[OP-F24] Valentines Tournament Arc Round 1 - Opening Ceremonies and Observer Thread

Nari held her hand out to accept the tea from the man who had arrived to offer it, giving a small nod in thanks towards him – albeit attempting to remain hidden and out of sight from the others. As she did so, she saw the blonde-haired girl from the Christmas party offer a small greeting, with a smile, and Nari felt herself flush in her cheeks.

She gave a slight smile in response, bowing her head slightly towards the girl. She whispered slightly, unsure if the girl – Nari had never actually gotten her name – would hear her or not. “Uhm…hello…”

She let her eyes wander over the group that had begun to grow, suddenly realising just how many people were there. She glanced towards the sparring squares, seeing a few people still fighting, and suddenly wondering when the next rounds of combat would start – she was looking forward to testing herself against this Alkor, especially after everything that Koga had said.

@Astralin

Spoiler

Word Count: 161

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The impossible happened earlier. When not in sight, Yona slapped herself over and over, trying to wake up from what seemed to be a nightmare to her. She couldn't possibly have lost this early!

Despite having attempted to set her Plan B into motion, she hated the fact that not only did she lose in the first round...she'd been beaten by a blonde veteran...and the veteran was prettier than her! How in the world, why? Why? Was it the difference in hair color or something? Should Yona dye her hair blonde? No, wait, that'd be a terrible idea involving her not being true to herself.

She needed to get this frustration out and prove that she's no weakling...maybe she should challenge the other losers after all... Yona looked over to a gathering group over at the seating...speak of the devil, there was a loser over there right now!

Last she checked, Astralin lucked out and beat down the blue haired dude that proceeded to show up, and he wasn't even the loser Yona had initially spotted...but, one at a time. She could make use of this opportunity.

She waited patiently for the Blue haired player to finish giving out tea to the players who accepted it, then she would get a bit closer. "Hey, you." Yona began. "Yes, you, with the blue hair. That's right I'm talking to you." Now that she had made sure the right player was listening, time to say a few words... 

"So, I heard you got beat by a blonde, eh? Not every day something like that happens...I bet you wanna still prove yourself, even if it's self assurance that you aren't slipping, or something like that." Yona remarked with a sly smirk. "Sure, I may have lost the first round as well, but who says I'm done fighting?" Yona noted. She then looked the player directly in the eyes.

1408397884_Screenshot2022-02-127_21_12PM.png.c3e119b59d1b497dfff674d26de92fc3.png

"Come and accept my challenge, if you dare."

@Calrex

With that, she turned around to leave the group be so they might return to their conversation, and leave the blue haired player to make a decision on whether or not to accept her challenge.

Astreya was grinning like a cat, unable to help herself.  She really enjoyed being surrounded by this many people and just being able to talk and to chat and just... have fun.  Relax.  Pretend like they weren't fighting for their lives or trapped in a game by some megalomaniac that wanted them all to crash against the wall that was oncoming foes until they had no choice but to overcome the walls that were before them.  It was nice to throw all of that away and just be normal again for a little while.  She had never met Baldur, but she made a note to talk to him at some point, to thank him for this.

But as she was thinking that, the fellow she'd been watching fight Astralin made his appearance and she couldn't help but to grin slightly as he showed up, none-too-subtly appreciating the form that was on display.  She wasn't sure if she was actually interested in the man at all- that was completely out of left field to be such to someone that she'd not even met, but she could still appreciate what was being shown.  Yet as he offered tea, her eyes brightened and she bounced a little in place.  "That would be totally awesome, like, thank you!" she cheered, giving him a grin.

At Astralin's words, the girl couldn't help but grin.  "That someone is gonna be me!  We're fighting next whenever the next round goes!  I dunno how it'll end up but either way, one of us will win.  Like, obviously, but I'm glad it'll be one of us!" the girl spoke.  While Astralin had been someone that she had really only met once before, she'd been quite fond of the blond-haired girl, and then they'd reconnnected at Koga's party a bit and she had been glad for that opportunity- it made her feel happy to have spread herself out to get to know so many other people.  "But like, when it comes to the victory, we'll see how it goes!  And Yona's preferences can, like, be whatever.  I'm not gonna date her.  Probably," the girl responded, thinking somewhat to herself on that note.

But before she could get too far in that, Astralin doubled back around to Alkor and the woman shrugged.  "Like, it's not like a date would be a fight.  It can't be that dangerous.  Plus like, if he says no, I'll just ask someone else," she murmured, before glancing back at the girl hiding somewhat behind her.  "We do both gotta beat Nari though if we wanna have, like, a chance at the finals!" she added with a small grin toward her friend.

Astreya had been about to ask something else to Koga regarding Alkor, when Yona issued her challenge to Calrex, and the dark-haired girl couldn't help but to clap her hands- this was exciting.  "Oh man!  So like, if you're gonna accept, before you go, my name's Astreya!  Or Iris, whichever," the girl spoke, not really against giving out her real name as she beamed a smile at the blue-haired man.  "It's nice to meet you!"

As she watched Calrex leave the kitchen with the tea, she turned her attention to the remaining tray. Steam softly lilted from the neck of the kettle and the scent of steeped leaves lingered like a floral bouquet. In the humid heat of the kitchen, Snow took just a moment longer to appreciate the silence. The presence of those like Calrex, Baldur, Cordelia, and the rest of Jacob's Ladder calmed the blonde. The slew of unfamiliar faces, although welcomed and overall pleasant, tugged at the strings in Snow's chest. The anxiety of being judged flared despite her posture and despite her relationship to the lord of the estate. She took a breath to focus on it, hold it tight, and stuff it deep into the dark recesses of her being.

"Tea," she muttered. She then swept up the remaining tray and with a painted smile, returned to the busy hall filled with guests.

Snow smirked to herself at the sight of @Calrex serving tea to a sizable group. She even noticed the intense eye contact from yet another girl (@Yona) in what seemed like a challenge or insult.  Perhaps he found himself a training partner sooner than Snow anticipated? The girl then turned around and left toward the dojo near the sand garden on the outer perimeter of Baldur's estate. Snow chuckled.

Tea, she reminded herself.

Of all the tenants, her sights landed on a familiar face that looked a touch flustered and just a little worn form her earlier match. Snow walked up to @Lessa, tea in hand and offered a slight curtsy in greeting.

"Lovely match, Lessa," Snow commented. The last they saw each other was with @Alkor in the seventh floor where both of them displayed combat prowess to put show to shame against the giant sand worm. Speaking of... "I saw Alkor around here too, did the two of you decide to come together or just a coincidence?"

The blonde quickly realized how informal she sounded. Afterall, they hardly knew one another aside from that one meeting, and Lessa looked a bit nervous.

"I'm sorry. That was a bit forward. Can I offer you some tea? Take a moment to relax and refresh?" Snow gestured to the cast iron kettle with ornate designs and several ceramic mugs.

As some of the people he approached accepted or denied the offering, Calrex merely gave a calm smile and a nod. However, the moment was soon quickly interrupted as he heard someone address him, "Hm?"

It was another one of the people who had participated in the tournament, and seemingly had lost in the first round as well. There were words flung seemingly towards him, ones that might have been considered pokes at his ego or some sort. However it merely resulted in a slight bit of confusion on his side, "Is what she saying for me...or for herself? Either case I wasn't expecting to have someone challenge me so soon."

@Yonawalked off before the bluenette had a chance to respond, but at the same time he couldn't find any harm in giving another match a go. It at least would also give him an idea of how the up and coming players are adapting to the difficulties that come with venturing out of the Starting City.

@Astreyaseemingly chimed in afterwards, breaking the strange tension that was building in his mind, introducing herself with a pair of names he could address her by. Reaching one arm back to rub the back of his head, the Ultramarine Knight gave a shrug, "Sure, I don't mind another match. It's another opportunity to put my skills to the test and see where it ends up. However, I guess I should be making my way back to the sparring area again. It was nice to meet all of you, and best of luck in your next matches."

With that he gave a quick bow/nod before stepping away, making a quick stop at the kitchen to drop off his tray. Rolling his shoulders to warm them up, he gave a small sigh, "Well, time to go at this again I suppose. Wonder how that young woman fights. I was too busy with my duel to keep track of how hers went. Guess we'll have to see."

"No reason you can't have fun and still give it your all," Koga stated with a simple shrug. Sometimes, he felt people made things too complicated. Often, they thought him too simple, but what was the point with something like this? Fun and effort were not mutually exclusive to begin with.

Her second question though had the Wolf narrow his eyes at her. "If you mean when you suggested we kill Bacon, there very much are hard feelings," he said venomously, staring daggers at her. She was still not allowed anywhere near the little boar. The preciousness must be protected.

Astreya had Koga blinking for several seconds as he tried to fathom the question she'd just asked. It wasn't so much her asking the question as it was Koga struggled to even attempt to imagine Alkor on a date. With anyone. A human. A sentient being in general. It felt like trying to comprehend the concept of an object existing within a four dimensional Euclidian space. It boggled the mind. "I mean...you could," the man finally said, after ensuring his brain hadn't melted and run out his nose. "I don't know how well that would turn out...but you could try. And yes, Astralin, he is indeed, very dangerous, but only if you're a threat to other players. You guys shouldn't have anything to worry about."

It was around this time that Calrex made his appearance. Recognizing the other man from their time fighting Gabrandr, and the chaos that had ensued following that battle, Koga gave the man a nod as he accepted the cup of tea. "Thanks man. How've you been? I haven't seen you in a hot minute."

No sooner had Koga picked up the tea from the Knight did a loud voice call out to Calrex. "Uh...what the fuck is going on?" Koga whispered to himself, immediately recognizing Yona for her...strange...behavior as his little Christmas soiree. It seemed any time this girl was present, some sort of strangeness was afoot. What was more was the fact that Calrex actually accepted. Well, more power to him? Koga just stared blankly for a moment, reminding himself that days like this were why he preferred to avoid people.

Morningstar dried his wet hand on his kimono. The bird, finding nothing but stone, flew away into the trees. He stretched his arms, extending them above his head. He was beginning to feel comfortable; however, instead of staying and relaxing he forced himself off the ground.

Star gazed up at the tree line. "Thanks for the company."

He was sure someone had mentioned beverages when he arrived, but couldn't remember where. The dojo made the most sense. He walked back up the stone path until he reached the entrance to the dojo. The fights were almost done, although that was the case when he'd left as well.

The crowd was unchanged; some viewed the matches from a distance while others socialized in groups. Morningstar was anything but anti-social but in that moment, he felt like his battery was sapped of it's energy. He wasn't sure he could handle more than a person or two. As he scanned the observers, he noticed a few faces sticking out from the crowd. It wasn't because he knew them, but because he'd done the same sweep of the room a million times. There were new viewers, but it mostly stayed the same.

His kimono flowed as he stepped through and around batches of people. He missed his cloak, but appreciated the comfort that the traditional garment offered. Morningstar, apologizing to someone he'd bumped, noticed shades of orange and green by an entrance to the dojo. He'd found his target.

"Hey," Star approached the man, "you were competing earlier, right? I'm Morningstar."

@Jomei

Some time had elapsed since Jomei parted ways with him before Alkor returned to the group. They were abuzz with talk of the final fights of the first round. He caught bits and pieces of the conversation as he happened close enough, but voices and words bled together. Alkor was bad at large group activities, in no small part because they overloaded his senses.

The inability to get his footing in the room put him on edge, and he looked for a spot along the wall to set his roots in. He heard his name, several times in fact. It wasn't a familiar voice, and in crowded areas he didn't trust his mind not to play tricks on him. Instead, he looked around and picked faces out of the crowd.

@Koga, surrounded by women, surprisingly. @NIGHTwas one of them, and at a glance, the only one he could place. His first impression of the situation had to have been off, and Koga wasn't flirting with a group of ladies. NIGHT would have kicked his ass for that.

@Lessa was there, too. He hadn't seen her come in, or watched her fight. It made sense though. There had been another tournament once, hadn't there? And she fought in that one, too...? He strained to recall how that had gone, to no avail. It was still nice to see her.

And that meant...

He really didn't know many people.

Standing off a ways behind the crowds that gathered to watch the final fights of the first round come to a close, Jomei peered over their heads. A neutral expression on his face as he absently watched the clash of wooden weapons. Eyes did not follow when the opponents moved across the tatami mats, revealing his mind was somewhere else. His arms poked out from under the long, green fabric that was draped over his shoulders, tucking into each other as he stood with them crossed. 

This day wasn't really going the way he had hoped it would. 

An unfamiliar voice peaked up, pulling him back to reality from his trance. A messy head of lighter hair that stood a couple of inches shorter than him. "Jomei" he introduced himself with a nod towards the stranger, turning a head to look in their direction. "Yes, I did. Was a short lived bout, got my ass handed to me. You were out there as well yeah? Took a win against Hirru?"

@Morningstar

"Yeah," Morningstar said proudly, "although I'll admit there was some luck involved."

He used his training sword as an anchor, leaning on it while he fiddled with the angel wing pendant around his neck. He liked Jomei's cloak. It almost reminded him of his own, although his was a lighter shade of green. He looked back to the duels. Truthfully, it seemed like the strongest players were the ones losing. It surprised him.

"Sorry to hear that you're out so early. Who'd you fight? Anyone I should be worried about?" Star half joked.

He hadn't watched all of the matches but from what he had seen, Alkor was the most daunting opponent. Part of him prayed they wouldn't get the chance to fight, while the other was thrilled at the sheer though of the challenge. Morningstar flipped his blade, holding it up between his bicep and his torso while he tightened his kimono. 

@Jomei

Zandra had to admit, she was really, really disapointed at herself. Something was clearly wrong with her today. She, one the most experienced and combat loving players on the frontlines. She looked down at the sword that she now casually held in a half loose grip. ‘’Well, to see it from the bright side, I wont have to use you anymore. Never liked swords like you anyway.’’ she said to the sword before putting it back at the weapon stand. Then she unequipped the training armor, revealing her casual attire. A black and red hoodie with some comfy pants.

As the weapon was no long with her, she walked over to her opponent with her long, black hair in two tails. Her crimson eyes looked into his as she stretched forth her hand towards him. ‘’That was very well fought. You are quite skilled with that dagger.’’ she started with a warm smile on her lips. ‘’My name is Zandra, was nice to battle you.’’

@Bismuth

Edited by Zandra

Returning to the throng after an entertaining side bar conversation with Cordelia, Freyd melded into the crowd.  It was a rare a special treat for someone who regularly consigned himself to the shadows to mingle so openly with other players.  It should have felt awkward, and usually did.  But not today.  Today, it was elating, like lifting a weighted blanket from your shoulders after it had nearly suffocated you.

A quick wave and nod were made to @Calrexas he passed him and @Snowemerging from the kitchens.  A quizzical look at the Ultramarine Knight played tauntingly at whatever the two of them might have been doing behind closed doors.

@Griswoldstood awkwardly by one side, making himself just about the largest wallflower imaginable.  "It's a party, my friend.  Go talk to people!  And I wasn't able to use that 'stick' in my bout, or the outcome would have been rather different.  The thing's come a bit undone, too, so I'm glad we were sticking with training blades."  Pulling at the edge of the void-like wraps enveloping his hands, he knew that the legendary smith would have questions and quickly sidetracked him from shop-talk.  "Yo!  @Lessa!  Come talk to Griswold.  The poor man is out of his depths and needs you desperately!"

A familiar blonde drifted into view.  This place was crawling with players from all walks and corners of Aincrad.  "@Astralin?  Please tell me you're not here chasing Dazia.  No, wait. That was Krysta.  We got you that Essence of Steel, I think.  Did you manage to put it to good use?"

A quick last-second sidestep barely avoided collision with someone who could have been his brother, by appearances.  The other was surrounded by women and in the throes of some clearly compelling drama.

"Koga?  @Koga!"  A hand firmly planted upon his doppelganger's shoulder, giving it a solid grip and shake.  "You did great in the raid!  See!  Nothing to worry about at all, except for that whole 'everybody at each others' throat thing, but that what makes it fun, right?"  Without knowing what all the hubbub was about, Freyd hoped a little praise on his frontlines prowess might merit Koga a bit of credit with his crowd.  A playful wink went in @Astreya's direction before he managed to complete his acrobatic dodge and regain proper footing. 

"That was well-played.  Congratulations on your victory.  I've never quite enjoyed losing so much as I did earlier today."  Jovial as his tone might be, Freyd finished with a proper and heartfelt bow to show her that he respected the outcome.  She had, as always, given it her all.  Excusing himself, he returned to his mingling, wishing them all well and pointing them to Calrex and Snow to refresh their snacks and beverages.

It took a bit of artful blending to avoid @Morgenstern, as he rounded a blind corner, choosing not to risk another outburst as had happened during the debate over Gabrandr's fate.  The man was too volatile, and a repeat here would spoil the mood.  Freyd did manage to catch @tricolor_minaby his side, and couldn't help wonder how those two had even become a couple in the first place.

"Good graces!  You're still alive!  Where've you been hiding @Jomei?  We missed you at the raid, and could have used your sensibilities to help keep things calm!"  A friendly greeting was offered to the ginger's companion.  There were quite a few faces here that he'd still not matched with names, or hadn't yet had the pleasure of meeting, and would have done so save for the spotting of a mysterious white-haired beauty in the distance, arguing with something blue.

A small hum of a laugh accompanied a hooked smirk. "Luck? Not sure if I would call winning a duel luck. Give yourself some more credit." A hand extended from underneath his cloak, patting Morningstar on outer bicep. "Hirru's been putting a lot of focus into healing skills lately, so he probably had the blow the dust off of his fighting capabilities." Without the use of sword arts and skills, the duelists needed to rely on any abilities they carried over from their real lives, or those they picked up within Aincrad. It truly showed who depended on Cardinal to carry them through the game, and who didn't need to. Sadly, Jomei was amongst the former. 

Turning his attention to the various gathered crowds, he scanned for the woman who was his opponent. Easy to spot out; a short frame with purple hair, Jomei lazily pointed in her direction. "There, the one with the violet hair. Nari-Larenth. She may not have many levels under her belt, but she's got some real life swordsman skills that make her a hell of an opponent. Definitely keep your guard up if you go up against her.. And don't like the shy exterior fool you, she was a completely different person when she fought."

"But.. what happened happened." he said with a shrug of his shoulders, "Honestly, I just thought it would be fun to participate.. I wouldn't have had anyone in mind to take with me on that date Baldur's offering as a reward." 

A more familiar presence approached the duo, asking about his whereabouts. Jomei offered a small smile in greeting, "Freyd, good to see you again... Yeah I know I missed it I was-" eyes rolled, not out of irritation, but as if searching for how to formulate his words, ".. I had a lot going on at home. But I'll be ready for the next one." 

@Morningstar
@Freyd

"Completely understandable," he said replying to Jomei.  "Though I'm not sure I agree with your take on the tournament.  This thing isn't about skill at all, or even a contest of wills.  It's an expression of pure human spirit - of the chaos and passions we all carry in our hearts.  It's not about winning or what who can claim what victory for themselves.  It's about what we can give back to each other: motivation, comradery, community.  Who knows, maybe a few might even find love?"  He offered them a smile, as if waxing philosophical was the greatest treasure in the world.

"That's the true stroke of genius about Baldur setting this up.  He's given people a chance to bond and build memories.  You could see the fractures forming throughout the front lines at the end of the last raid.  Those who were at floor 23's raid tell horror stories of the front lines basically turning on each other.  We can't have that if we ever hope survive this place."

Looking at both men before him and then at all of the other players gathered around the estate, he shrugged and offered them this simple summary:

"We all need hope."

Nari-Larenth.

Morningstar gazed in her direction for a moment, listening to Jomei's advice. Yet another opponent he was excited to face. His thoughts were interrupted by another new voice. The stranger's dark hair matched his traditional outfit elegantly. He had a piercing gaze that gave his words even more meaning. 

"Well said," he nodded to the man, "in all honesty, I don't know many people. I've spent a good portion of my time here alone. This has been a nice change, I'd say. Hell, even the rush I get from competing feels great. Even if I don't come out with the win, I have a feeling I won't mind all that much."

He thought back to his fight with Hirru and of the thrill he experienced throughout the event. The emotions he'd felt after landing his first hit and after being hit himself. The realization that he'd won and the fleeting moment of content that followed. He remembered the bluebird he'd met by the water and the sudden peace it had brought him; the hope for a brighter future.

He beamed. "Freyd, right? I'm Morningstar."

@Jomei@Freyd

"Morningstar?  Like the heavy ball thingy on a stick, with the spikes?  That should be easy to remember."  Freyd grinned as he spoke, offering the man a friendly nod.  "And I know what it's like to run solo.  Did that for a long time myself.  It makes you better appreciate the benefits of allies having your back when things go sideway, because things always go sideways."  A few other familiar faces popped up near the back of the crowd, drawing his attention.

"Come find me, when you're both ready to hit the wilds again, or if you need to gear up.  I haven't stretched my legs on a decent quest in a while and need to work on a new combat style.  Jomei has always been reliable, but based on what I saw in the contest, earlier, you can both hold your ground in a fight.  These contests tell far more about people than just who advanced and who didn't depending on how you look."

Freyd caught @Nisahime's eye in the distance.  A quick shake of his head signaled a negative regarding her current attendee and shift of gaze pointed towards Astreya instead.  She'd know what he meant.

"Very well said" Jomei echoed Morningstar's comment towards Freyd's poetic opinion on the tournament. "Having these events where everyone can get together is always great.. its just nice that its not tied to some boss we have to fight, or one whipped up by the game itself. It feels.. just more natural and enjoyable, being put together by a friend." 

"Perhaps sometime after the tournament." Jomei said with a nod, "I've been slowly working back up to getting out there and finishing up some quests on my list. Can't let myself fall too behind you guys." He added with a hooked smile. 

Griswold gave Freyd's weapon a curious stare, how the hell did it end up as gloves? Man, this game was a strange place. Before he can even question it however, Freyd gracefully redirects the man's attention to the blonde woman that was in the ring not but a moment or so ago. "Uh." The sudden introduction catches him off guard, and he finds himself as a deer in headlights. The wheels were spinning, yet the cuckoo wasn't out of the clock. Looking back and forth for a second, he sets down a bowl of ramen #14. "Hi, good fight. You really gave it to that other girl. Both of you can take a pounding." The sudden realization, he shifts and starts to backpedal, "What I mean is..." ABANDON SHIP.

"I'm Griswold." The most awkward introduction to date, this was an old man in a mingling of children. It had only been a decade since he'd last been at a party. A lot of talking and conversation that to him was extremely dated. What ensues is obtuse silence as Griswold flushed red, extending a handshake and him trying to eat his other foot.

@Lessa @Freyd

"The heavy ball thingy on a stick" made him chuckle. He'd been thinking more of the biblical figure, which he thought fit with his last name, but whatever worked. It was nice to hear the thoughts of another player who'd been in his shoes. It gave him perspective.

"I'll be sure to take you up on your offer as well," Star returned to Freyd, "I've got a million quests to do and I could use the extra hand."

Morningstar memorized the pairs names and faces. He had a feeling he'd see them again in the near future. Maybe he'd even stop by the next boss fight. He glanced around the dojo, fiddling with his training sword.

"I think it's time I started preparing for my next match. Nice meeting you both," he smiled, raising his hand to wave lazily.

He turned from the two, a new determination—or perhaps, a dormant resolve that had finally awakened—set ablaze within him.

Oji had been watching this entire tournament with both awe, intrigue, but also downright confusion. As a man who had taken to the crafting side of this game, he had never entirely understood how the fighting mechanics worked. Whenever someone had tried to show him, it was a bit hard to do since he was without a weapon, and also without a weapon skill. But, how this tournament went was even stranger than what he had seen in the few bits and pieces of combat that he had watched.

"So they... Aren't using the sword tricks?" he muttered to himself from the stands, a bottle of sake and a small saucer next to him. He had gone through half the bottle himself, and had just enjoyed the festivities. He saw a few people that he recognized, but he decided that today would just be a day for him, and not try to intervene in their affairs. Besides, he really didn't know what he would talk about if any of them decided to come his way.