[F01 - SP] The First Few Lessons - Lesson I

1560320-bigthumbnail.jpg

The First Few Lessons - Lesson I
https://www.sao-rpg.com/topic/20455-f01/

In the beginning, players raged and screamed to the heavens hoping that someone - anyone - would save them from their virtual prison. Two years had past since that fateful day, and several thousands of lives had been lost to the game Sword Art: Online. Since then, players fell into at least four different categories. The first of those categories being those who hoped and waited for rescue from outside the virtual world. The next were those that organized. They were essentially a virtual version of the Army, and the primarily controlled the first floor. Then there was those that created Guilds and utilized resource more efficiently. Finally, there were the solo players. Those who choose to adventure alone for their own reasons.

For approximately two years, Reyna had fallen into the first category. She hoped, dared she say prayed, that someone on the outside would figure out how to save everyone.  There had to be someone trying anyway, but as her col ran out and time continued to pass hope of rescue from the outside became a foreign concept.  It wasn't long before she found herself drifting along -  living life like she was in daze. Spending col for inns and food. There were many days she spent staring at herself in the mirror trying to remember what life was like in the real world. Trying to remember who Reyna even was, and then like a snap bracelet it all clicked. This was her life now - and this is not how she wanted to live. It was time to start living again. It was that thought that brought her out of the cheap inn and to the to buy a weapon from Nari on the 27th floor. Despite all these thoughts and feeling Reyna could not bring herself to that the one of the very first quest of the game. It just so happened today that he found her. 

"You there! Stop, please!" A man approaches you with long, purposeful strides. "Pardon me, but I am in need of some assistance, and you appear quite capable." Giving the NPC your attention, he heaves a quick sigh, adjusting the monocle over his right eye. "My name is Dorian, and I am the mayor of this town. As part of those mayoral duties, I issued a small loan to a member of the community a few months ago. Well, the time to collect had come around and I-" Flustered, Dorian systematically runs his fingers over his perfect mustache. "You see, I've forgotten who it was I loaned the money to. Terribly embarrassing, I know, but I am a very busy man, and I cannot keep track of everything that happens. I'm sure you understand." With a wave of his hand, Dorian continues, "Should you be willing to track down the loan recipient for me, and collect the col, I would be eternally grateful. Just, maybe don't let anyone else know I forgot who the loan went to?"

Shocked by the approach all Reyna could do was nod. Dorian then nodded. "Excellent, I knew I could count on you! You might start with Zackariah, the alchemist. He's often doing projects for the town, so it may have been him that borrowed the money."

That is what led her to be standing in the middle of the potion lined shop the purple locked player watched as a gentle darted quickly over to her before going back to whatever was being down behind the counter. “Oh, hello, are you here to order something? I’m sorry, but I am currently swamped with orders, and I’m running out of supplies.” Light then started to shine into the man's dark eyes, a lightbulb going off to signify a brilliant idea. “Would you gather a few materials for me? Flowers, herbs, rare woods, whatever you can find outside the city walls. I promise I’ll help you fill your order as soon as you return. In fact, I would be willing to show you how to do it yourself.”

Spoiler

Reyna | Level 1 | SP:5 | HP: 20 | EN: 20 | DMG: 1 | ACC: 1 |

Items: 
-->(3) Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP)
-->(25) Materials

Equipment: 
-->Ice Tipped Spear | T1 | Polearm/Spear | Rare
Damage (1 Slot); Accuracy (1 Slot)
Item Description: A long polearm crafted on a red-steel shaft, the entire length from blade tip to shaft-end is approximately 5 ft. The blade itself is crafted of an ice blue metal material, and seems to sparkle slightly in the light.

Spoiler

Word Count: 671

Edited by Reyna

The streets were littered with all kinds of players. Despite that the indigo-hair women barely paid any attention to them. After two years of primarily interacting with strictly NPCs it was normal to ignore others. If Kaya, Asano, or Kuwahara had made it into the game the story may have been different - but Reyna had never been gladder that her friends were impulsive with their money. They loved games, but this was no longer just a game. Exhaling, which was a function that wasn't even needed, helped her calm down. Get her mind focused before exiting the safety of the town. Standing at the gate, the player pulled down the menu with a flick of her two fingers. Seeing the avatar with a basic kimono and wooden clogs made her pause. There was some money left, maybe getting a set of armor would be good. Deciding that now was not the time, the spear icon was dragged over and equipped to the avatar. 

The blue pixels materialized in front of her. Reaching out smooth, pixelated fingers grasped the hilt of the polearm. Instantly, comfort bloomed within her. The first real interaction she had in SAO. The first friend she made. Smiling to herself she brought to the spear to her side and started into the field. 

Spoiler

Word Count: 217

Since the upper floors of the Iron Castle had opened up, the fields of Floor 1 had become quieter as the players that desired to get stronger left. At one point, it was not uncommon to see hordes of people battling the wild boar and other monsters that lived on the floor. As the last two years had gone by that had changed. Everyone who wanted to become stronger had. Now all that were left were the people who were had settled and crafters.

It would only be every now and then someone like her would venture out.

Some were unsure of what happened to those that left, and there was no way to know for sure unless someone knew the name of the players. If status updates about friends were desired, then a message could be sent. Another, vaguer way to check was the memorial that had sprouted up on the first floor. It contained the names of all the players in the game and if they were alive or dead. If they were dead, how they died was carved next to their names. It was unsettling how many of them said "fell off edge." She pondered on those thoughts as her feet led her to the forest across the field. It was funny how talking to the Mayor, Dorian, had changed her life.

She had been wandering around floor one near the market when she had run into an overweight man with glasses. He had stopped her, and with a blank gaze she listened as he inquired about a quest. As she was about to say no, her mouth formed the words "Sure." Which led her to the Alchemist shop and then here. She had been intending to do this quest for a while but was struggling with an internal battle. Funny how today he ran into her.

Spoiler

Word Count: 310

Usually the floor was barren, but as the female players traveled further into the plains a group of players in the distance became known. Keeping distance, Reyna then stopped and placed the butt of the spear on the ground. Then, she leaned on it. For just a minute the spear slipped and started to fall, but after a second if found a grip and remained standing. A small burst of laughter rang from her lips - and then it wouldn't stop. Reyna had forgotten what it was like to laugh, even if it was at herself. Catching her breath, an action that was not entirely needed, she righted herself and kept walking. There was a new energy in the air as she walked. 

Who would have thought that getting out of the city would be so...enlightening?  

And, if she saw herself in the mirror now, would she even recognize herself?

Probably not. The girl who wasted away in the Town of Beginning didn't laugh, or smile. She didn't do anything or feel anything. The world was just passing by and at that was fine. Then the dreams started. Horrible nightmares that left her afraid of the dark and tearful. Dreams about her real body laying in a hospital bed wasting away as time passed. What horrified her the most was that even if she didn't die in SAO, what about her real body? It couldn't hold up forever in a hospital. Eventually, one would have to give. It was the dreams that made her start to rethink life in SAO, as horrifying as they were. 

Spoiler

Word Count: 247

Suddenly, Reyna was forcefully brought out of her thoughts as the ground came crashing toward her. Letting out a small 'ep' in surprise her face hit the grass of the plains. The spear clattered next to her in the long grass. Quickly, her right hand reached out to latch around the shaft of the spear. A wave of security enveloped her as her finger's enclosed the hilt. Almost as if the earth had stolen every ounce of energy Reyna turned her head to side and pressed her cheek into the ground. The breeze picked up slightly; causing the grass to lightly tickle pixelated skin. Her locks, which were braided, floated gently in the breeze. 

It's so peaceful out here...Reyna thought, letting out a long breath. She knew that she should get up, but she could not bring herself to move. Instead, she lay there sprawled out in the grass. "What am I even doing?" Reyna asked the world around her. Unfortunately, or fortunately, for Reyna nothing responded. 

Spoiler

Word Count: 167

For several minutes Reyna laid in the field; her thoughts racing faster than horses on a track as she thought about what had led her to this point. The tears that streaked down virtual cheeks had subsided and even stopped all together a few minutes prior. Rolling over and finally sitting up she stared out into the field before her. The small voice in her mind, the reasonable one, exclaimed that this was a horrible idea. That she was easy pickings for PKers or anyone who chose to come by at that time with malicious intent; however, she was finding it hard to bring herself to care. Kill her. At least the nightmare would be over. 

However, there was another voice. This one did not scream. It did not yell. It whispered. It whispered about everything that Reyna was missing, about the love she had for her family and friends, and the desire to live. Sighing, the butt of the spear was placed in the ground and used to hoist herself up.

It was time to move forward.

Spoiler

Word Count: 178

And the wandering continued. 

While Reyna knew what she was looking for she was also unsure. Was it anything that could be found? Being a beginning quest it could not be too difficult to figure out. Taking a moment, the spear-welder then knelt and examined a rock that was innocently sitting in her path. Sometimes this game of death amazed her. The texture of the rock was rough and rigid. The smell of the grass and freshness wafted up as it was pulled from its indent in the earth's crust. Using the focus feature she allowed the system to assist in picking out all the different dents and tints of...pink? Eyebrows knitting together in confusion she brought the rock closer to her face. There was a light tint of pink as the sun reflected off the surface.  

"This is beautiful," Reyna murmured, twisting the geode in her hand one more time, "And perfect for this quest." Flicking the menu down, the geode was placed in her inventory.

Spoiler
208174 4 5 15 6

LD: 15 (Success) 
Quest Material Collected: 1/5

Spoiler

Word Count: 171

Edited by Reyna

The first search was a success. 

A feeling of pride bubbled up and overflowed as a Cheshire like grin overtook the avatars features. She had done it. The first search in the game had landed her a unique rock that could be used to move forward. Using the spear to balance, Reyna stood upright once again and turned to look back at the city. The comfort of the city stood statuesque in the distance as sunlight flooded the plains. She had not even felt like she had walked that far; yet the city had to be at least 500 yards away. Then again, Reyna had never been very good at estimating distance. Taking a quick glance in the corner of her screen the young women observed that the time was now 10:30. It was still early. Perhaps she would even be able to get this quest done today. Quest done or not though, she needed to head back to the safety of the Town of Beginnings before night fall. The plains could become a dangerous place for a new player - especially once the sun fell. 

Spoiler

Word Count: 186

A sudden decision was made as Reyna crouched back down to examine the ground around her. If one item was found here, then perhaps another could be. Using the spear as support, her left hand reached around to feel under the tall grass of the plains. There was dirt. Roots. With a jerk Reyna pulled her hand back as she thought she felt something dance across the back of her hand. Are their even bugs? No way, it was just my imagination. Has to be. 

Convincing herself that she was overreacting she started to search once again. Within a matter of minutes her hand it something hard under the soft soil. Digging her fingers under the edge, Reyna pulled up. As she pulled, the hard surface suddenly dislodged. At the same time, the hard object hurdled through the air and landed with a soft thud on the ground. Another rock. This one didn't have any fun colors or texture. It was just a plain, old rock. 

"This will do," Reyna commented, placing the next rock in her inventory, "Now only three more items to go." 

Spoiler
08234 4 7 17 10

LD: 17 (Success)
Quest Material Gathered: 2/5

Spoiler

Word Count: 185

Edited by Reyna

Instead of moving further into the wilds of the plains Reyna turned and meandered parallel to the Town of Beginnings. After all, the town meant safety and wandering too far was not wise. While the lower floors were usually safe that was not guaranteed. The more she thought about the more she wandered if she should go ahead and start back. Before she even realized it, she was already heading back towards town. 

"Better safe than sorry." Reyna murmured, nodding as if to convince herself. 

As she was wandering back, she did a quick spin around just observed. There was no one nearby. You’re just paranoid. Stop it. Then a small voice in the back of her head maliciously whisper, "You're too scared. How can someone like you be on the frontlines? Wanna be a clearer - well, good fucking luck." Reyna found herself momentarily frozen as the voice continued to bombard her. It was a bright yellow flower that brought her back to earth. It stood out among a patch of deep red flowers. For some reason it was the only yellow one. Smiling, Reyna picked the flower and added it to her inventory. 

Spoiler
208468 4 4 13 5 Reyna http://www.cydel.net/images/saorpg/diceroll/Msg_hover2.png Searching for Quest Materials

LD: 13 (Success) 
Quest Material Gathered: 3/5

Spoiler

Word Count: 195

Edited by Reyna

With each step the Town of Beginnings was getting closer into view. From the outside, the town appeared to be rather large and impenetrable with its' fortress like walls. Which made sense if one really thought about. It was a safe haven. A place where players could go and not risk the ultimate price of the game. 

And it was not a bad place to live. 

Since it was a beginner friendly town the wears and inns were decently priced. That had been a major help when it came to surviving on the first floor. The only real downside was that it was home to the Liberation Army. There was usually always a flurry of Army activity, and sometimes the Army could be tricky to deal with. If she were being honest though, there was a point where she thought about joining their ranks. At least they provided for their guildmates, and it was an easy way to get three decent meals. Ultimately, however, Reyna had decided against joining and decided to go out as a Solo Player. At least for the moment. 

Spoiler

Word Count: 183

The thought that a guild would ask her to join their ranks crossed her mind, and it made Reyna laugh a little. She was a nobody to the guilds around here. Just a low-level player who dreamed of making it to the front ranks – but that didn’t always have to be the case. Reyna reassured herself that hard work and determination would help build up her level, and then ultimately increase her HP. One day even she could make it to the front line.

But that was a long way off.

For now, it was safer to focus on the present and live to see the next minute. Then, hopefully, the next day. The rest would come with patience and a little bit of luck. The more Reyna thought about it the more her spirits brightened. This was going to get her places. One day looking for potion ingredients and then the next fighting a boss monster. All she had to have was patience.

Spoiler

Word Count: 164

Another glance in the corner of screen informed her that it was now 12:05 in the afternoon. Sighing to herself, she placed a hand on her stomach as she imagined audible grumbling that was not taking place. While Reyna had eaten that morning before leaving on this quest that had been several hours ago. Now, the lavender themed player was regretting not buy an extra cheese tart from the bakery called Tartify. The thought of the creamy, broiled cream cheese made her sigh longingly. Perhaps, after this quest was complete, she could enjoy one of the cheese tarts. 

There was something else about the bakery that made her happy. The NPC who worked the counter of the shop was friendly and warm. She always grinned at players in a welcoming manner. Reyna enjoyed her interaction with the NPC. It was one of the few times she actually spoke with another character. Part of her wanted to make friends with the other players, but there was a lingering fear that blocked her ability to form those connections. What if they thought she was weak? What if they thought bad of her for just starting adventuring? The negative thoughts swirled around her head -  causing her to feel slightly dizzy. Leaning against the polearm she placed her temple against the pole. Now was not the time to be distracted. 

Spoiler

Word Count: 230

Edited by Reyna

"What else is there besides rocks and flowers?" Reyna muttered to the emptiness. 

So far, the young women had collected two rocks and a flower. After doing a quick scan of the surrounding area all Reyna found was more rocks and flowers. It was rather boring, but at least it would get the quest done sooner rather than later. Cheese tart on the brain her gaze bore down at the land beneath the purple traditional sandals. There! Bending over to pick of another flower she brought the plant up so that the system would focus on it. It was nothing special. Just a regular, red flower with five wide petals around the center. Figuring it was better than nothing the flower was placed in the inventory. Only one more ingredient. The last ingredient should not be so hard to find. Especially if Reyna was not picky about what selected. While something different was desired; she also desired to get this quest done. After all, the one after this was the first fighting quest – and that was something to look forward too.

Spoiler
208584 2 8 20 4 Reyna

LD: 20 (Success)
Quest Materials Gathered: 4/5

Spoiler

Word Count: 181

Edited by Reyna

Allowing a narrowed gaze to drift up from the ground it rose until it hit the sky. Well, not a real sky, but the bottom of the floor above. Just the thought of the other floors made her smile. After all, she had ventured to the one of the upper floors for the spear that had been gripped in her right hand. It had taken a long time to decide what weapon to even use. A sword would have been fun, but something about the polearm called to her. Perhaps it was its ability to be distant, but Reyna also wanted to be useful in close quarter combat as well. She had heard of a quest on one of the upper floors that allowed a player to gain close combat skill. In her mind, as inexperienced as that was, it made sense to have a close- and long-range skills. That way, one could always be as prepared as possible no matter the situation.

Spoiler

Word Count: 163

Edited by Reyna

It was never the plan to get distracted, but on a quest like this it was difficult to stay focused. Especially by oneself. Without someone to engage with it allowed the mind to turn inward. If she was being honest with herself, the choices she had decided to make did not bring forth feelings of pride or comfort. Instead, they summoned waves of regret and guilt.

The first several nights after discovering she was captive in this game had been rough. The female player had found an Inn and locked herself in one of the various rooms. Those days were full of tears and nightmares. After so long the tears stopped coming but the nightmares remained - even to this day. Then she waited. And waited. And waited. Until two years passed, and no changes had been made. During that time, Reyna had started to journal and try to find her way. It had taken a long time to accept this virtual reality as a new life, but there was no choice. It was either learn to live or waste away. Yes, her ultimate goal was to return to the real world, but in the meantime, it would not hurt to live this life either.

After all, it was the only one she had now.

Halfway paying attention, Reyna spotted another rock and leaned down. She attempted to pull the rock from the ground; however, the rock would not budge. Frowning, and narrowing her eyes, another attempt was made. The rock still did not budge. Sighing, she gave up on this material and attempt to find another one. 

Spoiler
208586 10 12 4 1 Reyna

LD: 4 (Fail)
Quest Materials Gathered: 4/5

Spoiler

Word Count: 268

Edited by Reyna

Continuing to meander back towards town the lavender haired player decided to find the final material while intentionally heading back to the Alchemy shop. Lips pursed; a focused gaze scanned the grassy plains for something to pick up. Even as the wind gently brushed past the green stems there appeared to be nothing of interest.  

Slowing right outside the gate into town a broader scan was made. Then lilac orbs landed on the side of the town wall. Bright, earthy evergreen moss was crawling up the side of the cities wall. Approaching the wall, a beige hand reached out to entangle long nailed fingers into the moss. Much to her surprise, it was soft. As she engaged with the moss a window popped up asking if she would like to place the item in the player inventory. A bright, wide smile broke out. The final material. Pacing the <<Climbing Moss>> into her inventory the young woman then leisurely strolled through the gate of the city and started toward the Alchemy shop.

Spoiler
208648 6 10 16 3 Reyna

LD: 16 (Success)
Quest Materials Gathered: 5/5

Spoiler

Word Count: 171

Edited by Reyna

The Town of Beginnings was no more busy than usual. Players of all types decorated the street doing daily tasks or relaxing. As Reyna strolled, her eyes lingered on the groups of players as they chatted and laughed. Desire for the same interactions bubbled up but they were swiftly pushed down. For now, she needed to focus on her goal. There was some hope that along the way connections with others would come as well. 

Several minutes later a familiar door came into sight. Pushing open the shop door it opened into a large room with potions decorating the walls. The Alchemist was nowhere to be seen. Slowly wandering into the shop, she softly called out, "Hello?" Immediately the familiar, wrinkled face appeared from behind the shop. Zackariah. Without hesitation he warmly greeted her.

"Ah, you," He voiced, smiling, "Welcome back. May I see what you collected?" 

First two fingers swiping the air, a player menu opened before the women. Reyna pulled the materials from the inventory and placed them on the counter. A speculative glance scanned each material in turn. "Perfect, let's make that potion."

Spoiler

Word Count: 186

Edited by Reyna

Without another word the older NPC led the way to the back of the shop while holding the items. He laid out the materials on a thick wooden table in the center of the room; then gestured the player over. With practiced motions wrinkled hands picked up the stone and placed it in front of Reyna. "There is a tool to the right that is a hammer and chisel. Pick that up and start to use it on the rock." Following his directions, the hammer and chisel were located. With unsteady hands she placed the chisel over the rock then brought the hammer down on it. Nothing happened. Blinking rapidly, she glanced over at Zackariah in confusion. 

"Did I do something wrong?" Reyna asked, eyeing the material suspiciously. 

There was a shake of his head, notifying her that she did not do something wrong. "Try again," the NPC commanded gently, "This time focus on the way the chisel feels puncturing the rock." 

Spoiler
208649 9 3 14 9 Reyna

CD: 3 (Fail)
Failed potion, must try again

Spoiler

Word Count: 162

Edited by Reyna

"Right," Reyna murmured, turning her attention back to the hammer and chisel, "Feel the chisel pierce the rock."

There was a moment where Reyna just stared at to see if he would say anything else. No other words passed the paper-thin lips. What she was feeling was stupid. How the heck did someone imagine that? Breathing in through her nose, and then out through her mouth, she tried to envision in her mind’s eye the solid metal of the tool breaking through the rock. This time when she stuck the rock a window appeared in front of her. The message, <<Player has acquired new item: rock dust>> flashed before her. After that the Alchemist then guided her though breaking down the rest of the ingredients. Before she knew it a pale blue potion sat before her in a bottle.

After successfully crafting the potions, Zackariah holds them up, examining her work. "You did a fantastic job," he finally declared, offering Reyna the items. "Now, was there anything else?" Once you explain your real reason for visiting, Zackariah chuckles and shakes his head. "Leave it to Dorian to forget something so important. No, I'm afraid it wasn't me that borrowed the col. You might try Lyle, the blacksmith. I've seen him talking with the mayor frequently the past month or so, and he's just up the road. I wish you luck!"

Spoiler
208652 6 12 11 8 Reyna

CD: 12 (Success) 
Perfect Quality Potion Made

Spoiler

Word Count: 230

Edited by Reyna