[OP-F1]Learning the Game<<The First Lesson>>

It was a sunny day, like every other day on the first floor of Aincrad. But today was not an ordinary one. No. It was a very special day for Ranganok, because this was the day when he decided to stop loitering around the Town of Beginnings providing counseling and therapy to traumatized players and start his way up in Aincrad and to work towards clearing the game.  As such, he took on his Rare Plate armor, and a normal-quality scimitar which was sheated and strapped to the left side of his waist. Aside from his shining white armor, his face could be seen, brown eyes and brown laid down hair with bangs covering his forehead. Thanks to what other players have shared in this town, there is an NPC which gives a series of quests pretty much like a tutorial which can help new players greatly. As Ranganok si a cautious man, he decided that this should be his first step and familiarize himself with the game mechanics. 

While strolling through the town square, a voice shouting could be heard: "You there! Stop, please!" A man approaches Ranganok with long, purposeful strides. "Pardon me, but I am in need of some assistance, and you appear quite capable."  Mikael then turns towards the NPC with curious eyes. *Could this be the NPC that starts the quest?* thinks the full plated man. The NPC heaves a quick sigh, adjusting the monocle over his right eye. "My name is Dorian, and I am the mayor of this town. As part of those mayoral duties, I issued a small loan to a member of the community a few months ago. Well, the time to collect had come around and I-" Flustered, Dorian systematically runs his fingers over his perfect mustache. "You see, I've forgotten who it was I loaned the money to. Terribly embarrassing, I know, but I am a very busy man, and I cannot keep track of everything that happens. I'm sure you understand." With a wave of his hand, Dorian continues, "Should you be willing to track down the loan recipient for me, and collect the col, I would be eternally grateful. Just, maybe don't let anyone else know I forgot who the loan went to?"

Looking at the NPC up and down, he can see that the Mayor looks like a very well dressed gentleman. The though of Gentlemen memes and other funny posts from before SAO pops into Ranganok's mind, which makes him let out a slight smile. A pop-up window appears before him asking whenever the full plated man will accept or decline the quest. Of course, Ranganok has pressed on accept. Upon acceptance of the quest, Dorian nods. "Excellent, I knew I could count on you! You might start with Zackariah, the alchemist. He's often doing projects for the town, so it may have been him that borrowed the money." 

After all this, Mikael spends his time to ponder as to where could the alchemist be located in this town...

<<tfl>>

How much time did one need to think about people they've seen around town before?

Really. To Nian, this was no question, but rather an obstacle, by nature of the system. For some reason or another, quests loved to list and delist themselves in her completion log, and this was one of the afflicted names in her menus. And on such occasions, she'd confront the man at his source, his office... or cabin. Today was no different.

Or it would've been... if he didn't up and walk out on a patrol route out of the randomness of Aincrad's heart.

So she near barged past the man speaking to Dorian when she spotted him. Like the emperor had time to entertain other players whilst they lounged about with their hands stuck to their chins. "Shove it," was all she hissed at the man, before glancing at the mayor with nothing more than a glare on her face.

It was by miracle that, without prompting, the quest window revealed itself to her. By miracle, the interface could close, after an acceptance, without breaking from the aggression displayed by the young, 'noble' king.

[[ N I A N ]] 
u4hv3oR.png
NIAN | HP: 60/60 | EN: 24/24 | DMG: 5 | ACC: 2 | EVA: 1 | MIT: 12 | BLEED8+: 12 | PRLYZ
Spoiler

equipment 

• Heaven's Decree
    • +2 ACC
    • +1 EVA
  • Roosevelt
    • + 12 BLEED [8+]
    • + PARALYZE
  • Fur-Hooded Down Jacket
    • + 12 MIT
    • + 0 REGEN

br.inventory 

• Cold Brew Coffee (5) | HP RECOVERY III | [link]

skills 

Spoiler
  • CLAWS | RANK 2/5
  • MARTIAL ARTS | RANK 1/5

buffs 

Spoiler
  • -

Ranganok's thoughts were interrupted abruptly after what seemed like a dark haired short lady came between him and the Mayor NPC"Shove it" , was all she said before focusing on the NPC. Mikael was surprised for a moment, but then he returned back to his normal smiling face thinking *My, my. What a grumpy little girl.* At a first glance, Mikael thought that this person had anti-social behaviour and possibly coming from some trauma or hate towards people. Not really uncommon nowadays. He was a bit interested in hearing her story and analyzing her further, but he cannot just barge into her life without her asking for his help. Judging by her attitude, Ranganok deemed that asking for help as a newcomer will only add to the fire, and possibly perceive it as babysitting. 

As such, after careful consideration, he decided that the best approach here is not to respond as anything could be met with retaliation. Instead, given how she looked a bit more experienced than him in SAO, he would just follow her for now to help him find the alchemist and talk only in a response to her. This could also trigger the young lady, but he can just claim that they are walking in the same direction as they are doing the same quest. 

Edited by Ranganok

No response? What an oaf. But it was better for bystanders to remain so rather than being struck up with conversation.

If only the man would learn how to keep his eyes to himself...

When Nian tossed a look his way, all she caught on his face was a grin. And that was enough for her own expression to sour, albeit slightly, the royal throwing her gaze towards the destination of the alchemist she was tasked to find. Zachariah was less likely to be out and about of his workshop, and thus with raced steps the emperor took off against the streets once again, taking only cursory glances of the signs that passed her by in blurs.

It was there, somewhere in the southern yard of the city that she found his shop, in wanting for new adventurers to fuel his unproductive quest for one experiment or another. Zachariah only opened his mouth for a beat as the king arrived, hand pushing the door to his abode wide. And before he could make an introduction, a line, in a gesture, pulled from left to right by her idle hand would zip the man's mouth shut, beckoning the prompt for the quest's continuation to form ahead of her.

Her tap, less agitated this time, would cue her majesty to be off yet again... if a familiar face hadn't shown up to catch her attention, or block her way just as well.

Everything went according to plan. The girl headed off and Ranganok walked after her. He was a bit conscious about the fact that he might look like a stalker but he tried his best to not be one. After all, he wanted to just reach the Alchemist, and this black haired girl seemed like she knew exactly where she was going. After a bit of time, his suspicions were confirmed and they actually reached the apothecary where the next quest target was. 

The girl entered first, and he couldn't get a good look of what happened there, but as he wanted to enter the apothecary himself the girl tried to rush out so they both stopped in front of the door, on each side. Finding himself stuck like this, made Ranganok chuckle a bit, and then he started talking to the girl: "I am sorry about that. I guess you want to leave." and as he goes to the side of the door to allow the other player to leave, he extends his side towards exterior, in the direction the girl would go, and did a small courteous bow, continuing: "After you." One reason why he was doing something like this is that Mikael was curious about how this character would react and would also provide a better insight into what kind of person she is. 

Such an information would also be helpful for him in the future to interact and deal with such persons and even herself. As such, Ranganok now stands near the entrance allowing the lady to move freely through the door and trying to analyze her reactions. 

Sorry. Was this man... stalking her?

Everyone wanted attention of the one true ruler, it seems. But rightful ranking aside, even if the other player had been prudent about how best to proceed, clueless about the continuation of their quest, there would be no handouts for commoners under heaven's rule. A squint was all she was willing to give, the other man bowing to showcase his goodwill.

Nian was out in returning the sentiment, at this hour.

With a growl, she brushed past him all the same, hastened steps leading her to the outskirts of town. And had that serf the nerve to bound in her wake, surely the monsters would prove that test of heart to all adventurers, aside from the emperor's own leading coat tails that he'd been riding on the entire time.

She gave the streets behind her glares over her own back, while she walked. Only stopped once her boots had reached dusty sands of the trodden path ahead, beyond the safety of the Town of Beginnings, when her knees had finally rustled tall grass. And, with the aid of red vanity silk gloves that sparkled to reality upon her finger tips, she began her search for that missing 'five materials of ever-worldly want' for her fool's errand.

ID202846 | LD14 | (1/5)

The woman....did not react as Ranganok was hoping. By seeing her squint, Mikael would think that she was suspicious to his behaviour. It was quite a normal reaction which did not give him much in terms of information. But he decided to let it slide and let the girl go in peace to her things. 

After that, he decided to enter the apothecary. The inside is filled with shelves and shelves of colorful potions in various vials and jars. “Oh, hello," comes the distracted greeting from behind the counter. A man with a long, snow-white beard glances up from a bubbling cup of sweet-smelling purple liquid. "Are you here to order something? I’m sorry, but I am currently swamped with orders, and I’m running out of supplies.” Light comes into the man's dark eyes, a lightbulb going off to signify a brilliant idea. “Would you gather a few materials for me? Flowers, herbs, rare woods, whatever you can find outside the city walls. I promise I’ll help you fill your order as soon as you return. In fact, I would be willing to show you how to do it yourself.”

Without him reacting at all, his quest has updated itself. It seems like Mikael will have to do some gathering in order to progress this quest. *If my knowledge is correct and this quest is like a tutorial, then that means this is where I learn how to gather materials. This should prove useful for crafting and upgrading my gear.* After the monologue in his head, he decided to go to the plains outside the town of beginning. After a few minutes of walking, Ranganok stood outside of the city confines. This was no longer a safe zone. It was probably the 2nd or 3rd time he ever got outside the city and this was the first time when he actually intends to do a quest. 

As such, Mikael started to look through the tall grass and around him for anything that can be a material:

----------------------------------------

<<Searching for Materials>>

Searching results: 202861| 11

Material Found: Herb

Quest progress: Materials(1/5)

----------------------------------------

Mikael has managed to find a plant that was looking like an useful herb. After taking it and putting it in inventory, his quest has updated. Only now he looks around a bit more and he finds that the grumpy woman is here also. It was predictable given that they are doing the same quest. Given the circumstances, Mikael approaches her, and asks: "Hi. I am Ranganok. It seem after all that we are doing the same quest. Do you want to party up and help each other to speed up the process? You look like someone who appreciates efficiency. So what do you say?" 

After that he would wait for the black haired girl to answer him. After all, the alternative of just being there without saying anything would make him look like a creep. Mikael might not be the most sociable person or the best at initiating conversations, but at least he is trying to do well by other people. Or at least that is what he keeps telling himself. 

Edited by Ranganok

Good. Another sparkling herb. Expedient searches meant she would get to other parts of her day sooner.

It was only when she'd exhausted her immediate area of foreseeable resources that she straightened her back out. And the sound of footsteps on dirt could only mean one thing. Except, the emperor hadn't expected the goof to offer a proper introduction.

A whirl around, and she stared back cautiously at the would-be stalker.

"Ranganok," Nian iterated, a grating disbelief highlighting her seared tone. "What is that, a bastardization of Ragnarok? That world ending event from Norse mythos?" She gave the man a look over, and then another snort. Compared to Plini, at least this would-be looked less likely to be a might-have-been than her arbiter.

"Partying up's fine. But this isn't a quest you do with others, and neither would it benefit from any amount of efficiency from two people." The king then squinted once more, examining his almost baby-like expression. "What are you, new to this?"

ID202863 | LD18 | (2/5)

The lady turned around towards him and asked him about his name: "What is that, a bastardization of Ragnarok? That world ending event from Norse mythos?" Mikael, unphased by the question, after all he was expecting this much, replies with tranquility: "Ah. Yes you could say that it is inspired from Ragnarok. But it's real meaning is a bit more than that. Ragnarok is the time when the Great Wolf Fenris, which was unjustly imprisoned by fearful Gods, breaks his shackles and destroys the Old Order of the Gods who have wronged him. Ragnarok does not mean the end of the world, but it means the end of the Gods. It is a symbol that even the Gods are not above Justice, or Karma, if you will."  He could not really say that the true origin of the name was from when he was a little child and he could not correctly pronounce Ragnarok and he would keep mispronouncing it Ranganok. It stuck with him and that is how he got the name Ranganok. But in time he did form this view and philosophy around the name, with which he agrees. 

"Partying up's fine. But this isn't a quest you do with others, and neither would it benefit from any amount of efficiency from two people." The little girl would keep squiting and looking suspiciously at Mikael. Then she asks the million dollar question: "What are you, new to this?" Ranganok smiles and he replies kindly:  "While I am not really new to games and gaming in general, I am kinda new to SAO. Since the start of the game and until now, most of the time I was doing therapy with the traumatized players in the Town of Beginnings. I helped them cope with the reality of our situation and to stop having mental breakdowns. I may not seem like it, but I do know a bit of psychology. After all this time, I decided that it was the time for me to do my part in clearing the game. Believe it or not, this is actually my..."

-------------------------------------

Searching results: 202865 | LD20

Quest progress: Materials(2/5)

--------------------------------------

Ranganok's eyes wander off to the side for a bit and he just happens to see another herb to be gathered. He abruptly interrupts what he was saying, he crouches down and takes another herb, which updates his quest log. Then he gets back up, looks at the girl and continues: "...what I was saying is that this is actually my first SAO quest. I am not really familiar with the SAO system yet, which is why I chose to do this tutorial-like questline. But I am confident in my gaming skills. All I lack is the specific knowledge about the game. I see, so in this game, the gathering quest logs do not share in party. But it can still be helpful in case of monsters." 

Mikael slides his finger down, making the UI appear and then sends a party request to the mysterious lady. While doing that he asks: "I am sorry, but I didn't quite get your name." After all this, Ranganok is just waiting for the black haired lady to respond to both the party request and his speech. 

Edited by Ranganok

What an earful.

And knowing she'd just stood around listening to the commoner ramble -- ugh! The things nobility had to put up with for the betterment of their people. Honestly, said emperor was stuck trying to keep vile down as faux-Ragnarok went on about his life or something.

He was new to this. And it was painfully obvious to see.

"Yes, yes. That's fine and dandy," she uttered, clapping her hands as though it would hurry the beginner up on his speech. "Really, if you're so well-versed in people as you said, then surely you'd know how to speak with them, too. You are lucky to have met a patient and dignified person such as myself. Now, we really must be moving along..."

It was only after he'd sent the request that the king continued on her expedition. She couldn't rely on a novice to even understand how to send party requests if he was, heavens forbid, monologuing, and neither did she prefer his steps trailing along hers for no discernable reason. If anything, having a paladin-esque meat shield meant all-out affairs on the quests to come.

She'd just wish she was able to find the plants she needed to advance, first.

Nian she remained quiet, even after the other had prompted for a title -- the interface would display it with a small transition by the side of the screen.

"Just holler if you find anything."

ID202872 | LD1 | nothing found. (2/5)

Ranganok was actually surprised that she stood and listened through it all. She actually made the effort to listen, which nowaday can be quite rare. *It seems she is really a good person* thought the man while smiling. *Did she just praised herself by being Patient and Dignified?* This caught Mikael's attention. From this statement, Ranganok drew the conclusion that she could have narcississtic pattern behaviour, but not to the degree where she is completely self-absorbed and selfish. She was quite the unique specimen, this girl. This only increased the man's curiosity. 

But then he returns to her statement on how to speak. He then responds to the lady: "Well....that is not one of my strong points. My specialty is understanding Human emotions and behaviour pattern, but I do have issues in conveying this information and information in general in a way that it doesn't trigger or offend others. I still have much to learn on this part." said the man in a jokingly manner while scratching the back of his head. And then he continues: "But I am grateful that you stood and listened to my rambling" said the man while doing a small bow in show of gratitude. If she is truly narcississtic, this kind of approach might be the best in establishing good relationships. 

When it comes to the party invite she just ignored it. Well it was to be expected. Not everyone is open or trustful or even sociable. Especially inside a death game full of mentally unstable people. 

"Just holler if you find anything." said the woman. As such, Ranganok has decided to let this interaction at this for now and continue his search for materials.

Searching results: 202898 | LD12

Quest progress: Materials(3/5)

Mikael has found another herb in the tall grass. He harvests it. He already got more than half needed for the quest. This is extremely easy for him given how fast things go. But then again, it is the first tutorial quest, it is supposed to be easy. 

Edited by Ranganok

So... what? Autism? Or simply just a lack of socialization with others at a young age? Not that it was her responsibility to resolve knock-off R's situation. But with the adjacency of the topics, surely someone in his position must've picked up on useful mimicry behaviour.

Whatever. Nian scoffed once again as the man bowed, almost akin to an NPC back in town. Who even bowed these days? It seemed like such an ancient trope, almost dating back to Victorian ages -- ah, but then again, Ragna-eggnog did seem to portray himself the type of good-natured paladin. Down to the etchings on his armor in appearance, no less.

Had she given him a wide berth in her search for materials, it was because her interface hadn't picked up on anything that caught her attention. Strange -- and annoying. Every wasted second here was her burning daylight. There was more to this questline, dammit. Surely it wasn't that hard to farm for materials like the commoners were used to.

Like... Ranganok was used to, when the king glanced over to his position, the man already holding yet another shining herb in his hand. And Nian was in a position of envy, though she said nothing about it.

ID202899 | LD2 | nothing found. (2/5)

Ranganok has continued to do his job while taking a glance at the black haired lady from time to time. If they would make visual contact, he would just smile at her and unless she asked anything he would just focus back to finding herbs.

The sun was shining, which would be reflected on his armour. The entire scenery was quite pleasant and serene. It was relaxing, no monster in sight, no disturbances, only they and the nature. This can sometimes make you forget that you are stuck in a literal death game. 

While he was searching he also started overthinking. He didn't really get a positive feedback by his bows. It is true that he loved fantasy games and history and probably it is what shaped his mannerism, but it can't make him stop that maybe he is coming as creepy to the lady. Maybe he could try and behave more like a normal person, but Ranganok was never a normal person from the beginning. Well his social skills are not that good, after all he was all alone and on his own most of the time. Depression and Anxiety can make you do that, but thankfully he got rid of them. But he still remained with his bad social skills. 

Searching results: 202900 | LD6

No Material Found

Quest progress: Materials(3/5)

As such, Mikael continues searching for plants in order to complete his quest. 

So she found another. Scooped the item up in her hands. Three out of five was good progress, but if it was up to her, she would've been more than far gone with these starter quests. With Ranganok in the distance as an eye sore, sun shining upon him as though choosing a holy favoured, the woman couldn't help but mistake the player as a material from time to time.

And fair enough; she knew she'd been snappy, but let it not be spoken that the king had temper tantrums, nor that they didn't look after their followers. With a keen eye out for other pick-ups, Nian closed in on the other player. "Well? How's your progress?" Given a chance to answer, the emperor would follow it up with a query, eyes narrowed, and her arms folded. "Wait. While we're at it, tell me something, serf."

"What's with that get-up? Roleplaying?"

ID202901 | LD12 | 3/5

MIkael was continuing his search, eyes focused on the prize and trying to not let any stone unturned.

Searching results: 202902 | LD12

Quest progress: Materials(4/5)

Once again, Mikael was able to find another material. *Almost done. I only need one more Herb and I will be able to complete the quest. It won't be long.* 

Then the black haired lady turned to Ranganok and asked him how is his progress. However, before he could respond, he is intrerupted with "Wait. While we're at it, tell me something, serf." 

This statement does make Ranganok curious as to what the woman before him wanted. And then the question comes. It was about his getup. 

He smiles and answer without hesitation: "It is nothing like that. It just happens that someone gifted me this rare armor as thanks for helping their friend with therapy, given our predicament. It is quite useful and good to protect myself. And since I didn't have any better armor, this is what I wear. After all, in the beginning of the game, the players wear what they get, not what they want. It's aesthetic is not really to my liking, but it does it's job for now." 

Gifts from other players. She did wonder where any of them had gotten their own resources from, to be able to afford such dazzling armor. That, and if the man she spoke to did claim to be one to tend to the other refugees in the Town of Beginnings, she didn't think they would have much to spare.

Nian had squatted when Ranganok had spoken, plucking another shimmering leaf from its stem when the object had shone to life by her feet. She'd rise with an exhale, breath quiet, still perplex by the choice of gift. "Then it must've been cushy," she continued, returning the herb to her inventory. "But I can't see practical use of that armor to a nobody like yourself, given the work you do -- or used to do." An idle hand flipped a lock of her hair backwards. "So, what drove you out here? Because looking to put someone's good will to use, just for the sake of it on its own, sounds like a death wish to yourself."

ID202903 | LD15 | 4/5

The Discussion kept going on while both of them were searching for materials. The questions she had was quite specific. Mikael took a moment to collect his thoughts before responding to the dark haired lady's question. Not because he did not know the answer, but rather because he needed to formulate an explanation for his reason in a way that it can be properly understood. After this moment of contemplation, Ranganok responds with a more serious attitude:

"Ever since this whole ordeal started I have been mostly only in the Town of Beginnings. I was in this unknown world, not knowing how anything works, and suddenly the danger of dying was real. It would be a lie if I said that it didn't affect me. But going head first and doing what we are told is not quite my style. I am the kind of person who asks questions, sometimes the hardest and most pertinent questions. I wanted answers, but I didn't want to risk my life for them. However, when I saw all those broken people in the town, how they were slowly dying inside, I thought that rather than standing and overthinking I could try to help, even if just a little. During all this time I have helped a few people get over the trauma, and some did a so good job at getting over it that they started becoming active players trying to complete the game. But after all this time, I am not really needed here anymore. The people I could help got over it. Those who are still traumatized, simply grew complacent and do not want to be healed. Their trauma became part of their identity. And that was the time when the realization hit me: I could stand here until the end of time to try to help those people, and it would most likely be for nothing. And every person I have helped, would have been for nothing if we never manage to get out of here. As such I reached the conclusion that the only thing left for me is either to stagnate here and become complacent or move forward and try to help in clearing this game. That is when I I decided to put this armor on. And thanks to the veteran players that keep coming back here, now I am not really going in blind. Perhaps you think of me as a coward, but even if I am a bit scared about the prospect, I cannot let myself fall into complacency....never again."  

At the end of his speech, Ranganok recalls his days when he still had depression and anxiety and how each day was a living hell for him. 

Searching results: 202904 | LD2

No Material Found

Quest progress: Materials(4/5)

If the king had willed herself to listen, dissatisfied, it was because of the lack of scavengable materials in their vicinity, despite her apt and cautious looking. "Ah," Nian commented dryly, eyes sweeping over the waves of green that ebbed as the wind gusted through and along the hills. "So to summarize it, you ran away from civilian life to chase a 'noble goal'." For a second, she glanced back at the plated armor still glimmering from the midday sun. Perhaps he really was roleplaying, after all.

"You say your work back in town would be for nothing." The player gestured as she spoke, losing her focus on the fields whilst she did so. "In the perspective of your psychology work; sure, perhaps. You're the expert in this field between the two of us. But that's not all that the refugees rely on to continue living in this game."

The emperor tossed a thumb backwards, in the general direction of where she believed the labyrinth on the first was. "If life is all about survival, then your 'dream' would be sufficient in 'saving' these people. But is life all about making through to another day? Charity work -- the sort of aid players provide to better the lives of hapless nobodies sitting on their asses in fear of what's to come next -- that in itself is still just as noble as the goal you claim to reach."

"So."

Heaven's favourite folded her arms, shifting her weight upon one foot. A once neutral and tense expression only melted to one of disbelief and further agitation, had it not already been present in the beginning. "If I were to call you a coward, it'd be running away from your post, civilian."

"But," royalty continued, after a brief pause. "If you really believe that's your goal, then be the 'coward' you think yourself to be. Act like it, in that suit of armor, and pursue the ones you 'sent off to die' at the very beginning of your journey."

The woman heaved a sigh then, pacing past Ranganok for a better vantage point over the starting grounds. "Well, c'mon," she spat, giving his armor a flick on the way past. "We still have a job to do, and Heaven only knows if you're 'complacent' still once you're staring down the edge of a blade."

ID202934 | LD10 | nothing found. (4/5)