[F1 - SP] Gathering, Gathering...Gathering? | <<Earning a Living: Forager>>

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth| Lv. 6 | HP: 120/120 | EN: 30/30 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0

Wølf Fang Blade, Plate Armour, Lanreth's Defender

Having gained her profession as a blacksmith, Nari knew that one of her biggest requirements would be maintaining her access to the materials required to create…everything. Something that she would constantly need to either buy – which of course would be costly – or…well, find. Finding would be more profitable – another thing she needed to keep in mind. It was for this reason, that she found herself so interested when she heard there was a quest specifically designed to assist one become better at finding things.

She had spent some time listening to other players talking about it, and had thankfully found out that a campsite outside of the walls was the start point for the quest – specifically the woman who was to be found there. With this information, Nari had left behind the Town of Beginnings, heading off into the plains beyond in search of this supposed campsite.

She had spent the morning traversing the areas around the town itself, moving from hillock to hillock, purposefully avoiding the many boars and wolfpacks that roamed the fields. She knew that they were little threat to her at this point, but wanted to focus instead on the task at hand – completing this quest that would provide her access to an easy source of income.

‘Easy. Maybe not the best word to describe it. Still a lot of work, especially seeing as you need to be able to drag in customers.’ She shooed the voice from her mind, reminding herself that a business wasn’t successful overnight – and it had basically been overnight since she had first opened the shop. Technically, it’s not open yet. It’s pending its official opening. But first, I need items to sell, and for that, I need materials…so here we are.’

Nari took a moment to glance about the area, gazing for anything that could possibly be considered a campsite. A collection of trees on a hillock in the distance caught her attention – she had heard a few people mention that hillocks were generally a key piece of finding this quest’s start, the NPC liking to rest on or at the bottom of them, supposedly. Each and every person she had overheard had admitted that the first frustration with this quest was just finding it.

Sighing at her luck, she headed down from the hillock she was on currently, striding through the grasses once more. At least she was getting her exercise in randomly running around this floor. ‘Yeah, think positive. Good thing weight gain and loss isn’t a thing in this game…’

Spoiler

Word Count: 423

Nari’s legs were beginning to burn from all the walking when she noticed something odd about this specific hillock. At it’s base, parked beside a tree trunk, was a small wagon. Small, being a very kind word here – she assumed that she could likely stand within it. Approaching the wagon cautiously, she was unsurprised when the back door suddenly swung open. From within a woman dressed all in green, with long blonde hair stepped out.

"So, it appears you've found me," she comments, though not unkindly. "I tend to move around quite a lot, but someone always finds me. I suppose you are looking for some herbs?"

Nari eyes the woman for a moment, noticing that she seems to pause and smile, as if waiting for a response. Nodding inwardly to her, she responds slowly to the woman. “Well, I don’t need herbs, but if you know where I can find…or rather, can teach me to find materials in the wildlands, I would appreciate it…”

The woman seems to smile wider, and jumps into a monologue in response to Nari’s commentary – as if the words Nari had spoken had somehow brought this woman to life. Nari shook her head at the oddness of it, but remembered that there was only so much that a computer-generated response could do.

"Most simply expect me to forage their materials for them, but few truly care about the process itself. You surprise me." Digging into the pocket of her dress, the woman draws out a small compass, holding it out in offer to Nari. "You may borrow my compass. Dark magic has made it capable of locating an incredibly rare item called a Demonic Shard. Should you find one, and bring it back to me, you will prove yourself worthy of my teachings. Take care, and may good fortune travel with you."

Nari reaches out to take the compass, before noticing the quest notice hovering beside her. As casually as she can, she redirects her hand and hits the accept button hovering on the dialogue box. Instantly the box disappears, but the woman remains with her hand outstretched, the compass still proffered.

After a moment, realising it won’t magically appear in her own hands, Nari steps forward and accepts the offered compass, taking it gingerly from the woman. As soon as she does so, the NPC turns and makes her way back into the wagon she had exited from.

‘Right…so, I guess no further directions…’

Spoiler

Word Count: 411

Staring between the compass in her hand, and the wagon that the NPC disappeared into, Nari wondered for a moment what exactly she was supposed to do. The NPC hadn’t given much guidance other than using the compass to search for some…demonic shard?

‘I guess this isn’t just about finding materials? But…what is a demonic shard? Maybe some special material for making stronger weapons? Guess I’ll find out…’

Shrugging internally to herself, she decided that standing around thinking about finding things wouldn’t help her in the least here. Turning away from the small campsite, she took a look at the compass in her hand, deciding that the best thing would be to begin by heading back into the fields. She wasn’t likely to find anything around here, based on how these quests usually went.

Glancing around, she spotted an open area back along the way she had come – one that stood a slight bit higher than the surrounding area. It would provide her with a small view over the lands, so that she could remain undisturbed by any surprise encounters – perfect for getting her bearings so that she could truly get to work.

‘Right. High ground, always good. Although…’ She paused for a moment as she stared at the compass again. The arrow seemed to point back the way she had come, or so it seemed to Nari. Tucking away the compass, she decided that she would head for the small knoll – if it could even be called that – before truly getting started.

Set yourself before you strike.’ Although it was more directly related to martial arts, the saying had always provided guidance to Nari – reminding her that you couldn’t just launch into something and expect results immediately. Sometimes it was the footwork that was required, before the success.

Spoiler

Word Count: 299

Crossing the field made her legs burn again, but at least she didn’t run into any dangers as she made her way to the knoll. The rise above everything else wasn’t as impactful as Nari had expected it to be, but at least she could see anything attempting to sneak up on her – at least, she thought she’d be able to. Pausing in thought, she let her eyes roam around the openness that surrounded her.

‘I’m sure you’re fine…’ The voice in her head tried to convince her, but Nari didn’t feel as reassured as she hoped she would. Deciding the best she could do would simply be to react if something did appear, she pulled out the compass, watching as the arrow seemed to spin slightly, pointing in a direction to her left.

‘Well, this seems…easy enough. Just follow the arrow and find the shard. Shouldn’t be too hard.’ Holding the compass out in front of her so that she could watch for any movement in the arrow as she cross the field, Nari set off in the direction it pointed, hoping to make quick work of this quest – and maybe spend some time collecting some other materials along the way.

ID: 203258 | LD: 20 | CD: 6 | Material Search | Success! (Demonic Shard Found)

Spoiler

Word Count: 202

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

Nari followed the compass for a while, adjusting her direction as the arrow seemed to shift slightly. Eventually, she found herself looking at a spot on the open fields that had the compass spinning every time she took a step. Deciding that this was likely the position, she began pulling aside the grasses and searching the few holes in the ground she could find.

It wasn’t long before she found what appeared to be a small gem like material, the inside a dark blood red colour, while the exterior of the gem seemed an almost translucent blueish-purple colour. The shifting colours transfixed Nari’s gaze for a time, and she had to shake herself to break the effect it had on her.

Tucking the gem away, she decided that she had more than enough spare time to spend searching for anything she could use to further her main profession – which, of course, was why she was here. Making sure the compass and shard were safely stored away, she turned back to the field, combing through the area in search of anything else worthwhile.

ID: 203259 | LD: 7 | Material Search | Failure

Spoiler

Word Count: 182

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

It didn’t come as much of a surprise that nothing else of value was found within the area that she had found the shard. Nari knew enough about games and random drops to know that it was likely futile to search in the same area for more than one drop.

Taking a moment to ensure the surrounding area was still clear of any major threats, Nari searched for an area that would likely prove more successful than her current spot. Nothing really stood out to her as she glanced around, and with no real concept of what was considered a good drop point in a game like this, she decided to do what any natural gamer would do – head for a random spot and try her luck.

Spinning to her left slightly, she started walking, glancing around as she went for anything that glittered or stood out against the grass fields beneath her feet.

ID: 203260 | LD: 16 | Material Search | Success (1 material)

Spoiler

Word Count: 154

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

‘Ha! I knew it, new area, new success.’ Nari smiled to herself as she bent down and collected the shiny clump that was labelled as a material. ‘I can keep this up all day!’

Looking around, she saw the open fields stretching in each and every direction as far as her vision could see, eventually curving up to the walls of the first floor. If there was one thing she was sure of, there was more than enough space her to spend her days searching for what she needed in order to continue her crafting. The thought of it brought a smile to her face again, the imaging of the hammer rising and falling, the shifting of the glowing materials into a creation – something that she brought into the word – bringing her a feeling of happiness.

‘Right, well, let’s get started, shall we?’ Standing again, she continued walking along the path she had begun, a slightly off key humming sound escaping her lips.

ID: 203261 | LD: 10 | Material Search | Failure

Spoiler

Word Count: 163

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

The path she followed eventually led to another small knoll, and Nari found herself having to circumvent a few wild boars as she made her way through the grasses. Their presence distracted her from being able to properly keep an eye out for the materials she needed, much to ire. She knew there was truly nothing to be done about it – this was part of the game, after all. But it still annoyed her to have the distractions.

She wondered for a moment if it was worth fighting some of the boars – they had been a good provision of materials, albeit it did require some more effort than simply wandering the fields with an eye out. ‘Maybe if I get tired of just foraging. But for now, let’s try and keep the day a bit calmer…options always there, after all.’

Taking one final glance at the boars nearby, Nari returned to her search, casually casting her eyes across the ground, all while keeping dangers in the corner of her vision – just in case they should get too close to her for comfort.

ID: 203262 | LD: 13 | Material Search | Failure

Spoiler

Word Count: 182

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

Although she wasn’t having immediate success, Nari had to admit that just being out in the sunlight was rather refreshing. No immediate requests for help, no time limits, no drive to get things done. Just…walking, and searching. It was a break from everything, and it reminded her that sometimes that’s what she needed – even in a death game like this. Getting away wasn’t a bad thing.

She hummed as she continued to walk along, casually casting a glance here, or there, to see if anything caught her attention. Normally, she knew, the lack of success she was having would grind away at her patience – bringing out her frustration and fury – but here, now, there was no need to rush. There were no deadlines to meet, nothing to call her away from this. It was…oddly enjoyable.

Continuing her offkey humming, she pressed onwards, happy just to spend some time away from everything – and more importantly, everyone.

ID: 203268 | LD: 10 | Material Search | Failure

Spoiler

Word Count: 155

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

Glancing up at the sky, Nari noticed that the sun seemed to have shifted in the sky – either a mirage against her eyes, or a sign that some time had passed. She looked around, noticing that she had traversed a good portion of the floor while searching for anything of value. So far, aside from the one piece she had found, there had been no success. She wondered if it was worthwhile to keep going, before remembering that she quite literally had nothing else to do. Her entire day could be spent on looking for valuable materials – she didn’t need to log off and go to work (well, she couldn’t even if she wanted to), and she didn’t need to meet any sort of quest requirements or time limits.

‘This is a freedom I’m not used to. It’s…nice. Maybe I should try doing this more often? Just escaping from it all…’ A pang of regret hit her as she realised she was getting too comfortable with this. ‘No…no, I can’t let this become normal. Otherwise I’ll never escape this place. I still need to push on, to fight against it all. This is just…a nice break. It’s not over yet though.’

Turning slightly to her left again, she began walking along the grasses again, forcing herself back into her search. She would take the time now, enjoying the solace, but still looking to be productive – even if it was only to gather some items for use later.

ID: 203270 | LD: 11 | Material Search | Failure

Spoiler

Word Count: 247

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

As she made her way slowly back towards the original knoll she had started on, Nari wondered what the frontline fighters were doing at this moment. She had to admit, the idea of fighting on the frontlines appealed to her – not because she wished to become known among them, but simply because it would give her a chance to fight for her own freedom from this place. Although it had its appeals – such as just being able to spend a day foraging, she knew that she couldn’t stay here forever.

‘And that means we need to defeat the floors to escape. Which…I should make a priority, as quickly as possible. I should be up there, fighting alongside everyone else.’ Nari glanced down at the blade on her hip. She felt a pang of regret as she realised that she had wasted so much time already. She knew that she was a capable fighter, yet she had hidden herself away from the frontlines for too long. ‘Once I’m done here, I’m going to make sure that my focus is getting there to assist everyone else. It’s where I should be.’

Letting her right hand fall onto the pommel of her sword, she turned back to her searching, determined to get this done as quickly as possible – she didn’t want to return nearly empty handed, after all.

ID: 203271 | LD: 7 | Material Search | Failure

Spoiler

Word Count: 225

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

Nari gave the dirt a slight kick in annoyance. She hadn’t found anything in the last hour of searching, and was starting to wonder if she was doing something wrong. She glared at the area she had kicked, as if willing it to defy her anger.

‘Stupid game. Stupid drop rates. Or find rates. Whatever! Stupid everything.’ A few curses slipped past her lips, sounding loud against the otherwise quiet air. She kicked the dirt once more, hoping it would make her feel better – and getting more annoyed when it didn’t.

Realising that this was getting her nowhere, she made a promise to herself – she would search two, maybe three more areas before she let her sword fly. Glaring at the nearest boar, she imagined striking it down. ‘You better hope I find something, otherwise you’re not going to like me.’

Content with her promise to herself, Nari forced her eyes back to the ground, searching for something, anything that would stop her from getting into a stupid situation.

ID: 203279 | LD: 18 | Material Search | Success (1 material)

Spoiler

Word Count: 169

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

‘Alright, now it’s just mocking me.’ Nari stared at the glowing bar in her hand, sighing at the irony of it all. If one could call it irony. She gave the dirt another kick, this time in what she hoped was good humour, and not anger, before looking for a new spot to search through.

She was still considering attacking one of the boars if this didn’t quickly progress in the positive manner for her, but for now she was content to do some rock turning and dirt digging – if only because it was easier, and she wanted a break from tenuous work. She had had enough pain and suffering from that quest with the damned boulder, and figured it would be good to give her muscles at least something of a break.

‘But that all depends on how the next few minutes goes, doesn’t it? I would feel good to do some beating with this…’ Her right hand will bump against the hilt of her sheathed blade, reminding her that it was still there. ‘Let’s get back to work…’

ID: 203305 | LD: 2 | Material Search | Failure

Spoiler

Word Count: 180

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

‘Yup, that’s about right.’ Nari thought as she pawed through the area, finding absolutely nothing beyond a few rocks and a lot of grass and dirt. It was turning into a real game of look-and-find-nothing, or so it was seeming to her. She straightened up from the spot she had just been searching through, fighting back the urge to simply unsheathe her sword and rush the closest thing that even looked remotely attack-worthy.

‘Calm, is the warrior’s heart should they wish to be victorious.’ The words ran through Nari’s head – a saying her Sempai had told her many years ago, back when she first started Aikido. At the time, she wondered how a warrior could be calm, but recently – especially since this death game – it had all begun to make sense to her. She began to understand that calmness, control, were the keys to victory – not because there was no fear, but because the fear was not controlling you.

Shaking the growing anger back, at least for the time, Nari returned to her task of searching. It might be futile, but at least it was keeping her busy. ‘And it’s not like it’s killing me, or really hurting anything other than my patience. Unlike that damned boulder.’

She flexed her left hand, as the memory of the pain in her palm returned. She had felt so much annoyance at that damned boulder, but she had made it through the quest, eventually. And she would do so here, too. Nodding to herself, she returned once more to her search, hoping that the system would have some pity on her and provide something.

ID: 203306 | LD: 11 | Material Search | Failure

Spoiler

Word Count: 271

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

Her positive attitude clearly wasn’t making Cardinal feel any sympathy towards her. Her most recent spot turned out to be another dud, and she wondered what she needed to do to have some damned success with this. She never would have thought that searching for basic materials would be this hard – or this testing. She knew that games didn’t make it easy, but this…this was getting to be a bit absurd.

Nari considered for a moment simply giving up and returning to the woman at the wagon and calling it a day – before tossing the idea aside. She had no intent of quitting – either here, or on the field of battle, and what was this if not a battle against the system itself. Her will, versus its unwillingness to provide her what she required. And she was determined to win.

‘I don’t care if I’m here until the sun falls and darkness takes over the land. I’m finding something.’ Her determination renewed – and a fire of anger focused entirely on the game itself, Nari returned to her repetitive search. Somehow, somewhere, she would find what she needed to ensure her success. And she was not giving up until she was satisfied that she had denied Cardinal its victory over her.

ID: 203307 | LD: 13 | Material Search | Failure

Spoiler

Word Count: 210

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

“Alright, that’s it.” Nari hadn’t realised she spoke aloud as she drew her sword and eyed up the closest boar. Making sure that it was far away from anything else that could be pulled in the direction of what she was about to do, she crossed the field, sword and shield readied.

‘If you won’t give up your valuables easily, then I’ll force it from you.’ The venom in her mind’s voice startled Nari as she realised that her anger was taking control, but she was already engaged with the creature as she came to the realisation that this may not have been the best option.

She paused as she considered what she was doing – saved only by her quick reactions as the boar lunged forward. Bringing her shield up in front of her, Nari levelled her sword along the top of shield, the flat of the blade laying against it to stabilise herself and ensure that her aim was as true as it could be.

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth| Lv. 6 | HP: 120/120 | EN: 30/30 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0

Boar | HP 12/12 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 0

Round One

ID203308 | BD: 4 | MD: 3 | <<Basic Attack vs. Boar>>

• The strike misses! (-2 EN)
  • The boar misses!

Nari-Lanreth| Lv. 6 | HP: 120/120 | EN: 28/30 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0

Spoiler

Word Count: 166

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

Nari twirled to the side as the boar rushed her – the creature heading straight in with a charge faster than Nari had expected. This was completely unlike her last fight – and she wondered for a brief second if the punching of the boulder had dulled her to what combat was truly meant so be.

Not ready to think about it too much yet, she completed her twirl, bringing herself around to face the boar. Launching herself forward, she drew her blade down and back, preparing to bring it slashing upwards towards the creature’s soft belly, hoping that it would cause a decent amount of damage.

‘Don’t let me down now, Wølf Fang. Wet yourself with the blood of your target, drink deeply and know the power that you can be, when wielded in my hands.’ Nari let her shield drop slightly to counter balance her under swing, hoping that it would catch the creature by surprise and give her a strong advantage.

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth| Lv. 6 | HP: 120/120 | EN: 28/30 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0

Round Two

ID203309 | BD: 6 | MD: 8 | <<Basic Attack vs. Boar>>

• The strike hits!
    • | 7 DMG
  • The boar hits!
    • | 4 - 18 = 1 DMG

Nari-Lanreth| Lv. 6 | HP: 119/120 | EN: 27/30 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0

Boar | HP 5/12 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 0

Spoiler

Word Count: 162

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

The under swing proved successful – but also proved the boar with an opening to strike against her, the tusk of the animal slicing across her face as it sailed by. Nari barely even registered the creature’s counter attack as it passed by her.

Spinning around, she brought herself back to her feet, stepping forward towards the boar once more in an attempt to bring this fight to a quick close. It was far different from her first engagement – she could already see it severely injured. It had taken her far longer before to cause this much damage, which one showed how she had already progressed so far from where she was.

Smiling to herself, she launched forward once more, bringing her blade perpendicular to the found, the point held towards the boar as she pushed the weapon straight for its neck, hoping to catch it in its weak spot. Her shield held close to her body, she prepared herself to block the lunge that she knew it would take towards her.

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth| Lv. 6 | HP: 119/120 | EN: 28/30 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0

Round Three

ID203310 | BD: 6 + 2 = 8 | MD: 8 | <<Basic Attack vs. Boar>>

• The strike hits!
    • | 7 DMG
  • The boar is defeated!

Nari-Lanreth| Lv. 6 | HP: 119/120 | EN: 27/30 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0

Boar | HP 0/12 | DMG: 4 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | MIT: 0

Spoiler

Word Count: 171

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

Nari was happily surprised as the boar exploded into a collection of pieces before her. Although she hadn’t gained any useful materials for her blacksmithing, the experience itself had been quite enjoyable. She glanced around, spotting another boar nearby, and deciding it couldn’t hurt, she rushed across the field to meet it. The urge to swing her sword and watch her target explode in finality had caught up with her, and now there was nothing to stop her from engaging in a bit of battle – it was far better than just pulling aside rocks, anyways.

As she came closer to the boar, she slowed her run just enough to provide her aim a bit more control. Drawing the sword back behind her, she twisted her body as she came close enough to strike, forcing the blade up and around in a wide arc towards the boar, hoping to get a quick, hard hit in before it could react to her sudden attack. ‘This is almost too easy now…’

Spoiler

Round One

ID203312 | BD: 2 | MD: 3 | <<Basic Attack vs. Boar>>

• The strike misses! (-2 EN)
  • The boar misses!

Nari-Lanreth| Lv. 6 | HP: 120/120 | EN: 26/30 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0

Spoiler

Word Count: 168

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results

Her approach seemed to alert the creature, and although she attempted to adjust at the last second, the boar managed to jump to the side as her blade swung up and towards it – causing Nari to overstep and miss her attack. In an attempt to retaliate, the boar shoved its head forwards and towards Nari, clattering off her shield as it struck her defences to no avail.

Collecting herself, Nari stepped back to give herself a moment to reset. Realising that she couldn’t just rush in and hope for quick success, she decided to take this more carefully, holding her shield in a guard position before her, and drawing her blade into its typical strike position along the shield’s top edge. Once she was sure she was calm and collected, Nari rushed forward, letting the blade pull off the shield’s top towards her left, swinging the blade down towards the ground and back up towards the beast, hoping the extra momentum would help her strike.

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth| Lv. 6 | HP: 120/120 | EN: 26/30 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0

Round Two

ID203313 | BD: 6 | MD: 7 | <<Basic Attack vs. Boar>>

• The strike hits!
    • | 7 DMG | Keen (+2 to BD)
  • The boar hits!
    • | 4 - 18 = 1 DMG

Nari-Lanreth| Lv. 6 | HP: 119/120 | EN: 25/30 | DMG: 7 | MIT: 18 | ACC: 0 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0

Spoiler

Word Count: 165

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
Dice Roll Results