SP - F26 No Time Like The Present

It was a quiet dusk at Baldur's estate, with no seeming movement about the quarters. The sun barely peeked over the horizon, bathing the sky with faint colors of yellow, orange, and purple. In the real world, most people would likely still be asleep, or just barely getting their day started. Only those who worked night shifts and burned the midnight oil would be expected to be awake.

This was the time that the faint sound of a sliding door could be heard at one corner of the estate, with a young man stepping through the passage and closing it behind him, a calm and focused look on his face. With a small breath which became tangible as it turned into mist, the blue-haired player turned, making his way through the wood-floored halls over to the long stretch of stone steps leading up to the estate's main entrance. Lost deep in thought

briefly glanced down at his right palm, as if visualizing something within it before returning his hand to his jacket pocket.

"It's been quite some time since the last floor boss battle, so long that I doubt many from the guild have had the time to get familiarized with what happened. In fact I wonder how many of the frontliners have even picked up their weapons since then, tested their changed stats and gotten a feel for their characters again...I for sure am not one of them. In fact...I wonder if I even know what the heck I even am as a player of this game anymore..."

"...well...if I don't find out, I'll never know. No time like the present to put it to the test..."

As he stepped onto the boat leading away and back to the main plaza of the floor, the Ultramarine Knight had one destination in mind.

The newly unlocked floor, Floor 26...

Calrex's Stats:

Spoiler

Calrex | HP: 920/920 | EN: 104/104 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 122 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 0 | BH: 50 | TAUNT | Achilles(See Achilles in Skills/Mods for details)

Equipped Gear:

Grand Legionbreaker (T4 Perfect): DMG / DMG / DMG

Grand Chariot IV (T4 Perfect): MIT / MIT / MIT

Rebellion of Sapphire (T1 Demonic): EVA / EVA / EVA / TAUNT

Battle Ready:

x1 Grand Gauntlets IV (T4 Perfect): DMG / DMG / DMG

x1 Basic Teleportation Crystal: Upon use, teleport to the nearest town next turn

x5 Safeguard Potion: First Attack Negated

Familiar:

Roc: Grappling Familiar

Combat Mastery:

Damage [Rank 3] (Tier 4)

Skills & Mods:

War Hammer [Rank 5]

Heavy Armor [Rank 5]: Impetus Mod / Iron Skin Mod

Battle Healing [Rank 5]: Emergency Recovery Mod

Fighting Spirit

Martial Arts [Rank 5]: Precision Mod

Quick Change

Survival

Disguise

Meditation

Achilles [Rank 5]: Direct final damage against user is reduced by 35%. Disabling effects remove the damage reduction effect for their duration. DoT effects will tick for an additional turn.

A blue flash appeared in the teleportation plaza of Ladonia as the Ultramarine Knight stepped out, already looked left and right in his surroundings. From what he had heard in passing from various NPCs and players as he had made his trip from Baldur's estate to here had warned that the main settlement in itself was not actually a large safe zone, as many had grown accustomed to from all of their previous settlements, "There's only one safe zone here, and it's definitely going to be smaller than anything compared to the Starting City. Well, I was hoping to test out whatever this new 3.0 changes are. I'd best get started."

Swiping to pull down his menu there were numerous things that Calrex had to have register in his mind. The changes he had made during the many nights in his room gave him the time to come up with something fairly theoretical to work with, but theory and application in this game had a tendency to be fairly distinct in outcomes from each other. "No matter how well-laid your designs are, if they're not tested then they'll only ever be good in theory. A decent plan in reality tends to work better than a perfect plan, right?"

He gave a small smirk to himself before glancing up at the sky, "Looks like there were some changes to how familiars behave as well. Unfortunately Roc, it seems I can no longer rely on your sharp eyes for aid in combat anymore. But, it does seem like there's another way you can still assist me pal."

The blue peregrine falcon materialized high overhead, weaving in and around various airships that were passing by. The bluenette gave a nod to his companion, acknowledging the creature's presence before continuing forward. "Well, better get myself ready for whatever comes next..."

His normal clothes flashed brightly as his character's normal attire was replaced by the all to familiar deep-sea blue armor he had worn ever since his early days in Aincrad. The Grand Chariot IV shimmered into existence, even more refined from Oikawa's original design than before. With the conversion he had to do, it was surprising just how much detail was able to come through. While his pendant shifted to around his neck, a new item came into existence.

What used to be his familiar battle-axe, the Grand Legionbane, was now a massive warhammer, the Grand Legionbreaker. With advice from his guildmates, the Ultramarine Knight had opted to go with a weapon that seemed to suit the new changes, and would hopefully still function in much the same form as his previous tool had before.

As he walked through the streets, the armored players eyes continued to casually scan left and right through the NPC crowds. It seemed that the people who were passing through were regular inhabitants of the expansive imperial city, "Nothing so far...now I almost stand out like a sore thumb among the people walking around. If anything I would look closer to a guard. Surprising none of them have approached me for something. Probably because I'm still a player character, and unless they're for triggering a quest I doubt most of these busybodies are going to interact with me."

"Still, doesn't look like I'm going to have any luck trying out any new combat stuff here..."

"Most likely because of the abundance of guards in this area. I might as well try looking in a different area...I have a feeling that there might be more likely chances for more...politically minded confrontations might occur in a different section of the area."

"Hm...where would there be a more likely clashing of different levels of this hierarchical society...yeah...probably the market..." 

Pulling up his map for a brief moment, Calrex oriented himself towards the direction of the Aquilainean Bazaar. "Where people of all sorts come to exchange goods, there more or less likely going to be some kind of scuffle that will arise, especially if any of the nobles are wandering around."

As he stepped into the bazaar, the Ultramarine Knight's eyes looked across the long stretches of stalls and shops, having some blend of discord and order at the same time. Majority of the shops were well organized, their wares laid in a manner that made it easy to peruse. On the other hand, there were smaller stalls where their wares were placed in no particular order, albeit in a open layout so that should a person literally look at a glance they could easily spot something if they had an idea of what they wanted in mind. There were a handful of guards around, staying at their posts with their arms at the side. Some were vigilant, diligently performing their duty of keeping any eye out for disturbers of the fragile peace that currently existed.

But, as Calrex continued further in, that peace was easily broken in the second place. He could hear the loud sounds of some kerfuffle that was currently in progress, "As much as it feels weird going towards something like this, I guess this is really the only form of player combat that can occur here, other than making a choice that'll turn you into a red or orange crystal."

The sounds of the conflict continued to grow until he began to notice a wall of people had formed, as if to clear space for something, "Guess I found whatever the commotion is that's happening here. Alright, excuse me, coming through, one side!"

Pushing his way through the crowd, eventually he made it through, looking onward at whatever was happening.

"You troglodyte! You dare try to take advantage of me?! This piece right here is worth more than your entire life! I could easily have you cut down right now, or you sell it to me for the price that I proposed earlier!"

At this pointe Calrex could already feel his ears deafening themselves for the sake of preserving his brain cells. Whatever was occurring was due to a noble flexing their authority, something that appeared to be all to common in Ladonia's walls, "I really should have picked a better floor to test these new changes out on. Being here makes it more difficult and less straightforward in terms of combat. I'm much more comfortable with the typical find mob, fight mob grind than whatever this is..."

Looking across from the noble, the armored player could see that the guard who served the noble were already surrounding the merchant, who had a look of absolute fear on his face. A few of the other guards were standing to the side, with bags in their hands, most likely some "incentive" provided so that they would not interfere with what was occurring, "Man this is really an eyesore isn't it...Whatever..."

Stepping out into the expanse of the crowd the armored blue player locked his gaze onto the noble, whose AI appeared to detect Calrex's appearance and turn to face him, "My my well isn't it another one of those new ragamuffins who...oh wait...that armor...oh I see, you're a more seasoned fighter aren't you? Run along, this is none of your concern."

"Seasoned would be putting my experience lightly. I've killed a lot more fierce a monster than whatever snake of a tongue you've got on you. Now how about you and your men pick up and clear out. You're clearly interrupting a place of business. I thought you liked wealth. Can't really leech it from others if they can't make it."

"I will have you know that I come from a line of fine wealthy noblemen and women, ones with all of the merits of one who should rightly serve under our Grand Imperator."

"Looks like that bloodline ran short on the merit of shutting your mouth."

As Calrex responded to each of the man's sentences, he could see his face getting redder and redder, his hand clenching into a fist, "Might want to take a breath before you boil over like a teapot."

A frustrated sigh escaped the nobleman's nose before he made a gesture. The guards that surrounded the merchant all came back, forming a half circle towards the Ultramarine Knight. The nobleman pulled out his blade, "These insults will not go unretorted!"

"Unretorted...geeze if you're gonna say a quip, at least use some real words. At least finally..."

Hefting the massive warhammer from his shoulder, Calrex let the heavy two-headed end fall to the ground, a visual crack forming on the tile, "...I can test this stuff out..."

Spoiler

ID: 196907-196910
Peeved Nobleman: 6 // 20 * 18 = 360 Damage
Nobleman Guard 1: 1 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 2: 10 // (20+2) * 18 - 20 = 376 Damage
Nobleman Guard 3: 8 // 20 * 18 - 20 = 340 Damage

Enemy:
Nobleman: 5 (Evasion -1) = 4 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 1: 1 (Evasion -1) = 0 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 2: 3 (Evasion -1) = 2 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 3: 2 (Evasion -1) = 1 // Miss

Sword Art <<Odin's Wrath>> / 16 + (2*3) = 22 Energy Used

Cooldowns:
Odin's Wrath: 0/4

As the nobleman and his guards readied themselves, Calrex gave a calming exhale, "New weapon, new Sword Arts. I'll need to prepare myself. It's still similar to wielding the battleaxe, but the movements are going to be more clunky as a result of this being a bludgeoning weapon. Need to keep that in mind...

Closing his hands around the end of the handle for the Grand Legionbreaker the blue armored player locked his gaze upon his targets, focusing on them in his mind. As he did, the light blue energy familiar to him for his Sword Arts began to form, but it took on a different shape. As the hammer head became coated with the enrgy, it began to crackle and hiss, with sparks erupting from various ends of the mass, almost as if the Ultramarine Knight was wielding Mjolnir itself, "Odin's Wrath is what this attack is called huh?"

Looking forward he planted his front foot, letting himself be taken over by the assisted system. His form shot forward before stopping right in front of the cluster of enemies, two-handed weapon already over his head in the process of descending. Even if the mobs had decided to strike now, there was no way the momentum was going to cease him from bringing the hammer down.

The most unfortunate person in place was the second guard, who was slammed into the ground directly by the massive hammer head, instantly bursting into crystals. In the meantime, the force of the shockwave send all but one of the guards back, the nobleman and other guard thrown onto their butts.

Spoiler

Calrex | HP: 920/920 | EN: 82/104 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 122 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 0 | BH: 50 | TAUNT | Achilles

Peeved Nobleman HP: 40/400 | DMG: 130
Nobleman Guard 1 HP: 372/372 | DMG: 124 | MIT: 20
Nobleman Guard 2  HP: 0/372 | DMG: 124 | MIT: 20
Nobleman Guard 3  HP: 32/372 | DMG: 124 | MIT: 20

Spoiler

ID: 196911-196913
Peeved Nobleman: 5 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 1: 8 // 20 * 18 - 20 = 340 Damage
Nobleman Guard 3: 5 // Miss

Enemy:
Nobleman: 6 (Evasion -1) = 5 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 1: 3 (Evasion -1) = 2 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 3: 3 (Evasion -1) = 2 // Miss

Sword Art <<Wallbreaker>> / 14 + (2*1) = 16 Energy Used / 4 Recovered

Cooldowns:
Odin's Wrath: 1/4
Wallbreaker: 0/3

"Y-You, how dare you! The audacity to think you can do that to me and my men!"

At this point the nobleman's AI generated words fell on deaf ears as Calrex tuned his surroundings out, focusing his entirety on learning the appropriate measures for wielding his new weapon. He definitely felt more powerful that he was before, but it still felt off. It was like he was moving his body in ways it was not accustomed to, rather than the familiar movements he had become accustomed to over so many battles, "Geeze, I'm feeling particularly slow, even though it seems like my hits are carrying much more weight. It's been some time since it's seemed like I've been able to hit this hard. Well, with that on cooldown now, guess I need to try something else..."

Hefting his weapon onto his shoulder the bluenette focused once again as the Sword Art energy reformed around the head of the warhammer once again, but this time instead of electrical energy, it solidified, taking the form of a massive spiked flail, even though the weight of the weapon didn't seem to change, "Well, alright then..."

Using his shoulders, the armored blue player made a couple of massive swings, the flail extending outwards and sweeping at his three remaining enemies. Unfortunately, the slower attack did allow the nobleman and the weaker of the two guards avoiding the attack. However, the full health guard, seemingly still recovering from avoiding Calrex's first attack, was caught in the side from the second one. The entire time none of them seemed to find an opening to strike back.

"So, just a friendly suggestion, if you're gonna draw your blade on someone, you should be resolved to actually use it instead of waving it around like some kind of intimidation stick."

Spoiler

Calrex | HP: 920/920 | EN: 70/104 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 122 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 0 | BH: 50 | TAUNT | Achilles

Nobleman Guard 1 HP: 32/372 | DMG: 124 | MIT: 20

Spoiler

ID: 196914-196917 (Ignore Roll 196916, Incorrect Target Name)
Peeved Nobleman: 2 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 1: 8 // 20 * 18 - 20 = 340 Damage
Nobleman Guard 3: 5 // Miss

Enemy:
Nobleman: 1 (Evasion -1) = 0 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 1: 5 (Evasion -1) = 4 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 3: 8 (Evasion -1) = 7 // 124 - 122 = 2 * 0.35 = 0.7 (Round Up to 1)

Sword Art <<Double or Nothing>> / 11 + (2*1) = 13 Energy Used / 4 Recovered

Cooldowns:
Odin's Wrath: 2/4
Wallbreaker: 1/3
Double or Nothing: 0/2

"Alright, next AoE I've got is...this one I think..."

Bringing the warhammer to the side, Calrex focus on the three human targets in front of him, giving a calming breath. By this point, the merchant the nobleman was threatening had already cleared away, and the guards which were paid off continued to refrain from stepping in. They had, after all, already received their extra money from the nobleman's guards, so there was not as much leverage to have them step in.

Sword Art energy formed around the Ultramarine Knight's weapon once again as he triggered <<Double or Nothing>>. Since he was already in fairly close range to his foes, it didn't take much for him to move into striking distance. The wide opening swing forced the nobleman, who was already on the backfoot, to fall over and narrowly avoiding the technique. The same could be said of the third guard, although the first guard met both strikes of the attack, being reduced to crystals just like the guard eliminated by the armored player's opening attack.

Looking up at his HUD for a brief moment Calrex saw three new indicators, "...this HUD is going to get crowded with all the cooldowns that I'll need to track."

Unfortunately, as he glanced away for a moment, the only remaining guard got to his feet, managing to take a swipe on the deep blue armor, a very small scratch forming to reflect the minimal damage the player beneath received, "Well...that's unfortunate..."

Spoiler

Calrex | HP: 919/920 | EN: 61/104 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 122 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 0 | BH: 50 | TAUNT | Achilles

Nobleman Guard 1 HP: 0/372 | DMG: 124 | MIT: 20

Spoiler

ID: 197662-197663
Peeved Nobleman: 5 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 3: 10 // (20+2) * 10 - 20 = 200

Enemy:
Nobleman: 1 (Evasion -1) = 0 // Miss
Nobleman Guard 3: 4 (Evasion -1) = 3 // Miss

Sword Art <<Twister>> / 8 + (2*1) = 10 Energy Used / 4 Recovered
Battle Healing +50

Cooldowns:
Odin's Wrath: 3/4
Wallbreaker: 2/3
Double or Nothing: 1/2
Twister: 0/2

"Alright...and now for this attack..."

"You vagrant! You've already killed two of my men, is that not enough?!"

The words of the nobleman still fell on deaf ears as the Ultramarine Knight let his mind be fully focused on the task of becoming acquainted with his new weapon. The warhammer certainly felt similar in some ways to when he wielded the two-handed battleaxe version of his old weapon, but it still had more heft to it and felt much heavier due to most of the weight being at the very end of the tool.

However, that weight could be used to the user's advantage. Bringing the weapon horizontally behind him, Calrex moved into a small spin, the pose needed to pick up his next Sword Art, <<Twister>>. As the assisted system took hold, he felt the moment continue to build more and more until the weapon was a bright glowing blue, turning his entire body into a deadly whirling top-like blur of movement. Feeling his avatar lock onto a target, a sensation much like a rubber band seemed to take hold in his mind, as if the blue armored played was controlling the trajectory. Orienting himself towards the space between the nobleman and the final remaining guard. Releasing the hold he felt his body jerk forward at high speed.

The nobleman barely avoided the strike, but the guard was not so fortunate, being caught in center as as Calrex flew by, bursting into crystals with no resistance. With the technique ending the bluenette planted his lead foot, tightening his core muscles to try and slow his spin. His right leg bent forward while his upper tosro reached past, the hammer ending on his right side with him folded over. With a calm sigh the Ultramarine Knight righted himself, turning back to face the final remaining enemy, "Alright, only one more to go."

Spoiler

Calrex | HP: 920/920 | EN: 55/104 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 122 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 0 | BH: 50 | TAUNT | Achilles

Nobleman Guard 1 HP: 0/372 | DMG: 124 | MIT: 20
Nobleman Guard 3  HP: 0/372 | DMG: 124 | MIT: 20

• 5 weeks later...
Spoiler

ID: 197664
Peeved Nobleman: 9 // (20+1) * 16 = 336

Enemy:
Nobleman: 6 (Evasion -1) = 5 // Miss

Sword Art <<Fling>> / 12 Energy Used / 4 Recovered

Cooldowns:
Odin's Wrath: 4/4
Wallbreaker: 3/3
Double or Nothing: 2/2

Twister: 1/2
Fling: 0/3

With a calming breath, the deep blue armored player turned to face the nobleman, who by this point was barely getting to his feet. To all the onlookers still remaining on the perimeter of the battle area, it was clear to see the difference in power between the two. At this point the finely-clothed NPC was shaking in his boots, his weapon unsteady. His guards were defeated swiftly, and the faint wounds that they had left on the frontline player were healed before it seemed like even a moment had passed.

"P-Please spare me! I-I'll give you whatever you want! What is it you desire?! Money! As much as you want! Just spare me!"

Completely focused on his final attack, Calrex bringing his warhammer over his head until the massive two-sided striking end crashed into the ground behind him, glowing with bright blue energy as his Sword Art charged. Beneath the expressionless helm of his armor, the young man gave a small sigh, his eyes locking onto his target. Right as his technique reached full power and his body began to be taken over by the assisted system, he only said one line in response, "Then you should have tucked your tail and run."

His hammer flew forward, the frontliner's own body being carried along with it, flying straight at the nobleman. Too stunned to even move, the hammer struck true, slamming right into and through the enemy's abdomen as the noble's form burst into into crystals. A long trough formed as the hammerhead slid against the ground, Calrex flying ovr the handle until he was jerked to a stop, landing on bent knees with one arm barely holding onto the end of the warhammer. With a quick tug, he released the Grand Legionbreaker from the ground before hefting it back onto his shoulder, "Well...that's done and over with..."

Spoiler

Calrex | HP: 920/920 | EN: 47/104 | DMG: 20 | MIT: 122 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 0 | BH: 50 | TAUNT | Achilles

Peeved Nobleman HP: 0/400 | DMG: 130
Nobleman Guard 1 HP: 0/372 | DMG: 124 | MIT: 20
Nobleman Guard 2  HP: 0/372 | DMG: 124 | MIT: 20
Nobleman Guard 3  HP: 0/372 | DMG: 124 | MIT: 20

• 1 month later...

There was an eerie level of silence in the aftermath of the battle, the blue armored player looking around. While some of the NPCs began to disperse, others lingered, cautiously staring at the frontliner, similar to how one might view a bear when encountering one on a hike. A small sigh escaped Calrex's lips before his warhammer vanished back into his inventory, "Whatever they think, I guess it's really none of my business. I'm not someone to fear, at least in terms of Aincrad's crystal color system."

Calmly walking past and back into the streets of the market, the Ultramarine Knight looked left and right, taking in the various shops as he passed, "These new changes definitely are something, but I think there's still some kinks in my build I'll need to get sorted out. It feels like I've lost more than I gained, but that could just be me. I'll probably need to test some more in order to get an idea of what exactly I need to polish with this thing."