[F27 – PP] Dinner in the Dark

Nari checked the time again – she had messaged NIGHT and told her to come to Floor Twenty-Seven at exactly six o’clock. That left her just over thirty minutes to make her way to the teleporter pad. It was more than enough time, and yet…Nari felt anxious, as if she was running late. Gathering up Yuki, she left the shop, closing and locking the door behind her as she went. She checked herself again, the armour and shield gone and the violet dress in its place. She had spent the entire morning going through her wardrobe trying to find something that would best fit her for this encounter. She had settled on the shorter dress, slightly more revealing than she normally wore, but also…well, she hoped better fitting for the occasion.

In her hair she had placed a single violet coloured bow, tying back her normally free hair – making her feel more revealed somehow without the normal cover across her head. Her sword was still belted at her hip, however – something she felt she would never go without.

Making her way through the city streets, she kept her eyes forward – ignoring the few stares of those around her as she went, trying desperately to keep her face from flushing in embarrassment – and failing horribly. She felt her feet pick up as she tried her hardest to get away from the few stares that followed her – likely causing more of a scene than she meant to as she rushed towards the main square of the city.

As she broke away from the main streets and entered the courtyard, she felt a rush of relief, sighing aloud as she made her way into the main park. Something about the open area made her feel more released, as if she was no longer contained by those around. Although some people still stared, Nari felt it easier to ignore them in the square, focusing her attention on the teleporter pad and waiting for NIGHT to arrive.

‘I…can’t believe this is happening. I must be…crazy. Can this be…real?’ Nari felt her ears redden on their tips, a slight burning sensation to them. She shook her head, attempting to clear her mind and ready herself for what was coming.

Nari's Outfit

Nari's Outfit

Nari's Statblock

Spoiler

Nari-Lanreth| Lv. 22 | HP: 440/440 | EN: 62/62 | DMG: 8 | MIT: 115 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 0 | LD: 0 |

| STH: -2 | THORNS [9 DMG]

Tier 2 Level

Equipped Items

Dark Fox Blade [Tier 2; One-Handed Straight Sword; Perfect] A longer hand-and-a-half sword, the blade itself contains a black centre, the edges a soft violet colour. Above the violet hilt stands the curled white fox emblem, standing stark against the dark colour of the blade itself. The hilt contains a combination leather wrapping of violet and teal colouring.
| Enhancement: Accuracy [3 Slots] | Effect: Gain +(1 per slot) to the BD when attacking. Cannot be used to cause a critical hit.

Dark Fox Protector [Tier 2; Heavy/Plate Armour] Glittering with a hint of ice blue colour, this plate armour has a near-frozen appearance to it, as if ice rests on its surface at all times. Along its edge lines are a shifting ice blue and dark purple colouring, seemingly drifting in and out between the two colours with no clear path.

| Mitigation [3 Slots] | Effect:  Prevent (6 per slot * Tier) damage from successful attacks against you.

Lanreth's Defender [Tier 1; Heater Shield] Black outline with a dark purple interior, red howling wolf painted in the centre.

| Enhancement: Thorns [1 Slot] | Effect: Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (9 * Tier) unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy. Only activates on damage dealing, melee attacks.

Battle-Ready Inventory

Teleport Crystal (3)
Arrowhead Brooch | Tier 1 Perfect Trinket | Accuracy III
Music Box | Tier 1 Perfect Trinket | LD III

Weapon Skills

Straight Sword Skill
Rank 5
Passive
Effect: +7 DMG

Sword Arts

[x12] ST-I (12 EN) | A single-target sword art.
[x15] ST-II (15 EN) | A powerful single-target sword art. Only available for use when ST-I was used and successfully struck an enemy the previous turn or if ST-II had been used and had missed the previous turn.
[x20] ST-B (20 EN) | A devastating single-target sword art. Can only be used if the sword art used the previous turn is not ST-B and had rolled a natural CD9+. When performing an AoE attack, use only the first roll.
[x11] AOE-I (11 + 2 * targets EN) | AOE | A sword art that strikes multiple targets at once.
[x14] AOE-II (14 + 2 * targets EN) | AOE | A powerful sword art that strikes multiple targets at once. Only available for use when AOE-I was used and successfully struck an enemy the previous turn or if AOE-II had been used and had missed the previous turn.
[x12] TECH-A (13 EN) | STUN | A single-target sword art that stuns an enemy.
[x12] TECH-B (12 EN) | DELAY | A single-target sword art that, on a successful strike, applies [Delay] on the enemy. [Delay] is a status condition that reduces the enemy’s ACC by 1 for one turn.

[x3RAW-A (10 EN) | THORNS | A single-target sword art that utilizes the [Thorns] of the individual against the enemy. Other types of enhancements that apply damage upon contact with the individual are also considered in improving the damage of this sword art (eg. Immolation Potion, Flame/Frost Aura, etc). Outgoing damage is considered mitigatable.  Must have a weapon equipped to activate this sword art.

• Unlock Condition: Have the skill [Heavy Armor].

Armour Skills

Heavy Armor
Rank 4
Passive
Effect: MIT + 25. You can only benefit from one armour skill at a time (the respective armour type must be equipped). Your evasion is capped at 1 enhancement slot and you take -1 to Stealth Rating per rank.

Extra Skills

Parry
Active: Post action
Energy cost: 9 EN
Cooldown: 3 Turns
Effect: Apply the energy cost upon proc, not activation. Reduces the final damage of the next successful attack against you by 50% (rounded down) and negates stun/paralysis effects of that attack. If hit by multiple attacks, only apply parry to the first attack against you. Parry lasts for three turns. Cooldown starts when the player activates the Skill. If the player is hit when using Parry, the cooldown is reset to 3 turns.
[Parry Mod] Vengeful Riposte
Cost: 6 SP
Passive
Cooldown: 4 Turns
Effect: A successful Parry also returns 50% (rounded down) of the raw damage that would be dealt to you back to your opponent. The reflected damage can be mitigated by the opponent.

Block [Requires two Extra Skill slots]
5 Ranks
Passive
Effect: Requires an equipped shield. User’s evasion cannot be greater than 0 (can still be negative). Grants additional mitigation:

Rank 2: 8 MIT

Combat Mastery

Combat Mastery: Mitigation
Rank 3

Passive
Effect: Gain +36 Mitigation. 

Spoiler

Word Count: 372

Edited by Nari-Lanreth
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When NIGHT heard about getting something together to talk over a meal, she'd totally expected something casual. Instead, given a time (evening?) and somehow a location on a high-ranking floor, to say that the intention was that was... optimistic, to say the least.

Incidentally, that was also the outcome she'd expected to see by giving Nari the benefit of the doubt. And all the researches up in Ronbaru would not have given her less notice, knowing from past experience after trekking along the floor in her tracksuit. She thought she could feel eyes on her, specifically, her eyes paired with a mischievous smile, watching her every move. Yet searching nor tracking would give the entity's position away.

So that was the scenario. Dinner with someone else she'd just met. If Ronbaru had any small time cafes, NIGHT wouldn't have known -- her time on the floor amounted to adventuring more so than its lifestyle. And when finally showed up at the delegated hour, the white fading from her gaze, she'd expected to find her companion in less-than-formal clothes.

This was not the case.

And suddenly NIGHT was feeling rather underdressed.

Did... did she not get the memo right?

Stepping down from the teleporter, she pretended not to see her associate, turning away as though her attention was stolen for a moment. Nari looked good, NIGHT would give her that, but knowing she wasn't going to match was just a somber thought. With a tug of her zipper, she pulled off her own track suit and wrapped it around her waist, leaving but a plain black shirt on -- she'd stand out less this way, the woman imagined, finally pivoting her walk out of the player hotspot.

For some reason, she couldn't meet the other woman's gaze. For some reason, she'd thought her first impression already let Nari down.

NIGHT stopped a few feet away from the woman, hands stuffed in her pockets, now that they had nowhere else to go. "Hey," she returned, trying to keep casual. "So, do you have a location in mind? I didn't expect you to pick Ronbaru, out of all places -- we just opened it not too long ago, I suppose."

b3ue0Fx.png | NIGHT
 | Lv. 107 >> P. 75, Lv. 32
 | Status: //

Notes:
 //

Spoiler

NIGHT | HP: 940/940 | EN: 132/132 | DMG: 21 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | MIT: 44 | LM: 2 | HLY: 8 | PHASE | LD: 5 | BH: 38 | Stealth Rating: 6

equipped

• Orgoth's Legacy
    ACC, PHASE, HOLY (8)
  • Tracksuit of Unfathomable Fashionability
    MIT (24), LM II
  • Silver Crescent Necklace
    ACC II, EVA II

battle-ready inventory

• //

skills

Spoiler

mod count: 5/5

• 2HSS | RANK 5/5
    • focus, stamina, precision
    • shift: aoe
  • CLOTH ARMOR | RANK 5/5
    • athletics, nimble
  • COMBAT MASTERY: DMG | RANK 3/3
  • SEARCHING | RANK 4+1/5
  • BATTLE HEALING | RANK 5/5
  • EXTENDED MOD LIMIT
  • ENERGIST
  • FAMILIAR: PROFESSION
  • QUICK CHANGE

extra

1. SURVIVAL
  2. CONCENTRATION
  3. HIDING
    • blindside, untraceable, vanish, surprise attack-t

buffs

Spoiler

statue

• BIALAS | +TAUNT
  • MOTHRA | +1 EN Recovery
  • TANOS | +25 MIT
  • MORETSUNA | +50 HP
  • OROCHI | +1 LD
  • KUMATETSU | +1 DMG

consumables

1. - - -
  2. - - -

paragon

• Lv. 5 | Gain additional col equivalent to 15% of EXP earned in that thread.
  • Lv. 10 | +1 LD to looting.

sword arts

Spoiler

en cost matches multiplier unless stated otherwise. shift underlined.

• ST | x12 -> x15 | x20
  • AOE | x15 -> x18
  • TECH-A | x12 | STUN | 13EN
  • TECH-B | x12 | DELAY
  • TECH-D | x12 | SHATTER
  • TECH-G | x12 | BURN

misc.

Spoiler

housing

• Dimensional Backpack, Item Stash
    | +2 Battle-Ready Inventory Slots.
  • Well Rested
    | -1 EN for the first three expenditures of each combat. 
  • Relaxed
    | +(5 * Tier) HP per out-of-combat post. Full energy restoration occurs after two turns out of combat.
  • Squeaky Clean
    | -25% DoT damage taken from the first DoT applied to this player in a thread.
  • Skylight: Searching
    | +1 Expertise to declared utility skill. Cooldown of 30 days to reassign.
  • Multipurpose
    | +1 LD/Prosperity/Stealth/Detection to one post per thread. Can be applied after a roll.
  • Filling
    | +1 T1 slot to a food consumed by this player in a thread. Can exceed Cook enhancement caps.
  • Col Deposit
    | +5% col from loot-minimum mobs, +10% col from treasure chests.

gathering

• Greenhouse
    | +2 G.EXP, +1 CD&LD to gathering attempts.
  • Familiar: Profession
    | +2 G.EXP
  • Demeter's Cornucopia
    | +1 CD to gathering attempts. 

Nari smiled slightly at NIGHT – trying hard to hide her embarrassment. NIGHT had shown up casually dressed, and suddenly Nari felt slightly overdressed. She wondered if she had overthought this whole thing – maybe…well, it was too late now. Running her hands over the front of her dress in a nervous way, she let the words roll out and off her tongue, trying hard to keep her face from lighting up in a similar way to the lights on the poles around the square.

“I…uhm….I actually live up here…I bought a house and store and everything…” She thought of the estate she owned, and suddenly she had a new reason to be embarrassed. She had originally thought of bringing NIGHT back to visit the place she had bought, but suddenly had second thoughts about all of that. “I…well, I recently moved up here – I don’t know the whole city in and out yet…I spend a lot of my time in the forge or…well, out. But! I know of a decent little place that serves a collection of different foods, even some…I guess they’d be foreign foods…but like hamburgers and soups and noodle bowls and a whole bunch of different things! It’s…well, it’s not like some of the things some people can make, but it’s…”

She realised she had been rambling and felt her right hand slap her mouth in an attempt to stop herself. Mouth still covered, Nari reached out with her left and began dragging NIGHT down the road, her face flushed a bright red as she kept her eyes straight ahead, trying not to say anything else foolish.

Spoiler

Word Count: 269

To know some player would quickly move in to a new floor after their hard work was more than enough of a compliment for the woman. For starters, she hadn't expected anyone to have paid their floor progression a mind, let alone find a place unlocked that was far lovelier than the others they'd visited to consider it a home. NIGHT nodded, tucking a lock behind her ear -- she wasn't one to speak much in the first place, and being allowed to listen and comprehend was welcome, almost more her pace even.

"But! I know of a decent little place that serves a collection of different foods, even some…I guess they’d be foreign foods…but like hamburgers and soups and noodle bowls and a whole bunch of different things!"

(Wait, hamburgers and soups were foreign?)

"It’s…well, it’s not like some of the things some people can make, but it’s…”

There was a tie between two feelings, there. One to stop and turn around and laugh, because there was something so liberating about knowing the other was wrestling with her nerves. By foreign, she'd expected something exotic to be mentioned by the woman; European cuisine, perhaps, or something more esoteric, especially with the occasion for formal dress.

The second? She let herself be dragged away by Nari once the player had stopped herself, covering her mouth with a hand and avoiding eye contact. Even from behind, pulled along without resistance, she could read the flush engulfing the woman.

That was fine, because she felt herself under the same spell. A ramble that was -- and nothing made sense of it -- but it was cute. And she would understand what Nari had referred to when they got to their location, so she followed along without objection, only stifled giggling.

"I can walk, you know," NIGHT whispered under her breath, a small corner of her lip tugged upwards.

“I can walk, you know.” Nari spun at the words, her mouth still covered by her right hand, but her left snapping back against her chest as her eyes went wide. From behind her hand a muffled sound, as she spoke aloud.

Oh my gods – I’m…I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean – I just…I’m sorry!” She paused, taking in a deep breath, before pulling her hand away from her face and pointing down the roadway they had been going – well, that Nari had been dragging them down. “It’s just down here a little ways, about a block from-“

Nari stopped speaking, suddenly fidgeting with the edge of her dress. She wondered if she had time to rush and change…but no, that wouldn’t be polite. Plus, it was her own fault. Now she had to deal with it. And she did like the dress…

Realising she had been silent for a few seconds, staring down at herself, Nari tried to continue as if she hadn’t just zoned out or anything. “Uhm – well, it’s just up here. A little building with a fun sign, I think it’s called…I…actually I don’t remember its name. I just know it’s up here.”

Turning and continuing her way up the road, the voice in her head teased her. ‘I don’t know the name. Great, she’s going to think you’re an idiot. Or an airhead. Or both. Well done, airhead. If only Eve could see you now…’ Her throat constricted and she felt a soft whine escape as her heart tightened. She pushed the thought aside, knowing now wasn’t the time, nor the place. She didn’t understand why it was all coming back now…

Spoiler

Word Count: 276

The woman letting go wasn't a problem. NIGHT righted herself back up and fell to Nari's side without question. Rather, the pause in her speech gave the woman concern, a tilt of her head, wondering if there had been a problem with the location. And the fumbling with the dress...

"I-It looks good on you," she mentioned, realizing it might've been the disparity noticed. Her hand snaked up her neck, NIGHT turning away, towards the path they were moving down. "Sorry. If I'd known this was what you meant, I would've come in something better fitting. A-anyway, it's just dinner. It's not like there're standards we have to abide by, I guess."

She heeded Nari's words as the player finally spoke up. NIGHT wasn't good with names, either -- it was surprising what little ticks they had in common, really. Nodding towards the road ahead, she walked alongside her companion, hands locked in her pockets. "As long as you're a fan of it."

Nari felt a shy smile appear on her face at NIGHT’s words. She glanced at the girl beside her – about to say something in return to show her appreciation of the girl’s understanding of the situation, when the face appeared once more. It was just a brief flash, but Nari knew she had seen it before her – covering NIGHT’s own face for that split second before returning to normal.

Nari’s mouth open, she felt herself stumble, the shock clearly written on her face. She managed to catch herself before she collapsed to the ground, but she couldn’t drive away that beating heart, the feeling of terror in her body. Trying to rid her mind of it, she forced herself back up and moving, slowly getting the words out, hoping that NIGHT hadn’t witnessed everything that had just occurred.

“I-I enjoy it…the restaurant. It’s…it’s a nice place. Not too many people come there – I don’t think many know…about it. It makes it more peaceful…not as crowded. Perfect for a couple – I mean friends – I mean partners – to enjoy a nice little dinner together peacefully and not be disturbed.

The final words rushed from Nari’s mouth as she tried to stop herself from the continued embarrassment. She wondered how NIGHT could remain so calm and controlled, when she was…failing. She worried that she might be, well, coming on too strong. Or coming on when she shouldn’t. Or just…well, being a disaster. She had planned out everything – from the compliments she wanted to give, to the dinner, to the outfit. And of course, her planning had all been for – ‘Oh, CRAP I left the drawing board up in the main hallway!’

Spoiler

Word Count: 278

Hesitation, NIGHT could stand. Faltering? The woman was only thankful Nari had kept her balance, though kept a hand on her wrist, tight grip, eyes open wide in fear. "Hey, careful." Though the chide was direct, the concern was intensely more so.

That hold never left even as they continued walking towards the restaurant. They'd played it off as an accident -- NIGHT hoped it so, for the only time she could remember something similar occurring to her was when she was feeling faint, having not eaten in Aincrad in moments before her journey began. And Nari sounded okay, sounded more than okay even, the way the woman was rambling.

"Perfect for a couple – I mean friends – I mean partners – to enjoy a nice little dinner together peacefully and not be disturbed.

So which one was it? NIGHT had wanted to ask but found the question missing on her lips once the statement had completed. If anything, she was only thankful Nari was stable enough to continue fumbling over her words like this. Her smile was light after a quiet laugh. "Are you trying to escape someone? Usually people don't find themselves disturbed while grabbing something outside to eat. But even I can appreciate a nice quiet hideout sometimes."

"Let's see..."

Her gaze lifted from the woman, NIGHT looking on ahead. She hummed. "I've a friend on the first who's got this tiny coffeehouse. It's mostly for keeping records, but the atmosphere is lovely. I don't think she'd ever serve food there, but it's always a brief respite when I go to visit." Then she paused in recollection, remembering her messages, the information Bistro usually sent to her after she'd left. "If it wasn't for that," the player decided, turning to look towards Nari again, "I don't think I'd keep paying her a visit for her services. She dabbles in information, you see. An alchemist. If you need some damage potions, I could introduce you some time."

Nari blinked once, then twice, then realised she needed to answer NIGHT’S enquiry. Her mouth opened, and a slight squeak escaped from her lips. ‘This is going just great. Perfect. Absolutely amazing.’

“Uhm…that would be… great. I could always use more people – I mean know more people. Cause it’ll help. With getting to the front. The frontline! I want to get to the front lines.” Turning away in embarrassment, she noticed they had arrived at the little shop. There wasn’t much to it – the sign above the grey brick shop front had an imagine of a bowl of what Nari assumed was supposed to be noodles, the black letter standing stark against the yellow sign, reading ‘One Bowl, One Plate’. It was no wonder she’d never remembered the name.

Rushing forward she held the door open for NIGHT, waving a hand to motion her inside. “Oh uhm… feel free to get whatever you like – my treat. It is only right that the person who asks you or on the da-dinner. Dinner get together. Pays.”

From her shoulder came the sound of animalistic coughing, as if the fox was laughing at everything transpiring. Nari’s left hand shot up and flicked the black nose gently, a shy smile on her face, and the mumbled words of, “Oh you shut up, as if you’d do any better.”

Spoiler

Word Count: 224

"Mm. Why did I have a feeling you'd say something like that?"

Nothing about Nari gave away that fact visually. And any player who'd stepped outside of the Town of Beginnings had every right to do so without aiming for the floor raids. Rather, NIGHT should've guessed it from how quickly the woman had taken to the latest floor. There had to be a specific trait for someone to have done so. If it wasn't for a sense of duty, like many others, then perhaps it was a distraction from an idle game, or the wonders of an ever expanding world that kept the player entertained. Something, a reason, that only living where the players of the front would be, could vitalize.

(And the demons. She didn't know how obvious it was, but those were always the most persistent sign of someone becoming a dedicated fighter.)

NIGHT's thumb and index toyed with a lock of her hair as they strode onwards. Nari may have been armored from the last time they met, but it wasn't as though she'd seen the player in combat before. DPS or not, damage potions may help everybody.

"Well, that's why you've got me."

And at the mention of the bill, NIGHT raised an eyebrow. Right, she hadn't considered how exactly Nari was capable of living so extravagantly while having just barely made it out of the gates of the starter city. "Are you sure?" She called out to her companion, shuffling forth. "It'll be less of a hit to my wallet than yours if I pay. Col's really not a big deal beyond a certain threshold."

The player hummed, before looking towards the shop's interior. It was unassuming from where she was standing, the peek into the shop. And without a menu just yet...

She turned back to Nari, stepping inside. "We should grab a seat first. Payment can be discussed later." As for their arrangement, it was decided upon after a quick survey. "How about the cushioned seats? The ones at the back. C'mon."

It hadn't really occurred to NIGHT that she was on anything resembling a date until she was partway through walking to their table. Familiar -- that's what it was -- the feeling of offering the choices to her associates, now being passed onto her. And a quick rub of her palm on her neck would give that away -- subtle, but still worried. Once the two had taken position, then came the trouble of deciding what to eat.

One of the least expensive items on the menu. Within reason. "Tonkatsu Ramen, please. Extra firm."

Nari settled herself across from the other girl, glancing briefly at the menu in a show of reviewing it before placing her order from memory. “Steak burger, Lamlou sauce on the side, with a serving of the fries – erm…like last week…”

Her words faltered as she realized what she had just said, the dead give away at being here previously. She hoped it wasn’t taken negatively…

“Don’t worry about the cost – I’m doing alright, even though the business hasn’t really picked up yet. The estate hit the col a bit hard, but you’re right once you hit a point –“ Wait, what did she just say? Did she just acknowledge so casually the home she had recently purchased? ‘Oh, no, she’s going to think I’m gloating or showing off or something…’

Nari coughed, glancing towards the single window at the front of the restaurant that gave a half-view of the world beyond. As always, it was dark outside – lit only by the light poles that dotted the city to provide sight to those who lived, worked or ventured through here. “I love it here…”

‘Where did that come from?’ Nari felt her heart pounding as she tried to resettle herself – everything was going horribly wrong from moment number one, and she was just…making it worse.

Spoiler

Word Count: 215

It hadn't been too long since Ronbaru was released. So Nari's commentary was strange -- but welcome. A smile only came to NIGHT when it was mentioned, and the player's gaze followed the waiter once they'd left, the latter showing after a quick call from earlier. Her attention was stolen back at the mention of col, and the woman couldn't help but turn suspect at her companion's wallet.

"An estate isn't a simple purchase."

Either Nari was stacked, or she was pushing her means. And judging from her situation, it was more likely the latter. NIGHT waved off the player's intent of paying. "Sorry, I have to insist. If it helps, at the very least, I can pay for my share if you'd prefer not to let me cover yours." Her back leaned against the cushion, arms folded, considering the novice for a moment. Had she been like that, in the past? No, she was certain she took precautions even in her spending for her home...

Noticing the quiet, NIGHT traced Nari's gaze over towards the window. And at her mention of appreciation, the woman hummed, considering. "It's just as nice here as it is on the first floor." Peace and quiet. A lack of disturbance. "Though not as lively," she added with a kind look. "To your benefit, I'm guessing."

Sitting opposite of Nari, the woman transfixed by the outdoors, it was almost instinctual how NIGHT shifted to look behind her companion. The feeling of familiarity -- though the environments didn't match her expected surroundings, the cold not from the rush of water, nor the ceilings high and bright, skylight pouring in. Familiar, but not enough. And she nearly tensed, unsettled by memory, her fingers silently tapping the sides of the table. Wooden. She calmed at the difference in polish.

"Well," NIGHT asked, focusing on Nari, "if you're so keen on staying here, there's no need to head into battle. But surely you're intending to do so, right? Does anything drive you towards it?"

Nari was lost in thought for a good few minutes, the memories coming flooding back to her as she stared out the window into the darkness. It had been so similar to this night’s sky…

A single tear had drifted down her right cheek, and she was glad that it was on the side that NIGHT couldn’t see from her angle. Swiping a hand up to push back some hair, she wiped away the tear before smiling at the other woman. ‘Was there something driving me into battle?’

“Well…yes, I guess. The desire to escape, although I guess that’s not a great excuse…” Nari stared at the table for a moment as she thought about her reasoning. She remembered her conversation with the Gardener, about paths and walking them alone. “…I guess, there is a reason – albeit I don’t know if it’s a great one. It’s…well, those around me. Those I’ve come to care about. The ones whom I wish to free from this place so that they can carry on their lives – and all the others I’ve yet to meet who would be freed as well.”

A slight pause as she collected her words, closing her eyes as she continued. I walk the path not with those of like mind, but with those of like heart. Thou they may not be beside me, it is in this heart of mine that their strength, their will, and their power resides. And through my arm, my weapon and my shield will I die defending those whom cannot stand here with me in the final line.

Her eyes opened as she finished the words, the memory so distant now – but she had seen the face again. It was still there, still calling to her. Judging her. She felt that pang in her heart again, and forced her gaze back to the darkness outside. She could feel the tear welling at the sides of her eyes again, threatening to release themselves and flow down her face.

Spoiler

Word Count: 333

"Well…yes, I guess. The desire to escape, although I guess that’s not a great excuse…”

In truth, she had been like of mind.

“…I guess, there is a reason – albeit I don’t know if it’s a great one. It’s…well, those around me."

So a standard reason. Just as similar as Yuki's. The reason for one to head towards the front was always in lieu of someone else -- to escape the world, open up the gates of freedom for their similar prisoners. NIGHT nodded as she listened, an elbow on the table, cheek cupped in a hand, and it all seemed normal.

Until--

Nari closed her eyes, and it was as though it was a chant. A belief. A quote, from someone long passed. Almost, it was as though the woman's voice had changed, slightly, to adapt to the words of recital. And in them, she knew first and foremost that the player was taking the same tanking route as her friend once did.

Stunned. Quiet. NIGHT looked on, blank, a little concerned and confused. A part of her wondered if her presumptions were correct. The other wondered if this mind of belief was appropriate for newcomers.

Yuki burned herself out. Fizzled like a dying star.

Knowing the pieces that might be against her rising, NIGHT knew the obligation she was making with watching over the new adventurer.

When she'd recovered, she slid herself back in her seat once more. Arms folded. The look on her face still read one of surprise.

"Then what happens to the ones who do stand with you in the midst of danger?"

It was almost a joke. Almost. NIGHT started to grin, trying to hide it behind a hand. "It's nice to know you have conviction," she finally added, once her giggling had stopped. "But you may be focusing more about the people you're trying to save more so than yourself. You shouldn't forget. The sword and shield is better used when honed, not ruined."

Nari heard the words, but somehow her head refused to turn. She knew that she should look at the girl, but…she couldn’t. The tears that had been welling began to flow, silently down her face. As she spoke up, she was thankful that her voice was level – for her emotions were anything but.

“The sword and shield are simply tools – a means to an end, one that can be discarded and replaced when worn away. Their purpose is not to remain once the fighting has ended, but instead to be placed aside – smelted down and destroyed lest violence continue beyond what is necessary.” That face again – would it never leave her alone? Even now, it haunted her. Turning to look at NIGHT, Nari attempted what was likely a sad, pathetic attempt at a smile. “I know my Path, and walk it gratefully. Just as the Gardener walks his own. I know where it will end, and I have no fear, no regrets. I am but an instrument along the route – a shield to be used to protect those beside me, to ensure they make it as far as they can. And…although my heart yearns to walk it with someone else, I know in my soul that perhaps that happiness is not meant for me.”

A shiver ran up Nari’s back, and she felt Yuki’s head snuggle in against her collar bone, as if trying to comfort her. The tears that had ran down her face – she could feel it, just two, but enough to show her true feelings – felt oddly warm and wet. She had never opened herself like this since Eve, and…well, it was going about the same. Or worse. Nari wasn’t sure.

“Where’s that damned food?” Her attempt at a joke likely fell short as she glanced around, forcing that sad smile wider.

Spoiler

Word Count: 305

So the tears-- they had been the surprise.

NIGHT had assumed their discussion were going fine, but it seemed that those words -- that recital -- may have been more impactful than she'd expected. And the woman was anything but knowledgeable about emotions, but--

Man, what was with her and making girls cry?

The past melted away just as she watched Nari's tears, listening. Just the same as Yuki, the same acceptance; except more remorse where there shouldn't have been any.

"If you have no fears, nothing to regret," NIGHT willed herself to ask, "Then... Nari, why are you crying?"

Her hand beckoned for her companion's with a wave. If she'd got to hold it, the grip on Nari's palm would've been fast, firm, shaking. Something in it that bled of concern, more so than a tinge of annoyance. Of selfishness, to oppose her companion's decision.

She watched as the familiar bury itself close to the woman. She never did get its name, but that closeness shouldn't be taken for granted.

"Tools, sure. But I need you to listen to yourself. We're human beings, and we're not to be used as tools. You can't see yourself that way, as one. You may have no fear for what comes to stand before you -- but you can't say the same for other people, for anyone else who would miss you when you're gone."

Furrowed brows. NIGHT tried to meet Nari's gaze, searching for the conscious within. "I won't allow it. I'm objecting to it. And you thinking you're not fit for anyone -- that's no reason for you to throw your life away, either."

Nari’s smile faltered for the briefest of moments – her hand reached out and grabbed onto NIGHT’s, the warmth of it somehow comforting. ‘Why am I crying…? Can I…trust…’

Nari remained silent for a few moments, taking into consideration NIGHT’s words, her hand unconsciously running her thumb up and down the palm of NIGHT’s hand, her attention clearly not on the world around her. As her thoughts drifted to the past, Nari felt the words slowly slip out, gaining traction as they escaped.

“Six years ago I…met someone…a girl, in the woods. I had gone along a path to escape people…and I hadn’t known that – that the area was her own seclusion spot. A place for her to hide…we…well, we spent some time together. Eventually meeting up again, weekend after weekend…it slowly changed into something else…but I was hesitant. I didn’t want to…to force anything – to lose anything. So I began to pull back, to force myself away from any attachment. She…” Nari breathed deeply before continuing, a soft, sad smile breaking her otherwise remorseful expression. “She didn’t accept no. We…ended up dating for a few years. Before she proposed. To me. I said yes…but her parents learnt of it…and I was away for the weekend, out exploring out special spot…I didn’t get the call – but the voicemail. It recorded everything. The yelling, the screams…the gun shot…everything.”

Nari’s eyes turned dark as she fell silent, the face appearing before her again, that look of happiness, shifting into a look of anger and judgement. She’d failed…failed in the one thing she could do…

Spoiler

Word Count: 261

They didn't have guns in Singapore.

Even so, she walked down memory lane with Nari. The woods at the park near her house. Someone, someone familiar she trusted. To spend only weekends with the person, and then, how many years? NIGHT closed her eyes, trying to envision, thumb sliding on her companion's skin subconsciously.

And the part where she couldn't accept no? Her teeth gnashed together, fingers tightened, as she continued imagining.

"I said yes…but her parents learnt of it…and I was away for the weekend, out exploring out special spot."

Any crime like that would've been an easy and set case in her country. They didn't have firearms available for the public, any everyone lived close to each other that any incident would be caught and heard by their neighbors.

But what mattered wasn't justice for the crime. It was...

When NIGHT opened her eyes, she examined the expression on Nari's face. Quiet and contemplative. There wasn't a good answer for a complex situation like this -- there never was.

"...I'm sorry to hear about that," she muttered soon after, eyes cast down to the table. The player hadn't been through that much similarly, enough to eek a death out of someone familiar, from her past. She knew that someone would've been in good hands -- better hands than herself -- either way. If she trembled, it was in trying to remember the darkest thing that had occurred to herself -- physically, in person.

A spot on her stomach seemed to churn with pain. The corner of her eyes lit up with wetness, though disappeared with blinks in a heartbeat.

Her other hand clasped Nari's once NIGHT had considered a response. "If I may," she said, though she knew her opinion hadn't the responsibility, the burden her companion must be feeling. Her eyes searched the table for support. "I... None of it was your fault. Nari. None of it." And though the woman was right, asking for where their meal was, she still thought it wouldn't have been right to retreat to food after conversation like that. "I appreciate you telling me about it, and... if you haven't, you need to grieve through it. The weight of it all..."

"It really can't be easy, holding that all in."

Nari heard the words – she’d heard them many times before. Grieve. She’d grieved enough. It hadn’t helped. It never would. But she couldn’t fault NIGHT for trying. Forcing the smile wider on her face, she nodded, pretending to agree with the girl’s words. ‘Some wounds…’

“I…in time, I may get over…well, not over it. But through it. For now…I never spend a night alone, because she’s there. As the evening falls, Eve joins my thoughts.” The smile faltered for a moment before being forced back into place. “If I’m being honest, I think I fear the day when she doesn’t haunt my dreams. That would be the day I truly lose everything…I know that one day I’ll move on, find someone else, but I know that I will also never truly move on. Or so I hope, at least.”

What a way to make an impression. If nothing else, this could go down in the records of worst date ever. Wait – was this even a date? “NIGHT, I need to be honest here. I…invited you here for…well…I had wanted to share the evening with you. As not just friends.

Spoiler

Word Count: 189

"No, I get what you mean."

It paled in comparison with what Nari was talking about, of course. She didn't have as much experience with grief as anyone else rightfully did, and pain like this wasn't capable of proper comparison. Still, she made the effort to understand, thumb still running over skin. "I don't think... we'll ever move on from the people we've met. Especially if they've meant so much to us. And... it comes and goes in waves, doesn't it? Like an old friend, like a ghost that keeps haunting."

Sad eyes bore into the wall they sat next to. And a sliver of a smile came through, in her musing, though against all of NIGHT's intentions.

"There's nothing wrong with that. It's not bad. Just means they've meant a lot to you -- to us. That's all."

It faded as quickly as it came.

When her name was called, she leaned back once more, though not without pulling away her own hand. Strange, she considered -- she usually hated being touched, but when it mattered, she supposed...

"I had wanted to share the evening with you. As not just friends."

Maybe, then, that was when the evening began to crumble.

"Eh?"

And everything in her vision started to get a little shaky. The fingers that slid backwards on Nari's hands stung of the restaurant's apparent chill.

Not just friends.

"W-wait," she breathed, eyes looking away at everywhere but Nari's figure. This was sudden. This should've been expected. This was not read in NIGHT's interpretations of her companion's intentions. "W-wait. S-Surely... must've been a mistake..."

Her bottom lip wobbled, the warmth of her skin consuming her cheeks. Was there more to 'the evening'? A chat over dinner was nothing more than spending time together. There was nothing there that not-friends could do that friends wouldn't.

Even so--

Quiet, for a moment.

She gathered her thoughts, in her pause. NIGHT was uncertain, sure -- both for the better of Nari and herself, and she had experience in dealing with it to boot. So...

The last time, with Yuki, it ended in tears. This round...

"C-can I ask," she returned, trying to appear confident and sure despite her ever-loosening figure, "W-what exactly do you mean by -- t-the evening? O-or your definition of 'n-not just friends?'"