[PP-F8] Rumble in the Jungle

The Monkey King

The village in the canopy was the safe zone particularly because of the behemoth below. Alkor could see the creature romp and smash from his vantage point near the edge of town, like some morbid statue that presided over the carnage unflinching. He refused to let it be. "The thing looks tough enough," he muttered to himself. It would be a decent distraction; but would he be alright going it alone?

He knew at least one person who wouldn't be happy to hear that he took the chance. Alkor watched as the King smacked another hapless beast aside, sending it sharding into pixels. It had no regard even for its own kind- he didn't consider the creatures as beasts, more as cogs in an ever turning machine. Even at that, the system dehumanized them.

With a quick message spared to the person who'd told him to stop taking risks, Alkor explained concisely the situation he found himself in, and a suggestion that they tag team the field boss rather than him going down by himself and shooting the dice. If nothing else, they hadn't gotten much of a chance to catch up at the Tanabata festival. This would be... well, Lessa would probably like that.

Or maybe she'd get annoyed. Alkor wasn't really sure. He sent off the message and waited for a reply.

Alkor level 47

960/960 HP 104/104 Energy

14 Damage / 4 ACC / 3 EVA / 12 MIT / 24 Blight

Blightsteel (2 DMG/1 Blight/Cursed) / Cowl of the Wandering Warrior (3 EVA) / Eye of Osiris (3 ACC)

Rank 5 Curved Sword / Rank 3 Light Armor / Athletics / Precision / Ferocity/ Finesse rank 3 / Fighter familiar rank 3 / Survival / Extended Mod limit

She was still in bed when the message came. Anyone who knew Lessa wouldn’t be surprised by that, as the woman loved lazy mornings more than most anything. While she wasn’t actually asleep, she still grumbled faintly as her notification alert pinged. Rolling onto her stomach was difficult with the weight of Riker across her legs, but she still managed to prop herself up on her elbows and summon the message box.

”Alkor?” she actually questioned aloud, causing her wolf familiar to lift his head and blink sleepily at her. It had been a few months since they had interacted. Of course, the time apart hasn’t exactly bothered her - she had gone a whole lot longer than that without talking to him. But the concept of catching up with him was enough to coax the blonde out of her  cozy, king-sized bed.

By the time Lessa approached her oldest Aincradian friend, she had swapped the yoga pants for heavy armor, and at least attempted to tame her unruly bed-head. “Good morning,” she greeted, drawing up alongside him. When her gaze swung from Alkor to the raging beast, she figured she didn’t have to ask about the quest details. “So are we hunting King Kong today?”

Spoiler

Name: Lessa
Level: 62
HP: 1330/1330
EN: 124/124

Stats:
Damage: 19
Mitigation: 126
Evasion: -1
Accuracy: 3
BH:39
THRNS:54
H.M.:1
REC:1

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Arcturus (T3/Perfect/2HSS): Damage 3
Armor: Galaxy Armor (T3/Perfect/Heavy Armor): Thorns 2, Heavy Momentum 1
Misc: Neutron Star Necklace (T3/Perfect/Jewelry): Accuracy 2, Recovery 1

Skills:
2H Straight Sword [Rank 5]
Heavy Armor [Rank 5]
Howl [Obtained]
Fishing [Obtained]
Parry [Obtained]
Battle Healing [Rank 3]

Extra Skills:
Familiar: Protector
Survival

Mods:
Precision
Ferocity
Athletics
Finesse (Rank 3)
Stonewall

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystal*5
Requires Extended Weight Limit 1
Requires Extended Weight Limit 2
Requires Extended Weight Limit 3
Obtained via Item Stash (Housing)
Obtained via Dimensional Backpack

Housing Buffs:
Well Rested: -1 energy cost for the first three expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Advanced Training: +2 SP to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll

Guild Hall Buffs:
Helping Hand: Lowest-leveled guild member receives +2 bonus SP at the end of the thread. At least half of the thread's participants must be guild members. Limit one use per month, per character. [1/1]

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

"Looks like it," Alkor commented without looking up at first. The sight of it was daunting, especially given that the beast wasn't confined to some boss room. This was a free roaming, dangerous creature that caused collateral damage, just like the Twinfire Phoenix had. But unlike that monstrosity, this one kept respawning. It was an absolute menace. "I don't think there's a good way to put it down, though," he observed, then finally glanced up to the blonde.

"You ready?" he asked. It was about as good of a "how are you?" as the man could manage, considering. He never knew how to talk to Lessa; because she was one of the few people who had known him for such a long time, she had seen him in the darkest parts of his time in Aincrad. When he was at his most detestable, she'd sought to help him. Despite the venomous creature he'd become, she had still shown kindness. 

Lessa was so far away, even standing right next to him. Where he reached out for the light, in many ways, the woman embodied it. It was always just out of reach. She was always just out of reach.

"I figure we can take it pretty quick, honestly," he assessed, "and with drastically decreased risk, but there will still be a small margin for error. Judging by how it's ripping through mobs, it can take a healthy chunk of HP out with a single hit."

As he spoke, he didn't really look at her. It was like staring at the sun for too long. It was easy to feel compelled, but it would burn your eyes if you gave in. For Alkor, it was more that he felt ashamed. He was bad at keeping in touch, and she let him keep his distance. 

But, for the sake of that friendship, there were days when he did try to close that gap.

Like this one. "You look well," he added. 

Pleasure and embarrassment clashed on her suddenly-warming cheeks. Compliments from Alkor did not come every day, and she still found herself shaken by them. Why his words affected her so much, Lessa couldn’t be sure. Perhaps it was just a remnant of a different time. 

“Thanks, Alkor,” she answered with a warm smile. Another thing that could be counted on was the man’s honesty; Alkor didn’t mince words, nor did he offer words of praise without thought. Even something as simple as ‘you look well’ likely took a considerable amount of consideration and effort. The least she could do was return the favor. “So do you. I was glad to hear from you.”

Leaving the statement to hang in the air between them, the guardian watched the Monkey King tear a small tree from the earth. It studied the mass of twisted roots, a bit like a child examining a toy, before tossing it carelessly over it’s shoulder. The discarded tree nearly collided with one of the many treehouses, and Lessa sucked air through her teeth.

”We should definitely be careful,” she agreed with a slight nod. “I’ve seen firsthand how an easy quest can get away from you.” She slanted her companion a sideways glance. “But I can take a hit too, so I’ll tank for us. What do you say we go down there and scope things out?”

It had been a good occasion to call on Lessa, that was certain. He didn't often reach out for help, but in recent days he'd put more emphasis on doing so. It was her request that he not take on any excessively dangerous or exciting things by himself. She'd even had an attack dog to punch him over it; though, she hadn't strictly known about that encounter until later. Alkor didn't hold her accountable to that as a result. Instead, his thoughts were more on how to approach the conversation. Unlike the people he didn't know quite so well, Lessa was well aware that Alkor was no good at communicating. She almost seemed happy at the compliment even Alkor considered weak. He just didn't have much to draw on for more; and now, he felt awkward about it.

Lessa was brilliant as expected, even in her response. She said that she was glad to hear from him, and he searched himself for the proper answer as if she'd posed him some cryptic question. How did he feel? Did he feel anything? Was he glad too? Or was that the proper, courteous thing to say in the situation? His face betrayed nothing of the turmoil hidden behind it. "That's good," he said, "I'm just glad it didn't inconvenience you at all." That seemed like a fairly safe response. Maybe a bit flatter than it could have been, but it seemed to show some kind of empathy?

She quickly changed the topic back toward the situation in front of them, which gave him a bit more confidence about what he should say. Unlike trying to figure out what people were thinking or feeling, tactics were direct. There was very little room for something to have a hidden meaning. He listened carefully, eyes once again on their intended enemy.

Though one or two hits from the thing probably wouldn't do him in, Lessa had more survivability overall. Alkor's build was geared toward evasion rather than taking the brunt of any damage. Lessa wore heavier armor explicitly for that purpose. It stood to reason that she would be the one standing at the front. She'd come so far, and gone so far ahead of him. Alkor always felt a bit awed by the progress she'd made.  "Yeah, I think that'd be wise," he agreed. "I can hit it pretty hard, but if it hits back, I don't know how many of those shots I'll be able to take. You might get one or two more than me." He smirked. "You've gotten a lot stronger than I remember," he commented. "If you're afraid, I can't even tell."

Notably, his gaze never left the beast as he spoke, and he wasn't inclined toward fear himself. He was taking all the necessary precautions. Something insignificant like this wouldn't be the end.

"Inconvenience me?" she echoed, then loosed a short laugh. "All you did was get me out of bed. Honestly, I'm not up to much these days. It's a nice change of pace. Plus," Lessa motioned to the raging monkey with a wave of her gauntleted hand, "I actually haven't killed this guy yet. So it'll be one more quest checked off my very, very long list." For some reason, the woman had never fallen into the "grinding" routine, even early on in the game. While other players had raced to collect the rewards and get stronger, Lessa had instead focused on the social aspect of Aincrad. Perhaps that was the reason she was so far behind her peers when comparing the raw numbers. But what had she gained from spending more time interacting with players than mobs? That there's the million dollar question.

As if reading her mind, Alkor commented on how much stronger she had gotten. Exhaling hard enough to ruffle her bangs, Lessa turned to face him. "Not as strong as I'd like," she admitted. "I really feel like I should be further along by now." Shifting her weight from one foot to the other, the woman resisted the urge to fidget with the belts hung low across her hips. "It feels like we've been here for an eternity, but I've only fought in one floor boss battle." Yeah, the one where Alkor died. The words were out before she realized it, and wanting to avoid a potentially awkward moment, she turned toward the nearest staircase. "I guess we should head down then."

If Lessa wasn't where she'd like to be, then Alkor certainly wasn't any closer to goal. He knew exactly how she felt. For all the time they'd both spent in Aincrad, neither of them were satisfied. Alkor had to smirk at that. Between the two of them, Lessa cared infinitely less about that kind of progress than he did. It seemed almost hilarious, because there was a time when she'd admonished him because he obsessed over it. Then she mentioned the token boss battle that either of them had fought in, and he fixed his gaze on the Monkey King. Neither of them wanted to relive that nightmare. She immediately suggested that they start, and he nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, luckily, neither of us have done this quest, so it'll be a big help."

He took a step forward, and when he seemed like he was about to freefall and eat the damage, he reached out and grabbed one of the many vines that hung from the canopy. It swung out under his weight, carrying him out and away from the settlement. "WOOOHOOOOOO!!!" he called out wildly. The Players all had a pretty good idea about how the fauna on the eighth floor worked now, several years later. The tricks of the trade, everything that made moving around easier were common knowledge- or just an Info Broker away. He continued to glide through the air until his feet set down on a lower platform, whereupon he grasped another vine that hung lower and swung out in the opposite direction. The complex series of shortcuts available made it easy and convenient to move across the floor without having to walk across the forest floor itself. After all, it was dangerous to do so, what with the King rampaging.

Alkor's howl hadn't gone unnoticed, however. It became apparent that the King's attention shifted toward the source of the sound, and the monstrosity swung out toward the Player with the intent of swatting him out of the sky. With a lopsided grin, the swordsman shifted his weight and swung narrowly out of the beast's reach. By the time it got another hand out, he'd already made landfall and started running. Now, if Lessa followed closely, she might be able to engage with the King before it had time to recuperate; but if she was a bit slower to follow, it would have a chance to swing on Alkor once more before they began the battle in earnest.

He got his weapon out and ready in he meantime. The adrenaline rush was welcome, a heightened response that would help to abate any lingering doubts that Alkor had, as well as to wash away any thought to the Ninth Floor boss battle.

"Ah shit." It was the only answer that Lessa could conjure for Alkor's warcry, or the dramatic leap he took off the platform. She had seen players go full George of the Jungle before, and a part of her had marveled at their skill. She, however, had always preferred to remain on the ground. Lessa and heights did not go hand-in-hand, and the idea of swinging around over a) the ground, and b) a raging monkey, did not bring her joy. Yet as her friend took the plunge, leaping from the platform and executing a perfect arc through the air, she just knew she would have to follow along. If she took the steps, far too much time would pass, and Alkor would likely end up facing the Monkey king alone. That was scarier than going airborne (though only just).

So with curses rolling from her lips like a prayer, Lessa loped toward the edge of the platform, snatched the nearest vine, and leaped before she could think it through. Even in the virtual world, the sensation of her stomach flipping left her queasy. The blonde huffed out a hard breath, then sucked in air through her nose, attempting to calm herself as the beast grew larger. Almost there, she coached herself. When you get near the ground, you'll just let go, and land on your feet. Ready, now go.

But Murphy had other plans. Releasing the vine before her feet skimmed the ground, Lessa went into a split-second free-fall. It was enough to cause a panic, and when she threw her weight to one side, she ended up rolling her ankle on the suddenly-present earth. Though there was no true pain, the sensation of cracking her ankle stole the breath from her, and sent her pitching to the side. By the time Lessa righted herself, and shakily found her feet, the Monkey King already studied her through beady, blood-red eyes. 

"Might as well keep his attention on me," she muttered to Alkor, attempting to play off the disastrous landing. Squaring her shoulders, and evenly distributing her weight, the Empress activated <<Howl>>.

Spoiler

Lessa uses <<Howl>>.

[H: 2] Lessa | HP:1330/1330 | EN: 115/124 | DMG:19 | MIT:126 | EVA:-1 | ACC:3 | THRNS:54 | H.M.:1 | REC:1 | BH:39 | DoT -25% | Well Rested [2/3]         

The Monkey King | HP: 250/250 | DMG: 240 | MIT: 50 | On MD rolls of 9 or 10, the Monkey King will Pick up a tree or large rock and throw it at the party, hitting and stunning them all for 120 damage.                                               

"Good job, Princess!" he called out to her jokingly as he sank into his combat ready stance. With his blade ready, he waited for the precise moment when Lessa's howl drew the King's ire and began to channel his Sword Art. A good damage dealer knew how to time these things- the tank couldn't keep up if they fell behind. That was a fact of life. Even the best tanks in MMO games couldn't hope to keep a handle on an over-aggressive damage dealer. Alkor had worked with all kinds; and he learned from old mistakes. "Now," he said, once the beast went hurtling toward Lessa, "I'll show you what I've got."

He didn't appear to move at all for a moment as the system took over. In a blinding flash of speed that tore him apart and stitched him back together a moment later behind the beastial Monkey King, he unleashed a flurry of wild blows that scarred the monstrosity with a number of deep, burning red wounds.

Alkor spun his weapon round as he prepared to go in again, as many times as it took to make the enemy drop. "Looks like I hit it pretty hard," he added as the behemoths health gauge dipped into the yellow, give or take about half full.

By then, the Blight had triggered. Festering, the newly opened wounds exacerbated as putrid, gangly green pulsated out from them. It wouldn't last long- but while it did, it was extremely potent, and could prove lethal.

[H: 2] Lessa | HP:1330/1330 | EN: 115/124 | DMG:19 | MIT:126 | EVA:-1 | ACC:3 | THRNS:54 | H.M.:1 | REC:1 | BH:39 | DoT -25% | Well Rested [2/3]         
[H: 2] Alkor | HP: 960/960 | EN: 96/104 (-8) | DMG: 14 | MIT: 12 | EVA: 3 | Blight:24                                                      

The Monkey King | HP: 113/250 (-137) | DMG: 240 | MIT: 50 / Blight 24 (1/2)

ID# 184338 Battle: 10 (14+1=15+2=17×11=187-50=137 damage)

"Princess?" Lessa scoffed under her breath. So he had seen her less than graceful landing. Of course he had. Fortunately, Lessa had very little time to dwell on it, as Alkor exploded into action the moment she activated <<Howl>>. Through eyes glowing an eerie, iridescent blue, she watched the swordsman deal a devastating blow against their furry friend. Embarrassment became admiration in an instant. "Yeah, I'd say so," she agreed when he commented on his hit. "Definitely hard. Let me see if I can follow that up."

Hefting her massive sword from her back, Lessa dropped into a combat stance. The Monkey King, red gash still pulsing from Alkor's damage, did the same. In unison, player and primate lunged at each other. Power pulsed into Scarecrow's Sickle, a fierce red that hummed as it slashed the air. The King's enormous hand swatted for her, but missed by inches. In fact, the strike passed so close to her that Lessa felt the displaced air shove her hair back from her flushed face. She, however, had far better luck. With a gentle nudge from the system, her Neutron Star Necklace glowed hot against her chest, and adjusted the trajectory of her attack. With the help of the accuracy buff, Galaxy Destroyer annihilated the boss. 

As Lessa landed, far more gracefully than before, she noticed the pixels raining down around her. "Uh," she began slowly. "Oh. I guess that was it."

Spoiler

[H: 2] Lessa | HP:1330/1330 | EN: 104/124 | DMG:19 | MIT:126 | EVA:-1 | ACC:3 | THRNS:54 | H.M.:1 | REC:1 | BH:39 | DoT -25% | Well Rested [1/3]         
[H: 2] Alkor | HP: 960/960 | EN: 96/104 (-8) | DMG: 14 | MIT: 12 | EVA: 3 | Blight:24                                                      

The Monkey King | HP: DEAD/250 (-197) | DMG: 240 | MIT: 50 / Blight 24 (1/2)

For Monkey King: 184340 MD: 5. MISS.
For Lessa: 184339 BD: 3 + 3 (acc) = 6. HIT. Lessa uses Galaxy Destroyer. 13*19=247-50=197

He had expected more.

Of course he had. When they talked about the dangerous field bosses in Aincrad, this guy tore apart the eighth floor on the regular. Compared to lower floor enemies, he was supposed to be a challenge for a group. In two strokes and without even losing a single health, the two Players had bested it. Disappointment robbed him of the high he actually wanted to feel as he shoved his curved sword back into its sheath.

"Well, that was kind of a letdown," he agreed with her sentiment. That really was it. "But hey, alls well that ends well, I guess. We still get the experience from the quest for completing it."

It was more of a silver lining than anything, but Alkor would take it at this point. The worst thing about this ordeal was that with the King being such a pushover, the two Players now had free time to talk and Alkor wasn't sure where to begin let alone what to say. 

"So, I'm almost there," he said, talking about his level gain and increased strength. Lessa had always known him to obsess over results. Why disappoint her now? "Doesn’t it kind of feel like back in the old days? Like Guardians, only... maybe not, since I'm actually around?"

The blonde nodded. "Yeah, I can tell that you've gotten a lot more powerful, even since the last time that I saw you." The smile she offered him was genuine, because there was nothing but truth behind the words. It really was a pleasure to see how far Alkor had come, and not just in the "if everyone is strong enough to clear the floors, everyone benefits" sense. Alkor had always been one to fixate on the numbers. In fact, she recalled a few different occasions when he struggled to see past them, and judged his entire worth on the levels and the skills. Where she had likely cared too little about the stats, he had cared too much. It was just another example of the stark differences between the two of them. But to see him getting stronger was a relief, as it helped him protect himself, and hopefully, improved his morale. "You've come a really long way in a short amount of time. You must have done some serious grinding."

At his mention of their old guild, her smile softened a bit. "Yeah," she agreed on a long, almost dreamy sigh. "Those old, old days. It feels like it's been a few lifetimes since we first started fighting together."

"Yeah," he agreed with that. Lifetimes was definitely the word for it. It felt like he was another person from the one who met Lessa originally. Almost as if he had died there, in the flames on floor nine, and been reborn as something else entirely. Something new. "It does feel that way."

It would have been clichéd to say 'I'm not the same person I was,' so he didn't. The truth was that layers had stripped away, first the facade of Alkor that he'd created, then the failed mindset that had done him no favors in the real world or any place else. Now, he was almost like a child fumbling around in a place he still didn't quite understand, but he was doing it with more enthusiasm and energy than he'd ever had before.

Though, to say he was happy with where he was might be too strong of a sentiment. He was content with the strides he was taking, and glad that when he reached the destination, he'd have benefitted from the journey. 

"Honestly, it feels weird not to struggle," he said. "It feels like I should be doing more, like what I've been doing up until now is only the start of a marathon." Wasn't that what grinding in MMOs transitioning into Raid culture always felt like? Or maybe the fact that this was more real, more immersive feel more impactful. "It sort of feels like the numbers never really mattered. I'm not sure I like it."

Though he said very little, Alkor might have delivered enough content for a thirty minute speech. That had always been his way, allowing her to read between the lines, and glean far more from what was left unsaid. So the blonde simply nodded again, then shifted to secure Scarecrow's Sickle on across her back. The familiar motion gave her a few seconds to think, and even still, she remained silent for a few beats longer. How could she voice her thoughts without appearing patronizing? And how could she convince someone who had always trusted the numbers that he had left a very real impact on the game? How could she explain that he had affected her, too, and not stumble down that old "touchy-feely" road she had traveled so many times before?

When she finally spoke, she did so slowly, each word a calculated risk. "I understand how you feel. I've watched people shoot from level one to level eighty in the time it takes me to gain a level or two. I haven't been doing nearly enough, and the hard numbers make that painfully clear." Lessa drew in a long breath, then slowly let it out again. "But I do think that there are times when the numbers don't matter. Or at least, they don't tell the whole story. Even those level ones in the Town of Beginnings may have found a place for themselves, working in shops, or maybe with the orphaned kids. They're definitely leaving their mark on the world, and helping clear the floors in their own way."

Might as well go the distance. "And you've changed a lot. Not just getting stronger, but in a bunch of different ways. The way you carry yourself, the way you fight, even the way you talk." She motioned with one hand, cutting the air as she struggled to find the exact words. "You're just.. lighter, somehow. So maybe you're not struggling so much because you've shed some of that weight that held you down. And maybe that's not such a bad thing."

Alkor heard her words and realized, in no small way, that they had come out of his mouth on more than one occasion. The importance of every single person trapped inside of Aincrad could not be overstated. The fact that a person did not go to the Frontlines in no way diminished the sacrifice they made or the contributions. While Thom felt that was very true, he also suddenly recognized that he was holding himself to a higher standard. He had made the decision to join the Frontlines so long ago, and so much of that stayed with him. 

Even through a brush with death, he expected himself to be better. 

With a sigh, Alkor closed his eyes. If anyone could see through the mask he always wore- even if it had changed shapes and appearance- it was Lessa. He'd met many people in Aincrad, but none of them put the effort to understand him in that she had. Just because he didn't want to change, didn't mean he hadn't. The end of the beginning had come with a breakdown born of misunderstanding.

A misunderstanding that Alkor didn't know about until years later, and still wasn't sure he had rectified. She was here, though. She was being kind, and all of her words pointed toward sincerity. Sometimes, all you can do is have faith in other people.

It was all he could do, now. Thom had to trust that things were better, and that he hadn't ruined something else he touched. It was when she said that he'd changed that he finally looked her way. She was right. He knew that. There wasn't a doubt in his mind.

"...is that good?" he asked. He turned completely to face her now. "Am I someone totally different now? When I leave this world, will anyone recognize me?" 

Years had flown by. People had lived entire years of their natural lives within a virtual prison, and their experiences were bound to shape them. But in the real world, Alkor stood to have already lost so much. Would he lose himself, too?

"It's good." Whereas she had put so much thought into her earlier words, these spilled out without a second's hesitation. But she hadn't needed any additional time, because she had been so sure of her answer. Still, she might have made the exact mistake she had been hoping to avoid. Had her lack of consideration, or the speed with which she'd delivered her response, made it seem forced? "And I'm not just saying that because I think it's what you want to hear." Something that Lessa had always prided herself on was her transparency. Even if she said the wrong thing, or took the wrong action, explaining her thought process often lessened the blow. Besides, she owed it to Alkor to be as thorough as possible.

A sudden rustle to their right had the woman flinching, her right hand shooting to her sword's hilt. A bird burst from a bush, brightly colored wings spread as it pinwheeled into the canopy. Lessa expelled the breath she hadn't realized she'd drawn, then shifted back to Alkor. "Want to walk a bit?" she asked him. "At least away from the Monkey King's spawn point? He wasn't all that tough, but I don't think we have any reason to fight him again."

Only once they had begun walking again did Lessa continue. "You're not totally different. You're still the same guy that I met in the Town of Beginnings. But you've..." She winced a bit, then finished, "evolved. I know that's a stupid way to explain it, but you've found a better version of yourself. You've grown. That doesn't just come from gaining levels, or killing mobs, or getting better gear. It comes from taking a real look at yourself, and saying 'this could be better.'" She glanced toward him, then shifted her eyes back to the overgrown path. "I've been having that conversation with myself a lot. I need to let go of the negativity I've been holding onto for years. It's not doing anyone any favors, so what's the point, right?" 

After a few beats of silence, she concluded with, "Anyway, I guess I don't think change is a bad thing here. I'd honestly be more worried if you weren't changing, after everything you've been through." Lessa gave a quick one-shouldered shrug, unsettling the long cloak that hung from a clip there. "Some people may not recognize you, but the people who really know you... they still will."

"Yeah," he agreed. "Let's walk."

While neither of them would struggle with the Monkey King if they had to fight again, he personally felt no desire to do so. After the massive letdown, and now with confusing emotions welling up, all he wanted to do was slow down and think. 

In truth, he expected Lessa to be the first one to find the change positive. Though he was uncertain of anything else he knew that the change from abrasive, silent, and aloof made him seem more approachable. Lessa had always found him difficult to reach. Now here she was telling him all these things about change and how it could be positive.

The floor beneath his feet varied wildly. From rampant growth to vivid blooms that flourished in the humidity, he noted how pains were taken to differentiate small details. Most games recycled data for the small things, and while SAO absolutely did it in places, it was unique in that uniformity did not exist in the most basic of senses. It was almost as though they were in a botanical garden.

He thought for a moment that the stakes was true of people. Much of humanity shared a common ancestor; but none of them were precisely identical, and no two were the same. Change was a strange concept because changing something unique about them slowly eroded their uniqueness. That was why he was afraid of losing himself.

Alkor stopped and touched the petal of a large flower, tilting his head curiously. 

"I think I'm worried that I'm not doing enough," he said honestly. "Back home, I was useless. I went to work and came back to bed. When I wasn't working or sleeping, I was playing games. I put strain on my parents because they had to hire nursing staff because I wasn't reliable. I'm always worried that other people are being put out because I've made myself a burden," he said, closing both eyes.

"I won't let that happen again," Alkor told Lessa. "I won't ever fail to be there for people who need me."

His parents had to hire nursing staff? As she processed the new information, Lessa thought back to previous conversations that she had had with Alkor. Or, at least, she tried to. It had been six years since the pair had first discussed their home lives, and she could not recall a time when he'd brought his up since then. Alkor hardly struck her as the type to share personal information, no matter how thoughts of home seemed to affect him. Lessa recalled him talking about a grandma, and needing to get back to her, but the rest remained just out of her grasp. Had Alkor really been so irresponsible in the real world?

"I can understand why you'd feel like you have something to prove," she replied, reaching out to shove at an enormous leaf that bowed into their path. "While I have a hard time imagining someone with your drive as ever being useless, I also recognize how being trapped here can change a person. But if you weren't reliable then, I think you've more than made up for it here." That wasn't the whole truth, and they both knew it. So she amended, "I do think maybe things were different when we first met, but since you've come back, you've shown me you're someone who can be trusted. I can count on you"

Then, as the hint of a smile ghosted across her lips, she added, "And you know I've never thought of you as a burden."

It was true that he very rarely shared information about himself. Before everything changed, he never intended to let anyone get close to him. Knowledge of the person behind the character was priceless. It made them more aware of the weakness that he kept hidden, and the things that could tear him open. Without those weaknesses, he was unreachable. The only death he could die was literal death. Now, he could lose friends. He could lose much more, because more things had become precious. In some ways, it made him weaker, but in many more it made him strong. He was strong because he had more reasons to fight, and things worth protecting. Someone without that wouldn't make the effort that Alkor did. Someone who didn't work as hard as him couldn't even come close.

Lessa had always been that way. It was through watching her that he learned what he lacked. It was through their interactions that he grew into something less contemptable. When she said that he'd made up for all the worthlessness, he knew that he still had a long way to go; but hearing it made him feel that everything was worth it. For Lessa to give him that level of praise meant that she could see something different in him, something better. It meant that someone who he looked up to could see his effort. For a moment, he could feel his grandmother's spirit in those words, her kind, wrinkled fingers touching his shoulder. He could feel something warm and gentle in it.

Then she said she could count on him. His gaze snapped toward her, expression filled with uncertainty. What did that mean? No one had ever said that to him. No one had ever said he was reliable, nor had he ever felt that he was. His entire body was warm, like there was a fire burning just beneath his skin. Was this embarrassment? Elation? Perhaps a bit of both? He'd never experienced anything quite like it, so he had no idea what he should say. His mouth was slightly ajar, his body frozen as he looked for the words to say. How did he begin to respond to something like this?

I've never thought of you as a burden.

Alkor closed his mouth and took a deep breath. Sometimes, the easiest answer to give was the one you didn't have to go looking for. "...thanks, Lessa," he said quietly.

Had she broken him?

Those eyes, like the aged whiskey on her grandpa's top shelf, met and held hers with an intensity she hadn't expected. While she struggled to place the emotions that swam in those endless pools, Lessa thought she recognized a bit of uncertainty. A bit of appreciation. Maybe a bit of panic? As crimson crept across his cheeks, she had a sudden urge to reach out and clasp his shoulder. But deep down, she knew that she would benefit more than he would from the gesture. Alkor may have undergone quite a transformation, but she highly doubted he was suddenly the touchy-feely type.

When he finally spoke, the two simple words carried more weight than an entire monologue. "Yeah," she answered him, her voice equally soft against the rumble of the jungle. Staring up at him, a sudden tightness in her chest had Lessa drawing in a slow, measured breath. Her first friend in Aincrad, and her first loss there, too. He had meant so many things to her over the years, and their friendship had more zig-zags than a mountain road. Yet despite all of the changes, or "evolutions," they still managed to face Sword Art Online side-by-side. Once, he had been her entire world. Now, she was content simply having him on her team.

"Hey," she began suddenly. "Listen. I know that the last guild didn't really pan out, but there's something I'd like to talk to you about."