[PP | F4] Conceal, Don't Feel, It's Gonna Snow <<Absolute Zero>>

Sitting inside the warm confines of the White Rabbit Tavern, Katoka took a sip of her coffee in the hopes that it would stave off the cold on the fourth floor. Looking irritated she once again opened her hud to check her messages. After learning that you could now receive an extra skill from a quest she had already done made her a bit annoyed. "Stupid Cardinal, making me have to come down here to this damn icebox of a level again." she pouted and took another sip of her drink. She had sent an invitation to Freyd again, might as well have him tag along like last time. They worked well together and despite them technically being the same level now, he was much stronger than her.

Knowing the starting location of the quest the samurai old her cowled friend to go ahead and meet her there, that way they could save a bit of time and just depart from the tavern and make their way towards the spawn area. Plus she wanted to have a warm drink beforehand in the hopes that it would help once they crunched their way into the frozen wilderness. The tavern itself was fairly full. Various players and NPC's milling about the interior with their drinks and food items. It was hot inside, almost to the point of being stifling if it hadn't been for the occasional gust of frigid air that blasted inside every time the door was opened.

Katoka would turn expectantly every time she heard the door open, and be disappointed at the lack of Freyd's figure in the doorway. "Where is he at? I swear he'll be late to his own funeral that man."

-----

Katoka | HP: 680/680 | EN: 102/102 | DMG: 23 | MIT: 78 | EVA: 1 | ACC: 4 | BLD: 48 | REC: 3

Spoiler

Katoka, The Cerulean Storm
Level: 31
Paragon Level: 8
HP: 680/680
EN: 102/102

Stats:
Damage: 23
Mitigation: 78
Evasion: 1
Accuracy: 4
BLD: 48
REC: 3

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Iridescent Edge (T4/Perfect/Katana) | BLD 1, DMG 2
Armor: Bushido Haori (T4/Perfect/Light Armor) | MIT 2, EVA 1
Misc: Black Zephyr’s Zeal (T3/Perfect/Trinket) | ACC 2, REC 1

Custom Skill:

Skills:
Curved Sword R1
Katana R5
Light Armor R5
Energist
Extended Mod Limit

Active Mods:
Meticulous
Vengeful Riposte

Inactive Mods:

Addons:
Ferocity
Stamina
Resolve
Precision

Active Extra Skills:
Concentration
Parry

Inactive Extra Skills:
Survival

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleportation Crystal x5
Starter Healing Potion x3

Housing Buffs:
Rested: -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Basic Training: +5% Exp to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

"You did the same thing last time, I believe."

The cold, monotone voice came suddenly and from immediately behind her.  Freyd wondered if he'd get himself stabbed one day, if he kept doing that.  The Whisper hadn't changed at all, or so it seemed until he slumped silently into a soft, furr-covered couch opposite to her.  A playfully wry grin curled the edge of his lips, which he quickly concealed behind a steam cup of black coffee - one of his only demonstrable vices.  The clothes still looked like he'd been in the wilderness for an age and a day, and was at risk of an anaphylaxic reaction if he every approached any form of laundromats.  Persi slunk out from beneath him and sniffed at the steam rising from his drink, as if the vapours alone were a treat.

"Isn't it taking nostalgia a bit far to keep repeating the same quest over and over again just to see me?  Most normal people just invite others over for a meal - or so I'm told."

His cowl was down.  It had taken a moment to realize it.  Joking aside, the man seemed both more weary and relaxed than the last time she had seem him - a typical Freydian paradox.  The same familiar mop of unruly, mousy-brown hair swayed in the breeze every time someone opened the tavern door, sending a chill through the Rabbit, that the Whisper simply ignored.

"And, shouldn't I have married you off by now, or something?  Longest.  Engagement.  Ever."

Spotting Alexander lounging in his usual cushy spot at the far corner of the bar, Freyd held up two black, leather fingers, like he was ordering drinks. Cardinal must have been been playing bar wench, as the quest pop-up appeared before them instantly.  Blue eyes curled in jest behind his mug as he slurped.  Blue... eyes?!  

Freyd chuckled as the penny finally dropped.  A gentle tap of his boot on the low, heavily worn wooden table between causes a muted flash of light and assortment of confections to appear.

"Eat up.  We have ice to go shave down to size."

Freyd | HP: 1000/1000 | EN: 134/134 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 103 | ACC: 7 | EVA: 3 | BH: 55 | LD: 5 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | Antidote [2/2]

Freyd offers:

Gugnir’s Shard (Untradeable/Unique/Reusable Consumable): Crème Brûlée Tray | ACC 2 | Feast (6/6) - takes 1 portion for himself
https://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/19579-freyds-evaluations/?do=findComment&comment=642553

To Katoka: 
Liquor of Light (Potion) | Damage 3 [178030-2]
Smores (Snack) | Evasion 2 [175577]

Freyd consumes: 

Super-Duper Anti Snake Sauce (Salve) | Antidote 2 [179928]
Liquor of Light (Potion) | Damage 3 [178029-2]
Smores (Snack) | Evasion 2 [175208-2] + filled

Full Stats:

Spoiler

Freyd, Firm Anima O&I Captain
Paragon Level: 87
HP: 1000/1000
EN: 134/134

Stats:
Damage: 23 (+3)
Mitigation: 78 (+25)
Accuracy: 5 (+3)
Battle Healing: 55
Loot Dice: 5
FLN: 16
HLY: 16
PARA IMMUNE
REC: 8

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Samael's Pride (T4 Hammer | Holy 2 | Fallen 2)
Armor: Fallen Angel Garb (T4 LA | Mit 2 | Rec 2)
Misc: The Shadowed Rose (T3 Trinket - ACC 3 | Para Imm)

Custom Skill:

Skills:
Hammer R5
Battle Healing R5
Light Armor R5
Searching R4
Charge
Energist
Quick Change

Active Mods:
Night Vision
Tracking
Meticulous
Untraceable

Inactive Mods:

Addons:
Ferocity
Precision
Resolve
Reveal
Stamina

Active Extra Skills:
Meditation
Forgotten King’s Authority
Hiding R2

Inactive Extra Skills:
Disguise
Brawler
Photosynthesize

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleport Crystals x7
Mass HP Rec [Inst] (+30*T HP) x7
Mass HP Rec [Inst] (+30*T HP) x7
Crystal of Divine Light (Reusable) x1
Rhino's Horn (Reusable) x1
Hmr.Pk: The Thing Behind All Lies (T4 Demonic WH, AA, Blight, Static, Para.Ven (Off)) x1

Housing Buffs:
Clean: The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down)
Working: +2 EXP per crafting attempt
Filling: Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Item Stash: +1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot
Delicious: Turn 3 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Feast. A Feast contains 6 portions of the food items sacrificed.
Relaxed: Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Skylight (Searching): +1 Rank to the Searching skill.
Angler: +1 material gained when fishing
Advanced Training: +10% Exp to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]
Multipurpose: Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll
Decor [Potted Tanabata Bamboo Tree]: This buff affects the player and their choice of up to two party members.

Guild Hall Buffs:
Lucrative: Reduce LD needed for Salvage by 5 (10+ for Alchemist crystals, 6+ for everything else). +2 EXP per craft. Rank 9 crafters receive +1 crafting attempt per day. Rank 10 crafters receive +2 crafting attempts per day.
Col Deposit: +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col from treasure chests.

Scents of the Wild:
Tanos Statue: +25 MIT for a thread

Wedding Ring:

Kat jumped at her companion's sudden appearance. She turned to see the ragged figure as he walked around and sat across from her, a smirk on his face. "On of these days Freyd." she mimed punching her fist into her empty hand, she was grinning the entire time.

"If it wasn't for Cardinal and this damn update we wouldn't have to repeat this quest for a damn skill." she fussed as she took another sip of her drink. "I appreciate you coming though, should be a breeze like last time."

Hiding a guilty face behind her mug she pretended to sip her drink again before she answered, "Sam and I have been a bit distracted. After she storm... I've felt the need to be a bit more prepared information wise about quests. Hell I've been trying to update the guild logs with any info I hear that's changed." The samurai set her mug down. "I guess after you almost die it messes with your head huh?"

She smiled but it didn't reach her eyes. The samurai rubbed her arm nervously before shaking her head, this wasn't the time to let her nerves show. Looking now at the spread of food buffs in front of her she laughed truthfully, "Wow, you sure know how to treat a girl huh?"

Katoka began to eat, trying not to let her friend see the concern in her eyes.

-------

Updated Stats:

Katoka | HP: 680/680 | EN: 102/102 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 78 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 6 | BLD: 48 | REC: 3

Katoka consumes:

Gugnir’s Shard (Untradeable/Unique/Reusable Consumable): Crème Brûlée Tray | ACC 2 | Feast (5/6) - takes 1 portion for herself
https://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/19579-freyds-evaluations/?do=findComment&comment=642553
Liquor of Light (Potion) | Damage 3 [178030-2]
Smores (Snack) | Evasion 2 [175577]

Spoiler

Katoka, The Cerulean Storm
Paragon Level: 8
HP: 680/680
EN: 102/102

Stats:
Damage: 23 (+3)
Mitigation: 78
Evasion: 1 (+2)
Accuracy: 4 (+2)
BLD: 48
REC: 3

Equipped Gear:
Weapon: Iridescent Edge (T4/Perfect/Katana) | BLD 1, DMG 2
Armor: Bushido Haori (T4/Perfect/Light Armor) | MIT 2, EVA 1
Misc: Black Zephyr’s Zeal (T3/Perfect/Trinket) | ACC 2, REC 1

Custom Skill:

Skills:
Curved Sword R1
Katana R5
Light Armor R5
Energist
Extended Mod Limit

Active Mods:
Meticulous
Vengeful Riposte

Inactive Mods:

Addons:
Ferocity
Stamina
Resolve
Precision

Active Extra Skills:
Concentration
Parry

Inactive Extra Skills:
Survival

Battle Ready Inventory:
Teleportation Crystal x5
Starter Healing Potion x3

Housing Buffs:
Col Stash: +5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests
Basic Training: +5% Exp to a thread. Limit one use per month [0/1]

Guild Hall Buffs:

Scents of the Wild:

Wedding Ring:

"What happened to you?"  Bluntly delivered, but the tone was less harsh than it might once have been.  Freyd never minced words when something was important, and it spared everyone a lot of dancing about the bush, etiquette be damned.  This was about as close as he ever got to developing tact.  "I mean, I've heard what happened everywhere, but what happened to you, specifically. There are shadows behind your eyes, Katoka.  Something is eating at you."

Snaring a few portions of the gathered repast for himself, Freyd leaned back into his chair and waited quietly while they nibbled.  She could take all the time she wanted, and something made him suspect that she'd invited him to join her in this first and foremost because she wanted to get something off her chest.  They'd been in enough rough spots together for him to spot her tells and stressors.  He might not be smooth or charismatic, but Freyd knew the value of silence and the art of listening.  He'd even been known to share a shoulder to lean on for others in need, though he hadn't quite figured out how it worked.  It always just seemed to happen.  

"What happened to you?"

Katoka flinched at that. Was she really that bad at hiding it? She must had been.

"It was... brutal Freyd. The rain wouldn't let up. It was a constant, unrelenting, disgustingly cold storm." she rubbed her arms again in an attempt to stave off a chill that wasn't there. "The black ichor that fell from the sky just kept rising and rising. We all made our way to high ground as bast we could. I ran into Elora along the way and kept her with me. I kept her safe for as long as I could."

She looked up at Freyd, her eyes filling with tears and guilt, "I did Freyd, I really tried to keep her safe." a soft sob escaped from her mouth and she took a shuddering breath, "We did our best to lead other players and NPCs in to the safety of the hills and mountains, but when they fell to whatever that shit was. They couldn't be pulled back out."

"After a point we managed to get on some horses after the creatures appeared. We fought a few of them off but, a lot of people were overwhelmed." she took another deep breath, "A bolt of lightening struck very close to the horse that Elora and I were riding. The--" she sobbed again, "the shock from it made Elora fall off and into the slime or whatever. I was nearly blind and deaf for a time before I noticed."

Kat set her drink down with a shaking hand, "By the time I got back I--I saw her hand sinking down into the earth and I couldn't get her back." the samurai sobbed, she tried to do it quietly so she didn't attract attention but it was difficult. "I pulled, and I dug, and I unleashed every sword art I could into the ground to dig her out. None of it worked." She once again looked back up into Freyd's eyes, "I couldn't save her. And it made me mad." she gritted her teeth and her eyes flashed with anger. "Anything that came my way I cut it down. I used arts that I never saw before. Before I knew it I was fighting back to back with Setsuna, we were the last two left. We gave them hell and we went down together."

She shivered again, "And it was so damn cold Freyd."

She was looking at her feet now, concerned at how much weakness she had shown him. Worried that he would be angry for not being able to save Elora, despite them all coming out alright in the end. It didn't hurt any less watching your best friend die.

Silence reigned between them as the story sunk in.  It wasn't the sort of thing even Freyd could process without a little time, mostly because of the feelings involved.  They were still being integrated into whatever matrix of heart and mind formed the man's unusual soul.  The clink of a mug brought them both back to reality, dominating over the absence of sound that had momentarily forged a chasm between them.

"So your first thought was to take on an ice monster on Aincrad's coldest floor?"

Humour diffuses tension.  He believed it, even if his tended towards dry irony and dad jokes of epic proportions.  The source of it still eluded him, but it remained a useful tool in his arsenal.  Timing it just right, a half-smile spread from his lips to his eyes, carrying an unexpected twinge of sympathy and thanks for her efforts.  There was absolutely no doubt in his mind that Katoka had done everything she possibly could for Elora, or the others.  Nor was there any surprise that Setsuna would be among the last standing.  The girl was a veritable and irrepressible force of nature.

Bracing his leg against the couch upon which she was sitting, a hearty shove sent it and its occupant sliding towards the hearth on the far wall.  Freyd was instantly up on his feet and moving the low table nearer to Katoka's new position.  She's barely recovered from the move before a giant bear-skin blanket nearly swallowed her whole and her friend plunked himself down opposite her on the couch, moving as if through the shadows.  A fresh cup of steaming coffee had somehow appeared in his far hand while the closer one offered Katoka its matching pair.

"There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you did everything possible, possibly even impossible, under the circumstances." 

He paused, letting the words sink in, as well as his gratitude.  The same ceramic clink echoed a second time, as he softly tapped their beverages together.

"I saw her fall from the boss room.  Shadow used those images to try and break our morale.  I'm... sorry, for not having been there to help you more directly."  Freyd knew that Katoka would argue it wasn't his fault, or that he and the rest of the front lines did what they had to do; what was necessary to save everyone.  The apology still felt necessary.  Maybe is was just his upbringing shining through again.

"But you survived.  You, Elora and the others.  And you're stronger for it."  Flames from the hearth reflected in Freyd's steely eyes, set with determination of unimaginable magnitude by a will that touched the essence of nothing and hadn't even flinched.  "Harness that, Katoka.  Take that strength and use it."

He took a sip of his drink.

"Now, warm up that skinny ass of yours, already.  We have a boss to go kill."

Vanity Tag: @Setsuna

Kat couldn't help but laugh.

Freyd was right in a way. Being scared of dying but going out to fight an ice monster? Probably not the best idea, but she was determined to face her fears head on. As Freyd wrapped the large fur blanket around her, she gripped it like her light depended on it. The warmth it provided along with his kindness began to settle her anxiety, allonging her tears to slowly stop and her breathing to return to normal. The blonde listened to her friend as he consoled her, his words surrounding her like an extra layer of comfort.

"That's why I came out here. To fight again. To prove to myself that I'm not weak." She looked up at him with determined eyes, "I won't let it happen again."

She kicked the blanket off and stood up, "I'm warm you ass. Let's go make snow cones."

Katoka stood in front of Freyd for a moment before she hugged him, "And thank you for saying all that."

Freyd laughed - genuinely laughed.  It was as heartwarming as it was unexpected, let alone to actually see something like joy in his eyes.  She felt him tense, at first, as she wrapped her arms around him in a patented Katoka bear hug (tm).  A pair of arms fell around her from above to return the gesture., a hand patting her comfortingly on the back.

"Elora's been making me practice," he added, by way of explanation.  "You know, the people stuff: hugs, sharing food, sleeping in general, not glaring at things until they explode.  Those sort of things."

He looked wistful for a moment.

"I really didn't know that it was all possible.  I owe her a lot, for that. And you also."  Freyd suddenly wriggled about like someone had dropped an ice cube down the back of his shirt.

"Gah!  Sappy-ness!!!" Shivering from head to toe, like a snake trying to shed its skin, he grabbed Katoka's arm and raced them both out the door.  "Come on!  Let's go kill that thing, so that I can return to my senses!"

The cold bit into Katoka like several needles and she wished the clear condition for this quest allowed for the use of the <<Survival>> skill. Trudging along in the snow she followed Freyd, hoping that the path to the monster hadn't changed too much since the last time. Pulling her scarf up over her face she quickened her pace so she could keep up with Freyd's stride and punched him lightly in the arm.

"Thanks cowl head." she smirked from behind the cloth. "So how goes the frontlines? Is it true that you guys have already found the next floor boss?"

She was curious, after all, she was at a high enough level to fight on the front lines. Though she knew that the rest of them had better gear and skills that would make them much more efficient than her. Her reluctance to get out and grind for gear had really slowed down her progress. More so than she realized.

"It feels like just yesterday that you fought the Shadow." she winced slightly at his name. She hadn't even fought the damn thing and he scared her.

"Someone found it.  I don't even know the details myself.  My attention was elsewhere.  But, yeah.  They've found the next raid boss and it's already time to go headbutt the thing into oblivion."  Freyd was clearly disinterested, but the reasons for his dismissal were buried deep.  Part of it was strightforward concern about some repetition of Shadow's shenanigans.  The scars were still too fresh, as his earlier chat with Katoka had confirmed.

"A meeting was recently held at Ariel's dojo, not far from our guild hall - nice place, by the way.  The scouting party found and defeated the labyrinth guardian, but had almost no information of worth on the floor boss proper." A scowl replaced his perpetual frown.  Only her long friendship with the man enabled her to spot the signs and significance.  "They were going to get themselves slaughtered, so I volunteered to bring Firm Anima to the front to bolster their ranks."  Freyd's eyes drifted to the distance, where a small cottage, dark and dormant lay by the edge of a frozen lake.  A handful of stone markers poked up from snow drifts along the shore, nearby.  It was like ancient history had taken a post card and slapped him across the face with it, while wearing an orange wig and complaining of fatigue.

"Come on," he added, changing the subject and steering them away from that particular valley.  "El Frosto-saurus Rex Deluxe is over this way."

"I guess we've gained quite a few members if we can strengthen the front lines now." Kat said as she changed direction with Freyd. The amount of high level players seemed to have jumped recently, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. She was more worried that the newer frontliners wouldn't realize that max level alone wasn't enough to make them strong. Shaking her head she brought herself back to the task at hand.

"So how have things been with you and Elora? Did you finally talk with her?" she asked, curious as to how her two friends relationship was progressing. Last she had heard, the two of them had been too anxious to speak about what had transpired.

As the two trudged through the snow Katoka checked her map, they were getting close to the clearing they had found their opponent originally. "Shouldn't be much farther." she reported as she checked her gear, a nervous habit she continued to exhibit before going into a fight.

Walking with his hands concealed in his pockets, Freyd mused openly about the state of the guild - something he wouldn't do with just anyone.

"Firm Anima has always had a habit of attracting people with potential."  A sideways glance and smirk looked in telling manner towards the aptly dubbed 'Cerulean Storm' striding at his side.  "Many of them have simply needed time to come into their own.  And if you're worried about your gear, I've been working on a few things to help provide you a leg up.  You and Sam just need to get along with that wedding ceremony you want me to ruin for you, so that I can provide you with your gifts."

Mere mention of his copper rose was enough to bring a surprisingly serene aura to Freyd's frame.  All of him seemed to relax, to the extent that he even indulged in a deep, full breath of floor four's frosty air to refresh himself.  

"We've spoken," he replied, looking at first as though he was about to leave it there.  "Things are good, Kat.  We just work at a slower pace than most, but it feels like we've finally managed to connect beyond our respective shells.  It doesn't seem like much, but for two people buried so deep behind layers of their own troubles to find each other..."  The man's voice trailed off, his lips pressing together into a small, pleased smile.

"It's pretty amazing."

They arrived at the deep, ice-covered canyon where Freyd had previously encountered Avalanche, knowing full-well that the mob could come at them from any direction.  It was as if the landscape would rip a chunk of itself off and toggle on its 'really angry' setting before letting it loose on players foolish enough to come looking for it.  

"So, we're here to shake the rust off you."  His hand reached towards a nearby ridge, a smug and teasing grin spreading over his features.  "Show me how it's done, if you still can still remember."

[Freyd uses Tracking]

• 1 month later...

The mention of her upcoming wedding filled Katoka's stomach with butterflies. She was nervous and excited, but it never seemed like the right moment to execute the ceremony. The mention of gear as a gift definitely perked her up, followed by a giggle at the thought of Freyd ruining the ceremony. It did warm her heart at the mention of him and Elora getting along well, she didn't care what the pace was as long as they were happy.

"You both deserve all the happiness you can get from one another, no matter the speed. I'm glad things are going well." she gave him a warm smile.

Looking out over the frozen landscape the samurai squinted at the thick snowy haze that obscured her vision. The area looked familiar, and Freyd seemed like he was in search mode. Katoka placed her left hand on the saya of her weapon as she slid down a mound of snow and into the large area ahead of them; this spot screamed boss fight area. Sure enough as she walked into the center of the icy landscape a rumble shook the ground beneath her.

"Welp, here we go."

Katoka drew her weapon as Absolute Zero stood at his full height. Launching herself forward she sprinted across the battlefield, dodging various chunks of ice and snow that fell from the hulking boss. As she approached to strike at the beast, her foot instead caught on an ice chunk sending her forward into a roll and eventually slide between the monsters legs and into a pile of snow. With her face and half of her body in the frozen pile and her rear comically in the air she let out a sigh.

"Off to a great start already..."

--------

[x12] ST-I (12 EN)

ID: 202981 | BD: 1 (Critical Miss!) vs. Absolute Zero

Players:

Katoka | HP: 680/680 | EN: 100/102 (-2) | DMG: 26 | MIT: 78 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 6 | BLD: 48 | REC: 3
Freyd | HP: 1000/1000 | EN: 134/134 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 103 | ACC: 7 | EVA: 3 | BH: 55 | LD: 5 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | Antidote [2/2]

Enemy:

[1,0] Absolute Zero | HP: 1000/1000 | DMG: 200 | MIT: 200 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -2 | Freeze (8-10)

(+50 DMG on natural 9, +100 DMG on natural 10)
This boss uses its own BD roll when attacking.

Abilities:

Grand Slam | On a natural CD of 12, this boss will raise its arm and crash it against the ice of the lake, sending a ripple through toward all of the players, dealing 200 mitigatable damage and Freezing everyone in place. This attack automatically hits.
Zero-Degree Weather | This boss changes the weather of the area into a blisteringly cold blizzard, lowering the EVA of all Players by -2. This effect can be ignored with the <<Survival>> skill.
Frozen Hide | If this boss is faced without Survival, the Player(s) will find it biting cold to the touch. It will gain 50 mitigation against attacks made by players without <<Survival>>, and deal 50 Frost Thorns damage on successful attacks - regardless of critical status.

Edited by Katoka

Racing up behind his companion, Katoka felt a further spray of snow as Freyd planted his staff in packed snow at her side, using it to vault himself high into the air an on a solid trajectory for the ice golem's face.  Its icy features cracked as it furrowed its brow, the snapping sounds echoing off the frozen cliff walls and reverberating back towards them, threatening to cause a real version of the monster's namesake.  Giant clawed hands reached up and smashed together with a resounding clatter, catching the darkly clad figure between them, seeking to squish him like some sort of bug.  It even looked to have worked, with the Whisper's momentum stalled and a spurt of black goo shooting forth in his halted line of travel - probably not a good thing.  

From below, Katoka had a better vantage.  Freyd had blocked the incoming clap by bracing his staff horizontally and somehow pulling of a painful-looking set of splits to splay his legs apart for further support.  The squirt suddenly made sense, realization dawning on the mob in real time as the inky black ball unfurled into a world of hurt that latched onto the massive monster's face.  Persi personified a whirling storm of teeth and claws that promptly rendered whatever she touched into a shower of glittering fractured mote, striking with such tiny fury that she somehow toppled the titan onto its backside and sent all of its limbs flailing in an effort to shake her free.

Another puff of snow washed like a wave over the Cerulean speed-bump's proudly upright backside as Freyd landed by her side, freed from his awkward position by his familiar's timely efforts.

"No worries.  Persi just granted you a mulligan."  A gloved hand grabbed the back of her clothes and yanked her roughly back to her feet.  Blue eyes shone brightly over a her friend's subtly  smirking face.  "Try it again.  The rust layer must have been thicker than we both expected."

Spoiler

Post Action | AoE-I (x15 AoE, 11 EN, +2 AoE Shift, +2/hit,): 15 EN - (Rested 1/2; Stamina) = 12 EN. 
Free Action | Activate Grappling Familiar (CD 0/5)

ID #203008 | BD: 5+7+2=14 (hit).  DMG (15*26=390-200=190)  CD 6 (no unlock).  Avalanche STUNNED.

Avalanche loses action.  Stun fades.

Players:

Katoka | HP: 680/680 | EN: 100/102 (-2) | DMG: 26 | MIT: 78 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 6 | BLD: 48 | REC: 3
Freyd | HP: 1000/1000 | EN: 122/134 (134-12) | DMG: 26 | MIT: 103 | ACC: 7 | EVA: 3 | BH: 55 | LD: 5 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | Antidote [2/2]

Enemy:

[1,1] Absolute Zero | HP: 810/1000 | DMG: 200 | MIT: 200 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -2 | Freeze (8-10) | Grapp Imm (1/3) (1000-190)

Abilities:

Grand Slam | On a natural CD of 12, this boss will raise its arm and crash it against the ice of the lake, sending a ripple through toward all of the players, dealing 200 mitigatable damage and Freezing everyone in place. This attack automatically hits.
Zero-Degree Weather | This boss changes the weather of the area into a blisteringly cold blizzard, lowering the EVA of all Players by -2. This effect can be ignored with the <<Survival>> skill.
Frozen Hide | If this boss is faced without Survival, the Player(s) will find it biting cold to the touch. It will gain 50 mitigation against attacks made by players without <<Survival>>, and deal 50 Frost Thorns damage on successful attacks - regardless of critical status.

• 2 weeks later...

Her face flush with embarrassment as Freyd pulled her from the snow, Katoka's eyes sparked with the flickering of anger. She brushed the snow from her face and hair, then flicked her sword to the side to remove any snow from it's edge. Taking a deep breath she assumed a more controlled stance and smirked, "Let's try this again then."

The muscles in her legs tightened and she sprung forward as if tugged by an invisible force. Her katana glowed with the charge of her sword art, a pale almost white blue light that streaked across the battlefield. A metallic ring sounded out as steel struck compacted ice, followed by the cracking and rumble of the beast's leg as a red line of a wireframe wound appeared on it's leg. Katoka now stood in front of the monster, turning to face it head on. Though her attack hadn't hit as hard as she would have liked, she felt a bit of her confidence begin to well up after that successful hit.

"You're up Freyd!" she called out, not realizing that she was still standing directly in front of their target.

Spoiler

Post Action | [x12] ST-I (12 EN) : 12 EN - (Rested 1/2; Stamina) = 9 EN
Free Action

ID #203034 | BD: 3+6= 9 HIT  DMG (12*26=312-200=112)

Players:

Katoka | HP: 680/680 | EN: 92/102 (+1 , -9) | DMG: 26 | MIT: 78 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 6 | BLD: 48 | REC: 3
Freyd | HP: 1000/1000 | EN: 122/134 (134-12) | DMG: 26 | MIT: 103 | ACC: 7 | EVA: 3 | BH: 55 | LD: 5 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | Antidote [2/2]

Enemy:

[1,1] Absolute Zero | HP: 698/1000 | DMG: 200 | MIT: 200 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -2 | Freeze (8-10) | Grapp Imm (1/3) (810-112)

Abilities:

Grand Slam | On a natural CD of 12, this boss will raise its arm and crash it against the ice of the lake, sending a ripple through toward all of the players, dealing 200 mitigatable damage and Freezing everyone in place. This attack automatically hits.
Zero-Degree Weather | This boss changes the weather of the area into a blisteringly cold blizzard, lowering the EVA of all Players by -2. This effect can be ignored with the <<Survival>> skill.
Frozen Hide | If this boss is faced without Survival, the Player(s) will find it biting cold to the touch. It will gain 50 mitigation against attacks made by players without <<Survival>>, and deal 50 Frost Thorns damage on successful attacks - regardless of critical status.

Edited by Katoka

A beam of something crackled through the air directly over Katoka's snow-filled hair, striking the ice behemoth directly in the chest.  A crisp scent of ozone filled the air.  It hurt to gaze upon the darkness, as if witnessing its presence, or absence, was abhorrent to a living soul.  Avalanche lurched, then stumbled back with a heavy footfall, trying to brace itself against the impact of the nothing that had pierced its heart.  Freyd stood upon its chest, having appeared out of nowhere, gazing hard into the empty, shadowed sockets that doubled as its eyes.  In his hands, the dark shaft of Samael's Pride stuck out from the monster's shattered torso.  A hundred fractures radiated from the point where the staff's tip had struck.  They stood frozen, for but an instant, until the Whisper raised a hand and flicked the terrible beast upon the nose.  The tiniest 'clink' was heard in every corner of the valley, otherwise drowned in silence.

Avalanche opened its mouth to speak, but never got the chance.  The hinges fell off as its jaw disintegrated along with all its other parts.  Cascading into the pristine snowfield before the Cerulean Storm, the mob lived up to its name in death spreading out in a vast, powdery wave the engulfed everything within a hundred feet in every direction.  Freyd rode the thing's icy nose down like a boogey board, sliding to a stop at his companion's side and reaching out a hand to help her from the tidal wave of frozen pixels, most taking their own sweet time to disappear.

"I think we got him," he said, with an uncharacteristically goofy laugh.  "Good thing you softened him up like that."  A wink and yank were enough to haul her back up to the  pseudo-arctic surface.  "It may take a bit of effort to clear a path back to Snowfrost.  But, when we do, the hot chocolates are on you.  Persi insists."  He jerked his thumb over his shoulder without looking, somehow sensing the pair of azure orbs before they even blinked back into existence atop a nearby drift, staring at them with prideful curiosity.  After all, it had been her victory more than anyone else's.

Spoiler

Freyd regains +4 EN
CD 3 (No REC proc) ID #203036
ST-B currently locked

Post Action | AoE-II (x18 AoE, 14 EN, +2 AoE Shift, +2/hit,): 18 EN - (Rested 2/2; Stamina) = 15 EN.  Charge (CD 0/3, 8 EN)
Free Action | Activate Crystal of Divine Light

ID #203036 | BD: 8+7+2-1=16 (hit, Charge +5, Fallen +24).  DMG (18*55=990-200=790)

Players:

Katoka | HP: 680/680 | EN: 92/102 | DMG: 26 | MIT: 78 | EVA: 3 | ACC: 6 | BLD: 48 | REC: 3
Freyd | HP: 1000/1000 | EN: 103/134 (122+4-15-8)) | DMG: 26 | MIT: 103 | ACC: 7 | EVA: 3 | BH: 55 | LD: 5 | FLN: 16 | HLY: 16 | PARA IMMUNE | REC: 8 | Antidote [2/2]

Enemy:

[1,2] Absolute Zero | HP: 0/1000 | DMG: 200 | MIT: 200 | ACC: 3 | EVA: -2 | Freeze (8-10) | Grapp Imm (2/3) (698-790)

Abilities:

Grand Slam | On a natural CD of 12, this boss will raise its arm and crash it against the ice of the lake, sending a ripple through toward all of the players, dealing 200 mitigatable damage and Freezing everyone in place. This attack automatically hits.
Zero-Degree Weather | This boss changes the weather of the area into a blisteringly cold blizzard, lowering the EVA of all Players by -2. This effect can be ignored with the <<Survival>> skill.
Frozen Hide | If this boss is faced without Survival, the Player(s) will find it biting cold to the touch. It will gain 50 mitigation against attacks made by players without <<Survival>>, and deal 50 Frost Thorns damage on successful attacks - regardless of critical status.

The samurai let her shoulders droop and her mouth hang open as her quest partner obliterated the Avalanche in front of her. She knew he was stronger than her, but the difference in their strength never ceased to amaze her. Returning her katana to her saya she watched as Freyd rode a piece of the monster down the waves of snow rushing towards her. Taking his outstretched hand she climbed aboard the nose board as the two rode the wave to a stop.

"Well now, I suppose we can dig our way back to the edge. Or..." she smirked as she crouched down and used the reality defying physics of the system to sprint faster than a normal human could ever do. Using her speed and some sort of game system surface tension, the Cerulean Storm ran across the snow until she was standing atop of the cliff overlooking the boss area.

"Come on cowl boy, it's cold and I want to watch Persi drink hot cocoa!" she called, rubbing her arms to attempt to warm them up against the biting wind.

Katoka's enduring spirit had always been her most admirable trait.  He always knew she'd be faster than him in a ground race.  The woman's raw speed was akin to a flash of lightning when she set her mind to it, and refreshment seemed to be high on her list of motivators.

"Okay, okay.  I'm coming!"

Turning his gaze up towards the dull winter sun, Freyd went limp and allowed himself to fall softly into the snow field on his opposite side.  But, instead of making snow angels, he simply fell through when he landed on his own shadow, swallowed into nothing. 

A hand tussled Katoka's hair an instant later as her companion reappeared beside her, seeming the have stepped out of nowhere.  There were no trees, no cover or obstacles behind which he might have hidden.  That smug little grin was back as he opened a gloved hand and sent a handful of frigid snow streaming down the inside of the back of her clothed.  

"See you back where we started!"  A crack of crystal and familiar flash followed, and the man was gone.  If he was smart, he'd already be finding himself a place to hide.  So, probably not.

• 3 weeks later...

Katoka blushed and puffed her cheeks up in a pout. "THAT'S RIGHT YOU BETTER RUN!" She called after him as she turned around and began to sprint in the direction of town. She knew that there was no way she'd find him with his ridiculous shadow jumping thing he did, but she could at least try and make it back to civilization before him to get the drop. Feeling the crackle of energy spread through her body, she tapped into what little she could of the rolling storm inside her. Her muscles contracted and expanded more quickly than they normally could, the electricity coursing through her causing her to move faster and faster. To the untrained eye there would have just been a flash of blue white light and a shockwave of sound as the Cerulean Storm winked out of existence.

A walk that normally took anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes was completed in a matter of seconds, about 45 to be exact. Another flash of light and the clap of thunder revealed the small panting figure of Katoka, a grin spread across her face as she sucked in air rapidly. She whirled around to look for her companion as players and NPCs alike all looked at her in shock, it wasn't everyday that a small blonde woman appears in town after lighting seemingly strikes.

"Where you at shadow boy?!" she called, sure that Freyd was nearby. If she had beaten him it wouldn't have been by much.

• 2 weeks later...

*Cough*

From the darkness, nestled between two tightly crammed buildings on the outskirts of Snowfrost, stepped the man whom she'd just called out.

"Not bad, Katoka.  Not bad at all.  If you can pull that off, then it might finally be time."

He chuckled as she scrunched up her face, suspicious of whatever prank he might be ready to pull next.

"It's nothing like that, I assure you.  Think of it more like a graduation gift, in recognition of your past and future accomplishments.  If you're ready to fight on the front lines - and I think you finally are - then you'll need something suitably sharp to place between you and the actual bad guys."

Reaching into the void from which he'd just stepped, Freyd pulled back a special blade.  Though wrapped in white silks, the shape and size clearly marked it as a katana.  Balancing it flatly upon both palms, Freyd stood oddly upright and formally before bowing to extend an offering to his friend.  The two of them often joked and jibed with one another, prodding and teasing for casual laughs that often made him feel a special bond, like those he hoped he might have had with a younger sibling that had never been.  But, this was not a moment for frivolous indulgences.  Here, now, Freyd truly wanted to show her how much he respected her and all of her accomplishments.  

"With my sincerest thanks and heartfelt congratulations, Katoka.  I hope that it will serve you well."

Freyd gives Katoka:

Raijin's Corruption +4 (T4 Demonic Weapon (Katana) - Abs.Acc, Blight, Para.Ven (off), Static)
Fusion ID: 203933
A blade forged from metal that was struck by lightning and then coated in the fermented and rotting blood of the god of thunder himself. This katana emits static of plasma energy when wielded by one that is worthy. Foes that are unlucky enough have been cut by it's edge are paralyzed by the infectious disease caused by the tainted blade. The saya that contains the putrid weapon is a specially treated bamboo, dipped into water blessed by monks to make sure its power is contained within. The saya is wrapped and painted a dark purple, nearly black to the naked eye. The tsuka is wrapped in a similarly dark purple cloth, a blackened metal tsuba separates the blade from the handle.