Rank 3]
Battle Healing [Rank 3]

Extra Skills:
Concentration
Familiar Protector (Rank 1)

Mods:
Stonewall

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystal
Ebon Tether - Beauty (+3 Loot Dice)

Vanity Tag: @ChaseR @Raidou @Mari

Edited by Eruda

It was a fair while since the incident, and a long one at that. Not much time had passed, but it certainly felt so. Chase hadn't done anything important or even engaged in combat almost at all, staying most of the days over at Mari's until his cursor turned green again, at which point he left for his own house up in the 21st. And after a few more days of downtime, here he was again. How was he supposed to respond exactly?

723426150_ChaseDBPGlare1.png.4273b48df41e4cd3c1869f2061d7df17.pngReading Freyd's name was enough to make him glare at the message, and the whole mention of Mari being hooked right back into this mess was bothersome enough. That meant he couldn't just ignore them and move on on his own. "The fact he had the gall to even dare bring this up to the entire guild... I see what he's trying to do. Bastard.". With lots of pressure on his back, the bluehead let out a shaky, deep breath, starting to feel angry by the very vivid recollection of what had gone down on the back of his mind. He didn't think to respond to the message, leaving his house and starting to walk on over to the teleportation plaza. "I didn't even get any time to practice maintaining my composure, god...", he groaned and moaned internally, fading away from his home floor and appearing at the settlement only minutes away from the rendezvous. And with no hesitation whatsoever, he began to head right towards it. He didn't notice any Firm Anima members among the crowd, but that could be because he didn't care too much. Knowing Freyd, he'd probably painted him as someone scary, dangerous. Now to hope he didn't worsen things any.

Within a short amount of time, Chase showed up at the meeting point, making out a silhouette from afar- what he assumed to be Eruda's. He remembered her from the monster raid after the Tanabata Festival, but they hadn't ever talked before or after the event. Like so, awkward and stiff as ever, he asked her from a fair few feet away. "... How many of you did Freyd tell?". No greeting, no friendly or chatty mood, nothing. Just a blank stare right her way, with his hands crossed and his right foot quietly tapping the ground every so often.

Spoiler

Name: ChaseR
Level: 83
HP: 1690/1690
EN: 166/166

Stats:
Mitigation: 43
Evasion: 3
Accuracy: 3
BH:84
VAMP DEF:84
PARA:1
HLY:12
HLY BLS:16

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: <<Fragmented Blade>> (T3/Perfect/2HSS): PARA I, HOLY II
Armor: <<Azure Overcoat>> (T2/Perfect/Light Armor): V.DEF I, HBS I, MIT I
Misc: <<Chained Bracelet>> (T2/Demonic/Trinket): EVA II, ACC II

Skills:
Two-Handed Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 4]
Charge [Rank 5]
Hiding [Rank 5]
Parry [Obtained]
Extended Mod Limit [Obtained]
Howl [Obtained]
Extended Weight Limit [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Familiar Mastery: Fighter
Survival
Disguise
Meditation

Mods:
2HSS Finesse [R3]
Precision
Athletics
Sprint & Acrobatics
Ferocity
Focused Howl
Surprise Attack (Assassin)
Vanish

Battle Ready Inventory:
Imugi's Inspiration (Mass HP Recovery)*1
Insta-Life ++ (T2/Perfect/HP REC III)*1
Woodland Armor (T3/Perfect) MIT III (1/3)*1
Teleport Crystal [F21]*1
Gugnir's Shard (T3/Instant/HP REC III)*5
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

[ChaseR activates Mega Slime Farm.]

ChaseR: HP: 1690/1690 | EN: 166/166 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 43 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | HOLY: 12 | PARA: 9-10 | BH: 84 | V.(DEF): 84 | HBS: 16 | LD: 5

Edited by ChaseR

A message received upon floor 23, in the throes of a conflict to an end. Sheathing his weapon and reading its contents he forwards it to Gaius, a palmed teleport crystal and a flash of blue light. Into coral, to which dangling wishes still held aloft and swayed in the breeze. Motives and goals twist and dangle, clashing together in their attempt to fall. But that strand of twine would not let them no, would not give them the opportunity. A subtle walk in soft but firm demeanor, a single word risen above "Everyone, no action is taken without the whole of the guild getting a say. Likewise, I have invited one that I was told held up in your defense. You'd think that everyone was so ready to believe Freyd without question, but there are multiple perspectives and minds in the pot."

The red wanderer reaches for his face, removing a pair of lenses that had just been recently replaced. "Frankly I find it a waste, these squabbles and disjointed fighting among players. I understand that Freyd may have overstepped some boundaries, that not every player is going to see eye to eye. Even I have suffered from the very thing that has you on edge and defensive." Raidou looks to Eruda, a stern look with unshielded eyes. "Thank you for bringing this to the neutral ground where Mari could join us, I'd hate for her to overextend but it may take her some time to arrive."

A flash of green on his iris triggers tracking on her, discerning her location knowing full well that she'd have to travel on foot. Such was an orange marker, a constant torment and trial to survive. "I'll keep an eye on her, I don't want her to put herself in jeopardy for this meeting. I am glad you came, Chase. Just as the meeting prior before a decision is made every voice must be heard." Placing his glasses back to his nose, a glimmered reflection shields his eyes as he takes a seat of his own. Eruda had started this, Raidou would listen.

Raidou activates Justified Riposte, -5 EN (Plot parry go!)

Raidou | HP:1790/1790 | EN:171/176 | DMG:20 | MIT:106 | EVA:4 | ACC:4 | LD:5 | BH:89

Spoiler

Raidou, The Red Wanderer
Level: 88
HP: 1790/1790
EN: 176/176

Stats:
Mitigation: 106
Evasion: 4
Accuracy: 4
BH:89

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Auric Sol - Corona [T3/Perfect/2HSS]: Damage 3
Armor: Red Wanderer's Robe [T1/Perfect/L.A] +3 Evasion
Misc: Tactician's Gaze - Ogma [T1/Perfect/Trinket]: +3 Accuracy

Skills:
Gatherer [Obtained]
Two Handed Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Extended Mod Limit R3 [Obtained]
Parry [Obtained]
Howl [Obtained]
Battle Healing [Rank 5]
Light Armor [Rank 5]
Searching [Rank 5]
Charge [Rank 5]
Extended Weight Limit [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Concentration
Familiar Mastery: Protector
Survival

Active Mods:
Focused Howl
Finesse Rank 3
Athletics
Sprint and Acrobatics
Tracking
Ferocity
Justified Riposte
Precision

Inactive Mods:
Vengeful Riposte
Emergency Recovery
Detect
Bull Rush
Reveal
Stamina

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystal*1
Pillar Fragment [Unique/Glowstone]
Eternal Watch - Tenacity [T3/Perfect/Trinket]: Recovery 2, Accuracy 1
Mass Heal Crystal*5

Housing Buffs:
Well Rested: -1 energy cost for the first three expenditures of each combat
Squeaky Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 25% (rounded down)
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Decor []: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

"who the fuck is Eruda?" Mari asked herself as she glanced at the name. It was a random message, sent from a random person. And it made Mari wary. She didn't like it. Even at the best of times, with people she considered friends - Mari was always very short with her written messages. Mari couldn't exactly explain why, but she very much disliked the entire messaging system. without even opening the message she snorted and promptly deleted the message. She had seen enough bullshit messages from people who she didn't know, who were not on her friend list to know better than to open it. It wasn't someone she knew, thus Mari deemed it 'not important' 

"I'm too tired." Mari breathed with a low exhale, placing a hand against her temple. She didn't know what she wanted lately, but she did know that she didn't want to deal with some random ass person sending her spam messages about some guild.

(Sorry- Mari wouldn't bother with messages from people she doesn't know)

A twist of his head causing his chestnut hair to flow toward a menu that just seemed to ring at complete random without warning. A message forwarded from Raidou. Its contents cause him to exhale sharply. "This shit again." Gaius extrudes waving his hand to force his glaive to vanish, a step forward makes the heavy armor that was adorning simply disperse. As if he took a step out of it.

He wouldn't need it

Leaving floor 6 behind, a journey through the birth of the place just to explore it. It was the first place he got lost, and he was trying to learn how to get around its exterior. A scratch to the back of his head and a twist of his clothes to project his best impression of a businessman. He sucked at this and he knew it. The dude knew that if he was to make a case in Chase's favor that he'd need to look the part and try to keep his cool.

It didn't change how he felt about it.

He manages into the crossing moments after Raidou had, just in time to hear him drop a crap ton of words. "Good, give him a chance to speak his piece. It's easy for everyone to just look at one side of the story and mark someone as the scapegoat. Freyd is effective at what he does, but I've fought beside Chase. He gets meals in my shop from time to time. I've never had a problem with him." Walking past them both and finding a soft patch of grass to fall into, folding his legs beneath his backside and taking a heavy inhale. "That's it, do whatever it is you were doin'." He was trying to remain calm.

Gaius | HP:930/930 | EN:100/100 | DMG:16 | MIT:13 | ACC:1 | H.M.:4 | REC:2

Spoiler

Gaius, Descending Gale
Level: 45
HP: 930/930
EN: 100/100

Stats:
Damage: 16
Mitigation: 13
Accuracy: 1
H.M.:4
REC:2

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Dragoon's Journey [2HAS] (T2/Perfect) Damage 2, Bleed 1
Armor: Dragoon's Plate MK. II [Heavy] (T2/Perfect) Mitigation 1, Heavy Momentum 2
Misc: Assault Division Bracelet: [Trinket] (T1/Perfect) Accuracy 1, Recovery 2

Skills:
Two Handed Assault Spear [Rank 5]
Heavy Armor [Rank 4]
Charge [Rank 1]
Energist [Obtained]
Energize [Obtained]

Extra Skills:
Disguise
Familiar Fighter R1

Mods:
Finesse Rank 3
Ferocity
Athletics
Stamina
Hyperactive

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystal*1
Vocal Augmentation - Resonation [T1/Perfect/Support/Instant] +60 HP*2
Bird Seed (T2/Rare/Snack) Vitality 2*1
Boar Hide Belt [Trinket] (T1/Perfect) [+3 Loot Dice]

Housing Buffs:
Well Rested: -1 energy cost for the first three expenditures of each combat
Squeaky Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 25% (rounded down)
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests

Guild Hall Buffs:

Edited by Gaius

Freyd could sense them gathering, his newly acquired mod sending pings in his direction like vibrations to a spider on a web.  The level of connection it granted across Aincrad was incredible, and immediate cause to remove himself from the map.  Precautions had to be taken, and countermeasures made ready; the pieces were moving.  ChaseR had joined the others.  Good.  That part of the plan had come together.  Mari had not, but he wasn't entirely surprised.  If Orange was in a grumpy mood, she wouldn't want to play, and she'd been very grumpy of late.  A touch of concern followed, wondering if this mess would prove to be the proverbial straw. 

'Nah,' he told himself.  'Mari's tougher than a camel.'

Eyes closed as a black glove pressed against the smooth surface of Coral's portal, following newly-forged instincts towards his destination.

[Action: Freyd uses Tracking to locate Mari, and travels to floor 25.]

"Not what I was expecting."  

He'd never actually visited the Settlement of the Iron Fist before.  Given the choice, he might never again.  It felt like a hole in the ground.  Conveniently, it also looked and smelled like one.  The locals must also be big fans of the Hoya, judging by the minotaur statue looming over everything else from the center of what he reluctantly considered a town.  He'd inspect another time, if he ever had cause.  He sensed that his quarry wasn't far, following the mental strands that honed in on his target.  How the hell had she stayed alive this long if she was this easy to find?  

You know the answer to that.

Now might be a really good time to stick to being my shadow and keeping your mental mouth shut, Montjoy, unless you want to get us both speared.  You know that she'd aim for you first.

Something stank, worse than the rest of the place.  It came from a small bubbling cauldron left unattended by a small camp on the outskirts of the settlement.  Was that supposed to be stew?  A few loose items looked familiar, but Freyd was wary nonetheless.  Everything seemed to fit, especially given how tired she had been.  That likely hadn't changed much, except possibly to worsen.  No new inspiration had struck on how to address that Gordian problem, save the realization that it could likely only be resolved by Mari herself.  He still wasn't really sure where he stood with her, other than her claim not to hate him.  It was hardly the greatest of reassurances, but still significant considering the source.

"Mari.  We need to talk."

@Mari

When Chase heard the voice of Raidou and saw his figure emerge, his hands quickly reached for his sword before relaxing once more. Even if on neutral grounds, he lacked faith in one person more than anybody else- Freyd. Or at least right now he did. And after Raidou came, there went Gaius, the cook. "..."

1959103392_ChaseDBPGlare2.png.8c6b48b25a0d96fe8a95cb25bc3c7338.png"What a pleasant surprise to hear that not every guild member of yours is a sheep. Let me guess, Gaius is one of the other two that doesn't want me out?", his tone shifted to defensive almost right away, starting to feel on edge from the sudden appearance of two more people. Then again, he might have to hold himself a bit until Mari. With a few seconds of silence, his glare softened again and went back to an uncaring glance. "... You shouldn't have bothered Mari in the first place. The only two people to talk about this are me and Freyd. I bet he started lying to you right away about everything that took place. Something about 'acting mature' and 'having restraint'. The sort he forgot to show when explaining this whole fight to a bunch of people unrelated to this.". If there was any malice in his words, it was definitely towards Freyd and him alone. "Before I give you the full story, I want to hear what he said about me.", he demanded with a slightly harsher look again, tapping his foot on the ground silently and letting out a shaky, deep exhale. "Whenever you're ready.".

He knew that Freyd could be absolutely unforgiving when it came to retelling anything- he liked to put others down to appear on top, from Chase's experience. He wanted to make sure he could shatter that barrier, for there was no way Freyd was absolutely honest with his retelling of the events. And after all, he was a prized guildmate. The deck was stacked against the bluehead, not the Captain. Now if only Chase knew Freyd was a Captain too, that'd help lots. At least he took the necessary precautions regardless. All he could do now was play it smart and do his best to resolve this situation.

A perk up as Chase began to speak, screwing with his menu and removing a bite to eat. It had been a bit since his last meal and now was as good as time as any. A tear into a roll within his hands a twist toward the boy once he was finished. "Long story short, dude thinks your lashing out. Claims that you'd do what you did to just about anyone." He swallowed through a stuffed cheek and peeling off another slice with his fingers. "There was a duel request, you call him on his crap and him roping Mari into it. The spook is concerned that you would do it to a lower level player and would kill them. He said that he could have crossed some boundary, that he did something to Mari." One solid gulp, and a look straight at Chase "But he left out what it was he did, that was undisclosed. Only a vague retelling of events, with all the little things that brought it there, left out."

Gaius rubs his forehead for a moment, trying to keep his cool and prove to the others that he wasn't just trying to add more fuel to the fire.

"So kid, nows your chance. Set the record straight, for Just Mari's sake. I've made a few unorthodox duels in my day and I never intended to kill anyone." Gaius proceeds to scratch the back of his head, it had been a while since he'd last seen Mari. A long while. The chick had some issues, but who doesn't. The Dragoon was a bit nervous at the thought, last time she had to convince him to not die to being stabbed but it was all in good fun. He made it out alright, hell he was even thriving since. 

Eruda's eyes glance over Chase and she realized that she did sorta know him or at least the fighting style of him from the time they fought together in the raid after the Tanabata event that took place. He was pretty amazing. She takes a deep breath and takes a step forward.  "Chase, simply put we do not believe Freyd is lying but I personally do not believe he is telling the whole truth. He described events that took place that day and watching you fight that day... I just can't bring myself to understand why. We want to know exactly what happened that day. I want to know why you acted that way. There has to be something more than what Freyd had told us," at this point she had taken another step forward. She couldn't bring herself to believe that the guy who tried so hard that day to protect everyone in the raid, would break down so bad without some other variable involved.

She wanted there to be something more, to understand exactly what happened because Freyd was unable to answer some things. Her mind draws back to Freya and the night after she fought her Gemini... Same concept in her mind of which she was still trying to piece together. She needed to know that there was a reason for the way Chase reacted to Freyd. Maybe just maybe it would ease her mind about her own sister and that night... "Please Chase, I just want to understand..." Her eyes met Chase's at this point with passion and almost desperation in her eyes.

As soon as Gaius had spoken his mind, Chase let out a deep, annoyed sigh. "If I wanted Freyd or anyone else dead, I wouldn't have used my fists and he wouldn't have made it there. He was the one who came fully prepared for a fight though. He was suspicious from me before he even arrived.", the bluehead explained, before Eruda started to talk. And her eyes as soon as she finished made Chase flinch, shivering slightly and softening his expression.

750102584_ChaseDBPSilentGuilty.png.c045aba7d938f91801f01c4380178da4.png"... I wanted him to take me seriously. That's why the fists. Man to man. He owed Mari an apo- Fuck this, here.", he groaned and opened his inventory menu, starting to scroll through heaps upon heaps of garbage before he eventually found an item and took it out, holding it tightly in his hands. It seemed like a crystal, but it was hard to look at it clearly. "Lily is... was my best friend. She's probably still waiting outside. That's all you have to know.", he vaguely tried to give them some context, but it'd make sense soon enough. He quietly looked down at his hand and then at Eruda, before giving Gaius and Raidou a glance too. "I'm going to give you the absolute truth. No lies.", he proclaimed and opened his hand to reveal a recording crystal, with an unlit red button at the very top. He lifted his other hand and tapped it gently with his finger, causing it to start floating above his hand as it began to play. The events from the confrontation had all been recorded right here.

"... It must be on. Mari, I'm going to confront Freyd. For what he did to you. I want him to say sorry and mean it. If I act out of line, I'm sorry. You can scold me later. I don't want to just sit by and do nothing about this- I know it's not my place to but Freyd never stuck well with me. After all of this, there's no way I can let him keep going. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be doing this. But it's also because I want you to be happy... Happier. You keep putting yourself down as if you don't matter. You do. That's it. He'll be here any minute now."

And with crackling and what sounded like the crystal being stashed away somewhere on Chase, a voice could be heard from further away. One familiar to everybody else, even more so than Chase's.

"I'm here, Chase. What is it?"

"Why did you do that? To Mari. I was on the fence about you the whole time. So I was right. Why did you do that?". Steps could be heard echoing from the recording, and Freyd's voice slowly became louder and clearer.

"Why did I do what to Mari?  If you've dragged me out here to toss about accusations, you should probably start with specifics. And why is this a conversation for these depths?  It doesn't exactly reflect well on your potential intentions."

"Mari was sitting right by my sword, crying her eyes out. Because you used her for your fucking experiments. Because you just 'had to engineer your way into oblivion', was that it?! You hurt an innocent person for your own bullshit reasons, just because you had to test your own theories... If that's not it, why the fuck did you hurt Mari?!", the bluehead went on, and as he did, his voice got angrier and shakier.

"You don't actually have a clue what you're talking about do you?  Has it occurred to you that Mari's not exactly in the best of places to express what she's feeling, or what she saw?  Did you think for a moment that a sad and sorrowful person might not be giving you the full picture? I never... hear me... NEVER... conducted any experiments on Mari, though I wonder if you told you about the ones she used to perform on others. You didn't happen to share a drink with her, did you?"

Although the crystal kept on playing, Chase had tensed up, starting to feel overcome with anger once more. He opened up his inventory with a scary glare, starting to unequip all of his items- his armor, sword and bracelet. He stayed only with his vanity clothes, breathing heavily and looking to the side. 

"I went into the Forest of Mysteries after the events at the Battle of the Cratered Lake.  Most people didn't realize it, but Mari, Cordelia and I had foiled a second pincer attack on floor 22 just before the lake gave way.  Stragglers remained in the woods, so I went to hunt them down.  In the process, something happened.  I'm not sure what or how, but a Gemini literally crawled its way out of me and ran amock about the place.  Those woods are tricky, and I had to fight through a number of illusory doubles it created before I could... chase... it down."  And then came a chuckle from Freyd, complete silence from Chase still. "I found it - my shadow - lording over her on Floor 9.  It wasn't pretty, and it got a lot worse.  The details are between Mari and I.  But I never dealt or meant for her to suffer any harm."

"No! I've fucking known you a while now! You liar! Does nothing matter to you?! Take your weapon off. I don't give a shit about your armor.". The shaky voice of the boy stopped being riddled with uncertainty, and after a sigh, he was perfectly maintaining his composure- for now. "Show me you don't mean ill to her, and apologize."

And after that, silence. The only sounds to escape the crystal were clicks and taps from someone toying with their in game menu.

"He sent a message to Mari instead of responding to me or turning the duel down. He was trying to provoke me. He also sent me the message.", present-Chase chimed in, a low growl in his voice. Hard to believe as it may be, this was the same Chase as Tanabata, as the one in the recording. "He said 'sorry' to her in the message, but to calm me down. Not because he meant it.", he said before the crystal started to make noise again.

"... Get up.", a calm order from Chase before more footsteps. And out of nowhere, the sound of a strike and skidding along the ground, followed by the blip most were unfamiliar with. A crystal turning orange. "You won't try to manipulate her in front of me. Orange cursors mean nothing after seeing her have one and you have none. Get up now."

"Have you seen the names and the graves Mari has left in her wake?  She has the courage not to deny them.  She knows what they mean and will pay the price for those actions for the rest of her days.  I sought her out because she has that courage - to bolster it.  She had the potential to be a great leader among us, if she can learn to accept her deeds and move past them to be something more. We're still working on that last part, but it's a worthy goal. Don't lecture me about what I do and don't deserve when you're the one earning that, without the sense to even understand why.". And now, more blips followed before Freyd started to read aloud a message he got from Mari. "I told him your Gemini ripped mine out of me. That you congratulated me for engineering my own oblivion. That I don't blame you. That I wouldn't be mad if he punched you in the face. He hasn't gone further than that, has he?".

Just when it sounded like Chase was about to go right back at it, Freyd kept on going. "She forgets that I was speaking to her and the vile blight that my Gemini ripped out of her when I mentioned her oblivion, but there you have it. Straight from Mari's mouth - my evil twin did it, as cliche as it might be.  But you won't hear it.  You can't hear it, because you're too damned busy wanting everything to match your feelings instead of facing life being what it actually is. What would Lily say, if she saw you now?"

"You have no right to say her name. Say you're sorry right now.". Shaky breathing again, before two more strikes sounded. "Say it! Apologise!". And then, three more strikes. "Say you're fucking sorry!". A last one, before more tumbling and panting followed. "Say you're fucking sorry for what you did to Mari!". His voice had gone back to violent, angry and berserk.

"What would it even accomplish to say those words, Chase?  You've already assumed that I'm a liar, and you're not actually listening!  What could my apology possibly bring that would cut through to reach inside your thick skull? Show me some real strength, Chase.  Reign this in and stop acting like the same monster you claiming me to be.  You want the moral high ground?!  Do it!  Take it right now!  Because you've just surrendered everything that possibly made you better than me for the sake of a cheap and pointless shot."

"Say you're sorry to her and mean it!", another snarl before strikes upon strikes followed. Not too long after, the chains from the bracelet he wore could be heard clanking, probably having been used as a weapon to strike Freyd even more. "You've never done anybody any good from the bottom of your heart to be allowed scott free for what you tried to do to Mari. You're selfish, and a fucking monster."

Before this could continue any longer, from the distance, a new voice shouted. "HEY!". Silence, broken by a slap and more noise- Chase falling on the ground, specifically. "The fuck-Chase. Whatever happened to 'I'd never hurt you Ma'", her voice imitating his own before she began to speak with a pained voice.  "THIS. That. What were you thinking? How do you think I'd feel if I saw that? That marker above your head hurts more than any of the dumb ass shit that he- has done. I said you could punch him. Not turn yourself into the very thing you hate. What on earth are you doing? Talk me through what you're feeling."

The only noise to follow Mari's words was sobbing and whimpering. Freyd was quiet, she was quiet, and Chase was quietly crying. "You're being reckless, and childish. What were you trying to do?". Silence again, mostly in the form of sniffling. "And you. Sittin' there observing as if outside the situation. C'mon. Seriously. No one's gonna ever understand you if that's the shit you do.". The shift in her voice made it easy to discern she was talking to Freyd, but she got nothing in response. "It's fine. But you can't have me comin' in like that all the time. I might not survive it.". To top off the silence, a question to break through. "Can one of - or both of you tell me how this all started?"

"He asked to talk, I came.  He offered a duel.  I refused without first receiving an explanation, then sent you that message. That was his response. I never drew a weapon nor returned a single blow. You know full well that if he'd tried this shit with any number of others, there'd be nothing but shattered blue crystals all over the floor of this cavern right now.  I'm not in this situation - you two are.  It's a crisis of your own making: your own engineered oblivion, again."

"I didn't mean to make you mad, nor condescend you. I may have worded things wrong in the heat of...this moment...". An awkward pause before Mari's tone softened again. "You know....He's right. I don't think...I made it clear to you earlier that Freyd did apologize, I wasn't really in the best frame of mind - and I unwittingly omitted things. I think I did tell you that, yeh? I tend to lie by omission - without meaning to. I really wish you hadn't...fought him Chase - especially if it were on my behalf, a much lesser person would have killed you. It takes a great deal of patience to be berated like that and not retaliate. Look. This is the reality of having an orange crystal. You shouldn't let yourself have one so easily. Be thankful it'll disappear in a few days."

Without any quiet pauses now, Freyd went back at it. "I'm here doing exactly what you're telling me I need to do, and this is what I get for it!  Don't condescend to tell me I need to step inside after how many times I've been berated for trying to do just that.  I didn't yank out your soul, Mari.  You'd already done that.  I'm the guy who willingly placed himself between you and the darkness that already existed within. Consider this: If I was half the monster you both seem to think I am, you wouldn't have reached him in time, and might well be walking half-dead into your own grave. You two need to get your shit together."

"I never said you were. Nor do I think you are."

“Thank you for that, you also know that I still believe in you.  Those gashes show how much you still care.". That was about as friendly as Freyd would get. Then came his harsher tone again, directed to the quiet swordsman. “Chase, I’ve neither harboured you any ill will nor ever taken any action against you.  Whatever this is, you need to get a grip on it.  If I can help you with that, I will, though I doubt you’ll have any desire to accept such an offer. That said, luring a formal ally into the dark depths on the pretense of discussion meant to veil your own desire for violence is unacceptable. And if your intentions were purely noble, this could have been done in any number of open and safe locations.  You’re the one who chose the shadows, not me.   You’re the one who chose to bring the chains still wrapped around your hands, not me.  You’re the one who made your icon orange, not me.  I will have to speak to the other captains about this.  They have a right to know.  There may be consequences.”. And after this, his voice softened again, looking at Mari. “It’s a long way home, for you.  I can walk with you, if you want.  There is a place I know along the way where you could safely rest.  But I can also appreciate that you may want your space.”

"... You're lying through your damn teeth, you snake. If you didn't try to set me off further, we wouldn't be this way right now. Don't try to claim the moral high ground. Go back to your guild to justify yourself and pin it all on me, 'gentleman'. Tell them I'll do the same anytime if that fits your narrative better. I'll take care of Mari."

"I think you've said enough, Freyd. It'd be in everyone's best interests if you stepped away. I appreciate the offer, but I'll be fine on my own.". A bit of silence followed, before steps sounded. Freyd was leaving the scene, leaving only Mari and Chase. "Chase... I appreciate the defense, and I know Freyd no doubt did say things that would be antagonistic. But this anger... It won't help anyone, and it'll only hurt you further. Here... I'll take you to my home, the long way. Your orange crystal will disappear in a few days. I have a hot drink and a warm bed you can use. And if his guild may cause issue for you, you'd always have a home in mine."

And so, the record crystal ended. Chase had his eyes closed, letting out deep, shaky breaths from having relived- or at least reheard, the whole experience. He was more than just angry to say the least, but he seemed to be working on it. With the crystal now having finished its playback, he stashed it back into his inventory, crossing his arms and looking at Eruda with a pained look. "What I did wasn't fair. I refuse to be blamed for everything though.", he put it bluntly, looking to the side. It was a forest like this, last time, too, right? "Did Katoka tell you she'd drawn her katana because I told her to be careful of Freyd? Did Freyd say he never apologised and instead kept berating me? Did he even try to get this resolved, coming fully prepared for a fight?"

Chase was doing his absolute best to not get pissed off again, his glare appearing and being replaced by a softer look again and again. A betrayed, disappointed one. "If the guild feels unsafe without me, so be it. That's Freyd's doing though. It's not Chase the menace, it's Freyd pushing you away from me. There you go. The truth. Did this need to happen? Did Freyd need to put me through more than I did for that day?"

Nothing more than a listen, a soft reflection as he consumed the ringing voice through muffled retelling. Removing his lenses and allowing what little sunlight trickling through above to bleed through the canopy. "You came virtually unarmed, which Freyd eluded to." he spoke in brief pause, drawing them back his face. "Katoka's defense of him were passions, in the same way, that you wished to protect Mari, the very same she wished to protect him. Emotion is a hard thing to control, is it not?"

He shuffled open his inventory and produced a small section of tea, allowing a faint aura of red to build and bleed from his shoulders. "What is important is we learn how to control those passions, that anger. Lily is and always will be waiting for you outside this place. You prove that you are worth waiting for by remembering her." A subtle sip as that fog begins to thin out, become more tempered and controlled with a purple hue claiming it. A fury contained and focused.

"I understand anger better than most, I would not discredit or condemn you for such things. You were doing exactly what you believed was right, and Freyd at this moment was doing the same. He was preparing for the worst, unsure of your motives, and was not made aware of them until long after. He came prepared for a fight yes, in case you were intending something more final. On the other hand, this may look like a betrayal, an assumption that you were worse than you are. The benefit of the doubt is hard to give when its life at stake. What remains unclear was Freyd's motives for joining you at all. He chose to answer your call, to hear what your intentions were." Pouring a second glass and offering it toward Eruda to join him, before working on a third.

"I know full well what it is Freyd has been dealing with, albeit loosely. I have been looking into the very thing referenced in that recording of yours. His Gemini, like Freya's, has and will continue to act of its own accord. I am working on a cure, something to put an end to it and I am curious about this forest. Mari is not at any place to suggest, to inspire. She is correct that an orange cursor is nothing you want. It's a brand, an end to everything that you aspire to be. Life becomes more difficult, and those that choose to live with it are forever marked by it. I've seen it in Hidden, Pinball, and Mari. It leaves you scarred, and it was those scars that you misinterpreted. Mari needs time to heal, and she may never be fully rid of those scars. You wish to help Mari, Freyd wishes to help her. Give her a moment to breathe without this unneeded conflict where she is forced to act, prove to her that she doesn't need to worry about you Chase."

A pour of a third glass and an extension of his arm, a pair of glasses left to his side revealing a man without any obscurity. "Everyone is at fault, and Mari may just deserve an apology when she can hear it. But right now, let her rest." He ushers that glass of green tea to Chase.

Chase remained quiet, giving Eruda and Gaius a glance each. Nothing. After a few moments of silence, he shot a harsh glare at Raidou, with a fist clenched but both his legs firmly planted on the ground. "I don't think you understood anything, other than the fact you've wrongfully tangled Mari up in all of this.".

990406307_ChaseDBPGlare2.png.39b93d0b7be1555e41cbabd552ca6530.png"If I wanted Mari to worry about me, you'd be the only one standing and you damn well know it. The fact I came in the first place should hint at something. God forbid there were actual consequences for once though, right?", he started, a low growl in the very back of his voice. "I've already suffered enough for what happened that day. So has Mari. But Freyd? He doesn't agree. He seems to think that because he didn't attack me back, he's in the right. And if anything, I show you this and what do you say? 'He was going through tough times'. So was I. So was Mari. And he tried to throw the blame on her.". For a moment, Chase felt a wave of rage brush over him, planting his legs on the ground even firmer. "He called Mari out for all she's done in the past before me, he never apologised once and even brought it up to you guys. So what now? I don't get kicked away, yet everybody is scared of me. Chase, the monster. That's what we'll roll with."

"It's fine if I get threatened with a sword or provoked. But it's not Freyd's or Katoka's fault cause 'they were going through tough times'. Is that seriously how little you care about pretending to be fair?", he huffed and opened up his inventory, equipping his coat and sword once more. The same glare was still in his eyes, but something else with it; disappointment. "It was a complete waste of time to come here. I don't want in on any of your guild bullshit. Nobody else will even know the full story, so that leaves me on my own then.". There was little to really be said over this. Chase already knew how this would play out. "Anybody that wasn't here will learn I left and keep being fearmongered by Freyd. They won't approach me, talk to me or even so much as think about what happened before spreading his lies. So much for trying to make new allies. I'm fine with just NIGHT and Alkor. It's their loss."

"Didn't I?" Raidou muttered beneath his breathe removing his lenses from the bridge of his nose, swelling of that red starting to twist the purple. "What would you do here then? What course of action should the guild take? You believe I invited Mari here for her to get mixed up in this mess then you're mistaken. The fact that your so heated proves what you say, I know full well you don't want her mixed up in this. I invited her here so that way she can see that it is handled, Mari has never been for flights of fancy. She won't believe it until she sees it, from you. From us. If you have some course that you would wish the guild to take then I am all ears. Just don't pretend there is some better result when you won't speak to what it is." A soft exhale as he wiped it on his robe, folding them up and placing them away as he breathed deeply with kindling of red on his iris, overtaking the amber.

"The moral is everyone is having it tough, everyone you see. Not just the people you recognize. Every face as your exiting towns, every person you happen across. There is plenty of misery to go around, and the course I have taken is to let it be buried. We don't have the luxury of playing favorites, we don't have the luxury to condemn one of our own which includes you. And even if you don't think you are one of us Chase, the whole of Aincrad's player base is. The entire game is working against you, against Mari, and against Freyd to the same degree. Nothing is being done because nothing can be." A soft sip of his tea as he sets it down to calm the elevation, he's had this argument before with Hidden.

"There are no monsters here, only people trying their most damn to survive and making mistakes. I would not chastise you or Mari for that. Believe what you want, I will not stop you. But when the time comes don't be surprised when I save your life in exchange for my own." An attempt to be amicable had failed, he'd left the kid to his fire. He'd not hear him now, deaf to his own anger. Raidou had been there, hell not but a few months prior it had almost made him go insane.

So much was said, yet so little was accomplished. Typical, for the interactions Chase was having as of late with Firm Anima. "She knows damn well I'm not planning on doing anything to put her, or myself in danger. I've made a promise and I'm not planning to break it. But you're right. Maybe I should stay in your guild. That way the next time I threaten to lop someone's head off, I can be excused cause 'I'm going through tough shit'.", he hissed back, opening his menu.

1544565230_ChaseDBPGlare1.png.b49a275c02df41129ba6f882e8e776a0.png"I've no doubt you mean well, Raidou. But you have to get your shit together. I've no punishment for Freyd- I'd kick him out if I were you. But I'm not. Is this my problem? It should be. But someone made it a guild's problem. Now it falls in YOUR hands, not mine. And look here real fast.", he turned Raidou's attention to the menu before flipping it so he could see it. "See that? I'm almost maxed out. My skills are also maxed out and my gear, you've seen at work. I am the last person to need your help. Not because I don't like you, but because I'm the least likely to get killed. Of all the people, you thought to offer tank protection. Do you know the shit I've gone through for your guild? I've been poisoned by a snake, paralyzed, tossed around and taken hits right to the face. For your people.", he huffed and closed the menu, resting a hand on the handle of his sword once more. "Right now, they need your protection much more than I do. Cause the next time they pick a fight with someone, I won't be there to protect them like I was until now. Your guild dragged me into this, not me. One of your people took me and said 'Hey, he fits on the list'. And you know how I found out? From Freyd telling me."

Almost static as he continued to talk, he turned to Eruda and Gaius, frowning. Less so with anger and more so with... dissapointment? No, that wasn't it. Sadness. "... Even now, you asked me here but you're not saying a thing.". He expected one of them would have something to say, but... nothing. Now all he expected was to be met with silence once more, as he had up to now. The bluehead turned to Raidou, putting on his rather weary glare once more. "If you keep thinking everyone is on the same team as you, one of these days you won't die. One person has to backstab you and you'll be one guildmate short suddenly. Everybody wants what suits them best and this has been proof of nothing else. I appreciate the offer, but it'd be better if you dealt with your guild first. Get your shit together...", Chase sighed and glanced over at Gaius and Eruda, before back at the wanderer. "... All of you.", he exhaled lowly, meaning it much less like an insult and more so as genuine advice. Enough was enough though. "Whatever you do with this now, defines how much you really care. You're responsible for Freyd, not me. I'll be responsible for myself and me alone."

Now done, he gave the others a moment to take it in, if they'd like to speak and not stare like soulless statues all this time. Taking a teleport crystal out of his inventory and holding it in his hands, he quietly peered over them and kept a blank, if not slightly pained expression, waiting silently. "What a complete mess."

A glance at his menu, his numbers as if it was supposed to mean something. Clearly it did to Chase, but to Raidou it was nothing more then a placebo. Something to make you feel comfortable, complacent. "Emotionally charged conversation, and truth are hardly the same. You fail to see this." Raidou remarked with a soft glance to Eruda, as she'd taken a back burn on this conversation. A turn to Gaius who could do nothing more then shake his head. It was clear that even the dragoon had since seen the value in people over simply trying to be the best, and strangely had taken a back leg of his own. It was not too long ago that Raidou had had this conversation with Gaius as well, but he understood.

"Level is only a number, gear and material things can be replaced. People cannot." Raidou swelled in his cup, lifting the carafe with a softness to his tone. A lesson he was imparted a long time ago, along a path that he'd walked in solace desperate to make a difference in isolation. He couldn't overcome it alone, even still he attempted and almost found death at the hands of the King as a result. It was in that moment he found an epiphany, when arms held high stormed the chamber to save his skin. "If you believe that those who have protected, those weaker then you owe you something then you are misguided. As a tank you have chosen to be strong for them, to risk your neck first. It's not a matter of if but when. Numbers only go so far, the creatures you will inevitably face will over power you when alone. I've had it happen to me." He took another swig, keeping that rattling nerve gone and placed in a box.

Raidou breathes a bit, allowing that fire in his eyes to vanish. "You choose to see what is wrong with someone, the darkness that lingers in everyone. I choose to see the light, that little spark in the fire that breeds to humanity. Don't think that I cannot tell the difference to those that have lost this and those that can still feel it burning away. I want what suits everyone trapped in Aincrad best, and I am more then willing to pay the ultimate price for that. To believe that there will one day be a time where they are all on one united front, fighting against the odds stacked against them. There are more of them then us, and that margin changes every day. They respawn, we do not. We die where they do not. Every day we are losing good people, and I choose to maintain hope."

There were many things that Chase wanted to say, but if anything, he just said that he was done talking. He'd stick to that and keep his words short, no rebuttals or constant back and forths. It was obvious he couldn't get anywhere else no matter what he said, each would hear what they wanted to. "Just cause I'm not with you doesn't mean I'm alone.", he sighed and smiled slightly, before turning to Raidou once more.

1799835905_ChaseDBPDefault.png.45e41b22dc970b704a9961a1f808b86e.png"And I never said you owe me anything. But it sure feels like you think because I'm a tank, I owe everybody everything. So I'm cutting ties from the guild. I'm not your affiliate, I'm Chase. If you want help from an affiliate, you won't find it. If you want it because you actually want it, ask away.". And then came the little monologue, that speech. The bluehead shivered and turned to the side with a more scrunched up face, letting out a sigh. "... Keep 'hoping' then. Let dreamers dream.", he quietly mumbled, clutching the crystal tighter as a blue light began to envelop him. Before disappearing fully though, his voice echoed one last time. "I didn't come here to talk with you Raidou. I came to talk because Eruda asked- to talk with her. Seems I was mistaken.". And now, he'd appeared back in the 21st floor's settlement, slumping against the obelisk by the teleport plaza and plopping on the ground quietly. He needed a moment or two to unwind and regain his composure in full. There, he knew what to do. Since that was over, no need to worsen it any more.

ChaseR: If Raidou or anyone asks anything of you, don't go Ma. It's a waste of time. I can tell you what happened if you want me to.

That was one of the two messages he felt obligated to send. The other was more so for himself rather than for someone else, and after he typed in the name, he texted NIGHT, knowing she'd probably let him come over and relax- or she could come to his house instead, if she so pleased.

ChaseR: I've still got the easter candy. Is it alright if I come and we sit for a bit? Been a tiring day.

[ChaseR uses Teleport Crystal (Floor 21).]

Edited by ChaseR

A flash of a light as Chase had left of his own volition, a glance to Eruda and a simple question. "You visited Shiina, as I asked?" Looking to the blonde for a moment as she fiddles with her pocket and peeled free the performance crystal. Gaius instantly perks up and frowns at the both of them "What the fuck is that?" Raidou takes a sip of his tea before pouring more. "That Gaius, is a recording crystal. Now all the information is out in the open." The dragoon stands and moves over, lording over the wanderer where he sat.

"That's not fucking fair, of you to do that to him."

Raidou glares up at him "No, it isn't, not in the slightest. Nor would have it been fair to drag the entire guild out here and making it appear as though I was bringing an army against him. I appreciated your silence on this exchange, and I am curious what you think, Gaius. I, for one, believe he means well. With this the entire guild can if they so choose, participate and nothing will be left in the dark. I don't like it, and neither should you. But if you were not here, would you believe what was said?"

The answer was the same, a hard no.

"I sure hope for his sake, that he does have someone to give him a hand when it matters that he does. I would be lying if I were to tell the both of you that I am not worried for him. This place is much larger than all of us, the problem more dangerous than all of us. I am glad to see what I have changed in you Gaius, that problem is the human condition as a whole. To be selfish, to be self serving, to let ego control your actions. It runs rampant, more than half of the names on the monument are there because of it. Kaiba doesn't have to do anything to slow us down, his little game is nothing more than an experiment. To see if we can learn to stop killing each other, and I am stricken to say that as a whole... We are failing."

[From this point backward, Guild Members are aware of what transpired if they choose to. The information is readily available]

A few hours earlier….

Mari stared distastefully at the skewered meat roasting over the fire - what was it? A lizard? Rat? A mix of the two? Mari wasn't sure. She wasn't even sure she cared any more. Mari had long forgone the luxury of 'good' food. Having felt hungry Mari decided she'd try to make do with what nature provided her. But - the acrid smell that came from the meat turned her off. With a sigh Mari stood from her seated position and picked up the skewer, only to discard it with a strong throw over her shoulder. "Eurgh." She'd rather just go hungry.

"Mari.  We need to talk."

Now there is a voice she didn't expect to hear. Mari wasn't sure what she was feeling. Freyd was still a very difficult person to read, each time Mari felt like she had found some sort of equal ground with him, she found herself stumbling again. The last time they spoke…

It wasn’t really good was it?

“Freyd. Welcome to my humble abode.” A wry smile forced itself onto her face as she gestured to the makeshift campsite around her. A fire, a shoddy looking tent, and a misshapen rock that looked like a rather uncomfortable chair.  “What do you need?”

If she kept it amicable that’d be fine, right? SHe had concerns about how he felt - but they’d have to be set aside for now. He did after all, come all the way here. Though the question did linger, how did he find her so easily?

“Rustic,” he replied, trying to be cheerful, and failing badly in the process.  “Chase is meeting with the rest of the guild over, you know.”  A vague hand wave was about as useful an explanation, but they both knew the topic.  “It made sense not to be anywhere nearby.  Since some time had passed, and the raid was pending.  I…”   A black gloved hand rubbed at a hidden nose beneath his ever present hood.  “I guess I just wanted to see how you were, after that mess.”  His head popped up, visibly signifying thought, just as a small honey-glazed bun appeared in hand.  “And I brought lunch!  Don’t worry.  Freya makes them.  They’re tasty without much sweetness.”

Mari quietly listened to him, knowing better than to interrupt. “Ah…” Freyd had said something about that hadn’t he? That he’d have to bring Chaser’s actions to the guild. Mari grimaced as she scratched her head, exhaling. “Ya said you needed me there too huh? So you’re trying to bribe me with food?” It was meant to be a joke, but as usual - her words fell flat, and sounded more like an accusation or an insult. A byproduct of her constant exhaustion and bubbling apathy.  If she were being honest, Mari really didn’t want to deal with it all. She was...tired. But - a promise is a promise.

Mari reached out, taking the token. Even if she didn’t really feel like eating anything sweet. Mari trudged to the rock and sat herself down on it, picking a tiny piece off the roll and placing it into her mouth, chewing for a moment. How was she?

How am I?

“Tired.” Came her reply. “I’m just...tired. Where is this meeting taking place?”

“Floor twenty one, in the Forest of Memories.  It’s near our guild hall and easily definable as neutral ground.”  Even as he said the name of the place, Freyd knew that might keep her away.  “I’m not here to push you to attend.  Honestly, this may be your best out, but you deserved to know, one way or the other.”   It felt inappropriate to stand, hovering at a distance that might also, somehow be construed as looming.  A nearby stump would suffice, and so he sat.  “Clock is ticking, I guess.”  His eyes drifted to the walls of the labyrinth beyond.  “I wasn’t sure that you’d attend, but glad to see that you made it up here.  If you intend to go, I can walk with you or keep my distance, as you please.”

Mari continued to pick at the bun. If she were to leave now...it’d probably take her a few hours to get there. Would the meeting even still be happening by the time she arrived? “I am meant to be there as some sort of character witness support to Chase...mmm….but my presence could be an issue.”  She was thinking aloud, and more focused on her own thoughts than what Freyd was doing. Just as she was weighing her options a message popped up.

“Ah.Hang on…”  It was from Chaser. “He’s actually just….” She fell silent when she read what he had to say.  

If Raidou or anyone asks anything of you, don't go Ma. It's a waste of time. I can tell you what happened if you want me to.

He didn’t want her to go? Raidou...he was involved to. “I’m unsure if the meeting will still be happening but…” Chasers message had the opposite effect. The fact that he was trying so hard to ward her away made Mari realize that he probably needed someone there. “It’d take me a few hours.”

Freyd grabbed a nearby stick, poking the ground randomly with it, letting Mari run through her thinking.  “The guild heard my side.  They wanted to hear yours and Chase’s as well.  They’d wait, if you were to go.”

Mari left the remnants of the roll on the stone, all in all at most a bite would have been eaten. “If you want to guide me, you can.”  She turned to look at him, properly look at him in that moment. She hesitated, “I wouldn’t mind the company.” IT wasn’t exactly a honey’d bread roll -but it was an olive branch, all the same.

A smile graced the shadows as they lifted with his head.  “Certainly.  Shall I let them know we’re coming?”  Mari nodded in response. No one noticed the happy face drawn on the ground.

The trek to the meeting was...mostly silent. Both Freyd and Mari knowing better than to fill the silence with awkward banter. Mari had explained that she was so high up, because she was waiting for the boss battle, and didn’t want to make the trek which would take a week at least, too close to the actual battle itself.  No one asked many prying questions of the other - and despite her exhaustion Mari kept pace with Freyd.

The Whisper’s pace, by comparison, was deliberately slowed.  If she was going to do this, his only intention was that it occur on her terms.  She’d been through enough already, and this was Chase’s mess, now, so far as he was concerned.  Likewise, he respected their mutual silence, knowing the toll recent weeks had taken.  The point was not to be a burden.

---

Present

----

Mari slowly stepped into the clearing in the forest; following the voices. It appeared that she had just missed something...the tension was tight, and the strangers faces had various looks of concern upon them, all barring Raidou - who had his usual stoic look hidden behind his glasses.

Mari cleared her throat. “It took me some time but freyd….’ she paused. Someone was missing. “Is this not...Chasers uh, hearing?”  the tired looking player was a far cry from the monster the rumours had once portrayed her to be. 

"It is, it was." Gaius barked out abruptly, still holding his ground on this. "But the kid fuckin' left. Not just the meeting." He balled a fist, and it would be immediately clear that he was conflicted. Taking a moment to build some distance between Raidou, he wanted to deck him one. But the motherfucker was right, and that made it even worse. "Not just the meeting, the guild completely. I just...don't fuckin' get it." He'd eye Freyd and reach for his face rubbing it feverishly with both hands.

Raidou looks to Eruda and she hands him the main object, tapping it with another he held to force it to be copied. An extension of his hand to Gaius. Completely confused by why the hell it was being given to him, Gaius reaches out and rips it free with a quick swipe. A tap of his finger as he shouldered the sound it would play, it almost stung as it played in his hand. A minute by minute recount of the whole damn thing. Once it was done, the dragoon drops it where it was held.

It made his skin itch, almost burn as temper's rose. "I hate that I agree with you, I can't stand it. I would rather just punch you, myself." Gaius looked to Freyd earnest, being totally honest. "This whole thing happened for what? What the hell was the reason behind this?" He'd glance to Mari with his glare still piercing, a strange seriousness from him that usually completely absent. "He couldn't listen at all, and you know what I think?" he pauses opening his inventory and peeling out a roll of his to eat angerly. Instead of shoving a spear through someones face. "I think he thinks he's protecting you from us." A gesture in a point with a jerk "From you. As if the guild was invested in climbing in your ass and building a nest."