[F1 - PP] We Never Meet Like This

k o g a the elder wolf
Spoiler

notes:

• none

Koga | HP: 700/700 | EN: 108/108 | DMG: 23 | MIT: 30 | ACC: 4 | EVA: 2 | BRN: 56 | BLT: 32/20 | FALN: 8 | REGN 13 | B.HEALING: 38/77 (SURV)

equippped battle-ready inventory
  • None

skills

Spoiler

| COMBAT

• Mastery: Damage III | Gain 1 * Tier Damage per rank | 15 SP
  • Battle Healing V | Recover 5% (rounded down) of your maximum HP at the start of your turn | 30 SP
    • Emergency Recovery | When non-fatal damage would leave you with 25% or less of your maximum HP, recover 10% of your maximum HP after the attack resolves. Effect cannot occur more than once per thread.  When activated if the player has lower than 10 energy remaining, simply reduce the player's energy to 0. | 6 SP
      • EN Cost: 10
  • Energist | Increase Base Energy by 5 * Tier | 8 SP
  • Howl | Gain +2 Hate against up to 4 targets | 10 SP
    • EN Cost: 2 EN
    • Cooldown: 2 Posts
    • Focused Howl | Gain +4 Hate against a single target | 5 SP
      • EN Cost: 4 EN
      • Cooldown: 4 Posts

| WEAPON

• Curved Sword I | +1 DMG when equipped with a Curved Sword | 4 SP
  • Katana V | +7 DMG when equipped with a Katana | 30 SP
    • Stamina | Reduces the energy of all Katana attacks by 2 EN | 4 SP
    • Ferocity | +2 DMG when using Katana Sword Arts | 4 SP

| ARMOR

• Light Armor V | +30 MIT when equipped with Light Armor | 30 SP
    • Meticulous | +1 DMG when equipped with Light Armor | 4 SP
    • Resolve | +1 ACC and +10 * Tier HP when equipped with Light Armor | 6 SP

| EXTRAS

• Familiar Master: Rending | You and your familiar attack in tandem, applying Rend [7*tier unmitigatable damage] to the target that lasts for two turns. | 10SP
    • Cooldown: 5 Posts
  • Survival | Increases Healing effects received from all sources by 10%. Grants immunity to all damage dealing environmental attacks/effects.

buffs

Spoiler
  • Laurel Wreath | Earn Col equivalent to 15% of player’s EXP earned in thread
  • <<Well Rested>> | -1 energy cost for the first three expenditures of each combat.
  • <<Squeaky Clean>> | The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 25% (rounded down).
  • <<Relaxed>> | Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
  • <<Multipurpose>> | Gain +1 to LD, Stealth Rating, Stealth Detection, or Prosperity to one post in a thread. Can be applied after a roll.

koga_stats_100x100.jpg.7656944d79f1e71fc8197a93222ff3cb.jpg

With the day's (not so) hard work done, it was time to head home again. As always, Koga left his shop, ran back in because he forgot the keys, left again, locked up, and went on his way. Today, however, he didn't head straight to the teleporter as he typically did. Nope, today he was in need of groceries. While not necessary for the lives of those living within Aincrad, it was a welcome comfort, especially for those who knew how to cook. Doubly fortunate was the fact that Yukiro was off doing...whatever the hell it was that Yukiro did when he wasn't in Koga's home eating all their food. Which ultimately meant, he wouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for single meal tonight. Still, he had no idea what to make today, and, to be completely honest, he was feeling worn down, not quite energized enough to make anything that extravagant. "Maybe musubi?" Koga muttered to himself as he walked towards the market. "Could make extra rice and save it for fried rice or something..."

Edited by Koga

Stone bowls? Check.
Premium short-grain rice? Check.
Unagi? Check.
Salmon Roe? Check.

The base ingredients were covered. So why was the last part -- choosing the complimentary vegetables -- the hardest out of the entire routine?

It was with a low and long sigh that NIGHT found herself toying with her locks again, fingers running down a single, isolated strand out of her combed, straight hair. And half of the time, between staring at the stock provided by the stalls at the player markets, she would glance over to her android companion, as though the artificial intelligence had the likeness to provide an opinion that would satisfy her current conundrum.

As if!

(Though, that was to no fault on DAY's part.)

Fingers tapped on the player's elbow, and stray other digits were nearly working their way around the woman's arm. If it would stiffen the knight, soothe her into some stillness, perhaps that space of mind would be better for the player. They both knew the dish wouldn't be complete without her mirror's aid.

In truth, that was the entire rationale behind NIGHT's fidgeting, and she glared her counterpart's way the moment she sensed them close. And, with a smile, feigning ignorance, so too would the woman retreat her outreach.

The duo stood, mulling over their options -- an unfortunately common and sorry sight in an otherwise normal day in the streets of the Town of Beginnings.

b3ue0Fx.png | NIGHT
 | Lv. 98 >> P. 67, Lv. 31
 | Status: carrots, cabbage, and then what?

Notes:
 //

Spoiler

NIGHT | HP: 880/880 | EN: 126/126 | DMG: 21 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 44 | LM: 2 | HLY: 8 | PHASE | LD: 6 | BH: 38 | Stealth Rating: 6

equipped

• Orgoth's Legacy
    ACC, PHASE, HOLY (8)
  • Tracksuit of Unfathomable Fashionability
    MIT (24), LM II
  • Silver Crescent Necklace
    ACC II, EVA II

battle-ready inventory

• //

skills

Spoiler

mod count: 4/5

• 2HSS | RANK 5/5
    • focus, stamina, precision
    • shift: aoe
  • CLOTH ARMOR | RANK 5/5
    • athletics, nimble
  • COMBAT MASTERY: DMG | RANK 3/3
  • SEARCHING | RANK 4+1/5
  • BATTLE HEALING | RANK 3/5
  • EXTENDED MOD LIMIT
  • ENERGIST
  • FAMILIAR: PROFESSION
  • QUICK CHANGE

extra

1. SURVIVAL
  2. CONCENTRATION
  3. HIDING
    • blindside, vanish, surprise attack-t

buffs

Spoiler

statue

• OROCHI | +1 LD

consumables

1. - - -
  2. - - -

paragon

• Lv. 5 | Gain additional col equivalent to 15% of EXP earned in that thread.
  • Lv. 10 | +1 LD to looting.

sword arts

Spoiler

en cost matches multiplier unless stated otherwise. shift underlined.

• ST | x12 -> x15 | x20
  • AOE | x15 -> x18
  • TECH-A | x12 | STUN | 13EN
  • TECH-B | x12 | DELAY
  • TECH-D | x12 | SHATTER
  • TECH-G | x12 | BURN

misc.

Spoiler

housing

• Dimensional Backpack, Item Stash
    | +2 Battle-Ready Inventory Slots.
  • Well Rested
    | -1 EN for the first three expenditures of each combat. 
  • Relaxed
    | +(5 * Tier) HP per out-of-combat post. Full energy restoration occurs after two turns out of combat.
  • Squeaky Clean
    | -25% DoT damage taken from the first DoT applied to this player in a thread.
  • Skylight: Searching
    | +1 Expertise to declared utility skill. Cooldown of 30 days to reassign.
  • Multipurpose
    | +1 LD/Prosperity/Stealth/Detection to one post per thread. Can be applied after a roll.
  • Filling
    | +1 T1 slot to a food consumed by this player in a thread. Can exceed Cook enhancement caps.
  • Col Deposit
    | +5% col from loot-minimum mobs, +10% col from treasure chests.

gathering

• Greenhouse
    | +2 G.EXP, +1 CD&LD to gathering attempts.
  • Familiar: Profession
    | +2 G.EXP
  • Demeter's Cornucopia
    | +1 CD to gathering attempts. 

The market was had a healthy amount of people in it today. Busy, but not quite too busy. People milled back and forth between stalls, with enough room to not bump into each other, but still occupy the vendors, and ensure they would be putting break upon their tables tonight. Even still, Koga made an effort to not draw much attention to himself, not entirely interested in making new acquaintances tonight.

What the man really needed was oyster sauce, a surprisingly difficult thing to find for whatever reason. Koga had yet to find someone who consistently sold the product, so he wandered up and down the endless, ordered columns and rows until his eyes found someone he had not expected to see.

"DAY?" Koga said, recognizing the blonde haired AI. It wasn't until after Koga had approached the construct that he noticed her dark haired counterpart beside her. "Oh, NIGHT. What's up, you guys?" he greeted them both with a small wave as Okami padded up to them and sat down, looking up at DAY with big hopeful eyes.

Mind you, it wasn't attention to her accompanying individual that drew NIGHT's attention away from the display cases. Rather, the voice it belonged to alerted her of some familiar presence, and the twitch of horror once her eyes settled upon Koga's figure only exacerbated her renewed focus on the present. Sorry -- did one of her closest companions, in all that was holy -- fail to recognize her, the actual friend, person, player before her companion was picked from the crowd? How'd that even happen?

And said player had failed to erase the distinguished look of disgust from her face in time, when Koga approached. A glare from squinted indigos, cheek propped up by a hand supported by a folded arm. NIGHT, for the time being, could only have regarded the man in silence drawn out by dissatisfaction.

The taller entity of the duo shot the man a better greeting -- a beam and a wave -- after confusion had melted from her expression. "Oh, hello! Ah-- it was Koga, right?" That sight of his dog was no smaller welcome, either, for DAY lowered herself in quieter chirps of "Hello!"s as she kneeled to fluff the canine.

What rays of joy from the machinations finally bled through to the player's icy persona, when NIGHT finally sighed, glancing in her Gemini's direction, and rolled her eyes. "We're preparing for dinner," she elaborated to her friend, head tossed towards the stall. Had the owner of the shop not been an NPC, perhaps the quartet would've been regarded in confusion or awkwardness. "Though I can't decide what vegetables to get. Are you faring any better?"

The singular glance from NIGHT had Koga stopped in his tracks, ready to turn and run like he was facing an angry, carnivorous predator looking at their next meal. And not in the sexy way. In the murder-y way. It didn't seem that DAY noticed, however, as she happily greeted the player and his familiar, kneeling down and petting the canine affectionately. Koga and NIGHT, for their part, held a deadly staring contest for what felt like ages until NIGHT apparently decided to forgive whatever slight Koga had inflicted against her.

"Me neither," Koga replied cautiously as he took careful steps into the lion's den. "I was thinking musubi, but I dunno anymore. No one has oyster sauce. I could make a substitute for the glaze, but it wouldn't be the same...what do you have so far on the menu, anyways?" Koga asked. Not that he'd be able to give good advice on what to pair with what, he usually just ate whatever he was in the mood in...but still, it's polite to ask!

"Just a rice bowl with Unagi," NIGHT elaborated, idle, watching the fur on Okami's cheeks get ruffled. "Nothing much. Wait... musubi?"

If she recalled correctly, that was simply just spam on some rice, right? That was all Koga was having for dinner? Her stern image seized up to one of concern, before the woman shook her head, looking to the store owner with her mind finally made up. "Give me the carrots, cabbages, radish and beetroot. Please." Her look back to Koga was more telling, once her transaction through menus had been completed. "Overruled. You're not having musubi for dinner, because frankly, that sounds terrible to eat all at once."

It was almost as though NIGHT was reading the construct's mind, as two long fingers from said entity by her feet were massaging the wolf's ears in earnest.

"Where's the variety? Have you been feeding Okami just spam for dinners, too? Oyster sauce isn't something that's super ready on the markets because it's a compound ingredient derived from player recipes. Koga--"

The player was all the definition of distress at the moment, looking over at Okami's doeful eyes, only barely able to neglect her doppel's in turn. "How exactly have you been eating this whole time...?"

DAY's addition to the conversation was all but a knowing, sly grin and a quiet hum.

With one rise, the entity held the giant wolf over her shoulder -- an incredulous sight to behold. With another turn of her head, NIGHT looked to her friend, determination in her eyes.

"We're cooking over at your place tonight. C'mon DAY, let's go."

"Okay~"

"H-hey, musubi is great, okay!" Koga watched helplessly as NIGHT was handed a myriad of these things he'd heard of only in myth and legend....vegetables..."Okami eats better than I do! I get him fucking steaks and racks of ribs! The mutt eats better than I do!" Okami snickered in affirmation of the statement.

"How exactly have you been eating this whole time...?"

"Uhm...I kinda just...don't?" Koga said with an awkward smile. "It's not like we have to eat in here, and I just eat whenever I want something tasty! Besides, you know Yukiro eats me out of house and home on a daily basis!" What else did she expect from him?

And suddenly they were all on the way to Koga's house. How...how had things turned out this way? "I thought you said you were just about to eat a rice bowl with Unagi...how is that any different than musubi except the kind of meat?"

She'd near balked at the thought of passing out yet again in Aincrad. No -- long gone were the days of having not-enough and rationing out her col. NIGHT hadn't figured her friend had fallen on hard times, either, but her surprise did stem from that similar concern. "He's not pulling his weight on money...?"

The squint of her eyes and a little 'tch' were enough to have her follower companion cock her head to the side.

NIGHT paused for a moment, teeth on the nail of her thumb, before starting down the path to the teleporter.

"I'll just have to beat some sense into him, then. If I see him."

Though NIGHT took the lead, it was DAY who shuffled alongside Koga, arms full and face half-buried into the thick of the carried canine's fur. Soft and fluffy -- though the woman only took a leave of man's best friend once his owner queried about their choices for dinner. "Unless you were planning on eating it with a side of vegetables," she commented, before also humming to think. "That, and we prep our food from scratch. Y'know. Unlike someone who's going around looking for prepped oyster sauce and is probably using second-handmade meat for his spam."

Had Koga been looking in the construct's direction, she would've shot him a gleaming, innocent grin.

Koga wasn't sure at this point if he should be afraid for his life, or for Yuki's although he figured both was probably a good assumption. So as the trio walked, Okami happily being carried by the bubbly blonde, Koga felt his knees quiver with each step. Even as DAY explained why their cooking was superior, Koga scowled. "I thought you were supposed to be on my side here, DAY," he said, "I'm a decent cook, but I can't make some of that stuff on my own, I don't see any problem with buying it!" Besides was that any different than real life? You went to the store, bought components and then put them together at home!

Knowing that whatever he said though would have no affect on the outcome of this day, Koga reluctantly stepping into the teleporter alongside his kidnappers. "Floor Eleven, Taft," he glumly said, and in a flash of light, they were gone.

"No way. 'Can't make some of them on my own' my ass." Even with her lack of knowledge in cooking, NIGHT could still remember her feelings that stemmed from watching cooking videos in ages long past.  "Rare ingredients in real life being so out of reach, I'd get. Home-made assemblies can only also stay preserved for so long. But cooking in Aincrad only takes several buttons. Less effort, no expiration dates..."

She'd tutted, strolling over towards Koga's front yard, the outline of his house coming into plain view. "Had you seen Lonzo's performance, before? Simple dishes made in seconds, if not minutes. And everything else in-between was spectacle. By his choice, mind you, never ours."

With Koga's permission, she'd twisted the handle on the front door and let herself inside. DAY gently lowered the oversized puppy to the floor once she too had entered the household, leaving to the home's owner to shut the door behind himself. The two women then made their way into the kitchen, NIGHT leading, as though she knew the place well (she did not).

A couple of taps on the player's interface, and the bounty of ingredients from the marketplace were strung up, one by one, along the countertops. "Of course," NIGHT continued, folding up her sleeves at her entity's behest at a running tap, "Quick and easy production in this game doesn't always produce the finest results. And almost everyone of us has the time, now, stuck here to spend as we please."

Hands wet, the player dried them at the nearest rag. 

"Therefore cooking itself here is an experience. Nay, a privilege." The woman looked to Koga from over her shoulder, as her secondary began to rinse the chosen vegetables in the sink. "Because not every day you may find the ingredients, let alone the finest of them all, to craft a delicious meal of your own making. Isn't that right? The capability of creating food that firmly fits your desires at the moment, without fear nor hesitation nor the lack of resources to impede your process. Yes."

NIGHT folded her arms. Behind her, the construct bored similar holes in Koga's image, though her essence was different. Amusement, annoyance, and a hint of...

"To put it simply..."

DAY was much quieter in her absent-minded murmuring.

"It's the ultimate convenience!"
"... she hasn't cooked before..."

And it was only then, in light of her one-track mind for her speech, did NIGHT realize she hadn't been pulling her own weight in the kitchen.

"Eh? Ah, right!"

So she scrambled to DAY's side. If, for some reason, Koga was still watching the two-man circus antics, he might've caught a smile from the entity, a laugh almost breaking through her visage.

It was only when NIGHT glanced at her companion did it melt away into a cool, sly grin.

"... By the way, did you say something earlier?"

"Oh, it was nothing important, I assure you. Didn't mean to break up your amazing speech was all."

The mention of their old friend actually made Koga pause for a moment as he closed the gate to his property behind him. He hadn't heard that name in...well, long enough that he couldn't rightly remember the last time he'd heard it. "I can't say I ever got the pleasure," Koga replied as the walked up to his front door. "I'm sure you and the other ladies got to on more than one occasion though, right? Lonzo was always quite the flirt," the man said with a light-hearted chuckle.

Koga closed the door behind them as NIGHT continued on with her ramblings, having completely ignored Koga's question. The swordsman couldn't remember the last time his companion had ever been this...energized about something. Well, actually he could, but being chased by giant insects could energize anybody.

As the two women entered his modest kitchen, Koga took off his coat, the item disappearing into thin air as he leaned his elbows on the countertop, and he continued to listen with half-hearted interest. Lecturing had become a rather typical part of their relationship, typically NIGHT to Koga, but this was a bit much. It was more like watching an oblivious salesperson than just some friend doing what they usually did.

"Pfft."

Yes, Koga did indeed catch what DAY had said. "So, uh DAY," Koga said, electing to ignore NIGHT for a moment, now that she had the last two minutes and eight seconds of fame all to herself. "Who is she and where is the real NIGHT?"

"Hmm?" Gone was all the smugness from the entity's face, as she stopped work to turn to Koga. "If this wasn't the real NIGHT, I wouldn't be standing right here, now would I?"

"Hey...!"

From the side, the player gave her the evil eye and a grunt. "Don't talk as though we're attached to the hip."

"Oh? Are we not?"

Another growl. "You're embarassing."

As usual, tasks between the two were divided. On contrary to what the woman had mentioned before, each action appeared to be methodical, traditional; DAY was working the ingredients with proficient knife skills, whilst NIGHT prepared the tools, sauces and side-dishes.

A few eggs cracked open and stirred in a glass bowl, before poured into a frying pan, under the player's vigilance. "About Lonzo," she began, mixing with a rubber spatula, "he was, though I don't think he has with me. That begin said, I don't think I've heard from him with anyone else, if I recall correctly."

The woman took a breath, trying to trace back her memories; why couldn't she remember too well? NIGHT could chalk it up to her attention fixed on other things in her life, like discovering her cat familiar and even homing the trouble-maker by her side. Her eyes drifted over to the blonde, wondering if she had missed out on anything besides thus.

Even after a moment, DAY remained silent under NIGHT's gaze, and the player looked back to the eggs. "He decided to retire and own a bar, last I heard. Not sure if I'd mentioned that before. Somewhere around Horunka Village on the first?" She hummed, before plating the eggs evenly across several bowls of rice. "Either way, that just makes us the last of the real ones, huh...?"

Koga pingponged the plausibility of DAY existing in his home, at this moment, without NIGHT. To be fair, he didn't actually know all that much about the construct or the construct's construction. But, he also could say with certainty he hadn't ever seen DAY without NIGHT. So, he came to an inevitable conclusion. "Alright, fair, I guess this a real enough NIGHT for me."

Watching as the two divided their tasks again, much in the same manner as they had the Christmas before, Koga was more than content allowing them to take over, even as NIGHT began to reminisce about their old friends. 'A bar near Horunka Village?' Koga thought to himself. 'Yeah...that was fitting for Lonzo...it'd be nice to settle down like that one day, maybe.'

"Yeah, I guess that does," Koga nodded solemnly as the sizzling eggs slid into the bowls, the comforting scents wafting into the air. "But hey, we should be happy for them all, right?" Koga said with a half-hearted smile. "They've found their happiness, even in here...and for those not with us anymore..." Koga stood for a moment and pulled out three glasses and bottle from a cabinet, setting them down onto the counter. "One for them....also I feel like I shouldn't need to state the obvious, but just in case, no, this is not gonna get us drunk, and its actually apple juice, 'cause I hate the taste of whiskey."

The player nodded to Koga's declaration. Would it be that they could be satisfied living in their prison paradise, too. However, she knew the conditions she'd left behind when she'd picked up the sword. NIGHT wasn't liken to return to it, and could only wish her friends well since the last she'd seen them.

"Hear hear."

"Oh, pour me a glass too!"

"...Then again," NIGHT wondered aloud, looking over to the bottle in Koga's hands, "why're you keeping your apple juice in a cabinet? We usually keep it in the fridge..."

Progress on the meal was going smoothly, once the vegetables were being stirred on the pan with unagi sauce. To the player's side was DAY with a portable grill -- a summon that made her companion raise an eyebrow, yet no comment was shared about having such a handy tool in stock. Packets of miso, obtained from her home, weaseled their way into smaller bowls of ceramic once the entity rushed to and fro NIGHT's place with unprecedented speed.

So much effort for a single meal at someone else's place...

"Here you go!" Upon a tray DAY set down in front of Koga was a bowl of unagi, comforted by egg and topped with flakes of seaweed. A spread of their selected vegetables surrounded it, chopped thin in long strands. The accompanying soup and chopsticks were set to the side of his display.

And behind him, NIGHT had offered Okami a palatable bowl of what dishes from today's make that canines could eat.

Koga began pouring out some of the apple juice into cups, one for each other them, and a fourth for those departed. However, NIGHT's singular question gave the man pause, enough so that he stopped pouring the look up at her, brow cocked and mouth drawn in a thin line of disappointment. "...We can summon weapons out of thin air and fight monsters the size of buildings on the daily, and you're questioning why I'm not putting non-perishable, virtual juice, into a virtual refrigerator, that doesn't actually refrigerate anything?" Such are the paradoxes of video games.

The man finished pouring out the juice and passed a glass to all present, just as the food was being finished. "Thanks guys," he said with a nod and a smile, before looking over at Okami, who had already began to unceremoniously dig into his meal with gusto. The first bite, and Koga couldn't help but close his eyes in pleasure. he had forgotten how good the two contrast's cooking was. "God, can I just hire you guys as personal chefs?" he asked in a joking tone, scooping another bite onto his spoon.

"You're kidding me," NIGHT replied, once she'd set her dinner down on the table, finding herself sliding into her own seat. "Give the refrigerator some credit. It actually makes the items you put into it cold which, most likely, is an upgrade from lukewarm apple juice."

DAY took the seat beside her original, and had she been slower on the intake of food, it would be due to a small prayer uttered under her breath. A notably Japanese characteristic of Cardinal, the player noted, turning back to her dish in earnest.

One first bite into a slice of unagi. The work was worth it, and all at once, the sigh NIGHT expelled released any worries that the meal wouldn't be as well-received as she'd expected. Not just by Koga, but by herself first and foremost. A sharp glance up towards her friend once his query had caught her attention, and she swallowed her food to respond.

"No thanks."
"No thanks."

Though the mimicry caught her by surprise, the player was first to answer. "Monsters aren't going to kill themselves while we're busy back here making food. We're not exactly here to play Cooking Mama either."

"You could've mistaken me for a personal assistant of sorts, but I'm way above being just a standard sous chef, thank you very much."

Almost in tandem, the two women resumed picking at their food, taking bites out of their bowl as they saw fit. It was through chewing a spoonful that NIGHT spoke up. "You should try a household attendant if you really didn't want to take care of it yourself. Some players have them, as far as I'm aware, but they cost a pretty penny to sustain and attaining them is something to look into. Choice is up to you, though."

Koga stared daggers at NIGHT before (grumpily) snatching up the bottle of apple juice, closing it, and, rather aggressively, chucking it into the fridge to be made into not lukewarm apple juice.

He was still aggressively stuffing his face with his food (well, mostly rice at this point) when the two woman responded to him in unison. It was actually a little eerie, enough so that Koga had to pause and stare at them, eyes flicking back and forth between them for a moment before returning to his food. "You guys coulda fooled me," Koga said to them both, figuring that was an appropriate response to both their arguments. "You guys are great cooks, so I'd at least put you at head chef, DAY," Koga added, pointing his utensil at the construct. "NIGHT would be...what's below sous chef?" Okami huffed out a laugh. For once at someone else's expense, and not Koga's.

Blue eyes widened at the utensils pointed her way -- and beside her, lilac ones narrowed, NIGHT's frown apparent. Her doppelganger, on a rank higher than her? No, this was going to--

DAY's unamused expression switched quickly to a smile, rivalling a beam on a spring afternoon. Elbow on the table, chin to the edge of her palm, she turned to her other without hesitation, and NIGHT felt the pride of Cardinal consume the entire room. Bouncy, the Gemini was, chopsticks in her other hand dipping into the half-eaten meal absent-mindedly. "Mmm, you heard that, didn't you~? At least someone here recognizes my genius~"

The player shot an incredulous glare towards Koga as her gaze bounced off the entity. "'Sous chef' is the name for a second-in-command in the kitchen," she growled, to the giggle of delight from her secondary. And NIGHT pouted, drinking in the sunshine's satisfaction, as the latter turned back to their food.

"Well, maybe I should visit you more often then, Koga. It's hard going so underappreciated by someone everyday. After all you've done for them."

"Stop exaggerating."

Death and regret was apparent on every inch of the player's face. But also a tinge of red, embarrassment, that flush glowing on the tips of her ears as NIGHT dug into her food once again. "Seriously," the player muttered, dark and glance towards Koga -- one that said this was your fault under that calm facade, pressured, "You give this one an inch and she takes the whole mile. Really..."

"Then maybe you should give out compliments where they're due more often," DAY returned, nose raised high.

"Shut up and eat your food already."

A smirk played across Koga's lips as the player and her partner began to bicker, the man quite satisfied with the results of his actions. "I know what a sous-chef is," he continued to tease, "that's why I was asking what's below it." If the man woke up the next morning with a sword sticking out of his stomach, he wouldn't be surprised. It was a price he was willing to pay for the utter joy he was experiencing right now.

"I'd love a visit or two every one in a while," he replied to the bubbly blonde. "It'd be better company than Yukiro has been lately. Which is nonexistent." That boy was pretty much always giving Koga a reason to be worried, he and Koga's sister both.

The man polished off the bowl of food and gently pushed it aside. "Seriously though, that was really good. Thanks for the meal you guys. You're gonna have to let me take you guys out sometime to repay the favor."

• 2 weeks later...

What hell fury Koga exhaled earlier was now churning within NIGHT, the woman shooting him a sharp glare. The low whistle and bemused smirk from the construct beside her wasn't helping, and neither was the soft hand upon her fingers, as she was gripping the side of the table for release.

Eyes darted over to the contact, and then back to the entity. What replaced the glow of pride was a warm genuinity, underneath a superior's grinning façade. A gentle rub of palm on knuckles, and a confident purr, DAY's eyes not leaving NIGHT's confusion as she faced Koga's way. "I'll promote you. Don't worry."

Two blinks, the woman barely registering the chuckle afterwards, as her double slowly went back to her meal. Fingers help captive rose from their stasis, nails tapping on wood, the player speechless, frowning and red as she looked towards her friend's way. No, she wasn't paying attention. Sorry? Was Yukiro going missing again lately?

"Ever the absolute wanderer," NIGHT choked out, half-stuttering, when she finally remembered to breathe. Her stray hand was balled in a fist. "Should we accept that it's in his nature to get lost nowadays? --As much as I hate it. But not like either of us can afford to go track him down constantly, either, and make sure he's okay."

When Koga finished the bowl in several quick bites, it somehow drew a hostility from the woman, NIGHT digging into her food a hint faster so to keep pace. "It's no problem," she replied, food locked by the corner of her mouth. "And I'll take you up on that offer, assuming you're not looking to feed Yukiro any time soon. Otherwise, he can have our share."

The doppel nodded in turn, reaching out for Koga's bowl to stack with her own. "In that case, we can take your recommendations as payment. Nothing wrong with treating ourselves to dinner once in a while, right NIGHT?"

"Yeah-- wait. You're done too?!"