[F06 - SP] The Hardest Battles... <<Calming the Soul>>

Nothing happened though. Just the noises of the street, cars passing by, some grackles noisily calling out to each other. Everything was just...normal. Koga looked down at his clothing, fully expecting to be in his regular street clothes, and yet, he wasn't even surprised when he found that he was still in his coat, with his katana hanging at his waist. Well that confirmed it. He was still in the game. Just...some kind of simulation or vision, like the tavern.

A swell of anger at the violation of his mind swept through Koga. "Fuck you!" the man shouted into the sky, at Cardinal, at Kayaba, at whatever gods had decided this would be an amusing joke to play on the man. Whatever entity that Koga was cursing, it seemed to deign not to respond, perhaps too busy rolling on the floor laughing.

These were his memories. This was his home. And it seemed that they were made into Fate's playground now. The tavern was the same, but this just seemed to hit a little closer to home. Koga felt sickened by the notion.

"Geez, what's got you all riled up?" a near-forgotten voice said from behind Koga. The man whirled around to face the speaker, chest constricting as soon as he set his eyes on that head of brown and hair and sharp green eyes. "Hikaru," Koga whispered, a flood of emotion filling him once again, sitting in his stomach like a lead weight. "Hey, Mas," the man said with a smile as he approached. "It's been a long time, hasn't it?"

"Don't fucking do that," Koga said stepping backwards. "Don't you dare fucking use them like that." His voice trembled, wavered as he struggled to form the words and usher them from his mouth.

"Hmm? Oh, yeah. Sorry. I guess this really wasn't the best choice. Is this better?" The voice shifted, from the upbeat, excitable voice of Hikaru, to being sweeter, kinder. "We've missed you, Masato." Tsukiko said with a bright smile that ate at Koga's soul.

A flash of steel as Koga dashed forward, drawing his weapon and slicing through the air in a single motion. The razor edge sang through the air, never once tasting flesh. "Woah! Mas, put that away, you're could've hurt us!" The shade of Tsukiko said, reappearing out of thin some meters away, as if she stepped through a curtain.

"Shut up," Koga said, straightening his stand and lifting his weapon. "You're not them. You're not her. And I won't let you use them just to get to me."

"We're not trying to do anything here, Masato. We're just showing you what you need to see."

Koga leapt forward again, raising his sword and bringing it back down, aiming to cut into the phantasmal body from shoulder to waist. Dust and dirt and concrete exploded into the air as shockwaves reverberated up Koga's arms, threatening to shake the weapon free of his grip.

"Don't you get it Mas, we're trying to help you!"

"And how the fuck does pretending to be my dead friends help me!?" Koga lifted his weapon and looked around himself. But the entity seemed to have disappeared entirely, not a single trace left behind except the voice that continued to taunt him. "You tell us. We're only here because you called out to us."

"Bullshit," the man swore. "I think I would remember if I asked to be mentally tormented by a couple of sick fucks masquerading as people I care about."

"Would you though?" the voice whispered softly in his ear.

Koga leapt out of the way just in time, the ground where he'd just been standing now nothing more than a small crater as he rolled back to his feet to face the specter. No longer in street clothes, but in armor, and holding a straight sword. Silver pieces of plate, all dull and dirty, strapped to her chest, her shoulders, her arms and legs. Low level gear. Even the sword, simple and plain. But that power, it would've one shot Tsukiko if she'd been hit with that.

"You have things that need to be settled. Not with all these people, but with yourself."

A gust of wind as Tsukiko shot forward like a bullet, sword aimed to pierce Koga's throat. The grinding of metal on metal, sparks exploding into the air as he brought his weapon up to defend, deflecting the thrust to the side.

"These people, they're just the symbols. Symbols of the parts of you you despise."

Koga grunted as he planted his feet into the ground and pushed, throwing the smaller girl backwards. "So what is it that you need to settle with us?" The small, lithe shape of Tsukiko began to morph once more, into the taller, stronger form of Hikaru, similarly armed, save that the small, light straight sword had been replace with a warhammer.

Spoiler

Koga | HP: 860/860 | EN: 108/120 (120 -12) | DMG: 23 | EVA: 2 | MIT: 30 | ACC: 5 | LD: 3 | BRN: 56 | BLT: 32/20 | FALN: 8 | REC: 4 | B.HEALING: 47/94

Second Inner Demon | HP: 287/287 (287 -337) | DMG: 154 | MIT: 8

Koga uses ST-I
  | 208863, BD nat3 +5, DMG (23 * (12 +3)) -8
Second Inner Demon takes 337 damage
Second Inner Demon dies!

Edited by Koga
  • 7 months later...

"What do you have to say to me, Masato?!" Hikaru lifted the weapon high into the air and brought it crashing back down to earth, forcing Koga to roll to the left to avoid the blow. This time he was the one to attack, dashing in aiming to thrust his katana into his opponents side. But much like Koga had done, the spectre of Hikaru deflected the blow, using the handle of the hammer to parry Koga's attack to the side.

"What the hell do you want me to say, Hikaru!?" Koga shouted as he tried to land another blow, swing his blade at the man's neck. "That I'm sorry you died!? That I'm sorry I let you try to ride that stupid fucking boar!?" Koga raised his sword and brought it back down in downward swing. The sound of wood cracking echoed in his ears as Hikaru blocked the blow once more. "I didn't know that we'd be trapped here! We didn't, none of us did! So what the hell am I apologizing for!?"

"Isn't that obvious!?" Hikaru asked with a laugh, swinging his hammer at Koga like a baseball bat, forcing him to leap backwards, or otherwise suffer broken ribs. "You blame yourself anyways. Right? That's what it is." The green-eyed phantom charged, his hammer scraping along the ground, kicking up dirt and rocks before curving upwards. Stepping to his right, Koga span on his heels swinging wildly, only to meet resistance again. "You still blame yourself, all these years, for something you couldn't have possibly put a stop to." There wasn't a single hint of animosity in Hikaru's voice as he spoke. "Tell me I'm wrong."

"Shut up!" Koga drove his forehead into his opponent nose, a vicious snapping sound and an explosion of blood, as Hikaru staggered backwards, clutching his nose. "Of course I still blame myself! I should have done something, I should have told you you were an idiot for even thinking about it, that there was no point. I should have done something."

"Do you really think I would've listened?" Hikaru chuckled, moving his hand from his nose and looking at the blood staining it. "You know I would've done anything to impress her."

Every muscle in Koga's jaw tightened at those words. "Yeah...I know...but, still."

"Stop fucking talking," the hammer came down again, crushing Koga as he only narrowly sidestepped the blow. "And stop trying to apologize. You don't need to apologize to me. I'm dead. I couldn't hold it against you even if I wanted to." Another swing, forcing Koga to duck, only to be met with a knee to his face. The swordsman stumbled back, dazed. "And if I came back to life, you know I'd forgive you. So stop asking me for forgiveness. Forgive yourself, damn it." The man flourished his weapon as he stepped forward, like a batter stepping up to the plate. The hammer landed in his hands, and the heavy head rose again.

• 2 weeks later...

The hammer fell.

Thunk!

The hammer fought against Koga's outstretched hand, stopping it dead in it's track. "You're right, Hikaru." Fingers clutched at the hammer's head, thin cracks spiderwebbing across the engraved stone. "I do need to forgive myself." The hammer crumbled away like dust, particles of fine sand clinging to his fingertips as the man stood. "It just won't be today."

That process takes time." The years were short, and too few had allowed Yugam the time to heal, but it was not too late. Not yet at least. "It will happen," Masato promised. The glint of steel shone across their skin as he lifted his sword. "You don't need to worry about me."

The sound of the Tsuki no Hikari splitting the air whistled sharply. But Masato felt no resistance. His blade cut through the phantasmal form of Hikaru effortlessly, as if he were smoke. "Rest now, old friend."

• 6 months later...

The smoke dissipated, then collected once more, taking on the shadowy form of the strange specter from before. By this point at least he was getting used to the specter's strange comings and goings. It's white flowing shapes of the phantom's eyes stared at Koga as it cocked it's head to the side, a pleased sensation emanating from its form. Koga wished he could smile at the specter, an acknowledgement of his own gladness of whatever the fuck was going on. Even if it wasn't pleasant, every step forward was progress, he felt. But his chest still ached, and exhaustion gnawed at his bones. Koga made due with a nod. "So? What's next?"

The was no answer, just a straightening of the phantom's neck before the world began to shift, blooming outward from the phantom's feet. The grey sidewalk suddenly became green, the buildings and walls around them gave way to clear blue sky. Koga began to look around himself, the distant walls of a familiar town shining in the distance. 'The Town of Beginnings.'
"Hey, why here?" Koga asked her turned around, only to find empty air behind him. "Gone again..."

"Koga!" The man turned as he heard his name get called by an all too familiar voice. Tala?
"Oi, c'mon! I'm gonna eat all the food if you keep walking so slow!" Another familiar voice joined in, beckoning Koga towards the town.
They were all here. All of them. Noctua. Tala. NIGHT. Yukiro. Lonzo. Nora.
Koga knew by now it was all just an illusion. But nonetheless, he could feel a tug at his heart strings. They'd been his second chance, and still, he'd let it all fall apart. "I'm comin'!" the man shouted back, his lips forming a sad smile as he walked up.
"Is something wrong?" Noctua asked as he'd approached, her pretty French accent lilting with the wind. Koga shook his head. "Everything's fine, c'mon, let's go."

The group walked along, a small huddled mass as they all talked. Koga, for his part, remained a pace behind them all, his eyes wandering over their features. Lonzo, with his prickly stubble, dark eyes and welcoming smile. He'd been the oldest of them all, Koga thought, though he had to admit he'd never found out for certain. He'd simply disappeared without a trace one day.

Nora, and he cascade of dark hair, and her pleasant demeanor. She seemed to fuss over others more than anyone else. But just like Lonzo, she was just gone. Never heard from again, like a whisper on the wind.

NIGHT. But not the one he knew now. He almost laughed to himself as he marked the stark differences. She'd had long hair back then, not the short unkempt mess she kept now. And she wasn't nearly as jaded. None of them were yet. The first time he'd met her, Koga recalled, they'd found themselves in a pinch with giant wasps. NIGHT had screamed and ran around in circles until the giants bugs had killed themselves on her Thorns.

Yukiro. He saw this man every day, and somehow, he looked the exact same as he as this illusion. They were the same, save for a certain brightness in the illusion's eyes. Nowadays, Koga only saw that light when Yuki looked at Tala.

Tala, who he rarely spoke to now, despite living in the same home still. Things had changed between Koga and his sister, and it was still difficult for them to look each other in the eye. But now, when Tala turned around a gave Koga that mischievous smile that told him his wallet was going to be hurting by the end of the day, Koga looked back into her eyes, the familiar crimson hue staring back.

Spoiler

Koga HP: 860/860 | EN: 120/120 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 2 | MIT: 30 | ACC: 5 | LD: 3 | BRN: 56 | BLT: 32/20 | FALN: 8 | REC: 4 | B.HEALING: 47/94

Third Inner Demon | HP: 0/430 (430 -453) | DMG: 230 | MIT: 12

Koga uses ST-I against Third Inner Demon
   | 214108, BD nat8 +5, DMG (12 +3) * (23 +8) -12
Third Inner Demon takes 453 Fallen damage!
Third Inner Demon dies!

Edited by Koga

"Bro, how about I clean the house for the whole week if you pay for my dinner tonight."
"A whole week? For just one dinner? What's the catch?"
Koga asked with a skeptical lift of brow.
"You gotta buy Yuki's too."
"And there it is,"
Koga chuckled, Noct's giggling joining in.
"Yuki could eat enough for all of us, you're gonna have to do better than just a week of cleaning, Tala."
"Hey! I don't eat that much!"

"Yes, you do." Everyone seemed to chime in at once before breaking into laughter.
"Broke again, Yuki?" Koga finally asked, knowing all too well the boy's somehow perpetual lack of funds, and nightly bench-naps.
"Yeah, sorry," the boy chuckled sheepishly.
"Ugh, how about I take care of the Slimes too. You hate cleaning up after them," Tala sweetening the pot.
"Only 'cause the slime sticks to your boots. But alright, fine deal."
"Yes! You're the best, bro!"
"First of all, who are you, and what have you done with my sister. Second, pretty sure it should be Yuki saying that, I always pay for you."
"You're the best, bro!"
"I ran into that one..."

The group continued to walk along, chatting, but Koga just smiled, enjoying something he hadn't realized he missed so much. He'd avoided getting close to people for so long. Every time, they left. Died. Disappeared. The hurt was just too much sometimes. But maybe it was worth it after all.

Koga's gaze drifted over to Noct, who was just as quiet as him. Even though she wasn't real, she looked just like her. Not the twisted mask of a specter wearing her face. This one might as well have been the flesh and blood version. He wanted to reach out and touch her. Just once more.

But instead, Koga stopped dead in his tracks. The group continued walking along, leaving the swordsman behind. "Good-bye." The figures faded away, their fractal forms blown away by a soft breeze. "I'll see you guys again. One day."

The Town of Beginnings faded away, the shimmering image disappearing like a mirage. The tall walls and the roofs of the buildings hiding behind them gave way to a lush forest, the thick canopy of leaves casting deep shadows. Dark, and cool, but not foreboding or ominous. A path wound its way deep into the forest, the dirt being reclaimed by the forest overgrowth. Weeds and bushes encroached on its borders.

Before Koga could even take a step towards the path, to see where it went, a small flame formed above the path. A small orb of blue flame, flickering in Koga's sight. "Will o' the wisp." Stories of phantom lights in forests, marshes, and swamps. None were all too good. None were all to bad either though. But with no other sign as a guide, what choice did Koga have? It seemed they were walking the same path anyways.

The wisp flitted down the path, deep into the dark forest. The cool air was refreshing, and soon the sound of rushing water filled the air. A waterfall, and a small pool. Someone was already there ahead of him though, sitting beneath the waterfall, his legs crossed and hands in his lap. It took no more than a moment to realize who it was, or the wolf sitting at the shore, watching carefully.

The wisp floated directly to Koga's dormant body, before it began to grow, and change shape. "Ya know, you never stopped me from going too far. Why was that, brother?"

• 1 month later...

"It's not like you would've listened," Koga replied, kicking a stone into the water, the resulting ripples drowned by those made by the waterfall. Should it have been strange to Koga, to see his own body from the outside? He may as well have been another player, stumbling across another of Cardinal's secrets. A side quest maybe. He was no field boss after all. Or maybe he was, he'd felled a number of them at this point. Strange thoughts, but no stranger than the situation itself.

Tala circled his sleeping body, a hand trailing across his shoulders as she did so. "Maybe. But, still, you could've tried."
"I'm not a clairvoyant, Aki, it's not like I knew what you were thinking all the time."

"Shouldn't you have been able to guess though? I mean, you're my brother after all. We grew up together. You've known me my whole life." Her hand dropped away as she came to stand between Koga and his body, taking a step towards him. "Maybe that's all I really wanted. For you to know me as well as I knew you."
"Maybe."

The crashing of the fall filled the silence. Tala stared at him, a tired look he didn't recognize on her face. "You can't keep going on through life alone, Mas."
"Not really ever alone though, am I?"

"You are," Tala answered sharply. "You don't let anyone in. Not even me. You push everyone else alone, because you think you don't deserve them." Koga didn't respond. He knew she was right. After all, given how the rest of this quest had played out, the specter had some hooks into his mind. No point in denying a figment of his own sub-conscious.

The phantom-Tala lifted a hand, her katana taking shape in the air before her. "Guess we're doin' this, huh?" Koga sighed as he reached for his own sword. "Is this really supposed to help me sometime? Killing you?"
"No. Not really."

Koga's hand halted as it wrapped around the hilt of his sword. Wasn't the whole point of this quest to help him. "It's not about killing me," Tala said, sensing the man's question. Steel flashed as Tala cut the air in between them. "It's about finding the will to live again."

• 3 weeks later...

"You say it like its that easy," Masato sighed drawing his steel.
"Of course its not easy, but you could at least make an effort." Akiara lifted her weapon, a standard mid-guard. No fancy tricks or wild gambits here it seemed.
"Really? You think I haven't?" Masato mirrored the phantom's movement, lifting his own sword in a similar manner. The levelled, steady, blurred from his vision as he focused on his opponent.
"Not really, no. At the very least, acknowledge what you have no. Let go of the past."
"Kinda rich, comin' from you, lookin' like my sister who's famous for her grudges."
"Maybe you should heed her words then. She knows."

The phantom's sword dipped for a moment, before the first movement was even made. Masato matched her, step for step, until steel touched steel. He shifted his weight, turning, letting Akiara slide by. She didn't keep going, like he'd expected. Akiara always missed the subtle change in pressure that preceded the parry. This wasn't Akiara though, not really. The phantom halted, her legs sweeping Masato's out from under him before he landed on his back. Quick to react, bearings not totally lost, Masato slashed at the phantom's legs, bringing her down to his level.

Spoiler

Koga | HP: 860/860 | EN: 108/120 (120 -12) | DMG: 23 | EVA: 2 | MIT: 30 | ACC: 5 | LD: 3 | BRN: 56 | BLT: 32/20 | FALN: 8 | REC: 4 | B.HEALING: 47/94

Fourth Inner Demon | HP: 288/645 (645 -357) | DMG: 345 | MIT: 18

Koga uses ST-I against Fourth Inner Demon
   | 218482, BD nat10, ((12 +3) * (23 +2)) -18
Fourth Inner Demon takes 357 critical damage!

Fourth Inner Demon attacks Koga
   | 218482, MD nat6 -2
Fourth Inner Demon misses

Edited by Koga

It was a quick exchange, with both combatants leaping back to their feet, and away from each other. Space to reorient themselves to their opponent. "You can't be at peace if you don't let go of the past, Mas," Akiara said, the tip of her blade lowering itself towards the ground and behind her.

"I'll find my peace, Aki. Make it." Masato's own weapon slipped into it's saya, silent as it gently fell into the scabbard's embrace. "But I won't do it by 'letting go'." Flames swirled around them both, Masato's blue pushing against the deep scarlet of Akiara's. "I won't let myself forget them. I won't forgive myself until I've helped free everyone I've come to care about from this place. Until I free you." They sank into their stances, heels digging into the dirt. "I've got something worth fighting for again. And the only way I can protect it is by holding onto the mistakes of my past. Next time..."

They shot forward. Past each other, trails of flame lying parallel to each other, both standing where the other started, their swords at their side. "I'll die for them."

The white disappeared, and Koga could feel the water rushing down his back again, the roar becoming a quiet trickling. Okami was sitting on the shore now, waiting, patiently. A soft smile meant neither for himself, nor the wolf. Koga rose, collected his things, and walked back towards town.

Spoiler

Koga | HP: 860/860 | EN: 108/120 | DMG: 23 | EVA: 2 | MIT: 30 | ACC: 5 | LD: 3 | BRN: 56 | BLT: 32/20 | FALN: 8 | REC: 4 | B.HEALING: 47/94

Fourth Inner Demon | HP: 288/645 | DMG: 345 | MIT: 18

Koga uses ST-II against Fourth Inner Demon
   | 218486, BD nat8 +5, DMG ((15 +3)*(23 +8)) -18
Fourth Inner Demon takes 540 Fallen damage
Fourth Inner Demon dies!

Edited by Koga