[PT-SP-F10] Peerless Swordsmanship I - Back To Square One?

"Strange..."
"I'm pretty sure I'm somewhere on the upper floors..."
"Why am I..."

Distant clanging could be heard somewhere, sometime it was rattlling, and if you listen closely you can even hear a grating sound as if something heavy is being dragged. Light was scarced, the air smells really bad with how rust and the dampness of the walls combine its scent. It was familiar to him, he spent a lot of his time in this place, he would venture with little to no preparation here.

"Tartarus" he uttered under his breath. Crozeph was lying down on the floor, his eyes fixated on the ceiling as voices of ghosts emanated from the dark jail cells. He wasn't sure how long it has been but if he was still alive then it hadn't been that long. 

"Weird, I don't remember wearing a shirt like this, did Cardinal intrude our inventories again?" he was confused as to why he was lightly dressed. He was sure that he wore A coat and a shirt but now It was just a coat and some kind of shirt he would wear back then when he was studying in college. "Definitely tampered, but it feels like there's been huge changes-" he stood up and looked around him. The weaker hiding.pngmobs seem to keep their distance with him while the stronger once stood their guard, a weird situation and Crozeph was confused "aw come on guys! are you seriously afraid of a mid-tier player holding a kata-" as he lifted his hand, he saw it. A katana so close to pitch black yet still recognizable "what in the fuck?" he said as he looked closer at it.

Cro stat.png

"So this is the dredges of Shadow's power..." he inspected it as if he was searching for a code in a spicy anime site. "Does this mean it will enable me to roast people better?" the thought of having another way to improve triggering people off seemed like a great idea to him "but hiding.pngthen again this is Shadow we're talking about, that guy had tendrils sprouting everywhere" the ghostly figures around him shrunk into their cells as he kept moving the katana inspecting its quality, despite lacking some good merchant or appraiser skills. 

"The enhancements are quite powerful, if I really have this in my hands now and not tripping balls then..." he chuckled at the thought "maybe I did land a critical blow on him or prolly dropped this off his pocket-" as he continued to ponder about what his new katana can do, a loud booming sound echoed at the end of the hallway where the jail cells line-up like cages in a dog pound. "Ah got too absorbed with this thing, it would be better if I test it out but first-" he opened his inventory, the humungous creature carrying some kind of mace starts charging towards him. "Yeah just let me eat this first."

Crozeph | HP: 720/720 | EN: 90/90 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 54 | ACC: 4* | EVA: 1 | FLN: 16 | Phase | REC: 3 | LD: 1
Prison Guard | HP: 400/400 | DMG: 124

Where the hell are my food Shadow!?" Crozeph yelled as he glared as his new katana "you can take away my pride, or any old underwear-" the prison guard charges nearer as Crozeph continued to lash out at his katana "-don't you fucking dare to take away my food, MY WIFE COOKS THEM FOR ME!" he added. The prison guard roared as it raised the maze up ready bash Crozeph's head like an egg. "You better make up for my lack of food with your prowess you George Carlin wannabe."

The Guard took a wide swing but Crozeph dodged it enough for him to swoop in for a sword art "all right, San-" Crozephhiding.png rolled forward away from the prison guard "dafuq? no names of the sword art? something's not right" he thought. The enemy swung it's mace again but he jumped back, left hand on the hilt of his katana "ok recall an edgy katana Crozeph from the animes we've watche-" he dodged again and took two steps sideways. He unsheathed his katana, aiming the hilt at the guard's throat sending it back "that should establish the pecking order here."

ID: 195606 BD: 3+4=7 success] MD: 3-1 [fail]
Crozeph dealt 20 x 12 [R5 ST-1] = 160 damage to Prison Guard

Crozeph | HP: 720/720 | EN: 81/90 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 54 | ACC: 4* | EVA: 1 | FLN: 16 | Phase | REC: 3 | LD: 1
Prison Guard | HP: 240/400 | DMG: 124

The prison guard gasped for air, it was a weird sight for Crozeph. He wasn't aware that mobs had wind pipes because it looked like the prison guard is suffering from asthma right in front of him "you okay buddy?" he asked. The towering guard began flailing its mace out of control, a mix of desperation and rage clearly seen. Crozeph made note of it, jumping back as each swing and crash would feel like reaching him "no sword art names, weird maybe I can rename them if I want to"  as his attention drifted from the strange phenomenon and the big guy before him a notification appeared.

"ST-I landed successfully, ST-II ready"

Crozeph raised an eyebrow "a stronger version of one earlier" he thought. It would be a chance to land another blow and finish off the guard. He took one step back and positioned himself to a thrusting stance "this should work, another thrust to it's throat" Crozeph lunged forward and then it happened...

annoyed.pngTendrils sprouted out of the katana's blade as it turned pitch black, a screeching sound echoed in the hallway that sent the weaker mobs fleeing for their lives. The tendrils spread out but Crozeph was still a few feet away, he was supposed to build momentum but it seems the weapon was eager to annihilate. "Shit! this katana is too excited!" he muttered. All sharp ends of the tendrils converged and tore through the prison guard's throat and then finished the job by spreading again tearing the poor mob apart. After a few second all of it went back hastily to the blade and a pop-window appeared showing the loot.

"Woah"

ID: 195740 BD: 6+4=10 [success] CD: 3 MD: 5-1=4 [fail]
Crozeph dealt 20 + 16 FLN x 15 [R5 ST-II] = 540 damage to Prison Guard

Crozeph | HP: 720/720 | EN: 81/90 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 54 | ACC: 4* | EVA: 1 | FLN: 16 | Phase | REC: 3 | LD: 1
Prison Guard | HP: 0/400 | DMG: 124

LD: 12+1=13 CD: 3
obtained: T1 trinket | 2,160 col | x2  bonus materials | 1,440 bonus col

The weaker mobs ran away as they saw what happened to the prison guard, maybe it was expected since the prison guard is considered on the high place of the food chain but Crozeph wasn't sure that was possible. "Edgy" he uttered, continuously inspecting the features of the katana. This is the first time he also used a weapon with a fallen enhancement, he knew he had one from Night but he never got the chance to use it.

"All black, can be easily concealed in the shadows, and has quite a destructive way of manifesting the enhancement" he wasn't sure also if it was safe to wield. It's not like the weapon can possess him, probably the nonsense he will never entertain. Things are strange but manageable for now

"Top this off with sword arts looking like it's been reset, I guess finding my way out of this prison is what I should do first."

Edited by Crozeph
word count

The crashing of a bunk bed scattered rodents in another floor below. Their red eyes cowering as the rusty bed bent as if it was a pretzel. The place was still as lively as a prison yet its denizens aren't really the human-friendly type. From somewhere the Banshee's scream would emanate on a random hallway. Jail cells that are completely consumed by darkness had groups of mobs gathered inside, and the sound of grating steel on the floor or pounding in the walls are what one would hear right now.

Then there's this idiot trying to find his way out of Tartarus...

Crozeph was the one who sent the bunk bed down, he was on top of it too. the bed twisted and snapped but he managed to jump off before it could shatter completely "it'll just respawn back to the cell where I got it" he thought. Things could get awry anytime soon, that's why he's keeping close watch of what is happening around him. Low mitigation on his cloth armor, his evasion from his skill, too many factors that can lead to danger and the best course of action is to get out, walk to Yomi and pack up some stuff from his shop.

If only that was easy to do right now, two mobs are already standing near the end of the hallway where he thinks an exit might exist.

Lancer of Tartarus | HP: 450/450 | DMG: 125 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 1
Kage No Nobushi | HP: 450/450 | DMG: 125 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 1

Two spear wielders, one holding the western looking halberd and the other a guard that holds a naginata. "Oh great, something to actually inflict pain with range" he thought as he unsheathed the katana again. He is aware how terrible his armor is, the opponents he's facing right now would also be much more dangerous with the reach oftheir weapons "a weapon for thrusting against one for slicing?" 

The three charged at each other, Crozeph quickly accessed one AoE attack from the system and plunged his katana on the ground. Shadow-like tendrils sprouted and struck the Nobushi but the Lancer found an opening dodge his AoE attack. Crozeph pulled out his katana and spun around doing a circular motion but the lancer and nobushi thrusts their spears forward damaging him "obviously" he thought. The reach was a slight disadvantage, he knew that. Crozeph tried to think of any stances he can reference for his attacks

ID: 196934 BD: 1 + 4 - 1 = 4 [Fail]
ID: 196535 BD:  5+ 4 = 9 [success] 20 x 11 AoE I = 220 damage to Lancer of Tartarus
ID: 196536 MD: 8 - 1 + 1 = 8 [success]
ID: 196567 MD: 10 = [Critical Success]

Crozeph | HP: 576/720 | EN: 81/90 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 54 | ACC: 4* | EVA: 1 | FLN: 16 | Phase | REC: 3 | LD: 1
Lancer of Tartarus | 
HP: 450/450 | DMG: 125 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 1
Kage No Nobushi | HP: 230/450 | DMG: 125 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 1

Edited by Crozeph

Sure enough there was no pain, Cardinal has long been keeping it PG-13 for the masses but Crozeph knew there was a different kind of pain to be felt... the pain of having an armor that is weak on facing two mobs. Lancer quickly moved in, eager to tear a set of new holes to Crozeph "never forgetti, lancers have E luck" Crozeph told him as the lancer exchange blows with Crozeph which the player shrugs off with deflects for now. 

The nobushi thought it would be a great opportunity to slice at his back with her naginata. She lunged forward, naginata lowered and ready for an upward attack but as soon as she aimed for his spine, the players katana let out darkness as if it was ready for a kill. Crozeph's movement became blurry and in a second his katana pierced through the nobushi's neck. "Suck right?" he uttered as the nobushi gave a gurgled response before shattering into pixels.

"Guuuoooohhh!" the lancer roared.

"Oh, I guess they allow relationships in this workplace" Crozeph told the lancer, his eyes looking at him as if mocking the lancer with the death of the nobushi "it's weird for mobs to gain a little sentience, but then Night has a girlfriend who is an NPC-" he raised his katana, ready to face the lancer one on one "rumors though, haven't proven it yet."

ID: 197098 BD: 10 [critical success] 20 + 2 x 12 = 264 damage to Kage No Nobushi | CD: 8 [+3 EN]
ID: 197099 MD: 2 - 1 = 1 [fail] 

Crozeph | HP: 576/720 | EN: 72/90 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 54 | ACC: 4* | EVA: 1 | FLN: 16 | Phase | REC: 3 | LD: 1
Lancer of Tartarus | 
HP: 450/450 | DMG: 125 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 1
Kage No Nobushi | HP: 0/450 | DMG: 125 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 1

AAAArrrrrrghhh!

The lancer roared again, its eyes filled with anger enough to power at least three car batteries. Crozeph couldn't give a damn though, his katana is raring to go at it again. "The remnants of Shadow's power, now at the player's fingertips" he uttered as if it was a really tragic yet ominous story "well I'm holding it with my hand not my fingertips so I guess that's different."

The lancer charged forward, his spear that looked like it was filled to the brim with tetanus is aimed at Crozeph's head and then his neck. He lowered his katana and once again it oozed out shadow hiding the form of his attack. "That's more like it, hide the chance to dodge" he thought. He leapt forward and his arm was revealed, coated with what seemed like black goo. 

Guuuuooooohhhh!

The lancer didn't flinch, nor was there doubt in his attack. "E rank luck" Crozeph muttered. he raised his arm and thrusts the katana towards the lancer's chest. tendrils crept out of the blade pulling the lancer towards it "yep, hungry for kill" Crozeph took one more step forward and pierced the chest of the lancer. Before the lancer could react for an attack, the shadow tore him apart following Crozeph's downward swing and the lancer shattered...

Ransa ga shinda...

ID: 197153 BD: 6 + 4 - 1 = 9 [success] CD: 1 | 20 + 16 [Fallen] x 15 [ST II] = 540 damage to Lancer of Tartarus

Crozeph | HP: 576/720 | EN: 72/90 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 54 | ACC: 4* | EVA: 1 | FLN: 16 | Phase | REC: 3 | LD: 1
Lancer of Tartarus | 
HP: 0/450 | DMG: 125 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 1
Kage No Nobushi | HP: 0/450 | DMG: 125 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 1

The hallways got silent, the only thing one would hear was the sound of rats running in the crevices or the occasional grunts of weak mobs lurking in the dark. Crozeph slowly slid his katana back to its sheathe as after the defeat of the last spear wielder. There are several questions and he was sure that he can get answers as soon as he get his ass out of prison. 

"Two more floors below and I'll see an exit" he thought. He knew the place enough to see his way out, the method was weird but it sure was effective for people like him who sucks at reading maps even with the cursor pointing him to his destination if he marks it. Sound of water dripping, the tiny sounds made by rats and mobs scurrying somewhere, and the growl of stronger and bigger mobs in the lower floors of the prison.

He wasn't sure if he can take those on and it would be stupid to do so with the looks of his equipment, he was more than a glass cannon, he looked more akin to a paper mache bazooka. Crozeph continued and made his way down, the next floor should have less mobs and will be easier to pass until he reaches the exit.

There are many questions that needed answering but Crozeph wasn't sure if Tartarus was the right place to go into deep thoughts about what happened. His only recollection was hitting Shadow who was close to death only to find it impossible to kill him without handling the small fry mobs that are still alive. He wanted to get the last hit but somehow failed yet he still got "an edgy katana on it's rebellious emo phase" he uttered. Sure it was powerful but Crozeph needed to control how it affects his attacks, aesthetic or not. 

He turned around and tried to see if some warden was following behind, one couldn't be so complacent in such a place, for all he knows he could meet Prison Mike or Dirty Mike and the boys. It made him shudder just thinking about it and so he quickly made his way out of the hallway and finally reach the floor where the exit is.

"Finally, now to find a place where I can think things through. Would be nice if I have a shop in Yomi... oh wait I do have one."

• 1 month later...

Out of the prison for fallen angels the player goes, such a simple task...
It would be a shame if he got himself involved in someone else's mess...
Out of convenience to the plot...

He stepped out, trying to take in a fresh set of air in an underground level. There may be no such thing as a floor debuff inhaling the scent but Crozeph knew that it always smells like a river filled with garlic and rotten pasta. He stared at it, the Stygian river, for many months or weeks as he wallowed in his own incompetency. Everything changed now though, he has Yuki, Jacob's Ladder welcomed him through Mari and Baldur, he had badass allies like Night and Hidden... not bad for someone like him who wants to keep a friends list as short as an ecchi anime skirt.

"Well, the first thing to do is find some way to make this katana less 'teenage problems' and more 'lovecraftian horror' for me" he muttered. The first few steps was easy, he was a good distance away from Tartarus and all he ever wanted was to retrace some steps and get home to Yuki's arms.

"...mister, may we ask your help?"

"No"

A quick reply to the group of players, Crozeph didn't want another "Shirogane Chosa"incident to happen where he helps one for the greater good. He may have no ill will against anyone now but he's not a hero or savior either. There's only one thing in his mind right now, get home to sort things out with his new weapon and the seemingly new system, nothing more nothing less.

"Please we need your help, our sword arts seemed different now"

Crozeph took a few steps away from them, he had the same problem too. Of all the things to happen, meeting fellow players who are struggling with the changed system was something he didn't also want. This could get bad for them or for him real quick, no one want that... especially him.

"I can't help if I'm back to... square one"

It was as if he unexpectedly triggered something inside him just by thinking about those two words. He paused for a moment, the group looking at him expectantly upon seeing him stop. "Damn you Azide and Baldur, you two just keeps on reminding me why I'm part of a guild back then and now" he muttered as he turned around to face them "I could help but we all are in the same stinky boat of these new sword arts."

A boy wearing some kind of bronze armor approached him, he was holding a lance for jousting. Crozeph wasn't how that would work but anything is possible in Aincrad as it follows the system. "It seems that the description for sword arts have been erased, I know most players have deviated from the basics but for us who relies on it, we are in a pinch" he told him. "Normally we'd do this as a group but we are scared to venture out or enter..."

"So what do you really need?"

He asked him to which the boy nodded his head knowing that Crozeph wasn't liking the beating around the bush. "We saw you waltz our of Tartarus like it was nothing and we figured that you had a clue of what happened already."  Crozeph bit his lip, his carefree attitude gave them an impression as some kind of badass "shit, how do I deal with this?" he asked himself.

"Act like Baldur, act like Baldur..."

"We stick with the basics for now?" one of them asked. It was the first thing that he uttered, he was even trying to impersonate Baldur. The three players before him looked at each other. One was holding a lance for jousting, the second had a scimitar, and lastly the girl had a two-handed sword.

"This is quite the trio, it eerily reminds me of a certain group" he thought as he watched them talk amongst themselves. Tartarus was never a pleasant place, he was simply numb to what it offers to anyone who dares to enter. The three players sees him as someone who was strong enough to take on what's inside alone but in reality, he was just used to it.

Crozeph noticed the girl taking a peek at the doorstep of the gigantic gates of Tartarus "she must be interested in going there, that would be one hell of a death wish" he thought. It might only be a matter of seconds until one utters nonsense to him.

"If you're not new to mmorpg stuff, you'd know the basics if certain weapons" he told them and before things could get awry, he warned the girl who has a two-handed sword on her back "Tartarus is no joke, I only manage to go in and out because I know the place quite well despite some spawning secret rooms. If I were you, I'd reach a certain level first before going in there and trust me-" he pointed at the large gate behind him "it's easy to move inside when you're alone, it's safer to be in there with a group but no one should be complacent no matter how much you want to go in there."

The girl nodded in dismay, he could see it. "Always remember that there's no respawn button here, I'd feel better if you try testing your mettle with the atrocities that emerges from the Stygian" he told them. The group's eyes lit up, as if his recommendation was something they were waiting for.

"Now, tell me if you know how to use your weapons properly."

"My lance is for piercing, his scimitar is for slash attacks, and her two-handed sword works both as a slashing and bludgeoning weapon" the boy with the lance told him. Crozeph nodded in satisfaction "well I guess I have nothing to tell you, work something out and you might just be able to use sword arts again. Try it out in the Stygian and make sure you're near the settlement so you can easily retreat." He waved his hand and was about to turn around when the group bowed and thank him. He returned the gesture and saw them talk to each other how to fight the mobs as they make their way to the Stygian.

"I guess I should make my way back to Yomi, see if I can sort something out of all these changes" 

The place had no notable changes in terms of mobs, the ones roaming around are still what Crozeph kills in his free time (even though he makes excuses to have more free time). There was certainly a different feel to Yomi, the underground settlement was his home for so long and despite living with Yuki, he would visit the place time to time just to see what the people are up to. The guardians still stood by the gates, ready to bar mobs and player killers alike. Yomi remained as some kind of Japanese ghost town and he liked it that way.

"Mister, it's been a while"

"Ah it's the annoying twins of Yomi" 

Crozeph quipped as soon as he saw the two girls holding hands together. In his stay inside Yomi, he made quite a few allies that serves well in times of need. He didn't ask for them but they helped him a lot and one of those is the twins, Hatsune and Zatsune. He met when asked Night for a duel where the twins secured an are where they can duke it out with their awesomesauce katana. 

It was at that point where the people of Yomi finally acknowledged his existence, that there is a merchant inside who fought well enough. He lost the duel but people seem to take a liking to him now. They somehow knew that Night was stronger than him and that cutting her hair was the last reason for her to hold back. 

"Well look at you, looking like an edgy batman"

Crozeph scratched his head, his hair was indeed back to its raven-black color. It's not like he hates it, just that it feels like he's back to the start. After he and Yuki decided to get married after the boss battle, he dyed his hair to remind him that everything is different now. With his hair back in black, he was wondering "does this mean I'm still the same no matter how different my hair color is?"

"Wait, isn't Batman already edgy?" he asked.

Zatsune took one step forward, finger pointed at Crozeph as if she was really displeased by the statement "Batman? edgy? fuck no!" she told him. Crozeph gave in another thought "he does, a rich guy who is edgy-" Zatsune grabbed him by the collar despite being shorter than him. Hatsune quickly tried to pull her sister away "you uncultured swine! Batman is just dark and brooding!" she yelled. Crozeph tried to pry away her hand as he tries to give a reply "bitch that's what being edgy is"  he told her. 

"Zatsune please, we need to find a job instead of fighting over whether Batman is edgy or not" she told her twin.

Crozeph stopped pulling back causing for Zatsune to pull him closer. The girl became flustered as soon as she caught his scent and kicked him back "fucking Araragi" she growled. Crozeph just gave her a disinterested looked and shifted his eyes to Hatsune "a job? you're looking for one?" he asked. Hatsune lowered her head "y-yes, the reason we looked for you is because maybe you have a job for us and pay us for our services?" she asked him.

"Let's go to my shop and talk about a very simple job."

"Look for two people?"

Hatsune asked, it seemed like an easy job and she wasn't sure if Crozeph was messing with them or not. "Yep, they're newbies under my care and after the boss fight I can't seem to pinpoint their exact location. I mean I could but I have some pressing matters to attend for now" he told them both. "I don't mean to be intrusive but what pressing matters are you going to attend to that you'll leave this job to us?" Zatsune was curious, knowing him, it felt like he is just trying to slack off using his col.

"First, I gotta figure out this sword art changes. Second, look for my wife. Third, meet up with anyone from Jacob's Ladder and talk about guild stuff-" he took out his new katana and showed it to them. The weapon was looking ominous but it seemed to be subdued by its owner "this weapon, I need to get used to it too"  he told them. "Shirogane and Plini, they're not that hard to spot. Shiro is pretty and quite a bashful person. Plini on the other hand is a no-nonsense guy, or maybe he just understands things a little different from most. Find the two and I'll pay you your price." With that now out of his mind, Crozeph sat beside his kotatsu, tea freshly brewed "I'm sort of back to square one, it'll be a disappointmnet if I got stuck in it again."

~Thread End~

Summary:

Word Count: 4,232
EXP: 4,232 / 10 * 6 / 1 = 2,538
Col: 400
Summary completed by Nari-Lanreth. Next time please have it included.